PDA

View Full Version : Ulthwe fluff,how many jetbikes is too many?

MrBo114
26-02-2010, 02:40
I currently own 14 guardian jetbikes 1 modeled autarch,1 farseer and a couple of warlocks all modeled in ulthwe colors. Is it overkill? i mean they are guardians, they just like riding in style :p.The reason i ask is some ppl in army lists seemed to take army fluff way too serious.What do yall think?

DCLXVI
26-02-2010, 03:48
Like you, my Eldar are painted in Ulthwe colours - not for a fluffy reason, just that I like the combination of colours!
At the weekend I started to put together 12 Guardian jetbikes (4 with cannons) and I just have to buy 6 more then I've got a 10 man council, with Autarch, Farseer and 8 Warlocks. So I say to you - go for it! It's your army and you can have as many bikes as you like! :D

MajorWesJanson
26-02-2010, 04:36
If you run out of room in your deployment zone after setting down your Jetbikes, that is too many.

Commissar Bone
26-02-2010, 04:57
<q>If you run out of room in your deployment zone after setting down your Jetbikes, that is too many.</q>

No way, man, stack 'em on top of each other. Remember: they're hovering. :evilgrin:

SatireSphere
26-02-2010, 05:32
And even then, you can always have some in reserve.

carlisimo
26-02-2010, 05:36
What's wrong with the fluff? Are they trying to argue that a large craftworld that likes Guardians more than Aspect Warriors wouldn't have fourteen jetbikes and fourteen Guardians to ride them?

GrimZAG
26-02-2010, 05:53
Fluff is not very important. No matter what anyone else says. All it does is provides a setting for your army which adds to the "coolness" factor of warhammer.

Bascially, do whatever you wnat. JETBIKES ARE AWESOME!

Freakiq
26-02-2010, 05:58
Ulthwe are known for having lots of guardians, doesn't matter if they are on jetbikes.

hawo0313
26-02-2010, 06:03
its closer to the fluff than guys who take the aspect warriors AND eldrad cant help it if your army just happens to be strong and has good background go for what you want.

The Orange
26-02-2010, 06:05
Codex Rules override fluff. You can have as many as the book allows. Fluff-nazi's be damned, no one said Saim-Hann had the only blue print to those jet-bikes.

Thud
26-02-2010, 12:44
Just don't paint your models, then no one will complain. Ironic, isn't it? ;)

Seriously, though, not every Ulthwé army is representative of Ulthwé as a whole. Just like how the SAS is not representative of the British military as a whole, they still exist.

nightgant98c
26-02-2010, 16:40
The onlything I ever read was that Ulthwe seer councils didn't ride jetbikes, because they were too old. But that seems a bit silly. I know some pretty old people who ride motorcycles. Same basic idea.

marv335
26-02-2010, 17:00
it's not that they can't physically ride them, it's just beneath their dignity to do so.

AndrewGPaul
26-02-2010, 19:21
Craftworlds are big places. Even Ulthwé must have some Warlocks who used to be Shining Spears, or just some noisy upstarts. Let them ride their jetbikes if they want; keeps them out of Eldrad's hair, and he gets some peace. :)

Starchild
26-02-2010, 19:53
There are no fluff restrictions on unit selection. Every Craftworld has Windrider Hosts. Saim-hann might prefer them, but that doesn't mean other Craftworlds don't have entire formations of jetbike-mounted Guardians.

The same goes for any other specialized eldar formation: Spirit Host, Aspect Warrior Assault Wave, etc. etc.

bigcheese76
27-02-2010, 14:07
Have as many jetbikes as you want. They look great and there really isnt a limit to how many you should have.

Earthbeard
27-02-2010, 14:23
Just don't paint your models, then no one will complain. Ironic, isn't it? ;)

Seriously, though, not every Ulthwé army is representative of Ulthwé as a whole. Just like how the SAS is not representative of the British military as a whole, they still exist.

Exactly, who's to say your force isn't designed around jetbikes, rather than typical foot slogging?

Collect and paint what you like, as long as you don't use the "this is the missing primarch" thing, i'm none too fussed :D

massey
27-02-2010, 15:16
The onlything I ever read was that Ulthwe seer councils didn't ride jetbikes, because they were too old. But that seems a bit silly. I know some pretty old people who ride motorcycles. Same basic idea.

That was in an old codex that said Eldrad didn't ride a jetbike because he was too old. It said nothing about the others.

Helm
27-02-2010, 15:43
That was in an old codex that said Eldrad didn't ride a jetbike because he was too old. It said nothing about the others.

Old Codex Craftworld Eldar says that about the Seer Council. Not about Warlocks or single Farseers, it was the Seer Council specifically.

Leftenant Gashrog
27-02-2010, 18:30
What's wrong with the fluff? Are they trying to argue that a large craftworld that likes Guardians more than Aspect Warriors wouldn't have fourteen jetbikes and fourteen Guardians to ride them?

Quoted for truth. In EPIC if you want to field an all-Guardian force you can field 54 jetbikers (in autonomous troupes of 18) for every 35 footslogging Guardians..

erikthefool
27-02-2010, 22:46
maybe... the ulthwé guardians are so smart that they are stupid..they think that jetbikes are Magic, and thus they ride jetbikes to show how smart and good at magic they are?
seriously, nobody knows all the fluff there is to know, so paint them however and use them however you want. you can always make up a reason for something in a fictional Universe.
erik..

galahad67
28-02-2010, 00:32
you can feild 6 units of 12 guardians on jetbikes. that's 72. plus a warlock for eachunit. another 6 for a subtotal of 78.

add in another 22 for 2 full seer councilsto bring the total to 100.

and if you Want to be abusive through in another 15 in three units of shining spears for a total of 115.

so...

the 73 guardian jetbike is too many.

the 116th jetbike is too many.

any less is just an army looking to add more...

WiganUltra
28-02-2010, 01:10
The Ulthwe fluff simply says that because they have more Farseers and Warlocks than most Craftworlds they are left with less Aspect Warriors and therefore maintain a standing army of Guardians.

Nowhere has it ever been said that they have a shortage of jetbikes (or any other vehicles for that matter), and since we're talking mainly about Guardian and Warlock jetbikes, then if anything they actually suit the Ulthwe fluff.

Plus, as has been mentioned, although the Craftworlds might tend to lean towards one style or another, the larger ones especially are well capable of deploying Wild Rider, Swordwind, Spirit Host etc forces if the need arises.