PDA

View Full Version : why is everyone calling razorboars pumbas?

skullkandy
25-02-2010, 15:54
Ok, I have never played warhammer fantasy. I just bout two boxes of the old beast herds a couple months ago because I really wanted to paint them. I dislike the new sculpts but that's besides the point.

all I want to know is why everyone calls the new razorboars pumbas and pumba-chariots. what is a pumba, what does it have to do with razorboars, what am i missing here.

Ultimate Life Form
25-02-2010, 15:55
That's why.

Pacorko
25-02-2010, 15:57
--snip-- what am i missing here.

Prolly just your Disneyana childhood, that's all. :D

Stegadeth
25-02-2010, 15:59
Pumba is a Disney Character from the animated movie: The Lion King aka Bambi in Africa. It's a joke. PS, I believe they are called Razorgors, not Razorboars.

willowdark
25-02-2010, 16:00
He's missing the Lion King. That makes me sad.

skullkandy
25-02-2010, 16:01
Ah, thank you guys. I wasn't allowed to watch movies as a child because my mother said that it lets the devil into your head.

fat lot a good it did....

Jack of Blades
25-02-2010, 16:01
what is a pumba

You're trying to tell me you don't know what a pumba is? good try :rolleyes:
... wait, you really don't know?

Annoying responses aside, pumbagors because well, that's what we heard in the rumor section. ''based off of Pumba'' or something, so along with their rather... ugly, mutated (I like them though, they're supposed to be just that) models, they were called pumbagors because they're funny, ugly and they're boars, just like Pumba (though he doesn't deserve being called their kind of ''ugly'', really).

Pumbagor is both to ridicule and honor them.

Condottiere
25-02-2010, 16:22
It's a natural tendency to invent nicknames, whether derogatory, as shortform or as an endearment.

Since he's not been named a warthog, this must be a term of affection.

skullkandy
25-02-2010, 16:22
yeah, i'm dead serious that I had no clue what that was. I know it's pretty pathetic but like I said growing up I lived in a household where "god didn't create animals to talk because they don't have souls and it's an affront to god to protray sentient animals." Yes my mother was completely insane. By the time I moved out, got my own place and could do whatever I pleased I just never watched all the kids movies that came out when I was growing up.

I personally like the model though.

Midloo
25-02-2010, 16:48
I personally like the model though.

Well if you watch the movie, you might not like him as much.

Better to stick with enjoying the Razorgor model IMHO ;)

Tough break with mom... Does that make the holidays fun?

Shadowsinner
25-02-2010, 17:08
well go watch the Lion KIng! Its the disney version of Hamlet.

Sadly I've realized that I can't help but call the Razorgors, Pumbagors. After having heard everyone call it that jokingly, it's been burned into my mind to where I give them that title without even think about it. I am convinced that they are really called pumbagors

BigbyWolf
25-02-2010, 17:10
Although, ironically, after all the fuss, it doesn't actually look anything like Pumba, or the modded cartoon (props on the drawing though, very nice).

The Red Scourge
25-02-2010, 17:37
"god didn't create animals to talk because they don't have souls and it's an affront to god to protray sentient animals."

Thank god for talking animals. If it hadn't been for those we'd all been strolling naked around some garden eating fruit and hoping for someone to invent Warhammer ;)

Souppilgrim
25-02-2010, 17:37
Ah, thank you guys. I wasn't allowed to watch movies as a child because my mother said that it lets the devil into your head.

:eek::wtf:

Pacorko
25-02-2010, 18:57
Thank god for talking animals. If it hadn't been for those we'd all been strolling naked around some garden eating fruit and hoping for someone to invent Warhammer ;)

This one takes the prize today! :D

Now, I really spilled my chai beacuse of the laughter this one brought me... now, it's change-shirt time. :eyebrows:

Lord Malorne
25-02-2010, 19:11
Ok, I have never played warhammer fantasy. I just bout two boxes of the old beast herds a couple months ago because I really wanted to paint them. I dislike the new sculpts but that's besides the point.

all I want to know is why everyone calls the new razorboars pumbas and pumba-chariots. what is a pumba, what does it have to do with razorboars, what am i missing here.

Razorgor not boar, it is from the character Pumba from the disney film The Lion King, a rather flatulent character that happened to be a warthog.

skullkandy
25-02-2010, 19:28

That is the best thing i've read in a forum in a long time.

N810
25-02-2010, 19:41
That's why.

Heres an unaltered comparison... :p

badgeraddict
25-02-2010, 20:22
well go watch the Lion King! Its the disney version of Hamlet.

Brilliant! I reckon Hamlet would have been even better with an Elton John soundtrack.

:p

Desert Rain
25-02-2010, 20:24
There is a striking similarity between them...

@Skullkandy: You should really get some of the old Disney classics and watch them. They are surprisingly good even if you're an adult.

Thank god for talking animals. If it hadn't been for those we'd all been strolling naked around some garden eating fruit and hoping for someone to invent Warhammer
Sigged!

Ward.
25-02-2010, 20:25
what am i missing here.

For a more accurate mental image, picture pumba meets T-virus.

Also, unlucky on the crazy parents.

Odin
25-02-2010, 22:57
I had no idea what a Pumba was either. I think I was already at uni when the Lion King came out, and I detest Disney anyway.

skullkandy
25-02-2010, 23:02
There is a striking similarity between them...

@Skullkandy: You should really get some of the old Disney classics and watch them. They are surprisingly good even if you're an adult.

Sigged!

I think i'm going to have to do that. I remember one time as a child I got caught havnig snuck a 13 inch tv into my closet to watch captian planet. I was grounded for 3 months because captian planet has super powers and only jesus has super powers. lol

Oh, and for any parent's wondering (as if they would be on this forum:p) it does not help to try and do this to your child. I turned out the complete opposite of what my parent's hoped for. I became a piercer working in a tattoo shop and playing in an industrial band while living with two girls and playing with toy soldiers that look like demons.

point, if you wish to have good little pure children, do the exact opposite.

For a more accurate mental image, picture pumba meets T-virus.

Also, unlucky on the crazy parents.

I actually thought boar with t-virus the first time i saw the mini as well.

shredshredxx
26-02-2010, 00:27
yeah, definitely sucks about the mom situation /:

i bet she would go nuts if she knew you were playing a wargame with demons, possessions, beastmen, and religious fanatics :p

congrats on your freedom though!

Commissar von Toussaint
26-02-2010, 00:59
I had no idea what a Pumba was either. I think I was already at uni when the Lion King came out, and I detest Disney anyway.

I was in college at the time and it was quite popular. Good date flick, honestly.

I saw it at an on-campus showing. The scene where Simba and Nala reunite as adults - and she gives him the look - brought the house down. :D

My family owns all three of these movies and actually wore out the dvd player watching them.

Honestly, it fits. Most of GW's models are pretty cartoony these days.

silashand
26-02-2010, 02:20

Nice. Best comment on a forum I've seen in a long while :D

Cheers, Gary

squiggoth
26-02-2010, 02:53

Well the Lion King is hardly "default" Disney - the main storyline is based on Hamlet (so it has a bit of a plot rather than 90 minutes of singing bunnies) whilst the characters are nicked straight from an 1960's Japanese anime series by Osamu Tazuka about a orphaned lion cub called Kimba - altough Disney claims that the dozens of practically identical aspects of both cartoons' characters and storylines are purely coincidental. :p

Anyway, The Lion King is so un-Disneyesque that it is actually a pretty awesome movie - one of my favourite movies and I normally don't like Disney flicks. And it even has a Razorgor as a main character. ;)

Steam_Giant
26-02-2010, 15:51
I remember one time as a child I got caught havnig snuck a 13 inch tv into my closet to watch captian planet. I was grounded for 3 months

Something about this mental image is more powerful than a thousand child abuse adverts !!

"Captain Planet" LOL *shakes head*

MercuryLamp
26-02-2010, 16:04
It means no worries, for the rest of your days~♫

DarkMark
26-02-2010, 16:20

This has got to be a wind up:wtf:

Steam_Giant
26-02-2010, 18:08

Im guessing the OP comes from North America's Bible Belt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt).

They believe D&D was made by the Devil !!:D

hill9969
26-02-2010, 18:30
Im guessing the OP comes from North America's Bible Belt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt).

The devil did create D&D but not for the moral corruption of youth. He wanted easier access to cheetos and mountain dew.

Plague.Monk
26-02-2010, 18:32
The devil did create D&D but not for the moral corruption of youth. He wanted easier access to cheetos and mountain dew.

can I have a mountain dew?

N810
26-02-2010, 18:41
"The devil did create D&D but not for the moral corruption of youth"

I'm prety sure the 1st edition cover art didn't help much...

Condottiere
26-02-2010, 18:53
Comparing the two art styles, the current one and the ones from thirty years ago, I think it reflects the evolution of the settings. They are now more complex than the rather simplistic good and evil ones from the genesis of that RPG.

The Red Scourge
26-02-2010, 18:55
I think i'm going to have to do that. I remember one time as a child I got caught havnig snuck a 13 inch tv into my closet to watch captian planet. I was grounded for 3 months because captian planet has super powers and only jesus has super powers. lol

Oh, and for any parent's wondering (as if they would be on this forum:p) it does not help to try and do this to your child. I turned out the complete opposite of what my parent's hoped for. I became a piercer working in a tattoo shop and playing in an industrial band while living with two girls and playing with toy soldiers that look like demons.

You poor thing, I can't imagine the hard time, your progeny will end up giving you ;)

The Red Scourge
26-02-2010, 19:01
This one takes the prize today! :D

Now, I really spilled my chai beacuse of the laughter this one brought me... now, it's change-shirt time. :eyebrows:

Nice. Best comment on a forum I've seen in a long while :D

Cheers, Gary

That is the best thing i've read in a forum in a long time.

Thanks guys. Stay tuned to your favorite warseer channel for more of that Red Scourge action. Though the real praise should go to skullkandy for making this cheap stab at religious fanaticism possible ;)

Grey Mage
26-02-2010, 19:10
No, sadly I dont think it is- I went to school with a number of kids like that here in the good-ol-US of A. Ever heard of Jehova witnesses? The standard tenant amongst their faith is no birthdays, no holidays, just easter- because it the "only thing worth celebrating". There were parents who were incredibly controlling... many of their children ended up going the way skullkandy did, some became shutins, and a couple stayed with the faiths they were raised in- but only a couple. Note, that not all of these were christian religious practices by any means- a couple local jewish families had this problem, as did the local hippy commune.

Ive always said- if you cant trust them to look outside the faith and into the world and come back, then you didnt show them any faith at all.

Sounds like your having a good time now atleast, and Im glad to hear it.

Condottiere
26-02-2010, 19:30
Just a reminder, if you dwell too much on specific religious practices, this thread will disappear into the Wastes.

R-Love
26-02-2010, 22:12
I really want to meet your mother. $50 says I could give her a heart attack in less than 10 minutes :D

And shame on you for not knowing the lion king. If I were to rebel against my parents, that would be the first thing I'd do (Yes, I'm messed up)

Um, what? Eden was supposed to be paradise. Warhammer would already exist, and be perfectly balanced (only God could do this ;))

Also credit where credit is due and all that, I would like to sincerely thank Hastings (again) for the wonderful picture of the Pumbagor. Fear his mad Paint skills!

skullkandy
01-03-2010, 16:11

you win the prize....Kansas to be exact.

funny story about D&D. My uncle played and I got a book from him. When my mother found it I was forced to sit and listen to a tape she got at the local propoganda store. I wish I could find this tape now because it would be hillarious to listen to again.

The tape was one of those narrated stories, but it was a group of kids who got pulled into the evil world of D&D. They started withdrawing from friends and family. There was one line in there where they were swinging swords at each other and one kid screams "i can actually see it." he started hallucinating and thought he was really in the game because evil spirits took over his body. Then he killed one of his friends because that's what his character would do. One of the kids then hung himself because his level 17 cleric died failing a save roll to avoid a trap and he didn't want to live anymore because "it was all my fault that Shonen died!!!!"
The remaining kids went insane and had to be put in a mental instatution. Only one kid survived by burning all his D&D books, when he burned them "he could hear the screams of the deamons being chased from the earth by god's holy wrath." Yeah, this really exists and people really do believe that's what D&D is.

....oh and most funny part about the whole D&D suicide club tape, not once were dice used. Apparently they had never once seen a D&D game or book because they thought the entire thing was people just running around pretending to be their characters in the woods.

N810
01-03-2010, 16:19

funny story about D&D. My uncle played and I got a book from him. When my mother found it I was forced to sit and listen to a tape she got at the local propoganda store. I wish I could find this tape now because it would be hillarious to listen to again.

The tape was one of those narrated stories, but it was a group of kids who got pulled into the evil world of D&D. They started withdrawing from friends and family. There was one line in there where they were swinging swords at each other and one kid screams "i can actually see it." he started hallucinating and thought he was really in the game because evil spirits took over his body. Then he killed one of his friends because that's what his character would do. One of the kids then hung himself because his level 17 cleric died failing a save roll to avoid a trap and he didn't want to live anymore because "it was all my fault that Shonen died!!!!"
The remaining kids went insane and had to be put in a mental instatution. Only one kid survived by burning all his D&D books, when he burned them "he could hear the screams of the deamons being chased from the earth by god's holy wrath." Yeah, this really exists and people really do believe that's what D&D is.

....oh and most funny part about the whole D&D suicide club tape, not once were dice used. Apparently they had never once seen a D&D game or book because they thought the entire thing was people just running around pretending to be their characters in the woods.

I think the tape might have been from Chick.
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Odin
01-03-2010, 16:20

I've heard that recording somewhere! Might have been a TV programme. It was properly mental.

Must be on the internet somewhere.

skullkandy
02-03-2010, 16:03

Nice find!

That must be who made it because that trac is the same one that came with the tape.

thanks for finding that because no one ever believes me that it's real.

The Red Scourge
02-03-2010, 18:32

This must be a joke, as its that funny :D

- funny I even got an urge to play D&D, too bad its such a poor game :p

Condottiere
02-03-2010, 18:50
You do know that RPGs can be stripped of their mechanics, and just be used as settings.

The Red Scourge
02-03-2010, 18:56
Yeah, but the world have tons of better settings and better mechanics :)

Kensai
02-03-2010, 20:03

Quoted for truth. I just LOL'd at my desk, and now everyone is looking at me

Slayerthane
02-03-2010, 20:20

Man, I feel your pain. Thankfully I didn't grow up in the bible belt, I just live there now.

Col. Tartleton
02-03-2010, 22:41
This sounds more like 40k then Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

Your parents sound like they'd do very well in that universe.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

snurl
03-03-2010, 08:54
I've heard that recording somewhere! Might have been a TV programme. It was properly mental.

Must be on the internet somewhere.

It was a TV movie from 1979 starring Tom Hanks. It was called Monsters and Mazes.

It was insulting to anyone who ever actually played D&D

Except maybe version 3.5

Jedi152
03-03-2010, 08:58

Sounds like the Jack Chick tract Dark Dungeons (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp).

Beaten by N810!

I really want to see Monsters and Mazes. :p

taffeh
03-03-2010, 10:22
When I was a young Warthog!!

Great... now I gotta have this singing in my head for the rest of the waking day...

Astonished to see the post though... And yes, there is no denying it... We are know since Timon and Pumba split - although Pumba started working for GW, Timon has gone into TV advertising with the Compare the Meercat advert on UK TV....

Simples!

Milgram
03-03-2010, 10:39
I wasn't allowed to watch movies as a child because my mother said that it lets the devil into your head.

wish my mother had done the same thing. to learn that bambi was a male deer really messed up my sexlife.

The boyz
03-03-2010, 11:00

Crickey that website made me laugh. Pretty crazy indeed.

AFnord
03-03-2010, 11:08
whilst the characters are nicked straight from an 1960's Japanese anime series by Osamu Tazuka about a orphaned lion cub called Kimba
We also have the French cartoon "the lion king", that was released before the movie, containing a lion cub named Simba. Although it was rather odd, as it also contained Bambi and a lot of European animals...

Condottiere
03-03-2010, 13:07
Sounds like the Jack Chick tract Dark Dungeons (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp).

Beaten by N810!

I really want to see Monsters and Mazes. :pI think I may have; IIRC the game portrayed is unrecognizable from the actual one. The one where Christina Applegate dates a D&D player in Jessie is probably closer to reality.

Gromdal
03-03-2010, 13:40
This sounds more like 40k then Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

Your parents sound like they'd do very well in that universe.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Faith is eternal.

Faith is my shield.

In his glorious name.

All of these are christian ideals and quotes from history. That warhammer 40k has borrowed. Infact ALOT of things in warhammer is taken from christian culture. Demons, crosses, martyrdom are just a small percentage. Why is this so? Because christian culture built most of the entertainment we have today. How many board games with small minis come from muslim countries, hindu, or buddhist?
This also include disney films...

God has given man imagination, when it is used for good, it is good. When it is used for evil its bad.

Lijacote
03-03-2010, 13:47
God has given man imagination, when it is used for good, it is good. When it is used for evil its bad.

You're trampling on my non-faith there, or can I say that God didn't do that?

Ultimate Life Form
03-03-2010, 14:23

You're trampling on my non-faith there, or can I say that God didn't do that?

Obviously, you are an example of the latter case then. It is all a matter of view. :D

And thus, we're finally off to the dusty dungeons of P&R.

Jedi152
03-03-2010, 14:27
Yes, i think this thread has served it's purpose. I'm going to close it before it gets moved to P&R.

Jedi152.

The WarSeer Inquisition.