PDA

View Full Version : Stormraven Questions

Khorneguy
13-03-2010, 20:35
With the lack of model coming out for this, i've decided to build my own. I got a Valkyrie kit and rearranged it a bit and i'm nearly done. Then two questions hit me

1. What is it armed with? I've heard twin-linked assault cannons and that's it. Can those who've seen the book firsthand shed any light on the armament?

2. Also, i know it has a frontal assault ramp, but does it have side access hatches too?

Tiller5
13-03-2010, 20:38
Try looking at the Blood Angel Summary thread in News and Rumours? Or, failing that, wait until you have the Codex in your hands?

Shamutanti
13-03-2010, 21:20
From what I remember of the book:

It's got 4 Missiles, a twin linked assault cannon, twin linked heavy bolter. It can upgrade the bolters to Typhoon missiles. It can upgrade the A. cannons to TL Lascannons/Plasma. It can purchase Crusader Bolter sponsers.

You can deploy from any point from the base.

Aiwass
13-03-2010, 22:02
I'm thinking the same way, a converted valk with a land raider front arranged or something like. Don't forget add grapples to carry the dread!

havokas
13-03-2010, 22:51
why not wait until the codex comes out? jumping the gun a bit

Khorneguy
13-03-2010, 23:05
why not wait until the codex comes out? jumping the gun a bit

I want to be able to field one straight away when it comes out

bossfearless
13-03-2010, 23:13
Access points front, sides and rear, as well as a set of rear grapples to carry a dreadnaught. It's described in the codex as a smaller cousin of the Thunderhawk. It doesn't say where on the vehicle the weapons are mounted, so it's really pretty open to interpretation on that part.

Madgear Thundaklutch
13-03-2010, 23:33
I always thought the land raider sides, minus the extra thickness of the treads looked like it could be made into a flying vehicle. Basically, contrust the raider but cut down all the posts inbetween the interior and exterior sides and mash them together. Splice a Valk in there somewhere and you've got gold

jamesterjlrb
13-03-2010, 23:40
I think its a good idea. i was genuinely planning to start mine today but didn't happen as i can't get a valkyrie till Thurs. Planning to have at least two. I'd be interested to see how you're doing yours Khorneguy, i'm planning a flying rhino style conversion.

One of the things i'm pretty sure on is having the dread inside, not outside. I spent a long time thinking and cannot think of a position for the dread that i like and that doesn't look very silly.

Arvendragon
14-03-2010, 00:20
I'm looking forward to seeing all these conversions before I start mine...

Personally, I'm thinking of just being lazy, and getting a Land Raider and glueing wings on.
:D

They DO have the same transport capacity, right? 16 Each?

Tethylis
14-03-2010, 00:32
I'm looking forward to seeing all these conversions before I start mine...

Personally, I'm thinking of just being lazy, and getting a Land Raider and glueing wings on.
:D

I believe the transport capacity is 12 infantry & 1 dread IIRC

Khorneguy
14-03-2010, 01:07
"and" one dread? or is it "or" one dread

CoolKidRoc
14-03-2010, 01:17
The Model for this should be coming out in June along with other Apoch model in a large release. Possible along with another codex, maybe Grey Knights as the fluff in the Storm Raven talks about the Grey Knights using it long before the Blood Angels ever heard of it.

Tethylis
14-03-2010, 01:52

You get both, 12 infantry (or 6 termies/jump packers) and 1 dread.

So am thinking 12 Death Company and a Death Company Dread :evilgrin:

Putty
14-03-2010, 04:10
just magnetize the weapons, you can't go wrong that way.

Chem-Dog
14-03-2010, 04:25
Valkyrie
valk
Valk
valkyrie

So I'm the ONLY one who was thinking of an enlarged Landspeeder?

12 - Jumpacks count as 2 slots each

AND...additionally included.

Writerski7
14-03-2010, 04:41
There's a picture of the Stormraven hidden in one of the recent 40K publishings (codexes and other material). All I remember is the picture, not the location.

A black and white picture of a space marine commander boldy surveying the battlefield. Above him Landspeeders are moving forward, advancing agressivly through the grey skies. Behind a them follows in tow a strange vehicle, something akin to a Land speeder fused with a Thunderhawk gunship; it's most notable feature is the large assault ramp at the front of it's boxy design . . .

That's all my memory can recall. I think I recall the commander being accompanied by a wolf, but I haven't found a 5th edition Space Wolf codex recently to verify it.

When I do find the picture I'll post it up here. Wish me luck!!!

Writerski7
14-03-2010, 04:57
Okay, possible picture on Page 6 of the SW Codex, but could be a wingless Thunderhawk.

Still hunting.

MegaPope
14-03-2010, 10:32
Hope I can afford one of these when they come out. Going to Guard-ize it...pure gunship. Or perhaps corrupt it lol - finally a way to make Chaos Dreads useful ;) :D

Chaos and Evil
14-03-2010, 10:48
There's a picture of the Stormraven hidden in one of the recent 40K publishings (codexes and other material). All I remember is the picture, not the location.

A black and white picture of a space marine commander boldy surveying the battlefield. Above him Landspeeders are moving forward, advancing agressivly through the grey skies. Behind a them follows in tow a strange vehicle, something akin to a Land speeder fused with a Thunderhawk gunship; it's most notable feature is the large assault ramp at the front of it's boxy design . . .

That's all my memory can recall. I think I recall the commander being accompanied by a wolf, but I haven't found a 5th edition Space Wolf codex recently to verify it.

When I do find the picture I'll post it up here. Wish me luck!!!

I think you're thinking of the White Scars artwork that features a medium sized aircraft, and some rather plain looking (IMO) Marine medium tanks.

burni
14-03-2010, 11:29
The Model for this should be coming out in June along with other Apoch model in a large release.

This is a rather bold statement, can I ask how 'solid' you feel the source of it is? Apart from some rather vague Eldar superheavy rumours, there has been no info on a new Apoc release and the last Apoc releases accompanied a new book.

Aiwass
14-03-2010, 11:52

I can't see this. How you plan to make it?

Archangel_Ruined
14-03-2010, 13:00
Erm, do you not think that forgeworld thing we saw a few months ago might not be EXACTLY what it will look like? Just thinking out loud...

ArtificerArmour
14-03-2010, 14:12
Just stick a balloon on top of a land raider.

jspyd3rx
14-03-2010, 14:29
I think by Xmas. It just seems like the perfect gift for the marines. Most likely a grey knight codex by then that can ally with other forces enabling all chapters to take it.

CoolKidRoc
14-03-2010, 15:32
This is a rather bold statement, can I ask how 'solid' you feel the source of it is? Apart from some rather vague Eldar superheavy rumours, there has been no info on a new Apoc release and the last Apoc releases accompanied a new book.

Was talking to the owner of one of my LGS's and he quite boldly said June it'd be out as we were talking about the Storm Raven. Asked him if he was serious about it and he said yeah, asked his source and said he heard if from a guy who knew a guy at GW, as most rumors go. So Yes might be a little bold, but I don't think he would've told me and then back it up if he wasn't at least a bit confident in it.

havokas
16-03-2010, 01:08
heres a pic, dosent look like a true thunderhawk, no big gun, no transports underneath

Gazak Blacktoof
16-03-2010, 01:19
I don't think the main gun would be visible from that angle if that picture is of a T-hawk. Looking at it side by side with a forgeworld T-hawk there are some differences so it could be the storm raven, but I tend to think that its artistic license. For starters I'm inclined to think that picture is older than the storm raven concept, and so whilst its clearly some kind of space marine flyer that you could happily base a model off, it might not be what the GW model looks like.

The blood angels roundup seems to say that there is at least one pic of the new bird floating about. I'd just wait and see.

CoolKidRoc
16-03-2010, 02:35
Well looks like the Spearhead Release is the perfect time for the Storm Raven to come out, both being June ;)

havokas
16-03-2010, 10:34
hey i just noticed the picture i posted is the one from the GW site about spearhead, so June's looking good. the pics from around the release of the new landraider.

Karhedron
16-03-2010, 12:21
Erm, do you not think that forgeworld thing we saw a few months ago might not be EXACTLY what it will look like? Just thinking out loud...

Could well be but it is also rumoured to be something different. Perhaps by the time it reaches release it will be the same (convergent development). Even if it is released as a different vehicle I can see FW selling a ton of them as proxies.

There is supposed to be a FW open day in a few weeks so I guess we will know more then.

I think that would be too small (unless you are talking about [i]really[/i[] enlarging it). It has a transport capacity of 12 so it should be the size of a Rhino at the bare minimum and probably closer to the size of a Land Raider or Valkyrie.

Make it too small and people will unrealistically hide it behind small terrain features. The problem with TLOS is that model size does become important.

Jagged
16-03-2010, 14:07
I think that would be too small (unless you are talking about [i]really[/i[] enlarging it). It has a transport capacity of 12 so it should be the size of a Rhino at the bare minimum and probably closer to the size of a Land Raider or Valkyrie.

Make it too small and people will unrealistically hide it behind small terrain features. The problem with TLOS is that model size does become important.

I don't know I wouldn't be at all surprised if the body is rather Rhino-like, but front loading. Given that they say its 12 transport plus Dread I am expecting the Dread to be forced to be carried externally, on the roof rack so to speak :)

jamesterjlrb
16-03-2010, 17:52
i'm thinking of taking a rhino and making it a bit taller so that it's taller than a dread. Then add on Valk wings and cockpit. Model a full height rear door et voila.

gitburna
16-03-2010, 18:19
I'd be very surprised if that WAS a stormraven as that particular painting is about 10 years old...

Inquisitor_Tolheim
16-03-2010, 20:57
I'd be very surprised if that WAS a stormraven as that particular painting is about 10 years old...

Which doesn't mean that the idea for the model might have been inspired from that painting. Whether the artist thought it was a "stormraven" or not, GW might have decided to co-opt the look for the new flier the space marines needed oh so badly.

viking657
16-03-2010, 21:16
someone just confirmed to me on another thread, spearhead one, that the forgeworld thing we all saw was actually called a Strike Eagle planned for next armour book but it would seem it would a good Storm Raven sub as I'm pretty sure the forge world model will arrive before the storm raven IMO

Theocracity
16-03-2010, 21:48
Given that they say its 12 transport plus Dread I am expecting the Dread to be forced to be carried externally, on the roof rack so to speak :)

A dreadnaught surfing in from orbit on a flying dropship.

Forget grimdark... that is grimradical!

Writerski7
17-03-2010, 02:42
Okay, found our first canidate ;)

Introducing large flying box craft that is possible canidate for the StormRaven.

Any thoughts?

@#$%!!! Somebody beat me to it!
:(:(:(

O well at least mines bigger:p

Addiction
17-03-2010, 22:05
Can anyone direct me to where "we all" saw the storm eagle?

Bunnahabhain
17-03-2010, 22:23
A dreadnaught surfing in from orbit on a flying dropship.

Forget grimdark... that is grimradical!

Ever seen Dark Star? John Carpenter's ( yes, the horror director people have actually heard of..) first full length film. Surfing in from orbit isn't so silly...

Boxy transport, heat resistant totally non-aerodynamic personnel and cargo transport....The space shuttle.

No, I'm serious. There are quotes from the pilots calling it a flying brick. Clearly therefore Imperial!

Writerski7
18-03-2010, 02:34
Of course, there's always this idea for the Stormraven :rolleyes:

The Custodian
18-03-2010, 02:50
heres a pic, dosent look like a true thunderhawk, no big gun, no transports underneath

Except it is a thunder hawk.... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Its the old Epic one that was running around before FW stepped in.

There is a gun, its just angled in such a way that you can see it, and because of this no transports.

Unlikecrashzach
27-04-2010, 03:55
Why is it that all of the conversions i've seen about the Stormraven is a land raider with valkyrie wings, this just looks absurd.

With all of the modeling for current flying vehicle designs, I highly doubt it will be a flying box. The best bet is a smaller version of a thunderhawk.

I admire your attempts at conversions, but the flying box just does not logically fit the space marines.

The Custodian
27-04-2010, 04:00
Way to necro this...

For future reference dont dredge up topics over 2 weeks old (In this case over a month) :p