PDA

View Full Version : What do you listen to or watch while painting?

Hunger
14-03-2010, 21:53
Good evening warseerers (or good morning/afternoon/lunchbreak/insomnia-episode, depending on where you are).

Felt like sharing this with you - its what I watch/listen to while painting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDpKYJcUms

I put on a comfortable snuggly jumper, tilt my monitor so I can glance at it when rinsing my brush and allow myself to get lost in the warmth of Carl Sagan's relaxingly languid voice. Makes basecoating a squad of 30 a real treat.

Aside from being an wonderful summary of mankind's scientific progress at the close of the 20th century, I find his childlike dreaming of alien worlds and interstellar civilisations very appropriate and inspiring in relation to sci-fi wargaming. Just try to watch the Mars episode without feeling the urge to go build a desert games table!

All 13 episodes are available on Youtube, split into 6 or 7 parts, and helpfully they each come up sequentially as the current part finishes, although one of the episodes (I forget which) has had the soundtrack stripped off by Youtube.

So what do you listen to or watch when you're painting or assembling your figures?

bigcheese76
14-03-2010, 21:55
I just have a randomised playlist going on my phone and usually msn is there with a few convosations, and always Warseer. It means I get a bit distracted from painting sometimes, but I never get bored.

Dejay
14-03-2010, 21:58
Usually just random music via You tube, unless there's some football or something I can stream :)

Ulrig
14-03-2010, 22:03
I watch entire TV series.
Im on Weeds now, season 2. Started 2 days ago.

Arbiter7
14-03-2010, 22:08
Jazz and classical music.

MadHatter
14-03-2010, 22:12
I watch starship troopers (the frist one) for when i am painting tyranids as i feel it captures how they should be. Platoon or or other war movies. BSG or animie. History channel.

I listen to 40K radio or random music.

Neodymium
14-03-2010, 22:26
Cosmos is brilliant! :D

I've recently been listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cd36WJ79z4

I also listen to a lot of science stuff from Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, De grasse Tyson, Michio Kakum, thunderf00t, potholer54 and loads more. Science is awesome and makes Warhammer better!

Oh and lots of heavy metal too. because that's good. :shifty:

Ironhand
14-03-2010, 22:27
I don't watch or listen to anything - it spoils my concentration.

Morgrad
14-03-2010, 22:34
I'm usually in my buddy's man-cave with either movies we've seen 1000 times or History Channel on TV.

BigBossOgryn
14-03-2010, 22:41
If we are playing something like Apocalypse, then we usually go for movie soundtracks along the line of Conan, King Arthur and Starship Troopers. We have started using soundtracks from games such as Halo and Mass Effect too.

If I'm painting I usually watch TV series' on my laptop too. So far I have managed to watch House 1-5, Supernatural 1-4, Dexter 1-2, Farscape 1-2 and assorted films.

bossfearless
14-03-2010, 22:41
I like to put on a movie I'm not particularly interested in or don't have to pay attention to. "Chronicles of Riddick" is nice to paint to since I've seen it several hundred times by now. Whole seasons of TV shows on my computer, too. While recovering from surgery I spent weeks doing nothing but sitting in front of the computer painting space marines and watching "Rome." Titus Pullo is like the Forrest Gump of the ancient world.

Frostmane
14-03-2010, 22:46
Oddly enough, musicals.
Dr. Horrible's sing along blog
Once more with feeling
phantom
jekyl and hyde
on and on
quite the change from my usual classic rock/metal.

Deusmex
14-03-2010, 22:54
Another TV addict, I just watched Fringe Series 2 while building some devastators and scouts

Ulrig
14-03-2010, 22:55
Another TV addict, I just watched Fringe Series 2 while building some devastators and scouts

Season 2 is great so far

Spoik
14-03-2010, 22:57
Props to Frostmane for listening to Joss Whedon - penned musicals whilst painting. Odd but pleasing.

I listen to an eclectic variety of music, but sometimes with misgivings...

...I mean, I can't prove it, but I always imagine that a marine painted whilst I'm listening to Blondie will be less effective on the battlefield than one brought into being during, say, a Black Sabbath album.

susu.exp
14-03-2010, 23:11
Lord of the Rings extended version bonus material. Thereīs a lot of it, some of it is positively inspiring and the remainder is funny. It also (sacrilegous, I know) beats the actual movies, great as they are. But sound mixing on Return of the king (or digital effects) - thatīs high drama. There are too few movies with such excellent and exhaustive Bonus material (the only thing that campares to it is Lost in La Mancha, the documentary of Terry Gilliam failing to shoot "The man who killed Don Quichotte" - now in pre-production again).

Deusmex
14-03-2010, 23:21
...I mean, I can't prove it, but I always imagine that a marine painted whilst I'm listening to Blondie will be less effective on the battlefield than one brought into being during, say, a Black Sabbath album.

Depends. If its War Pigs , then thats an anti war song, and I think your marine would be better listening to Blondies Rip her to shreds.

Eldoriath
15-03-2010, 00:27
Audio books 95% of the time, and the rest 5% is music that I play on winamp on shuffle. Terry Pratchetts Discworld are books that you can re-read several times (most of them) and is a pure pleasure to listen to when Nigel Plainer or Stephen Briggs does the reading (which they do on most of the one I have). But I do sneak in some other books every now and then to get some new blood ;)

Wolf Lord of Croatia
15-03-2010, 00:41
I like to listen stuff like DreamEvil: Chosen ones or Hammerfall: Blood bound along with Warhammer 40k... Its soooooo goooood...

SandQueen
15-03-2010, 01:05
Tangerine Dream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5NNGDqvr4M) I like them for my Eldar

Hunger
15-03-2010, 01:26
Neodymium - definitely on the same wavelength. Michio Kaku is definitely one to listen to - his lectures on future thought are profound. Also love the Symphony Of Science series. What a shame Sagan is no longer alive.

Also happy birthday to Sabbath, friends and I celebrated their 40th birthday (and therefore the 40th birthday of Metal itself) the other weekend.

SandQueen
15-03-2010, 01:30
What a shame Sagan is no longer alive.

He'll always be alive in our hearts

e2055261
15-03-2010, 01:35
Usually my wife nagging me to: do some housework, wash child, change said child nappy, etc...

I'd just love to paint to the sound of silence at the moment!

noobzilla
15-03-2010, 01:47
I paint to good old Angels and Airwaves.

DCLXVI
15-03-2010, 01:49
I usually listen to some stompy EBM/Industrial/Noise or sometimes all three!

Hunger
15-03-2010, 01:50

He'll always be alive in our hearts

(and our lungs)

DuskRaider
15-03-2010, 01:58
It depends on what I'm painting. If it's my Chaos armies, it's usually something dark and archaic. I prefer Danzig's Black Aria 1 & 2 for my Death Guard, as does Corvus Corax, TOOL, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Eluveitie.

My Orks are a bit different. I like something more whacky and upbeat, like Dog Fashion Disco or Gogol Bordello. Classic Metal is good for this too (IRON MAIDEN, YES.) Actually last night I was listening to 3 Inches of Blood. Interesting band, they are.

Max Jet
15-03-2010, 02:11
Company works best for me. There is nothing like a friendly reminder of why you are doing this. It's not for yourself but for your oponents who will be pleasantly surprised by a nice looking beautiful army, therefore company and some nice discussions keep me going and going.

Aulbath
15-03-2010, 02:22
Used to be metal and soundtracks... however, I changed to electro (mostly stuff from the UK, BBC Radio 1 like Annie Nightingale, Kutski and Mary Anne Hobbes) and dubstep recently, and it's more relaxed somehow.

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
15-03-2010, 02:25
Rossini: "Stabbat Mater", Haendel': "The Messiah", Mozart or Berlioz or Faure: "Requiem", Carl Orff: "Carmina Burana" and so on...

djinn8
15-03-2010, 02:30
Nothing at all. Silence is golden and all that, but I do get a little discombobulated though when a hear what my absent inner voice is going on about. Usually random junk that I can't for the life of me think why I'd be thinking it. Stuff like: "Ones and two, it's ones and two and fridays thoughts", or some other random nonscene. The long periods of concentration and silence must have an effect on me similer to a deprevation chamber.

Anyone else get that or am I just a bit wierd?

baphomael
15-03-2010, 02:42
I *tried* to paint to over-the-top power metal, but found myself too easily distracted by making high pitched power metal screams while making the sign of the hammer and brandishing a sword. Its appropriate to 40k/fantasy, but really doesnt help in getting that squad finished off and based. As soon as I hear immortal lines such as "may your sword stay wet/like a young girl in her prime" all thoughts of painting disappear in favour of finding and axe, crushing some enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their women.

shabbadoo
15-03-2010, 02:42
I usually have the tv on in the background, usually tuned to the History or Military channel. If not that I have music playing(any of a number of styles/groups from classical and opera to alternative and classic rock). Or I have nothing on at all. Depends upon my mood I guess.

Fuzzymoldyork
15-03-2010, 04:51
There are only a coulpe of things in this world that I can effectively paint to:

1.Heavy Metal/Punk: still find it relaxing and it helps me to concentrate on what is in front of me.

2. A TV series: any show that I like but it has to be an episode I have already seen

3. Horror movies: it has to be horror, preferably slasher, simply because those movies are so predictible and usually have very little plot. FearNet is what keeps me painting.

Hrothgar
15-03-2010, 05:06
Well, I tend to go for audiobooks. So at the moment I'm listening to Peter F. Hamilton's The Dreaming Void. Perfect sci-fi in my humble opinion.

Messiahnide
15-03-2010, 05:14
Lately its been dr frasier crane as company while I paint, th oyher month it was lots of batman the animated series and before that transformers generation 1

3 0f 6
15-03-2010, 09:14
Depends what I am in the mood for!

Like most it is watching TV/DVDs, occasionally metal blasting out.

If I am assembling Nids, the longer the film/series the better!

Murrithius
15-03-2010, 09:25
Usually 'The Unit' to watch, if I listen, I just stick itunes on random: Evanescence/Avenged Sevenfoldetc,etc...

Naeni
15-03-2010, 09:37
Nothing too tense of fast, or I screw the whole thing up, as i discovered earlier... I should NOT synchronise my brush strokes with a drum beat! It was nice and sunny yesterday though so I had a chilled hippy music day

"If you're going to San Francesco... make sure your zombies.. wear flowers in their hair...."

howlinmonkey
15-03-2010, 10:39
I tend to listen to films and tv series as background noise. Currently 'listening' to Battlestar Galactica series 2, going through the whole lot! Recently got Ravens Flight and have started listening to it. It's ok, but the accents the narrator uses makes the marines all sound like cockney geezers! Which gives a new slant on the 40k universe!

RangeFinder
15-03-2010, 11:20
Normally the wife as she watches her medical drama/shows. This is in a good way, as this means I don't need to watch these shows.

Lord of Worms
15-03-2010, 11:24
I *tried* to paint to over-the-top power metal, but found myself too easily distracted by making high pitched power metal screams while making the sign of the hammer and brandishing a sword. Its appropriate to 40k/fantasy, but really doesnt help in getting that squad finished off and based. As soon as I hear immortal lines such as "may your sword stay wet/like a young girl in her prime" all thoughts of painting disappear in favour of finding and axe, crushing some enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their women.

Yeah, I've been there. :D:cool:

Now I usually listen to Therion's mellower compositions, Alex Jones radio, Coast to Coast or some random gaming podcasts.

Normally the wife as she watches her medical drama/shows. This is in a good way, as this means I don't need to watch these shows.
LOL. Its fun when you deconstruct how crappy the show is while she watches it. I remember I criticized the editing on CSI:NY for about half an hour once.

PaulmanMN
15-03-2010, 12:23
It's usually whatever I have recorded on the old Sky+ box. Family Guy, King of the Hill, American Dad, Cleveland Show, The Unit, Death Machines, Future Weapons, South Park, Adult Swim (when I can find it), amongst the loads of Blu-Rays I have as well.

Bloody Modern Warfare:2 still grabs a lot of my time if I let it, but I am getting better at not picking it up... but still... it calls me...

Naeni
15-03-2010, 12:28
What the hell is ADULT SWIM?? :eek:

EffigyoftheSwarm
15-03-2010, 12:39
Filosophem and Hvist Lyset Tarr Oss by Burzum at the moment

spekkiebig
15-03-2010, 12:58
I'm always listening to some music. Though i tend to tap along with the songs most of the time, wich is not good for keeping a steady hand.

Artic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Metallica, Common, Kanye West, The Black Angels, Wolfmother, Gnarls Barkley, Gorillaz, Killers, Interpol, Marduk, The Black Keys, Emperor, Guru's Jazzmatazz, Radiohead, Jay-Z, Cradle of Filth, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Wu Tang Clan, Dr. Dre, Silversun Pickups...

No tv or internet as that distracts me to much.

PaulmanMN
15-03-2010, 13:15
What the hell is ADULT SWIM?? :eek:

It's the block of animated comedy that used to be on here in the UK, and I think it is still in the states, that produced such animation madness as Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, and Robot Chicken... genius stuff..

Zoring
15-03-2010, 13:57
Entire TV series here as well. Usually british comedies (because their the best lets face it), lots of movies too (though lightish ones that i dont give much of a toss about since im not paying total attention)

Dr.Clock
15-03-2010, 14:16
War movies!

Painting to Band of Brothers, A Bridge too far etc. is really atmospheric. As long as you've already watched them a bunch of times, the time flies and you can get alot accomplished.

Even some lower-key anime (GitS etc) or cop-dramas can be nice (The Wire ftw!).

Cheers,

The Good Doctor

ManicMunky
15-03-2010, 14:25
What ever random film from the vaults, only have a TV/DVD player near desk (put specifically away from PC so I'll actually get some damned painting done!)

Col. Frost
15-03-2010, 14:27
When painting my Guard i tend to watch 'A Bridge Too Far' or 'The Longest Day' and when im painting my Bretonnians i tend to watch Mythbusters or one of the plethora of war programs on the Discovery channels.

When im just in the mood to paint anything, i watch The Cleveland Show, American Dad!, Family Guy etc

EarthAndAllStars
15-03-2010, 14:43
MST3K

I have most of the collection.

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
15-03-2010, 18:40
"If you're going to San Francesco... make sure your zombies.. wear flowers in their hair...."

:eek: LOL.
"all across the nation... such a strange contagion...
Zombies in motion...
There's a plague's corruption... with a new putrefaction
Zombies in motion... zombies in motion";)

incarna
15-03-2010, 19:07
History channel, science channel, or discovery. If degree's could be earned via television, I'd collect them like baseball cards.

Naeni
15-03-2010, 19:27
:eek: LOL.
"all across the nation... such a strange contagion...
Zombies in motion...
There's a plague's corruption... with a new putrefaction
Zombies in motion... zombies in motion";)

:D:D:D:D

Now THERES an idea for an army theme!

PxDn Ninja
15-03-2010, 19:28
Random stuff usually. Last time I painted it was to MC Frontalot's Nerdcore rising soundtrack. Time before that was Turisas.

Earthbeard
15-03-2010, 19:42
I paint rarely, but model lots. I normally watch random films or listen to my music library on shuffle while doing so.

I'm free to bask in such simple and glorious activities in my "man cave".

gwarsh41
15-03-2010, 19:48
I tend to listen to films and tv series as background noise. Currently 'listening' to Battlestar Galactica series 2, going through the whole lot! Recently got Ravens Flight and have started listening to it. It's ok, but the accents the narrator uses makes the marines all sound like cockney geezers! Which gives a new slant on the 40k universe!

I do the same thing, put on a random movie or turn on the TV.
Occasionally i let my computer play randomly though my music folder.

DonKarst0n
15-03-2010, 20:10
Jazz and classical music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD38neSK7ho&feature=player_embedded

Deftoneus
16-03-2010, 03:02
Generally I just put on the TV.
If Hockey is not on, i'll watch Discovery, A&E or something like that.
Ususally I'll try to find Criminal Minds somehwere.

wazatdingder
16-03-2010, 03:18
I usually watch movies with commentary since thats more of a listening thing and you can avoid getting caught up in the film. Plus, you should be able to paint an entire army in the time it takes to listen to them all on LOTR.

GypsyTears
17-03-2010, 05:29
The Conan the Barbarian soundtrack ;)

Sircyn
17-03-2010, 09:09
I've recently been having the six nations on in the background while I've been faffing with toys. The France Italy match didn't let me get much done though! The England - Scotland game let me make up lost time. >.<

usually I'll listen to music or have some sort of visual or aural media going on. I tend to get my favourite radio 4 programs listened to while painting and then fall back on late LATE night kerrang radio or death.fm to catch some new music or something I wouldn't normally listen to rather than grind a rut of music I do know and get sick of it for the repetition.

Palimpseste
17-03-2010, 09:11
Usually I watch old 60's french films ^0^ I don't know why but it helps me painting well or I watch a cartoon chanel .
But since I've started my Space Wolves I've started watching Saint Seiya while painting and I'm waiting for the Asgard fights !
The only music I can listen when I'm painting is Dream Theater , don't ask me why I even don't know >.< !

Crovax20
17-03-2010, 09:17
The news and financial news... I usually paint in the afternoon so I get the choice between news or teleshopping during weekdays :p.

Could turn on the radio, but I usually cba to turn it on.

Deakor
17-03-2010, 13:52
I typically either have the TV on (hockey or American football if it's on, movies I've already seen and know well work too) or a CD playing. I find Muse to be appropriate for when I'm working on 40K stuff. For some reason, songs like "Knights of Cydonia" conjure images of Space Marines mounted in Rhinos and on bikes tearing across some alien landscape.

Cheitan Shadowless
17-03-2010, 14:18
Half the time, I listen to YouTube favourites: movie soundtracks, anime soundtracks, mostly instrumental things. The other half of the time, I let this run in the background:

https://www.7chan.org/fl/src/vip.swf

BrotherCaptainS
17-03-2010, 15:32
I like to put aliens in the dvd player get my timing set up and quote the movie line by line as I paint. I love that movie. Game over man, its game over.

kendaop
17-03-2010, 16:46
I always listen to Coheed & Cambria or NoFX, as those are the only two who I have in my phone at the moment.