PDA

View Full Version : Can I combine Chaos 'affiliates' into a kick-ass army?

Nunnja
24-02-2010, 15:22
Salutations people.

Having grown bored beyond belief with do-gooding Brettonians, I fancy starting a Chaos army, but one thing holds me back: Warriors of Chaos, Daemons of Chaos, and Beastmen all seem to have separate army books, leading me to believe that they're intended to be dealt with as separate armies.

So my question is this: Can I combine units from these forces into one army?

My (possibly too logical) reasoning would be "Hey, we're all the minions of Chaos, amiright?", and that Daemons etc will gladly fight alongside Ungor and Chaos warriors.

Looking forward to some sound advice, with thanks! :)

Jack of Blades
24-02-2010, 15:29
You can make house rules for it but officially you aren't allowed to. I wouldn't have a problem with it though and I'm sure many others, especially old Chaos players themselves wouldn't either.

jullevi
24-02-2010, 15:35
Rules-wise Warriors of Chaos, Daemons of Chaos and Beastmen are now as separate armies as High Elves, Dark Elves and Wood Elves, for example. In 6th edition you were able to mix the armies and use Mortals, Daemons and Beasts in one army, but GW decided to change it for 7th edition and make the armies totally separate. Not all players were happy with the change as they were left with bunch of models that could not be used anymore.

tezdal
24-02-2010, 15:44
Meh house rule it, don't let GW facism hold ya down

Condottiere
24-02-2010, 15:45
You could try contingent rules, similar to taking Kislev.

Sygerrik
24-02-2010, 15:46
I think whether or not people would accept it in friendly games depends very much on what you take. If you take an army with Chaos Knights and Tzeentch sorcerors along with Flamers and a Cygor, people would probably complain more than if you did a "fluffy" army with Warriors of Khorne, Minotaurs and Bloodletters.

Yes, it all used to be allowed, but in practice people didn't do really hybridized "combined" lists that often (especially since Daemons, which were only in the WoC book, were mostly pants outside of SoC). I must have played dozens if not hundreds of games against the old HoC book back when you could mix and match with BoC and I could count the number of times I played against a list with more than one or two choices from another book on the fingers of one hand. I sympathize with the WoC players feeling they have lost options, but the WoC armies I play against these days are similar in form to the WoC armies in days of yore.

Ultimate Life Form
24-02-2010, 16:19
No. Absolutely no.

Nunnja
24-02-2010, 18:36
Thanks for the many useful replies guys; from back when I first started playing in the mid 90's I dimly recalled multi-disciplinary armies being used, but I was totally focussed on 40K then and wasn't sure if GW had allowed this to continue. Seems not, so I guess I have to either make a choice, or find some players willing to let me unleash Daemonettes, Chaos Knights, and a Forge World Bloodthirster on them!

Again, many thanks to everyone who pitched in to answer my question :)

TheDarkDuke
24-02-2010, 21:13
No you can't, how about trying to learn how to play one of them, instead of trying to make some ubber army by combining the three.

Hey, I've got an idea, how about taking whatever units you like from every army book to make whatever army you want.:wtf:

I sure as hell woulden't play you.

or you know before assuming hes trying to power game, maybe just MAYBE he actually remembered a little while ago when the armies could be combined and that the army was ACTUALLY fun back then instead of what we have now (sure stronger armies in general but boring as hell).

As to the original poster your best bet is to use one of the armies and just use counts as for certain models maybe like demonettes as forsaken or something a bloodthirster as a (sadly weak) demon prince.

Odin
24-02-2010, 21:18
or you know before assuming hes trying to power game, maybe just MAYBE he actually remembered a little while ago when the armies could be combined and that the army was ACTUALLY fun back then instead of what we have now (sure stronger armies in general but boring as hell).

QFT.

I'm about as far from a power gamer as it's possible to get, but I desperately want to be able to take daemons and beasts with my mainly WoC army, because that's the army I've collected for the last 20 years! It really annoys me when people have the attitude of Midevil216, why should it be such a bad thing to want to use the army I have collected for 20 years? I expect to have to change it from time to time as the rules change, but I did not expect my army to be ripped into 3 boring separate parts.

Catferret
24-02-2010, 21:26
You could take the 5th ed approach to Chaos where you bought small warbands. You started with a character (Daemon, Mortal or Beast) then bought a unit or 2 from his race. Repeat until you hit points limit.

Can't remember the exact rules for it as I don't have the book handy just now, but I'm sure somebody has it close by who can elaborate.

The Red Scourge
24-02-2010, 21:52
Making house rules is half the fun of warhammer. Funny that noone frowns upon conversions, which is practically the same thing just in another aspect of the hobby.

The great thing about is that it is quite easy to adjust the house rules later, if they should prove unbalanced - unlike the GW rules set in stone attitude towards this - and its not as if GWs rules are balanced in the first place :D

Odin
25-02-2010, 00:01
You could take the 5th ed approach to Chaos where you bought small warbands. You started with a character (Daemon, Mortal or Beast) then bought a unit or 2 from his race. Repeat until you hit points limit.

Can't remember the exact rules for it as I don't have the book handy just now, but I'm sure somebody has it close by who can elaborate.

If I recall correctly, each retinue used to have to consist of one character and at least an equal points value of units from the same section (man, beast or daemon), and of the same alignment (not sure how Chaos Undivided worked).

Making house rules is half the fun of warhammer. Funny that noone frowns upon conversions, which is practically the same thing just in another aspect of the hobby.

The great thing about is that it is quite easy to adjust the house rules later, if they should prove unbalanced - unlike the GW rules set in stone attitude towards this - and its not as if GWs rules are balanced in the first place :D

QFT again.

I'll probably dig the old book out and use that as the basis for house rules for mixing the armies (my regular opponents are perfectly happy for me to put the Chaos army back together).

I was going to start posting our house rules online (including army book fixes), but with 8th edition coming soon I'm not sure it's worth it, as we will almost certainly have to make some changes.

Lijacote
25-02-2010, 01:44
If you dare to play a fluffy army, where daemons manifest alongside mortals and beasts attack alongside, the police will come and arrest you. I can promise you they'll give you at least 5 years for having initiative.

Vermin-thing
25-02-2010, 01:49
Counts as. It's as simple as that. Just let your opponent know whats's what. Don't like the less than desirable chaos warrior models? Just use bestigors or daemons instead! Just be sure to keep the weapons the same.

ZigZagMan
25-02-2010, 04:10
I'd say pick one book, then anything you want from the other books go up one rarity type Core-> Special-> Rare. This disallows rares from the books that aren't your own (sorry). Also only allow characters from your main book to stop from double dipping magic items.

Troah
25-02-2010, 04:13
You could combined Chaos Spawns with a gallon of He-Man, 1/4 teaspoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 2/5 tablespoon of Hookers, 1/3 ounce Jack Black, and 1/2 a cup of popcorn for all I care as long as we have a good time!

Mmmmmmmm.....popcorn.

machina
25-02-2010, 05:23
I'd say pick one book, then anything you want from the other books go up one rarity type Core-> Special-> Rare. This disallows rares from the books that aren't your own (sorry). Also only allow characters from your main book to stop from double dipping magic items.

I think this would be a reasonable way of doing it.

Angelwing
25-02-2010, 05:30
You could follow the Dogs of War example, in that pick one army as the parent army and then pick anything you want from the other two books but have it count as a rare choice for the parent army.
Or, as my old gaming circle has a 4th ed chaos 'house' army, we used the ravening horde booklet and just mixed and matched the units, but keeping the same character, core, special and rare slots.

Sygerrik
25-02-2010, 05:37
I will tell you that I would feel 100% better about playing you if you were playing mono-god across three armies (well, two, since Beasts get no marks). If I saw an army with Khornate cavalry, Slaaneshi marauders, Tzeentch wizards, a Plaguebearer Herald BSB in a Plaguebearer unit, Flamers, Flesh Hounds, the Masque and some Beastmen rare monsters, I would refuse to play it. If I saw a list with Khornate knights, Khornate marauders, Bloodletters, Flesh Hounds, Minotaurs, and no magic-users of any kind, I'd feel a lot better about setting up across from it.

The first army sounds like you're min-maxing. The second sounds like you honestly care about having a fluffy Chaotic horde.

Nunnja
25-02-2010, 06:53
Thanks again for all the advice guys and gals!

I think my best bet is to go down the route of having a one-God army, but for the purposes of my own aesthetic satisfaction, having a full-on 'old school' HoC type horde :p

And as for being an 'uber' gamer? I have no idea what one is, but in tactical terms I am to Generalship what the BNP are to racial harmony :)

The Red Scourge
25-02-2010, 10:22
I think your best bet is to discuss it with the guys you actually play with :)

Odin
25-02-2010, 11:12

Yeah, that's the other option for our house rule. Possibly Rare units count as 2 rare slots (like DoW Maneaters). So if a warrior army wanted to take a Cygor it would use up two Rare slots.

I'd like to find a suitable way to include characters though.

Dark_Knight
25-02-2010, 11:17
Yep, house rules is the way to go!

Tymell
25-02-2010, 11:42
Go for it :)

Having fun is always the most important thing. You might not be allowed it in some tournament settings (which does, to be fair, make sense, because these armies will have been balanced with their own internal balances in mind), but most would happily play you. And heck, it is Chaos after all! ;)

No you can't, how about trying to learn how to play one of them, instead of trying to make some ubber army by combining the three.

Hey, I've got an idea, how about taking whatever units you like from every army book to make whatever army you want.:wtf:

And I sure as hell wouldn't play someone with an attitude like yours. Nor would a lot of people.

Zarroc
25-02-2010, 13:26

Agreed with you 100 percent

Serously why the hell should u be able to mix and much units from 3 different books, and create uber super death list, regardless of whether u make it a house rule to do so, its just wrong and unfair on whoever your playing, unless you let them mix and match from other books

Not only that, u have up to 3 different books to sort threw in differenet sitautions, its going to waste time

I dont care if people make house rules, but you dont go over board with them

I wouldnt play it, and i doubt anyone from my local GW and gaming group would

squiggoth
25-02-2010, 13:53
Yes, because as they are now the Chaos armies are all very well balanced. Adding Chaos Warriors and Ungors to a Daemon Army would make those cute and cuddly daemons very nasty, and Beastmen are a bloody broken super cheesy death army list right now with four super duper uber cheap and useful monsters and T4 core infantry with horns and hooves so they certainly don't need any "ubber" units. :D

As a sidenote, why do so many kids these days fail to spell 'you' properly?

Tymell
25-02-2010, 14:23
I wouldnt play it, and i doubt anyone from my local GW and gaming group would

Wow, I'm glad I don't live in that area.

"Combining lists that represent different parts of one force? Ones that have often been in the same official lists in the past? Which are very frequently described in the background as side-by-side? For fun?! HERESY!"

Sounds like a real barrel of laughs :rolleyes:

Nunnja
25-02-2010, 14:56
Tymell, you're a legend :)

Jack of Blades
25-02-2010, 15:35

"Combining lists that represent different parts of one force? Ones that have often been in the same official lists in the past? Which are very frequently described in the background as side-by-side? For fun?! HERESY!"

This post must be quoted for truth :cool:

Pendant of Cheese on Dragon with a pair of Hydras?
Double Steam Tank and Arch Lector?
Three big horror blocks and a bunch of wizards?
... but combining Chaos armies with the opponent's consent?! how DARE you! :mad:

I listed that cheese and no balanced options on purpose to show dumb and prejudiced it is to think that everything will be abused if it can be - of course no one would want to play against Pendant of Cheese on Dragon with a pair of Hydras. But not every Dark Elf army is like that. Which is why it's so retarded to immediately start suggesting that every Chaos combined army will be.

Condottiere
25-02-2010, 16:23
With some restraint on the part of the player, it's quite possible to create a list that isn't over the top.

tw1386
25-02-2010, 16:36
The only problem with combining all three armies is what some people have mentioned already is that there is no internal balance between the armies that used to have it. Even mono-god aries would be tough as nails to crack, not that it matters if it's for fun though!

If you really want to do it, go for it. Just make sure your opponents agree and that you have some logical restrictions in place to make it fun and fair. Idk about you but facing a Bloodthirster, Chaos Knights, Gorebulls, Minotaurs, and Dragon Ogres with different combos of core troops would be disgusting.

Now only if they'd let e cobine Wood Elves, High Elves, and Dark Elves into one army! Or Tomb Kings and VC, I mean they are all related with the former being one book.

Condottiere
25-02-2010, 16:53
I'm fairly certain the HE and DE contingents would have to make a continuous series of leadership tests not to attack each other.

Tymell
25-02-2010, 17:16
Tymell, you're a legend :)

This post must be quoted for truth :cool:

Thank you both :)

I'm fairly certain the HE and DE contingents would have to make a continuous series of leadership tests not to attack each other.

Yeah, and probably likewise for the Tomb Kings considering they exiled the Vampires from their land in the first place.

Ultimate Life Form
25-02-2010, 17:33
This thread's title is 'Can I combine Chaos 'affiliates' into a kick-ass army?'

The answer is still no, and any other answer is wrong.

If the question would have been 'May I combine Chaos 'affiliates' into a kick-ass army?', the answer would be 'why do you post this here? Ask your opponent if he's okay with it/stupid enough to let you cherrypick a 'kick-ass army''.

Tymell
25-02-2010, 17:50
This thread's title is 'Can I combine Chaos 'affiliates' into a kick-ass army?'

The answer is still no, and any other answer is wrong.

If the question would have been 'May I combine Chaos 'affiliates' into a kick-ass army?', the answer would be 'why do you post this here? Ask your opponent if he's okay with it/stupid enough to let you cherrypick a 'kick-ass army''.

Yes, but if you read beyond the thread title and into the opening post, it says he wants to do it because he thinks it sounds like a cool idea, not because he's trying to cherry-pick an army that will win all the time. If he wanted that you wouldn't -need- to cherry pick: just go with daemons :p

The answer to whether it's technically allowed is indeed "No", but as many have noted, plenty of players would have no objections to it.

Presumably he's asking for the same reason everyone asks these sort of questions on here: to see what general opinion is before under-taking the task of building such an army.

I stress that I'm not "correcting" you or anything, just pointing out that there's nothing to suggest he wants to combine them for gain in-game.

Nunnja
25-02-2010, 19:39
Presumably he's asking for the same reason everyone asks these sort of questions on here: to see what general opinion is before under-taking the task of building such an army.

I stress that I'm not "correcting" you or anything, just pointing out that there's nothing to suggest he wants to combine them for gain in-game.

Spot on Tymell (and others who took a sensible stance) - I am indeed asking simply because, as a predominantly collector/modeller hobbyist, I think about the aesthetics first and the playability later.

Anyone concerned that I'm trying to create some kind of 'best of the best' army to make life miserable for my opponents really needs to relax: the actual gaming aspect is of little interest to me, and I prefer to have fun than massage my ego through winning at a game :)

decker_cky
25-02-2010, 19:44
Honestly....I can think of one combination that's going to be harder than just plain daemons, which is daemons with hounds or ungor skirmishers. Upping the slots and limit the character mixing from focussing on all the most powerful choices and you probably won't put together anything too insane.

Midevil216
25-02-2010, 19:59
Spot on Tymell (and others who took a sensible stance) - I am indeed asking simply because, as a predominantly collector/modeller hobbyist, I think about the aesthetics first and the playability later.

Anyone concerned that I'm trying to create some kind of 'best of the best' army to make life miserable for my opponents really needs to relax: the actual gaming aspect is of little interest to me, and I prefer to have fun than massage my ego through winning at a game :)

Really?!? Because the title of the thread is
Can I combine Chaos 'affiliates' into a kick-ass army?
Sure sounds to me like you want to win..win!!...WIN!!!! at any cost.

It would be eaiser to play and old edition when the army Legaly could be combined.

Tymell
25-02-2010, 20:04
Really?!? Because the title of the thread is
Can I combine Chaos 'affiliates' into a kick-ass army?
Sure sounds to me like you want to win..win!!...WIN!!!! at any cost.

It would be eaiser to play and old edition when the army Legaly could be combined.

Describing an army as "kick-ass" could refer to it's look, background or overall feel, not just gaming effectiveness. If I see a well-converted army with a good theme, for instance, I would describe it as kick-ass, regardless of how good it might be in game.

And indeed, right there in the opening post he says "My (possibly too logical) reasoning would be "Hey, we're all the minions of Chaos, amiright?", and that Daemons etc will gladly fight alongside Ungor and Chaos warriors."

So sounds more like he just wants to combine it because it makes sense to him. Which he affirms right there in that post you just quoted.

If you still choose to believe he's only doing it for gaming effectiveness, well I guess that's your problem. But I see no reason to assume that. Putting the Chaos forces together is hardly stretching the imagination, and he wouldn't be alone in thinking it makes sense.

Midevil216
25-02-2010, 20:07
Describing an army as "kick-ass" could refer to it's look, background or overall feel, not just gaming effectiveness. If I see a well-converted army with a good theme, for instance, I would describe it as kick-ass, regardless of how good it might be in game.

And indeed, if you'd read the opening post, you'd see the poster says "My (possibly too logical) reasoning would be "Hey, we're all the minions of Chaos, amiright?", and that Daemons etc will gladly fight alongside Ungor and Chaos warriors."

So sounds more like he just wants to combine it because it makes sense to him.

Thats fine, then play 6th edition.

Eta
25-02-2010, 20:08
Just get the old Hordes of Chaos armybook and play with these rules. Shouldn't be an issue in friendly games.

Greetings
Eta

Midevil216
25-02-2010, 20:14
Just get the old Hordes of Chaos armybook and play with these rules. Shouldn't be an issue in friendly games.

Greetings
Eta

Theres a good idea, none of this combining the 3 new books b.s.

Tymell
25-02-2010, 20:17

And that opinion is also okay. If you don't think it's acceptable, then fine, no worries. It's your choice, since it isn't actually supported in the rules, and you'd be perfectly entitled to say "No, I don't want to play against that". The OP is trying to get an idea of general opinion after all, so if there are some who would disagree with it it's best to know that. It's just not a reason to throw out accusations of power-gaming or sound quite so hostile in the face of a simple (and fairly logical) question.

ShaggothLord
26-02-2010, 02:24
D. Ouchebag (hey, here's an idea, I stole your next riposte by calling myself D. Ouchebag before you could. Sorry 'bout that, guv. :p )

Owned. I personally would also be fine with it as long as you verify beforehand and didn't min/max. I think this can be done by making a general HAVE a mark( I guess that means no Beastmen unless rules are made) and only units with that mark can be in the army, and Beastmen Core and Special are auto moved to special, and Beastmen rare choices can only be taken corresponding to a respective god. ( Jabberwock Khorne, etc.)

Another idea I've been considering for personal use is making a Khorne army. All units must have Mark of Khorne, and the general still reflects core/special/rare composition. If people are not happy with it, I can switch it to Demons, Khornate Beastmen being Slaanesh since they are fast, and Warriors representing Nurgle due to resiliency.

Zarroc
26-02-2010, 13:05

Just because something was done in that past, doesnt mean you can do it now or in the future

Past is past, that is all

The game changed, theres 3 books for the chaos forces, and each have powerful combos, so no, you shouldnt be allowed to mix and match from them, regardless of if it was how it use to be

Change with the times people!!!

Oh and so you know, my gaming group isnt a bunch of noops, who just play for fun, we are all power gamers, and do the best with what army we collect, and none of them would agree to play a ****** non official 3 army mixed list, and i also doubt, that at any GW store, you would be able to do such a thing, so a total waste of time even attemping such a stupid idea

Tymell
26-02-2010, 13:30
Just because something was done in that past, doesnt mean you can do it now or in the future

Past is past, that is all

The game changed, theres 3 books for the chaos forces, and each have powerful combos, so no, you shouldnt be allowed to mix and match from them, regardless of if it was how it use to be

Change with the times people!!!

I was simply pointing out that it's hardly without precedent.

Oh and so you know, my gaming group isnt a bunch of noops, who just play for fun, we are all power gamers, and do the best with what army we collect, and none of them would agree to play a ****** non official 3 army mixed list, and i also doubt, that at any GW store, you would be able to do such a thing, so a total waste of time even attemping such a stupid idea

I say again: sounds like a laugh and a half down at your local "gaming group".

You're right, what a stupid idea: having fun playing a game. Some people, eh?

Zarroc
26-02-2010, 13:44
I was simply pointing out that it's hardly without precedent.

I say again: sounds like a laugh and a half down at your local "gaming group".

You're right, what a stupid idea: having fun playing a game. Some people, eh?

And whats not fun about being a power gamer? ;)

Tymell
26-02-2010, 13:49
And whats not fun about being a power gamer? ;)

Apart from anything else, you yourself just contrasted being a power gamer with "noops [sic] who just play for fun".

Zarroc
26-02-2010, 14:10
Apart from anything else, you yourself just contrasted being a power gamer with "noops [sic] who just play for fun".

Nothing worst then playing a game against these people who "just" play for fun, and dont even try there best, wheres the challenge and fun in that, alot of people enjoy pitting there skills against others

So yes these time wasters are nothing more then noops, if your dont do your best, why even bother playing, may as well not waste others time

Coasters dont get anywhere, its the people who play whole heartedly who go places, this isnt just about this game, but society also ;)

ICLRK625
26-02-2010, 14:45
Nothing worst then playing a game against these people who "just" play for fun, and dont even try there best, wheres the challenge and fun in that, alot of people enjoy pitting there skills against others

So yes these time wasters are nothing more then noops, if your dont do your best, why even bother playing, may as well not waste others time

Coasters dont get anywhere, its the people who play whole heartedly who go places, this isnt just about this game, but society also ;)

I sincerly hope you're trolling, otherwise you have a very, very sad life. It's a game, and a game with major rule and balance flaws for that matter. In no ways is it a valid way to prove what an asset to society you are, if you want to do that, the best way is to actually (gasp!) prove you're an asset to society by taking on a position that compliments your talents.

As for the topic creater's question, if you let me see the list beforehand, I'd love to play against a Hordes of Chaos list that wasn't an auto-win for me (like in 6th edition) or an auto-lose (as in 7th edition Daemons).

Tymell
26-02-2010, 15:12
I sincerly hope you're trolling, otherwise you have a very, very sad life. It's a game, and a game with major rule and balance flaws for that matter. In no ways is it a valid way to prove what an asset to society you are, if you want to do that, the best way is to actually (gasp!) prove you're an asset to society by taking on a position that compliments your talents.

Quite right.

Zarroc, I can't be bothered with a proper response. It's just not worth the effort.

Suffice to say, I'm sure your valued contribution to the competitive sport that is warhammer will be long remembered and honoured.

TheDarkDuke
26-02-2010, 16:45

Wow this is one of the saddest things ive ever read on the internet. Who would have thought you cant play a game for fun, must be agaisnt the law now huh?

P.S. the only time waster here is you bud so go get a life.

decker_cky
26-02-2010, 19:39

/me wonders if Midevil216 realizes that playing with the 6th edition rulebooks is just different house rules to adapting some 7th edition rules.

/me also wonders if a mixed chaos army ran over Zarroc's dog when he was young, making him loath chaos in all it's forms

Midevil216
26-02-2010, 20:43
/me wonders if Midevil216 realizes that playing with the 6th edition rulebooks is just different house rules to adapting some 7th edition rules.

/me also wonders if a mixed chaos army ran over Zarroc's dog when he was young, making him loath chaos in all it's forms

Yes, i do. Thats why I said just use the 6th ed book.

Grey Mage
26-02-2010, 22:14

Note, if you talked with me about this army before asking about playing a game, and we talked it over for a bit, Id probly have no issues giving you a few games with it.

But I would suggest basing it off of Warriors of Chaos for one simple reason- most beastmen can be included as marauder-standins if you later find your playgroups have changed their minds or their members without any real issues.

Daemons are harder to incoprate though there are ways- example being that a bloodcrusher is very similar in size and ability to a khornate chariot, and would probly make an easy stand-in, minotaurs would make good ogres, and heck bloodletters could probly be an easy stand-in for chosen of khorne.

decker_cky
26-02-2010, 22:21
But I would suggest basing it off of Warriors of Chaos for one simple reason- most beastmen can be included as marauder-standins if you later find your playgroups have changed their minds or their members without any real issues.

Or to say it another way....just don't base it off of daemons. Warriors and Beasts provide a base which is far more tame.

Tymell
26-02-2010, 22:25
Or to say it another way....just don't base it off of daemons. Warriors and Beasts provide a base which is far more tame.

Also, to me at least, makes more sense: I could imagine mortal/beastmen armies with summoned daemons more easily than I could imagine a daemon force with mortals/beastmen in it's midst (not saying it wouldn't happen, just that the former seems more likely to me).

So in all, yeah, I'd agree: go with a warriors or beast base and maybe take some daemonic units in it, provided your regular opponents would be fine with it.

decker_cky
26-02-2010, 22:55
Also....with flamers, I'd actually just plain replace them with the entry from storms of chaos if you have it handy. Much more balanced that way (but still a great unit).

Cap'n Facebeard
27-02-2010, 07:08
If people are not happy with it, I can switch it to Demons.

That's a golden idea. "You don't like my fluffy Horde? Then let's see how you like fighting Daemons!" Its like subtle punishment. :evilgrin:

squiggoth
27-02-2010, 16:41
That's a golden idea. "You don't like my fluffy Horde? Then let's see how you like fighting Daemons!" Its like subtle punishment. :evilgrin:

Subtle? :p

ShaggothLord
27-02-2010, 17:36
Subtle? :p

That was an idea that seemed to make more sense to me "count as" wise, but thinking back and looking at other posts I realize doing it with Warriors of Chaos would make it better for the opponent, and more of a challenge for me.:p

rodmillard
27-02-2010, 22:15
*sigh* Zarroc, you remind me why I left my old gaming group (actually, thinking about it, I was one of only three people in that group old enough to vote - could explain a lot...)

These are the house rules we use for my combined Nurgle army:

* Choose a "core" book (I usually use beasts), and a Patron God (I use Nurgle).
* Only undivided units (including all beastmen) and units dedicated to your patron god may be taken. If a character/unit has the option to be marked then it must take the mark of your patron god.
* No special characters. You may only include Lord choices from your core book. You may not take more characters from the other two books combined than you have from your core book. Units from the other two books (including heroes) are limited to the common magic items.
* You may take any number of core units (provided they meet the mark requirements, above), but only units from your core book count towards your minimum core.
* Only units from your core book may be taken in special slots, and you may only take rare units from your core book. Special units from the other two books use a rare slot.

My typical army looks something like this (although I haven't finalised it using the new Beastmen rules):

General: Gorebull
Hero: Wargor Battle Standard Bearer
Hero: L2 mortal sorceror of Nurgle on Daemonic steed
Hero: Herald of Nurgle on Palanquin
Core: 21 Gor
Core: 7 Ungor Raiders
Core: Tuskgor Chariot
Core: 7 Chaos Hounds (actually VC Direwolves)
Core (does not count): 4 Nurgling Bases
Core (does not count): 14 Plaguebearers
Special: 3 Minotaurs
Special: 24 Bestigor (the old Pestigor metal models)
Special: 7 Harpies (Using chaos furies "counts as")
Rare: Chaos Giant
Rare: 6 Nurgle Chaos Knights

If people object to playing a mixed force, then I simply replace the units from the other books with beastmen - typically Bray Shamans, Centigors, and additional ungor raiders and chaos hounds. The 5 units I have borrowed from other books (plus one unit of daemons that count as a beastmen unit) give the army a very clear Nurgle theme without making it over powered in any way.

Kuroi
27-02-2010, 22:54
Instead of houseruleing it or making up his own lists....why not just buy the 6th edition chaos rulebook? <.<

Cap'n Facebeard
27-02-2010, 23:53
General: Gorebull
Hero: Wargor Battle Standard Bearer
Hero: L2 mortal sorceror of Nurgle on Daemonic steed
Hero: Herald of Nurgle on Palanquin
Core: 7 Chaos Hounds (actually VC Direwolves)
Core (does not count): 4 Nurgling Bases
Core (does not count): 14 Plaguebearers
Special: 3 Minotaurs
Special: 24 Bestigor (the old Pestigor metal models)
Special: 7 Harpies (Using chaos furies "counts as")
Rare: Chaos Giant
Rare: 6 Nurgle Chaos Knights

Bold mine.
Whilst I think that army sounds great, those daemons sound worryingly effective. How does the army fare?

Grey Mage
28-02-2010, 05:08
Instead of houseruleing it or making up his own lists....why not just buy the 6th edition chaos rulebook? <.<

Because that would be a houserule... as its not the current book.

If your going to go for it, might as well go all the way and get it done right.

Zarroc
01-03-2010, 10:17
Why do people remain in the past :rolleyes:

Condottiere
01-03-2010, 11:41
Because the past, taking into account the rosy glow of nostalgia, sometimes does seem better than the present, and might actually be.

Sand
01-03-2010, 12:09
Because the past, taking into account the rosy glow of nostalgia, sometimes does seem better than the present, and might actually be.Yup. The whole Daemons as separate army and no cross-list alliances really gutted Chaos for me. It just sucked the atmosphere that I liked out of it. But then I play for fun, so I'll obviously never amount to anything :D
Still, I'd probably go ahead and get the old army book as well. It's still a house rule, sure. But it's (presumably) undergone playtesting and so on already.