PDA

View Full Version : Most "nerdy" army

The Marshel
14-03-2010, 12:58
I thought i might be fun to have a light hearted discussion on what would be considered the "nerdiest army of 40k.

its hard to deny that this is a bit of a dorky hobby so to speak, not that it matters to anyone in it. If it did, they probably wouldn't be playing.

But which armies scream nerd more then others?

personally i think guard and nids are the least dorky armies to be playing. one being similar to modern armies and the other being similar to aliens.

on the other hand, we have eldar, "space elves". And then there are the sisters of battle who personally i think take the cake for dorkiest army.

now, just to be clear this is by no means meant in a derogative way. all armies are certainly cool to all of us in various respects, but i feel no shame in admitting that, while i love my space marines, they aren't exactly "cool" by the usual society standards.

have fun

Thud
14-03-2010, 13:01
Dark Eldar.

It's like elves in space, but it's eeeeeevil elves in space. And try telling a DE player that they worship Slaanesh, it won't end well.

Asher
14-03-2010, 13:02
I dare not to speak their names; censorship is the only thing keeping my mind sane:

Fe**** Space Marines and F***y Space Wolves.

djinn8
14-03-2010, 13:10
There's an army that more dorky than the rest? I think my girlfriend would disagree.

ME: That's an Ordo Mallus Inquistor, not a Marine!
GF: Dork...

DJ3
14-03-2010, 13:55
Tau have to be in the discussion; they're the "Space Elves" of a different kind of nerd.

YOU THERE! Do you watch anime? Do you like giant robots? Do you buy anything that looks like it might have, at one time, been in Japan?

Well, we've got the army for you!

Spoik
14-03-2010, 13:58
Imperial Guard.

They appeal to the sort of people who buy magazines called things like 'Guns and Shooting' and have in-depth discussions about real-life weaponry that I find slightly disconcerting.

sigur
14-03-2010, 14:31
First, I'd like to say that the whole discussion is bogus. :) It's weird how people are constantly anxious about the "nerd factor" of what they do. Especially since everything's been declared as nerdy 10 years ago or more.

That said, and in the context of this thread, I also vote for IG. Guys who are into military stuffs tend to be a LOT more

disconcerting

than people who are into straight-up fantasy. And there's nothing more tiring than people who try to make a point about 40k fluff or rules by citing their patchy knowledge about what they think how stuff works in real life.

The Marshel
14-03-2010, 14:36
anxious about the "nerd factor"

I wouldn't say anxious, i feel aware is a better term.

Lord of Worms
14-03-2010, 14:42
Tau. I've always seen anime fans as a whole strata of nerd that eclipse my own geekiness in every possible way.

freddythebig
14-03-2010, 14:59
We are all nerds/dorks/geeks to anyone outside of the hobby.

Everyone has the potential to be a geek about something, even sport. I have fun conversations at work when I tell some of the guys that their fantasy football league is just Dungeons and Dragons for sports geeks :D

For 40K I have Guard, Marines and Sisters, all appeal to me for different reasons. I also have armies for Fantasy, Flames of War and Rules of Engagement. Yes, I suppose I am a Fantasy, Sci Fi and Historical geek and proud of it.

I am also 48 years old, old enough not to be bothered about what anyone else thinks about my hobbies, I have certainly seen some people with stranger ones :shifty:

I wanna be Me
14-03-2010, 15:09
I'm seriously not considering a hobby as nerdish.

There isn't a scale of nerdishness that can define one army more nerd than another. It's only if you let this shizzle become Nerdy you're becoming a nerd to the rest of the people.

I play WoW I paint Warhammer miniatures. I'm not considered nerd by my friends and people at work. Cause well i'm not nerd in any way :P I just like "weird/cool" hobbies :)

I'm 19 and probably way to selfconfident compared to the avarage teenager though

sliganian
14-03-2010, 15:36
Imperial Guard.

They appeal to the sort of people who buy magazines called things like 'Guns and Shooting' and have in-depth discussions about real-life weaponry that I find slightly disconcerting.

Also, have you noticed that Guard players -- as compared to other gamers overall-- have a 50% higher chance of having actually been in the military? I think they see Guard as the way to run things the way things SHOULD have been run back when they 'were in it' and if they had been in charge. :D

bigcheese76
14-03-2010, 15:39
Where the whole hobby itself is kinda nerdy a bit, I would have to put a vote in for Tau personally.

MetalGecko23
14-03-2010, 15:40
YOU THERE! Do you watch anime? Do you like giant robots? Do you buy anything that looks like it might have, at one time, been in JapanWell, we've got the army for you! Yup!
The Eldar..........;)
Wait....what? Did I blow your mind?

Imperial Guard.

Yep, and usually completely wrong too. Or atleast when I played a game with a retired member of the 3rd Armor Division, he was laughing and telling me how wrong the gaggle of nerds gun specking WW2 vehicles were.

Tau. I've always seen anime fans as a whole strata of nerd that eclipse my own geekiness in every possible way.
When the hot 'nerd girls' and sexy Japanese girls stop caring about anime so will I. Until then, sweaty fat guys and toy soldiers are still nerdier then anime.

My vote is Space Wolves. If I meet one more 12 year old who rabbles for 20 minutes about how awesome his Wolf Lord is I'm going to hit myself. Of course if it isn't a 12 year and his Lord its a chubby bald guy who thinks he is a viking. I don't need to hear you reference your 'axe' or your 'mead' every 2 minutes...

:)

Reimu
14-03-2010, 15:41
least dorky

aliens.

Bahahahahaha. The Alien fanbase might be a bit less dorky than, say the Star Wars or Star Trek ones, but only really because there isn't the volume of media the latter ones have to debate about. You'd be surprised how much the fans can take the smallest detail and blow it out of proportion. I've seen a discussion about the end of Alien 3 go on for hundreds of pages.

I play Tyranids btw. And I sort of agree. People don't see Alien as dorky as other sci-fi. And in some respects it isn't (less material to obsess over) and in others... it certainly is (theories behind the Alien genetic reflex, ect). It comes down to what people perceive more than anything. Alien doesn't get the flak that other sci-fis do - that's the only true difference.

The dorkiest, I guess, would be Eldar or Tau. Least dorky would probably be anything Imperial - the Roman Catholic militant thing made into a dystopian future of broken technology is cool in the same way that steampunk it, because it takes what essentially already exists or has existed in some capacity and exaggerates it to ridiculous degrees.

massey
14-03-2010, 15:41
Is it nerdy? Let me put it this way. The people at the game store know what I do for a living. The people at work do not know what I do for a hobby. :)

Fantasy football isn't usually considered nerdy because normal people do it. It isn't the game that makes it nerdy. It's the nerds that make it nerdy. :D

xerxeshavelock
14-03-2010, 15:58
Eldar. "Just like Humans but better." This is how Elves are written too, with some gobbledegook about them not being as "Vital" as some kind of justification so the author doesn't alienate his audience.

Tbh, any fanboyism gets my goat more than anything. Dan Abnett was asked which of two of his characters would win in a fight and he answered honestly "It depends whose setting I was writing in".

Pink Horror
14-03-2010, 16:10
Space Wolves are like progressive rock with an extra helping of 80s Dungeons and Dragons and Heinlein thrown in there too.

The level of seriousness can alter the nerd-level, which keeps Orks in line unless you are one of those players who has to try to talk like an Ork. This is why Tau gives off a huge nerd vibe: they have their own lingo, not just for the ignorable fluff, but spoken by actual Tau players when talking about their game pieces.

xerxeshavelock
14-03-2010, 16:13
This is why Tau gives off a huge nerd vibe: they have their own lingo, not just for the ignorable fluff, but spoken by actual Tau players when talking about their game pieces.

A friend's little brother wrote swear words all over his Tau tanks - inspired!

Reimu
14-03-2010, 16:15
Hahaha, it's true about the Tau.

Since most other armies are based off English in terms of the unit names, Tau seem geekier by comparison. When someone says "Hive Tyrant", you know what they're on about. "Inquisitor", "Chaos Lord", "Dreadnought", "Daemon", even stuff like "Justicar" has a firm enough grounding in actual spoken tongue to get the idea across. Stuff like "Shas've" sorta sets Tau by the wayside like that.

the1stpip
14-03-2010, 16:16
AHHH, they dont worship Slaanesh!!!!!

uh um, anyways, my nod goes to Tau. Anime is incredibly dorky, so an anime style wargaming army has to be the icing.

jason_sation
14-03-2010, 16:42
Imperial Guard.

Haha. I don't talk about guns and shooting, but I do buy WWII magazine whenever I see a copy. And I do watch the History Channel all day long.

massey
14-03-2010, 16:44
This is why Tau gives off a huge nerd vibe: they have their own lingo, not just for the ignorable fluff, but spoken by actual Tau players when talking about their game pieces.

Hmm... you appear to be correct. I cannot argue with this. :)

It's pretty sad when I, who have been playing this nerdy game for 12 years, can have a conversation with a Tau player and come away with zero understanding of what was said. Not just about background, but about which plastic figure he was referring to.

"My shas'la is equipped with a deathrain setup. The maun'vo does 3 wounds to your dez'lak. Using the shaun'sue tactic I move with to your vhun'so flank. The ghues'va are defeated!"
"Umm... I have a power sword."

xerxeshavelock
14-03-2010, 16:52
I dunno, try telling an Ork player he's lost and you'll as often as not get the same answer...:rolleyes:

Reimu
14-03-2010, 16:56
Yeah, but at least Ork language is comparable to English.

If an Ork player refers to his "Lootas", I'm not exactly sure, but I get the idea. "Shas're" completely confuses me due to the divorce from spoken tongue.

xerxeshavelock
14-03-2010, 16:58
Yeah, but at least Ork language is comparable to English.

If an Ork player refers to his "Lootas", I'm not exactly sure, but I get the idea. "Shas're" completely confuses me due to the divorce from spoken tongue.

I knew a 'Nid player who gradually started looking and sounding like a Termagant...

massey
14-03-2010, 17:04
I knew a 'Nid player who gradually started looking and sounding like a Termagant...

I knew an Eldar player who smelled like a sewer. :D

TimLeeson
14-03-2010, 17:11
You'd have to be a COMPLETE nerd to convert and make a whole army based on some backround bit of fluff that dates back to rogue trader, im looking at that guy with the enslaver army....oh wait thats me isnt it..damn!

Plastic Rat
14-03-2010, 17:26
Tau, they unite nerds from two entirely different genres. Anime/weeaboo nerds meet tabletop wargame nerds.

Weird converted armies like enslavers or Lost and the Damned are just cool. Shows you're dedicated to your particular flavor of nerd-dom, but doesn't make you a bigger nerd.

Not that any of this would stop me collecting Tau... or for that matter building a Lost and the Damned army.

ScItRiX
14-03-2010, 17:31
Also, have you noticed that Guard players -- as compared to other gamers overall-- have a 50% higher chance of having actually been in the military?

...so true. Of the 4 guard armies at my store...all of us are in the military or soon will be. (got 1 ROTC kid in there).

Vepr
14-03-2010, 18:08
This is rich. The nerdiest nerd and the geekiest geek. How about pick any army and the answer is correct. :p

BBWags
14-03-2010, 18:30
Yeah, the key is in the topic. The MOST nerdy army. We're all nerds, folks :-)

It's embracing the nerdiness that is key. And hygiene. Embrace hygiene. Then you're safe to embrace the inner nerd.

But yeah. To add to the actual conversation, the "most nerdy" army is definitely Tau. As others have added, it just is such a conglomeration of too many separate elements that are in themselves considered nerdy that Tau become the uber-nerd.

genestealer_baldric
14-03-2010, 19:03
Sisters of battle, power armour ladies and repenters, etc.. and genrally all the players i see using them take geekness to the extreame

Helicon_One
14-03-2010, 19:24
Not Tau as a whole, but the particular subsection of Tau players who insist on horrible anime crossover themes. If you stuck Gundam wings on your battlesuits and converted your Kroot into catgirl furries then I'm talking about you.

Also the Chaos players who have taken their devotion to Papa Nurgle so far that they adopted his stance on personal hygeine.

LonelyPath
14-03-2010, 19:35
If we look at the people that will happily sit down for a week converting a new unit to fit their fluff and sheer imagery a race that GW presently sells, I have to go with Orks as the nerdiest of them all. I know I often sit down for hours at a time when tinkering about with my models. However, I'm always the first to admit to being a nerd.

If we look at a model range as is, without modifications then I'd have to add another vote to the Tau for all the mecha zipping about. I wouldn't be surprised if the next codex featured Demiurg mechs called Chibi-suits to reflect the differences in size :P

All of the armies have nerd potential though. Heck, playing with toy soldier is pretty nerdy as it is ;)

Olja
14-03-2010, 19:41
Tau and Eldar are up there, with all there fancy technology and psychic powers. But don't discount the super hero aspect of many Space Marine and Chaos lists. How many Space Marines are just basically Wolverine with power armor?

Certain IG players will explain their ballistic and ordnance capabilities of their tanks in real life terms, as well as modern battle field tatics. But that is not nerdy, just sad.

ICEMANQ
14-03-2010, 20:27
Tau, by a mile. They are the only people to say things like Shas'o/Shas'el in threads/real life. They also make threads about the strangest of military concepts in relation to tau. They are the nerdiest 40k players by far.

MegaPope
14-03-2010, 20:29
First off, we're all nerds or geeks here, and the question that the OP posted is largely irrelevant. All armies are primus inter pares

(and yes, using actual Latin terminology almost certainly qualifies as nerdy on someone's scale ;). It means 'first among equals' for those who don't know...)

So we have an unusual hobby. So what? As others have said, keep yourself clean and smelling fresh, avoid becoming too overweight (and try to avoid neckbeards as well -it's not a good look ;) ) and makes sure you have other interests as well, and it simply will not matter :D

Hell, even I can pass for normal in society. Maybe. If you squint when looking at me...

Plastic Rat
14-03-2010, 20:30
First off, we're all nerds or geeks here, and the question that the OP posted is largely irrelevant. All armies are primus inter pares

(and yes, using actual Latin terminology almost certainly qualifies as nerdy on someone's scale ;). It means 'first among equals' for those who don't know...)

So we have an unusual hobby. So what? As others have said, keep yourself clean and smelling fresh, avoid becoming too overweight (and try to avoid neckbeards as well -it's not a good look ;) ) and makes sure you have other interests as well, and it simply will not matter :D

Hell, even I can pass for normal in society. Maybe. If you squint when looking at me...

Shh... it's a joke. Just play along. No reason to get all 'voice of reason' on everyone.

carldooley
14-03-2010, 20:49
you want nerdy, play chess with dice. (can neither confirm or deny participation:shifty:)

I think they see Guard as the way to run things the way things SHOULD have been run back when they 'were in it' and if they had been in charge. :D

anyone who wants to run an army the way that IG are run - commissars, tanks fragging themselves, massed guys running straight at the guns, etc. should be hogtied and left in the middle of coyote infested wilds in the dead of night for the betterment of humanity.

The pestilent 1
14-03-2010, 20:58
Anyone who tries to convince themselves they don't roll die to simulate the little plastic men killing eachother has serious and deep psychological issues they should be looking in to.

susu.exp
14-03-2010, 21:08
The answer has to be Orks. Starting with the assumtion that playing 40k itself is nerdy, we observe the following similarities between players and Orks:
- Believe that painting a vehicle red makes it go faster (itīs in the dex)
- Think war in the 41st millenium is fun
- Form huge mobs that yell "Waaargh!".
- Made up trivia: Kev Adams misread his assignment when designing the RT minis. GW was a lot less professional then and he had been handed a napkin on which he was told to sculpt a range of Space Nerds. The dribbly felt pen writing made him read Space Orks and Rick liked the sound of that.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
14-03-2010, 21:10
You'd have to be a COMPLETE nerd to convert and make a whole army based on some backround bit of fluff that dates back to rogue trader...<snip>

Quoted for absolute truth. No default army gets to take the reward, it's the guys who convert massive forces based on obscure fluff references who get to take the win.

Also, anyone who still finds a way to put squats on the table.

DDogwood
14-03-2010, 21:54

(and yes, using actual Latin terminology almost certainly qualifies as nerdy on someone's scale ;)

How nerdy is it to point out mistakes in someone's Latin? Primus is singular, but the subject of your sentence is plural. You should have said "primi inter pares", or "Every army is...".

:angel:

MegaPope
14-03-2010, 22:10
How nerdy is it to point out mistakes in someone's Latin?

Hehe :D. It can't be that much further along the sliding scale of nerdiness that using dog-Latin in the first place ;)

Shh... it's a joke. Just play along. No reason to get all 'voice of reason' on everyone.

Its force of habit...'voice of reason' is my middle name. Well, actually it isn't. But I'm thinking of getting it changed by deed poll :angel:

But, yes, the fluff-monsters among us who still work obscure bits of long-forgotten backstory into contemporary armies and games, collectively qualify as the geekiest of geeks.

I am one of them. And proud :D

ooglatjama
14-03-2010, 22:31
Tau or Imperial Guard. I always thought IG were pretty nerdy.

zeep
14-03-2010, 22:38

A "shrewish bad tempered woman?" Really?

Deusmex
14-03-2010, 22:39
Theyre all nerdy as hell except Salamanders and Flesh Tearers.

And Ulthwe Eldar

and Black Dark Eldar (purple DE are unbelievably nerdy)

And Ork Goffs.

and whatever next army I go for..

ooglatjama
14-03-2010, 22:41
and Black Dark Eldar (purple DE are unbelievably nerdy)

Explain yourself immediately

Deusmex
14-03-2010, 22:47
Explain yourself immediately

In the words of Gogol Bordello "All your sanity and wits they will all vanish"

Bunnahabhain
14-03-2010, 22:58
To answer the original question, whichever one you don't collect...

All thing in moderation, and you'll be fine. Alternate thursdays, I do wargaming, and a dance society, and both groups of people know about the other. The fact it's folk dancing probably doesn't help the geek argument, but it's fun, exercise, involves far more women than wargaming, and I occasionally get paid for it, so can't hurt....

Alessander
14-03-2010, 23:12
which toy soldier game being played by non-children is the most geeky?

SandQueen
14-03-2010, 23:55
Necrons.

The two Necron players that come to my LGS are both slavering man-beasts that ramble constantly about the Terminator, the Matrix films, 2001, and anything else where machines are the antagonists. Its almost sad

susu.exp
15-03-2010, 00:12
Necrons.

The two Necron players that come to my LGS are both slavering man-beasts that ramble constantly about the Terminator, the Matrix films, 2001, and anything else where machines are the antagonists. Its almost sad

It also misses what the Necrons are about. All these references are about a dystopian future, Necrons are the past returning. They represent the impossibility to escape history. "A history of violence" would be a better movie analogy.

SandQueen
15-03-2010, 00:21
It also misses what the Necrons are about. All these references are about a dystopian future, Necrons are the past returning. They represent the impossibility to escape history. "A history of violence" would be a better movie analogy.

One of the guys was talking about coverting his Pariahs into Geth from Mass Effect. A more fitting Mass Effect based modelling project would be a Reaper, what with them being THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of years old.

Tenken
15-03-2010, 00:33
Orks. When talking about my orks I can't help but use a horrible cockney english accent and drop random consonants. Plus orks combine fantasy with sci-fi, how can you get nerdier?

Maybe eldar could compete what with them just being elves with space armor and guns. But eldar are also super lame.

sephiroth87
15-03-2010, 01:03
The very discussion of this topic is like midgets arguing over who's shorter.

LKHERO
15-03-2010, 01:19
I've seen the most breathers play Space Marines.. but then again, Space Marines (all variants) are the most played army.

e2055261
15-03-2010, 01:32
It's got to be the Eldar. I mean when laypeople think nerdy dnd they think elves.

Hellebore
15-03-2010, 01:34
Also, anyone who still finds a way to put squats on the table.

Oh, well I suppose the largest thread in 40k background around reenvisaging the Squats and a a hlaf dozen different army lists probably counts then...

As for the nerdiest, well I do agree that the tau are the only ones with their own made up language used to describe their units (although not in all cases, Crisis suits and broadsides aren't written in tau). They also call their line trooper a fire warrior instead of Shas'la (which means 'fire pleb/citizen').

The eldar would totally be the nerdiest if all their units were written in eldar:

Striking Scorpion:
Kyer'lithaneol tir fel anann shal rok: The blade strikes from the hand of the shadowy sting on thursdays under a full moon when sober.

Ranger:
Valarn'erineth rinoled tir vonquateirn: The unquiet hand brings death from afar when the blossoms are in blume on a clear night.

I mean, it would just take FOREVER to write and describe each name and you just KNOW that some geeky eldar players will INSIST on making their mon keigh opponent sit through each of their names when describing their actions:

"Ok so my Kyer'lithaneol tir fel anann shal rok move through cover and attack your mutant mon keigh. They make their attacks with their hyretinn tarnathol and the Exarch strikes with his Feldyan con varqueth in the sharnvath style."

Hellebore

madd0ct0r
15-03-2010, 01:52
Oh, well I suppose the largest thread in 40k background around reenvisaging the Squats and a a hlaf dozen different army lists probably counts then...

mmm.

Armies in progress:
Sisters (codex withdrawn),
Skittari (codex non-existant),
Squats (don't ask),

Epic Ork Lootas (game no longer supported)
Epic Lost and the damned (see above + no 40k codex either)

Orks for space hulk (yeah)

and I had to really fight hard to not pick up a LoTR Fell beast model for that eldar exodite force I'm definitely not starting.

Actually, I don't know if this is nerdy or just tragic.

Fuzzymoldyork
15-03-2010, 04:38
So Tau, Orks, and IG are looking like the nerdiest armies right now.

From the little I play I am unable to make a good assessment of which army is the nerdiest. However, for the sake of arguement, I am going to say anything Slaanesh chaos is the nerdiest army in warhammer for the following reasons:

-One of the armies primary colors is pink. Now matter how tough you are, pink just makes you look a little weaker.
-Around my store, when people think Slaanesh they think sex, and there is no hobby unsexier in the world than warhammer. PERIOD.

But yea, Tau is probably the nerdiest for the whole language thing...

Vaktathi
15-03-2010, 05:16
Why does this thread say more about the posters than the people they are trying to label?

Corporeal
15-03-2010, 05:23
I gotta give the vote to Tau players, but not the army.

If you talk about tau as an army that take can openers that can split a landraider in two, powered suits that can take along weapons that can turn a termie into a smoking heap of slag, than the nerd name doesn't stick.

but if you start calling your suits shas'vre in real life and writing out the full name on forums.. you are most definitely a nerd.

madd0ct0r
15-03-2010, 05:25
forums.. you are most definitely a nerd.

edited for succinctness.

Griffindale
15-03-2010, 05:59
Tyranids.

They're not an army someone could readily identify with. In my experience the people that have played them mostly in the past have been WAAC math nerds looking to find the easiest, cheaziest list. Hence, nidzilla and all of the whining when they were recently fixed.

I guess even geeks need to win at something and without crushing someone in a game of toy soldiers they just lose it.

The Ginger Ninja
15-03-2010, 06:27
I think that there is no such thing as a "nerdy army". but their is such a thing as a nerdy player, anyone who rambles on about their army, Takes fluff seriously, who is the most regular at the club and complains about their outdated army whenever a new one comes out.

This is starting to look vaguely like someone I know,
wait a minute... :eek:

Born Again
15-03-2010, 10:05
And there's nothing more tiring than people who try to make a point about 40k fluff or rules by citing their patchy knowledge about what they think how stuff works in real life.

QFT. It really gets on my nerves when people complain that a tank in 40k could never, ever, possibly exist because of a poor comparison to an Abrams. We're talking 40,000 years in to the future here, people. It wasn't that long ago that guns you could shoot more than once were just a general's dream. It's apples and oranges .

As for the nerdiest, well I do agree that the tau are the only ones with their own made up language used to describe their units (although not in all cases, Crisis suits and broadsides aren't written in tau). They also call their line trooper a fire warrior instead of Shas'la (which means 'fire pleb/citizen').

The eldar would totally be the nerdiest if all their units were written in eldar:

Striking Scorpion:
Kyer'lithaneol tir fel anann shal rok: The blade strikes from the hand of the shadowy sting on thursdays under a full moon when sober.

Ranger:
Valarn'erineth rinoled tir vonquateirn: The unquiet hand brings death from afar when the blossoms are in blume on a clear night.

I mean, it would just take FOREVER to write and describe each name and you just KNOW that some geeky eldar players will INSIST on making their mon keigh opponent sit through each of their names when describing their actions:

"Ok so my Kyer'lithaneol tir fel anann shal rok move through cover and attack your mutant mon keigh. They make their attacks with their hyretinn tarnathol and the Exarch strikes with his Feldyan con varqueth in the sharnvath style."

Hellebore

Let's not forget that the second edition wargear book lists the Eldar name for all Eldar weapons in it, so I don't think they're too far behind the Tau at all. Although I think the orks are the only ones who've had they're whole language written out in a codex, even if it is very similar to Imperial Gothic... err I mean English! :p

Bingo the Fun Monkey
15-03-2010, 11:19
Space Marines. Nerds not only flock to them, but they turn unsuspecting laypeople into nerds with their extensive and often contradictory fluff/canon. They're so nerdy they haven't even been mentioned in this thread. SMs are the catalyst by which common people (even kids who don't normally read) are drawn in. I mean, c'mon, what can affirm your manhood better than playing genetically modified MARINES from the FUTURE in SPACE who fight Evil and back PROTECT humanity? At least they're a cheaper alternative to guns and hummers*.

Honestly, I don't know what I'm talking about. Every single person I interact with on a daily basis is a nerd/dork of some type or another.

*For the record guns are amazing devices and pretty much sum up the human condition. As for hummers, and this is only my opinion, I don't think they belong in the civilian world.

htj
15-03-2010, 11:32
I love that this thread exists. A debate as to which type of toy soldier is nerdiest within one particular game system of toy solidiering. Truly, the internet has created a place for every voice.

Anyway, I vote Guard. They attract people who like to come up with complex systems of squad and rank markings. You know, people like me.

EldritchRaider
15-03-2010, 12:00
well i suppose to people outside of the hobby we are all at least a bit "neardy" or "geeky" but seriously who cares? :)
all sorts of people are really into all sorts of things.
And to answer the actual topic- I would have to say either Tau... who aside from just being like anime 40k sort of things, are the big hard science techno wizzes.
Or I would say SM...all the talk of purity and righteousness gets a little tiresome....

- Human
15-03-2010, 13:47
I don't know why anyone is taking offense or implying that anyone should take offense.

I see this as a hilarious way for nerds to joke about which army is the pinnacle of nerdiness... not a scene of chest-beating. I operate under the assumption that everyone in this threat fully acknowledges their nerdiness, and anyone who doesn't is lying to him or herself.

Lighten up! :P

As for me, I'd say it has to be sisters. :P

Lord of Worms
15-03-2010, 14:00
I don't know why anyone is taking offense or implying that anyone should take offense.

I see this as a hilarious way for nerds to joke about which army is the pinnacle of nerdiness... not a scene of chest-beating. I operate under the assumption that everyone in this thread fully acknowledges their nerdiness, and anyone who doesn't is lying to him or herself.

I concur. Anybody professing to stereotypical "coolness" is lying to themselves.:D

The Marshel
15-03-2010, 14:05

I see this as a hilarious way for nerds to joke about which army is the pinnacle of nerdiness... not a scene of chest-beating. I operate under the assumption that everyone in this threat fully acknowledges their nerdiness, and anyone who doesn't is lying to him or herself.

As for me, I'd say it has to be sisters. :P

exactly the point. just a bit of fun

azimaith
15-03-2010, 14:23
Space Marines. I can remember the first time I heard the army name. It was just laughable. "Space marine" come on now, granted, I suppose its adequately descriptive, but its far from a name I'd find synonymous with "Angels of Death." Why they call them Space Marines and not Adeptus Astartes, I do not know.

Right up next to them are Dark Eldar, then Eldar. Eldar at least avoid a little bit by having a more interesting sounding name and often, rather nice models with some artistic flair, some models excluded.

Dark Eldar, are utterly irredeemable. They are inherently tainted as is anything called "dark." Add in their completely ridiculous looking model range and they're just like a horrible science fiction villain.

Also if you shorten their name it comes out to "Deldar" which is awful in its own right.

If I had to rank them it would be...
1: Space Marines. (With Ultramarines and Space Wolves being the nerdiest by virtue of their names.)

2: Dark Eldar. (Tied with Space Marine, egregious models and name.)

3: Orks. (They're nerdy, lets face it. The nerd content is easily equal to "Space Marines" and "Deldar" but the fact they don't take themselves seriously is a moderating factor. Serious nerd=more nerdy than someone who knows its nerdy and doesn't try to defend it as otherwise.)

4: Witch Hunters (Boob armor and S&M gear make them look like they're trying too hard.)

5: Eldar (Because you don't know they're elves in space until you actually learn about them, at which point you're a nerd.)

6: Tau (High tech space aliens are cooler than space elves.)

7: Daemons of Chaos. (Because their models are nice, but knocked for having plastic nudity which increases the nerd factor.)

8: Daemonhunters (Because their models are nice enough and their name is good enough.)

9: Necrons. (Because robots are cool and Terminator is in popular culture, not just nerd culture.)

10: Imperial Guard. (Because they're just army grunts.)

11: Tyranids (Because the alien swarm is even more in popular culture than said terminators.)

In fact if I had to make a scaling chart of nerdiness it would be something like this:
Pure
Being dead.< Being totally catatonic<Living alone in the woods as a crazy mountain man< Vaguely understanding that a certain sport or hobby exists

Unsullied
Having a favorite team of any major sport that involves violence as an integral part.< Having a favorite player of any major sport that involves violence as an integral part< Having a favorite actor or writer<Becoming a serial reader of a series of programs or books by a single author(IE Harry Potter).<Becoming a serial reader or watcher of programs by a particular author, writer, director, or producer (IE All things by JK Rowling)

Tainted
Playing Video games.< Playing Computer Games< Talking to others on forums.< Developing extensive knowledge of a fictional setting or a world in a video format from television of movies.< Developing extensive knowledge of a fictional setting or world in a book or printed format.< Knowing what a trope is outside of academic study.< Playing a free MMO

Soiled
Playing a MMO of any sort that costs money< Talking on gaming forums< Knowing other types of dice varieties exist< Currently reading and buying Reading Japanese comics< Getting angry I called it "Japanese Comics" and not "manga" or some other specialist term. < Currently reading and buying Reading American comics< Buying any game in a foreign language.< Owning more than six sided variety of dice.< Owning more than four six sided dice.< Referring to dice as "D6" or some other shorthand version< Dungeons and Dragons or any other variations

Debased
<Playing with toy soldiers beyond the age of ten< Taking playing with toy soldiers seriously< Making up histories and characters for your toy soldiers< Submitting Homebrew rules (fandex,ect) to others< Using the word "canon" outside of academia< Knowing what LARP is.< Making a scaling chart of nerdiness

Damned
Seriously considering doing LARP< Modern LARP with women< Fantasy LARP with women< Modern LARP without Women< Fantasy LARP without women< Speaking any fictional language fluently <

Nerd Apotheosis
< Recording a LARP session for posterity.< Submitting your a LARP session with your friends in it to the internet < Submitting a LARP session you are in along with women to the internet< Submitting a LARP session you are in without women in it to the internet.< Defending a LARP session you are in with women on the internet after submitting it to said website.< Defending a LARP session you are in without women on the internet after submitting it to said website. < Currently typing an angry response to this post

ManicMunky
15-03-2010, 14:28
We are all nerds! Take a look around your local gaming stores and you'll see nerds, geeks, goths, misfits, punks, rockers, 12-year-old chavs desperate to hide their new hobby from their football and cheap cider-loving pals, social outcasts and borderline (or sometimes not..) autistic folk.

:D

Pink Horror
15-03-2010, 15:32
So Tau, Orks, and IG are looking like the nerdiest armies right now.

From the little I play I am unable to make a good assessment of which army is the nerdiest. However, for the sake of arguement, I am going to say anything Slaanesh chaos is the nerdiest army in warhammer for the following reasons:

One of the armies primary colors is pink. Now matter how tough you are, pink just makes you look a little weaker.

First, Slaanesh doesn't own pink. Second, pink is the toughest color. Any other color is a safer choice - the choices of the weak. Pure pink is the only way to demonstrate your strength!

We are all nerds! Take a look around your local gaming stores and you'll see nerds, geeks, goths, misfits, punks, rockers, 12-year-old chavs desperate to hide their new hobby from their football and cheap cider-loving pals, social outcasts and borderline (or sometimes not..) autistic folk.

I don't know where you live, but your gaming stores have a lot more people than the ones I've been to recently. I wish my gaming store had rockers. I could sit there all day, telling stories about how GW was in the good old days.

Tourniquet
15-03-2010, 16:50
i'd go with
Tyranids: Strong links to Starcraft. Lets face it hard core starcraft players fit strongly in the nerdy factor

Pacorko
15-03-2010, 17:27
All armies are primus inter pares

Well, then if that be so, my vote goes to that one guy with the army of Rogue Trader Enslavers...

I totally worship the guy! That army just pwns everything made by GW so many ways 'til sunday. It's a whole can of great dedication and whoopass, anyway you look at it!

Overly "in character" Tau players, I find them nothing but sillier that the average 40K players I like to be with. ;)

Now, when someone can't do nothing but talk about the game when in a "non-gamer" environment and no matter what you do to stir them away and into a more general topic, and said individuals do take any chance to keep coming back to their take on/interpretations/cooment on the novels/fluff/armies or anything else 40K-related, that's when geekiness turns to abject nerdyness while at the same time getting dangerously close to acute social discapacity...

That's just sad.

genestealer_baldric
15-03-2010, 17:42
you want nerdy, play chess with dice. (can neither confirm or deny participation:shifty:)

anyone who wants to run an army the way that IG are run - commissars, tanks fragging themselves, massed guys running straight at the guns, etc. should be hogtied and left in the middle of coyote infested wilds in the dead of night for the betterment of humanity.

there wernt that many coyotes in russia in WW2 so that idea didnt take off

MasterSparks
15-03-2010, 18:02
As boring as it is to read, I really think that it's the player himself that makes something nerdy and not an army in and of itself. :)

Carlos
15-03-2010, 18:03
Tau have to be in the discussion; they're the "Space Elves" of a different kind of nerd.

YOU THERE! Do you watch anime? Do you like giant robots? Do you buy anything that looks like it might have, at one time, been in Japan?

Well, we've got the army for you!

Thats what sold me.

Awilla the Hun
15-03-2010, 19:17
This is an extremely difficult decision. This is a game of toy soldiers. The grown up players of it are pretty nerdy.

Speaking as a Guard player, I would put the Imperial Guard pretty high. Not every Guard player rants about how his tactics were used in some obscure battle between the American 968th Mechanised-Motor Artillery Division and the SS "Das Panzertot" Korps in the Normandy-Stalingrad region, sometime in about 1941, but it does have an appeal to the military history fan. (I'm not immune to this; I keep explaining that, yes, the tanks are in front of the infantry, like they were in 1917.) In addition, when looking at the codex with the most obscenely large tube artillery weapons, available in three gun batteries, backed up by lots of mortar squads and grenade launchers, you do begin to wonder whether we're not somehow compensating for something... (I jest, I jest!) I have also been known to do nerdy things in mid game like making "Inspiring" speeches to my fellow Apocalypse players. This probably doesn't speak for more guard players, in all likelihood.

Tau would also rank high, because of the Japanimation Factor.

I would put Space Marines fairly low, mostly because they are closer to the archetypical Fantasy Hero (humble boy rises to do great things, such as killing lots of Orks)-not neccessarily a good state of affairs (especially as said Space Marine has more grimdark subtext than the 11 year old looking at Battle for Black Reach will ever take in), but far from being that Nerdy.

However, overall, the armies are pretty evenly balanced. For every "normal" Marine player, there's probably another one who has memorised every last gland for Space Marine making, and then goes onto the internet writing about how the precise growth hormone measurements will make the Space Marine (as long as he's wielding a Mark VI Boltgun-the butt on that thing is made of Category VIII Kryptonite, thus making it .002 miligrams lighter, and leaving him with more strength to do other stuff) able to punch out an AT AT from Star Wars: The Expanded Universe. I have never, apart from myself, encountered any players who are ever remotely in character whilst playing the game. The Eldar player I knew, rather than triumphantly proclaiming that the swords of some goddess have won the day, driving the vile Mon Keigh to oblivion (in Eldarish) instead popularised the term "consolidate rape". It's mostly with the player, not the army.

gwarsh41
15-03-2010, 19:33
Hah, this is like talking about the nerdiest class in world of warcraft. I love it!
I would probably have to say imperial guard/tau as well. The people who play them around here fir the stereotypical nerd. They are afraid of confrontation, usually pretty socially awkward, and well, dont quite fit in with anyone else. This is coming from an instructor at a tech school teaching video game design. So these are the guys that the nerds think are nerdy.
I figure that since they really dislike confrontation, they go shooty armies. No confrontation if you shoot me first.

I really never understood the anime/tau thing. As a huge anime fan, they dont interest me in the least. Space Wolves and Daemons!!

Corporeal
15-03-2010, 21:37
if anything has the nerd/anime factor to it's models, it has to be eldar. Their walkers look like lord of the rings and anime got together and made a bastardized baby.

Gonders
15-03-2010, 23:52
Why has no-one mentioned chaos yet?! Chaos players always take it too seriously, almost like they're part of the cult themselves.

How many times have you been sat in your local rock pub, and looked at all the overweight straggly haired types with their washed out 'ANTHRAX' t-shirt on and not thought 'Chaos player'.

Or maybe that's just me eh?

Gonders

lowmanjason
16-03-2010, 00:16
eldar (tolkien rip-off) and space marines. they are called "SPACE MARINES" how nerdy is that.
when we make fun of the eldar we call them "space elves"... because just about anything in 40k with the word "space" in it sounds super nerdy. thats just my opinion, i could be wrong, i probably am!:D

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 00:57
How many times have you been sat in your local rock pub, and looked at all the overweight straggly haired types with their washed out 'ANTHRAX' t-shirt on and not thought 'Chaos player'.

Hey. Don't be dissin' Anthrax, OK?:shifty:;)

Mosedeke
16-03-2010, 03:27
I vote IG.

As a member of the Army, I somewhat obsess over making the composition and tactics, not to mention uniforms and insignia, as realistic as my warped mind can imagine warfare operating in the year 40,000. As well as setting my lists up to conforming to either modern or WW2 company compositions.

tuebor
16-03-2010, 05:22
Also, have you noticed that Guard players -- as compared to other gamers overall-- have a 50% higher chance of having actually been in the military?

I think that's just confirmation bias and not really true. I've known lots of 40k players while I've been in the military and Guard players have been about as common among soldiers as they are in the civilian populace. In the cavalry troop I'm in now there are 8 of us who play 40k and only one of us (technically two but the other guy is a cadet so he isn't a real person and doesn't count) plays IG.

Also, all of the IG players I've met who obsess about organizing their IG based on some real world example or obsess about real world tactics have all been civilians. All of the soldiers I've met who play IG see 40k as a fantasy game with plastic space men and nothing more. I'm guessing that the more hardcore tactical simulation types play other games.

BrotherErekose
16-03-2010, 05:50
There's an army that more dorky than the rest? I think my girlfriend would disagree.

ME: That's an Ordo Mallus Inquistor, not a Marine!
GF: Dork...Djinnn8, the fact that you *have* a GF disqualifies you from any of this.

I'm sorry, you must relinquish your Warseer membership. Immediately. I'll inform the Inquisition.
;)
-----------------------
And, his GF has it right. We're not nerds. It's 'dork'. "Nerd" implies intelligence, usually academic. Too many ex-military guys in the hobby for that.
;)
"Dork" fits best.

And, my vote is Tau. They have the one site I know of that is army specific (dedicated) more-so than any other.

AdvancedTauTactica.com

Is there an Eldar or IG site that is as dedicated?

Repentant Son
16-03-2010, 06:10
Angry Marines.

Made by people who wanted a Chuck Norris army...:rolleyes:

waiyuren
16-03-2010, 07:10
Slaanesh. Future + Space + Interdimensional + Porn

Seriously, google it........

As to the players themselves, it's a tie between me and my wife:
I: Tall, lanky, bald, socialy awkward, making a squat fandex.
She: likes the above, and once informed me that she would rather i didn't shoot her Chaos Knights, because it makes it harder for them to rape me. (5ft2, normaly demure as a kitten, scares the crap out of me some times.)

Actually it's not really a tie at all is it? I think i won.....

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 07:14
Slaanesh. Future + Space + Interdimensional + Porn

Seriously, google it........

I did. All I got were some Montauk hits.:shifty:

waiyuren
16-03-2010, 07:30
"Haha! You fell for my trap!" Is what i would say if i wanted to dig my hole any deeper. :)

htj
16-03-2010, 11:09
Hmm. A converted administratum army based on the Guard codex would fit the bill here. Hordes of grey suited, grey faced administratum adepts serving lethal volleys of back taxes. Pinning their foes with barrages of red tape. Stalwartly advancing behind cover of forms that you must fill out IN TRIPLICATE.

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 11:17
Hmm. A converted administratum army based on the Guard codex would fit the bill here. Hordes of grey suited, grey faced administratum adepts serving lethal volleys of back taxes. Pinning their foes with barrages of red tape. Stalwartly advancing behind cover of forms that you must fill out IN TRIPLICATE.

Psh! My guys work for CASH, punk. You got nothing on them.;)

htj
16-03-2010, 11:22
Psh! My guys work for CASH, punk. You got nothing on them.;)

Tax evasion! Benefit fraud! That's grounds for exterminatus in the Administratum Guard's books.

Bunnahabhain
16-03-2010, 11:41
Djinnn8, the fact that you *have* a GF disqualifies you from any of this.

I'm sorry, you must relinquish your Warseer membership. Immediately. I'll inform the Inquisition. ;)

What if you girlfriend complains about Warseer, as she thinks whineseer is full of complainers, and a lack of useful rumours about her Inq. army...

And, his GF has it right. We're not nerds. It's 'dork'. "Nerd" implies intelligence, usually academic. Too many ex-military guys in the hobby for that.
;)
"Dork" fits best.

I know plenty of intelligent players, some of whom are ex-military. Geek is closer...

Is there an Eldar or IG site that is as dedicated?
Yes. I don't know the Eldar ones, but there are several guard ones...

ltsobel
16-03-2010, 11:49
Tau, although considering the hobby we are in a pot/kettle colour recognition issue situation :P

Galatan
16-03-2010, 12:12
Yes. I don't know the Eldar ones, but there are several guard ones...

Eldar used to have eldaronline.com, but that crashed and burned and became 40konline.

As far as you can call army's nerdy (since it's mainly about the player who is nerdy or not) I would say Tau win. They have by far the most names for different configurations. Heck many battlesuit config names were even featured in the WD. Guard...maybe, sometimes I meet guard players who are most down to earth of all and sometimes they go to extremes, but that could be said about every army. I'm glad I still haven't met an eldar player who keeps talking to me in eldar lingo......Inq players do seem to shout 'BURN THE HERETIC' a lot, something I also frown upon (even though it can be funny sometimes).

Zederick
16-03-2010, 12:50
personally, id have to say tau are the nerdiest setup ive seen. it seems to be something about the chorus of "its not a he, its a she!" whenever i refer to a certain tau HQ special character.

GrimZAG
16-03-2010, 13:25
I think anyone who even knows of Warseers existence is nerdy. Let alone which army is nerdiest.

yabbadabba
16-03-2010, 13:43
I think anyone who even knows of Warseers existence is nerdy. Let alone which army is nerdiest. Pot and kettle does spring to mind :D

Any army where all the individual weapons have names and heritage.

sigur
16-03-2010, 13:47
Also, have you noticed that Guard players -- as compared to other gamers overall-- have a 50% higher chance of having actually been in the military? I think they see Guard as the way to run things the way things SHOULD have been run back when they 'were in it' and if they had been in charge. :D

a.) How is that a good or "less nerdy" thing?
b.) This is more worrying than nerdy.
c.) I highly doubt your made-up-on-the-go statistic.

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 13:50

If by "in the military" you mean watches the Discovery Channel and has a subscription to Armchair General than you may be correct.;)

htj
16-03-2010, 14:08

Nonsense. Clearly the man has done his research. I put it to you that I am have a Guard army, and am not in the military, and my friend has a Guard army and works for the Ministry of Defence which is basically the army. An exact 50/50 split.

THE SYSTEM WORKS.

:)

Fixer
16-03-2010, 14:11
This is a silly thread. We all play with toy soldiers here.

Arguing about which 40K army is the nerdiest is like the damned souls in hell arguing about who is most on fire :)

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 14:12
Arguing about which 40K army is the nerdiest is like the damned souls in hell arguing about who is most on fire :)

It`s you. You`re on fire the most.
I win.;):cool:

sliganian
16-03-2010, 23:19
a.) How is that a good or "less nerdy" thing?
b.) This is more worrying than nerdy.

Wow! You've cleverly discerned that my anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Not much get by you. :rolleyes:

weirdmaster
17-03-2010, 00:31
Although I play Tau, I would have to agree that my army is quite nerdy. But then, I "dig Giant Robots" (many internet points to whomever guesses that tv show reference first;)).

But, if you want real nerdy, I-watch-too-much-anime-Tau, then you can't beat O'Shovah. He'll get his own anime series in Japan soon. Just wait and see:evilgrin:

MetalGecko23
17-03-2010, 00:42
Angry Marines.

Made by people who wanted a Chuck Norris army...
Ahhhh......Chuck and cool go together, look it up there synonyms.
So if you wanted your Space Marines to be like Chuck then you have made them cool. So by default Angry Marines are not nerdy...their cool. :D

Reimu
17-03-2010, 00:43
Although I play Tau, I would have to agree that my army is quite nerdy. But then, I "dig Giant Robots" (many internet points to whomever guesses that tv show reference first;)).

Who digs giant robots?

MetalGecko23
17-03-2010, 00:50
Who digs giant robots?
I do!
8th MS Team and Macross...FTW!

LoneSniperSG
17-03-2010, 00:57
Tau, Eldar or Dark Eldar I think. Perhaps also daemons.

WolfGuardChris
17-03-2010, 01:45
Tyranids.

I've never seen someone giggle uncontrollably like a 13 year old girl than Tyranid players. Something about the carpet of stabbing bugs or giant winged beasts that just gets them going.

Iverald
17-03-2010, 02:53

Guilty, but not a REAL army, but my IG on the table. :p

What if you girlfriend complains about Warseer, as she thinks whineseer is full of complainers, and a lack of useful rumours about her Inq. army...

Sounds like me... Oh wait... :p

On topic: designwise, Tau. Hunting Wapanese antelopes with tanks named after fish? :rolleyes:

Playerwise: while I do realize that I am quite socially awkward, all 40K players in my group are "normal", in contrast to most WFB players. Oh well, Poland has to do much catching up.

I also think that all male members who have girlfriends, are married or God forbid have children :eek: should be permabanned from here. :p
Yes, I'm burning inside with a violent ang... er jealousy. ;) Cookie for anyone who gets the least geeky, but the most nerdy reference.

Setesh
17-03-2010, 03:05
None of them are nerdy unless you think they are.

Project2501
17-03-2010, 03:11
ORKS - because they are the ubiquitous fictional "bad guys" that everyone knows and instantly associates with nerd/geek/dork. Add in someone trying to speek lykun an u gotz a winnah.

TAU - are a close second only because of the terminology. I have yet to meet anyone that doesn't play WH40k that assoiciates them with anime.

Vox-Grill
17-03-2010, 04:00
I would have to say Tau too. They scream 80's anime at me, but that;s not bad :)

Pink Horror
17-03-2010, 13:53
Ahhhh......Chuck and cool go together, look it up there synonyms.
So if you wanted your Space Marines to be like Chuck then you have made them cool. So by default Angry Marines are not nerdy...their cool. :D

I think you are confusing cool in the sense that nerds use it, and the actual meaning of cool. All of that Chuck Norris Internet nonsense is typical nerd humor.

scarletsquig
17-03-2010, 14:22
I think the nerdiest option would have to be something really niche, like pre-heresy marines, or something else that attempts to lovingly recreate the accurate history of a fictional series of events.

Squats would come under a similar banner. Anything where you have to covnert every single model.

htj
17-03-2010, 14:56
I think you are confusing cool in the sense that nerds use it, and the actual meaning of cool. All of that Chuck Norris Internet nonsense is typical nerd humor.

Cool as in mainstream? I disagree. (http://catandgirl.com/?p=1068) :)