PDA

View Full Version : Your army on the airplane...

Wolflord Patrick
11-03-2010, 23:21
Hey All,
As Adepticon is just a couple weeks away, I find myself worried about transporting my army on the airplane.

Now, the last time I flew with my Space Wolves was for the Seattle GT back in 2001. This is before 9/11 and I didn't have any problem taking my army in my carry-on bag using one of those long, grey Chessx cases and wrapping my Rhinos and tanks in my clothes.

This time around I have some concerns... The first of which is that my Space Wolf army is old. While it has gone through updates over the years, about 90% of my army consists of the old pewter and lead figures. Does that even matter or is that a problem?

Just looking for some feedback from some of you guys that fly to tournaments all the time and what you do? Do you check your army in as baggage and pay the freight?

Thanks,
-Patrick

TitusAndronicus
11-03-2010, 23:25
You should have no trouble carrying them on. Last time I flew I carried an army with me as carry on and they made me open it and show the contents and all was swell. I wouldn't personally risk putting an army into stowage though. I've had too much stuff disappear down there due to theives or just stupidity. Just remember not to bring glue or paints or rattle cans. Buy what you need at your destination.

bigcheese76
11-03-2010, 23:26
Ah, thats nice too know for the future. Thanks TitusAndronicus.

Bunnahabhain
12-03-2010, 02:27
Yes, stay away from paints and glues in any bags. Even if the airport security lot don't mind, the mess they can make when they burst is impressive...

If you are putting models in hold luggage, use a decent case, label it with address clearly inside and out, and firmly duct tape it closed so it cannot possibly come open.

Also, for Americans, if you are using a hard case, it is probably worth writing DOES NOT CONTAIN GUNS on the outside, as many people seem to use Walmart gun cases for models....

DaSpaceAsians
12-03-2010, 02:33
I forgot who said it on Warseer but apparently resin drop pods show up as chunks of C4 under security scanners.

chromedog
12-03-2010, 03:52
I took a mostly metal eldar army interstate with me on an aircraft two months ago.

I got asked what was in the case - and told them "Toy soldiers" and offered to open it up if they wanted - but they nodded and waved it through. One of the security guys even recognised the Falcon silhouette and said "Cool, Eldar - my kid plays with these guys."

YMMV. We are not America, and can carry nail files and stuff onboard these days.

Deus
12-03-2010, 08:57
Also, for Americans, if you are using a hard case, it is probably worth writing DOES NOT CONTAIN GUNS on the outside, as many people seem to use Walmart gun cases for models....

I tried "Is not a bomb"...didn't work :P

taffeh
12-03-2010, 09:57
I tried "Is not a bomb"...didn't work :P

Don't say the B word... never say the B word....

Loving the bit about the Drop Pod C4...

I've actually been interested in the answer of this for a long time as I do a lot of travelling within the UK and soon-to-be-out. Taking a fast attack bag or small army case would be ideal for me whilst sitting in a hotel room late at night with nowt to do...

Good to know paints are a no-no - but maybe a problem when theres no GW or hobby shop in some countries let alone cities!

Tonberry
12-03-2010, 10:31
On the modern high-res scanners at places like heathrow T5 it's quite obvious that they're toy soldiers. If there's any ambiguity the security staff will ask you what's in it/ to open it, and upon finding that they're toy soldiers will (usually) be happy to let them through.

chromedog
12-03-2010, 11:12
On the C-4 issue.

There's a density of the resin which is similar - but the main scare came from the outgassing resin. FW rarely ship fully cured resin casts (they still smell very strongly in the baggies). This chemical signature is also close to that of a couple of PX blends.

MadHatter
12-03-2010, 11:22
you should not put your army in the storage below, with that said keep the space glue bottle small under 3 oz. and take it with the army in your carry on. this way it is does not explode with presures as they keep the cabin presurized.

If you duck tape a package for the airplane you are going to draw thier attention to it. and they maybe bigger jerks with it then. the small army bags out there will fit on your carry on in most cases.

Str10_hurts
12-03-2010, 11:30
My personal experience is to always take your army as hand baggage, they manhandle anything that goes in the cargo hold.

I only once had to show my case, pretty funny to see the eyes of a new employee looking confused at the metal content trough the x-ray :) .

And a tip: always remain calm, even when they start to flip.

Latro_
12-03-2010, 13:07
wow living in the uk i would never of thought of this issue! crazy.
Could you not get the train to be safe?

Bunnahabhain
12-03-2010, 13:19
Last time I checked, longest train journey you can manage in Britain without leaving the country ( Wick to Exeter) is about 18 hours/ 700ish miles before delays. I've done it in two stages, due to an unfortunate set of coincidences...

The OP has California as a location, and Adpeticon is in Illinois, that 2000, 2500 miles? 3 hour flight?....

LonelyPath
12-03-2010, 14:56
I took some miniatires to the States (pre and post 9/11) and had all kinds of problems in Atlanta (worst airport I've ever been to for ignorant/rude staff) and they took each and every model out from the case and ran each one individually through the scanner, knowing I was short on time for my next flight, causing me to miss it. Needless to say, seeing I'm also disabled I did raise a stink and got a full refund on my flight, plus a ticket on the next available (which was the next day, causing me to miss the person picking me up and arranging a 3 day stay in Albuquerque before they could come back and collect me).

I will make it known, that I never had any problems at any other airport no matter where it was, just Atlanta. The guys at Albuquerque, Cincinnati, New York and other such places just waved them through, sometimes having a little chuckle at my big "may contain nuts" stickers on my cases.

Latro_
12-03-2010, 15:29
Last time I checked, longest train journey you can manage in Britain without leaving the country ( Wick to Exeter) is about 18 hours/ 700ish miles before delays. I've done it in two stages, due to an unfortunate set of coincidences...

The OP has California as a location, and Adpeticon is in Illinois, that 2000, 2500 miles? 3 hour flight?....

haha when you put it like that, aw bless our lil island.

Good thing is you dont have to go very far to get a game in

Wolflord Patrick
12-03-2010, 15:36

Correct, I live in San Diego, California and with Adepticon in Chicago, Illionis it is between a 3 and 4 hour flight.

While the UK and most of Europe have great train systems, going across the US by train isn't generally an option we consider. The 3+ hour flight would take 2 to 3 days by train and actually cost more.

So, in most cases it seems like I shouldn't have any problems carrying them on the airplane and telling the security ahead of time what they are.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Vepr
12-03-2010, 15:38
When I read the title of this thread a picture of Tyranid Hive Tyrant arguing at the security gate popped into my head. "What do you mean I cannot bring the swords and talons? They are part of my body!" The trygon upset about having to buy more than one seat, the venomthrope getting in trouble for the whole no smoking thing. :p

Lord Inquisitor
12-03-2010, 15:43
Yeah, I've transported models before - when I moved to the states we had an issue with space not weight, so all of my metal bits got shoved in all over the place wherever I could find a space. I've had a few cases raise a few eyebrows and been asked to open it once or twice (I guess a solid box packed with pieces of metal look dodgy on the x-ray) but no issues.

Luisjoey
12-03-2010, 15:47
when i first read i thought about "SNAKES ON A PLANE" but with wh! O.o!

ROLF!

The Miniatures lead is a light and soft metal that not always sounds in the machines at the airports, but to be sure put them in a case and send them through the baggage carriage system... i transported my army transport full with witch hunters and nothing arises.

Dantès
12-03-2010, 15:53
I took a Bretonnians army to Greece with me, from the US. I just packed it in with all my clothes and stuff, put the paints in their own zip lock bags, and I was fine.

This was 2003. As long as you've got the models with your clothes, they should arrive fine. They were in a GW hardcase, too.

Taking them as carry ons is iffy, though. Especially if it's a GW hardcase. They'll tear that thing apart looking for weapons lol. Also, you run the risk of it falling out of the upper compartment when you open it up at the end of the flight (as hard luggage moves around a LOT more than soft luggage), and hitting the ground, models flying everywhere. Good luck handling THAT situation.

Tamwulf
12-03-2010, 15:58
I fly all over the US a lot. At least 1-2 times a month during the Convention season of May-September. Here are my tips:

1. Make sure your bag fits in the overhead compartments. For size purposes, a Sabol Army Basic Transport case, Motorpool, and Platoon case all fit. All but the largest Battlefoam bags will fit. GW Hardcases (the smaller ones) will fit. Anything bigger, and you risk your bag getting checked at the gate. My horror story- I was a bit late to my plane, the bins where full, so my custom army transport got checked. When I got home and opened up the bag, I found bits of my models from the bottom of the bag on the top tray. In other words, my army was destroyed.

2. No glue or bottles of paint in your carry on- and be wary of taking any with you. Not only is there a chance it will get taken (I've lost more then a couple bottles that way), but the drastic pressure changes onboard aircraft at altitude causes the liquid to expand inside the bottle. Horror story #2: I had a bottle of superglue explode on my Sisters of Battle during a flight.

3. Particularly delicate, pointy, or ill-fitting models inside your bag should be wrapped up in tissue paper to support them more and keep them from moving around inside the bag. Consider this- you will be walking for a long time with this bag, picking it up, putting it down, slinging it over your head into small compartments, etc. etc. Anything that moves inside your bag can break.

4. I've met more TSA security that play Warhammer/Warmachine/AT-43/Battletech/name-your-mini-game-here than not. As in, they know what it is. Still, it pays 100% to be overly polite to the security even if they seem like the dumbest people on Earth- the Dumbest People on Earth who can seize your bag and you'll never see it again. :( Remember that!!! Arguing with the security guy about anything is the sure way to lose your army. It sucks, it's stupid, hell, the US Constitution is supposed to protect US Citizens against unlawful search and seizure, except when it comes to flying. :(

5. Don't use a gun case to transport stuff on an airplane. It makes people way too nervous. And it's a sure way to get questioned and searched. Typical "Gamer" passenger walks up to the security checkpoint wearing a trench coat and a tee-shirt that says "Death to the Heretic!" and he has a gun case? :eek: Even worse was the suggestion above about painting "Not a gun" on the gun case. Just... don't do it.

Take some common sense precautions, be polite, and your army will arrive at your destination with you in perfect condition.

MadHatter
12-03-2010, 16:27
So, in most cases it seems like I shouldn't have any problems carrying them on the airplane and telling the security ahead of time what they are.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

you could just pull each of the foam trays with the models out and put them in the tubs so they can see them easier if you think its going to be an issue.

Kamenwati
12-03-2010, 18:13
I have flown with an army a few times and here has been my experience. I went from Great Falls Montana to the Fantasy 'Ard Boyz Finals in Chicago. I had to check my Army Transport Division bag because of it's size (I run a chariot heavy force). I love that bag. Even the Screaming Skull catapults arrived on the other side intact. This same bag also survived being shipped through the post office internationally with only very minor damage to the armies more fragile models.

If you can hand carry that is great and probably the better option. Smaller troop transports fit nicely inside larger luggage pieces and are pretty well protected when packed with clothes.