PDA

View Full Version : Initial reactions on beastmen over, now after nearly a month, what people think?

Zarroc
23-02-2010, 14:23
Initial reactions on beastmen over, now after nearly a month, what people think? there was a lot of hate just before the book come out, and a little just afterwards, but nothing much since

Anyone played with or against the new beastmen? how they go? best units? good charater combo? any interesting tactics?

Anyways, whats the verdict now? they still fail?

Stegadeth
23-02-2010, 14:32
I played them and posted in my BatRep thread. I enjoyed playing against them. They were tough. Bestigors with Great Weapons, the Army-wide Primal Fury rule and the +1 Strength banner chew up elite infantry if they get the charge off! I didn't get to experience too wide of a range of units because my opponent fielded a named character. Gorthor seemed to not really be worth his points in our game.

Ultimate Life Form
23-02-2010, 14:33
It's gotten a bit silent because

a) everything has already been said and discussed to death and

b) we want to forget that horrible tragedy.

After the Chaos incursion that got everyone excited and riled up and mutated the army into a Chaos Spawn, now that their time in the spotlight is over what few Beast players there are retreated into the woods again and gather at the herdstone like in ancient times, while the rest of us who play normal armies are left scarred and horrified by the ordeal. What does the future hold for us? If I wasn't a disciple of the Old Ones, I might become a Flagellant.

The SkaerKrow
23-02-2010, 14:52
The impressions that I get from my group are as follows...

The three new monsters at Rare (Cygor, Ghorgon and Jabberslythe) are good, but are also trap units. Fielding more than one in a 2,250 point army is a heavy investment in points that doesn't usually pay off.

Minotaurs are a similar case. An excellent unit, but the points add up quickly, depriving you of the ability to field sizable numbers of anything else.

The army is predicated on offense. You have very little in the way of anvil units, and most of your troops are fragile. A boost in Toughness mitigates this slightly for some units, but the lack of armored units means that you can rarely afford to take a charge.

At current, the army's magic potential is decidedly unimpressive. Lore of the Wild seems to have ridiculously elevated casting values for most of its spells. The Lores of Shadow, Death and Beasts are serviceable, but still leave something to be desired.

At the end of the day, Beastmen are still a finesse army, they just use different tricks than the old Beasts of Chaos did.

Bac5665
23-02-2010, 15:02
Basically the book seems to be just about how many minotaurs you can take, backed up by 8 to 15 units of 5 ungor raiders. Very little else in the book is worth its points (exceptions being razorgors, Ghorgons, Giants and Cygors). If you take any ranked infantry, except minimum gors for ambushing, you've wasted points. Their magic items are crap, some of the gifts are good.

blackjack
23-02-2010, 15:12
They die to shooting like flies. They do have more flexability than WOC with both shooting, skimishing core and the availablity of fliers.

In local play they seem a mixed bag with a 50/50 win record.

Night Bearer
23-02-2010, 15:15
In my area, nobody was too thrilled by either the new rules or the new models (well, the Gors look good, but the Minos and Razorgor have been completely panned).

Personally, I had been waiting to start a Beastmen army as I have about 30 Khorngors that I got on sale when a local LGS went under. I had even thought of picking up some of the older metal Bloodletters (w/ axes) for use as my Bestigors, with the Khorngors as regular Gors. Really wasn't expecting them to completely drop marks from Beastmen.... :(

Having said that, I still have a niggling desire to start playing them. Mostly as doing an MSU-style Beastmen army seems quite appealing to me.

The SkaerKrow
23-02-2010, 15:27
Basically the book seems to be just about how many minotaurs you can take, backed up by 8 to 15 units of 5 ungor raiders. Very little else in the book is worth its points (exceptions being razorgors, Ghorgons, Giants and Cygors). If you take any ranked infantry, except minimum gors for ambushing, you've wasted points. Their magic items are crap, some of the gifts are good.Tuskgor Chariots are solid hammers, and Core. Harpies are effective march-blockers and can be used to hunt non-Dwarven War Machines (or to kill Hierophants that stray too far from their battle line... :p), Centigors are effective hammer units, and unlike Minotaurs, can actually run down opposing units effectively. Gor Herds are also criminally underrated (and often times improperly used). They have some very good Magic Items in their collection as well (Steel-Claws, Ram Horn Helm, Horn of the First Beast, Hagtree Fetish, Manbane Standard and The Beast Banner are all excellent), without crossing into no-brainer territory.

The only truly bad unit in the book are ranked Ungors, just because they're more or less completely outshined by Gors (I would have liked to have seen Ungor take their Primal Fury test on 3D6, ala' Cold-Blooded, to represent their mean-spirited, spiteful nature, but oh well).

Sygerrik
23-02-2010, 16:00
Minotaurs are horrifying. Razorgors are very dangerous. Skirmishing Ungors are a pain in the neck. Harpies are annoying. Chariots of all kinds, like all chariots everywhere, are exponentially better the more of them you have. Cygors are great, Ghorgons are good, Jabberslythes are ok, Spawn are Spawn.
Mixed bag. If the rumored 8th edition changes are accurate, they'll go into 8th with one of the stronger army books. Right now, they're dawdling in the middle of the road.

Plague.Monk
26-02-2010, 04:39
This was a helpful thread for me honestly haha. I was looking at the Beastmen book and models tonight, and I think the new models are simply awesome (I know not everyone agrees with me on that). I think I may do this as my fantasy army instead of my previous choices due to appearance and a couple other things.

Any helpful hints for what I should work on getting to start this?