PDA

View Full Version : stylistic crisis

unheilig
24-02-2010, 08:17
so i am building a death korps army (using the IG codex). it is also important to note i primarily play apocalypse, but want to be ready for normal games of 40k.

now, i understand the tactical usefulness of the vendetta... but it just doesnt look death korps to me. i just cant get the apache helicopter out of my head when i see the valkyrie/vendetta...

now in apocalypse, i can have thunderbolt fighters... (their look feels "right" to me), but that would mean in regular 40k games, i have no gunships.

would i be screwing myself? can IG do well without valks/vendettas? would most players accept thunderbolts as "counts as" vendettas in regular 40k games?

what is your take, warseer?

Binky
24-02-2010, 08:24
I encountered the same problem, I like the Valkyrie but it doesn't really fit with the DK. I thought that if I ever did want to use Valkyries I'd add a platoon of Elysians and think of it as a joint operation!

Prokrustes
24-02-2010, 08:24
Well, given that you feel that they dont fit your theme I wouldnt take them.
It surely must be possible to play IG without valkyries/vendettas?

MetalGecko23
24-02-2010, 08:27
You could use the Vulture with punisher gattling cannons that doesn't feel apache to me, though a-10 comes to mind. Which I know isn't a valkyrie or vendetta but it can be used in regular 40k.

AndrewGPaul
24-02-2010, 08:31
but it just doesnt look death korps to me. i just cant get the apache helicopter out of my head when i see the valkyrie/vendetta...

The Valkyrie shouldn't "look Death Korps"; it's a navy plane after all. If you want one, paint it differently to your ground vehicles and don't put any Death korps infantry in it, job done. If you don't want one, don't take one.

now in apocalypse, i can have thunderbolt fighters...

And they do look Death Korps, despite having the same design cues as the Valkyrie? :confused: Each to their own, I suppose.

ehlijen
24-02-2010, 08:33
Rocket propelled mini-Zeppelins?

unheilig
24-02-2010, 08:41
And they do look Death Korps, despite having the same design cues as the Valkyrie? :confused: Each to their own, I suppose.

i think its because fighter jets are one thing, but the valk looks more like an attack helicopter, which feels more anachronistic in DK scheme of things.

unheilig
24-02-2010, 08:42
Rocket propelled mini-Zeppelins?

oooh. i like the way you think.

ehlijen
24-02-2010, 09:52
oooh. i like the way you think.

Yay! That makes two of you in as many decades! :D

meno1
24-02-2010, 11:43
Well, I'd say use the Valkyrie rules and model a German looking Valk. If not, then simply paint the Valkyries in a different scheme give them different badges and voula the Imperial Navy has been sent as fire-support for a DKoK regiment who have been encountering airborne hostiles.

Thud
24-02-2010, 11:55
It's perfectly viable to run a Guard list without Valkyries/Vendettas, so I say screw 'em. ;)

Petay1985
24-02-2010, 11:59
i chose other - i think you shoud stick to your theme and not use the gunships, but i do not see this as a hinderance, the guard codex allows plenty of opportunies for a variety of units! simply use something else!

Ironhand
24-02-2010, 12:03
I'm doing much the same thing. I'm buiding a Cadian force that's all tanks and armored infantry, and then a Catachan airmobile force that has Valkyries and Vendettas.

An IG force without Valkyries and Vendettas is perfectly viable.

sigur
24-02-2010, 12:19
Your army can work just as well without Valkyries. People will appreciate you sticking to your theme.

Perfect Organism
24-02-2010, 16:22
Valkyries take up slots you can use for Death Riders.

This is not acceptable.

Also, krieg air support should be painted like Von Richthofen's flying circus.

Absolutionis
24-02-2010, 16:29
Convert them. Make them zeppelins or weathered Ospreys or even C&C-style VTOLS. Those things are so high off the table that TLOS won't be an issue ever. Unless we're playing in a land of skyscrapers, I will see your Valks.

massey
24-02-2010, 17:01
I love the zeppelin idea, as well as the flying circus idea. Perhaps you could model them to be biplanes? Not sure how you'd do that, though. But it would be awesome.

Aurellis
24-02-2010, 17:35
Don't bother with the Valkyrie/Vendettas, take the Thunderbolt and use it in both Apocalypse and 40k.

Have you considered using Imperial Armour so you can use the Thunderbolt in normal games of 40k as well?

unheilig
24-02-2010, 19:09
Don't bother with the Valkyrie/Vendettas, take the Thunderbolt and use it in both Apocalypse and 40k.

Have you considered using Imperial Armour so you can use the Thunderbolt in normal games of 40k as well?

totally slipped my mind. i will definitely do that.

plus, in 40k tourneys and such, i would hate to miss a chance to show off my death korps riders...

jason_sation
24-02-2010, 19:51
haha, I like the zepplin idea. I guess a DK Red Baron flying around in a Fokker would be good too!

Clang
25-02-2010, 05:18
Zeppelins would be totally kool. I think there were some bizarre WW1 bombers with triplane fronts and backs, which would also be fluffy. Building such things may not be so easy though - don't know what right-sized kits are available.

Or go mad and just build something that looks like a WW1 flying tank - so long as it looks WW1ish and is the right size, I don't think anyone will complain.