PDA

View Full Version : Arming the Vulture

SanguinaryDan
12-03-2010, 17:39
I bought the all resin Vulture, watched the box collect dust, sold it to buy the hybrid kit. Same dust collection. Same sold to buy the new toy. So now I've got a Sky Talon to use as a Vulture. (If it ever shows up that is. :rolleyes: ) Regardless, now it's time to decide what weapons to mount on my Vulture Mk.II.

Based on actual experience has anyone found a good weapons mix for multipurpose combat? I don't want it to be pure AT or AP, but I'm not sure what combo of options will give me the best ability to threaten any type of target. I've got the 6 pack of HKs, Hellstrikes, Punishers and RPs and can make any of the other weapons. (I know, the Punishers are pure AP. But it seemed like a good idea at the time. :angel: )

So what do y'all think? Can a Vulture be made multirole and still be viable? Or should I just go with turning one type of target into tiny, smoking pieces?

Noserenda
12-03-2010, 19:00
Personally Vultures are best as AP mounts, their AT options are unreliable or expensive tbh (Use Vendettas for AT).

Most efficient load-out is 2 lots of Rocket pods, but the Punishers do look sweeet :chrome:

silentsmoke
12-03-2010, 19:24
I have two, one with four rocket pods and the other with twin linked punishers. Looks sweet and both very effective.

MajorWesJanson
12-03-2010, 20:03
Vultures with 4 rocket pods are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Let Vendettas deal with the tanks.

If Vultures make it into the next guard codex, they better let them take twin linked las cannons, not just singles. Then they can compete with the vendetta.

SanguinaryDan
12-03-2010, 22:58
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not too surprised to hear that I'm better off hunting infantry than armor with the Vulture. But I am kind of surprised that folks don't think it can handle dual purpose well enough to be worthwhile.

But.... Ya knew that but was comin' didn't ya?:D
If I wanted dual purpose I'd take a pair of RPs and, what? Are twin-linked Missile Launchers effective enough or would I do better with racks of HKs? Or do I have to mount Lascannons? Am I asking too much of the airframe? Can I make it work or do I just need to bite the bullet and stick the Punisher Cannon under the wings?

I've always been kind of disappointed in how limited the Vulture "feels" in terms of weapons mix. I've wanted more, oomph I guess. It's why I really want it to work like a Cobra/Apache and be more badass than the Mi-24 -> Valkyrie.:evilgrin:

duffybear1988
12-03-2010, 23:01
take punishers, put rocket pods on valkyries with multi lasers, leave anti tank to vendettas

RCgothic
12-03-2010, 23:17
The Vulture is handicapped by the compulsory Heavy Bolter in the nose. It's just crap. high on my most-wanted list are some alternatives such as a Heavy Flamer.
As for AT potential, you have:
Two twin-las, which doesn't compete with the Vendetta.
Hellstrike Missiles, which are worse than the heavy bolter.
Six hunter-killers, which will be reasonable for one turn and then leave you unarmed.

Those are all pretty mediocre. On the other hand, AP has twin-punisher, or four rocket pods, which is awesomeness squared.

Bunnahabhain
13-03-2010, 00:39
Very few things do multi role jobs well. The game mechanics, especially the vehicle rules, just don't support it. Manticores are a very rare
example.

The AP loadouts just win hands down. I've seen people use the Punisher cannons to count as MRPs( on valkyries, not vultures) - hundreds of shots saturate an area as well as dozens of rockets

SanguinaryDan
13-03-2010, 16:20
@Bunnahabhain: That's genius! And I'm digging the whole Spooky vibe of that image. I could put them on the inner pylons and have the ammo feeds lead to the fuselage.

Right, so go for AP oomph and the Vulture has a viable role. Now I've just got to wait for the damned thing to arrive.:p

If you don't know who Spooky is just Google "AC-47", you'll be glad you did.:evilgrin:

RCgothic
13-03-2010, 16:26
The other decent thing about MRPs is that you can move 12", and because they're only S4, lay down four large blasts and a heavy bolter.

MetalGecko23
13-03-2010, 16:36
The AP loadouts just win hands down. I've seen people use the Punisher cannons to count as MRPs( on valkyries, not vultures) - hundreds of shots saturate an area as well as dozens of rockets
Wait so I could have a Vulture with 4 gatling guns and call the MRPs? That might be the coolest thing ever.

SanguinaryDan
19-03-2010, 00:07
At last it's here! Beautiful kit. It's perfect for use as a Vulture.

But horrible instructions. If you haven't already built a Valkyrie you'll be in a ton of trouble if you follow their instructions. They did a quick and dirty cut-n-paste from the Valk set and neglected to remove some parts from the tail boom construction. If you glue them on you'll never get the booms to attach to the body. Then there are those two little parts that that go on the boom behind the door in the Valkyrie instructions that I've never been able to find anyway.

And as usual these days it's real hard to tell flash from parts on a couple of pieces. I can't wait to start building it.:D