PDA

View Full Version : A Line in The Sand: To spend on Orks, or Imperial Guard?

Desalbert
24-02-2010, 19:59
[See page two for final decision-- Thanks for all the votes! It was quite close the entire way!]

Alright. So I own two armies. Orks and IG. A tank here, a battlewagon there, some boyz here, yatta yatta-- Big forces, but nothing focused.

Now, I'm deciding to go spend some money. And I cannot bring myself to choose which army to spend the money on, at this current juncture.

The Orks and I
I love Orks to death-- but I don't love MY orks. Why, you ask? Because I started them when I was 12 (now 21), and I ruined many models, equipped squads poorly and just own a lot of bad models in general (case in point, those awfully tiny Wartrucks and an old 3rd ed. Badmoon warboss with a powerklaw that's casted so small that he's barely passable for a Nob).

Orks are hilarious, great fun, and I love being green-- but spending the money for an upcoming tournament would basically mean I'd be out to do a replacement job; that is... Buy two trukks to replace the trukks I have (and hate), buy storm boys to replace my metal ones... Buy new Bikes to do the same, new killa kans, a new Warboss (etc etc)... At the end of all of this, It'd be lovely, I'm sure. A great army. But, almost a kind of waste (for those that are practical money spenders) since I already owned this army in a much less aesthetically pleasing way.

What I want to do with them Build a mechanical army--speedy, dirty, filled with machines. Dreds, Kans, Truckks, Wagons, Looted bits... The more wheels or walkers, the better! Think of it as a Goff/Speed Freak cross! A Mekboy's dream force. :)

Recent new thoughts: I imagine they'd likely be a force that's hung around a slag pit for some time, out in the midst of some no-where dust-planet/ major junk heap, full of shacks of all kinds; led their by a babbling old Big Mek whose gripped by more by the idea of building a collection of parts than the usual Mek Boy fancy. He'd be quite insane. I should note, though this is bizzare-- I feel a strong "Texas Chainsaw" vibe would be great-- and its hard to explain but...What I'm getting at is these Orks are backwater at their most. Dirty, mucked up, Cunnin' as a devil. Their led by a Mad Mek boy who'll soon as tear the wheelz off of a customer's war Trukk and send him to the pain boyz, than he would fix the thing. The Mek Boy's a mad hoarder of trinkets and scrap, the clan maybe houses a few Weirdboyz too for the backwater cliched 'hillbilly' aesthetic. They'd have Painboyz who gladly have their own hoarding-complex for 'parts' ( the biological kind), as well as a bunch of dirty vehicles for use, and junkyard piles of scrapped ones too. These are Orks who've been around these parts for way too long--I imagine their story as, again, one with the kind of vibe that was depicted in the latest Texas Chainsaw Massacre. They'll be Orks starved for fighting because they have so little straight up combat on such a planet--gone mad for parts, plunder, that they're from the seediest, creepiest Bigmek shop around...and it shows. [More later--]

I.G. and Me!
IG, on the other hand, are fantastic too-- as you can tell I love both armies-- and though I started them years ago too-- they have a lot less questionable models, which means, it'd be more of a case of building ON to the IG rather than replacing. They have some fantastic new models as well, and I'd like to add some of the really intriguing choices; like the Valkyrie, the Punisher, the Psyker Squad, Primaris Psyker, advisors, Banewolf-- Ogryns... a lot of really fun stuff to be had there as well...

What I want to do with them: Grizzled rundown men in in a frozen city scape. On their last legs. Low-model count, mobile. Veteran squads and Penal Legion. City fighters on a snow world with encroaching Chaos. Brimmed hat inquisitor for aesthetics, abhumans (the effects of Chaos seeping in?), veterans and the local penal population only, because the world is too low-priority for reinforcements-- stuff like that. Heavy on the armour..old, battered leman russ... (Haven't thought of a name for this planet yet) [and so on]:angel:

A little about me as a gamer

Funny thing is too, as you'll likely note: I'd like to take both of the armies in a highly mobile way-- so they may end up being a mirror image of one another in terms of focus and tactics to some extent....so maybe I really should just choose one of them, and leave the other behind, even beyond this spending run! But this is another issue...:shifty:

I'm big into fluff also, and both armies really intrigue me with their character and history, and approach:

IG Inspires me, while Orks make me laugh. Orks bring out the barbarian in me and my love for "Krumpin gitz" as those lovable savages. IG lets me be the grim commisar as I overlook my models and consign them to their grizzly deaths in hopeless struggles; while I ponder the big-picture. I'm a bit of a roleplayer at the table top, I've got to say.:D

In short, I love both of my armies, but I need to decide to spend on one, in this current round.

I know I'm not giving you much to go on here, but this my way of doing an informed "coinflip" to choose.

So let me know; on which army should my hard earned student-calibre duckets be spent, in your estimation?

Thanks,
Des:D

world in grey
24-02-2010, 20:50
damn you

I had just talked my self out of an IG armie and started building my orks but now with the images you've just brought to mind of your guard idea I find myself pondering buying some guard damn you!

anyway to your point you sound like you really love your orks and they are in need of a lot of work to bring them up to the standard you want after all these years collecting them so my first choice would be to go that way but then as I said the images you have for your guard are rather appealing.

no my choice is guard go for it add to them first and come back to the beloved orks another time though it will be hard with all the new walkers out next week!

Tenken
24-02-2010, 21:25
I just made the same decision as you, friend. I ended up going with orks for a couple reasons. First, they're hilarious, I love a good larf, and with orks I'm sure these will be in no short supply. Second the megaforce, 200 dollars and I practically have a serviceable army right now. Third, black reach, this with the mega force saves me a ton of money and gives me a useable 1500 point force quick so I don't spend months gathering an army.

If I had the money though I'd definately do both armies. They're both fun, characterful, and have lots of different ways to be played.

Vaktathi
24-02-2010, 21:52
Both are awesome armies, however as a devoted tread head, my own personal bias would go towards Imperial Guard, but you really can't go bad either way.

Tymell
24-02-2010, 22:00
I vote Orks, purely because I love 'em :D Fun and brutal, plus with a gorgeous range of models right now (they're even close to all-plastic, apart from characters there's only meganobz, big gunz, kommandos, tankbustas and deff koptas outstanding) and a solid list. There's no reason not to nowadays!

shadowtemplar16
24-02-2010, 22:01
Go with IG more story and depth to be had there, besides the "hilarity" of orks only goes so far...

Ozendorph
24-02-2010, 22:13
Voted IG just 'cuz it seems like you've put more thought into their story, and I dig Penal legion troops :)

Jagged
24-02-2010, 22:19
I voted Orks. However I think you should just sell a kidney and do both :D

xerxeshavelock
24-02-2010, 22:29
Guard

Sell your orks - the Line in the Sand you mentioned. Do a great job with the Guard. When you feel your Guard are to a nice level then consider another army - maybe Orks, maybe 2 years down the line something else will grab you instead. In the meantime you will have spent 2 years doing something you will have no regrets about, playing one of 40Ks most extreme armies (playing Guard taught me a lot about playing defensively, redundancy and more than I will list here).

Baneboss
24-02-2010, 22:38
Maybe that will inspire you some more (sorry, not yet painted as i finished it yesterday) :)
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9973/dsc00037a.jpg

I have to say im the same as you. I am kind of barbarian myself and i love how the orks do things and resolve conflicts - simple, effective, fun. 'You got problems? Come here so i can chop ya" :)
I also love IG - endless waves of infantry marching over no mans lands with lasguns in their hands and girm looking bastards behind them... simply amazing.

I collect only IG however as i loved SL looks and started making Death Korps out of them before FW decided to make them. I love metal models and i love that im kind of unique with my army. There are many Orkish players around with more or less similar armies, a lot of Cadian armies but just a tad metal ones and mostly owned by people who dont play anymore. I think your own old school ork army seems very unique so go strip the paint from them, remodel, repaint and go old school all the way :)

If i were to choose my armies again i wouldnt make a different choice - its metal IG for me.

starlight
24-02-2010, 22:41
Anything IG can be Looted later on if you change your mind... :shifty:

I have both, and frankly, neither will ever be *finished*...so why decide? Buy what inspires you now, and when something from the other army leaps out at you, get that too... :)

From the sounds of it, you should go IG...in the short term at least... :)

selone
25-02-2010, 01:50
Orks is the answer you seek.

Tenken
25-02-2010, 02:40
Maybe you should check out local saturation for armies. If your FLGS has 18 guard players and 2 guys who play orks sometimes, well maybe you should diversify that group. Conversely if your FLGS has a dozen ork players and some people who take guard allies in apoc, maybe you should go with guard. It's always nice to not be "just another [army]" player at the store.

Godgolden
25-02-2010, 02:48
i have had the exact same problem, unfortunately i have a small ork army and a small imp army... i suck at descision making.

unheilig
25-02-2010, 08:04
its a tough call... the two coolest armies in the game (in my opinion).

i love them both for the same reasons you do.

me, i went with guard. had i been in just a slightly different mood on the day i made my big purchase... i mean, i had just seen saving private ryan. had it been the road warrior, i would have likely gone green.

wazatdingder
25-02-2010, 14:44
While I am not sure how long ago you were 12 (2nd or 3rd edition) I think orks are the way to go. You have also helped in my argument as to why I like metal models. They are far easier to strip and update. I don't think you need new Stormboys (the old ones aren't bad), but your trucks need done.

I think this is an excellent opportunity to make a fun ork force. I suggest you salvage what you can out of the old ones, make piles of bits you can use, and buy a ton of new kits to bash together. Unfortunately, you will have to make sacrifices. Most long term gamers have boxes of models that no longer make the cut (some have more of these than they have models in army.) But I think all of the new ork kits are awesome, and have a ton of extra bitz you can use to patch up older models.

twj
25-02-2010, 20:58
Have you considered Space Marines at all?

Desalbert
25-02-2010, 21:19
Have you considered Space Marines at all?

Yeah I have. Although the eliteness of the force appeals to me, I don't want to be "just another marine" player-- nor do I want to play as the universe's protagonists, GWs favourite flagbearer, or any of their other myriad designations...

Marines aren't for me. Chaos Marines would be far more likely. But I'm not looking to start either. I love these two armies enough.

So thanks for the question, but it's out of the question, I'm afraid.

-Des

{{PS Thanks to everyone for their continued thoughts-- It's a real tight-run thing so far!!}}

Desalbert
25-02-2010, 21:22
damn you

I had just talked my self out of an IG armie and started building my orks but now with the images you've just brought to mind of your guard idea I find myself pondering buying some guard damn you!

anyway to your point you sound like you really love your orks and they are in need of a lot of work to bring them up to the standard you want after all these years collecting them so my first choice would be to go that way but then as I said the images you have for your guard are rather appealing.

no my choice is guard go for it add to them first and come back to the beloved orks another time though it will be hard with all the new walkers out next week!

I know how you feel though! That's why I'm posting my own problem:( I am quite sorry I infected you with my passion for both, and brought that indecision upon you, good sir.

Let me know if you end up getting a Guard army, after all.

While I am not sure how long ago you were 12 (2nd or 3rd edition) I think orks are the way to go. You have also helped in my argument as to why I like metal models. They are far easier to strip and update. I don't think you need new Stormboys (the old ones aren't bad), but your trucks need done.

I think this is an excellent opportunity to make a fun ork force. I suggest you salvage what you can out of the old ones, make piles of bits you can use, and buy a ton of new kits to bash together. Unfortunately, you will have to make sacrifices. Most long term gamers have boxes of models that no longer make the cut (some have more of these than they have models in army.) But I think all of the new ork kits are awesome, and have a ton of extra bitz you can use to patch up older models.

Also, Wazatdinger you make a great point about the opportunity for conversion. My only reservation is that I'm a really poor hand at conversions, so short of making some "Mek Junkyard" area-terrain filled with scraps and a half melted trukk, (which I think would be super cool!) it'll be really tough for someone like me to pull off a really pleasing force driven by bitz-mashing, sadly.

Great thought though!

Keep them coming good lads and ladies!

Tymell
25-02-2010, 21:33
{{PS Thanks to everyone for their continued thoughts-- It's a real tight-run thing so far!!}}

Yeah, it seems to have been level-pegging since the start. Which probably isn't very helpful for making your decision!:p

Desalbert
25-02-2010, 21:39
Yeah, it seems to have been level-pegging since the start. Which probably isn't very helpful for making your decision!:p

Oh Indeed not! Indeed not! But I don't mind; I find the written opinions to be of most interest anyway. For all I know, those who vote might just vote at random, or seek to create a balance, if they haven't read my (admittedly rather winded :o) initial post...

As a brief update, I was able to snag a brimmed hat Inquisitor to add to my IG as well as 3 Blackreach Deff Koptas for the Orks. These however, were just mighty cheap, and were bought as the opportunity presented itself!

Alas, I still need to solve which way my concerted effort shall go in realms of spending, building, painting and even writing (in terms of Fluff).

Kadaan
25-02-2010, 22:01
My vote is for Guard! Awesome tanks, you picked a nice theme, loads of FW goodness, what's not to love?

Desalbert
25-02-2010, 22:16
Just as an update, for those that are interested, I've added some more thoughts to my Ork background in the first post, which was initially much less developed than guard. Take a look. I'd love some good honest thoughts and suggestions on the idea. :D It won't be heavy conversions or anything, but just, in terms of narrative-fluff feasibility.

Thanks for all the thoughts and votes so far!

Hali
26-02-2010, 03:34
Why not go with both in the same army? I love seeing Blood Axe overlords fighting with Deathworld underlings, model the orcs a little more imperialist and use catachan's with lots of ork upgrade bits. If you really plan it out well you can use the same models to play with either codex. Using the ork codex you can use all your ork models as nobs and the catachans as boyz/grots, leman russes as battlewagons, valkyries as fightabombaz, chimeras as 'ardtopped trukks. Using the guard codex then all your orcs are officers/veterans and humies the grunts, kans/meganobz as sentinels, lootas/tankbustas as weapon teams, nobz as ogryn, bikers as rough riders. It offers a whole lot of awesome conversion oppertunity and there is plenty of fluff behind it. The imperials pay off Blood Axe warbands with all kinds of equipment, when supplies are low they start handing off conscripts instead although only the toughest of the tough make it through orky boot camp. Catachan's look like they should have shoota boy stats anyway so I'm sure if you pull it off half decently everyone will accept the model swap without a problem.

starlight
26-02-2010, 03:42
Darnitall, that sounds interesting enough I just might try it out... It would give me something to do with all those Catachans I have lying around... :angel:

So...how far *northern* are you...?

AngryAngel
26-02-2010, 03:54
I say go with the guard. Perhaps its just me, but I love the feeling of when I play my guard. It just has so many diffrent feelings that go along with it. Hopeless desperation, bravery, perhaps even in some circumstances cowardice, they are only human afterall. You have many tanks to choose from. Lots of diffrent unit setups, etc.

Your story as well sounds very nice. So I'd go with them. They are also I can say one of the only armies I get excited each and every time I add a model to them.

Importman
26-02-2010, 05:19
I have all those old Orky models that you mentioned but do not despair I have some simple soloutions as to how to make your 90's Ork 2010 and beyond!

1. get bits from ebay - all you need for your bikers to make them new and snazzie are just "biker legs". Yes thats it - new biker legs fit perfectly well on old bikes and then get some biker arms or for an even cheaper alternative get the new ork battleforce - you see you will get your new trukk - also 3 pairs of biker arms - which you only need 3 for the 3 bikes (model them with weapons) and you are left with 3 spare for your old bikes. Being an ork player you should have plenty of spare bodies and weapon arms for your old bikes. Some minor mods on your old mikes and they are ready to roll!
2. acquire and better yet split the AOBR box set with your mates - you get plenty of bodies and will not have to buy another slugger boy for ages. failing that ebay for AOBR boyz - I recently got 20 for about US$14 postage included!
3. all your old characters - chop them up for bits - I have exactly the same bad moon boos you mentioned (I think it was an old kaptin Baddruk model with power claw) and I used his power klaw for my new biker boss. Also his body I added more bitz to it and made him into a sexy new flash git!

As for your old trukks I really don't have any solution for them besides keeping them for bitz. I agree with you they are just that terrible! On the bright side the new trukks are just oh so much fun to build and paint.

As for you old guard stuff - more bitz for your new Waaagh! Looted wagons galore. Also Ogryns can be easily converted to warboss or nobz.

So for your shopping list I recommend-
1. ebay biker legs (really cheap as nobody bidded on these - maybe they will now...)
2. AOBR orks - you have boyz, warboss (he is huge!) and kopterz (fits your theme)
3. box of new nobz for conversions
4. ork battleforce(s) (number depending on size of Waagh!)

Stormboyz optional but the new models are VERY good - probably the best plastics (besides the nobz) in the new ork range thus far (we will have to wait and see what the new kanz and dredd are like...)

Thats basically it. Add a new Mekboy or two to the mix and your new army will be ready for its next Waaagh!!

Nexus Trimean
26-02-2010, 06:16
Im a guard player, I love them, but from your post, I think you need to embrace your inner green. Guard is very flexable and fun, but from your post it sounds like your a little more into the orks.

Daxam
26-02-2010, 06:36
I personally would go with Guard. The background you have made (for both armies by the way) is solid, but I do love the idea of the guard being the underdogs, down to the last stragglers co-opted into new squads and locals being given weapons. (Yes, I just read Death And Glory, could you tell?)

But it is your choice in the end.

laudarkul
26-02-2010, 06:43
Playing 40k it's about fun also. Despite the fact that I'm an IG player go for the mech Orks as a new army; but since you are also a Guard player I think that you'll find some spare money/time for your IG force.

Dwalin
26-02-2010, 12:06
Imperial guard, don't play them but think they have tons of character and your fluff just adds to that. Maybe put the orks on the backburner for the while and focus on the Guard.

Anyway good luck with the decision and if you still can't make a choice, settle it like a real gamer- with dice.

Firmlog
26-02-2010, 12:10
I've played just about every army at one time or another. I did this for one of 3 reasons I thought they'ed be fun to play, look great painted or loved the story of the army.

Recently i started collecting orks cause they look really good now, I want that barbarish feel they have. I've played guard, with armor, infantry only, and i was never really excited about playing them, though they looked great on the field fully painted, I didn't have as much fun.

Don't get me wrong, guard weren't uninteresting, but then I played them back when they had doctrines, so I could change the feel of the army very easy. They also won a lot, but not as much as many other armies I played.

personally my best records are: Sisters of Battle (3rd), Deathwing, Ravenwing, DW/RW mix, in that order. Power armor seems to be my Excalibur.

I'd go with what you are the most excited about, what thrills you the most though, and with the new codex, that may be the guard. If I every play guard again though, it would have to be Elysians or Death Korp Krieg, with the actual forgeworld models, (one of my guard armies was steel legion ast DKK.) However I like the idea of airborne and mobility more so it'd be most likely Elysians.

Now, with the release of the new Kans and dreads, the remake of the bikes and trucks it has to be orks Plus the SHOCK ATTACK GUNS. they may suck but I think they are sooooo cool. And I will eventually get the forgeworld Warboss on bike as my Wazdakka.

bratbag
26-02-2010, 12:54
In the distant future of the 41st millennium, the galaxy is in turmoil.

The forces of man are beset on all sides, holding crumbling defenses as they wait for reinforcements that will never come. The super-human marines, the angels of death that protect humanity, become ever more distant with each passing year, both their numbers and their connection to the humans they protect fading with every passing battle.

The Eldar, ancient wise and arrogant, stagger from one disaster to the next, with even their best unable to escape the inevitable doom of their race. They are on the brink, tipping over the wrong way.

The Tyranids, voracious carnivores from beyond the galaxies edge, stagger and stall in their invasion as the scorched earth policies of their prey force them to fight battle after battle without receiving the biomass they need to replenish themselves.

Chaos, malignant and eternal, finds itself stymied at every turn as ancient enemies unite to fight them back, folding chaos back in upon itself as barely contained rivalries re-erupt.

Necrons, the un-living servants of the star-eaters, find themselves overwhelmed by the sheer amount of filthy living that infest their ancient domain. For every biological they cull a thousand more are bred to take their place.

The Tau, optimistic and young, stare on in dumb terror as the true realities of the Galaxy they inhabit are revealed unto them. The insurmountable odds they face can only be beaten so many times.

Conflict is everywhere. On all sides war is the only remaining constant.

In such times only one race can prosper. Only one grows stronger the more it fights, only one can thrive within a galaxy of destruction and eternal violence. Only one race is tough enough, insane enough and green enough to win through.

orks orks orks orks Orks Orks ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Guess what i voted for :D

Tymell
26-02-2010, 13:33
I've played just about every army at one time or another. I did this for one of 3 reasons I thought they'ed be fun to play, look great painted or loved the story of the army.

You, sir, are a player after my own heart :D

Project2501
26-02-2010, 15:49
Orks for the modelling possibilities. You can also already convert some of your IG vehicles to be used by them.

IG if you want to win more than model.

I am actually getting tired of playing guard because it's really just shoot and sacrificial tarpit with the exception of the one trick wonder, Straken. They might as well be Tau. I'm tired of being ever aware of assault, and having to plan for how best to lose to it.

Nezalhualixtlan
26-02-2010, 16:43
I voted IG simply because I personally like IG better. But your idea for the Orks sounds way cooler in terms of fluff.

Desalbert
27-02-2010, 17:40

The forces of man are beset on all sides, holding crumbling defenses as they wait for reinforcements that will never come. The super-human marines, the angels of death that protect humanity, become ever more distant with each passing year, both their numbers and their connection to the humans they protect fading with every passing battle.

The Eldar, ancient wise and arrogant, stagger from one disaster to the next, with even their best unable to escape the inevitable doom of their race. They are on the brink, tipping over the wrong way.

The Tyranids, voracious carnivores from beyond the galaxies edge, stagger and stall in their invasion as the scorched earth policies of their prey force them to fight battle after battle without receiving the biomass they need to replenish themselves.

Chaos, malignant and eternal, finds itself stymied at every turn as ancient enemies unite to fight them back, folding chaos back in upon itself as barely contained rivalries re-erupt.

Necrons, the un-living servants of the star-eaters, find themselves overwhelmed by the sheer amount of filthy living that infest their ancient domain. For every biological they cull a thousand more are bred to take their place.

The Tau, optimistic and young, stare on in dumb terror as the true realities of the Galaxy they inhabit are revealed unto them. The insurmountable odds they face can only be beaten so many times.

In such times only one race can prosper. Only one grows stronger the more it fights, only one can thrive within a galaxy of destruction and eternal violence. Only one race is tough enough, insane enough and green enough to win through.

OrksOrksOrksOrks, OrksOrksOrksOrks!

(Loved your enthusiasm!)

Great replies to everyone so far; a real kaleidoscope of opinions! It's been interesting to see how one person believes that "by the sounds of my post" I like guard more, while others say the same for Orks!

I'd like to see a few more votes; but at this point, I'm leaning Orks, because my current (small) gaming group gives the Orks no respect; so it would be quite satisfying to win in an upset.

But as always, I change my mind at every turn!

Any last thoughts out there before I let this die and make my choice?

magicmonkey
28-02-2010, 21:34

waaaagh!
gretchin waaaagh to support your orkinessness

Desalbert
28-02-2010, 23:10
Just as a closure to this thread-- I've decided to go with Orks as my major focus since they've inspired me more of late [and because its just Proppa! ;)] I proceeded to purchase two new Trukks to replace my old ones, and a Big Mek with Shokk attack gun, as well as a deff rolla for my wagon, and a weirdboy!

So let the Retrofittin' begin! :] and the creation of junkyard scenery too (I think I plan to eventually use my old trucks, and even my old bikes (once they're replaced) as junk-yeard area terrain, in fact, if I can bring myself to decomssioning them.)

Thanks for all your replies and votes :D

'Ere we go, Orks! Orks! Ere we go!
'Ere we go, Orks! Orks! Ere we go!

[Of course, the guard will get their loving too! In good time!]

Be well, fair warseerites!