PDA

View Full Version : From WoC with a question

Jack of Blades
10-03-2010, 13:40
I'm pretty sure now after a long, long while of thinking that I will be returning to WHFB and I think so far that WoC is my new army choice. I really want to use a DP for my lord but I can't get my mind around how mind-bogglingly poor the gifts are along with his lack of magical attacks, I want him to be a warrior-mage but this just isn't possible right now.

So my question is whether you'd have a problem with facing a WoC DP that has magical attacks and can select gifts from DoC as well, following the same 50 points-of-your-mark restriction but with a total of 100 points?

willowdark
10-03-2010, 14:09
In a campaign, where I'd be used to army altering house rules, I'd be fine with it. But in pickup games I'd rather play what the army can do, instead of what you want it to do.

Sorry.

Unuhexium
10-03-2010, 14:11
As always, ask your regular gaming group. It's easy for people to say "Yes, that sounds like fun!" on a forum, but that really has no relation to what your regular opponents will say or think.

Edit: I'm a bit of a puritan when it comes to units so I'd probably say no because I dislike when people change rules they aren't comfortable with or invent new units and expect to get to field them.

Lord Malorne
10-03-2010, 14:13
As always, ask your regular gaming group. It's easy for people to say "Yes, that sounds like fun!" on a forum, but that really has no relation to what your regular opponents will say or think.

Was exactly what I was going to post, asking a forum is a waste of time. Personally, no, use what is in your book and I use what is in mine.

Lordsaradain
10-03-2010, 14:36
Dont use a DP. If you want a fighting character, pick an exalted, they do the job well enough and arn't too expensive. If you want magic get some sorcerors.

A DP is just to vurnerable as he is always on his own and doesn't have much in the way of defence to speak of. If you could give a Nurgle DP trappings of nurgle (regeneration) that would be awesome, but I doubt my opponents would agree to that.

Maelstorm
10-03-2010, 15:56
I like the idea, espically since most of the WoC gifts really, really sucks compared to the DoC ones. If you could have those, ʹd never leave home without a DP. Ever.

Ask the people you play with if you can use those rules, otherwise, just prey that GW give the DP the gifts they deserve in the next ed.

Enigmatik1
10-03-2010, 16:30
I like the idea, espically since most of the WoC gifts really, really sucks compared to the DoC ones. If you could have those, ʹd never leave home without a DP. Ever.

Ask the people you play with if you can use those rules, otherwise, just prey that GW give the DP the gifts they deserve in the next ed.

As do I.

Thing is, everyone knows that DPs are vastly inferior choices compared to the other two non-SC Lord options, so I'm sure that a casual gaming group would be willing to give you some leeway here. I know I would.

At the very least, sit down with them and discuss your ideas and see if you can come to some sort of consensus to make your idea more feasible. For instance, I would be totally content if my DP came with Chaos Armor and had magical attacks. In my particular instance, Mark of Slaanesh should give some additional benefit such as ASF, since the mark does next to nothing for him but open up the Lore of Slaanesh if he has Wizard levels.

Jack of Blades
10-03-2010, 16:32
In a campaign, where I'd be used to army altering house rules, I'd be fine with it. But in pickup games I'd rather play what the army can do, instead of what you want it to do.

Sorry.

Yeah I was planning on using it only for special occasions, campaigns and such. Wouldn't use it for pickup games with non-regulars, that would be quite boring as well since it'd be a quite special thing to use.

Edit: I'm a bit of a puritan when it comes to units so I'd probably say no because I dislike when people change rules they aren't comfortable with or invent new units and expect to get to field them.

Don't have one - I've been away from Warhammer for 5 years, which is why I'm asking here.

I don't crave to field it just so you know. If my opponent doesn't want to it's completely fine :)

Personally, no, use what is in your book and I use what is in mine.

Yep I prefer doing that too. I wouldn't go about changing random stuff because I want to... well, to a degree I want to of course, but you know - DPs aren't exactly good in their current format.

Dont use a DP. If you want a fighting character, pick an exalted, they do the job well enough and arn't too expensive. If you want magic get some sorcerors.

A DP is just to vurnerable as he is always on his own and doesn't have much in the way of defence to speak of. If you could give a Nurgle DP trappings of nurgle (regeneration) that would be awesome, but I doubt my opponents would agree to that.

Well the problem comes when you want both. In the last edition I could've used a Tzeentch Chaos Lord but that's not possible anymore, plus I like DPs more anyway.

I wouldn't mind as long as he wouldn't be the wimp in close combat the he currently is. Drawbacks are fun and that's the foremost one of the DP. Anyway, if you give him Trappings of Nurgle he's still not that bad... I think that would be more of a case of a bit too narrow sighted opponents, would it not? ''no way you can have anything more!''-syndrome, you know?

Yeah they do, they really suck wildly colossal donkey nuts compared to the DoC ones but I don't want to play Daemons and their DPs are bad in their own ways (max magic level 2, no default flying etc.).

Unuhexium
10-03-2010, 16:42
...I could've used a Tzeentch Chaos Lord but that's not possible anymore...

I don't really follow this one. I use a Chaos Lord of Tzeentch quite frequently and he's a bigtime killer.

Jack of Blades
10-03-2010, 16:43
I don't really follow this one. I use a Chaos Lord of Tzeentch quite frequently and he's a bigtime killer.

What I meant is that unlike in Hordes of Chaos, you cannot have a Chaos Lord who can also use magic.

Unuhexium
10-03-2010, 17:18
Ok, then I'm totaly with you. There is of course the combat-tooled sorcerer lord, who can tangle with most things, but there's nothing quite like a true Chaos Lord.

willowdark
10-03-2010, 17:55
Listen to the voice of reason. My regular WoC opponent takes the Sorc Lord on Daemonic mount for a 1+ AS and takes regeneration. He went toe-to-toe with my Pendant Dragon Rider and I couldn't get any wounds through those combined saves. We sat in that challenge for 3 whole turns and between Buboes and the one 6 I rolled on my Pendant save, my Dragon was suddenly riderless and broke from combat.

A WoC Sorc Lord is still a Warrior of Chaos. Run him with knights and you'll get your combat caster.

Preston
10-03-2010, 19:34
Speaking of the lord on daemonic mount, anyone know the parts breakdown on him? I've been thinking about picking one up, maybe doing some conversion work on him, but what all pieces is he in?

Unuhexium
10-03-2010, 20:11
I use a converted chaos knight for a lord.