PDA

View Full Version : After Blood Angels

Deus Mechanicus
09-03-2010, 09:45
Now that Blood Angels are up on pre-order and soon to be released about when would the next 40k codex release be revelead?

VonManstein
09-03-2010, 09:48
After about ~2 weeks of the BA codex release, the first Necrons rumours start to come in. At least thats what I think.

Ganymene
09-03-2010, 09:53
It is probably not Necrons, they need a lot more work than the other armies. The two most common guesses seem to be Black Templars and Dark Eldar.

I think Dark Eldar are most likely, but I could see Tau sneaking in there somewhere.

Jupiter Terminalis
09-03-2010, 09:57
I doubt we will see Dark Eldar this year (although that would be cool, and apparently they've already redesigned the whole range, I think the DE are cursed), and Necrons are still mid-design last I heard. I'm hoping for something Inquisitorial.

TimLeeson
09-03-2010, 10:30
Black templars and Tau would be my assumption/guess. What id LIKE is necrons and/or Dark eldar though...

Cpt_Baughan
09-03-2010, 10:42
I know G/W head quarters kind of resembles a fortress but even that wouldn't protect them from the volcanic eruption of nerd rage if it isn’t a Xenos codex.

My money is on Necrons

Petay1985
09-03-2010, 10:43
I think it'd be a bit much if they released Black Templars straght after Blood Angels, although i agree they wouldn't need much work, it just doesn't seem right having so many Astartes based releases, let alone Imperial ones!

Necrons would be my bet!

deadly claris
09-03-2010, 10:54
I dont think is Black templars
BT are quite good as they are ,ther are armys how nead a remake much much more

I think its , Dark eldar OR sisters of battle/grey Knigts (i hope for the SOB)
ther codex and troop boxes are gone from the GW homepage think about it
you CANT star a WH / DH army now , you CAN start a BT/Necron army

Grimmeth
09-03-2010, 11:01
Tau and BT wouldn't need a lot of work - the model ranges are pretty much already there, a new plastic kit (maybe) and some fancy characters and you're pretty much done with those - quick and easy.
Dark Eldar are a huge resource drain, from a financial perspective I presume GW will be looking for a few 'quick wins' before committing to a complete new army range.
Remember 2010 is supposed to be the yeah of Fantasy - so we may well only see one more 40k release this year.

Please note, this is all theory and conjecture - there's no evidence to back any of this up.

e2055261
09-03-2010, 11:03
IT HAD BETTER BE XENOS! If not I'm coming to England to ram raid Warhammer World in a Dark Eldar Raider!!

Whitehorn
09-03-2010, 11:10
Strong hints of the new Daemon Hunters :)

But hey, wishlist, lets go with.. Codex: Jokaero

Karhedron
09-03-2010, 11:15
Dark Eldar are a huge resource drain, from a financial perspective I presume GW will be looking for a few 'quick wins' before committing to a complete new army range.
Blood Angels and Space Wolves have both been "quick wins" to some extent. A few plastic upgrade sprues to spice up the regular Marine plastics and a couple of new characters. Neither have been big releases, especially since the most unusual units from both (Thunderwolves and the Stormraven) are not actually being released as models (at least not in the first wave).

deadly claris
09-03-2010, 11:18
Tau and BT wouldn't need a lot of work - the model ranges are pretty much already there, a new plastic kit (maybe) and some fancy characters and you're pretty much done with those - quick and easy.
Remember 2010 is supposed to be the yeah of Fantasy - so we may well only see one more 40k release this year.

Please note, this is all theory and conjecture - there's no evidence to back any of this up.

Therefore, so I do not think GW makes all the easy Army's first
they may need them later to make money on then, and I dont think they will just reales Xeno Army for a year or so if BT and DA would have a new codex is what would be next year only non-Imperial Army?

then I think people think that much of a "fantasy year" 2010 is not a fantasy year and not a 40K year there is no such thing as a year for the
"Fantasy" just means that the new ED rulebok not because ther will be a lot of fantasy releses and few 40K releses

We know next month is Orks ang goblins so its 2-40K 2 fantasy armys

(excuse the bad spelling I´m Swedish)

its.willo
09-03-2010, 11:22
I'm going to guess something xenos, like most of the people here.

However, on the sidelines, I'm rooting for Bretonnia for the hell of it ^^

TimLeeson
09-03-2010, 11:25

But hey, wishlist, lets go with.. Codex: Jokaero

well hey, if we'ere going in for the wishlisting :

Codex Chaos Aliens (Saruthi, Loxatl ect)
Codex Enslavers
Codex Hrud & Umbra
Codex Iron Hands
Codex Mechanicum
Codex <insert Old Ones race here that look scarily like Vorlons from b5>

thats not much to ask for now is it ;)

In seriousness I forgot about Grey Knights, they might be likely too - and there was that artwork commission we've seen from them as well (possible codex cover?).

genestealer_baldric
09-03-2010, 11:35
new nid codex :evilgrin:

but i thinking it may be tau, or crons for a surposedly xeno heavy year and we have had 1 marines codex almost reliased and 1 sort of xeno codex.

wasnt the rumour that DE would be the 1st of the new edition of the rule book i find that a bit hard to belive because that would delay the DE about another 3 years

archie-d
09-03-2010, 11:43
im going for DE late in the year as the next dex. summer will be primarily fantasy focused.

IMO anyhow.

Sorros
09-03-2010, 12:00
Codex Space Marines, clearly in November or December.

On a serious note, either Dark Eldar or Black Templar. I'm divided between the two...DE are..well...DE, and never get anything, while Black Templar are Marines...would GW really release 3 marine codeci in one year, with two consecutively? My fear is that they might...

Ironhand
09-03-2010, 12:04
My understanding was that GW is pushing to get all the Codexes updated before 2012, when a new edition of 40K would be due. Hence the reason why we're getting potentially 4 Codexes in a "fantasy year".

I'm hoping to see DE at the end of this year, although early 2011 is equally possible.

If we do see a fourth Codex this year, I think it will most likely be Black Templars, with an outside chance of Gray Knights.

Souleater
09-03-2010, 12:11
Black templars and Tau would be my assumption/guess. What id LIKE is necrons and/or Dark eldar though...

/thread.

10char

LonelyPath
09-03-2010, 12:16
I'm imaging it'd either be Necrons, SoB or GK.

Jupiter Terminalis
09-03-2010, 12:22

Oh please, please let this be true. That would make my entire year. Boo Blood Angels, you and your WFB codex. You're old news already. Bring on the Inquisition.

Souleater
09-03-2010, 12:35
If we are going to have another SM dex can it be Grey Knights? Mind you given that they are meant to be better than Space Wolves, Blood Angels, BT...I just wonder how tough they are going to be? Grey Knights: AKA the Black and White Movie Marines....:D

I'd really love to see Dark Eldar the most but if not them then Necron (who need a fix) or Sisters (who work okay IMHO apart from the weird stuff) who deserve a model update.

Lord Damocles
09-03-2010, 12:38
Do we* really have to do this** around every single 40K release?

*40K General
**Random unsuported speculation about what will be released next

Souleater
09-03-2010, 12:39
I don't think it is obligatory ...it's just fun.

Max_Killfactor
09-03-2010, 12:44
Do we* really have to do this** around every single 40K release?

Pretty much.

Until GW tells us what they have coming out, people will always speculate.

I wish GW told us.

If Dark Eldar are not next, I would probably start Nids. No one seems to know, so I'm going to do the same thing I've been doing for the past few years: wait.

If I knew DE were not coming out until late 2010 or early 2011, I would probably have 2 more armies by now. Oh well, GW and their secrets... :shifty:

Noserenda
09-03-2010, 13:06
Hoping for BT or GK, the tears of nerd rage are delicious every time a marine codex gets released :evilgrin:

the1stpip
09-03-2010, 14:08
Well, a friend apparently saw the sisters plastic sprue the other weekend on a 'personal' tour of the studio, although I believe they have been ready for a while.

I reckon it will be Inq next, followed by Dark Eldar after summer.

jspyd3rx
09-03-2010, 14:20
There is alot of sightings of both Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle. I also remember talk of a codex that many other armies can use. This makes me think that one of these two is next. Adding in the lander to an allied codex that many other armies could use would be a big win. Imagine IG, Salamanders, Black Templars and Dark Angeles being able to grab minis, a codex and lander to their exsisting army. Then comes Dark Eldar for Xmas hopefully. With many other redone armies in the coming 40k year after the fanatasy year.

Mike3791
09-03-2010, 14:55
I think the models and codex books for both armies are well on the way now.
I wouldn't be surprised to see both these armies released in the next 12 months.

This is refering to DE and Necrons from another thread

paspinall
09-03-2010, 15:06
except GW when they removed the DH and WH stuff from stores actually said they were moving the entire range to mail order only, would provide a free codex and there would be no new releases for the inquisition for some time.

tazguy95
09-03-2010, 16:30
This is what I'd do if these codex's were to be next:

Inquisition- Be moderately happy and wait expectantly for a xenos book. ;)
Necrons- Be the happiest person ever! :D
Dark eldar- Be happy for all the dark eldar players out there that needed this. :)
Black templars- Kill everyone in my way as I leave to kill the designers for yet another marine release. :mad:
Tau- Be sad, as they don't need a codex as much as others such as Necrons and Dark eldar. :(

MadCowCrazy
09-03-2010, 16:45
I think it will be SoB, GK or Inquisition in some form.
Rumours speak of a late summer-autumn release for GK or some form of Inquisitional codex, if its true or not who knows.

What we do know is that a few SoB boxes have been taken off and one GK unit. If this is a hint I would say yes, but a hint at what who knows.

Industrial Propaganda
09-03-2010, 16:47
The next codex will either be Daemonhunters, Tau or Black Templars.

Asher
09-03-2010, 17:04
There was some obscure information about an upcomig chaos release; comming from a mail send to a GW employ.

It was deleted from the rumor thread, being very sensitive content.

No idea if it was geniune or fake; but maybe we shouldn't write of some form of CSM either.

genestealer_baldric
09-03-2010, 17:37
where is alll this black templar love comming from? i hadnt even realised that they were that bad

Asher
09-03-2010, 17:40
I know that quite a lot to ask; but could someone sum up what we know about DH?

Quite some people said, that there were many strong hints and I somehow managed to oversee all of them.

Znail
09-03-2010, 17:55
Dark Eldar is a bit of a risky army to release so we can expect GW to only release them if they have no other ready at the time. Both Necron and Tau share similar history of being new races, but both was alot more popular from the start. Even the Inqusition books are more of a safe bet. I still expect DE to be release eventualy, it just that they may be pushed back all the way to the end of this edition even.

massey
09-03-2010, 17:56
Here's a rundown of the rumors as I understand them. From most reliable to least.

Dark Eldar: Harry says they'll probably be here within a year
Necrons: Harry says they'll probably be here within a year

(I count these as the most reliable rumors, because Harry is Harry)

Black Templars: Indirect hints point to them. Harry at one point mentioned that a new marine force would be coming in. Later he says they aren't Dark Angels. That really leaves BT. There's been no direct confirmation (unlike DE and Necrons above), but through process of elimination, this is likely.

Chaos: There's supposedly an e-mail from a Chinese guy to a GW guy regarding the printing of army books. Apparently GW books are printed in China. It mentions the Chaos Codex as being produced soon. This thread was deleted from the rumors forum and I'm not sure if there was any resolution on it. The e-mail might be totally fake. We don't know. But those rumors appear to be more solid than:

Inquisition: Nobody knows. There's been a lot of talk, very little confirmation. They are getting redone, possibly as Sisters of Battle and Grey Knight books. Again, very little confirmation.

Eldar/Tau: No hints at all.

Dark Angels/Orks/Demons: Apparently wait until 6th edition.

PxDn Ninja
09-03-2010, 18:10
I hope greatly that it is Necrons, but seeing as BA and Necrons are my armies, that will destroy my bank account...

Znail
09-03-2010, 18:10
Odd if BT is redone but not DA. They are basicly the same age and rather similar too. It would make sense to redo SW, BA, BT and DA at the same time as they obviously share alot of units and similar considerations needs to be made during the design. I actualy expect BT and DA to either both be done or both wait for next edition. Possibly comming at the end of this edition right before the next one.

Asher
09-03-2010, 18:30
Here's a rundown of the rumors as I understand them. From most reliable to least.

Dark Eldar: Harry says they'll probably be here within a year
Necrons: Harry says they'll probably be here within a year

(I count these as the most reliable rumors, because Harry is Harry)

Black Templars: Indirect hints point to them. Harry at one point mentioned that a new marine force would be coming in. Later he says they aren't Dark Angels. That really leaves BT. There's been no direct confirmation (unlike DE and Necrons above), but through process of elimination, this is likely.

Chaos: There's supposedly an e-mail from a Chinese guy to a GW guy regarding the printing of army books. Apparently GW books are printed in China. It mentions the Chaos Codex as being produced soon. This thread was deleted from the rumors forum and I'm not sure if there was any resolution on it. The e-mail might be totally fake. We don't know. But those rumors appear to be more solid than:

Inquisition: Nobody knows. There's been a lot of talk, very little confirmation. They are getting redone, possibly as Sisters of Battle and Grey Knight books. Again, very little confirmation.

Eldar/Tau: No hints at all.

Dark Angels/Orks/Demons: Apparently wait until 6th edition.

Thanks a lot massey; much appreciated!

I look around a bit, and seen someone mentoning that the user 'stickmonkey' has seen plastic GK.
Iirc stickmonkey did a great job on Tyranid rumors, so I'm inclined to belive his information.

jspyd3rx
09-03-2010, 19:10
Stickmonkey also saw a necron walker or large monstrous creature. So who knows. At least we know for sure that multiple armies are always being worked on, just at different stages. From sightings of reliable warseer rumour guys; SOB, GK, DE and Necrons are being worked on for sure. So out of these armies; we may see 2x by years end. Almost forgot, stickmonkey also mentioned seeing a new crisis suit. So just add that to the mix. These guys have yet to mention or hint at any other army being worked on at all. The Tau range in my opinion rocks except for a few metals and the codex. They could be updated very easily, so they could be a surprise release.

Krovin-Rezh
09-03-2010, 19:13
GW would be hurting themselves if they released another Space Marine variant after Blood Angels. There just wouldn't be the demand for it, since people will be happily playing & amassing their BA armies.

Dark Eldar are the most likely, based on the rumors we've been hearing. I'm always skeptical of DE rumors though, but it makes sense that DE would be released before Necrons considering what we've heard from Jes (he's been sculpting the new DE models for a while now).

And DE are not any more risky a release than the Orks were. The Ork codex refreshed the game by making a fringe army something to worry about, and a new DE codex would hopefully do the same.

Gray Hunter
09-03-2010, 19:22
GW would be hurting themselves if they released another Space Marine variant after Blood Angels. There just wouldn't be the demand for it, since people will be happily playing & amassing their BA armies.

Dark Eldar are the most likely, based on the rumors we've been hearing. I'm always skeptical of DE rumors though, but it makes sense that DE would be released before Necrons considering what we've heard from Jes (he's been sculpting the new DE models for a while now).

And DE are not any more risky a release than the Orks were. The Ork codex refreshed the game by making a fringe army something to worry about, and a new DE codex would hopefully do the same.

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Dark Eldar. I'm guessing, but I think they've been good to go for a while now, but with the economic crunch GW has been focused on guaranteed wins that have minimal outlay (IG, SW, Nids and BA are all very popular armies that needed little in the way of new kits). Space Hulk was also a calculated risk, and it turned out to be a good one.

The upshot of all this is that GW has had a nice cash injection over the last couple of years, actually turning a profit on a luxury product in the worst economy in history. They are well placed to release a slightly riskier army now which moves the game forward and generates excitement for the hobby (bringing in new players who perhaps have a little more spare money as the economy begins to turn around). Dark Eldar fit the bill.

I'd then expect the Black Templars in the November slot (based on the fleet-based marines hint), with Necrons filling the same slot in 2011 as Tyranids did this year. I don't know anything you guys don't, but this is my guess.

VenomBlood
09-03-2010, 19:23
Very strange, but employee of my local indep store assured me that Tau will get new Codex in the near future, but also about the Templar still be best to forget.

He was very proud of these rumors:evilgrin:

Znail
09-03-2010, 19:28
How would it hurt with another marine army? Its not like its more likely that a BA player will also play another marine army instead of a Xeno race as his second, third or whatever army.

GK got a bump up in likelyhood for me. The BA Stormraven fluff mentions that GKs are also known to use it. So it would make sense for the model to be released with the GK codex. It would also be silly to wait too long with this new model so I find it likely that we will see GKs sometime this year.

jspyd3rx
09-03-2010, 19:37
Sounds right. GK next; so we can get lander and DE by Xmas. Good year for sure. Also, I think that whole fleet based army was Flesh Tearers. It is the other half of the BA story and I believe Harry confirmed it as well. Besides, they need to hold some marine armies to space out releases between xenos. They seem to alternate from xenos to marines.

The Custodian
09-03-2010, 19:42
Lets just say a little birdie told me its tau next followed by templars... <.< >.>

What?

deadly claris
09-03-2010, 20:19
Lets just say a little birdie told me its tau next followed by templars... <.< >.>

What?

Really don´t se that too be true

I dont get why so meny of you guys think its Templars
Really hard to think GW do 3 marines almost in a row

My money is on Dark eldar/Inquisition / Necrons

GW have done the easy part armys now its a hard one then a easy fix again
it seems most logical to do

Znail
09-03-2010, 20:40

Its just a vocal minority on forums that gets upset when there is more then one marine codex in a row.

SPYDER68
09-03-2010, 20:46
where is alll this black templar love comming from? i hadnt even realised that they were that bad

lol@Templar Zeal.

army forced to take 2x characters ? ow.

Emp champ required.

marshal required if you dont want to run away.

Nothing like playing a templar player and doing 1 death per squad and them having to test on LD 8 or run away.

primarch16
09-03-2010, 22:19
Yeah Templars are pretty messed at the moment.

But its going to be Dark Eldar.

Tactical Retreat!
09-03-2010, 22:26
Hoping for Dark Eldar.... failing that it would be a good time to release

SPACE SHARKS

sabreu
09-03-2010, 22:27
Nothing like playing a templar player and doing 1 death per squad and them having to test on LD 8 or run away.

Oh noes! It's not like they don't have ATSKNF or anything! :p

On a more adult level, I believe Necrons are a strong contender, possibly Inquisition. If Inquisition splits into Greyknight and SoB codex respectively, then i'm inclined to say SoB will be it. Grey Knights alone would just be another Marine dex and won't make much sense being released right after Blood Angels.

Motley
09-03-2010, 22:28
I really think is black templars.......but grey knights could come as a surprise...the codex is not available anymore on their webside....

Melchiah
09-03-2010, 22:32
My understanding was that GW is pushing to get all the Codexes updated before 2012, when a new edition of 40K would be due.
Its only cuz the world is going to end and they want all of our moneys so they can spent it on hookers and blow.

Tactical Retreat!
09-03-2010, 22:39
Its only cuz the world is going to end and they want all of our moneys so they can spent it on hookers and blow.

Sounds like something GW would do. I blame Gav Thorpe.

The Custodian
09-03-2010, 23:29
Really don´t se that too be true

I dont get why so meny of you guys think its Templars

My money is on Dark eldar/Inquisition / Necrons

GW have done the easy part armys now its a hard one then a easy fix again
it seems most logical to do

Well just see then wont we? ;)
And GW already did 3 marines 'in a row' (if every other release is marines means in a row...)
Care to make a bet that its going to be tau next? :p

Promethius
09-03-2010, 23:56
I think (and hope) it'll be grey knights. The stormraven kit can be released, along with plastic sts, we hae confirmed sightings of new gk models, and if the gk/sob are being split then it makes sense to hae one now and one in a year's time or so.

Another outside chance I see is no codex until DE around gamesday, and an apocalypse type splash release with models for many factions. That eldar superheavy, for one.

Purge the Heretic
10-03-2010, 01:23
My templars never leave home without sister allies...with books of saint lucius.

Max_Killfactor
10-03-2010, 12:28
Hoping for Dark Eldar.... failing that it would be a good time to release

SPACE SHARKS

Jawesome! I'd buy it.

Anyway, after days of meditation, starving, and self abuse... I had a vision:

Blood Angels
Grey Knights (maybe around July or August)
Dark Eldar (September or October)

I passed out after having my vision and woke up on top of my house.

True story.

Brother Nidus
10-03-2010, 13:04
Can i throw a spanner in the works?

My guess... Squats...

Hehehe...

*runs and hides from the obligatory firestorm*

Nidus

Cheeslord
10-03-2010, 13:29
Can i throw a spanner in the works?

My guess... Squats...

Hehehe...

*runs and hides from the obligatory firestorm*

Nidus

However, due to widespread criticism over the choice of the name, Games Workshop decided to rename them the Grublins.

mark.

htj
10-03-2010, 14:00
However, due to widespread criticism over the choice of the name, Games Workshop decided to rename them the Grublins.

mark.

Still, at least it's better than calling them the Squits.

Ivellis
10-03-2010, 15:06
Tau next huh? I hope if that's true they'll be fixed enough for me to pick them up again. I wish it had been DE though.

senorcardgage
10-03-2010, 15:42
I'd like it to be DE and 'Crons, but wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't so. I don't think BT need a codex in the least and the same goes for Tau.

Inquisition would be "cool" but I think a DE or 'Cron release would be more impactful.

Wolfblade670
10-03-2010, 15:49
Codex: Black and White Space Marines...

...with a certain special character that allows bikes to be taken as troops.

:evilgrin:

Keldaur
10-03-2010, 15:50
I am not trying to offend anybody, but since when does GW release codex because they are unupdated ? So yeah, DE, then Crons and later Inquisition should be the ones to be released if we think they would release codex only because they need to be updated. But my bet would be Tau / Black templar as they are better for sales and they don't need a huge work or invest to release a new codex for them.

Tiller5
10-03-2010, 15:56
Promethius has a good point - some Apocalypse style units have been spotted already (the Eldar super heavy skimmer, possibly this Necron creature), so this could fit with GW's current 'annual Apocalypse release' idea, possibly around or just before Games Day UK, then maybe Dark Eldar in January.

Time will tell, of course!

BladeWalker
10-03-2010, 16:09
I'm hoping for Daemonhunters next just so there is a chance of seeing additional Daemon plastics... seems releasing them as adversaries would make sense.

Translation: I don't care what is next just give me the Daemon plastics that we know are out there already!!

AmasNagol
10-03-2010, 16:16
Try buying the Codex Daemonhunters........

That might give you an impression of what you might see by the end of this year.

Megad00mer
10-03-2010, 16:21
What I hope it’s not:

Black Templars: Enough with the Marines already. We know they’re GW’s cash cow but honestly, don’t these guys need ENEMIES to fight?

Inquisition: Almost as bad as marines imo. Do we really need yet another Imperial Army right now? Since 5th Ed released theirs been only ONE non Imperial Army released. One. Yes, Orks and Demons were released with 5th in mind, but I’m talking since 5th Ed.

What I’d love to see:

Dark Eldar: It’s about damn time! The army that’s gone the longest without any significant rule or model update. It’s been 12 years!! There are dedicated Dark Eldar players who’ve stood by their pamphlet codex and horridly outdated models for over a decade. It’s time to reward them for their patience.

Necrons: Ironically they’re in a worse state ruleswise than the venerable Dark Eldar right now. They have almost no variety, no flare and due to the outdated and frankly stupid “Phase Out” rule, the ‘crons are probably the hardest army to do well with in 40k at the moment. Also in my opinion a mind numbingly boring army to play as well.

Tau: Their 4th Ed update was merely a quick touch up job. Another difficult army to do well with. They’re still paying 4th Ed prices for their lackluster wargear and they have a very tough time with outflankers. They’re supposed to be the “Shootiest” army in the game at the expense of little to no Close Combat ability but other armies like Eldar and IG are far better at what the Tau are supposed to be best at, and still have some effective counter charge units as well.

Chaos Space Marines: The 4th Ed codex, while solid in terms of balance, ripped the heart and soul out of the army, namely the Traitor Legions. GW stupidly changed the focus of the book to “renegades” thinking it would be good if players had the freedom to create their own renegade chapters. What GW failed to realize is that almost NO Chaos Space marine player cared about this. They wanted to play a Traitor Legion. They wanted their 10,000 year old maniacs and to represent them faithfully on the table top. Looking at the cool, fluffy and fun things they’ve done with the Space Marines, Space Wolves and Blood Angels, I’d love to see GW give Chaos the full 5th Ed treatment. Restore the Traitor Legions to their rightful focus of the book and give Chaos back some of the flare it once had.

tazguy95
10-03-2010, 16:55
What I hope it’s not:

Black Templars: Enough with the Marines already. We know they’re GW’s cash cow but honestly, don’t these guys need ENEMIES to fight?

Inquisition: Almost as bad as marines imo. Do we really need yet another Imperial Army right now? Since 5th Ed released theirs been only ONE non Imperial Army released. One. Yes, Orks and Demons were released with 5th in mind, but I’m talking since 5th Ed.

What I’d love to see:

Dark Eldar: It’s about damn time! The army that’s gone the longest without any significant rule or model update. It’s been 12 years!! There are dedicated Dark Eldar players who’ve stood by their pamphlet codex and horridly outdated models for over a decade. It’s time to reward them for their patience.

Necrons: Ironically they’re in a worse state ruleswise than the venerable Dark Eldar right now. They have almost no variety, no flare and due to the outdated and frankly stupid “Phase Out” rule, the ‘crons are probably the hardest army to do well with in 40k at the moment. Also in my opinion a mind numbingly boring army to play as well.

Tau: Their 4th Ed update was merely a quick touch up job. Another difficult army to do well with. They’re still paying 4th Ed prices for their lackluster wargear and they have a very tough time with outflankers. They’re supposed to be the “Shootiest” army in the game at the expense of little to no Close Combat ability but other armies like Eldar and IG are far better at what the Tau are supposed to be best at, and still have some effective counter charge units as well.

Chaos Space Marines: The 4th Ed codex, while solid in terms of balance, ripped the heart and soul out of the army, namely the Traitor Legions. GW stupidly changed the focus of the book to “renegades” thinking it would be good if players had the freedom to create their own renegade chapters. What GW failed to realize is that almost NO Chaos Space marine player cared about this. They wanted to play a Traitor Legion. They wanted their 10,000 year old maniacs and to represent them faithfully on the table top. Looking at the cool, fluffy and fun things they’ve done with the Space Marines, Space Wolves and Blood Angels, I’d love to see GW give Chaos the full 5th Ed treatment. Restore the Traitor Legions to their rightful focus of the book and give Chaos back some of the flare it once had.

Agreed. However, Chaos space marines, although they have had their heart ripped out, i'm really guessing they won't get an update till 6th. Also a very valid point on phase out; Damn you phase out...:mad:

SoggyRizla
10-03-2010, 17:51
I think it's more likely that we will get a wave release such as apoc or daemons models than another codex considering may has o&g reinforcments and lotr 'battlehosts' and the fantasy release is rumored to be during the summer. That and it's supposed to be a 'fantasy year'.

Brother Nidus
10-03-2010, 17:58
Black Templars? i don't even know why they got their first Codex let alone getting a new one.

Marines have had it so good recently. pretty much every release this year has had a marine model dragging behind it. blood angels, ven dread, lotd. and last year, space pups, land speeder storm, vulkan he'stan, kor'sarro Khan, Space Hulk, (did i miss any?) all since the last codex.

NO MORE MARINES! please.

Dark Eldar SHOULD be released next, along with a hand written apology (signed in blood) to everyone who has bought a DE model in the last 10 years. then maybe Necrons.

'nuff said.

Nidus

massey
10-03-2010, 19:17
Black Templars got a codex because they had that release in Codex: Eye of Terror, got a special model or two, and sold like hotcakes. GW then decided to upgrade them to the status of the Big Four, and gave them their own book (which also sold very well). Their upgrade sprue continues to sell very well, despite the fact that their codex was released in 2004, one of the very first 4th edition armies.

Tymell
10-03-2010, 19:21
The most likely contenders seem to be Dark Eldar, Black Templars, and maybe Tau. Necrons could do with it, but rumours point to them being further away than the Dark Eldar.

Granted, those are themselves only estimated towards the end of the year, but bear in mind this wouldn't be the first time there's a big gap between codexes, they don't strictly get updates every so many months. And there could always just be waves in between, especially since summer will be Fantasy dominated with the new edition.

Asher
10-03-2010, 19:57
Black Templars got a codex because they had that release in Codex: Eye of Terror, got a special model or two, and sold like hotcakes. GW then decided to upgrade them to the status of the Big Four, and gave them their own book (which also sold very well). Their upgrade sprue continues to sell very well, despite the fact that their codex was released in 2004, one of the very first 4th edition armies.

Actually they were introduced in Codex:Armageddon as a stand alone force.

Them selling so well at that time could mostly be attributed to very unbalanced rules in conjunction with the infamous rhino rush!

massey
10-03-2010, 20:02
Hmm... was it Armageddon? I was thinking Eye of Terror. Oh well, yeah, they got a release in one of those books and did very well in sales. That's why they got a codex. I know I've bought a bunch of their upgrade sprues and I don't even play them.

VanirX
10-03-2010, 20:17
Dark Eldar or Necrons is my guess.

Xelloss
10-03-2010, 20:22
Them selling so well at that time could mostly be attributed to very unbalanced rules in conjunction with the infamous rhino rush!

I prefer to say "attributed by their sheer awesomeness".
As I'm not interested in competition, I'll be quite happy if BT don't get an update too soon, as when I crush my 5th ed codex opponent, it's much more badass to have an out-dated codex.

szlachcic
10-03-2010, 20:43
Part of me wants the next release to be Dark Eldar, as it was my first 40k army and I would love to collect an entirely new army of them.

Another Part of me wants it to be a Grey Knight release as it is rumored that a Stormraven kit might come out with them which I could use in my Blood Angels army.

My wallet, on the other hand, wants neither to happen as I am about to spend money on some of the new Blood Angel stuff to expand my existing army.

Irbian
10-03-2010, 20:52
As long as rumours have arrive here, Dark eldars and Grey Knights are on the way... but not as soon

My guesses? Tau, necrons or chaos space marines.

Ferox21
10-03-2010, 21:02
Well Eldar are quite out of the equation, eh?
They seem to be selling very bad, as their codex is quite old as well.

But of the non imperial armies the ones that need an update the most are indeed Necrons, Chaos Marines and Tau (leaving Dark Eldar beside).

Of the 3, in my opinion only Nacrons need an update the most, as Chaos the last, i fact their book is poorly written but the army is still competative somehow.

Tau are between. They need some upgrades to the Crisis suits, model- and rule wise, the rest of the army is ok imho.

I would put my money an Necrons first, followed by another Marine update (BT maybe, but they dont need new models imho, only if they would make sword brethren in plastic) and then maybe the long demanded Dark Eldar...

Wednesday Friday Addams
10-03-2010, 21:06
I hope it is Tau so don't get tempted into buying anything.

Ironhand
10-03-2010, 21:20
Oh please, please let this be true. That would make my entire year. Boo Blood Angels, you and your WFB codex. You're old news already. Bring on the Inquisition.

Much more likely to be "Bring on the Gray Knights and Sisters of Battle". Jervis has said that GW now considers the heavy emphasis on the Inquisition in DH and WH to be a mistake, and future codexes will focus on the armies themselves.

I know that quite a lot to ask; but could someone sum up what we know about DH?

Quite some people said, that there were many strong hints and I somehow managed to oversee all of them.

Only that when it does come out it's likely to be Gray Knights not DH, with the Inquisition presence much reduced. Also, given the current trends, "allies" are likely to be limited to Apocalypse only.

Odd if BT is redone but not DA. They are basicly the same age and rather similar too. It would make sense to redo SW, BA, BT and DA at the same time as they obviously share alot of units and similar considerations needs to be made during the design. I actualy expect BT and DA to either both be done or both wait for next edition. Possibly comming at the end of this edition right before the next one.

Not so odd. BT doesn't need much work to put right, mostly just updating rules and points to reflect the current gear in Codex:SM. DA I think need a lot more work to bring them up to standard but retain their unique flavor.

Along that line I can well believe that we might see Tau sooner rather than later. That's another Codex that I don't believe needs all that much work to be brought up to speed.

What I hope it’s not:

What I’d love to see:

Maybe leave the current book as is and release a new "Chaos Legions" Codex? Either way, I mostly agree with you Mega.

MajorWesJanson
10-03-2010, 22:19
My hopeful prediction is Tau in July/August , Grey Knights in Oct/Nov, Dark Eldar in Jan, Black Templars in March, then Necrons in May/June

NagashTheSorcerer
10-03-2010, 22:20

Took the words right out of my mouth! While the 3.5 chaos codex had it's issues, it provided chaos players with a degree of variety and flexibility unheard of in the new "streamlined" 'dex. True, the legions as presented in the 3.5 codex were perhaps a bit too rigid in their composition, and the limitations on mixing characters and units with the marks of different gods was taken to a ridiculous level of complexity and restriction (the concurrent 6th edition of fantasy chaos was much the same), but the 4th ed chaos codex stripped away much of the legions character and reduced them to simple "renegades." Now, I don't feel this means CSM should be next inline for a full on re-release, but a PDF patch for the 4th ed codex that would allow chaos players the ability to play the Legions in a manner similar to the 3.5 codex would be nice.

Now as for which army needs an update the most, there is no question - Necrons. Horribly outdated rules (phase out was a bad idea to begin with), complete lack of variety (I swear, every Necron army I've played or seen is nearly identical in composition) and the complete nerfing of the army by the 5th ed. core rules mean that Necrons are currently the worst army in the game. Hell, I sold mine back in '07 because I was bored with the army's vanilla troop selection, and that was before 5th ed. Now, they are now nigh unplayable. Damn shame too for an army with such cool background and models. I sincerely hope Necrons are next, they really need a complete overhaul. Along with Dark Eldar, Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle, Necrons should be first in line for a new codex.

williamhm
10-03-2010, 23:17
Dark Eldar followed by Necrons. Thats what I want to happen anyway.

LKHERO
10-03-2010, 23:53
Dark Eldar next.

Definitely.

trigger
11-03-2010, 00:04
Eldar or dark Eldar . then the =I= stuff ... then maybe 1 month before 6th edtion you could pos see a Necron (not he codex mind you ... just 1 necron)

Trig

williamhm
11-03-2010, 00:07
Eldar or dark Eldar . then the =I= stuff ... then maybe 1 month before 6th edtion you could pos see a Necron (not he codex mind you ... just 1 necron)

Trig

Would they release to codexes at once dark eldar and eldar?

Znail
11-03-2010, 00:14
I wouldnt expect Eldar to get a 5E codex realy. Its an ok codex and there isnt any rules problems with the 5E. Might be one of the first 6e codexes instead. I wouldnt expect Orks or spiky marines to get another codex before 6E either.

Prokrustes
11-03-2010, 09:20
My guess would be Necrons or Dark Eldar. I guess Crons before DE.

However, I think this thread needs a poll so that I can compare the poll to the one at Librarium Online with the same topic ;-)

Max_Killfactor
11-03-2010, 12:29
However, I think this thread needs a poll so that I can compare the poll to the one at Librarium Online with the same topic ;-)

Maybe check this thread then:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240875

:cool:

CoolKidRoc
11-03-2010, 13:50
My sources have said Grey Knights... I don't know if it's 100% but they did give me the warning that GKs would be taken off the shelfs before they were taken, and mentioned a summer release which would be about the time we're ready for a new codex. So I guess we'll wait and see.

Colonial Rifle
11-03-2010, 13:54
We are in an odd position where GW are actually starting to run out of Marine codex's to update. Only BT and Grey Knights (which isn't really a "pure" MEQ army).

What I want to happen: DE, Necrons, Inqusition, Tau, Chaos, BT.

What I think with happen: Inqusition, DE, then Necrons later next year.

Chaos & DA: despite the fact that both books are pretty much disasterous and need redoing, i don't see this happening anytime soon. Politically it would be very difficult for the studio to admit that they screwed up.

the1stpip
11-03-2010, 14:33
Although I am a Dark Eldar player, I would like to see Necrons first, as I feel they need a new codex far more than we do.

But I would like some concrete evidence that Dark Eldar were on their way before that.

williamhm
11-03-2010, 16:00
Although I am a Dark Eldar player, I would like to see Necrons first, as I feel they need a new codex far more than we do.

But I would like some concrete evidence that Dark Eldar were on their way before that.

I think Crons need a lot of help, but would like to see DE first.