PDA

View Full Version : Collective terms for armies?

musical
14-03-2010, 20:54
I have been wondering is there a specific collective terms for each army in WFB?

For example:

Dwarf -Throng
Elf kinds- War host
Orcs and Gobins- Waagh!
Chaos Warriors- Legion
Undead- Hordes
Lizardmen- Swarm
Skaven- Verminous horde
Beastmen- Herds
Fishmen- School

Tomb Kings?
Ogre Kingdom?
Daemons?
Empire/Bretonnia

bigcheese76
14-03-2010, 20:57
Ogres- brood (mabey)
Daemons- could be a pack
Bretonia- charge (mabey)
Empire- I would say this is where the term army would be used.

Stuffburger
14-03-2010, 21:00
Well, empire and bretonnia are probably just going to call their armies armies, or maybe something grandiose like "Elector Joost Von Bergen's glorious army of Nordland"...

OK might be called tribes or hordes.

Daemons... probably depends on the god. Legion works for khornate, pestilent host or something for nurgle.

Lordsaradain
14-03-2010, 21:06
Dwarf -Throng
High Elves - Warhost
Wood elves - Guardians/Watchers/Patrol
Dark Elves - Slavers/Raiding force
Orcs and Gobins - Waaagh!
Chaos Warriors - Incursion/Horde/Tribe
Undead - Horde
Lizardmen - Host
Skaven - Infestation
Beastmen - Herd
Fishmen - School
Tomb Kings - Host
Ogre Kingdom - Tribe
Daemons - Legion
Empire - Battalion
Bretonnia - I'm sure there is a term for a mounted army but cant think of any atm

Edited some.

Mawchild
14-03-2010, 21:07
As far as Ogres go I think they are generally called a picnic of ogres, with the Ogres themselves refering to everyone else as a buffet of thinlings.

Daemons might be a manifestation, host, legion or warp depending on scale. Empire and to a lesser extent Bretts would definitely think of themselves as an army, battalion, regiment or squadron. Maybe for Tomb Kings a "rising" would be appropriate. I also prefer to think of skavan as an infestation.

Condottiere
14-03-2010, 21:09
Goblins - an Annoyance

Though that has murky D&D roots.

Solasun
14-03-2010, 21:19
I guess for Ogre Kingdoms it'd be 'migration' or 'tribe' or 'kingdom' depending on the size. I'd probably lump Tomb Kings in with either the elvish or human terms of 'host' and 'army.'

Grymlok
14-03-2010, 23:05
Lizardmen - Congregation. Hmm, the collective noun for crocodiles is congregation, but somehow I don't see it instilling anything other than a smile from your opposition. "Prepare to face the wrath of my CONGREGATION!!" Sounds more like a mad church preacher than something Kroq-gar might shout.

Perhaps the collective noun for Lizards: a lounge. So I'd be taking my Lounge Lizards to war. (sorry, very cheap but I couldn't resist).

Bretonnian would perhaps have "La Force Militaire" in keeping with the their gallic themed roots. However, Battalion being a French word would fit the Brets better I think. Bretonnian Bettalion has a ring to it.

Empire - I'd think they'd have to have the legion title or plain Army.

For Ogres I'd go for a "Chunk". Just because I like a little humour as its a hobby game and fighting an Chunk of Ogres would cheer me up no end!! Or back on to my collective noun venture what about the Otter's Romp. An Ogre Romp seems to fit nicely.

Unuhexium
14-03-2010, 23:11
This podcast might help... or maybe not but still related. http://www.whatyououghttoknow.com/show/2010/02/24/animal-groups/

Lord Dan
14-03-2010, 23:40
Bretonnians: A murder of knights

musical
15-03-2010, 00:54
Bretonnians: A murder of knights :evilgrin:

What about a Crusade of Knights

Kamenwati
15-03-2010, 01:27
I have always had a soft spot for the term Legion for my Tomb King forces. Unrelenting, unstoppable (Hey! Stop laughing, I can dream :P) and unending in their numbers until the foe must convince himself such an army must be a mirage. Right before they are cut down.

Valkyrie114
15-03-2010, 01:36
A kinband of Dwarvs
A Warhost of Elves
A Waaagh! of Orcs and Goblins
A Legion of Warriors of Chaos
A Rising of Undead
A Lisardmen Host
A Coven of Skaven
A Herd of Beastmen
A School of Fishmen
A Brawl of Ogres
A Hunt of Demons
A Corps of Empire
A Wing of Bretonians

Still nothing for Tomb kings.

Sygerrik
15-03-2010, 04:48
Skaven are a Horde. Undoubtedly. Orcs are a WAAAGH, and Ogres...
Come on, it's right on the book! A Kingdom! An Ogre "kingdom" is basically a tribe, and Ogres go to war as a tribe, under the dictates of the Tyrant.

TheZombieSquig
15-03-2010, 07:48
A troupe of wood elves? If there's lots of war dancers.

chaos0xomega
15-03-2010, 07:56
I have been wondering is there a specific collective terms for each army in WFB?

For example:

Dwarf -Throng
Elf kinds- War host
Orcs and Gobins- Waagh!
Chaos Warriors- Legion
Undead- Hordes
Lizardmen- Swarm
Skaven- Verminous horde
Beastmen- Herds
Fishmen- School

Tomb Kings?
Ogre Kingdom?
Daemons?
Empire/Bretonnia

I would like to point out that these 'collective terms' refer to specific sizes of forces. A group of 20 elf bowmen is not going to be called a warhost, more likely a raiding party. Likewise, 20 marauder horsemen is not a legion, etc.

Not just that, but a large part of the name seems to be what the leader wants to call it (for example, the Raven Host was a Chaos force).

Anyway, I would say Tomb King Horde (they are undead), Ogre Kingdom Tribe/migration/kingdom, Daemonic Incursion, and there is an entire hierarchy for referring to a military formation in the real world which I am sure will work pretty well for empire/brettonia.

static grass
15-03-2010, 08:22
Tomb Kings are a Corps surely :D

HK-47
15-03-2010, 08:32
I imagine that Tomb Kings would be "the grand army of *insert king's name*".

Bodysnatcher
15-03-2010, 08:55
Daemons are a Legion.

wizbix
15-03-2010, 09:02
Surely it has to be "a glittering ponce of High Elves" ? :rolleyes:

Bodysnatcher
15-03-2010, 09:09
Surely it has to be "a glittering ponce of High Elves" ? :rolleyes:

A pride parade?

Condottiere
15-03-2010, 09:42
Something needs to be termed the Grand Army, it sounds better in French, and so I'll nominate the Bretonnians.

ChaosVC
15-03-2010, 09:55
The collective term for each army is TOY SOLDIERS.

BigbyWolf
15-03-2010, 10:15
Empire would be "an army of..."

As for the others, you can't go wrong with:

A mince of Elves (any kind)
A noseful of Snotlings
A pint of Dwarfs
A clove of Bretts

Spoik
15-03-2010, 18:15
Shouldn't that be a half-pint of Dwarfs?

An iteration of Vampires.

A flange of Beastmen.

Kingbreaker
15-03-2010, 23:59
Empire: Kampfgruppe

Brets: A battle (the term has medieval precedents)

musical
16-03-2010, 12:01
perhaps

Lizardmen- Sacred swarm
Skaven- Verminous tide
Tomb King- Awakening

By collective terms I meant the largest force possible (3000+), like an apocalypse army in 40K, they had terms like Spirt Host, Wind Host, Aspect assault wave, Green tide, Spearhead, Endless swarms etc...

Shazarn
17-03-2010, 09:34
Dwarf -Throng
Elf - Troupe sounds the best
Orcs and Gobins- Waagh!
Chaos Warriors- Legion
VCs- Horde
Lizardmen- Swarm sounds best
Skaven- Verminous horde
Beastmen- Herd
Tomb Kings - i think Summoning
Ogre Kingdom - Warband or Sounder(group of pigs)
Daemons - Host or Legion
Empire - division or company
Bretonnia - Muster, thats it

Condottiere
17-03-2010, 09:39
Company is really a sub unit from an army, though Grand Company (like Captain General) would be acceptable for a loose confederation, like that found in a mercenary army.

Grey Mage
17-03-2010, 10:16

For example:

Lizardmen- Swarm

Host. Sacred Host even.

Spoik
17-03-2010, 10:27
An Immobility of Dwarfs.

A Forlorn Hope of Chaos Dwarfs.

A Pyjama Party of State Troopers.

An Unhallow of Necromancers.

A Thunderhead of Shaggoths.

Bodysnatcher
17-03-2010, 19:41
A gluttony of ogres?

Alltaken
17-03-2010, 21:44
a Th(r)ong of Dwarfs? I'd run as fast as I can from such unorthodoxely attired foes.
I assume such army will cause fear will all their units...

Condottiere
17-03-2010, 22:58
I'm fairly sure that the source that inspired GW's Trollslayers has them running naked, painted in woad; the clothing was added on later to keep the PG rating.

Sygerrik
18-03-2010, 00:51
I'm fairly sure that the source that inspired GW's Trollslayers has them running naked, painted in woad; the clothing was added on later to keep the PG rating.

Garagrim Ironfist, the Slayer SC from Storm of Chaos, is in fact nude. If you look you will see his mini-Slayer dangling between his legs. That led to him being called "Garagrim Iron... fist" around my FLGS.

ooglatjama
18-03-2010, 00:53
Daemons are cohorts
Ogres are a tribe or clan

musical
18-03-2010, 12:06
a Th(r)ong of Dwarfs? I'd run as fast as I can from such unorthodoxely attired foes.
I assume such army will cause fear will all their units...

Oh the mental image is terrible :eyebrows:

Having said that most of the Slayer model are almost completely nude, even the plastic one in the Skullpass set which I hope is wearing some loin cloth because his rear end is showing. I think they should cause Terror.

malussavage
18-03-2010, 12:40
The collective term for a group of rats is a mischief! A mischief of skaven? Lol.

The original name for a group of knights was a "lance", because originaly the group would be lead by a knight with a lance and u would have one with a big sword to hit things the lance knight didn't get etc. Aswell as others in the group. So a lance of brettonians?

Condottiere
18-03-2010, 12:43
Depends; I think it was the Knight, a squire, an archer/crossbowman, two infantrymen and a servant.

Cacodemon
18-03-2010, 13:41
Beastmen army would be a Warherd.

Shazarn
18-03-2010, 13:47
Knights have gotta be muster. Think of the rohirrim

Lord Dan
19-03-2010, 04:15
A buttload of goblins.

Kevlar
19-03-2010, 04:56
Skaven are organized into clans, not hordes.

stazba
19-03-2010, 08:29
Orcs and Gobins
-a few Orcs /only gobbos no matter the amount present = waagh!!
-Thousands of Orcs = Waagh!!!
-10s of Thousands of Orcs = WAAAGH!!!!!!!
-Ad infinitum larger font size/ exclamation points

Xynok
29-03-2010, 17:31
Daemon cohort
Skaven pack, mischief. swarm, plague
Bretonnian cavalcade
Woodelf kindred (possibly, depending on specifics)
Tomb Kings host
Ogre tribe

Histeria
29-03-2010, 18:34
How can someone call an army of Lizardmen a swarm? That's ignorant beyond belief.

The Lizardmen army is one of if not the most drilled force in Fantasy with their warriors being born for war only and training for war only and constantly.

"Host" would be the correct word. For example my army is "The Host of Hexoatl".