PDA

View Full Version : Best loadout for an SM Captain?

Sternguard777
26-02-2010, 07:02
What would you recomend for a generic Space Marine Captain if the primary armies I'll face are nonmech IG, Various Orks, Swarm Tyranids and Mixed Tau (hasn't bought devilfish but has a hammerhead and suits)?

ColonalKlink
26-02-2010, 07:08
for me

Captain
Thunder hammer/storm shield
OR
Captain
Terminator Armour, Thunder hammer /storm shield

maximum survivorbility, hits back extremely hard

Mort
26-02-2010, 07:24
i prefer Artificier Armor, Relic Blade, Storm Shield...
But in my opinion there is no "best loadout" because the optimal loadout depends on the rest of your list...

waiyuren
26-02-2010, 07:31
Most of those armies you listed have awesome squishy bits.
Since the very get-go i've been using a captain with a bike, lightning claw/s, and bike command squad.
even with just boltpistols and chainswords they can put out a fair amount of damage.

But i play for area denial to keep my opponent hedged in, so the three pronged assault these guys are part of, means they are never unsupported unless being sacrificed. (a single ordinance blast could easily wipe them out!)

Noserenda
26-02-2010, 07:40
Relic Blade + Digital Weapons. Very killy, very cheap. Double win!

ColonalKlink
26-02-2010, 07:56
on a side note its fun to get a termy librarian with gate and vortex
drop him with a TH/SS unit near the enemy a vortex away, watch them panic and shoot the hell out of them while your rhino's move in for the kill, or DS the unit in shoot away then teleport away asap

Str10_hurts
26-02-2010, 12:39
-Stormshield and a powerfist (or thunderhammer but my conversion has a fist).
He is my problem solver.

-A pair of lightningclaws and artificer armour.
This guy is anti infantry and has great defences versus non powerweapon attacks.

I like my HQ cheap.

marv335
26-02-2010, 12:48
I like a stormbolter and a lightning claw.
He's my multi-purpose guy.
I've also got a guy on a bike with artificer armour, relic blade, and storm shield (with hellfire bolts)
He's a bit more expensive, but a nice conversion.

WinglessVT2
26-02-2010, 13:00
Thunderhammer/powerfist/relic blade, and a combi-weapon of some kind. Bling him up as you see fit; artificier armor and aux grenade launcher are both good picks, as is hellfire ammo.
Sometimes, it's useful to pay the extra 25 points to make him into a master.

BrotherCaptainS
26-02-2010, 13:11
Regular captains for highest efficiency should be armed with either lightning claws or a relic blade\ss combo. Artificer armor and maybe a few bits and bobs. Why cause regular captains need to use their initiative. Going last is not an option as you may go squish to soon. Max carnage.for regular marines I always preferred lysander. Most important though if he's going to fight make sure u lock down enemy powerfist with a grunt. Guarantee yourself two rounds of swinging.

Askari
26-02-2010, 13:13
Go for a Relic Blade or Lightning Claw, you don't want to waste your I5, and his squad can have the Thunder Hammers or Power Fists you'd like. Captains already have 4+ Inv. saves so I don't see the need for a Storm Shield.

Infact, I'd grab a Relic Blade, Jump Pack and stick him in a big Assault Squad, but that's only because I like Jump Infantry in general, and because I loved the Chaos Dark Blade.

WinglessVT2
26-02-2010, 13:13
I've never had a problem with going last in 5th edition, thanks to weaponskill 6 and the built-in iron halo.

Devastator
26-02-2010, 13:14
relic blade and shield
marv why you have storm shield w/hellfire shield cant shoot:wtf:

Askari
26-02-2010, 13:15
thanks to weaponskill 6 and the built-in iron halo.

How does Weapon Skill 6 help you defend? Except against other Weapon Skill 6 models? (which are quite rare)

WinglessVT2
26-02-2010, 13:19
Weaponskill 6 means people that used to hit you on 3's now hit you on 4's - which adds to your survivability.

marv335
26-02-2010, 13:26
relic blade and shield
marv why you have storm shield w/hellfire shield cant shoot:wtf:

Because he's sitting on a bike.
With TL bolters.
Hitting on a 2+, wounding on a 2+.
It gives him a toughness boost too, so he's T5(4) with a 2+/3++ save.

Askari
26-02-2010, 14:15
Weaponskill 6 means people that used to hit you on 3's now hit you on 4's - which adds to your survivability.

Only for other Weapon Skill 6 models... which aren't numerous by far, I guess it does work, but still, WS6 is much more important for your offense.

VonManstein
26-02-2010, 14:32
Lightning claw + storm bolter, or Bike + Stormshield + relic blade + Hellfire + digital weapons.

When kitting a captain on foot out with several stuff I always felt like being a thief of my own pocket as the Special characters will ussually do it better.

Devastator
26-02-2010, 14:35
Because he's sitting on a bike.
With TL bolters.
Hitting on a 2+, wounding on a 2+.
It gives him a toughness boost too, so he's T5(4) with a 2+/3++ save.
fail for me:cries:

WinglessVT2
26-02-2010, 14:36
Weaponskill is important for both defense and offense, but more so for defense.
Stuff like 4th edition hive tyrants, genestealers, autarchs, exarchs, broodlords, most dark eldar HQ's, old demon princes, new chaos lords, and etc. all used to hit you on 3's, but now hit you on 4's, and you get the iron halo for 'free.'

Initiative isn't as important to me as being able to kill, not hurt, most of the expensive, important units people field, so I take the powerfist over lightning claws.

It's very common that my characters end up in mle with expensive stuff that traded pure hurt for the potential to strike first, and so can't instant-kill me.
Those fights tend to be over in a turn, with my captain or master walking away with at least one wound left.

Askari
26-02-2010, 14:45
Weaponskill is important for both defense and offense, but more so for defense.
Stuff like 4th edition hive tyrants, genestealers, autarchs, exarchs, broodlords, most dark eldar HQ's, old demon princes, new chaos lords, and etc. all used to hit you on 3's, but now hit you on 4's, and you get the iron halo for 'free.'

Agree to disagree, but since most of that list doesn't exist anymore, or have changed stats (Broodlord, Hive Tyrant and Daemon Prince being WS7)

I always trade killy-ness for higher Initiative, no point having a weapon of ultimate death if you die before swinging, that's why I take the Icon of Slaanesh on CSM, kill those Marines and they can't hit back.
If I'm in combat with a S8 unit, you bet my unit either: won't have a character in it or has a character that will crush you before you strike anyway and doesn't care about S8, like Abaddon.

WinglessVT2
26-02-2010, 14:52
I miss the adamantine mantle so much :(

Sternguard777
27-02-2010, 02:50
Thanks for all the advice. sounds like a relic bade was a popular choice as was lightning claws. storm shield was pretty popular too but kind of optional given the free iron halo. all the other upgrades were a bit more scattered about but I have on more question. If I give him a relic blade what would the gun be if I took one?

Project2501
27-02-2010, 03:59
Thanks for all the advice. sounds like a relic bade was a popular choice as was lightning claws. storm shield was pretty popular too but kind of optional given the free iron halo. all the other upgrades were a bit more scattered about but I have on more question. If I give him a relic blade what would the gun be if I took one?

Auxiliary grenade launcher, relic blade, storm shield, artificer armor, jump pack.

Edit: if points are a problem, drop the storm shield, and replace the launcher with a plasma pistol.

wazatdingder
27-02-2010, 04:44
For a generic Capo, Bolt Pistol and CCW...

Power Weapon if your feeling fancy:D

Sternguard777
28-02-2010, 00:51
Any thoughts on his ranged weapon? I would think a pistol would be less useful as the relic blade is two handed.

DaSpaceAsians
28-02-2010, 00:59
What's an Adamantine Mantle?

WinglessVT2
28-02-2010, 01:04
Always give him a combi-weapon if you can.

Even if you 'only' allow him to lug around a boltpistol, that's still a ballisticskill 5 shot, with strength-4.
It's not exactly weaksauce, like an imperial guard junior officer with a laspistol.

Sternguard777
28-02-2010, 03:55
Alright so far it looks like-

Relic Blade
Combi-plama
Artificer armour
Aux-grenade launcher
Digital weapons?

LKHERO
28-02-2010, 06:03
RB and AA. The 4++ is good enough vs. most things, don't need a SS unless you plan to kill enemy HQs.

Zeitkraft
28-02-2010, 06:20
What's an Adamantine Mantle?

An old piece of war gear that granted the Eternal Warrior USR.

Lord Cook
28-02-2010, 07:00
What would you recomend for a generic Space Marine Captain if the primary armies I'll face are nonmech IG, Various Orks, Swarm Tyranids and Mixed Tau (hasn't bought devilfish but has a hammerhead and suits)?

On behalf of your Imperial Guard, Tyranid and Tau opponents, they will fear a S8 weapon far more than the popular Relic blade. The Relic blade has the benefit of I5, but Guard and Tau can't kill you before you strike and Tyranids will probably strike first (or at worst, simultaneously) anyway. By comparison, a Thunder hammer will crack open Imperial Guard tanks, instant kill Tau battlesuits and stun or instant kill multiple-wound Tyranid bugs.

Other than that, wearing either sort of 2+ armour probably won't help you that much. Both the Guard and Tau have plenty of Ap2 weaponry. The mobility offered by a bike would be better protection, dancing from cover to cover and generally being a pain to draw LOS to and shoot.

It's not exactly weaksauce, like an imperial guard junior officer with a laspistol.

I'll have you know my Lieutenant has killed Abaddon with a laspistol! ;)

Havock
28-02-2010, 07:42
For a generic Capo, Bolt Pistol and CCW...

Power Weapon if your feeling fancy:D

That's a waste.