PDA

View Full Version : My Giant MVP

glacius
15-03-2010, 03:28
So my Ogre Kingdoms slave giant gets charged by a Beastmen Ghorgon.

Ghorgon does two wounds then I yell and Ball. He passes his check.

Next round Ead'Butt him, he cant do anything back

Another round Ead'Butt him, and he fails, and I chase him down.

Yeehah ;)

Ultimate Life Form
15-03-2010, 03:52
These things happen...

Obviously Ghorgons don't cope well with being headbutted over and over...

Though 'yell and Ball' sounds incredibly painful, too! :eek:

Commodus Leitdorf
15-03-2010, 04:28
I sometimes wonder how bad someones breathe must be for me to want to throw up my hands and go "That's it! I'm done!'

Then again, if it's THAT bad I think it's an experience I can live without...

ZigZagMan
15-03-2010, 04:32
Lmao, I almost missed that Ultimate. I'd probably want to flee as well if a Giant started yelling and wanted to "ball" me as well.

LaughinGremlin
15-03-2010, 04:37
giant's name: Gor-b-gon

A hard head beats horns on top of an extra thick skull, apparently.

on a side note--
Kroxigors' names: Krox-Al-Gores

Condottiere
15-03-2010, 16:26
Giants are a nuisance, that have to be dealt with either at long range or the first round of combat, or both.

Leogun_91
15-03-2010, 19:04
Giants excel at killing big things. Gorgons are big things. Giants are good at killing them.

R-Love
15-03-2010, 22:08
Giants excel at killing big things. Gorgons are big things. Giants are good at killing them.

Except it was a Slavegiant, which are terrible at killing big things. Trust me on this :cries: If the giant had rolled Throttle, He likely wouldn't have done anything and the Gorgon would have torn him apart...:(

Malorian
15-03-2010, 23:04
I was about to write the same thing R-Love. Slave giant vs anything ogre or bigger can be very bad news for the slave giant.

eyescrossed
16-03-2010, 03:49
Even fighting normal infantry can go very bad for Slavegiants with their lack of Stubborn.

Dag
16-03-2010, 09:15
dont slave giants still have thump with club?

god i love that. one of my constant opponents loves his treeman, and so do i!!!

init 2 hurts against that move.

ChaosVC
16-03-2010, 09:18
If the giant Yell for a Ball! Just give him the bloody Ball and it he will go away...

Leogun_91
16-03-2010, 09:24
Except it was a Slavegiant, which are terrible at killing big things. Trust me on this :cries: If the giant had rolled Throttle, He likely wouldn't have done anything and the Gorgon would have torn him apart...:(Ah...right....I kind of forgot that slavegiants are really bad against mostly anything, there are probobly one or two Low S big targets (Unicorns are S3 I think, it's S5 when charging but not for throttling results).

Condottiere
16-03-2010, 10:13
How much cheaper is the Slave Giant, than a regular one?

Leogun_91
16-03-2010, 10:45
How much cheaper is the Slave Giant, than a regular one?About 30pts if I recall correctly, chaos giants are more expensive for no added boon.

Condottiere
16-03-2010, 11:01
Doesn't seem much of a saving; I'll have to look him up and see if there's anything else on his profile.

Leogun_91
16-03-2010, 11:13
Doesn't seem much of a saving; I'll have to look him up and see if there's anything else on his profile.He allows you to have the giantbreaker bigname....not that it,s very effective but still.

architect
16-03-2010, 12:26
About 30pts if I recall correctly, chaos giants are more expensive for no added boon.

chaos giants have the awesome 'chomp' attack and can be given marks

Azethel
16-03-2010, 13:04
It is worth mentioning that a slave giant is NOT ITP. Therefore they can be put out as juicy charging targets, choose to flee and still get a Ld 10 rally. Not totally ideal but it has caught me out a couple of times.

Azethel
16-03-2010, 13:06
chaos giants have the awesome 'chomp' attack and can be given marks

Out of those the khorne mark is useless, nurgle and tzeentch marks so-so. Slaanesh ASF giants are pretty beastly though!

architect
16-03-2010, 13:13
Out of those the khorne mark is useless, nurgle and tzeentch marks so-so. Slaanesh ASF giants are pretty beastly though!

I run mine with mark of tzeentch; 6 wounds and a 6+ ward means 1/6 chance of making the ward, so you're kind of paying 20 points for an extra wound, possibly even more if you roll well. combined with the chomp attack when I set him on my mate's treemen makes for good survivability.

mark of slaanesh is great, but an ASF giant just doesn't seem right haha

Leogun_91
16-03-2010, 13:32
chaos giants have the awesome 'chomp' attack and can be given marksCan be given marks...yes, but it costs extra, they shouldn't pay for the choice. Forgot the chomp, it's probobly what costs extra.

It is worth mentioning that a slave giant is NOT ITP. Therefore they can be put out as juicy charging targets, choose to flee and still get a Ld 10 rally. Not totally ideal but it has caught me out a couple of times.So are Orcs and Goblin giants. It just so happened that causing terror and being immune to panic not caused by other giants makes ItP uneccesary.

glacius
16-03-2010, 13:34
Yeah slavegiants, may not be the most effective. And I can attest to that but the fluff aspects of a Giant is just awesome. Anytime I can field one I usually do. He is around 160pts. Iam sure the beastmen player thought those 7 attacks would slaughter him, but this giant was sterner than most. And never thought about using him as bait and flee. That would definitely surprise my opponents.

R-Love
16-03-2010, 21:53
dont slave giants still have thump with club?

god i love that. one of my constant opponents loves his treeman, and so do i!!!

init 2 hurts against that move.

No, Slavegiants have throttle with chain, which while an awesome image, goes against Toughness rather than Initiative. Usually means you'll only get it off on a 6.*

As if this isn't mean enough to the Giant, He also isn't Stubborn (even has a special rule to say he doesn't have a special rule - good use of space :)), and has another rule saying he is immune to panic caused by models cavalry sized or smaller in an army where said units can't cause panic anyways. When the rules for giants were being written, Slavegiants really got the short straw. And by, short straw, I mean they got the everloving crap beaten out of them by an ogre. :D

I'll use mine regardless, because there's nothing that shows how tough your tyrant is like the biggest thing he can find beaten into submission. :p

*It's hilarious when it works, however. Best time was when I rolled Throttle against a GUO and got a six for the toughness test and 11 wounds (none saved). :D