PDA

View Full Version : Battle Mission Archive

Dangersaurus
10-03-2010, 18:40
They've opened the Battle Mission archive here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=6900023a). Hopefully they keep it going.

The first new mission is an odd one too. I wish it had been in the book, but it is a bit out of the ordinary. The change to IGO/UGO is the biggest thing, and the break from standard force org and balanced points sets it apart from the main 30 missions. Nonetheless, it's one of the first ones I'd like to try.

LonelyPath
10-03-2010, 19:15
The new mission does look very good indeed and agree on wishing it'd been in the book. I must try out the Close Quarters Action at some point, it sounds pretty crazy :)

Brother Loki
11-03-2010, 12:40
That is fantastic. I like the simple way of incorporating overwatch style fire into it.

MistaGav
11-03-2010, 12:43
I think this should have been in the book too as this is the kind of missions that would be interesting. Still I can't complain, it's good to see that GW are actively supporting the book (and essentially giving away free missions!)

DawnoftheDoug
11-03-2010, 14:32
For some reason this is reminding me of those old starcraft missions where you guide jim raynor around some science lab heh

Evilmerlin
11-03-2010, 14:46
Doesn't 40K go Move -> Shoot -> Assault? This one becomes Move -> Assault ->Shoot with the Defender's action interspersed in between.

And what happens in the Defender's turn? I follow that sequence again? So effectively, it's a never ending sequence of move assault shoot repeat? And one complete sequence counts as a turn for both players? If not then how does one keep track of turns?

gwarsh41
11-03-2010, 14:53
This is more along the lines of what I was expecting form the battle missions book! The actual book was a big let down.
But yes, the order of the game is completely redone, plus, you can shoot then assault a different unit! While it is still Move -> shoot -> assault, now it is attacker move, defender shoot, attacker assault, defender move attacker shoot defender assault.

wtf?

CoolKidRoc
11-03-2010, 15:29
This is more along the lines of what I was expecting form the battle missions book! The actual book was a big let down.
But yes, the order of the game is completely redone, plus, you can shoot then assault a different unit! While it is still Move -> shoot -> assault, now it is attacker move, defender shoot, attacker assault, defender move attacker shoot defender assault.

wtf?

It's awesome, it'll make for a rather interesting fluid game. I think lol...

TaintedSpam
11-03-2010, 15:56
I see GW using these types of books as rules-testbeds for future rulebooks.

szlachcic
11-03-2010, 15:59
Doesn't 40K go Move -> Shoot -> Assault? This one becomes Move -> Assault ->Shoot with the Defender's action interspersed in between.

And what happens in the Defender's turn? I follow that sequence again? So effectively, it's a never ending sequence of move assault shoot repeat? And one complete sequence counts as a turn for both players? If not then how does one keep track of turns?

Read the rules again, it is still Move->Shoot->Assault. The only difference is that on the attackers turn you do the defender's shoot phase, and on the defender's turn you do the attacker's shoot phase. To break it down, attacker moves -> defender shoots -> attacker assaults -> defender moves -> attacker shoots -> defender assaults. So, like others have said, they swapped the shooting phases to make it sort of like overwatch.

Seems like a neat mission, I will definitely have to give it a try sometime.

Helicon_One
11-03-2010, 16:02
I see GW using these types of books as rules-testbeds for future rulebooks.

That possibility ocured to me too. I can see why this one was left out of the main book - as interesting as it is, its radically different from any other mission type and I guess it was seen as just a little too extreme to fit in alongside the other regular mission types.

Krovin-Rezh
11-03-2010, 18:30
Sure, but that's exactly what we were looking for, right?

LonelyPath
11-03-2010, 19:09
I think this mission should have been placed in the book instead of the baneblades one.

Asher
11-03-2010, 19:23
I think this mission should have been placed in the book instead of the baneblades one.

Yeah; I occur!

Has anyone tried it yet? I'd be very inclined to; but will hardly find any time in the forseeable future.

LonelyPath
11-03-2010, 19:40
I'm hoping to try the only one sometime over the next couple of weeks, I just need to get a friend of print it off since my printer packed up a while back and never bothered replacing it.

EmperorEternalXIX
11-03-2010, 20:18
Very cool!