PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ogres vs Centigors

Vadth
24-02-2010, 00:25
I've played a few games with a proxy WoC army and I've come to love Dragon Ogres. However I loathe the models and Ive been looking something I could use in their place. I recently notice the Centigor models on GW's site and I think they look better than Dragon Ogres, and are cheaper. I have not seen either model in person. All my opinions come from the pictures on the website. I know I would have to pick up bigger bases but I was wondering if they are some other issues I haven't thought of from using Centigor instead of Dragon Ogres. Comments please.

evisor
24-02-2010, 00:30
I don't think the centigors look like strength 5, 4 wound creatures. Perhaps a larger unit of miniataurs would do the trick (using the doombull and the like).

I wouldn't mind playing against centigors as dragon ogres though, just a personal preference.

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 01:56
If you don't like the look of Dragon orges, try conversions, order lower torso of dragon orges and find other more suitable upper torso for dragon orge look you desire, look for some reference in the Fantasy Log projects to get a better idea of what you might want.
Nothing works better with a bits of parts customisation or greenstuffing. The proccess is fun too.

If you are doing it for cost...

TBH using centigors as dragon ogres is really underwhelming fluff look wise...wouldn't advise on it.

Devil Tree
24-02-2010, 01:56
Centigors are about the same size as a typical war horse. I agree that the current models suck, there are a few threads on what models would make good conversions or proxies.

Darkspear
24-02-2010, 05:30
Using centigors as dragon orgres, or simply mounting centigors on dragon orgre minis is an act of proxying. No difference from claiming that my skeleton warriors are empire swordsmen.

If you really like the centigor minis so much, u will need tons of conversions to justify your action.

Djekar
24-02-2010, 07:22
I asked about some good Dragon Ogre conversion ideas a while ago, and the one that looked the best (I thought) was the new Dark Elf Cold Ones + Black Orc Bodies (put either the cold one or black orc head on as taste dictates). I don't have any pictures though ...

Peregijn
24-02-2010, 07:59
or do what i did: use coldone bodies without the head. saw the minitour bodies in half and green stuff them together. the ubermussels of the minotours represent the strengt and wounds the slim bodies of the coldones represent there fast movement.

foto (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NkfMpudyqSNQ30x67ohYDQ?feat=directlink)
foto2 (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cyVcxlrAyMpVPCjCXNIL2Q?feat=directlink)

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 09:24
or do what i did: use coldone bodies without the head. saw the minitour bodies in half and green stuff them together. the ubermussels of the minotours represent the strengt and wounds the slim bodies of the coldones represent there fast movement.

foto (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NkfMpudyqSNQ30x67ohYDQ?feat=directlink)
foto2 (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cyVcxlrAyMpVPCjCXNIL2Q?feat=directlink)

OW NICE!!!:p

Bladelord
24-02-2010, 09:30
I got a Night Goblin unit converted into zombies & I use them as slaves, any greenskin on 20x20mm & zombies (my brother even used them as a dwarf block in a tourny:D). So why not, Centigors are better looking than D. Ogres:)

Sherlocko
24-02-2010, 11:11
I think it sounds like a cool idea, but the problem I see is that the centigors have their left hand moulded to the body and ending behind a shield, so it might be hard to equip the dragon ogres.

Poseidal
24-02-2010, 11:43
Centigors will have to change bases, as they're on 25x50mm as I understand, and being metal (I think), this could be difficult to mount. (they'll have to go diagonal).

I found it easier (and slightly cheaper) to go for Cold One + Black Orc. You may need a little bit of Green Stuff work, but it's not too much.

Note you can actually make 5 with those kits, which together work out a bit cheaper than the Centigor box. Apart from Green Stuff, the only part from outside those kits is the belly plate which is a Chaos Marauder shield. If you have any Marauders in your army (or Marauder Horsemen), you're bound to have plenty spare.

Orcboy_Phil
24-02-2010, 11:52
Centigors will have to change bases, as they're on 25x50mm as I understand, and being metal (I think), this could be difficult to mount. (they'll have to go diagonal).

I found it easier (and slightly cheaper) to go for Cold One + Black Orc. You may need a little bit of Green Stuff work, but it's not too much.

Note you can actually make 5 with those kits, which together work out a bit cheaper than the Centigor box. Apart from Green Stuff, the only part from outside those kits is the belly plate which is a Chaos Marauder shield. If you have any Marauders in your army (or Marauder Horsemen), you're bound to have plenty spare.

They look cool and the are the same idea I had for my Dracogors (read centigors), I just used a Gors body on a cold one, they look good, except my crappy greenstuffed fur.

The SkaerKrow
24-02-2010, 13:33
Those look excellent, Poseidal.

R-Love
24-02-2010, 22:09

That's a great idea, but it looks far to front heavy to feel right (I can only imagine how often they must fall over). It would likely have worked better had you used a larger creature such as a Carnosaur with the Mino, or a smaller like a Gor with the Cold One. Great idea though, might wind up stealing it for a Shaggoth ;) (with aforementioned Carny)

Peregijn
24-02-2010, 22:25
That's a great idea, but it looks far to front heavy to feel right (I can only imagine how often they must fall over). It would likely have worked better had you used a larger creature such as a Carnosaur with the Mino, or a smaller like a Gor with the Cold One. Great idea though, might wind up stealing it for a Shaggoth ;) (with aforementioned Carny)

wel actualy they dont fal over. the mintor bit is verry light and the most heavy part is the greenstuff. yes the toppel more easely true but much less than i thought they would.
and indeed no that they are build i am thinking that i schould have used as smaller upper body. but those mussles are realy showing the overkill S7 that dragon ogres have with greatwapons... smaller upper bodys yust wouldn't doe it for me.

i didn't think of using it for a shagoth i might steel that idee from you, i doe have a carnosaur in my bit box some where...

R-Love
25-02-2010, 02:42
wel actualy they dont fal over. the mintor bit is verry light and the most heavy part is the greenstuff. yes the toppel more easely true but much less than i thought they would.
and indeed no that they are build i am thinking that i schould have used as smaller upper body. but those mussles are realy showing the overkill S7 that dragon ogres have with greatwapons... smaller upper bodys yust wouldn't doe it for me.

i didn't think of using it for a shagoth i might steel that idee from you, i doe have a carnosaur in my bit box some where...

Again, it's not that they're bad, it's just a size problem that bothers me. I can't really describe it, they just look unnatural. The difference in scale between the two halves just ruins it for me. This is just personal preference, however, and if you like them, that's all that really matters, right? :p

Ayliffe
25-02-2010, 03:26
I used chaos knights, and Centaurized them. They look good, but i haven't painted them yet. When i do i'll try to remember to post some pictures if people are interested.

Peregijn
25-02-2010, 06:30
@ R-love: wel if some of my conversions dont realy work out i always think: i play chaos it isn't supposed yo look natural :p and than i habpely throw some tantecals and spare bits on a model :D