PDA

View Full Version : Is your Space Hulk finished yet?

wilsongrahams
04-03-2010, 16:26
I'm currently half way through painting my Terminators from Space Hulk (I was delayed by painting two other terminator squads as practise first), and have finally decided on the method I want to use for the genestealers. I have yet to still paint the doors and C.A.T. and Chalice.

What I've been wondering, is what progress have other people made with their 3rd edition Space Hulks, and also comments about whether it has affected how often you play?

Samus_aran115
04-03-2010, 16:33
Haven't opened the box yet, so the last one.

wilsongrahams
04-03-2010, 16:51
Do you not intend to play it then? Are you a player of previous versions and so don't need to?

I use my 2nd ed set when playing my son in law to avoid damage to my new set (which I have 3 of for large maps and have converted loads of the terminators).

Having the Terminators halfway through painting means that I'm currently not playing much as I prefer painted miniatures, and I'm also using the 2nd ed genestealers because they're painted and the new ones (all 66 of them) aren't yet.

Destructorn
04-03-2010, 21:51
All my stealers and Termies are painted, I just need to do the dead dude in the chair (he's basecoated). However I've gone a lot further than that! I've added:

20 additional stealers (original SH models), basecoated but not painted yet
10 Chaos Terminators, basecoated and just got started painting them.
Hellfury's extended rules including Chaos Terminator rules
Hellfury's mission archive
All 'extension tiles' from all previous additions have been printed at high quality and bonded to thick card in order to be able to create all possible missions.
Just ordered the Battlefoam in order to keep the models in good nick.

I mean for this box of Space Hulk to last 20 years, minimum!

wilsongrahams
05-03-2010, 07:39
Same here Destruction, although I'm yet to print out other tiles. I have collected all old missions and what I can from computer games too for a different mission every game for a year.

AndrewGPaul
05-03-2010, 13:38
I've painted Calistarius and 2 C.A.T.s, and have applied the base red to squad Lorenzo and the dead Marine. After that, I'll need to do the door bases and some 'stealers.

Malakai
05-03-2010, 17:01
I just started painting my first 'stealer yesterday. Now I remember why I don't play Tyranids..cause I HATE painting them! Still my regular opponent did a fantastic job painting up all his terminators, objectives and c.a.t. I thought the least I could do was paint up my 'stealers first so we could play with a fully painted game.

grg3d
05-03-2010, 19:45
Terminators magnetized.. Check
Terminators Painted yet .. No
Stealers painted..Check (the old ones)
3D Space Hulk Game board Made .. Check
3D Space Hulk Game board Painted...No

I’m making progress…slow but I have a lot of projects going on..
Pictures
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/Space%20hulk/100_3116.jpg?t=1267821694
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/Space%20hulk/100_3112.jpg?t=1267821768
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/Space%20hulk/DSC00049.jpg?t=1267821836
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/grg3d/Space%20hulk/DSC00048.jpg?t=1267821890

goroul
06-03-2010, 00:48
I'll start them all one day, just as soon as I'm not so sick of painting red... ;)

Goroul

AFnord
06-03-2010, 18:29
Prioritizing my main armies at the moment, after that i'll buy a box of tactical marines and practice a bit on them.

wilsongrahams
06-03-2010, 18:44
I managed to get the same end results on my two practise squads using different methods.

Method 1: White basecoat, blood red, black ink, blood red wetbrush, crimson gore shading, blazing orange highlight.

Method 2: White basecoat, blood red, baal red ink, red gore shading, blazing orange highlight.

I have gone for the second option now I'm doing the SH ones as it's quicker and the end result looks tidier. I'll post comparison pics within a few weeks when I've finished all the Terminators.

My chosen Genestealer method is black spray, midnight blue wetbrush, regal blue drybrush, white basecoat for fleshy areas, then purple ink over white.

I will then add purple, red, blue, black and yellow inks at random over the models to get a similar result to the carnifex in last months golden demon entry pages. I've yet to try this method on stealers but I have painted a carnifex using white undercoat with dark grey armour, and then just inked all over until happy.

Patriarch
08-03-2010, 11:57
Done all the stuff in the box - took me far too long.

I wanted to recreate the final battle from Genestealer, so now I've got 2 captains, 4 librarians, and an army of hybrids to paint.

Aegius
08-03-2010, 13:05
I made a mistake with painting my models. I came up with: paint 1 terminator, then paint 2 genestealers. DAMN!!! I hate painting genestealers. So my project came to a grinding halt after only 2 terminators and 3 genestealers. I really need to get back to painting them, I may just ignore the stealers for now.

Oh, I did all of the doors first, so at least I finished something.

Destructorn
09-03-2010, 02:56
Here's my captain:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/4415806286_c829b43caf.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/znaddanz/4415806286/)

You can check out all my painted minis here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/znaddanz/sets/72157623575710580/).

Destructorn
09-03-2010, 03:10
3D Space Hulk Game board Made .. Check

Dude that 3D gameboard looks insanely sweet, how'd you do that?

Dwarf Supreme
09-03-2010, 14:53
Unpainted and will probably remain that way. I didn't paint anything from my 1st and 2nd edition sets. I have so much else to paint it's unlikely that I'll ever paint them.

grg3d
10-03-2010, 15:51
08-03-2010 23:10
Destructorn
Dude that 3D gameboard looks insanely sweet, how'd you do that?

Hirst Arts molds and 50 lb of high grade plaster,

I sell them on ebay :angel:

Destructorn
12-03-2010, 02:31
Kewl, can you do me a deal for all the molds I need?

grg3d
13-03-2010, 02:57
Sorry I sell the "set" not the molds, its forbidden to sell re made molds

Nate
14-03-2010, 20:14
I am so ashamed to say that I have only assembled these incredible models. :P I need to practice my Blood Angel Painting before I attempt this, I do not want to ruin them.

mattjgilbert
14-03-2010, 20:30
Unpainted. It's not that I never intend to paint them but I have more pressing painting concerns and Space Hulk can wait. It I don't get round to it, it doesn't matter - it will not spoil my enjoyment of the game.

Destructorn
14-03-2010, 23:07
Sorry I sell the "set" not the molds, its forbidden to sell re made molds

Oh! No, sorry, I didn't presume you sold re-made molds, I assumed you bought them from Hirst and then on-sold them on eBay, which I believe the majority of eBay sales come from onsellers.

So, have you got a link to the set?

someone2040
15-03-2010, 07:07
Sadly, I have not even cut off half the models off the sprue. Just been far too busy (I got enough off to play mission 1, and have run that a few times).
I also picked up a 2nd set of Terminators to use in my Blood Angels army... so it's actually a sad affair of that, I'll be painting them up for another reason soon, but the one's that sit with the game are probably gonna be unpainted for a long time.

Forgotmytea
22-03-2010, 16:15
Still unpainted thanks to stupid tournaments and work and the like :p I've got the White Dwarf with the masterclass in, and will be following it diligently, so hopefully when I do get around to painting them, they'll look good :)

IMy chosen Genestealer method is black spray, midnight blue wetbrush, regal blue drybrush, white basecoat for fleshy areas, then purple ink over white.
That sounds really good, could I ask for a picture please? I'm intrigued to see how it looks in the flesh, as it were :p

Destructorn
23-03-2010, 05:45
Still unpainted thanks to stupid tournaments and work and the like :p I've got the White Dwarf with the masterclass in, and will be following it diligently

I got that too, but it was waaaaaay too detailed. Seriously, I'd still be working on my first model if I followed those instructions to the letter. I downloaded these ones:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=400007a

You still get a great result but with only four steps. I recommend.

Forgotmytea
23-03-2010, 11:17
I got that too, but it was waaaaaay too detailed. Seriously, I'd still be working on my first model if I followed those instructions to the letter. I downloaded these ones:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=400007a

You still get a great result but with only four steps. I recommend.
Ooh, looks good. I might have to give that a go instead, thanks for that link :)

wilsongrahams
24-03-2010, 07:19
Still unpainted thanks to stupid tournaments and work and the like :p I've got the White Dwarf with the masterclass in, and will be following it diligently, so hopefully when I do get around to painting them, they'll look good :)

That sounds really good, could I ask for a picture please? I'm intrigued to see how it looks in the flesh, as it were :p

Sure, I'll post one later tonight if I can find new batteries for my camera... Will try and find something to place besides so you can judge the actual colours and tones rather than being down to lighting conditions...

wilsongrahams
24-03-2010, 22:36
This is my test Genestealer. I forgot to mention that there is a light drybrush of ghostly grey over the blue. The camera shows the mini looking a lot lighter than it is but you can see the general effect.

wilsongrahams
24-03-2010, 22:43
Whilst I'm posting pictures, I thought I'd show the current state of my space hulk terminators.
Next step is silver highlight on all metallics and then the eyes, scrolls and gems.

wilsongrahams
24-03-2010, 22:45
And this is Calistarius. Damn that freehand on the shoulder pad...

Destructorn
25-03-2010, 00:31
And this is Calistarius. Damn that freehand on the shoulder pad...

This is excellent.

Angelwing
25-03-2010, 00:37
Alas, painting my space hulk stuff is way down the list of projects, so its untouched since release day.

Qdeu
27-03-2010, 15:41
Partialy painted, 3 genestealers left (including the broodlord), one finished termie. Some pictures on my log:)

New Cult King
02-04-2010, 07:26
I'm considering being lazy and just nuking the base red with one of the brown washes. But they are incredible minis, so maybe I should just bite the bullet and paint them properly.

The latest BA mini releases have me wanting to make a vanilla chapter called the Angels of Sorrow in a dark blue with turquoise "tears" instead of blood drops, so I may paint up my SH Termies in this scheme. I seem to be able to paint blue better than red anyway.

Sir_Turalyon
08-04-2010, 09:03
Still being painted, I'm in middle of 6th terminator so far - quality of models means I really take my time with them. It still takes about 70% of my painting time, so my other projects suffered much more.

wilsongrahams
11-04-2010, 05:43
Glad to hear all are making progress that are wanting to. I think blasting them red all over would be a sin and would be best left until a later date if time isn't available now.

I've finished basing up my Terminators now and so will post finished pictures tonight. Got some other work to finish before I start the genestealers though. Expected finish date for Genestealers is: Christmas!!!! Groan...

Wickey the Viking
11-04-2010, 09:57
"Fully painted and finished like last september!"

Also added some of the Space Marine "casualties" from GW as objective markers, and a Techmarine to use in the missions.

Next up is a box of the new Deathcompany Blood Angels, a Venerable Dreadnought (still in the process of thinkin up some kind of rule for it) a Ravener brood and maybe a Carnifex (same issue as the Dreadnought).

So in all, the basic game is finished and almost played broken already...

Radium
11-04-2010, 10:31
Not by a long shot... I should really finish them though.

wilsongrahams
11-04-2010, 20:29
You got any pics Wickey? I'm also particularly interested in pics of terminators painted in Imperial Fists or other non-BA chapters.

Here's my finished Terminators anyway. I've included the extra pics to help show what colour they actually are as it's somewhere between the two, being red rather than purple or orange. I'm still learning as far as lighting works for taking photos of these tiny little miniatures. The highlighting and shading seems to get lost easily. Any tips? I've already stuck white paper over the flash to tone down the harshness a little.

Destructorn
12-04-2010, 01:36
I'm considering being lazy and just nuking the base red with one of the brown washes. But they are incredible minis, so maybe I should just bite the bullet and paint them properly.

Well, there's no harm in doing the first step since basing them red and washing them (I used a red wash but brown or black would work well also) is a great first step in 'properly' painting them anyway- and at least they're not fully unpainted if you never get around to highlighting them. Basing and washing is quick, it's easy, and it's a significant step towards painting them completely. I say: Do it!

wilsongrahams
21-04-2010, 12:24
I've recently undercoated some BA tanks in Halfords Red Primer, and my very first thought was that for those wishing to have a simple paint job, this is ideal as a starter being similar to mechrite red, but being a spray, a proper primer - in case you don't wash the plastics first - and is ever so slightly lighter shade so ink shading shows up better, and red drybrushing over the top would shopw up better and look less dirty.

Patriarch
21-04-2010, 17:16
My 1st batch of hybrids are done, on to the second lot.

I think we could do with a Space Hulk project log sticky as per the Epic forum, and get some inspiration going...

Destructorn
23-04-2010, 01:13
My 1st batch of hybrids are done, on to the second lot.

Where are you getting your Hybrid models from? I must admit, having a `stealer cult army with regular troops supplied by House Orlock models has long been a dream of mine...

Roguebaron
23-04-2010, 01:43
I opened the box.

I plan to paint them one day, but I'll be moving in the next year and I have a lot on the go already, so I'm holding of new projects until I move.

I have painted the hybrids from the origional series though, and I started the a set of metal terminators and promptly had my assault cannon mini stolen.

My goal has always to paint up enough chaos terminators to play with, so I plan to order the forgeworld palgue termies to go with the set. one day.

Patriarch
23-04-2010, 10:45
Where are you getting your Hybrid models from? I must admit, having a `stealer cult army with regular troops supplied by House Orlock models has long been a dream of mine...

I think we have been planning the same thing!

Half my models I've had since the 80's, the others I've been snapping up in job lots on eBay. I've got 20 of the plastics from Space Hulk but frankly, they looked ropey back in 1990 so won't get into the cult. The trick with the metal hybrids is not to use the "Genestealer" plastic arms GW started supplying them with. I had to source the old IG arms, though the new Cadian arms also work well.

I've also had the same idea to use Orlocks. I see the bald heads, googles and trenchcoats as perfect cover for genuine hybrids. Outsiders will just see this as standard cult dress, whereas the hybrids can conceal their staring eyes and mishappen bodies without it looking too unusual. So many brood brothers within the cult will dress the same way (i.e. like Orlocks).

The other benefit to the Orlocks is they can represent "non-psyker" hybrids in Space Hulk missions where they need to be distinguished from the rest.

I'm also planning to use Cadians as "inducted" PDF/paramilitary brood brothers for the WH40k version of the cult. I have a platoon of female Cadians ready to act as "Brood Mothers". No one fights for a Hybrid as much as his Mum will...

mrt181
23-04-2010, 11:38
here is another nice tutorial: http://www.bleusalifonce.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=76

AndrewGPaul
23-04-2010, 20:37
I've also had the same idea to use Orlocks. I see the bald heads, googles and trenchcoats as perfect cover for genuine hybrids.

The baldies in long coats are House Delaque. House Orlock are the bikers in leather jackets, denim and headbands.

AndrewGPaul
23-04-2010, 20:42
here is another nice tutorial: http://www.bleusalifonce.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=76

Ugh.That model was looking stunning - until he ruined the overall effect by painting the gun barrels in a chrome effect.

Patriarch
23-04-2010, 21:20
The baldies in long coats are House Delaque. House Orlock are the bikers in leather jackets, denim and headbands.

Necromunda fail!

Quite right, Delaques it is (I've never played Necromunda)...

de Selby
23-04-2010, 21:36
I've done the genestealers but not the Blood Angels. I was bit disappointed that the new codex doesn't allow you to field them in 40k as a legal squad (plus ICs). Anyway they are on the to-do list but I still want to base them properly and I don't have enough 40mm bases at the moment.

Destructorn
29-04-2010, 06:11

Oh, jeez, embarrassed!

Yeah, I once ran a Necromunda campaign that revolved around an incipient genestealer infection that essentially infested a branch of House Delaque, but no-one really noticed because they were already so cult-like. It all climaxed with the cult celebrating the birth of the first purestrain stealer, which was nearly unstoppable. I should re-write it as a Dark Heresy campaign, really.

wilsongrahams
29-04-2010, 14:50
I had always wanted to do a Genestealer Cult for Necromunda myself but never got round to it as Necromunda disappeared from my gaming group and then 40k went into it's 3rd edition and I lost my 2nd ed players that I could have used the models with.

This weekend I'm cleaning up and assembling the 50 or so Genestealers I have left from my 3 boxes of 3rd ed Hulk. This is at least a good step towards getting them painted - building them first!

I have to lament that I haven't played a game of Space Hulk since I finished painting my Terminators though. I think I need to find other Hulk players in my area.

Sir_Turalyon
29-04-2010, 16:07
I've done the genestealers but not the Blood Angels. I was bit disappointed that the new codex doesn't allow you to field them in 40k as a legal squad (plus ICs).

One more reason why Space Hulk and Deathwing are made for each other :D .

mrt181
02-05-2010, 18:01
Why are so many people obsessed with putting them on 40mm bases?

I call that heresy. Space Hulk is superior to WH40K. I will get other Terminators, e.g. Space Wolves or those Chaos Terminator from Forgeworld, and put them on bases that are Space Hulk like - just for the optical variety.

Space Hulk FTW.

Patriarch
02-05-2010, 18:21
I think it's a misreading of the WH40k rules - along the lines of "models must be mounted on the base they are supplied with". Modern boxed terminators come with 40mm round bases, the assumption is that ALL terminators have to have those bases.

Of course, the SH terminators come with moulded-on bases, so according to WH40k rules you shouldn't mount them on anything else.

Destructorn
03-05-2010, 01:42

I call that heresy. Space Hulk is superior to WH40K. I will get other Terminators, e.g. Space Wolves or those Chaos Terminator from Forgeworld, and put them on bases that are Space Hulk like - just for the optical variety.

Space Hulk FTW.

Agreed- I got Chaos Terminators solely to supplement my box of SH and I mounted them on the classic 1 inch bases. Sure, they overstep the edges a little, but that just makes them look EVEN COOLER.

Sir_Turalyon
03-05-2010, 02:24

Simple. They are too good to not use them in 40k as well as in Space Hulk.

I think it's a misreading of the WH40k rules - along the lines of "models must be mounted on the base they are supplied with". Modern boxed terminators come with 40mm round bases, the assumption is that ALL terminators have to have those bases.

Well, they are technicaly not 40k models so a bit of standardization is on order to avoid confusion and appease opponents. Same reason my Space Crusade dreadnaught has round base now ;) .

Mine are magnetized to come with or without round bases, anyway.

Patriarch
03-05-2010, 20:50
Well, they are technicaly not 40k models so a bit of standardization is on order to avoid confusion and appease opponents. Same reason my Space Crusade dreadnaught has round base now ;) .
The BRB says Citadel miniatures (not WH40k), which SH models totally are.:D

Needless to say, proper SH terminators are mounted on 30mm square bases...:angel:

wilsongrahams
06-05-2010, 16:47
This may be a nod towards my pics I posted where my models are on 40mm bases. I did this because it makes them better to display primarily, but also because at some point I will want to use them in 40k, and also because I didn't actually like the jagged bases all that much, and some models like Valencio weren't very stable. They fit perfectly well on Space Hulk without too much fuss once the mission has started too. I haven't yet had a problem even with five or so in the same room.

Oddleg
07-07-2010, 08:37
I've had to be quite strict with myself to paint the 'Stealers before the Termies. They'r all basecoated and washed. Just 22 sets of highlights to go :)

I got myself up to speed with the counters, Librarian and the Broodlord. I particuarly enjoyed painting dead dude.
Been really impressed with the quality of all of the figures.

Being a bit of a pedant I plan to black in the edges of all the tiles as well. Storage will be sorted once everything's been painted.

I've got some ideas for custom rooms using the squared warhammer movement tray bases as a base with resin scenery pieces. First things first though.

Destructorn
08-07-2010, 02:28
I got a second batch (25) of 'classic' stealers on eBay and then got a spraygun to speed up the process, which is now:

1. Spray on undercoat.
2. Spray entire model blue.
3. Paint the flesh watered-down hormagaunt purple and the claws bleached bone.
4. Spray on babdab black wash.
5. Highlight the blues, purples and whites.

The first 4 steps went by very quickly, the last step will be the longest.

The final result will not be as good as my handpainted ones but it's much faster and will yield a decent result I think.

AndrewGPaul
09-07-2010, 08:25
I've got some ideas for custom rooms using the squared warhammer movement tray bases as a base with resin scenery pieces. First things first though.

The squares on the Space Hulk boards are 30mm across, so the movement tray squares will be too small. Other than the miniatures overlapping, this won't affect gameplay, but it will make them difficult to line up with the official board sections.

Oddleg
12-07-2010, 12:56
Originally Posted by Oddleg
The squares on the Space Hulk boards are 30mm across, so the movement tray squares will be too small. Other than the miniatures overlapping, this won't affect gameplay, but it will make them difficult to line up with the official board sections.

That's a very good point and one that I hadn't taken into consideration. Had been looking for a quick result to be honest.

Seeing Nedius' blog http://www.freewebs.com/nedius/apps/blog/about his stunning 3D boards has been particuarly inspring.

Not that I was planning on anything so grand but I do want any extras to "fit" with the standard card tiles. Maybe a hardwood base with layers of pre-detailed plasticard with the top tiles the same size as those of the card ones. I'll dig them out an look quizically at them tonight.

Meanwhile, I varnished the last of the Genestealers last night so they're all done!

avien
18-07-2010, 18:13
Been promising myself that space hulk would be my next project - but other stuff keeps distracting me...

I need to get my buying impulse under control...:rolleyes:

wilsongrahams
18-07-2010, 21:43
I've had a new incentive myself to get my Space Hulk actually finished. So far it's just all the Marines that are finished and some sample 40k stealers. I have a holiday booked in October and I plan on taking my Space Hulk with me for evening games with my brother and to get our wives involved too (They seem semi-interested, and any competitive game is great in teams). This gives me 3 months to get my 'Stealers finished.
Sound like a good incentive? Sound even possible?
That would also make it about a year to get it finished from purchase which isn't so bad compared to many of my other armies - my HE Dragon from 2 Christmases ago is still sitting just in undercoat, and Blood Angels still in boxes from April...

Plagueridden
20-07-2010, 06:15
still want to make a battle scene with the models from the box.
after that I think I am going to make some marines from IG, and convert old stealers into aliens.
one day...;)

Oddleg
21-07-2010, 10:22
Just in case people might fancy a look, here are some photos of my Stealers:
http://oddlegsenterprises.blogspot.com/2010/07/tooth-and-claw.html (Stealers).

I did have a bit of an issue with the Purity Seal sending them rather cloudy but a coat of brushed on matt varnish has come to the rescue :)

Erwos
22-07-2010, 13:43
The 'stealers are done. The terminators are almost done - there's some detail work I'd like to finish up (teardrops, dead 'stealer bits), but they're pretty sexy as is. Devlan mud is the greatest wash ever on these guys.

The CAT, grail, and dead terminator still need to be worked on. The CAT and grail should be quick, but I imagine the dead terminator will be something of a project.

carlospictor
17-10-2010, 18:42
I am gutted beyond words.

I've spent the last two weeks painting the Terminators, having established a good method using basecoats, highlights and Army Painter brushed on.

With seven completed Terminators, I decided to varnish what I had, using Army Painter matt varnish. The aim was to take photo's for this very thread.

The result? Crackled and cloudy white models beyond salvation. They are now currently soaking in Dettol for a complete repaint, provided they come up clean.

I feel sick thinking that one coat of dodgy varnish has not only ruined two weeks work, but potentially some models which are now irreplacable.

Sad face. :(

Destructorn
17-10-2010, 23:13
I feel your pain, brother. Good tip for us all to avoid!

AndrewGPaul
18-10-2010, 21:15
some models which are now irreplacable.

Sad face. :(

Well, not quite:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=space+hulk&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Maybe not cheap, but not irreplaceable. Anyway, assuming the varnish doesn't actually eat into the plastic (something I find highly unlikely), they should strip down fine.

I've just finished the genestealers. Just got Squad Gideon and Brother Claudio to do, now. And all the door bases.

loveless
18-10-2010, 22:00
Is it bad that I completely forgot I owned Space Hulk until I noticed the assault cannon terminator hiding on my "to repair" shelf? (bit of a drill incident with one barrel, nothing catastrophic)

It's still unpainted - back to waiting on time. The Terminators will be repurposed slightly to pull double-duty in a Blood Angel 40K army.

Nuggan
18-10-2010, 22:40
Not finished, got half the Stealers painted and the Lord, also the extra bits plus Meph but I need to redo the Marines, I didn't like how they turned out, the red didn't come out how I wanted it so i'm stripping them down and doing them again.

wilsongrahams
09-11-2010, 09:34
I've recently decided that I would LIKE to try another couple of colours on shading my terminators, and possibly a highlight.

The issue I have is that I have already varnished them in Purity Seal from GW - anyone else ever used an ink or painted over this? The coat of spray seems pretty thin so I don't think the layers will be an issue, just how well paint goes over it for smoothness and blending.

As for Hulk, I'll be starting Stealers soon - long behind schedule. I've just finished painting 3 C.A.T.s and 2 Grails for the objectives.

For the door bases I think I'll spray them Halfords gunmetal and slap some badab black ink over them with some stains in Sepia or Mud and then varnish. Nice and simple. Your thoughts?

Nkari
09-11-2010, 12:02
I've recently decided that I would LIKE to try another couple of colours on shading my terminators, and possibly a highlight.

The issue I have is that I have already varnished them in Purity Seal from GW - anyone else ever used an ink or painted over this? The coat of spray seems pretty thin so I don't think the layers will be an issue, just how well paint goes over it for smoothness and blending.

As for Hulk, I'll be starting Stealers soon - long behind schedule. I've just finished painting 3 C.A.T.s and 2 Grails for the objectives.

For the door bases I think I'll spray them Halfords gunmetal and slap some badab black ink over them with some stains in Sepia or Mud and then varnish. Nice and simple. Your thoughts?

I dont use their spray varnish, I apply everything with brush.. and when varnished the new inks behave entirely diffrent, but the other coloUrs behave just as would be expected..

wilsongrahams
10-11-2010, 07:49
I dont use their spray varnish, I apply everything with brush.. and when varnished the new inks behave entirely diffrent, but the other coloUrs behave just as would be expected..

Thanks. I kinda expected that, but could do with knowing the effect. If it's much the same as over spray undercoat due to texture rather than surface then I should be okay getting an even coat (rather than shading etc). Is this what you expect would happen?

As stated before - these models aren't impossible to replace, but for me it's the time I already spent painting them I don't want to do again!