PDA

View Full Version : Battle Missions a Waste of Money?

Latro_
14-03-2010, 13:55
Got the book yesterday and i'll admit i'v only read about 5 of the missions but everyone just seems to mainly be a normal enough mission with an unimaginative special rule just tagged onto the end.

Am i missing the boat here? Do games actually pan out differently when you play a couple of them?

like 'oh its an objective mission but terrain is on fire', 'oh its an objective mission but everything scores'.... wow 15 for that :P

Thud
14-03-2010, 13:58
I don't know about "waste of money" but I'm fairly unimpressed with it.

duffybear1988
14-03-2010, 13:59
yeah its pretty rubbish which is why WD had all of half a page on it :D

ArtificerArmour
14-03-2010, 14:06
I'm dissapointed. The missions which are themed towards their race are hideously over balanced. Which means space wolves will onhy ever get a minor win for missions that arn't space marine based.

Theres a few alright ones, black crusade and night fight are alright (if you remember to roll for night fight conditions!). The rest are pretty unbalanced tat that you expect to get from the pages of WD as stocking filler. Even the universal missions dont do owt for me.

Norsehawk
14-03-2010, 14:08
played the 3 baneblades vs 1500 point army list on Friday as the baneblade player, took 2 baneblades and 1 hellhammer. There is nothing in the mission that gives the baneblade character any sense of urgency in the game, so I just stuck back and obliterated his army piecemeal. when the game ended, my hellhammer had gotten blown up due to a string of 6's after a multi melta shot, and a lascannon took off the baneblade cannon on one of my banes. Came down to a 50/50 chance to win at the end of the game.

Neodymium
14-03-2010, 14:15
Definitely not impressed.

Kill team was alright but I reccomend you get the 4th edition rules set and adapt them for 5th.

Most of the missions seemed the same to be honest.

Latro_
14-03-2010, 14:17
yea the special ones are like, put ye army vs somin big... ggggg thanks for the idea didnt think of that one.

Or killteam, every model its own unit.... hah again 'duhhhhh'

Its one of the few times i might actually take something back to GW for me money back.

sigur
14-03-2010, 14:27
Great, I was really looking forward to my BM book which should be delivered the upcoming week but now I'm getting a bit nervous.....are there at least nice pictures or something in it? :eyebrows:

Thud
14-03-2010, 14:31
...are there at least nice pictures or something in it? :eyebrows:

Nope, but there's a section where Jervis Johnson talks about "the hobby" and whatnot.

sigur
14-03-2010, 14:36
Nope, but there's a section where Jervis Johnson talks about "the hobby" and whatnot.

Uhm.....yay! :cries:

PaulmanMN
14-03-2010, 14:36
We played Killteam for 7 striaght hours yesterday. I was fun as hell! the games are fast, 200 points doesnt go far, and you can be onto your next game in 45 minutes, I LOVE Killteam. We broke out nearly every army in the book as well..

MistaGav
14-03-2010, 14:37
Well I wouldn't get your hopes up about the pretty pictures either, it's more of the same style of photography where every model is literally posing to the camera.

Mojaco
14-03-2010, 14:42
I liked it. I've only played one mission (it's not been out long) and it offered a very different experience. Flipping through it, most missions seem to do that.

I wouldn't call the missions overbalanced towards the owning race either, with some exceptions here and there.

Regardless of how 'different' some of these missions are, I think it offers a nice break from those same 3 missions with 3 setups. More flavor, more emphasis on fun and more variety. I like it.

Flying Toaster
14-03-2010, 14:50
I also think that GW cannot do anything right and is such a useless manufacturer of games that I am thinking of quitting because of this new release. This needless rubbish that is produced by GW has to stop!

What were we talking about again?

Count de Monet
14-03-2010, 15:03
For a close-knit group it's not that great of a book. Those groups are probably already running custom home-brewed missions anyways, along with custom army lists and various house rules.

For looser groups, it's a nice way to introduce some variety into pick up games using an "official" product.

massey
14-03-2010, 15:16
Got the book yesterday and i'll admit i'v only read about 5 of the missions but everyone just seems to mainly be a normal enough mission with an unimaginative special rule just tagged onto the end.

Am i missing the boat here? Do games actually pan out differently when you play a couple of them?

like 'oh its an objective mission but terrain is on fire', 'oh its an objective mission but everything scores'.... wow 15 for that :P

You're complaining about something being a waste of money in a game where we pay fifty bucks for a box of little plastic men? Next you'll be telling me that deep fried twinkies are bad for you.

freddieyu
14-03-2010, 15:27
I also think that GW cannot do anything right and is such a useless manufacturer of games that I am thinking of quitting because of this new release. This needless rubbish that is produced by GW has to stop!

What were we talking about again?

well if you quit because of this you'll quit anyway, so no great loss.

im buying it since it will give ideas, and there will be times where balance is not the issue. after all not all games need to be cutthroat tourney types. The book is optional anyway and is just a supplement.

Light of the Emperor
14-03-2010, 15:28
Next you'll be telling me that deep fried twinkies are bad for you.

:eek: They are?!!! There go my arteries :cries:

I've seen some of the missions as a preview. Remember, GW is on this cinematic kick (get down to eye level to trace your LOS fire so you're right in the action!) so the missions are probably biased towards a) the selected army and b) creating as best a climactic battle as possible.

massey
14-03-2010, 15:37
I thought Battle Missions was actually pretty cool. I read through a lot of them, and while most are pretty similar to one another, it was neat to have some extra rules to change things up. I agree with something someone said above. If you've got a small group of close-knit friends, this is probably something you've already done on your own. But if you're playing with a big group, it's nice to have something official. I mean, if I'm playing a stranger, I'm not going to be especially happy with playing his "special mission" that he designed.

CoolKidRoc
14-03-2010, 15:40
I also thought the battle missions was a lot of fun, and were well balanced. Me and my buddy played a couple random missions his nids vs my eldar. We played a nid mission and I ended up winning and then we played the sm mission all round defense with the nids defending and miraculously pulled off a win.

To see a better right up check out my blog, http://thewraithgate.blogspot.com/2010/03/battle-missions.html

I'm actually looking forward to playing more of them as it is way better then just lining up your army and going against the other person head on.

Damocles8
14-03-2010, 16:16
our group had a pretty fun time with it, I think out trick was to read the mission, then tailor your list to the mission (why would a mechanized infantry list be in a trench fight...)

And some of the racial missions looked like they could be fun with other armies

Flying Toaster
14-03-2010, 17:12
well if you quit because of this you'll quit anyway, so no great loss.

im buying it since it will give ideas, and there will be times where balance is not the issue. after all not all games need to be cutthroat tourney types. The book is optional anyway and is just a supplement.

The sarcasm in my post has been lost on you.

Dooks Dizzo
14-03-2010, 17:18
I love the book. I was sick to ******* death of the missions out of the book. Every game I have played has been interesting and challenging.

BigBossOgryn
14-03-2010, 17:19
I thought Battle Missions was quite good, but then I don't play 40K week in, week out. They are fun to play with a bit of planning like Damocles8 said.

freddieyu
14-03-2010, 17:30

Ah obviously...sorry dude

Plastic Rat
14-03-2010, 17:40
I was fun as hell! the games are fast, 200 points doesnt go far, and you can be onto your next game in 45 minutes

It kind of bothers me when people rave about how quickly you can get done with doing something that's supposed to be fun...

Wondering how marketing might apply it to other stuff. "This novel is only 1/3rd of the length of other novels, you can be done and reading something else in a third of the time!"

"Our latest movie is only 25 minutes, you can be out of the theater and watching another movie in the time it would normally take you to get popcorn!"

Just makes me think...

You're complaining about something being a waste of money in a game where we pay fifty bucks for a box of little plastic men? Next you'll be telling me that deep fried twinkies are bad for you.

Sigged! :D

Honestly, I'm going to buy it because I'm hoping for some interesting fluff reading. I've long ago come to terms with the fact that my friends and I can invent rules and scenarios far, far more interesting and creative than anything GW pumps out these days.

It might however give me an idea or two for our own scenarios and at worst I might be able to use it to prevent another pick-up game from turning into another Kill-point bore-fest. (The next time I roll a kill-points mission in a pick-up game I'm shooting either myself or my opponent in the head. Not sure which, I'll decide at the time.)

Lastly I want it for Kill-Team. The idea of being able to do something with the dregs of the models I've bought simply to paint because they are cool appeals to me. My Gaunt's Ghosts and Grey Knights might actually get to see the tabletop.

neXus6
14-03-2010, 17:47
Seems like the main positives people are coming out with are Killteam and that they were bored of the rulebook missions.

Just a shame you can sort out playing both those things for free...

I do understand the point that it is nice of have something official for if you are playing with strangers, but if someone I didn't know had their own mission written up I'd ask to take a look at it and decided myself if they'd made it a little too bias or something. Then I'd help them make it better, assuming that they weren't just looking for an easy win and actually cared about the game.
:p

Still for those people who don't have time to come up with their own missions (and no time to look on the internet for the piles of free missions and game mods), or who only have untrusting strangers to play against I guess it might be worth the money.

GideonRavenor
14-03-2010, 17:50
I'm actually quite pleased with Battle Missions; it's functional, and not terribly exciting, but the subtle mission changes actually change the dynamic of each game quite significantly, without being impossible to work with.

freddythebig
14-03-2010, 17:51
How do the Kill Team rules in this compare to the ones in the 4th edition book? Are they similar rules just updated to 5th edition or are they something different?

I am still in two minds as to get this supplement, I am quite capable of coming up with scenarios of my own but am also wondering if it would be useful for ideas.

Latro_
14-03-2010, 17:54
Lastly I want it for Kill-Team. The idea of being able to do something with the dregs of the models I've bought simply to paint because they are cool appeals to me. My Gaunt's Ghosts and Grey Knights might actually get to see the tabletop.

you want it for kill team
okie pick 200pts 0-1e ,0-2t, 0-1fa, table quaters, every model is his own unit, take a ld test for ye army if at 50%

done lol

BBWags
14-03-2010, 18:01
The problem is not that the missions are horrible. A friend of mine played one of the Tau missions with the board sides cut from one corner diagonal through the board to the opposite corner. Fighting Withdrawal or something like that. The change in deployment certainly changed the game. It was a welcome change.

The only problem is that we could easily have done that on our own. "Hey, how's abouts we draw a line from corner to corner and that becomes to center-line?" Bam. Done.

But I would have expected a product that had a little more thought to it, more personality, to be specific. Yes, the Dark Eldar get to take PRISONERS!! but so do . . . the guys they're raiding? Huh?

My gaming group is smart enough to change a single simple game dynamic to change things up. What I was hoping for was something that would have some real character with it. Give us an in depth scenario with different "objectives" per side, different deployment options, and varying victory conditions unshared by your opponent. Something like that would be killer. And while yes, I can come up with those things myself, coming from GW as tested and balanced would be far better.

I don't have the time to come up with rules myself and make sure they are as balanced as possible. I barely have enough time to play the game and get some painting in. That's why I pay GW money, though. Give me good rules and interesting and balanced missions to play!

neXus6
14-03-2010, 18:16
okie pick 200pts 0-1e ,0-2t, 0-1fa, table quaters, every model is his own unit, take a ld test for ye army if at 50%

done lol

That is pretty rediculous compared to the depth of 4th ed. Kill Team.

Plastic Rat
14-03-2010, 18:53

done lol

I heard the LD tests got harder as the game progressed or something. Also something about being able to split rapid fire onto different models, charge models you didn't shoot at and so forth.

Plus there has to be something about objectives.

Either way, I don't mind putting down a couple of bucks for this.

It's kinda like a White Dwarf, you know there's nothing really inside it that you can't find on the net. You know it's going to leave you empty and hollow afterwards...

However if you have the disposable income for it, it'll offer a few cool pics, the odd inspiring diagram and it's nice to be able to read it on the can.

genestealer_baldric
14-03-2010, 19:21
ive only played one game and it was the most unispring game have had in years both me and my oponet got board by turn 3, it was a normal game of 40k with some random pointles rule tacked onto the end.

LonelyPath
14-03-2010, 19:42
The book isn't brilloant, but it's a good aid if you're to lazy to think up your own variations of the normal missions. Personally I think some of the missions are pretty good, but alot are average at best and some are just to bland to bother with. They could have done alot more, as proven by the mission they posted on the website.

TheMav80
14-03-2010, 20:33
I like it. It's not like it is a crazy amount of money or anything.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
14-03-2010, 20:58
Considering that it wasn't all that expensive, I actually think the value in the book is decent. It offers a quick set of variant missions that allows you to change up your gaming experience with no muss and no fuss. Sure, they could have done a mission card-esque situation like in second edition where each army has different objectives, but it works for what it is.

Corrode
14-03-2010, 21:36
The only problem is that we could easily have done that on our own. "Hey, how's abouts we draw a line from corner to corner and that becomes to center-line?" Bam. Done.

I keep seeing people say this about Battle Missions and my question to them is - so why weren't you? Very few people are saying 'we were already doing this', and quite a lot of people are saying 'we COULD have done this!'. It strikes me that if you weren't doing it before, and now you are, then Battle Missions has in fact achieved its goal, which was to get people playing different missions to the 3 in the rulebook. Sure, some of the missions aren't particularly clever, but then that's easy to say once we've seen them.

I do understand the point that it is nice of have something official for if you are playing with strangers, but if someone I didn't know had their own mission written up I'd ask to take a look at it and decided myself if they'd made it a little too bias or something. Then I'd help them make it better, assuming that they weren't just looking for an easy win and actually cared about the game.

Well, bully for you. A lot of people like having something they can point to and say 'we can play with this, we don't have to sit and balance it ourselves or work out something interesting'. The people who do that stuff were doing it already, the people who don't are using Battle Missions, it's only the people who expected BM to be a world-shattering storm of funky new missions (and not a book full of fun, more or less balanced, variations on the standard game type) who are whinging.

I'm actually quite pleased with Battle Missions; it's functional, and not terribly exciting, but the subtle mission changes actually change the dynamic of each game quite significantly, without being impossible to work with.

That's more or less my view on it as well. There's 60ish different games contained in BM (playing once as attacker and defender), and that's about a year or so's worth for me, never mind interspersing with rulebook scenarios (which personally I'm not sick of yet either). I can whack out the Battle Missions book, say 'let's play one of these', and in five minutes we're playing the game. That's enough for my 15.

massey
14-03-2010, 21:42
Yeah. If you guys don't like it, don't buy it. I don't know what you're looking for. We got a lot of different missions that don't require too much work or too much cooperation between the players to use. This is about as complex as it can get with a game where both guys just walk in and pick up to play. I really don't know what you want otherwise.

SoggyRizla
14-03-2010, 22:19
I have played a few games of kill team, and played the dark eldar slave raid mission. Enjoyed them all, and imo it's a really good change from the standard missions. They may not be as balanced, but they are more balanced than expected.

KaldCB
14-03-2010, 23:21
I think battle missions are brilliant!

before the release, many complained that the missions would not be balanced, but now that they are out, and people have seen that they were not as crazy as they had taught, that is wrong as well?

Battle missions is exactly what it should be, variant missions that can be used for pick up games, i don't think i will play the regular missions anymore.

ehlijen
15-03-2010, 02:01
I actually think you're better off trying to find a copy of the big 4th ed (or 3rd ed maybe) rulebook on ebay and just plunder the special mission section of that (plust the 4th ed book has kill team).

Those missions were tremendously different from the standard ones.

The battle missions are all about:
Change deployment method to favour the themed army.
Tack on a 'more killy dice, less thought' special rule.
Done.

For example:
Prepared assault:
Artillery lands somewhere random on the table. You can sort of aim, but not really, and it can't be fought back against.
Attrition fight:
Troops come back via half outflank. For both sides. I killed you, then you kill me, then I kill you, then you kill me...the folly of hostile reinforcements arriving within 2" of each other in its full glory!

The idea of those rules sounds like fun, I admit. But it makes for poor game play.

Don't buy it if you have access to the 4th ed big book is what I say.

Max Jet
15-03-2010, 02:07
I can't see what everyone is so excited about.
In third edition they used to give your army special missions in their Codex, which were also more balanced.
Now it is praised as revolutionary step, though all they have done is taking away the army specific missions out of the Codicies and sell you them, so that basically every gaming group has to buy an additional Codex.

IcedAnimals
15-03-2010, 02:29
I like the idea of the baneblade and kill team missions. otherwise I really have no reason to enjoy BM since they left my army out of it.

sabreu
15-03-2010, 02:35
It's something I've actually been doing for awhile now with a few mates. Having some official missions to play pick up games with strangers is a bit nice though, Kill-team being the best offer (although paling significantly from the 4th edition rendition).

Attached is an example of what I've done.

daboarder
15-03-2010, 03:46
Personally I didn't bother with it. I have 3rd and 4th edition rule books and there are plenty of scenario's in those, especially the 3rd ed one.

Destructorn
15-03-2010, 05:22
I got it, and, well, yeah I was pretty disappointed with how 'blah' a lot of the missions were. The first one was 'Night Fight'. The difference between this mission and a regular mission? You use night fighting rules! Well, duh. You could have said that in one line!

The kill team rules were insanely disappointing. They really had an opportunity to do something special there [there could have been a whole subsection on KT missions and forces], and they blew it (the summary above is not exaggerating how sparse they are). Thank God I still have my 4th edition, those KT rules are excellent.

That said, I think this or something like this should have been included in the main rules in order to vary up the standard mission templates. In reality, if you took the dross out of this book you could have covered all the 33 missions in about 2-4 pages, and it really would have improved the core rules. As it is, this book is a good 'mission generator' and I think all my future battles will be played by randomly choosing a mission from the book, so I don't regret buying it and don't think it's a waste of time, but I do think they could have spent a bit more time on it, particularly with the KT rules, and made it a truly must-have product.

Destructorn
15-03-2010, 05:22
Personally I didn't bother with it. I have 3rd and 4th edition rule books and there are plenty of scenario's in those, especially the 3rd ed one.

I wish someone in the fan community, or at GW, would compile all the missions that have been released over the years, that'd be a valuable tome.

GrogDaTyrant
15-03-2010, 06:06
I like it. I think if it's played in the 'Dur, roll to see who chooses which of their missions we play' aspect, it's lame. Some missions are notoriously favored towards their parent army, while others aren't. As an Ork player, only one of the Ork missions actually looks favorable to the army I play... and it's the cut-n-run one. The others are extremely 'bleh' to my biker gang.

However, when approached in the way that I think it really should be, where players roll off, and then roll the colossal d66 table to see what mission is played... the book's freaking brilliant. The meta-game gets frakked all to hell and back, and the game becomes a hell of a lot more fun. You can't bet on definitely having the right circumstances for your army (like reserves or deep strike), and it brings quite a bit more strategy to the game. In that respect, the completely random mission roll-off is awesome.

Ravenous
15-03-2010, 06:09
Kill teams was the only thing in that entire book that insterested me in the slightest, everything else is playing a one sided game, sure winning a game where the cards are stacked against you is great, but losing it just makes you feel like it was pointless.

they should have just put in more standard missions where both sides have an equal chance to win, like the old 3rd ed and 4th ed missions they nuked.

Occulto
15-03-2010, 06:51
I keep seeing people say this about Battle Missions and my question to them is - so why weren't you? Very few people are saying 'we were already doing this', and quite a lot of people are saying 'we COULD have done this!'. It strikes me that if you weren't doing it before, and now you are, then Battle Missions has in fact achieved its goal, which was to get people playing different missions to the 3 in the rulebook. Sure, some of the missions aren't particularly clever, but then that's easy to say once we've seen them.

Same applied to Apocalypse.

"I don't need rules for mega games."

"Then don't buy the book and STFU."

This is why these books are optional supplements. Those who want to hand over their cash can do so, while those who are capable of designing their own missions or have access to those in previous books can save themselves a few bucks.

howlinmonkey
15-03-2010, 10:32
Do we really need mission books? If so, maybe they should be in the form of a series of linked missions that can be used by any army. Anyone remember way way back the first 40k supplement? That was linked and was really good. This one from what I've read seems to be re-inventing the wheel, nightfight, new? Maybe the style of mission is the problem. Perhaps they need to be allocated to individual squads. In my mind there would still be an overall objective, but maybe squads could do minor objectives that would contribute to the overall objective.
I lost interest in these supplements with the release of city fight. Two pages of dubious 'additions' (rules,what rules?) and the rest of the book filled with pictures and numerous how to build your city do not improve the way we play 40k!

SandQueen
15-03-2010, 10:36
I like Battle Missions.

My groups play alot of scenarios. Had alot of fun with it so far and Im working on a Kill Team

Baragash
15-03-2010, 11:29
Same applied to Apocalypse.

"I don't need rules for mega games."

"Then don't buy the book and STFU."

This is why these books are optional supplements. Those who want to hand over their cash can do so, while those who are capable of designing their own missions or have access to those in previous books can save themselves a few bucks.

^What Occulto and Corrode said.

I'm more than happy with my purchase, despite being capable of writing myown stuff.

daboarder
15-03-2010, 11:38
I recomend the site batreps, they may be old reports but they give pretty good mission breifing's. Exlibrismortis is a good one too. particularly have fun with the Batrep's scenarion named pitch black.

Jagged
15-03-2010, 11:56

Well, bully for you. A lot of people like having something they can point to and say 'we can play with this, we don't have to sit and balance it ourselves or work out something interesting'. The people who do that stuff were doing it already, the people who don't are using Battle Missions, it's only the people who expected BM to be a world-shattering storm of funky new missions (and not a book full of fun, more or less balanced, variations on the standard game type) who are whinging.

That's more or less my view on it as well. There's 60ish different games contained in BM (playing once as attacker and defender), and that's about a year or so's worth for me, never mind interspersing with rulebook scenarios (which personally I'm not sick of yet either). I can whack out the Battle Missions book, say 'let's play one of these', and in five minutes we're playing the game. That's enough for my 15.

I'm going to wrap this quote up in a nutshell and say its my thoughts :)

Doppleskanger
15-03-2010, 12:53
Well I see what people are saying that the missions are on the simple side, but I'm happy enough. Had fun playing with it so far and there are lots that i still want to try out.

This suits my gaming group down to the ground actually, we've never been that good at coming up with our own stuff, so.

I certainly think its more useful than planetstrike, and it adds to a really comprehensive range of supplements for 40k.

We have been working on a kill team variant ourselves, which I think is better, but wouldnt have the pick up and play factor that this does.

What were people expecting anyway, buy this book and get a night with a 5000 dollar hooker and a job promotion for free?

mughzee
15-03-2010, 13:15
A buddy and I played a Tyr Mission the other day. I like the BM, not for anythig more than being able to paly D66 more random missions when we're not doing a campaign. It's not aw-inspiring, but I didn't think it would be. Also, just rolling to play random missions with objectives or what not you really have to make and all-comers style list since you don't know if you're defending, attacking or claiming or running. it make for fun and well balanced lists. At it's been that way so far.

Spiney Norman
15-03-2010, 14:46

It was worth it for the kill team mission, not much else. Some of the scenarios are alright, the tweaks make you rethink your strategy, which is what missions are there to do, but to be honest theres nothing in there that a creative mind couldn't do with the standard missions anyway. Mostly it was just fiddling with the kill point values of certain units and switching around deployment zones.

I'm dissapointed. The missions which are themed towards their race are hideously over balanced. Which means space wolves will onhy ever get a minor win for missions that arn't space marine based.

We've found a lot of the missions come down to "he who goes first wins", and given that a lot of the army spec missions have a significant bonus for that army to get T1 I'd say that's accurate.

Latro_
15-03-2010, 15:25
hehe did get me thinking thou.

I could write my own book on 40k zombie themed survival missions alone. Who'd be interested?

Ravenous
15-03-2010, 15:33
It was worth it for the kill team mission, not much else.

Which is extra sad because it could have been printed in WD or the website for free.

Logarithm Udgaur
15-03-2010, 15:33
played the 3 baneblades vs 1500 point army list on Friday as the baneblade player, took 2 baneblades and 1 hellhammer. There is nothing in the mission that gives the baneblade character any sense of urgency in the game, so I just stuck back and obliterated his army piecemeal. when the game ended, my hellhammer had gotten blown up due to a string of 6's after a multi melta shot, and a lascannon took off the baneblade cannon on one of my banes. Came down to a 50/50 chance to win at the end of the game.

Doesn't the Baneblade player only score points if they get the Baneblades off the opposite edge of the board?

Tamwulf
15-03-2010, 16:07
I thumbed through it at the local store. Wasn't impressed. GW could have added a couple of these scenarios to each White Dwarf and spread it out over a year to make WD a gaming magazine again instead of a giant monthly model catalog.

My advice? Pass on it.

x-esiv-4c
15-03-2010, 16:08
I was hoping to see a little more effort put in the Kill-team scenario.

tuebor
15-03-2010, 16:42
Kill-team being the best offer (although paling significantly from the 4th edition rendition).

Personally, I think the new Kill Team is much better than the previous version. Most kill team missions I played in 4th consisted of the Kill Team using the equipment that reduced your klaxon counter by one if you were stationary (I forget the name) and just shooting a brute squad to death and then allowing your klaxons to go away.

Still, I'd like to see GW eventually put out a more detailed skirmish level game, something that can be played easily as a pick up game. In the last 10 years I've moved on average every 15 months so I don't really stay in gaming groups very long and having things that are "official" and generally unquestioned between different groups are quite nice for me.

And for people saying GW could have put it on the website for free, that's true. They could also put their Codexes and the main rulebook online for free, but they don't. It'd be nice if they gave us things for free but you really shouldn't get disappointed when they don't.

GrogDaTyrant
15-03-2010, 16:45
A buddy and I played a Tyr Mission the other day. I like the BM, not for anythig more than being able to paly D66 more random missions when we're not doing a campaign. It's not aw-inspiring, but I didn't think it would be. Also, just rolling to play random missions with objectives or what not you really have to make and all-comers style list since you don't know if you're defending, attacking or claiming or running. it make for fun and well balanced lists. At it's been that way so far.

I completely agree with you, sir.

The emphasis on a 'take-all-comers' list setup, and the required focus towards more scoring units and less Death-Stars, is one of the things I really liked about the BM book. It seems a lot less 'one-sided' when played with the d66 table.

I've played a couple of games now, one of which was Tyranid Wave Assault in which the 'parent army' was a 120+ model count Ork dread-bash with 6 kanz, a dread, all shootas and 2 KFF Meks. In a straight up drag, kill points or steal-the-bacon, it wouldn't have been much of a match, and I probably would have been quickly tabled. But as it was, my fragile bike army of 44 models managed to pull a draw out of it, by holding 1 objective, and contesting another.

Another mission I played, was an Eldar one in which my Ork bikers were the parent army, and my opponent was a mech Tau list. I forgot the name of the mission, but we ended up with 3 objectives. Due to the my army's setup, everything was forced into reserves (as per the mission setup), and I spent the 2nd and 3rd turns painfully riding out the colossal amount of firepower amassed against me. By the end of the game, I had lost over 70% of my units, but had finally managed to make it to the opponent's side and began flipping his vehicles and hurling battle-suits into the air. The game ended with an extremely minor victory in my favor, with much of it boiling down to him panicking about my Nob bikes (which only killed a unit of Kroot, and a Hammerhead), wheras the warbikes themselves did the most damage to him and claimed the objectives. It was a ridiculously close game, and we both agreed that it was probably one of the most enjoyable 'ork-vs-tau' match-ups either of us had ever played.

If anything, I think Battle Missions has made the game far more enjoyable to me. Especially for the Ork-bike army style I play. The 'standardized' mission set leaves my Biker list as an extremely 'nemesis-style' army, plowing through armies like Necrons and Guard with relative ease. But having it fall horrifically short against monster-heavy nids, dread-spam lists, and sistsers (not to mention anti-warbike tailored armies). Battle Missions seems to me to bring such a wide array of missions that it makes my army seem much more 'all around'. The armies that I've normally been able to steam-roll in standard games, have often given me a good run for my money. While the bane-lists that I usually have problems against have often had difficulties dealing with the deployment or victory conditions.

All in all, I think Battle Missions has made 40k far more enjoyable to play on my end. Prior to BM, I was all gung-ho to shelve my 40k armies and focus on my Skaven again for the next 3 to 5 years. But now I think I'll actually be focusing on both systems equally.

Darkspear
15-03-2010, 16:46
I do not think highly of battle missions and I am very disappointed with it when i first saw it. Which is why I did not buy as a result.

For those who feel that the book will improve their gaming experiences, i say go for it. Just make sure you make an informed choice.

Xelloss
15-03-2010, 17:14
I keep seeing people say this about Battle Missions and my question to them is - so why weren't you? Very few people are saying 'we were already doing this', and quite a lot of people are saying 'we COULD have done this!'.
More likely "for that kind of result, we didn't bothered to do this".

'we can play with this, we don't have to sit and balance it ourselves or work out something interesting'.
Apparently, GW developpers thought the same thing. "It's for fun, no one care the mission is atrociously unbalanced !"

My opinion on BM :
1/ First and principally "WTF ? you need a double page to describe a paragraph-worth of rules ?". Most parts of the missions rules are rewritten each times, and each page scream "how will I be able to waste word count to fill two pages ?".
Everything written in this book could and should have been put in the core rulebook.

2/ The mission are completely broken. "Hey ! you automatically start first, you have reserve access when your opponent hasn't, the objectives favor you. Guess what ? Let's add special rules to make your work even easier" to "You don't know it, but you have already lost", with in the middle "rules somewhat balanced, but disregard the fluff explanation of the mission, to win you have to do something completely different".
The book isn't even worth the ink and the paper that compose it.

3/ It looks like there is more options than the basic missions, but in fact you could do most of it better with 4th ed missions, and alpha/beta/gamma rules made it more diverse and allow a better range of playing skill needed.

4/ Kill Team : the limitations of the old kill team (no 2+, no psychic powers, no multi-wounds, no high-strength weapons) weren't there by chance. And I don't speak about the whole range of option you had beside just "each model is a unit now just jump at each other's throat duh"

Mr.selfdestruct
15-03-2010, 17:36
Well, I guess I'll put my 2 cents in. I bought the book, and I have yet to regret doing so. I was not horribly dissapointed with it simply because I think that it's a nice change, and frankly I like the fact that the odds tend to be stacked towards one side. Sure, in a perfect world your games would be totally fair and come down to simple tactical ability to win. I bet the real military would like that too. Oh, wait....no scratch that. Well, at least in the best fantasy and sci-fi movies and books out there, the battles are completely balanced and tactical ability wins the day. Wait, thats not the case either. Hm. So upon further reflection, the tales of battle and victory that we love the most, its when our favorite group is put up against insurmountable odds and still manages to win the day? That's just crazy talk!
I LIKE insurmountable odds! The harder the fight, the more you have to put forth. Unfortunately, what is usually put forth at my local gaming night is whining in epic proportions. "that mission wasn't fair!" " my models didn't come in the turn I wanted" " your list is cheese"
By that example, in the end of Star Wars, Luke would have sat down on Yavin IV, kicked his feet and whined " The Empire isn't fair! They brought at 5000 point super heavy space station, all I have is my droid and a lightsaber! Im not fighting them anymore, they play cheese."
If you didn't care for the Battle Missions, thats cool. Don't play them. Is it overpriced? Maybe, but GW COULD have made it $45! Don't deny it, you've seen it before!
Overall I think that if you look for it, you can find something of value in it. Hell, you could also have 4 other friends go in on it with you and only spend $5. After all, you aren't playing the missions alone.

Are you?

Doppleskanger
15-03-2010, 17:39
to be fair I played my marines against DE in feigned retreat and won 14 to 3 on kill points and the other game I witnessed was DE v orks in Blitzkreig which played to a draw.

Not sure these missions are as 'autowin' as people are saying, and with pre-arranged games using customised lists this would also be less of an issue.

Funny people should be saying it should have been free in WD, seeing that Spearhead was just announced as a WD supplement. How will people find away to say GW sucks about that one?

Alessander
15-03-2010, 17:47
Battle missions is for the "hardcore competitive" players who refuse to play anything in 40K that is not official by GW. Same people who refuse "house rules" because they are not legit.

toddznidz
15-03-2010, 17:51
I am a bit stunned at the overall negative reception for Battle Missions.

Compared to Cities, Planet Strike, and Apoc, it is infinitely more playable with models and terrain I already own.

Compared to Planetary Empires... do I even need to go there?

I found the scenarios to be surpirsingly balanced, and certainly written with a bit of fun in mind.

The changes are subtle, but have a profound effect on the way the games play out.

Since I emphasize all-comers in my own list designs, I found the book to be very refreshing, a good read, and something I will actually use far more frequently than some of the other recent supplements.

Carlos
15-03-2010, 18:01
BM is awesome!

I admit some of the scenarios are a little bit under developed but the idea is to get players using it as a basis for their own scenrios, to lift the creativity of the game which has gotten left behind in recent times and to give tournaments something official to use instead of the boring rulebook missions.

Playing them racially is a bad idea, but it gets a lot more fun when you randomise it. The random deployment tyranid mission is a great laugh and I loved playing the defence SM mission as my Tau. The mission was ridiculously balanced away from me due to the 6" no mans land but my deep striking crisis suits and fast attack almost saved the day!

Kill team is another great idea if you do something with it. It gives players a chance to collect a small 'army' of a race they wouldnt normally play, getting out the old necromunda scenery makes for some great games and its very easy to theme. Ive actually gone to the trouble of building a 3'x3' gameboard out of MDF just for killteam.

kendaop
15-03-2010, 20:03
Battle missions is for the "hardcore competitive" players who refuse to play anything in 40K that is not official by GW. Same people who refuse "house rules" because they are not legit.

Not true at all. Refusing to play most people's house rules is not only for hardcore competitive gamers. Many people don't understand the term "balanced" and they create house rules solely for their benefit. Additionally, it can get confusing when people propose 15 house rules just to make the game more interesting. Also, and more importantly, most house rules are just BAD! Getting multiple people to agree to a set of unofficial rules is very difficult, which is why IMO it's better to just avoid them in general, unless there is an obvious flaw in the rules which needs to be patched up.

DeeKay
15-03-2010, 20:39
Honestly, it depends on your gaming group and your own definition of what a "waste" of money is.

If your gaming group struggles to keep the game interesting, this may be a useful tool to have, simply to mix things up. If your gaming group already play interesting missions on a regular basis, then perhaps this isn't for you.

Oh, and I still feel slighted when people mention Kill Team. Seriously, if you're aiming for games of that scale, go for a decent skirmish system like Necromunda or even small games of 2nd Ed if you have the resources.

With regards,
Dan.

Logarithm Udgaur
15-03-2010, 20:58
Seriously, when I first heard that Kill Team was going to be in the BM book, I was all set to pre-order. Luckily I waited until some rumors popped through, and did not waste my money on it, when I already have the far superior Kill Team rules in my 4thEd rulebook.

Flying Toaster
15-03-2010, 21:23
Has anyone else seen the Battle Mission on the GW website called Close Quarters Action? I think it looks pretty awesome , the subtle changes in the game mechanic are quite ingenius really, I never would of thought of it myself, yet the scenario is pretty simple in itself.

heres a link:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=6900023a

DeeKay
15-03-2010, 21:32
Has anyone else seen the Battle Mission on the GW website called Close Quarters Action? I think it looks pretty awesome , the subtle changes in the game mechanic are quite ingenius really, I never would of thought of it myself, yet the scenario is pretty simple in itself.

heres a link:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=6900023a

Having just looked at it, I must confess I am intrigued. Whilst I'm all for changing the game and the like, I would have thought GW's approach to 40k was quick and easy. Why not simply have a system similar to LotR where one army move, then the next, the first army shoots then the second and so on? Would that be too much of a let-down or a cop-out for a PDF mission? Maybe. I'll just have to try it out.

With regards,
Dan.

GrogDaTyrant
15-03-2010, 21:47
Luckily I waited until some rumors popped through, and did not waste my money on it, when I already have the far superior Kill Team rules in my 4thEd rulebook.

As a player of one of the armies that took the shaft during 4th ed's 'Kill Team' rules... I think the current one isn't necessarily better, but at least I can field the proportionate amount of heavy weapons that my BS is balanced around. Let alone a squad-leader without breaking rules.

Crovax20
15-03-2010, 23:37
Having just looked at it, I must confess I am intrigued. Whilst I'm all for changing the game and the like, I would have thought GW's approach to 40k was quick and easy. Why not simply have a system similar to LotR where one army move, then the next, the first army shoots then the second and so on? Would that be too much of a let-down or a cop-out for a PDF mission? Maybe. I'll just have to try it out.

With regards,
Dan.

Last friday I played Killteam and the close quarters mission, and my opponent and I agreed that we might as well play LOTR for a more interesting experience... I have yet to do any other missions from the book itself, but the killteam and the one from the internet was a disappointment.

tuebor
15-03-2010, 23:37
Oh, and I still feel slighted when people mention Kill Team. Seriously, if you're aiming for games of that scale, go for a decent skirmish system like Necromunda or even small games of 2nd Ed if you have the resources.

I'd love to play Necromunda, the problem is getting other people to play it. Kill Team is easy enough to get people to play as they already know 40k's rules and own 40k models.

Helm
15-03-2010, 23:43
Kill-team is pretty damn good, considering how bloated and out-of-date in terms of armies the 4th ed version was.

As for the rest, gw really didn't need to make a book for it. It is seriously just meh. Nothing wrong with it; but nothing worth spending money on either. It's awesome having more missions, but it's something we used to have for free for every army and even when we didn't, there's always imagination.

As for it making alternate games "official"... it still doesn't. The rules are still optional, and if tournament people feel that the game is unfair they'll stick with their original objective games and ignore bm.

i'm not complaining. It's just that the whole thing's, well, pointless. Why couldn't have gw spent that time on something awesome?

Dangersaurus
16-03-2010, 00:11

Sad to say with the attitude of some people around here it didn't seem impossible for it to be serious. I've been pretty scattershot with my "ignore list" over anyone putting off that attitude lately (it's done wonders for my browsing experience here!), so I'm glad I read a bit farther. Even a smiley might have helped :cool:

e2055261
16-03-2010, 00:25
It's only just come out. Unless you've played all 30 missions a few times I can't really see how people are calling it a waste of money. There are only three standard missions in the rulebook, you'd think that 30 more would be welcome.

Corrode
16-03-2010, 00:28
It's only just come out. Unless you've played all 30 missions a few times I can't really see how people are calling it a waste of money. There are only three standard missions in the rulebook, you'd think that 30 more would be welcome.

No no you don't UNDERSTAND, when they said 30 missions I thought every one of them would be like shagging a supermodel just by virtue of their existence never mind playing them! Just getting a playable game isn't good enough, I wanted my own overhyped idea of what the book would be!

Ravenous
16-03-2010, 03:53

Having played a bunch of them the best way to describe the book is: Its "poop"

The missions arent at all useful, a lot of us were hoping for something that collected a bunch of the old missions from previous years and put them back together and added something to the game, instead its a series of one sided missions and the amazing glory that is kill team.

All in all I think we are pretty pissed we had to pay for this when it should have been online for free considering the sub par quality of the 30 missions. Hell the Astronomi-con tournament guys have 50 different missions that are better.

Occulto
16-03-2010, 04:08
All in all I think we are pretty pissed we had to pay for

...and who made you pay for it? :eyebrows:

Norsehawk
16-03-2010, 04:13
Doesn't the Baneblade player only score points if they get the Baneblades off the opposite edge of the board?

yes, but after everything with a powerfist, lascannon, or anything over strength 6 is turned into a pile of red mush, what is to stop me from driving off the board at my leisure. He had a Demolisher left, that was immobilized, a few bolter marines, a scout with a power sword, and a land speeder with its multi melta blown off. after I killed the last thing that could wound the tanks, instead of spending turns just moving plastic around the board we rolled to see if my tanks could pull off the win despite losing 1 tank in its entirety and the baneblade cannon being out of commission on one of the others. came down to a 50/50 roll.

Ravenous
16-03-2010, 04:38
...and who made you pay for it? :eyebrows:

The people that dont have a customer open copy and dont like you using their store as a library so you can nickel and dime them to death because it shouldnt be so much to ask that I can buy something without a preview and expect it not to suck farts?

LastManOnEarth
16-03-2010, 04:50
I've quite enjoyed Battle Missions. It is a very welcome break from the standard BRB 3x3 missions.

Some of the missions can be a bit lopsided if played with certain armies, but it doesn't necessarily make the games less enjoyable. Considering the the standard BRB 3x3 missions aren't well balanced for certain armies either, I wouldn't hold it against Battle Missions too much. At least when choosing BM missions randomly your army is about as likely to be advantaged as disadvantaged, and when they're unbalanced, at least they're unbalanced in new, different and interesting ways.

I would have liked the book to contain some missions with more adventurous scenarios and rule changes (the new SW mission of the website is a good example) and hope we see more such 'extreme' variants in WD/web/BM2 in the future.

LMoE

Geep
16-03-2010, 05:11
I was disappointed with this book. It's not terrible- subtle twists to a mission can be nice- but I was hoping for rules on seige warfare, trench fights, zero-g boarding missions, etc.
I find it funny that the first online supplement mission is the perfect example of what I wanted (and was free)- swapping the shooting phases of both players makes for a very different game.

Friedrich von Offenbach
16-03-2010, 05:13
I think that Gamesworkshop are just making up random ideas, such as battle missions, and hoping people will fall into their trap. The sad thing is many people do fall into the trap and buy a book of Thirty missions that you play once and then leave to rot under the couch

Occulto
16-03-2010, 06:04
The people that dont have a customer open copy and dont like you using their store as a library so you can nickel and dime them to death because it shouldnt be so much to ask that I can buy something without a preview and expect it not to suck farts?

And yet there are plenty of people for whom it does not "suck farts," as you so eloquently put it.

Which leads me to suggest that it's all very subjective whether you think this supplement is worth it or not.

Like so many things in life, you don't always get to try before you buy. Wine is a very good example and can be quite the lottery.

Cheeslord
16-03-2010, 10:37
I was hoping they would expand on the idea in the main rules - by rolling seperately for deployment and objectives you can greatly multiply the number of possible scenarios (they didn't use it well in the BRB - just 3 deployment x 3 objectives = 9 combos, but as you scale up the number of combinations grows by power law (geometrically? I have forgotten basic maths!).

A friend bought the mission book and we will try it eventually, but right now we are busy developing our own scenario generator based on the above principle.

Mark.

Dragonlover
16-03-2010, 10:37
So far I've played one mission, Black Crusade. I'm Chaos, my opponent is Orks at 1750. Normally, I'd never have played a kill point mission because I hate them, but I had so much fun in that game it was brilliant. Oh, and I lost 16-14 despite it being my armies mission.

Thing is, we'd never have thought 'OK, lets have everything that isn't a vehicle that dies go into reserve to come back again', cos lets face it it seems hideously unbalanced if you've never tried it.

D66 is definitely the way to go though, otherwise you waste most of the missions in the book.

Dragonlover

Jagged
16-03-2010, 10:41

Wrong! Don't blame them, blame your impatience that you couldn't wait to see the reviews. Then you could have read how we all thought it was brilliant and you could have blamed us instead. :evilgrin:

Blizzinam
16-03-2010, 11:17
I've played one game with it so far, as Space Wolves versus Imperial Guard. We played his "troops come back in" mission and i managed to pull off a pretty substantial win.

maze ironheart
16-03-2010, 11:49
I played one mission black crusade I play death guard so plague manrines and i faced nids now since I am fearless I get no re-roll to hit KINDA unfair really as like 11 things in our codex are fearless excluding special characters.

Tarax
16-03-2010, 12:00
I haven't played a mission yet, but I already have to say I'm disappointed.

No, not by the missions. I only read a couple and feel it's quite a change from the missions in the BRB.

I was disappointed by the spelling errors. Within the first couple of pages I already found 3 ('there' instead of 'their', 'and' instead of 'at', '33' instead of '23' for mission number) and in some missions there were more.

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 12:10

It's your own fault for buying it without flipping through it.

Benigno (WE)
16-03-2010, 13:08
I think that the missions give the game more posibilities. The missions aren't great, and cometimes they have little differences with the rulebook ones, but IMHO, they can change the way some rosters are built just for the standard missions.

The d66 is the best way to pick a mission, and then random the rol of each player.

Jagged
16-03-2010, 13:55
The d66 is the best way to pick a mission

Agreed and if you are concerned with balance (because these missions are deliberately one-sided) then play in both directions. Job done!

Xelloss
16-03-2010, 13:58

Sure. Next time : don't buy GW products. Nice advice. :shifty:

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 14:01
Sure. Next time : don't buy GW products. Nice advice. :shifty:
What are you talking about?

1.) Walk to store
or
Go online

2.) Flip through book
or
Read review
or
Read PDF
or
Ask online what it has inside

3.) Ponder

4.) Buy or not-buy:wtf:

Jagged
16-03-2010, 14:02
5) Read opinions of Warseer forumites

shandy
16-03-2010, 14:17
Not brought it but do plan to pick it up down the line however I have played a couple of the Missions and think it is a good product for a number of reasons:

1) I think the primary audience is for the newer as well as possibly the younger players- providing more variety to the game and also a structure for them to push on from in developing narrative led games rather than just x pts per side.

2) As someone has stated before its useful to all players as it provides an official set of Missions so that when playing people you don't know you can still have a different style of game should you wish to go outside of the missions in the main rulebook.

3) Making players adapt their thinking- on paper the Missions seem very simple but when you start to play them if you simply stick to your normal style you can struggle. Playing the hit & run Mission forces both sides to think outside of their comfort zones. People that I saw struggle with this Missions were the ones that didn't think through what was behind the Mission and went into normal kill point mode. The battlefield on fire one provided me with a great battle against guard\marine force as my deathwing.

4) Some Mission's are balanced, some aren't but there is nothing to stop the Mission being re-rolled if you both agree. I actually do like the idea of fighting against the odds. My perception is that they are not so one sided that one player is not going to have a good game.

5) It appears that some people who have either brought it or looked at it believe that they can do a better job. This is a good thing as it has stimulated them to actually develop the game as they see fit- unless they are already doing it in which case why would you buy the book in the first place?

6) Finally its good for the casual gamer who due to job\lifestyle etc doesn't have the time or inclination to put effort into developing their own missions etc and can just pick up and play with it.

Ravenous
16-03-2010, 15:14
Wrong! Don't blame them, blame your impatience that you couldn't wait to see the reviews. Then you could have read how we all thought it was brilliant and you could have blamed us instead. :evilgrin:

Exactly :D, I rarely listen to reviews (movies, books etc) anyway because they can be wrong or it can make up your mind before you've even seen it.

I bought the thing, flipped through it, tired it repeatedly and found it to be something you'd find in some dudes basement surrounded by dungeons and dragons stuff aka a wonky, annoying, half arsed excersise in futility.

I guess really in the end I was hoping that the book would provide something much better then the 9 missions with 12 random secondary objectives and consists of a mere 3 pages, that were printed for free on the tournament page years ago, unfortunately a few months after 5th came out it was taken down to build their new website :rolleyes:

So really the morale of the story is if you're going to give me something good for free, then later charge me for something basically the same, its quality better exceed or at least be equal to the free product.

I'll remember that next time I go buy a book from a book store that I'll read the entire thing cover to cover before I decide to buy it, hell next time I go to a restaurant I'll demand to eat my food before I decide to pay for it.

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 15:16
I'll remember that next time I go buy a book from a book store that I'll read the entire thing cover to cover before I decide to buy it, hell next time I go to a restaurant I'll demand to eat my food before I decide to pay for it.

:rolleyes: Ok, you do that.

If it was such terrible garbage as you claim, then 10 minutes of looking at the missions should have told you all you needed to know. It's not that complex, it shouldn't have taken you dozen tries to figure out that it was no good for you.

Baragash
16-03-2010, 15:58

No public libraries?

Col.Gravis
16-03-2010, 16:14
Hmmm I played a few of the missions during play testing, I can't comment on the editing, but I found them a rather enjoyable distraction and a break from the norm.

Now of course if your looking for a completely level playing field where two equally matched opponents have an equal chance of winning you could be disappointed, they're not tournament missions, they're to be played for the fun of playing alone, or as part of telling a story, in which sense they could make ideal campaign missions.

I'm kinda surprised to see the response they're getting in all honesty, but then I guess this is whin...I mean warseer.

Jagged
16-03-2010, 16:19
hell next time I go to a restaurant I'll demand to eat my food before I decide to pay for it.

Curiously that is the law in the UK. Restaurants may put prices on the menu but once you've eaten you are free to pay what you thought it was worth.

Good luck getting out alive though.

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 16:21
I'm kinda surprised to see the response they're getting in all honesty, but then I guess this is whin...I mean warseer.

So am I. :confused: This is exactly the direction they need to go in. They should balance the tourney lists, but mix it up for fun pickup games.

cptmachine
16-03-2010, 16:31
I think that Gamesworkshop are just making up random ideas, such as battle missions, and hoping people will fall into their trap. The sad thing is many people do fall into the trap and buy a book of Thirty missions that you play once and then leave to rot under the couch

I think your falling into the realms of conspiracy. GW is a company and companies need to make money, despite what people say they do some degree listen to their customer base (there arent many companies that dont that are still around) and people have for a long time been asking for more missions. Fair play to them for writing some up and putting them in a book for me to buy. It aint a 'trap' or 'con' its a supplement, if you wish to 'supplement' you game in this way then pick it up. I havernt picked up Planet strike since the idea doesnt appeal to me and my terrain wont support city of death but this is a great way (IMHO) to expand the game without the need to expand my model/terrain collection.

I do honestly wonder what most whiners though was going to be in it.

You guys do realise your the vocal 'minority' and in the grand scheme of things no one cares what you think. (my own opinion is included in that number)

Iverald
16-03-2010, 16:49
I propose to make a separate section named: Warhammer 40.000 Whining. I'm sick and tired of even *reading* the titles of these threads when browsing through 40K General. The world will surely end if there is one GW release not acompanied by cry of "chese1" "broken!" "useless!" or "what they were thnking!?!?".

Tarax
17-03-2010, 12:03
...they're to be played for the fun of playing alone, or as part of telling a story, in which sense they could make ideal campaign missions.

QFT, on both accounts.

I only play for fun. Heck, my (IG-)army isn't equipped to face most armies, but I don't care.

Jagged
17-03-2010, 12:27
I propose to make a separate section named: Warhammer 40.000 Whining. I'm sick and tired of even *reading* the titles of these threads when browsing through 40K General. The world will surely end if there is one GW release not acompanied by cry of "chese1" "broken!" "useless!" or "what they were thnking!?!?".

<.<

>.>

Sssh! Now you have stumbled onto the true purpose of Warseer expect to receive a PM invite to the REAL foum. ;)

Xelloss
17-03-2010, 15:05
I think your falling into the realms of conspiracy.
Doing a *$#@ product and waiting for customers to purchase it is either dumb, either a trap. He just incorrectly assumed GW wasn't dumb.

tuebor
17-03-2010, 15:53

Same here. I'm really not sure what people thought they were going to get out of this book but I'm happy with what I got.

Corrode
17-03-2010, 15:56
Doing a *$#@ product and waiting for customers to purchase it is either dumb, either a trap. He just incorrectly assumed GW wasn't dumb.

Or they produced a product they were happy with and thought people would buy, and have been proven correct when many customers are happy with it and purchased a copy. The company isn't 'setting traps' or doing the worst possible job, it's just releasing a product which it thinks will sell. This is the basis of a capitalist system. If the product sells, the company was right; if it doesn't then the company was wrong. They have no moral obligation to release something that's 'better' except to try and make more money.

Comrade Penguin
17-03-2010, 18:24
I love the new battle missions book. I've played three games with it and they have all provided unique and fun experiences. It's great because I was getting tired of those boring kill points games. These missions may not seem that unique when you read them, but once you play them they significantly alter the game. For example, I plated black crusade and I thought it would be a standard kp game. Turned out to be a blood bath with the same demon prince dying three times in a row and gants getting blasted off the board left and right. Great time had by all.

The nids, chaos, and space marines are by far my favorites. The Eldar and tau missions are awful however.