PDA

View Full Version : Ork Kommando's

Crovax20
12-03-2010, 10:39
Hello, I am currently in the progress of starting an Ork army, and the kommando models really caught my eye. I am now wondering if they are a decent choice, they don't have to be uber.. just decent.

Also how big would you make a unit of kommando's, and what weapon options would you give them? I really want to go field a unit of them, but am unsure as to what would be the most effective weapons to give them. Thanks in advance for any info!

shabbadoo
12-03-2010, 10:56
They are decent enough. With Snikkrot they are rather nasty, as they will show up where you want them to. How people hate Snikkrot. :D

marv335
12-03-2010, 11:05
As with all Ork units, you're probably best off maxing them out in size.
I find, that as I'm coming in close to an opponent, Burnas are best. They add a decent amount of close combat punch to a unit, and have a useful shooting attack, although you can't use both modes in the same turn. I like to fire one and use one in the following assault.
Snikrot is handy, removing the uncertainty of their arrival, and he's particularly powerful against IG artillery, capable of wiping out an entire squadron with ease.

shandy
12-03-2010, 11:09
I'm in a similar situation- going with Snikkrot and maxing out the unit with 2 burnas included.

With regard to models to save some cash I am think of doing some simple conversions to the normal ork boyz models- bandana's, marine backpacks, trophies etc to make them clear Kommando's.

Perfect Organism
12-03-2010, 12:11
I think there are two ways they can work. First of all, you can go with the classic maxed-out unit with two burnas and snikrot coming in from the table edge.

Alternatively, you can take a small unit with a couple of rokkit launchas and use them to infiltrate into a sweet spot, like a bunker or a good patch of cover; this way they deny enemy infiltrators the best positions and allow you to a chance to chuck a bit of firepower into the sides or rear of any enemy vehicles which push forward.

chadenej
12-03-2010, 12:32
Hi,

I second Perfect Organism with a maximum sized unit (15), Snikrot and 2 burnas.
One cheap mind trick is letting the opponent know about the kommandos, so he will avoid the board edge. So you'll have less distance to get his troops to Klose Kombat.

They're pretty fragile though, don't expect them to last long against good armored enemies or shooting without a cover save.
Snikrot is monster against weak armored troops, burnas are OK against MEq but average (6 attacks S4 on charge).

They are great however as a 1 task unit, such a breaking mayhem or disrupting opponent line.
I won with them one time against a tau army because I removed his FW keeping his objective.
Another I wiped out a GK squad thanks the burnas.

They're worth their points imo, and go well in any type of Ork armies.

Crovax20
12-03-2010, 13:46
I don't really want to use Snikrot however. II tend to stay away from special characters, because I don't really see snikrot joining my freeboota orks. Of course I could say its a different Kommando with his rules... but it feels wrong.

Sal
12-03-2010, 14:04
Snikrot with 8 or so Kommandoes and 2 burnas ambushing

or

A couple of small squads with 2 rokkits infiltrating (you don't even need a nob for these squads).

Depends on your need, but I find Snikrot excellent at dealing with pesky artillery-like units hugging your enemies back line. If you're not using Snikrot to ambush, then Kommandoes really need to infiltrate with some rokkits to be effective imo.

Edit: You can also convert some nice Kommandoes from the basic boyz sprue for variety and cost if you want. Apart from Snikrot, my Kommandoes are all converted :)

Bunnahabhain
12-03-2010, 14:13
Snikrot and his bunch of sneaky Kommandos are evil beyond belief. He feels suitably generic ( at least a few orks must have had the idea of sneaking about a bit before blowing stuff up) so it's no problem with him turning up.

My best experience with him is turning up behind a section of Griffons...
Turned up, bashed in both the stationary, open topped AV10 vehicles, and caused them both to explode. Rolled high, and the blasts killed 80% of the Orks, who promptly failed their morale check, and were left running across the board, unable to rally...
One of those wonderfully cinematic moments.

jspyd3rx
12-03-2010, 14:24
Same with me against BT. Snikkrot came in wiped two preds and vindi. The whole unit got wiped in explosions. They will do their job but will not last the game. Snikkrot does help in the mind game department. Especially now with BW's w/deff rollaz racing at the enemy and not wanting to stay back because of Snikkrot is great. Orks definetly got the best codex around IMO.

sephiroth87
12-03-2010, 14:50
I still like a small unit infiltrating with a couple of rokkits.

LonelyPath
12-03-2010, 19:18
Kommandoz can work pretty well, but if you roll badly for Outflanking they can be in serious trouble. I'm not to fond of them myself, but that's more to do with the style of my army over their performance on the table. If used right they can be down right nasty as a support/annoyance mob.

Mannimarco
12-03-2010, 19:25
they're an excellent harrasment unit when used in combination with a fast moving main army, they'll come onto the board and your opponent will be forced to choose between the orks already in his lines messing up his firebase (and using the vehicles as cover) or atack the rest of the ork army charging across the board at him

a word of caution though, snikrot and his boys are pretty fragile and cant be expected to survive the game

Gray Hunter
12-03-2010, 19:39
Kommandoes are like pretty much all Ork units. They can do a lot of damage very quickly, but if you leave them out on a limb for too long they will get crushed.

Have them show up, force the enemy to react to them, then when he has his eye off the ball move in to support with the rest of your boyz.

BrotherOfBrass
12-03-2010, 19:50
Hi. I never leave home without a small mob of Kommandos (10 inc. Nob and 1 Burna). They've never decimated whole armies, but they keep my opponents on thier toes. As a small, cheap mob it doesn't bother me if their outflank goes wrong or they get blatted quickly and if they get ignored they can wallop a unit or contest an objective. I find them to be a useful cog in the big green machine.

Grax
12-03-2010, 20:55
I'm going to have to be the odd one out, and say that while I agree that 2 burnas + Snikkrot is the way to go, you don't need to max the unit out.

The problem is, they die to shooting pretty easily no matter how many Orks are in the unit, and they tend to easily win close combat (depending on the target of course, but you get to choose what that target is). The end result is they tend to win their first combat easily, and then get shot to death immediately afterwards.

I've been experimenting with 8 kommandos w/2 burnas + Snikkrot (9 models total). It'll save you 60-70 points, it's about as good in close combat, you don't lose that much if they die later, and it's less likely to win immediately, allowing you to hopefully win in the second round of combat, to deny your opponent the chance to shoot the kommandos before you go again.

Moriarty
12-03-2010, 23:02
I don't really want to use Snikrot however. II tend to stay away from special characters, because I don't really see snikrot joining my freeboota orks. Of course I could say its a different Kommando with his rules... but it feels wrong.

Nah, you just need to add 'Counts As'.

For Snikrot use Genestealer, for Kommandos use Ork hybryds.

SandQueen
12-03-2010, 23:08
Ive never seen them fielded. The two Ork players at my LGS refuse to use them. One is all bikes and the other is a green tide and doesnt beleive in infiltration.