PDA

View Full Version : Amazon book prices on ltd editions?

Sleazy
10-03-2010, 19:10
I've just been researching prices to clear out some stuff when I looked on Amazon for 3 OOP books I have.

I dont get it, I know these are sought after but the prices are crazy.

Insignium Astartes - £120
The Sabbat Worlds Crusade - £115
Mark Of Chaos Concept Art - £40.

Surely people dont actually pay that? Can anyone give me a reasonable price I should ask? Was gonna list them on here and Bartertown rather than Ebay.

Cheers

Aurellis
10-03-2010, 19:14
To be honest I wouldn't complain, put them up at 10% off those prices and see what happens. If they don't sell you can always drop the price to one which seems reasonable at first glance.

iseeleadpeople
10-03-2010, 19:21
be warned tho black library is doing something

Sleazy
10-03-2010, 19:48
be warned tho black library is doing something

Yeah I heard they are going to re release some older books, to hell with it! ebay here I come.

Earthbeard
10-03-2010, 20:22
I did see the Sabbat World book go on ebay for £75 or £85 a few weeks ago, so some people must be after them for that!

bigcheese76
10-03-2010, 20:28
I doubt people will pay those sort of prices on Amazon. But if people really want something and you have it, then you can overcharge.

Deuce Blue
10-03-2010, 20:42
The books are not being sold directly out of Amazon's stock. They are from contracted independant merchants. Those merchants are the ones who look at the price trends, and market it differently. Amazon simply sells what stock it gets at the msrp (usually less), and once it is out, it is out.

Sleazy
10-03-2010, 21:15
I did see the Sabbat World book go on ebay for £75 or £85 a few weeks ago, so some people must be after them for that!

cool, well I just threw it up there Buy It Now for £49.99 for maybe I'll get a bite.

Lord of Worms
11-03-2010, 10:35
Surely people dont actually pay that? Can anyone give me a reasonable price I should ask? Was gonna list them on here and Bartertown rather than Ebay.

There is two(possibly 3) answers for that. 1.) People who buy stuff on amazon, appear to have no clue what books are worth anywhere else. Sellers list their books as OOP, even though they were back in print for months. I could go on.
Suffice to say, when checking "value" of anything Amazon is ridiculously unreliable.

2.) Yes, people can, will, and do pay that much. I pay more than that for books that have been OOP for shorter periods.

IF you intend to sell them, sell them quick. BL is planning on doing a "Print on Demand" service for OOP books. Even though yours are 1st Eds they may take notable drops in value due to a reissue. I've seen books that consistantly sold for $400 drop to ~$100 once a limited 2nd Ed of 1000 came out. A lot of people were steamed, but the value eventually went back up to $400 for 1sts and $250-300 for 2nds. These were books with RRPs of about fifty bucks mind you.

Ph4lanx
11-03-2010, 11:18
Just wait for Black Library to launch their Print on Demand service. Insignium Astartes is one of the first on there, so you will see those prices plummet like a sack of rocks :) The other books you can give a fair shout, will also be on the PoD at some point.

Jedi152
11-03-2010, 11:29
People on Amazon Marketplace price things stupidly high in the hopes that someone will assume Amazon has the best price and buy it without checking.

I got my Insignium Astartes for £1 a few years back when they couldn't shift them.

Lord of Worms
11-03-2010, 11:41
People on Amazon Marketplace price things stupidly high in the hopes that someone will assume Amazon has the best price and buy it without checking.

I saw Amazon asking for $1200 for a copy of The Art of Dueling, a translation of Fabris' rapier treatise:eek:. The book was published four years ago, IIRC and is still available from the publisher for $50!

TheBigBadWolf
13-03-2010, 00:34
I got my Insignium Astartes for £1 a few years back when they couldn't shift them.

I got a few for a £1 in that sale aswell, Mark Of Chaos Concept Art, Sabbat Worlds and another art style one I can remember, If I was able to sell them on at that kinda price though!

Xenology is another one that has a high price £110:wtf:, the gf got me it for Valentines day when it was available from GW/BL:cool:

Olith
15-03-2010, 15:19

Yup. Always check abebooks for more realistic pricing, even then you can try making an offer.

lijah_cuu
15-03-2010, 17:34
When I worked for a bookshop I used to be able to sell copies of Tactica Imperialis/Daemonifuge/Titan/whatever was rare, on amazon for £60 a go even though they were still available in shops. I almost started a bunfight when people found out I had 20 copies of Dark heresy stashed after it had gone OOP......

The prices of some books are high because some people are willing to pay that sort of money for them.

Marshal Argos
17-03-2010, 22:47
Something else if your looking for OOP books is to check Ebay in different countries. I“ve picked up quite a few BL books out of Spain and Italy for under 15Euro just because no one was buying them and were reduced to clear. The best thing to do is shop around before buying. As for Amazon“s high prices, meh... there“s almost always someone willing to pay.

Orinoco
20-03-2010, 04:25
insignium astartes is being reprinted ONLY in A4 size, not the original massive scale. shame really. the original will hold it's premium price. all those black library background books, i expect, will go the same route if and when they reprint them. I imagine the reason the prices are so high is because the books really are very, very good. I've got most of them bar xenology and the empire picture book and the skaven thing. the undead book is good, the heresy books are good and sabbat is genius.

Ph4lanx
20-03-2010, 21:34
Personally I'd prefer the books in A4 size. Easier to keep with my other items and smaller to keep close when working on things. But that's just personal preference. I'm just glad my preference seems to be BL's aswell ;)