PDA

View Full Version : In love with Apocalypse and my new table.

ArmyC
09-03-2010, 14:23
I played 2 Apocalypse games this past Saturday night. We initially said, 3000 points, then 4000, then 4250, then 4500, then by opponent comes in and says I'm at 4800. So we played 4800. We started at 4 pm, and played 2 complete games, with a break to go out to eat in the middle. I was very happy to find that such a large game can play so quickly. The rules were smooth, and did not have the friction that I have found in other game systems when you increased the points.

Another thing was that I expanded my table from 6x4 to 6x8 and I love the larger dimension. It brings so much more tactical depth when you expand the depth of the board.

I like the 6 objectives, and I also like the opptional rules that I found in the Imperial Armor Apocalypse books that arrived yesterday.

If you can play 5000 points in the same time it takes to play 2000, why not go big?

I have lurked around the edges of 40k for about 5 years without liking the game, but now with 5th edition, I like it so much more. I used to hate that my tanks sat in one spot and shot. I like that things are much more mobile now, and that terrain matters. It always mattered, but now you have to actually model that forest if you expect to hide that tank.

I am in high praise of GW. Still hate that they price their models congruent with point value, rather than cost of production. Still hate that codexes and armies can just fade away into some time warp and you have no idea when they might be updated.

But I am really having fun.

Cpt_Baughan
09-03-2010, 16:28
I think the beauty of Apoc is that you can just take a step back from all the thoughts of is this broken or nerfed or the rules for army x need updating and just have fun.

G/W has made some pretty rubbish expansions but in my opinion not much in the game sounds better than meeting up with a few friends, having a few beers and getting some Apoc units on the board

bigcheese76
09-03-2010, 16:33
Sound like you had a great wargaming evening. Apocalypse can be great fun, thats where I am aiming with my new Ork army at the moment.

Dreachon
09-03-2010, 16:46
Apocalypse can indeed be a great fun if you play it with like minded people, sofar I've enjoyed all my apocalypse games.

SandQueen
09-03-2010, 17:11
Apocalypse can indeed be a great fun if you play it with like minded people, sofar I've enjoyed all my apocalypse games.

Me too, even just starting out I could usually lump in with someone else and lend support. Now I have enough to stand on my own someone on Apocalypse and its even more fun.

Ozendorph
09-03-2010, 17:43
I build all my armies with Apocalypse in mind now. I regularly play smaller games (paint n' play league, and recently a few tournaments) but nothing beats Apoc for pure fun. The scratch-built models and unusual forces take me back to RT - but with a smoother rule system :)

LonelyPath
09-03-2010, 17:55
Having played Apoc many times I can admit that most of the games have been very fun, enjoyable experiences. A couple have been pretty bad, mostly due to bad planning, trying to run a themed game where everyone agrees and then turn up with stuff completely different to what they agreed to bring (like marines vs daemons, 1 guy said he'd bring his GK to join with mine and then turned up with daemons which overbalanced the sides), but thankfully that's a rare occurrance :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Apoc experiences ArmyC and I hope you have many more great games with the expansion (which is also my favourite out of the current expansions ou there).

@ Azendorph - could you amagine trying to play a apoc game with RT rules? even a 3000 point game would take all day, lol.

Ozendorph
09-03-2010, 18:40
Having played Apoc many times I can admit that most of the games have been very fun, enjoyable experiences. A couple have been pretty bad, mostly due to bad planning, trying to run a themed game where everyone agrees and then turn up with stuff completely different to what they agreed to bring (like marines vs daemons, 1 guy said he'd bring his GK to join with mine and then turned up with daemons which overbalanced the sides), but thankfully that's a rare occurrance :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Apoc experiences ArmyC and I hope you have many more great games with the expansion (which is also my favourite out of the current expansions ou there).

@ Azendorph - could you amagine trying to play a apoc game with RT rules? even a 3000 point game would take all day, lol.

I don't have to imagine it, lol. We used to play floorhammer with armorcast titans waaay back when. Not only did the battle take all day (and then some), but the list building was a separate event all together. Remember that equipment had to be rolled for and distributed. Lots of other random rolls too...psyker powers, chaos mutations, etc. Making a few chaos spawn could be a major time investment (particularly when you include delays for adolescent humor) .

"He's a fire-breathing snotling with zebra stripes, acid blood, crystalline body, and a crown of fingers. He has one goat hoof and spines. He moves 18" per turn and causes terror."