PDA

View Full Version : new to orks

sharky 10
23-02-2010, 17:05
Hi as it says im new to 40k new a few basic rules but meh first army is gonna be orks ive currently got a mek dred and 3 kans and codex any tips u cud give me?

WinglessVT2
23-02-2010, 17:10
Buy a black reach set, then play some games.

Tenken
23-02-2010, 17:13
If you got 200 usd buy the ork megaforce. You can squeeze 1200 points right out of that and with your mek, kanz and dread you'll pretty much be ready for 1500 points games. Black reach is also a great investment, you get a 50 dollar rule book, a 25 dollar set of templates and then a whole bunch of orks, which as that point, are just gravy.

Tzeentch Loyalist
23-02-2010, 17:18
If you got 200 usd buy the ork megaforce. You can squeeze 1200 points right out of that and with your mek, kanz and dread you'll pretty much be ready for 1500 points games. Black reach is also a great investment, you get a 50 dollar rule book, a 25 dollar set of templates and then a whole bunch of orks, which as that point, are just gravy.

Not to mention some space marines that you can sell or trade to someone later on.

Nazdrugh
23-02-2010, 17:19
Lots of boyz.

Oh, and read this: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60933

Grax
23-02-2010, 17:30
When in doubt, get more boyz.

Also, you might want to read this post I made a while back:

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/orks/119200-basics.html

sharky 10
23-02-2010, 17:36
yeh im gettin black reach with a mate i want deffcoptas they look awesome

FashaTheDog
23-02-2010, 17:38
So what you can field right now is an HQ (Mek), three models for Heavy Support that can be used as individuals or a squadron (Kans), and another unit that can either be Heavy Support or because of the Big Mek HQ can be a Troops choice (Dread). Now to play you will need 1 HQ and 2 Troops. The Dread cannot claim objectives, which is 2/3 of the victory conditions, because it is a vehicle so you will need some Boyz and maybe some Grots.

As WinglessVT2 said, the Black Reach set will give you what you need to start. Inside you will find a Warboss (HQ), 5 Nobz (Elites), 20 Boys (Troops), and three Deffkoptas (Fast Attack). Combined with what you have you could field somewhere around 700-800 points depending on what you take. You will also end up with some Marines which you can keep as the foundation of a second army (I recommend this), sell or trade (possibly you and your friend could agree to swap minis so you get all the Orks and he the Marines), or keep the Marines and use them for conversion materials. The Marine Dreadnought could easily by converted into another Deffdread for instance.

You can also pursue Ebay and other such sites and see if you can get a better deal there. If you do not mind the older models, the old 2nd Edition, "Grinning Goffs" and Grots tend to sell cheap and can be a quick way to build a few large mobs. Granted they will all be identical, but it is still an option. You also will run across the newer plastics at reasonable prices from time to time as well. That might be a good way to add more later on.

enigma-96
23-02-2010, 17:41
I agree with the above posters more boyz iz always best. On a related note though did you just get those kanz and dread? Are they still in the box? If so take them back like right now, if it was a GW that is, because they essentially konned you, lol get it :p, out of your money/ better plastics. In the beginning of march GW is releasing a new dread and kan models and not only are they a better price for what you get they are plastic and look way better than their clunky predeccesors. If you have the new models or like the old ones then nevermind but if not you should really see about correcting GW's 'mistake'.

Black Reach and a Megaforce as mentioned are also pretty good deals.

cookjg
23-02-2010, 17:45
Good move on Black Reach. The Deafcoptas are nice but the real gem is the rules for the full game. Make sure you end up with them. Other wise, from my limited experience work thought the codex and a few ork armies listed here in the tactics forum. Form an idea of where you want your orks to go and then pick models to support that. My own orks are a varient of the old speed freek mob; battle wagons, trucks, bikes, coptas and boyz (as many as I can get it). Get the Orc Nobs, you will need them. Most ork mobs are power claw delivery systems and the Nobs set is the best place I know to get power claws. Most of all remeber your orks!! Have fun.