PDA

View Full Version : 40k noob & Witch Hunters

badgeraddict
24-02-2010, 11:00
Hi all,

I've never really properly played 40k before. My club (see sig) is having a small 500pt doubles tournament, and I reckon this would be a great way for me to experience the game.

Is it that much different from Fantasy in terms of rules? I get that it is more skirmished based, I play Wood Elves.

Also Witch Hunters. I had some models years ago which I thought where great. I like the whole 'BLASPHEMEY! BURN HIM!' thing going on. Are they due for a new book/models any time soon? Are they a good army for a noob to start with?

Cheers,

Badgeradict.

meno1
24-02-2010, 11:28
For a noob to start with, not really. While they're a bit like the marines, they involve more close quarters fighting, and cost a hell of a lot more! If you already have models look at the codex, see if you can make a decent army out of them and go ahead!

If not, choose a cheaper and more foolproof army. Marines and Orks are cheapest, but just stay clear of some of the older marine codexes, necrons, DE and DH/WH. These are probably the most tricky armies for a beginner to play.

And no, there is no sign of a new WH codex or models coming anytime soon:(

WinglessVT2
24-02-2010, 12:11
It's a tactical game, whereas fantasy is more reliant on initial strategy.
Movement is just as important as in fantasy, but actual fights are much quicker and bloodier, and you get something for keeping units in support of each other.

The whole system also favors offensive action, and there are extremely few 'but's' that change this. For instance, chargers will have a serious advantage over whatever they're charging, and strength in numbers pays off grandly in mle - not because you have 15 dudes behind your 5 at the front, but because all 20 get to attack with multiple hits each.

Witchhunters aren't n00b-friendly per se, but you could do much worse, as the book is capable of some very nasty builds, and some of its units are very powerful.
Sisters in rhinos is the way to go, supported by celestians in immolators.

sigur
24-02-2010, 12:17
Any army is just as good for beginners as any other. Just go for what you like. :) 40k definately is different but you'll get a hang on it real quickly eventhough some rules will sound totally bogus to you being used to WHFB.

badgeraddict
24-02-2010, 14:52
Is the Exorcist tank a good choice? What about the Ordinance strike that is available with an Inquisitor Lord?

WinglessVT2
24-02-2010, 15:04
The exorcists may very well be the best anti-tank platform in the game currently.

That large blast is costly, and never does much of anything - same with the lord.
Pretty much anything that's part of the inquisition is useless. It's the same for both demonhunters and witchhunters, sadly.

Fielding stuff like penitent engines, demonhosts, elite inquisitors, or 'the throne of judgement' is comparable to picking Dan Hibiki in street fighter.

badgeraddict
24-02-2010, 15:06
So if an Inquisitor Lord is not the way to go, what else would you suggest?

I would have thought the retinue would make him more appealing somewhat?

WinglessVT2
24-02-2010, 15:10
Focus on sisters.
They're very cheap, very killy, and extremely powerful, despite what their stats and gear may tell you.

Inquisitor lords are extremely expensive, and not that killy for the cost.
The ones available to demonhunters can be made into shooting monsters, but even then, their defenses are still glass.

They're extremely cool, so I break mine out sometimes, with his horribly expensive retinue, but it's far from optimal, or even that wise to do.

Sisters get extremely cheap and killy leaders, that have access to a wide range of equipment and abilities that make other characters fear them.

badgeraddict
24-02-2010, 15:16
Yeah? Could you show me an example 500pt sisters list?

WinglessVT2
24-02-2010, 15:35
Most certainly.

Something like this should be nice, fast, and fun.

10 sisters, twin meltaguns, veteran superior, best-selling book of fantasy stubborn.

10 sisters, twin meltaguns, veteran superior, best-selling book of fantasy stubborn.

Palatine/cannoness with some cheap gear.
4 celestian bodyguard, twin flamers, immolator transport.

Should end up somewhere around 500.
Do note, that under 1.5k points, you're not playing the game, and most books can't even make actual armies below that.

badgeraddict
24-02-2010, 15:39
The club is doing a doubles tournament. Each player takes 500pts.

What is the best selling book?

wazatdingder
24-02-2010, 15:40
Yeah? Could you show me an example 500pt sisters list?

Go to the army list forum, I'm sure there are plenty of lists people have posted that you can read crits of.

The danger you may have with Witch Hunters is it is easy to get caught up in the "cool" stuff. While these may be useful in moderation, in large games, at 500 pts you may have to play a more "boring" list than you want.

WinglessVT2
24-02-2010, 15:42
It's a 5-point piece of gear, that's available to all sisters with access to the armory, called the book of saint Lucius.
It gives them stubborn, stolen straight from warhammer fantasy.

In this game, that means they'll almost never run away from anyone or anything, and you need to grind them to death.

Because they can endow themselves with an invulnerable save equal to their armor save, even small units take forever to destroy.

wazatdingder
24-02-2010, 15:43
The club is doing a doubles tournament. Each player takes 500pts.

What is the best selling book?

Book of St. Lucius.

Maturin
24-02-2010, 15:44
Pretty much anything that's part of the inquisition is useless. It's the same for both demonhunters and witchhunters, sadly.

Fielding stuff like penitent engines, demonhosts, elite inquisitors, or 'the throne of judgement' is comparable to picking Dan Hibiki in street fighter.

I'll point out a couple of exceptions to this rule (which I agree with in general - and I play DH). Both involve allying them into other lists; this is probably the best use of Inquisitional units currently.

The first is Inquisitorial Storm Troopers - they're a great, cheap unit with BS4 and the ability to take twin meltas or plasmas. And you can ally them into any Imperial list.

Second, Inquisitors (elite or Lords) are great as anti-deep strike defenses, and the Lords as anti-psykers thanks to our unlimited-range psychic hoods.

In the game today, both of these are valuable traits.

Harold Zoid
24-02-2010, 15:53
Focus on sisters.
They're very cheap, very killy, and extremely powerful, despite what their stats and gear may tell you.
Eh? They cost the same as a sm tactical squad and more than a greyhunter squad. Effective - yes. Cheap - definitely not.
Still, they are the basic unit of a strong witchhunter army. Mechanised sisters are the best variant of wh rosters in terms of power.

LonelyPath
24-02-2010, 15:59
WH Inquisitors aren't anti-DS, but DH ones are (thanks to Mystics).

At 500pts, Witch Hunters aren't that great, but packing all those stubborn power armoured troops along with the among of good AP weapons (meltas) and flamers does give them a bit of a boost even though they've very short range. But the list given as an example above is a great example of a starting point.

Maturin
24-02-2010, 16:09
WH Inquisitors aren't anti-DS, but DH ones are (thanks to Mystics).

Whoops, my bad. Getting my retinues mixed up. :)

LonelyPath
24-02-2010, 16:56
Whoops, my bad. Getting my retinues mixed up. :)

Don't worry, I have both DH and WH and sometimes do it myself, causing me to refer to the codexi to be certain which is which, lol.

badgeraddict
24-02-2010, 19:11
Book of St. Lucius.

Ah I see! :D

sigur
24-02-2010, 19:35
I really strongly suggest reading up on the Witch Hunters tactica instead of turning this thread into a 15 pages tactics thread.

badgeraddict
24-02-2010, 19:38
Roger that.

I'll close the thread.