PDA

View Full Version : Who to collect: High Elves or Daemons?

Your Mum Rang
23-02-2010, 20:36
Hello all.

I am torn. I am returning to Warhammer after a bit of a long hiatus and want to create myself an elite infantry army. Now this is slightly speculative and based upon the next edition really boosting infantry.

Anyway, I am unsure whether or not to go for Daemons (2 x Daemonette blocks + Bloodletter block then whatever) or High Elves (sexy infantry all round).

Now, what would you guys recommend?

The SkaerKrow
23-02-2010, 20:42
I'd go with High Elves, because there's nothing quite like the look of a well painted High Elf army arrayed on a table. It's still one of the most impressive sights in Warhammer, as far as I'm concerned.

Condottiere
23-02-2010, 20:45
Depends on what your aims are; I doubt that Daemons will actually get greatly nerfed in the next edition.

brendel
23-02-2010, 21:02
My vote is high elves, It would be more pleasing for me to win with them than it would be if I played with Daemons, and I love the look of the army as well.

Solasun
23-02-2010, 21:04
Which would you have fun with? Elite and fighty but daemonic and immune to psych or...

Elite and fighty with dragons and the ability to attack knights before they hit you when the knights charge before flinging themselves on the remaining lances?

Both offer nice looking models, High Elves have more plastic though.

Your Mum Rang
23-02-2010, 21:07
Well, it really depends as I think that there is more plastic on the Daemon side but the HE minis are that much more sexy.

Which army would likely work better as an all-infantry force? (PS I would not take a GD)

Solasun
23-02-2010, 21:12
All four *counts towards minimum* Core choices of Daemons are "block" troops but that's all they have for "infantry" blocks - the rest is cavalry/skirmishers.

High Elves have (not an army I play but) something like 3 Core "blocks" then 3 more blocks in Special/Rare (Phoenix Guard/Swordmasters/White Lions) plus cavalry/monsters/skirmishers

Then again - the Core High Elf stuff is spearmen etc, whilst the Daemon core is closer to the special/rare High Elf blocks.

That said! Only two of the five core choices for Daemons are plastic... compared to uh... everything for High Elves (Correct if wrong plox)

kaubin
23-02-2010, 21:14
I`d go for Daemons, but that just stems from my deep hate for High Elf rules (ASF ALWAYS!!!) and fluff....and I am also a Dark Elf player, so I have to hate them :p

That said, a lot more people will refuse to play your Daemons than your High Elves, they are highly stigmatized, especially by players who haven`t faced them yet, but ESPECIALLY by players who have faced them...

Also, if Elite is your game i`d look into the Mortals, you won`t have to get a lot of models to get a good size army, and you can get them almost all in plastic!

enyoss
23-02-2010, 22:13
I`d go for Daemons, but that just stems from my deep hate for High Elf rules (ASF ALWAYS!!!) and fluff....and I am also a Dark Elf player, so I have to hate them :p

The High Elves have the most intricate, well developed and inspiring background in Warhammer, with the exception of Nagash. It was an early 4th edition masterpiece, and was what first got me into these guys.

I've been collecting High Elves for years, and apart from a few months towards the end of their 6th edition book's lifespan, have never grown tired of them. What's more, the current Army Book makes them eminently more enjoyable to play than before.

I do also play Daemons though, having recently restarted an old 4th edition army. Still, even though they have some nice imagery, they can't even come close to my High Elves when it comes to developing an enthusiasm for the characters and units.

I challenge you, Your Mum Rang, to read the High Elf background and not be inspired to start them as an army. I'll eat my hat if you don't :D.

Crazydu
23-02-2010, 22:50
High Elves :D (not that I'm at all biased being a high elf player ;)). Although I picked them because of their background rather than which army would be best to win games with. I believe you can adapt both armies a lot depending on what you are facing. I guess you have to go with whichever you feel most inspired to play, if you end up being a :cheese:y daemon player then so be it :evilgrin:

sulla
23-02-2010, 23:05
Hello all.

I am torn. I am returning to Warhammer after a bit of a long hiatus and want to create myself an elite infantry army. Now this is slightly speculative and based upon the next edition really boosting infantry.

...snip...

Now, what would you guys recommend?If you want an infantry army, go for HE. They are a much better infantry force than daemons.

Malorian
23-02-2010, 23:07
You seem to like the high elve infantry more, so go with them.

cyberspite
23-02-2010, 23:13
One thing to remember is that HE's get to have up to 6 special choices at 2k, great for lots of elite infantry :D

King_Pash
24-02-2010, 00:43
Another High Elf player chiming in here!

I've chosen to play HE because I loved the imagery and they have some awesome background. Deamons are pretty simple creatures and have a lot of stigma attached to them that will mean they will always be moaned at when you take them out to play.

HE are able to adapt to any environment but yet rarely overpower any phase without heavy investment. This means they are really well balanced and have some very fun toys. They are a wonder to see assembled and are fun (and challenging) to win with.

Go for the elves, dude!

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 01:44
Elite infantry with some numbers actually goes to DE, but HE have the eliteness but not the numbers. With Daemon you will have a even smaller infantry army. HE will be the better choice base on your requirments but if you are doing this soley because of the coming 8th ed, then I would suggest you try DE.

Logan_uc
24-02-2010, 02:15
DoC of course, HE are a bunch of pansys:evilgrin:

Valtiel
24-02-2010, 05:53
Even though I dislike the High Elves for several reasons (and I play Chaos) I think an infantry army with High Elves will looks most awesome and the models are nice. The only time I'd like to see a Daemon army is if it was very nicely themed, like mono-God etc.

Seems like you like HE more as well so go for them!

Desalbert
24-02-2010, 06:01
I second all the notions supporting the High Elf decision. You seem to talk about them with more vigour than you do about the Daemons. And again, I may not play much fantasy, but I hear Daemons are just an "iWin button"* so you'd be better recieved all around with the Elves.

*whether that's a complete fact or a misnomer I can't say; but many who can say, have said just that.

Fobster
24-02-2010, 06:24
There's something on the rumours thread about the high elves getting new models. If your going to go high elves I'd check it out first.

The Red Scourge
24-02-2010, 08:02
Go for ze darkies. They're much more fun than the prissy dandelioneaters - and everyone knows that the only true elf army is the woodies.

Seriously. Ze darkies can give you the best of both world, half naked b/witches, lots of infantry, cheaty over the top infantry, heroes that can fight, magic and blood sacrifice - all only at the cost of growing long black hair and adopting a gloomy attitude :)

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 08:29
dande "lioneaters" - and everyone knows that the only true elf army is.

I agree completely with you.

Darkspear
24-02-2010, 08:45
Elite infantry with some numbers actually goes to DE, but HE have the eliteness but not the numbers. With Daemon you will have a even smaller infantry army. HE will be the better choice base on your requirments but if you are doing this soley because of the coming 8th ed, then I would suggest you try DE.

Actually I would disagree about dark elf using elite infantry. Druchii elite infantry are actually the weakest link of the list (although they are still very good), and nowadays many players only use the blackguard (IF they take any elite infantry at all). A DE army nowadays consist mainly of cavalry and monsters while those less powergaming players will take DE spears and rxbmen in large numbers (which are basic infantry).

Pardon me if i m mistaken, but i think i recall that you were a Woodie elf player. If so i will recommend Daemons.

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 08:58
Druchii elite infantry are actually the weakest link of the list (although they are still very good), and nowadays many players only use the blackguard (IF they take any elite infantry at all).

I rest my case. :D

Bladelord
24-02-2010, 09:27
Go High Elves. They're wonderful both in game terms, how they will look on the battlefield & they're elves;). If you want a good looking infantry army (the best in my opinion) go High Elves. If you want a sexy army between these two, go High Elves. If you want ASF on all your units & not just Daemonettes joined by Herald, go High Elves. yes in an infantry perspective Daemons got more plastic packs than High Elves if you're going 2xDaemonettes & 1 block of Bloodletters. But why not wait until 8th edition where hopefully the elves will be updated (I thought they would get some more updates than just some hero & chariot packs in 7th edition...) & you can always convert your own Swordmasters, White Lions & Phoenix Guard.

Malice&Mizery
24-02-2010, 09:40
Don't let Slaanesh above me tempt you into D.Elves, everyone plays them because they're in the power triad. You also said H.Elves or DoC if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, even though I have a Slaanesh themed DoC army, I have ALWAYS wanted to play H.Elves, but one thing has stopped me and that was the model range on the units I like. (Spears and Swordmasters) The background has always kept me interested though, and to keep my fickle nature interested for so long is just a +1 to the H.Elves, really. If only they had prettier models to bring out thier full potential.

Now I hear rumours of new models, this can only be good news :)

Vermin-thing
24-02-2010, 09:52
Depends if you want to go for modeling or gaming. High Elves have the short end of the stick in terms of how far you can go in conversions, but they tend to be less over powered. ASF gets boring though.

Daemons are a modelers dream, with limitless possibilities for the entire army. Wile daemons might seem not very fun to play with/ageist you can water down the list with a little effort, and some stunning conversions. People would love to play your themed daemon army over a bunch of cards with names written on them. Daemons are by far the more demanding modeling project compared to elves as you have to off set the hard rules with cool models.

If you want daemons I'd suggest picking a god and converting all of the units to fit the theme.

I'm doing a rotting undead horde of nurgle (with a dash a tzeenech) with skeletons, ghoul, decayed suits of armor, and zombie bats. I will use the classic tomb king models for the base of the majority of the conversions.

With one tomb king battalion I can have:

32 plague bearers/horrors on 25mm/25mm by 50mm bases, with 16 plague bearers/horrors/whatever on 2 chariot bases as the bulk of the regiment and the start of a flying chariot of "tzeenech".

Don't let some naysayers cheat you out of a cool army.

Malice&Mizery
24-02-2010, 10:00
That sounds like a cool project, Vermin. I hope you do a log of it. :)

ftayl5
24-02-2010, 10:07
personaly (well i play daemons so..) go with daemons. I would'nt always pick daemons but theres nothing appealing to me about an army of guys wearing skirts... sorry.

If you do pick high elves, you might want to wait a bit, as theres (rumoured) to be new high elf plastics with 8th edition

Garion
24-02-2010, 10:07
High Elves, not many people enjoy playing DoC armies, and High Elves look very impressive on the field of battle once painted.

HannibalSW
24-02-2010, 11:09
High elves - don't like the helmets, but I can't support chaos.

Your Mum Rang
24-02-2010, 13:05
Well that's it. I want some kinda modelling/painting project. Now I find the HE minis inspiring and pretty, I like the idea of reinvigorating my Cult of Slaanesh using different Daemon units to represent different elements of the CoS list.

I lean more towards DoC but if there are new HE models incoming I may wait.

Nuada
24-02-2010, 18:09
High elves - don't like the helmets.

I've got high elves, and i agree with you. I don't like the helmets either.

Some units i haven't bothered to change (eg dragon princes) but with the spearmen i've given them all spartan helmets. Personally i prefer them.....

Vermin-thing
25-02-2010, 02:24
@Malice&Mizery: Thanks for your comment. I certenly will do up a log once I get the army started. I just need to get rid of my empire. :shifty:

If your worried about bring a unfair army to the table simply follow these steps:

1) Don't use the special characters sept for the scribes which are the only somewhat fair characer(s).

2) Don't spam gifts or banners.

3) Keep it two one gift per herald.

4) Don't over do horrors or flamers.

5) Only take greater daemons at 3k+.

6) Theme your army so that when you stomp your opponent they feel better about being beaten by a cool army.