PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of 40K Painters, 2009-2010: Submissions thread #7! March 2010 WIP

McMullet
04-03-2010, 14:26
Please read this post before replying!

Past halfway, and still going strong! Well done to everyone, quite a few of us snook in at the last moment last month, but there are still 31 of us happily painting away. Even if you drop out from now on, you can still pat yourself on the back for coming this far, and I reckon painting half an army in six months is good going!

My apologies for the lateness of this thread.

To continue from last month, the deadline for submissions will be the 14th of March.

For those of you who don’t know what the Tale of Painters is, look here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212681). It's a bit late to join in with this tale, but a new one will start around August. For the moment, please post in the previous working thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243070); from the 15th of March that thread will close, so reply to this one instead.

NOTE: For those of you who missed my post last month, I'm currently suffering from an RSI and so I can't type much. For this reason I won't be able to answer as many questions as I'd like to, nor will I be able to post many comments/feedback on everyone else's work. Hopefully I'll be back up to speed soon. Even if I'm not posting individual comments on what you're doing I'd just like to say how much I enjoy reading through your posts and, especially, looking at the pictures.

MARCH ONLY: IT'S RANDOM MODEL MONTH brought to you in association with GOMEZADDAMS

You may have missed this discussion, but GomezAddams (http://www.warseer.com/forums/member.php?u=58928) made the excellent suggestion that, this month, we should all try to post something that isn't part of our ToP army, to relieve the tedium a little. So, if you have painted something else this month, or have something you're particularly proud of that you painted ages ago, show us a picture of it along with your monthly update (or joker). This is of course entirely optional, but it'd be nice to see something a little different.

YOUR MONTHLY UPDATE

So, you're already signed up to the Tale of 40K Painters, and it's time to show off your minis for this month. Well, you're most of the way there, because this is the thread to do it! All I ask is that you post up pictures of what you have done this month, along with a total points cost, in the next FOURTEEN DAYS. There are some guidelines on what to include below, and you can use my post as a template if you like. If you don't post by the 14th of February you'll count as having played a "joker".

However: Please don't post anything else in this thread until the 15th of March! Feedback, questions and so on should be posted in the current working thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243070) until the 15th, when all submissions are due in and this thread morphs into a new working thread.

For your official monthly post, please try to follow the following guidelines:

You should include a description of each unit you have painted, including the number and type of models, and any upgrades or equipment they carry, followed by the total points cost of the unit. Please, DO NOT post the points costs of individual upgrades or models, as GW don’t like it and so neither, by extension, do the moderators. If you have painted more than one unit, give the total points cost of your monthly painting endeavours.

Next, please post photos of each unit you have painted, and of the army as a whole. Photos should be cropped or resized to around 1000 by 1000 pixels to avoid scrollbars and ensure the thread doesn’t take too long to load.
A note on pictures: Try not to overdo the photos. The Tale is about showing off your work, but try to do it concisely - if everyone posts 13 different angles of every model they paint, that means the whole thread becomes massive. Try to keep your monthly update to one post (6 pictures) and post links to any additional photos you wish to show - or better still, include a link to your painting log here if you have one, so that anyone viewing the thread who takes an interest can take a look and give you some feedback if they want to.

The rest of your post is up to you. You can say anything you like here, about what you enjoyed or found hard, what you were especially pleased with, etc., etc... Feel free to use this post (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1870139&postcount=11) as a template for your update.

If you have to play a joker, please post saying so, and include a suitably amusing image. If you do not post within the next fourteen days, then you will automatically count as having jokered February.

I think we can forgo the dice rolls from now on, 31 people is manageable enough I think. Feel free to carry on if you want to though.

Thanks for reading all that. I look forward to seeing your work - good luck!

Sam (McMullet)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Harry has also posted a couple of good FAQs in the Fantasy tale thread, which are equally applicable here. I will shamelessly steal and repost them here (references to "200 points a month" simply mean a tenth of your army, so if you paint 1500 points altogether that means 150 a month):

Q : Can I paint more than 200 points in a month?
A : Yes (we are not here to tell you how and when to paint your stuff, it is great to get ahead) BUT we would like you only to post 200 points (approx) each month and try to stay roughly on track with 200 points a month (200 points in month 1, 400 points by month 2, 600 points by month 3, etc.) so as not to depress the hell out of those of us who are struggling to keep up.

Q : Can I paint less than 200 points in a month?
A : Yes. But we try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example oif you only painted 100 points one month you could try and get 300 points painted the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive character?
A : This happens a lot. If your character was over 400 points you would simply paint him over two months (the sort of time your general deserves!) So You start posting him one month and post nothing the first month (unless you want to post WIP) then the second month you post the finished model and all the points get added on.

Q : Is there any way to "buy back" a Joker later on in the tale?
A : Yes, just post an update with double points later on, and you'll get back your first joker.

STAT ATTACK

36 Armies
( 31 40K, 3 Epic, 2 BFG)
69050 points signed up so far.

26 Paint 1 army
5 Paint 2 armies

31 Painters in total

By Faction:
1 Chaos Space Marines
2 Chaos
3 Daemons
3 Eldar
5 Imperial Guard
3 Imperium
1 Inquisition
7 Orks
8 Space Marines
3 Tyranids

arobe : 40K Orks - :: Painted: 732 of 2500 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: JOKER
Bellarus666 : 40K Chaos Space Marines - 1008 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 1 Last month: NO SHOW
bert n ernie : 40K Space Marines - Mostly Orange 365 of 1000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: NO SHOW
BigJon : 40K Imperium - 670 of 4000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: ?
Boymilla : 40K Eldar - 521 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 146
Chicken_Funk : 40K Space Marines - 1140 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 0 Last month: 150
daemonkin : 40K Space Marines - Mantis Warriors 1080 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 165
daemonkin : Epic Space Marines - Mantis Warriors 1700 of 3000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 550
Dumnorix : 40K Orks - Evil Sunz 1068 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 1 Last month: 200
Fredmans : Epic Inquisition - Ordo Malleus 1725 of 4000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 425
give_me_a_d : 40K Eldar - 463 of 1000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 155
give_me_a_d : 40K Daemons - 500 of 1000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 90
GomezAddams : 40K Imperial Guard - with Witch Hunter allies 1132 of 1000 :: Jokers used: 1 Last month: 480
GomezAddams : BFG Imperium - 140 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: JOKER
hwd : 40K Space Marines - 800 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 215
hwd : 40K Orks - 770 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: JOKER
infelix : Epic Chaos - 3170 of 3000 :: Jokers used: 0 Last month: 550
iPaint : 40K Imperial Guard - 890 of 1850 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 450
Irondog : 40K Space Marines - Crimson Fists 1180 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 0 Last month: 185
jpobrich : 40K Orks - 230 of 1000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: JOKER
jpobrich : 40K Space Marines - Dark Angels 675 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 190
kiwichild : 40K Tyranids - Genestealer cult (WH/IG rules) 550 of 1000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: NO SHOW
Lamenter for Life : 40k Space Marines - Lamenters 150 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: NO SHOW
Lucky : 40K Imperial Guard - 855 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 230
McMullet : BFG Chaos - Nurgle 1130 of 2250 :: Jokers used: 1 Last month: 235
misterboff : 40K Orks - Deathskulls 982 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 0 Last month: 75
Nuage : 40K Imperial Guard - (Renegades) 865 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 1 Last month: NO SHOW
olean : 40K Tyranids - Genestealer cult (WH/IG rules) 877 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 1 Last month: 174
razormasticator : 40K Tyranids - 988 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 380
RCgothic : 40K Imperium - Space Marines, IG, Navy and AdMech 1845 of 5250 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: 250
sigur : 40K Imperial Guard - with Witch Hunter allies 510 of 1000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: NO SHOW
SuavelyDunn : 40K Orks - 759 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 1 Last month: NO SHOW
warflag : 40K Orks - with CSM (allied army) 589 of 2000 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: ?
wizzard : 40K Eldar - 1536 of 1700 :: Jokers used: 2 Last month: NO SHOW
Zis : 40K Daemons - 895 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 1 Last month: JOKER
Zujara : 40K Daemons - 886 of 1500 :: Jokers used: 0 Last month: 146

Chicken_Funk
05-03-2010, 22:55
Space Marines
Points this Month: 260
Total Points:1400

Land Raider Crusader w/ MultiMelta

Painting: Blood Red with Black and Bleached Bone details

Modelling: Out of the box with some Templar accessories

Highs: Getting a vehicle finished!
Lows: Nothing at all

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/ChickenFunk/landraider-1.jpg

Hopefully an army shot for next month.

misterboff
06-03-2010, 07:04
misterboff's Deathskull Orks: February 2010 [D6 roll = 4]

~1/3 of a Stompa (body)

TOTAL PAINTING FOR FEBRUARY: 200 POINTS (2000/12=167 TARGET)

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1182 POINTS (1169 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
'...the Boneheadz family of Death Skulls once overran and plundered an Imperial penal colony, and wore fragments of convict clothing printed with black arrows for generations afterwards.' - Waaargh The Orks!

BUILD/CONVERSION:
The Stompa is built pretty much as per the instructions. I've split it up to be painted over 3 months:
February - Body
March - Arms and Feet
April - Head and Grot Riggers

PAINTING:
Metal: Boltgun/Badab/Mithril
Black: Chaos/Badab/Adeptus Battlegrey
Straps: Adeptus/Badab
Bone: Dheneb/Ogryn/Bone
Blue: Enchanted/Asurmen/Ice
White: Astronomican/Badab/Skull
Red: Mechrite/Baal/Blood
Yellow: Iyanden/Sepia/Sunburst
Grot Skin: Gretchin/Thraka/Camo

The first colour is the basecoat, the second is a wash and the third is a drybrush.

BASING:
No basing to do this month - hurrah!

STILL TO DO:
Nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: On my way to having an impressive centrepiece to my Ork army, and getting back on target points wise.
Lows: I officially hate painting rivets. Also, this GW Stompa makes my Mr Potato Head Stompa look a bit weedy, but nevermind.

Next month I'm going to carry on with my Stompa, and try to get the arms and feet out of the way next...

misterboff

[Stompa front, Stompa side, Stompa rear, Stompa top]

jpobrich
07-03-2010, 14:12
jpobrich's Dark Angels and Orks

Dark Angels
Total Painting for February '10: 485 points
Total Army Size: 1140 points (76% of goal)
I get two (2) JOKERS back for this month's effort. Hoorah!

Unit:
Ravenwing Sergeant with power fist: 65 points
Ravenwing Attack Bike: 50 points
Ravenwing Landspeeder Tornado: 100 points
Land Raider with storm bolter, extra armour: 270 points

Conversions:
Extra armour (track guards) on the Land Raider was made with plasticard, sprue and styrene rod.

Painting:
Ravenwing: Spray GW Black. Bolters and flamers are painted Mechrite Red, Scab Red, Blood Red and washed with Baal Red. A thin line of Macharius Orange is added last. Seats and saddles are basecoated with Scorched Brown then layered with a 1:1 mix of Scorched Brown and Dark Flesh. More Dark Flesh is added until I'm satisfied. The wings are a simple layering of Skull White over Space Wolf Grey over Fenris Grey (several thin layers of each).

Land Raider: Spray GW Black, undercoat with Orkhide Shade. Basecoat Dark Angels Green, layer with a 2:1 mix of DA Green:Snot Green. Highlight with Snot Green.

Basing:
Gravel, medium and small basing slate, sand. Primed GW Black. Painted Calthan Brown, heavy wash of Flesh Wash, highlighted Tausept Ochre and drybrushed Bleached Bone. The rims were painted Dark Flesh. Patches of static grass attached with blobs of wet Goblin Green paint.

Still to Do:
Drill the weapons, add decals.

Next Month: Probably take a month off to build some more units. Terminators, perhaps?

Orks
Total Painting for February '10: 48 points
Total Army Size: 278 points (28% of goal)

Unit:
8 slugga boyz: 48 points

Conversions:
Nothing, straight from the box.

Painting:
Basically the same as before. I tried a new recipe for the skin which was Knarloc Green, wash with Thraka Green, drybrush with Gretchin Green. Some extreme highlights were sparingly done with Bleached Bone.

Basing:
Gravel, sand. Primed GW Black. Painted Calthan Brown, heavy wash of Flesh Wash, highlighted Tausept Ochre and drybrushed Bleached Bone. The rims were painted Dark Flesh.

Still to Do:
Drill the weapons, add static grass (I'll do this in one big go).

Next Month: Nobs. Lots of Nobs.

/J.P.

infelix
09-03-2010, 10:30
ARMY : Epic Chaos

UNIT: Banelord Titan

BASING: Regular sand from parents garden and old Woodland Scenics snow.

HIGHS AND LOWS: I couldn't find any inspiration to paint the titan so it didn't come out very well. So I just drybrushed it and left it with that. I'll probably end up stripping it in the future. Plus I haven't been able to find chaos bits for it yet.

TOTAL POINTS : 3970pts

http://files.klatu.org/Photos/To40kg/Epic-7.jpg

zis
09-03-2010, 14:36
Zis: Daemons

Total Painting for February: 415 points (buying back 1 joker)
Total Army Size: 1310
Dice Roll: 2

Units:

1 Herald, 3 flamers, 1 daemon prince

Conversions:

The deamon prince have got a pair of wings made out of plastic, i also cut of his sword and made a weapon more suitble for him i think, + the back were his wings are are now full of bowels.

Painting:

I used Vallejo game colours and some GW washes

Still to Do:

The staff on the herald need some more colours it´s totaly black as seen in the picture but i will do that later on when i figure out how to paint it.

Highs and Lows:

Well alot of stuff have been painted this month, and that feels great.
And i think all the models turned out very nice so i am very happy. Tthe only low is that one of the wings broke when i had my last game whit my daemons :(

Pictures:

Sry no army pic this month

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Zis11/litengrupp.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Zis11/litendemon.jpg

BigJon
10-03-2010, 01:21
Ok kind souls of the 40K painters support group, I have to join the rank's of the
fallen and submit to the Inquisition. I've gotten myself involved in a lengthy
project that has made it almost impossible to meet my monthly entries.

I'm currently working on a FW Warhound and have a FW Reaver to follow it with
so my IG are on pass, for now.

BigJon

kiwichild
11-03-2010, 08:22
Genestealer Cult
Points this Month: 112
Total Points:662

Brood Brother command squad

Painting: Same recipes and ingredients as usual.

Modelling: Cawdor Leader, 2x Heavies, Ganger, Juve and Magus as commissar.
Leader: Straight
Heavy 1: Heavy stubber replaced with grenade launcher and some GS to connect the ammo feed to laucher.
Heavy 2: Grenade launcher changed out with melta gun.
Ganger: Vox-pack from cadian sprue
Juve: Brettonian banner and ripper
Magus: straight

Highs: Getting back into painting and only having to worry about 6 figs and the weapon swaps worked out better than expected.
Lows: Probably not having the balls to free hand the banner yet.

Still to do: The white shield on the banner, want to do some free hand but haven't decided on a cult symbol. Indecision 101

Pics:
CMD Squad
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/naganokiwi/P1020357.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/naganokiwi/P1020355.jpg

(I'm gonna try to shoot these again tomorrow, because the light is too fantastic;) )
Army Shot
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/naganokiwi/P1020354.jpg

(Gotta love that glare, damn natural light;) )

Random Miniatures
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/naganokiwi/P1020360.jpg

I painted these chaps about 14 years ago, personally I think they are better than what I do these days. Small hint though....these will be one of my next projects: Communist Revolutionary Grots! After I get my cult, squats, kroot kill squad, lizardmen, space hulk and chaos lord done.....circa 2030......perhaps?

Dumnorix
11-03-2010, 09:47
Dumnorix's Evil Sunz (appr. 2000 points)

FEBRUARY PAINTING:
Unfortunately, not a whole lot. It was a busy month for the non-painting side of life... Also, I had to paint some stuff for a WFB tournament.

Doktor Krusha, Painboy, wearing 'eavy armour
3 Sluggaboyz

TOTAL PAINTING FOR FEBRUARY: 73 Points, I'll hopefully make up for that next month

TOTAL SO FAR: 1141 points.

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Evil Sunz wot drive real fast an' krump ya. Sorry, not a whole lot of new background.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
The boyz are from the box, both AOBR and the Boyz set. One slugga is from a stormboy. Also, I just had to do a guns-akimbo John Woo Ork! :)
Dok Krusha is a 1st edition painboy. The syringe is from the 1st edition battlewagon kit, the shoulder pads are from the Nobs set, and the severed arm is a combination of a current edition arm and a 1st edition hand.

PAINTING:
Ork skin: Catachan Green, Devlan Mud Wash, Camo Green drybrush
Grot skin: Camo Green, Devlan Mud Wash
Metal: Boltgun Metal drybrush over black undercoat. There's also the occasional Tin Bitz detail. Devlan Mud wash.
Red metal: Overbrush metal with Mechrite Red, leaving plenty of scratches.
Brown stuff: Bestial Brown base, mostly with Devlan Mud Wash, but also several other washes and highlights as the mood struck me.
Red stuff: Bestial Brown highlighted with Mechrite Red.
Severed arm: Rotting flesh and Devlan Mud

BASING:
Fine gravel painted Bestial Brown, Bleached Bone drybrush. I hate doing bases, so kept it simple.

STILL TO DO:
Field 'em! :)

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: I have seriously wanted to do this painboy conversion since the early nineties. Who says I don't plan ahead? :)
Lows: Not hitting my target, despite having a big shoota and a Shock Attack Gun nearly finished on my painting table.

SPECIAL GOMEZ ADAMS REQUESTED BONUS!
Also pictured is the stuff I painted for the WFB tournament: a scratch-built Beast of Nurgle and some themed terrain for my Daemons army.

And now... PICTURES!

razormasticator
11-03-2010, 13:42
Gonna need right up to the deadline as usual.

daemonkin
12-03-2010, 23:14

What he said!

D.

Fredmans
13-03-2010, 07:30
What they said! ;)

/Fredmans

SuavelyDunn
13-03-2010, 10:01
What that group said :D

Lucky
13-03-2010, 13:14

What he said!

D.

What they said! ;)

/Fredmans

What that group said :D

I don't want to stand out of the crowd; see you at the deadline!

McMullet
13-03-2010, 16:48
Sure, I'm also posting this late just to fit in...

McMullet's Chaos Spaceship Dude Things or Whatever:

March 2010

Unit 1: Slaughter-Class Cruiser Mordacia
Upgraded with a Chaos Lord with the Mark of Nurgle (235 points)

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JANUARY: 235 POINTS

So far:
September: 230
October: 230
November: JOKER
December: JOKER
January: 435
February: 235
March: 235
TOTAL FLEET SIZE: 1365 POINTS
(Current target: 1350 points)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
The bulk of the fleet is made up of cast-off ships, which are rather the worse for wear. So, the decision on a theme is made for me: A nurgle-based fleet. They won't be too Nurgley for the most part; I'll have 2 Daemonships (probably) and at least one other very dilapidated ship with the Mark of Nurgle, but everything else will just have the odd hole and lots of rust.

All of the ships are named after disease-causing agents (bacteria, viruses, fungi), parasites, or disease vectors. I spent several uncomfortable hours on Wikipedia hunting down cool Latin names for such things.

This month's ship is named Mordacia (a type of Lamprey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petromyzontidae) - it was originally a sister-ship of the Eptatretus, named after the closely related Hagfish).

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Lots of chopping out holes and greenstuff to make the Nurgley bits.

PAINTING:
Undercoat black
Wetbrush Tinny Tin
Drybrush boltgun metal
Wash Badab Black
Details in Graveyard Earth
Details again in Bone
Wash Devlan Mud
Other details black, highlight mix of black and camo green
Parasite brown splodges for rust
Light drybrush all over with Khaki

The Nurgley bits are camo green, bubonic brown, parasite brown and a few other odd colours.

BASING:
Paint bases black, add scenery feature that looks a lot like the ship name.

STILL TO DO:
I think a lot of the icky details need some more work. Also I seem to have stopped work without finishing some parts of the hull again. Next month may be catch up time...

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finally painted this... thing. It came out OK. Also caught up on putting names on some bases.
Lows: I could've got more done. Didn't do anything noteworthy on those Tyranids either.

PICTURES

http://images.fotopic.net/11w8gz.jpg

http://images.fotopic.net/11w8hy.jpg

http://images.fotopic.net/11w8h1.jpg

http://images.fotopic.net/11w8h2.jpg

The fleet so far:

http://images.fotopic.net/11w8h3.jpg

Profile view of Cruisers:

http://images.fotopic.net/11w8hf.jpg

Feel free to check out my project log (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50634) for other pictures and information.

iPaint
14-03-2010, 10:15
For the month I have painted:

1 Chimera with Multi-laser and Heavy Flamer: 55pts
1 Platoon Command Squad w/ 4 Flamers: 50pts
8 Infantry Squad guardsmen, 1 w/ Grenade Launcher: 45pts
8 Infantry Squad guardsmen, 1 w/ Grenade Launcher: 45pts
7 Infantry Squad guardsmen: 35pts

Total: 230pts

EDIT:
Picture of the completed infantry so far, less a Grenade Launcher not yet done. Decals needed on the last few models in there, since I ran out of gloss spray and need to buy some more.

No pics of the Chimera, since it's not here with me now, but look for some armored might in April.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/update_march1.jpg

2000pts of Mechanized Guard:

Arnan 317th "Death's Own" Mechanized Infantry Regiment

Red: Unassembled/Incomplete
Orange: Primed
Yellow: Paint in progress
Green: Finished

HQ:
Company Command Squad
4x Plasma Guns
Officer of the Fleet
Chimera w/ Hull Hvy Flamer

Company Command Squad
4x Plasma Guns
Astropath

Troops:
Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns

Platoon Command Squad
4x Flamers

Infantry Squad
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher

Platoon Command Squad
4x Flamers

Infantry Squad
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher

Fast Attack:
Bane Wolf w/ Hull Hvy Flamer

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ w/ Hull Hvy Flamer

Total: 2000 pts
14 tanks, 82 infantry
Total points painted: 1100

~iPaint

Irondog
14-03-2010, 16:48
Irondog's Crimson Fists

Total Painting for February '10: 350 points
Total Army Size: 1530 points
Die Roll: 1 (of course:()

Units:
Considering I only painted one model last month, I figured I'd go all out. Granted it was a Venerable Dreadnought with a freehand banner, but it was still just one model. So this month, I went nuts painting the lightest unit in the codex and the heaviest: a small squad of sniper scouts and a Landraider.

Conversions:
Nothing major. I added a few purity seals to the Landraider, but nothing too extravagant.

Painting:
I did the Landraider in the same way as the rest of my vehicles. Black Primer. Regal Blue with Badab Black washed into the recesses and edge highlighted with Ultramarines Blue. The paint chipping was done with Boltgun Metal, and the weathering consists of a Bestial Brown wash followed by drybrushes of Bestial Brown and Bleached Bone. I made sure to take the weathering all the way up the front of the assault ramp, just cuz that's what Landariders do.

The blue armor on the scouts was done in the same way as the rest of my infantry, but with freehand chapter iconography because the scout shoulder pads are so small. Thankfully most of the squad has camo cloaks, so there were only a few visible shoulder pads. The fatigues were done with a Codex Grey basecoat, followed by a Fortress Grey highlight then a wash of Badab Black.

The camo cloaks were done in a similar way: Codex Grey basecoat, followed by geometric shapes in Fortress Grey and Chaos Black, and topped off with a wash of Badab Black to tone them down a bit. I went for the grey cloaks instead of desert (like the basing) just because I like the color. Plus I figure that camo cloaks are made of a reactive material anyway, and are probably a neutral grey color before they pick up the background color.

Basing:
Gravel and pebbles, then painted with Bestial Brown, followed by drybrushes of Bubonic Brown and Bleached Bone in that order.

Still to Do:
Nothing.

Highs and Lows:
Highs: Banging out almost twice the points for this month. A smart move since I have a ton of stuff to get done for a tournament in April, and may have to joker next month.

Lows: A Landraider is a damn big model to paint.

PICTURES

http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/crimsonfists/scouts.jpg
http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/crimsonfists/LR1.jpg
http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/crimsonfists/LR2.jpg
http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/crimsonfists/LR3.jpg
http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/crimsonfists/army_05.jpg

give_me_a_d
14-03-2010, 17:24
Give_me_a_d does Eldar, and more Daemons

Units painted this month: Pathfinders 44pts and ½ Daemon Prince 90pts
Current Army Sizes: Daemons 590pts; Eldar 507pts
Jokers: The points this month for my Eldar mean that I'm still on 2 jokers for them and I've used 1 for the Daemons.

Models: The Pathfinders are straight out of the box with the addition of the mail order only guy kneeling with helmet. The Daemon Prince is a RT Chaos Dreadnought.

Painting: The Pathfinders have had red armour done in the same way as the Guardians previously. The cloaks were done with Charadon Granite and highlighted with Gretchin Green followed by a Thraka Green wash. I've also basecoated the boots bags etc Calthan Brown and the helmets Spacewolves Grey. I reckon I'm about half way on these guys but doing the maths on points I realised that as they are 144pts total it would make sense to leave 100pts for next month.

I started the Daemon Prince last month with Dheneb Stone, Astronomican Grey, Macharius Solar Orange, Blood Red and Gretchin Green. The skullface, knee caps(?) and claw have been done with Vomit Brown, Bleached Bone and white. Since then I've done tube details with warlock purple and tentacle pink, washed everything mud and sepia and gone over some of the details to pick them out and done the base.

Basing: pretty much standard stuff – various sizes of slate from the 40K basing kit and then Charadon Granite, Graveyard Earth and Kommando Khaki and edged with graveyard earth. Still to do onn the Pathfinders.

Still To Do: Finish the Pathfinders for next month

Highs And Lows: The DP is such a lovely model I've been looking for an excuse to paint him and I think he has come out quite well. Similarly quite pleased with the Pathfinders so far.

Pictures:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/give_me_a_d/Eldar_Rangers05.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/give_me_a_d/Daemons_DP2_01.jpg

Next time on TO40KP...
Finish the Rangers but for the Daemons I'm really not sure, possibly any of a number of things.

And finally...
For the random factor (like a tractor) I give you a deathguard threesome. The paint job on thses boys isn't the greatest but I'm still quite proud of the conversion work (Can you spot some of the bits?) -

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/give_me_a_d/DeathGuard01.jpg

Bellarus666
14-03-2010, 19:58
Hi guys

Back again after showing my first joker last month. Needed a smallish unit to get me back on track but one that soaked up a few points...

The unit of Khorne Berserkers fit the bill. Only problem was trying to fit a traditionally red colour scheme into my overall 'Purge' themed army. This is what I came up with. I think I've probably seen a similar approach before and it triggered something in my mind when I sat down to paint these. Unfortunately quality of painting was sacrificed for speed as I was also trying to 'buy back' last month's joker. As a result I also have a Summoned Daemon painted but simply haven't shown him as he still needs basing. Will post him next month along with whatever I manage to paint then.

In answer to previous questions, the black is highlighted but it doesn't really come out on the photos. Likewise the bases are highlighted up to near white but it also doesn't show that well. (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ;-) )

Points painted so far: 1008
Points painted this month: 248
Points now painted to date: 1256

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/bellarus_photos/berserkers.jpg

See you next month

SuavelyDunn
15-03-2010, 00:00
Evening,

After managing to finish painting my entry this month, my tin of matt varnish decided to spit instead of spray!

Another one on order, so I will be finishing them during the week and posting then.

Sigh...

A.

GomezAddams
15-03-2010, 00:49
Yar i be stuck in the midlands, so i be late postin me pics!

(sorry for the rather unnecessary piratey-ness. I've painted up a veteran squad with camo cloaks, and as a side project painted up 20 odd bretonnian knights :d)

razormasticator
15-03-2010, 00:50
I need an extra day or so as well. I figure its better than the alternative which is to drop out, and since our tale has had a particularly high mortality rate. I am asking for leiniency.

warflag
15-03-2010, 01:24
yeah, me too.. suffering some major problems with my i-net machine here.
be coming back with chaos stuff, some zerkers and raptors that´d be.

the flag

olean
15-03-2010, 08:56
Argh! Sorry, I am gonna have to joker this month. Curses!:mad:

Obligatory excuse: one week away on a work-related visit back to my hometown of Alta, then ten days of NATO exercise Cold Response with my Home Guard unit (which was totally worth it, kicking UK Royal Marines butt in freezing winter conditions. WIN!)

I have done some work though, which will be done for next month. Five genestealer hybrids with cc weapons, and some more purestrain stealers. Also, I am currently searching ebay for the perfect 1/43 scale diecast cars to use for coven limos...watch this space!

To those that posted updates this month - high five!

Zujara
15-03-2010, 09:15
Phew made it! Close call this month!

UNIT: Daemon Prince with Mark of Nurgle, Iron Hide, Cloud of Flies and Noxious Touch

TOTAL POINTS : 1041/1500

HIGHS AND LOWS: Been a hard month, my grandfather passed away and my health was really bad up until last week. Painting this was slow but it gave me something positive to focus on at least.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/aevisane/nurgleprincef.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/aevisane/nurgleprinces.jpg

daemonkin
15-03-2010, 10:03
Nice (gross) looking prince Zujura. Pics tonight.

D.

Jonahmaul
15-03-2010, 11:51
Hey folks, out of the Tale but still like to check out people's stuff & comment so here we go:

@ Chicken_Funk - nice looking tank, I like the stealth suits in the background too!

@ misterboff - very nice stompa, looking good already so I'm sure it'll look ace once it's completely finished

@ jpobrich - excellent stuff for both armies, I love the picture on the sand of the land raider, did you freehand that yourself?

@ infelix - still a good entry even if you weren't motivated

@ zis - very nice stuff, I love the deamon prince, the wings are ace, very nurgle like too

@ kiwichild - awesome to see necromunda stuff again & well painted to boot!

@ dumnorix - very good stuff & excellent scenery piece

@ McMullet - love that ship, very decrepid & nurgle like

@ Irondog - well once again another stunning entry! loving those camo cloacks

@ give_me_a_d - great stuff for both your eldar & chaos, love seeing old school models like that dread you've used for the deamon prince

@ Bellarus666 - personally I would've been tempted to just leave them in regular khorne berzerker colours but the painting is still excellent. any chance of an army shot, be nice to see how these look compared to their mates (do khorne berzerkers have mates or just victims?!)

@ zujara - sorry to hear you've had some personal problem dude. glad that you've had something positive to focus on & it gives us something positive too as that deamon prince is excellent & a pleasure to look at

I'm slowly painting some scouts at the moment which I hope to finish over the next few weeks so I hope to have an entry to show next month (although I'm technically out of the Tale I hope you guys don't mind me tagging along when I can & getting some feedback)

hwd
15-03-2010, 14:09
Hey all,

This month has been a bit on the manic side for me and so I am unfortunatley going to have to play jokers for both mt Orks and my Marines...
The coming month is looking like it will be a bit more relaxed so I should be able to get some stuff done for next month

Sorry all

Hwd

McMullet
15-03-2010, 14:11
Good work so far everyone who's posted; for the rest, shall we say that Wednesday "counts as" the 14th for this month? ;)

daemonkin
15-03-2010, 14:31
Nooooo! I'm not missing this deadline and will post pics tonight!

D.

McMullet
15-03-2010, 15:35
You'll have a job mate, the deadline was yesterday. :p

daemonkin
15-03-2010, 15:45
Damn! Where's that DeLorean... And I had everything done and all and was thinking I'll leave it to get clearer pics.

D.

razormasticator
15-03-2010, 20:45
Good work so far everyone who's posted; for the rest, shall we say that Wednesday "counts as" the 14th for this month? ;)

Yes that would be perfect. Thanks McMullet!

Malorian
15-03-2010, 20:53
I'm not part of this tale (I'm in the fantasy one) but something really bugged me...

Isn't there WAY too much dust on Chicken_Funk's landraider for it to be a freshly painted model? :confused:

GomezAddams
15-03-2010, 22:22
Looks like my tele after I've been airbrushing in my room... Although I can see your point - what be reason for yonder dust on yer raider chicken funk?

Getting home late Wednesday so its going to be a close one! Having said that, my orders on its way from Wayland :D

Chicken_Funk
16-03-2010, 05:37
The reason for the dust?? Sanding drywall and when I took the blankets covering the furniture off I dropped one and POOF, dust over all my tanks. Guess I didn't get it all of my raider.

daemonkin
17-03-2010, 09:57
Right, sorry I missed posting deadline. Models were finished. Honest Injun!

Army: Mantis Warriors Space Marines Badab War

Units: Dreadnought and Vindicator

Painted this month: 265
Painted Total: 1345

Dice Roll: 3

Conversions: None. Dreadnought weapons will be magnetised.

Painting: Standard Green and yellow. White done with astronomicon grey, wash of shadow grey and matte medium, highlight with elf grey.

Still to do: Base on dread. Decals on both.

Highs: Painting the FW Mk4 Dread. Lovely bit of kit.
Lows: None.

Pics:
http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1262.JPG

http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1263.JPG

http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1265.JPG

http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1259.JPG

Sorry for crap pics. Army shot when I have time. WIP Tactical Squad 2.

D.

daemonkin
17-03-2010, 10:04
Army: Mantis Warriors Epic Space Marines

Unit: Reaver titan from Legio Basiliskos (Cockatrices)

Painted this month: Still WIP so 325 (out of 650)
Painted so far: 2025

Dice roll: 3

Painting: The legio is traditionally Black with gold but I decided to invert it - gold with black and then substituted gold with yellow to tie into my army. Think I pulled it off ok.

Conversions: As the reaver was the wrong one from FW it came with 3 missile launchers so I dug in my bits box and replaced left one with a warlord chainfist and replaced right weapon with a turbo laser destructor. This means the titan has gon from a 'Goth' class support titan to a 'Vandal' class inspirational titan - what's more inspiring than blasting another titan before closing in to rip apart with a chainfist?

Pics:
http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1272.JPG

Better pics to come.

D.

Fredmans
17-03-2010, 14:33
Fredmans' Epic Ordo Malleus Inquisition Force

Painted this month: Grey Knight Strike Cruiser (225 points)

Background/Theme: The Strike Cruiser follows the same colour scheme as my Grey Knight units. I tried to enhance the contrasts a bit to emphasize the structure of the ship, and that probably explains the shabbyness in an up-close photography. On the other hand, it looks quite striking on the table-top.

Models: This is a Forgeworld BFG Grey Knight Strike Cruiser. I only added a small brass eagle to the front.

Basing: I leave it clear at the moment. The alternative would be to mimic a satellite photographic look from a desert area, which I intended to do, but time ran out, as always.

Highs: Painting a space ship was a bit different, but I learned lots from it, and I am now looking forward to other spaceships. The other high is that the Cruiser added very much flexibility to the list. With it, I can teleport (deep strike) regular Grey Knight Marines as if they were Terminators.

Lows/Still to do: Being dissapointed with the heraldry, I decided to start it over, hence the black shield. I also added a parchment background for the ship's name in calligraphy on both prows. I intend to update when I am finished.

Picture of the almost there Cruiser.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/ordomalleusmar1.jpg

Comments and finished work will follow.

/Fredmans

GomezAddams
17-03-2010, 15:06
I'm still in the Midlands, will be until tomorrow night so I'll Joker sadly. Bloody annoying as well as there sat on my desk, but I'll be back with a vengence next month, mark my words

*waves angry fist, scuttles back to the land of beer*

McMullet
17-03-2010, 15:25
If it's painted, it's done. You don't have to joker because you can't take pictures.

zis
17-03-2010, 15:49
ok great work everybody, those who have not posted pictures will get a comment later on:

Chicken_funk: Landraiders are cool and so is yours :)

Misterboff: Nice start on that stompa,it´s a really nice model for sure.

Jpobrich: cool minis very smooth, and great freehand on the landraider

Infelix: tyrant head and titan, strange mix in a good way :p

kiwichild: just great to see those old models, fantastic

Dumnorix: Really nice terrain you have there, like the slannesh alot. simple but very nice.

Macmullet: nice to see your fleet growing, seems this have been a nurgle month for more then 1 of us. :D

Irondog: nice as always.

Give_me_a_d: That daemonprince is killer, what model is it?

Bellarus666: cool to see some bersekers that is not just painted in red.

Zujara: nice prince you got there mabey its my evil twin? :D
Daemonkin: waiting for that army pic :)

Fredmans: very nice, very very nice and the colour scheme you use fits perfectly.

hwd
17-03-2010, 16:29
If it's not too late I would like to not play a joker this month for my orks and instead enter some stuff? If it is too late then I can just enter more stuff next month I suppose

Hwd

GomezAddams
17-03-2010, 17:54
Cheers McMullet, I'll sort myself out when I get back tomorrow (bout seven-ish)

Zujara
17-03-2010, 19:38
Comments so far!

Chicken_Funk: Good looking Raider, I like the commander in the back.

Misterboff: Great start to the Stompa, looking forward to seeing it complete!

jpobrich: Great looking models, I love the freehand on the Land Raider!

infelix: The tyrant head works well I think, very interesting.

zis: Good model choice for the herald, and the daemon prince conversion is very good. As always, love your basing.

kiwichild: Army is coming together very nicely, love the blues.

Dumnorix: Good looking Orks and Terrain, and your bases look good despite being so simple nice work!

McMullet: Conversion turned out well, looks very nurgley. Fleet is looking very impressive.

iPaint: Looking forward to those pictures!

Irondog: Once again, some amazing Crimson Fists. I love the weathering on your vehicles.

give_me_a_d: Pathfinders are coming along nicely, and great to see that old dreadnought being put to good use.

Bellarus666: Berserkers look nice, good use of colours to tie them into your army yet still look like Berserkers.

daemonkin: Glad you made it this month! I really like your greens, and the Chapter you chose.

Fredmans: Your Cruiser looks very nice, I like all the little details like the book.

BoyMilla
17-03-2010, 22:07
Hello all,
Very glad there was an extension this month. I'm a bit under my points target but with no jokers left I'm not too sure what to do. I don't want to drop out as I fear I will totally lose motivation. If its ok then I'll just keep going and try to make up some points over the next few months.

Boy Milla’s Iyanden Spirit Host: February 2010

Unit 1: 2 more Wraithguard
Cost: 70 POINTS

Unit 2: 5 guardians (1/2 a squad)
Cost: 40 POINTS

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JANUARY: 110 POINTS

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 631 POINTS

BUILD/CONVERSION: None.

PAINTING: I’ll just list colours used, if anyone wants to know technique etc please just ask!
YELLOW: Sunburst Yellow, Bad Moon Yellow, Skull White, Dark Flesh. I've changed my technique a little to make it a bit quicker.
GOLD: Burnished Gold, Devlan Mud.
BLUE: Regal Blue, UM Blue, SW Grey, Asurman Blue.
PURPLE: Liche Purple, VMC Fluorescent Pink, Skull White

BASING: As last month.

STILL TO DO: Static grass again and maybe some runes too.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Actually painted 7 models!!!
Lows: I'm under points again, nearly got another wraithguard done which would've helped.

PICTURES
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL92/9374494/17143183/384374217.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL92/9374494/17143183/384374220.jpg
Army shot so far..
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL92/9374494/17143183/384374218.jpg

razormasticator
18-03-2010, 02:24
Photos are forthcoming guys.

razormasticator
18-03-2010, 04:05
Razormasticators Hive Fleet Behemoth Splinter Fleet

Asking for clemency here guys with my deadlines. The wife and I are still having drama.

Total Painting for February: 192 points for the stealers, 60 for the Zoanthrope, 48 for the Broodlord.
300 total this entry

Total Army Size: 1288 points
Die Roll: 4

Units:
12 Genestealers with Scything Talons & Rending Claws, 1 Zoanthrope, 1 Broodlord

Painting:
Same routine as the past few months.

Basing:
Same routine as the past few months. Although I was torn as to how to do the Tyranid-ish bits on the Genestealer bases.

Still to Do:
Clean up the red a bit, Dip, Dullcoat, Static Grass

Highs and Lows:

High:
Getting my second troop choice out of the way.

Lows:
Being torn about using a color other than Red on the Tendrils. I want them to stand out on the model but look natural as well. I thought about using Green or Pink but I nixed the pink idea as I didn’t want to add another color to the scheme.

Next Month:

Work on my Tyrant Finally and my Trygon, maybe even get a lictor done. I am gearing up for a buttload of Gaunts. So I want to get some big gribblies done.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0003-6.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0006-6.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0007-4.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0008-3.jpg

Fredmans
18-03-2010, 08:34
Alright, since most strugglers (like myself) have their pics up now, I thought I should add some comments.

@Chicken_Funk: Great raider and weathering effects :D The templar accessories really do their bit. Out of curiosity, what is the hurricane (?) bolter? Is it six heavy or regular bolters? I see you went with the classic multi-melta configuration as well. Must feel good to get that beast painted.

@misterboff: And talking about beasts. That kit makes me want to start 40K Orks. I love the looted plates on the front. Have you considered adding some to the back as well? Great start, although it feels weird not having you presenting 50 boyz every month.

@jpobrich: Great entries this month. I love the clean muted painting on your ravenwing, and the raider looks absolutely fantastic. Is that freehand on the inlet? If so, I bow to your painting skills.

@infelix: I think the Tyranid/Imperial combination works in a balrog meets battle tech kind of way ;) Paintings-wise, I think you are off to a good start. Dry-brushing works quite well, you might just want to fill in the recesses and highlight those edges a bit and the dry-brush effect would soon disappear.

@zis: I think this is one of your strongest entries so far. Great painting, fantastic bases and excellent conversions. I love how you executed the fly wings' concept. Great work, and good to see that you bought back a joker.

@kiwichild: Great commie bastard orks, grotz.... ;) Good to see that I am not the only one with a humongous... back log and still being earnest about it. I think your brood is growing to be a great force. If you are takin indecision 101 classes, I am proud to announce that I just entered 102. Just go for it, paint something, and tidy it up with white.

@Dumnorix: Your ork look really grows on me. They look dirty, smelly and orky indeed. Great posing, neat conversions. By the way, great Gomez Addams contributions as well.

@McMullet: I think the conversion works great, and if you look at the fleet shot, it really stands out as possessed/infested. I think you might have the same problem as I experience when painting sculpting details. The tentacles come out perfectly, but the moulds/warts (?) could do with some more definition. I have no solution, but I would probably take the thinnest brush and start applying some dark shades to add contrast even if I had to paint rather than wash. Sometimes, at this scale, you paint texture (if that makes any sense). By the way, I love the theme and the names, and the fleet shot looks really great.

@iPaint: After your last months' painting frenzy, I have no doubt that you painted all that. Will comment when you get the pictures thing sorted out.

@Irondog: I can only second what everyone else says, the Raider looks great, but in my view, the cloak camo is absolutely amazing. It is so hard getting the triangles right, and yours look factory made. Are you using any camo reference, or are you a camo natural?

@give_me_a_d: Great rangers. I think you pulled the red/green potential super clash off really great. The cloaks are really good. It strikes me a bit weird, though, to carry bright white helmets while hiding in the woods. Those Eldar are really enigmatic ;) I think the old dread turned out great. You have really honoured a great model.

@Bellarus666: I love your Berzerker colour scheme. I am doing something similar for Epic Chaos, and your models show that there is no mistaking them from being followers of Khorne anyway.

@Zujara: Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Your model looks really great, though. I think it is one of the best daemon princes I have seen in a long time.

@daemonkin: Seems you found the DeLorean after all ;) Great dread and vindicator. Is that the command tank accessory on top? I, too, have a 3 missile launcher Reaver in store. Good bitz raiding, although the Chainfist looks mighty big on him. Would you be interested in an old-school Reaver fist? I think I have one in my Epic bitz box. Otherwise, the chain fist gives him some bad-ass attitude befitting a Vandal.

@BoyMilla: Fantastic stuff, as always. I am really impressed by your yellows. I suspect that the different shade of yellow on the Guardians is on purpose, or is it a photograpy issue.

@razormasticator: Building a horde, aren't we? ;) Good to see that the army progresses, despite the drama. Hope things work out for you. I have a nagging suspicion that your army will look great.

/Fredmans

Jonahmaul
18-03-2010, 14:42
@ boymilla - gorgeous stuff once again, how do you do the yellow? i'm assuming from the list of paints that you work up from sunburst with the highlights & then wash in dark flesh or do you do the wash earlier?

@ razormasticator - very nice nids. looking forward to seeing your big nids soon

zis
18-03-2010, 15:21
Boymilla: Always a plasure to see you eldar, just love them. So keep on painting whould be really bad if you had to drop out.

Razormasticor: Great work, will be great to see some big boys nexth month :)

razormasticator
18-03-2010, 15:41
Thanks for all the comments guys. I will be sure to get the post dip and static grass photos up soon. The next few days.

@ Chicken Funk, cool raider with an interesting scheme.. despite the dust.

@ Mistaboff... STOMPA!!!!! Sweet dude, and very orkilly painted. I think its great and looks very intimidating. That is such a cool model.

@jpobrich dude those are some well painted dark angels. the freehand on the LR is especially nice.

@infelix... like the color scheme, that's one nasty lavender death dealer. I think an ink wash would help immensely!

@ zis, I love the colors on those flamers and the conversion on the nurgle piece is well done. Nice work.

@ Kiwichild... nice gangers there with a great color scheme. The Commando is bad assed!

@ Dumnorix good looking orks there, I like the blood on the pain boy scissors.

@ Mcmullet.. as usual your fleets look great. Keep it up, I am sure you will have everything you need done in no time!

@ ipaint. High quality entry from you as usual. Your work is really awesome. I am jealous.

@ irondog... those are some amazingly painted fists, consider me a big fan of your work.

@gimmie a d nice rangers, love the color scheme. I like the icky fleshy look to the OOP chaos dread, and the plague marines are equally nasty.

@ Bellarus666 Nice stuff there, good use of an alternate color scheme on the Bezerkers.. I like the washes you used to good effect.

@Zujara Sweet demon prince, you really did some justice to that model.

@ Demonkin. good looking Dread and Vindy, you gotta get some weathering done on them now.

@ Fredmans That strike Cruiser is beautiful. Nice scheme and well executed as always.

@ Boymilla stunning Eldar as always. This stuff just looks so good and the colors really pop. Great, great work.

daemonkin
18-03-2010, 15:51
Thanks Razor, I'll have to ask Irondog how he does his. I suck at weathering!

Comments to all later.

D.

give_me_a_d
18-03-2010, 17:48
Give_me_a_d: That daemonprince is killer, what model is it?

It's a 20 something year old Chaos Dreadnought. You can see it in the 1991 Citadel catalogue here http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2110chaosmarines-h.htm

Jonahmaul
18-03-2010, 18:23
Thanks Razor, I'll have to ask Irondog how he does his. I suck at weathering!

Comments to all later.

D.

Lol, this is what I did deamonkin! Also asked him for advice on battle damage which I'll be giving my dread when I get it back from Cardiff!

BoyMilla
19-03-2010, 10:36
Thanks for all the comments everyone, I'll post again later with comments for all.
Replies for now,

@Fredmans, glad someone noticed the slight difference in yellows. What I was aiming for was a warmer looking yellow for the "living" things in the army ie, guardians. Then a cooler stark yellow for the wraith constructs. The farseer and warlock were supposed to be in between. I'm not sure if I've totally pulled it off, but its fun to try different things.

@Jonahmaul, I did the yellow with a base of sunburst, "black-lined" with dark flesh, tidied up with skull white, then painted sunburst again and mixed highlights up to skull white.
On the guardians I did a few extra washes/glazes of dark flesh especially in the darker areas.

I'll post again soon.
BM

Fredmans
20-03-2010, 10:50
@Fredmans, glad someone noticed the slight difference in yellows. What I was aiming for was a warmer looking yellow for the "living" things in the army ie, guardians. Then a cooler stark yellow for the wraith constructs. The farseer and warlock were supposed to be in between. I'm not sure if I've totally pulled it off, but its fun to try different things.

Well, I am glad I noticed it too, it means that age and painting 6mm have not completely ruined my eyesight yet. I think it is a great idea, and I think it will become more and more noticeable as the army grows.

/Fredmans

Jonahmaul
20-03-2010, 11:29
@ Boymilla - I noticed the difference in the yellow too although didn't realise why you were doing it which is a nice idea. I think I prefer the slightly darker look of the guardians but both are great, yellow is such a hard colour to paint well in my experience

misterboff
20-03-2010, 17:51
A bit later than usual, but it's comment time:

@Chicken_Funk: Good to see that your colour scheme goes well on vehicles too. The Templar bits customise it nicely.

@jpobrich: Great looking models this month - the freehand on the Land Raider is amazing! Your Ork skin recipe is nearly the same as mine, but I drybrush with Camo Green instead (which is very similar anyway)!

@infelix: It looks good so far, but like you say, a few Chaos bits would make it fit a bit better with the rest of your army. Where is the head from, is it a Bloodletter?

@zis: The cold colours for your Flamer's seems a very Tzeentchian choice, and I love the Herald's robes. The DP looks great too, the orange/red sores look very angry and ready to burst!

@kiwichild: Very good work this month, I think the Heavies came out great. Loving the old school Blood Axe Boss with his 2nd edition base too.

@Dumnorix: Slugga Boyz look good, as does the Painboy (I love the huge scissors). Your Beast reminds me of a cross between a dragonfly and a stick insect, and your terrain is very good.

@McMullet: Your Chaos Lord must be truly blessed, because that is one nasty looking ship you've got there! I particularly like the eye.

@iPaint: Sounds like you've had a very busy month - looking forward to the pics...

@Irondog: Brilliant work as usual. Camo triangular camo scheme works really well, especially so on the kneeling Scout. Very impressive army shot too - looks like something out of White Dwarf.

@give_me_a_d: Pathfinders look great so far, looking forward to seeing them finished next month. Considering the model, the DP's colour scheme looks very natural/organic - well done! The DG are pretty gruesome too.

@Bellarus666: Love the colour scheme. Undeniably Khorne, but very Purgey too, just how they should be.

@Zujara: Great Daemon Prince. The sword looks nice and rusty and the base is good too.

@daemonkin: Good looking vehicles you've painted this month. I particularly like the red lights and the dozer blade. Titan looks good too, the heraldry stands out well.

@Fredmans: Lovely Cruiser you've got for us this month. The grey highlights look very well done.

@BoyMilla: Beautiful Eldar models. I really like the white faces on the Guardians, and the gems look superb too.

@Razormasticator: Looks like it's been a busy month for you! Well done on lots of great looking models. As for the tendrils, how about a dull (foundation?) orange or yellow to compliment the red and contrast the blue?

SuavelyDunn
21-03-2010, 10:25
Guys,

Am still clinging on in the Tale, but have been let down by the ebay trader (bought & paid for last week - still not arrived:cries:) who is usually soooo good.

I have finished 7 Kommandos (inc Nob with Power Klaw) and this is my entry. Once the varnish has arrived I will post pictures, but this amy not be until next weekend now.

Good news is that I am pressing on with Killa Kans & Lootas for this month!

Great stuff shown so far!

A.

Lucky
21-03-2010, 19:02
Cadian 109th:

Month 6- LEMAN RUSS DEMOLISHER/ CHIMERA x 2

ARMY: Imperial Guard
ARMY POINTS: 2000
TOTAL PAINTING FOR FEBRUARY: 305 POINTS
TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1160 POINTS (Over half way, huzzah!)

BUILD/ CONVERSION:
New Leman Russ Demolisher and old Chimeras plus my standard addition of Space Marine search lights. I’ve also drilled the barrels per SuavelyDunn’s suggestion.

PAINTING: The tank scheme is set in stone now; I love the look of them all together. The chimeras are for the platoon command squads from back in November. The red and the yellow on the turrets differentiate between the platoons (Red platoon and Gold platoon) and the black indicates the company (Black company!). As ever the transfers will be added later when I decide what I want to do with them!

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Highs: Three tanks painted in a horrifically busy month, a new record! I’m very pleased that I’ve decided on company and platoon designations.
Lows: Am I late?! My local store not having any black ink for a week coupled with a need to work as much overtime as possible caused the delay. The good news is that I’ve already started my next batch of painting; fingers crossed for next month!

STILL TO DO:
Transfers.

PICTURES:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn217/LuckyDaveBrown/SL271902.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn217/LuckyDaveBrown/SL271907.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn217/LuckyDaveBrown/SL271899.jpg

To avoid the dreaded double post I''l upload my comments at the same time:

@Chicken_Funk: Great colour scheme and the commander at the back is a cool touch.

@misterboff: The Stompa is coming along nicely. While you may hate the rivets, the Stompa would lose something without them. Looking forward to seeing it next month.

@jpobrich: Fantastic free hand on the land raider. I also like how crisp your Ravenwing bikers/ speeder look.

@zis: Flawless conversion with the scythe. I wouldn’t have noticed it unless you had pointed it out, which really is the aim of any good conversion. Also I want to say again how much I love your bases.

@kiwichild: Cawdor! The Cawdor boxset was one of the first I bought, makes me feel all nostalgic! Your models are far better painted than mine were back then. The green ring bases add to the feeling of nostalgia!

@Dumnorix: If you have a model carrying scissors does that mean that they cannot run in the shooting phase? Anyway, great models this month. The beast of nurgle is truly demonic, nicely done.

@McMullet: I won’t forget you this month! Good work with the green stuff. I like the way the ship matches the fleet’s paint scheme but stands out due to the tentacles.

@iPaint: Sounds like you've had a very busy month - looking forward to the pics...

@Irondog: Way to go on making the jawesome scout heads look great. Fantastic weathering on the land raider. Every month you continue to impress me with your painting.

@give_me_a_d: The pathfinders are coming along nicely. Glad to see the daemon prince finished, he’s come out really well.

@Bellarus666: Great balance between the Khorne and Purge colour schemes, looks really natural.

@Zujara: Sorry to hear about your grandfather. The colours on the daemon are beautiful, which some how seems wrong for Nurgle!

@daemonkin: The green on your vehicles is great; nice and rich. Be sure to post the dread again next month when you’ve based it.

@Fredmans: Good detailing on the cruiser in a perfect colour scheme.

@BoyMilla: Best yellow around, fantastic.

@Razormasticator: The horde’s coming on nicely. Great red as ever.

If I’ve missed anyone feel free to tell me off!

GomezAddams
21-03-2010, 21:20
*Cue loud popping sound as Gomez finally pulls his finger out*

As I've said, been bobbing around the country over the last fortnight however, finally..

GOMEZ'S FRAKKING 4TH!

UNIT 1
10 Veterans - 2 sniper rifles, Vox caster (drummer), Forward Sentries Doctrine - 115pts

http://i40.tinypic.com/1zbylhc.jpg

I also painted up the missing member of first platoon.

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JANUARY : 115pts

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1247pts out of a planned 1000pts.

BACKGROUND/THEME:
A relief force of ordinary ground pounding guard, rescuing a local pdf regiment.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
The same Victrix scots with west wind heads I used last month, with cloaks sculpted on. Not amazing conversions but does the job. I haven't added wire this time as I dont see that being practical - might add some kind of tube later.

PAINTING:
Exactly the same as last months scots - The base is yellow green by vajello, leather and the guns are in foundation brown, and tallarn flesh for the flesh. Administratum grey for the cloaks with black trim. They were then painted with strong tone army painter.

BASING
Again, I'm still not tied down to anything just yet which is why its foundation grey.

STILL TO DO:
They need markings but otherwise there done.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
HIGHS - Finally getting settled for long enough to post these.
LOWS - Leaving it so late and letting the side down. My bad guys!

WHATS NEXT:
As this month has been a bit of a disaster, I'm determined to be finished ahead of schedule. As such, if you check my log, you'll see I've cracked on which a Chimera.
I'm still plugging away at the techie guard, mainly because I haven't been able to settle long enough to get them properly started, and now I have a whole new box of Victrix which I'm converting while I'm on my travels. In addition, I might have another chimera on the way, and it is the forgeworld open day next weekend...

Oh, and seeing as this was my idea, heres what else I've been upto..
http://i41.tinypic.com/2hz0c4j.jpg

Comments later :)

Zujara
23-03-2010, 10:41
Some more comments for those who posted a bit later!

BoyMilla: Love the yellows you do and how your army is coming together!

razormasticator: Good sized entry for this month, I really like the contrast between the carapace and the body.

Lucky: Nice looking vehicles, congratulations on getting 3 done in one month! Very impressive to still keep a high quality with all that painting to do.

GomezAddams: Glad you made it this month, really like their coats. I really like those miniatures!

Thanks everyone for the comments so far! Some are kinder than I think I deserve, but I'll take them anyways :D After lots of testing I finally came up with some colours for my unit of Bloodcrushers this month and am well on my way now. Here's a quick peek, sadly my camera phone didn't capture all the details:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/aevisane/crusherwip2.jpg

give_me_a_d
23-03-2010, 13:37
Finally getting around to making some comments:

Chicken_Funk - Yeah get a big tank brush and give that landy a dust off, looks very good and will be better still without a layer of dust.

misterboff - the stompa is coming along very nicely, I like the inconsistency of the blue - very orky.

jpobrich - I really like your Dark Angels, the landraider in particular is very nice with the extra armour. The Orks are good too.

infelix - I think I agree with you it is a perfectly servicable paint job but it could look better with more chaos stuff on it.

zis - I've really enjoyed your daemons so far and this month is no exception. The Flamers and Herlad look to be up to your usual standard and the DP is great, the wings are excellent. I wouldn't worry about the staff too much, when the inspiration comes you will be glad you waited.

kiwichild - These guys are looking good. I wouldn't worry about the banner too much, when the inspiration comes you will be glad you waited. I like the sounds of the Communist Revoluntionary Grots, although it sounds like they might be a while coming.

Dumnorix - The orks are good, very believable skin tone. The other bits are good too, the slaaneshi archway in particular I think has come out well.

McMullet - I feel on more certain ground with your efforts this month with them being much more overtly nurgly. With conversions for BFG I would imagine it is sometimes difficult to keep to the correct scale. Not that it seems to have bothered you as these look really good.

iPaint - we really wanna see those photos!

Irondog - Super work as ever, the landraider in particular is sweet. To my mind you have gone for just the right amount of wear and tear, very nice.

Bellarus666 - I wondered how you might go about including some of the more specialised units. These put me in mind of some zerkers in I think it was one of the CSM codexes that were painted as part of a black legion army. I think you have got the balance between red/black and the usual purge scheme just about right.

Zujara - This guy is very nice. Having done a Nurgle DP last year I know its a great model but with quite a lot of detail. I like how the armour and skin contrast, something I don't think I really achieved. The Jugger is looking good too.

daemonkin - Better late than never as they say. These look good, I particularly like the lenses etc, very well done. The reaver is nice too. I've not seen one like that before.

Fredmans - The cruiser is looking good and I'm sure will look great when you get those details done to your satisfaction.

BoyMilla - some more very nice looking Eldar, I see what your doing with the different yellows and as it has been said yellow is a difficult colour so I hope it works out.

razormasticator - a nice bunch of nids and I'm sure they'll look great once finished.

Lucky - Great set of tanks, the army is really coming together.

GomezAddams - great idea to use the drummer as a vox caster. These look great, even if they are a bit late.

And a few responses:

Jonahmaul - Thank you.

Zujara - Thanks, hopefully I can get them finished soon.

Fredmans - Thank you very much. Strangely I hadn't thought about the potential for a 'super clash' but I think with the red being quite dark and the green being a sort of yellowy olive it works quite well. I'm not sure whether to continue with the white helmets, might go with darker grey.

razormasticator - thanks, I'm not so fussed by the paint jobs on the plague marines. If I do them next Tale, which is a possibility I'll redo these ones.

misterboff - Thanks, hopefully I can get them finished over the next week or so.

Lucky - Thank you.

Hope to be back soon with some WIP on the rangers and hopefully the start of Epidemius.

iPaint
23-03-2010, 19:04
Quickly edited my post for pics. I'll leave this post here for later when I have time to sit and write some comments. I'll go ahead and drop a preemptive thank you to anyone who left comments for me.

~iPaint

GomezAddams
24-03-2010, 00:31
Sorry for the late reply guys. Back to my bouncing around trick again. Anyway, onto the comments...

MISTERBOFF - The yellow and blue breaks it up nicely. Are yougoing to weather it up a bit?

JPOBIRCH - Nice looking stuff. I really like the free handed angel on the front, really nice.

INFELIX - Dont worry about loosing inspiration with him. I know the feeling, and as you've said he'll strip so keep plugging at it. The worst thing you can do is put the paint brushes down because then its a hell of a lot harder to pick them up...

ZIS - Your daemons are great as ever although isnt the base for the daemon prince too small??

BIGJON - Sorry to see you gone bud, but glad to see its for an even greater project. Keep us all updated on your progress.

KIWICHILD - Lovely characterful models as ever. The idea of using a magos as a commissar is very cool although I think this month your random models outshined your main, if only because I remember those models being released...

DUMNORIX - I like how gleeful docter krusha looks. Like the train, and love the beast of nurgle. Good work this month :)

MCMULLET - Posting early this month arent you chief :P This is by far my favorite ship of yours so far. Kind of reminds me of a cuttle fish but more evil.

IPAINT - Fantastic stuff as ever, looks to me from your army list you dont have much left to do?

IRONDOG - Excellent above par stuff as ever. I really dont know how your cranking out such high quality stuff at this rate.

GIVE ME A D - Nice start on the path finders, although Ill admit I'm not really feeling the daemon prince right now.
As for your random unit, is that an old style plague marine model on the left?

BELLARUS666 - Lovely unit, should fit well with the rest of your army.

ZUJARA - I really like the shades of green on the model. The brass has a great depth to it.

DAEMONKIN - Congrats for getting the entry in. The dreadnought looks really crisp and clea especially on the lenses (give em a blob of gloss varnish though...).
I'm not massively keen on the weapons on the titan.

FREDMAN - Glad to see you maintaining your usual fantastic high standard.

BOYMILLA - I hope the entension doesnt put a dampener on next months entry as the armys coming together nicely.

RAZORMASTICATORS - Hope things are working out for you bud :) This months entries look fantastic although Im excited to hear your about to get cracking on some of the bigger beasties (more the tyrant over the trygon though personally).

LUCKY - The marine search lights look much better on them then the guard tanks, and the chunkier meltas work much better then the standard kit. Kudos for getting all that painted this month

AND FINALLY ONTO THE REPLIES

ZUJARA - He really does look good mate, so you deserve them all :) The brass is looking very nice - looking forward to these next month.

GIVE ME A D - Ta muchly

Thanks to all who posted up the additional units this month. Its interesting to see what else everyones upto especially when everyones armies are of such high quality. Ill be cutting it fine again next month as Im currently bobbing around although I have a rather lovely chimera in the works...

Lucky
24-03-2010, 03:01
Extra Comments-

@GomezAddams: I'm going to echo what give_me_a_d said on the drummer, that is a stroke of genius!

@ipaint: Big month for you, I'm going to try and do the same for next month. I like the traffic light style army list, I think I'm going to do the same and see how it looks.

Replies-

Lucky: Nice looking vehicles, congratulations on getting 3 done in one month! Very impressive to still keep a high quality with all that painting to do.

Very kind of you to say so, I just stay inside the lines and hope for the best. If everything goes to plan I shouldn't have to do three in one month again for the tale but it's good to know that I can!

Lucky - Great set of tanks, the army is really coming together.

Thanks. I'm pleased with the army so far but I've got a fair way to go (without checking exact numbers 53 infantry and 5 vehicles, eep!)

LUCKY - The marine search lights look much better on them then the guard tanks, and the chunkier meltas work much better then the standard kit. Kudos for getting all that painted this month

Thanks for the kudos. I love the marine search lights and I find it gives my army a small unifying design feature across a wide range of tank styles.

I also meant to say in my submission post that I did start working on an extra model not for the tale but I got distracted and decided to paint a second chimera!

zis
24-03-2010, 08:44
Gomezaddams: yes the base is probebly to small but that was the base i got in the box when i bought it :(

And to the rest thx to all the nice words, see you next month whit my heavely converted nurgle soul grinder :D

GomezAddams
24-03-2010, 09:14
Thats.. very odd. If you want a 60mm feel free to shoot me a pm :)

Jonahmaul
24-03-2010, 10:38
@ Lucky - nice looking stuff, are you going to pick out the rivets at some point?

@ Gomezaddams - very nice stuff & nice vampires too, good to see something a bit different over here on TO40KP

@ Zujara - may not be a great picture because it's been taken with a camera phone but is looking very good from what I can see so far, looking forward to seeing the final job

RCgothic
24-03-2010, 13:15
I think it's time to raise my hands and admit that I've become a casualty. I'm just not getting enough done monthly.

Lucky
24-03-2010, 14:07
@ Lucky - nice looking stuff, are you going to pick out the rivets at some point?

I don't think I am goiing to do any more work with the tanks save for the transfers and drilling the barrels on the Leman Russes from previous months. On that note; what size drill bit should I use for drilling heavy bolter barrels?

I think it's time to raise my hands and admit that I've become a casualty. I'm just not getting enough done monthly.

That's a real shame, I've been enjoying your work. You say you're not getting enough done monthly but at least you're getting something done, that's more than most.

Jonahmaul
24-03-2010, 14:39
Umm, I'm not exactly sure of the sizes of drill bits but I think I used the biggest one that you get as standard with a GW drill. I would start with a smaller size first though & once you've got the hole as a guide you can line the tip of the bigger drill bit up. This should help line get the hole central (mine is slightly off centre for my scouts unfortunately).

Lucky
24-03-2010, 15:21
Foolishly I didn't even think to check the other drill bits that came with my pin vice *slaps forehead*

Traffic light style army list:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn217/LuckyDaveBrown/IGTrafficLight.jpg

Phew, that's alot of red! I'm going to push it further into the green for next month.

give_me_a_d
24-03-2010, 17:17
GIVE ME A D - Nice start on the path finders, although Ill admit I'm not really feeling the daemon prince right now.
As for your random unit, is that an old style plague marine model on the left?

It certainly is, at least based on, one of the old plastic plague marines that were around in 2nd edition/mid 1990s. He's had a new head (old mutations sprue), right arm (zerker arm, old ork bolta), left hand weapon and backpack (both current CSM plastics) and a few other little additions. I'd do a pic of an original model but I don't have any left that I haven't cut up. They were pretty awful models to be honest but they had potential so I picked up some about 10 years ago, shortly after which they went OOP.

GomezAddams
26-03-2010, 14:09
GIVE ME A D - Very nice use of the model and the parts blend well. They were pretty terrible models but back in ye olden days they were fairly class :)

LUCKY - That list isnt too bad. I mean you've got what, 3 tanks, 1 sentinel, and around 40 infantry to go with 5 months to go. Do the tanks altogether and gently cruise to the finish on an infantry squad a month :D

Anywho, enough of my jibber jabber. Forgeworld cofirmations come through today so much woot come sunday!

infelix
27-03-2010, 15:29
Thanks to everyone who has commented!
I will try to find the time to make some comments later on tonight and I just realized that I had missed the random mini thing this month so here I presents my home made Plague Bearers, made from the bodies of Kroot and heads and arms from the Crypt Ghouls.

http://files.klatu.org/Photos/DOMMTale/ToG-010.jpg

SuavelyDunn
27-03-2010, 20:04
SuavelyDunns Ork Horde

FEBRUARY 2010

The dice roll came up a 5.

Month 7: Unit of Kommandos. 7 Boyz, including two burnas and lead by a Nob with Power Klaw - 135 points

TOTAL PAINTING FOR FEBRUARY: 135 POINTS

Month 1: Unit of Trukk Boyz. 12 Ork Boyz armed with Choppa & Slugga and lead by a Nob with bosspole. He is armed with a Power Klaw & Slugga. Ride in a Trukk (Big Shoota & Red Paint Job) - 162 points

Month 2: Big Mek armed with Power Klaw (counts as), Kustom Force Field, 'eavy armour and Pet Attack Squig - 140 points

Month 3: Unit of Trukk Boyz. 12 Ork Boyz armed with Choppa & Slugga and lead by a Nob with bosspole. He is armed with a Power Klaw & Slugga. Ride in a Trukk (Big Shoota & Red Paint Job) - 162 points

Month 4: Unit of 3 Deffkoptas (armed with twin-linked Rokkit Launchas) - 135 points. Unit of 10 Grots with Runtherd (armed with Grot-prod) - 45 points

Month 5: Unit of Trukk Boyz. 12 Ork Boyz armed with Choppa & Slugga and lead by a Nob with bosspole. He is armed with a Power Klaw & Slugga. Ride in a Trukk (Big Shoota & Red Paint Job) - 162 points

Month 6: JOKER.

Month 7: Unit of Kommandos. 7 Boyz, including two burnas and lead by a Nob with Power Klaw - 135 points

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 941 POINTS

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/SuavelyDunn/DSC_3635.jpg

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Lead by The Big Mek, the warband is made up of a core of Trukk Boyz and other "invenshuns". Never one to miss an opportunity, anything that has been shot (or found...) by the Boyz is looted.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
No conversions (as yet )

PAINTING:
I use foundry paint system and armypainter dip. Go back & highlight the flesh. Nuff said.

BASING:
Back 2 Base-IX bases and the orks are drilled & pinned to them. Add a bit of static grass and matt varnish and bob is your uncle.

STILL TO DO:
On these figures, nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finishing them! That and the new Kans & Dredd models released!
Lows: Joker for last month, and too much work and not enough time. Matt Varnish spray running out and taking too long to arrive.

NEXT MONTH:
Lootas & Kans to catch back up again.

Have fun!

A.

McMullet
01-04-2010, 14:25
If it's not too late I would like to not play a joker this month for my orks and instead enter some stuff? If it is too late then I can just enter more stuff next month I suppose

Hwd

Sorry, I missed this post before. It would've been fine but it's already next month so Plan B it is... Still you get a gold star for being so polite. :D

Sorry to hear that, you can still be satisfied with what you have!

Some Comments:

Chicken_Funk: Nice scheme, I hope you'll be doing the details later?

misterboff: The Stompa looks great so far! I'm impressed by how your painting technique scales up.

jpobrich: Great painting on everything, but the Land Raider is my favourite. Great conversion for the Extra Armour and the freehand is fantastic.

infelix: Is that an old Hive Tyrant head? I like the model but I agree the paintjob is lacking something. HOw about some metal trim on the head and bone details on the carapace? I think those colours just need breaking up a bit. Great plaguebearers by the way!

zis: Love the painting on the Tzeentchian dudes, it's very smooth and contrasts really nicely with the lava bases. Nice job on the DP wings, though I can imagine they're a bit delicate.

kiwichild: Great stuff, the Cawdor models really fit with the Magus model. Good to see that old Ork too!

Dumnorix: Heh, I like the look on that Painboy's face. "Come back, I haven't finished!" Nice terrain too.

iPaint: Blimey, that's a lot of infantry! Excellent work.

Irondog: Superb painting! The camo cloaks are really well done. My only gripe is that the scouts have red hands...

Give_me_a_d: Nice job on the Pathfinders, very space-Wood-Elfy! And it's great to see that old Dread. Cool Deathguard too, the cloven hooves are a nice touch.

Bellarus666: Good stuff, you've definitely got the Khorney Berserkery look there, without sacrificing the overall theme. Look forward to the Daemon next time!

Zujara: Excellent daemon prince, really nice painting and excellent colour choice. The Bloodcrusher looks good so far, but I think the brass needs more contrast - either some heavy washing between the plates, or a silver drybrush to pick the edges out.

daemonkin: Excellent vehicles - but come on, the front of that Mk IV dread is crying for some freehand! :angel: Nice looking Tian too!

Fredmans: Good job on the cruiser, I can see where you're coming from on the painting style. It makes a lot of sense given the amount of contrast on the infantry. The base idea sounds very interesting!

BoyMilla: Fantastic work as ever! Your army looks just how an Eldar army should: bright, clean, fragile, small in number and with just a hint of menace...

razormasticator: Well done on getting them done. I think you're right on the colour for the gribbly bits; best to keep with the scheme. Look forward to the Trygon (and I hope the drama works out OK...).

Lucky: Great job on the tanks, the squad markings make them stand out.

GomezAddams: Hooray! Well done getting on, I love the drummer.

SuavelyDunn: Fantastic stuff, great scheme and painting. The light is a bit harsh in the picture, I look forward to a better look at them in an army shot sometime!

Some Replies:

Cheers, and of course you can still post here! :)

[quote=zis;4491599]Macmullet: nice to see your fleet growing, seems this have been a nurgle month for more then 1 of us. :D

Yup, the God of Decay had a good month!

McMullet: Conversion turned out well, looks very nurgley. Fleet is looking very impressive.

Cheers!

@McMullet: I think the conversion works great, and if you look at the fleet shot, it really stands out as possessed/infested. I think you might have the same problem as I experience when painting sculpting details. The tentacles come out perfectly, but the moulds/warts (?) could do with some more definition. I have no solution, but I would probably take the thinnest brush and start applying some dark shades to add contrast even if I had to paint rather than wash. Sometimes, at this scale, you paint texture (if that makes any sense). By the way, I love the theme and the names, and the fleet shot looks really great.

Thanks Fredmans, I know what you mean about "painting texture". I still have some work to do on the details of the ship so I'll give that a go. I was trying to paint rust (orange-red) to contrast with the green details, so I'll keep on with that approach and hopefully they'll stand out some more.

@ Mcmullet.. as usual your fleets look great. Keep it up, I am sure you will have everything you need done in no time!

Ta very much!

@McMullet: Your Chaos Lord must be truly blessed, because that is one nasty looking ship you've got there! I particularly like the eye.

Thanks!

@McMullet: I won’t forget you this month! Good work with the green stuff. I like the way the ship matches the fleet’s paint scheme but stands out due to the tentacles.

Cheers, that's just what I was hoping for.

McMullet - I feel on more certain ground with your efforts this month with them being much more overtly nurgly. With conversions for BFG I would imagine it is sometimes difficult to keep to the correct scale. Not that it seems to have bothered you as these look really good.

Certainly the scale is an issue, as these tentacles would actually be several hundred metres in length... Thanks!

MCMULLET - Posting early this month arent you chief :P This is by far my favorite ship of yours so far. Kind of reminds me of a cuttle fish but more evil.

Har har, earlier than you at least! Cheers mate. :p

I'll put a new thread up shortly for those who are champing at the bit...

GomezAddams
01-04-2010, 14:32
*Wonders if he might just be able to claim the first post this month...*

:D