PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting Tyranids, advice?

Mindshred
10-03-2010, 22:49
Hello there!

I'm normally a Fantasy player, but the Tyranids have started to attract my attention as of late. The only problem is that I know next to nothing about 40K, and the "WYSIWYG" rule is pretty intimidating; I don't want to be swapping arms and heads and what-not on my bugs, but I don't want to build a completely gimped army, either. I don't need something honed to the razor edge of perfection, just a solid army that's fun to play with friends.

So, with that being said, can anyone offer me some advice as to what would be a good starting force to work with? The only thing that I really know for sure is that I'd like to work a Mawloc into things, as I love the idea of a giant burrowing monster crawling around beneath the battlefield and popping up all over the place. Hopefully he's not the most terrible unit in the army. :P

daboarder
10-03-2010, 23:20
Short answer. DON'T!

we got ripped a new one by the new codex. I guess its not so bad for starting a new tyhranid army but us vet's got seriously screwed over by the new codex.

carldooley
10-03-2010, 23:44
get a carnifex for conversion to a tervigon for your HQ(Lord) and get a couple boxes of Termagaunts to act as your troops(core). easily scaled up, and a good way to get a feel for the tyranid army.

Draconian77
10-03-2010, 23:48
For one thing don't use Termagants as the core of your force...

Hormagaunts and Genestealers are both solid choices. Most Tyranid players advocate taking Toxin Sacs on both of those units.

Some Hive Guard are also a good place to start. They take out the enemy transports at range, allowing your other dino-bugs to eat the contents. :D

RampagingRavener
10-03-2010, 23:49
we got ripped a new one by the new codex.

Oh, rubbish. The Tyranid codex is fine. Pretty damn different to the previous one, granted, but it's still fine.

OP; WYSIWYG isn't a huge problem for Tyranids if you're willing to magnetise the arms of your Monstrous Creatures, so you can swap out weapon combinations as desired. The Mawloc isn't an amazing unit but isn't horrid and doesn't cost the earth so you should be fine enough taking one. Grab a couple of decent-sized units of Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs, some Hive Guard/Zoanthropes for anti-tank, and a leader bug of some sort (Hive Tyrant for killing stuff, Tervigon for buffing stuff and creating new units) and you should be off to a decent start.

trigger
10-03-2010, 23:54
First off welcome to 40k , second Do not listen to any one who cries that there codex is poo and cant be used because GW brought a new one out.

Nid are amzin to use , Lots of wee griblies (H'Gaunts) as troops with 2x units of warriors and a unit of stealers.
Dont matter how good the enemy are .. you will get dragged down by the numbers. Thats the Key to remember as a nid player ... YOU WIN BY NUMBERS .. dont spend to many points on the fancy shiny stuff .. At least 50% of your nid army should be troops.

Trig

MasterDecoy
11-03-2010, 00:08
my best advice. ignore all advice given too you on this online forum. You'll just get genestealer_baldwick expalining to you in great detail why he fails with the new codex like it is gospel.

Also, echeck out my army list in my sig, it is balanced against my meta though (not a ton of mechinised lists here)

DuskRaider
11-03-2010, 00:11
I think it's a splendid idea. The new Tyranid codex may have a few problems, but not what some of the Chicken Littles are making it out to be. It's a fairly balanced book with many great choices and a few meh ones. Overall, it's a great codex for both beginner and veteran alike, so you get a thumbs up from me!

Hoodwink
11-03-2010, 00:46
No matter what people say, Nids are a solid army. Read the battle reports people have posted about them. They are a solid army. Not overpowered, not underpowered. Right where they need to be.

The Battleforce would be the best way to start your army imo. It has termagants, hormagaunts, warriors, and genestealers. The problem right now is that many of the core models are not able to be bought. You have to customize.

You will want a decent number of termagants. The Tervigon is one of the best support choices available in the game (especially for the points), but no model for it right now.

From there, you will probably want about 2 or 3 Zoanthropes and Hive Guard. Then a Trygon. These are all very good units that I use most every game, as they are solid choices.

From there, you can branch out and see what you like.

Mannimarco
11-03-2010, 00:49
bravo the first reply is a nid whinge

the nid codex is actually better than people give it credit for

Vepr
11-03-2010, 01:08
Just go with what you want to play. The new codex is fun. I definitely have my issues with the codex but personally I am having fun with it. Tyranids have some of the coolest models in the game in my opinion and the new Trygon is one of the best.

Commissar Bone
11-03-2010, 01:51
I also recommend buying the Tyranid armies of those players who complain it's "broken" now. Y'all are willing to part with them cheap, right? ;)

Morgrad
11-03-2010, 02:46
One word: gargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargo ylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesg argoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoy lesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesgargoylesga rgoylesgargoylesgargoyles.
A couple more words: with furious charge and poison. 8 points of gribbly nastiness.

Hoodwink
11-03-2010, 03:37
Gargolyes are nice. One of the best power-for-point units in the game. The problem is that they really serve no main purpose other than to tie people up. They aren't going to decimate armies, nor are they scoring.

They are great to have (I just finished a box of them) but they are in no means a must-have. Nice if you can afford them, but they are harassment units.

I will say they are incredibly useful as cover for the Parasite :D

Mindshred
11-03-2010, 04:08
Thanks for all the replies so far!

Since termagants and hormagaunts seem to be pretty widely recomended, I'll probably end up just getting the battleforce to begin with, and probably a Hive Tyrant to lead them.

Does anyone have any advice as to arming the three warriors that come in the battleforce, or are all the options equally viable? Or, for that matter, the Hive Tyrant? I sort of like the idea of having him pull double duty as a cannon...

Wolf 11x
11-03-2010, 04:17
Every Tyrant should have Hive Commander, Lash Whip & Bonesword, and a Stranglethorn Cannon.

Every Tyranid army should also include at least one Tervigon (with an accompanying unit of 10 Termagants to make him a Troop).

CushionRide
11-03-2010, 05:21
OMG, i love you people who say "dont use termigaunts" :P so far my most successful list has been....

parasite of mortex HQ

3 units of 10 termagaunts(upgrade depending on points)
3 Tervigons
(PS) keep extra gaunts on the side that are not on your list, you will need them lol

thats it, mind you the games have been low points for our league but if you want to hold objectives the tervigons as troops can do the job ^_^

add a brood of carneys, and 2 mawlocks in for highter pointed games, the mawlocks are devistating ^_^ and a properly decked carney will assault on init 4 for the first round of combat. <3

also for added enjoyment use mycetic drop pods, there hilarious. especially when your opponent accidentally assaults into one ^_^(it happened in one of my games)

Morgrad
11-03-2010, 05:25
Gargolyes are nice. One of the best power-for-point units in the game. The problem is that they really serve no main purpose other than to tie people up. They aren't going to decimate armies, nor are they scoring.

They are great to have (I just finished a box of them) but they are in no means a must-have. Nice if you can afford them, but they are harassment units.

I will say they are incredibly useful as cover for the Parasite :D

Every army I have this 'dex starts with two units of 20 gargoyles and the Parasite. They don't just tie things up - if it's not in a vehicle, they kill it.

Hoodwink
11-03-2010, 05:26
Every Tyrant should have Hive Commander, Lash Whip & Bonesword, and a Stranglethorn Cannon.

Every Tyranid army should also include at least one Tervigon (with an accompanying unit of 10 Termagants to make him a Troop).

Imo, Tyrants should reflect what is needed in your army. There is no "Take a X with Y Upgrades everytime" like there are with a lot of other codecies.

Sometimes people don't want to start units in reserve. I enjoy running a mass unit against some armies and just wedge them down the middle with sheer force and numbers. Also, if you need your Tyrant to assist in Anti-Armor duty, that Stranglethorn Cannon is near useless. A Heavy Venom Canon would be much better. All you need to do is keep the vehicle from firing while you advance and it's worth the points. Even good for IDing T4 units.

Tervigons should really be in most every build. I'd say only 1 or 2, though. Many people go overboard with it and think spamming it will work. That is until you fight someone like IG or Tau who will kill 1 or 2 Tervs a turn. Then *POOF* all the gants who aren't killed from the Tervigon death will just get tank shocked off the board.

The key to the nid codex is to have a good variety of units. This is one of the few codecies where you really can't just spam 1 unit and win.

Hoodwink
11-03-2010, 05:29
Every army I have this 'dex starts with two units of 20 gargoyles and the Parasite. They don't just tie things up - if it's not in a vehicle, they kill it.

I'm not saying they are bad by any means. It's just that there are other units that do the same thing. Hormagaunts, for instance, can cap points and get more attacks. Gargoyles just happen to be faster and I think a touch cheaper if I recall. Just depends what you need and what you are running. If you have a Parasite, Gargoyles just happen to be the only viable choice that;s worth it (unless you count flying rippers, yeesh).

Morgrad
11-03-2010, 05:39
It's the combination of speed and poison (with FC) that is so excellent. They can't take objectives, but for 480 points you get forward synapse hidden in big units and lots and lots of killy. The +1 attack of the hormagaunt is mitigated by the gun on the gargoyles - and they're 8 points instead of 10 for a similarly upgraded hormagaunt.

11-03-2010, 06:31
devilgaunts are your friend, and buy lots of genestealers.

azimaith
11-03-2010, 06:51
Tyranids are fine if your starting out. Most of the tyranid vets like me stopped playing not because of the power level but because we'd have to scrap most of our existing models to be competitive and many times this problem seems to have no possible explanation other than them wanting to get you to buy more stuff. The internal balance puts a bad taste in my mouth. New tyranid players don't have to deal with that. I would be cautious with things like Tervigons and Tyrannofex, without a model released with them I don't trust GW to not remove or ruin them when the new codex comes out.

TheShadowCow
11-03-2010, 09:46
Hello there!

I'm normally a Fantasy player, but the Tyranids have started to attract my attention as of late. The only problem is that I know next to nothing about 40K, and the "WYSIWYG" rule is pretty intimidating; I don't want to be swapping arms and heads and what-not on my bugs, but I don't want to build a completely gimped army, either. I don't need something honed to the razor edge of perfection, just a solid army that's fun to play with friends.

So, with that being said, can anyone offer me some advice as to what would be a good starting force to work with? The only thing that I really know for sure is that I'd like to work a Mawloc into things, as I love the idea of a giant burrowing monster crawling around beneath the battlefield and popping up all over the place. Hopefully he's not the most terrible unit in the army. :P

Ignoring everything else in the thread (I predict a flame war :p), I would offer you the following with regards to starting a Tyranid force.

1) Go for it! Tyranids are awesome. Cinematic, loaded up with villainous character in a way no other race can be, extremely varied in units and a playground for adding your own touches to models.

2) You want a Mawloc. That's fine - you can fit just about anything you like into an army, the Mawloc being no exception. It's a lovely model, and it's pretty beastly on the field as well.

3) You'll need a "core" force to play with. The Tyranid battleforce isn't a bad deal really, giving you 3 Tyranid Warriors, 8 Genestealers, 16 Termagants and 16 Hormagaunts (four Troops choices). All you really need beyond that (in additon to your Mawloc) is something for an HQ. That is a little more complex - some go for a Hive Tyrant, some for a Tyranid Prime, others for a Tervigon. The "problem" is that only the Tyrant has a model available - the others must be converted from existing (or older) kits. If you are going to shy away from that side of the force you'll find that you can only field about 2/3 of the Codex, but that's not the end of the world really and you can still run a perfectly viable force. This brings us to point 4...

4) Pick up the Codex, give it one complete read-through, and then another. The Tyranid army can take on any number of shapes, and I suspect that as you read through the background you'll pick out one or two things that you really like (if it's tunnelling snake-monsters, you may end up with a Jormungandr-themed snake army full of Trygons and Raveners). Advice beyond that is going to be a little moot since you're not overly amiliar with the army yet.

Prudence would say get the Codex first before you buy *anything*, but if you're looking for something fun to play with while you read the book through, grab your Mawloc - it's a wonderful kit, and exemplifies what the Tyranids can be for a gamer.

Happy spawning :)

taffeh
11-03-2010, 09:47
I do Nids and Dark Angels as 2 of my primary armies - a lot of the clientel on here would say I'm seriously stuffed however I still enjoy games and get a cross-the-board level of results - draws and wins mainly if u want to be elitist. I play for fun, but more importantly the Nid models are ace looking and the DA fluff has appealed to me since 2nd ed.

Same with the current Vostroyan force I am building up - yes I could have autocannons or meltas, or convert the models and not have a BSB, however the models are just too ace to convert and I did not want another cadian/catachan cookie cutter looking list...

Don't listen to the competative lot here, just do something because you want to. If you go down the other route, your armies will be picked from a select few and then the list will be very cookie cutter!

Mindshred
11-03-2010, 12:27
3) You'll need a "core" force to play with. The Tyranid battleforce isn't a bad deal really, giving you 3 Tyranid Warriors, 8 Genestealers, 16 Termagants and 16 Hormagaunts (four Troops choices). All you really need beyond that (in additon to your Mawloc) is something for an HQ. That is a little more complex - some go for a Hive Tyrant, some for a Tyranid Prime, others for a Tervigon. The "problem" is that only the Tyrant has a model available - the others must be converted from existing (or older) kits. If you are going to shy away from that side of the force you'll find that you can only field about 2/3 of the Codex, but that's not the end of the world really and you can still run a perfectly viable force. This brings us to point 4...

4) Pick up the Codex, give it one complete read-through, and then another. The Tyranid army can take on any number of shapes, and I suspect that as you read through the background you'll pick out one or two things that you really like (if it's tunnelling snake-monsters, you may end up with a Jormungandr-themed snake army full of Trygons and Raveners). Advice beyond that is going to be a little moot since you're not overly amiliar with the army yet.)

Thanks! I'll definately give the codex a few more read throughs, but a tunnel snake army is sounding pretty good.

I'm not too worried about converting up things if necessary - I play WoC in Fantasy, so I've some practice at it. :)

malisteen
11-03-2010, 14:12
While there's lots of fun things in the new nid book, there's also some stuff that doesn't work as it should. Don't rely on trigons to dig tunnels for other units in reserve in normal games, the rule doesn't work right - although it does work in apocalypse as reserve order isn't random there. Trigons are great otherwise, just don't get hung up on the "tunnel" part. In general, both trigons and mawlocs should start the game on the field, rather than deep strike.