PDA

View Full Version : Green stuff..uhhh

velkore1134
25-02-2010, 07:34
Green stuff noob here, probably doesn't belong here but I can't find a suitable post in spt search or anything

how long does green stuff take to dry

also google failed me

thanks again...

Moriarty
25-02-2010, 08:15
Your Google-Fu is weak, Grasshopper.

Try 'green stuff, drying time'.

Or go with 3-4 hours for painting, 24 hours for sanding.

Giganthrax
25-02-2010, 10:55
I usually leave it for 8 hours or so, just to be sure.

marv335
25-02-2010, 10:59
It's an epoxy, so the curing time (not drying) is temperature dependent.
leave it somewhere warm, and it'll cure faster. The reverse is also true.
I have a desk lamp and a silver foil backed tube of cardboard that I use to speed up curing when I'm sculpting.
Be careful when using this method with plastic models though.

LonelyPath
25-02-2010, 12:15
Just to be safe, I always leave green stuff for about 24 hours before doing anything else to it, but if you're certain it won't get messed up, it's safe to use the model in a game after 5 or 6 hours. However, I tend to do alot of my modelling in cooler parts of the house.

bossfearless
25-02-2010, 13:05
Honestly, I find that GS is cured enough to paint over within an hour or so. If all you're doing is smoothing something out or filling a gap then that's all you need before painting. If you're seriously sculpting something then you don't wana touch it for several hours or even a full day.

incarna
25-02-2010, 15:28
There are several factors that impact the curing time of green stuff. Temperature and ratio of yellow stuff to blue stuff are important factors.

I consider myself a “green stuff veteran” and I always allow my green stuff to set up for about 24 hours. That’s probably about twice the time I actually need in most cases but there’s nothing worse than working with one part of your model only to realize that you’ve been holding the model in such a way that one of your carefully sculpted and highly detailed green-stuff modifications has been mashed by your finger.

Be safe. Wait 24 hours.

AbusePuppy
25-02-2010, 16:34
Most varieties of greenstuff can actually be painted while wet, if for whatever reason you want to.

They are generally workable for 1-2 hours, depending a lot on outside factors.

Within eight hours, greenstuff is usually cured sufficiently that it won't instantly take finger imprints and can be handled carefully and still be tweaked slightly.

By twenty-four hours, it should be completely cured. However, as incarna points out, the ratio of yellow to blue is a major factor, and temperature, humidity, and exposure to light can also alter the time somewhat.

CrownAxe
25-02-2010, 18:42
Honestly, I find that GS is cured enough to paint over within an hour or so. If all you're doing is smoothing something out or filling a gap then that's all you need before painting. If you're seriously sculpting something then you don't wana touch it for several hours or even a full day.
Don't you prime it first?