PDA

View Full Version : Namco WFB Teaser Video!

Morskittar
23-05-2005, 17:28
Gobbo Cam! (http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/media.php?video=759)

Namco subtly introduces Warhammer to the Namco family at E3 with a light-hearted teaser trailer...

During the hectic and high-speed atmosphere of E3 today the sight of a column mounted TV will have easily been missed. That column mounted TV was however the first unveiling of Warhammer, which is to be published on PC.

Although the minute long teaser was nothing more than a witty pre-rendered animation featuring an Orc and Namco mascot Pacman, it did set up the anticipation levels with the description from a Namco spokesperson that Warhammer is a “…next generation RTS title.”

When asked to clarify whether this meant Next Generation PC or Console, the spokesperson confirmed that it was in regards to the genre as opposed to a specific format - leaving us to think wildly what Namco have got in store.

How the game will actually push the boundaries of the RTS genre will remain to be seen, but as you can see from the video, Namco have no reservations about strongly associating themselves to their new franchise.

We’ll have more shortly

Baggers
23-05-2005, 18:47
I like that.

Imbroglio
23-05-2005, 18:53
Cool, looks like a first person game, probably in a similar style to DoW. Graphics look good, will be interesting to see what the game play is like.

-- Imbroglio

Tastyfish
24-05-2005, 00:03
The graphics are purely a advert thing and will have nothing to do with the actual game I'm afraid. Nice Tzeentch lord though

Shuya
24-05-2005, 00:59
what was that thing at the end killing the gobbos

anarchistica
24-05-2005, 01:29
The graphics are purely a advert thing and will have nothing to do with the actual game I'm afraid. Nice Tzeentch lord though
Tzeentch Lord? It doesn't look like anything to me. Cool stuff though.

Eversor
24-05-2005, 01:47
I don't like it. Too coolified... Looks like something that escaped from a heap of scrapped Rackham designs...

neXus6
24-05-2005, 01:54
Nice video...likely to be in game graphics, no, but then again the videos showing Unreal Tournament 2007 were as good as that.

m1s1n
24-05-2005, 02:35
I'm more interested in the concept than the actual video. It looks cool, but I really am more excited that there is a possibility of a good Warhammer RTS getting released. I love Dawn of War, maybe there will be hope for the Fantasy franchise.

neXus6
24-05-2005, 02:44
Well the fact that they are willing to put that much effort into the tiny demo video should mean that they will be doing the same with the game it's self.
I've played dawn of war a few times but a Fantasy game would be more up my street, and preferably one which is a little more traditional than DoW in the RTS department.

Drabant
24-05-2005, 07:52
I wonder what they mean with Next Generation though. How will it differ from the current generation? Hopefully we will see something that has a Warhammer feel to it, with morale and formations.

Cypher
24-05-2005, 09:05
If anything Id say that looks like a fantasy version of Dawn of War.

The whole thing with Pac Man is funny as hell. And I have no idea what that big thing at the end is. It's not a Tzeentchian lord, infact it doesnt really look like anything that currently exists in the game.

Still nervous about Namco doing this: they dont exactly have a record for making deep games.

Kargos Bloodspit
24-05-2005, 09:13
what was that thing at the end killing the gobbos

Could of been a Ushabti?

NetGuru
24-05-2005, 09:19
Wow, thats great! I love it how Namco are trowing their full wieght behind this venture, and hopefully we'll see a fantasy DoW some time soon..

Btw, i thought the big guy in the movie was a chaos giant, but the movie was small and not that good quaility.

Syaped
24-05-2005, 09:27
It's being developed by Black Hole studios, who did Armies of Exigo. I haven't played it so I don't know what to make of that. It got good reviews though didn't it? I know it had some nice cutscenes, probably because Black Hole do CGI for movies aswell. So hopefully we can expect some nice cinematics for the warhammer game.

The new warhammer game will supposedly focus on big epic battles perhaps ala Rome Total War. Intead of most smaller scale RTS's which usually revolve around sneaking into the enemy base and smacking at some buildings.

There's a small preview on Gamespot you can read.

rkunisch
24-05-2005, 09:54
It is very promising that they indeed are in developement of a Warhammer game. I think I will judge about it when more information arrive. The graphic is nice so far.

Have fun,

Rolf.

samael
24-05-2005, 10:01
I like what I saw in the movie, but it doesn't tell me one thing about what the game will involve.

So I'll just wait for some more info before I get all exited.

Tastyfish
24-05-2005, 16:53
Not a model of Tzeentchian lord, it looks exactly like the one from the Hordes of Chaos book on the Tzeentch page. He's even got the Tzeenthcian symbol on his back banner

I was really expecting the goblin to throw its axe at pacman..but hey

Frecus
24-05-2005, 18:39
Yes indeed, the killing thingy is from a picture in the HoC book. On the page about Tzeentch.

Looks nice too. I like RTS's, so this shoyuld be a blast!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Bubble Ghost
25-05-2005, 08:54
That. Is. Awesome. Screw the actual game, now that I've seen a Warhammer goblin vs. Pac-Man I can die happy. I'm going to have an endorphin surplus for days.

therisnosaurus
25-05-2005, 09:45
I must agree with the big BG here, OMFG that is awesome, gives me the urge to do a homer simpson and run around in circles on the ground goin' 'WOOPWOOPWOOPWOPWOPWOPWOOOOPWOOOPWOOOPWOOPWOPWOPWO PWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!'

on a serious note, what would *you* like to see as a key feature in a WHFB strat game. a few things that would be cool

-no buildings, things are 'built' offscreen and they arrive at the 'table' edge. some things like daemons can be summoned directly onto the battlefield rather than having to enter via an edge
-infantry come in blocks of 5 or 10 and cav come in blocks of 5. you can pin blocks together to make bigger units (so you can have 30 strong regiments by pinning 3 blocks of infantry together)
-musician and standard come as default, but the unit gets a champion only after earning experience
-another way of doing it would be to have preset armies, just like WHFB and fight it out realtime. I dunno, not a particular fan of this idea, but it could happen and I wouldn't care so long as I got to squish some 'oomies

anyone else got a really cool idea for what might be in there (read: what you really want to see)

Tastyfish
25-05-2005, 13:25
Thinking of Zoidburg I feel, therisnosaurs.

All for no buildings, though I don't know how popular that kind of thing is (seeing as I though it was one of the best features in Ground Control, but then they just changed everything I liked to make the second one).

Think with an empire side of things would be best for units rather than messing around pinning things. Just build a unit of set size and tag it to an army. Isn't this the things that is based of warhammer online with the mention of realm vs realms or is this yet another game?

Cpt. Drill
25-05-2005, 14:19
i think it looked like either a chaos lord or a tomb king! as it was white with bandages and stuff.. i think
it was awsome anyway!

Brushmonkey
25-05-2005, 21:10
I'm hoping Namco do a game of Warhammer Soul Caliber. Then we can finally see who would win out of Tyrion and Deathmaster Snitch.

By the way, what is that dancing biscuit thing in your avatar Cpt Drill?

Asher
25-05-2005, 21:42
I'm hoping Namco do a game of Warhammer Soul Caliber. Then we can finally see who would win out of Tyrion and Deathmaster Snitch.

By the way, what is that dancing biscuit thing in your avatar Cpt Drill?

Although, that be nice, I doubt it. It would not fit that well in the whole WH setting actually. Aborash wins!! :evilgrin:

That is Domo-kun. The star of some japanise short puppet movies. Some of them can be found here (http://s121167623.alturo-host.de/dk/).

twisted_mentat
26-05-2005, 05:53
ORCS WUR MAID FOR FOITIN!

*bloop* Waka waka waka waka...

sorry just imaginging pacman eating orcs

Al Neherim
26-05-2005, 12:30
I LOVE THAT VIDEO!
At first, when I saw PuckMan and the Ghosts I tought :wtf: ?!?
Then the goblin enters the maze and... well, I felt like a young guy with a new toy in front of him...
It is as from now on the Warhammer World has officially made his step into Videogames World... I'm so happy I'm :cries: tears of joy!

Then the battle sequence...
It is really chaotic and frenetic as a battle should be (It recalls me the battle sequences from Gladiator and Joan of Arc) and the big guy is definitely a Chaos Champion, probably with the mark of Tzeentch (If you pause the stream near him you can see his double face mutation).

Btw, some sites preview this title as a strategic. Could it be something like WarCraft III?

Tastyfish
27-05-2005, 00:41
As far as stragic goes yes, but get the feeling that most players of the game (and I think GW would be fairly careful on this) would prefer it not to be quite so generic as warcraft. Dawn of war has thrown down the gaultlet, its just up to Nameco to slap them back

Adept
29-05-2005, 11:20
anyone else got a really cool idea for what might be in there (read: what you really want to see)

I'd like to see something like Dark Omen or the Total War series, with a large campaign map, and seperate battles fought over it. In terms of gameplay, you could simply take a slightly modified TW engine and introduce a few things for monsters, mages, and so on. It would be a major dissapointment to see something ala Age of Empires or Warcraft, with individual or grouped warriors all fighting individually. I like the rank bonus, flank and rear bonus, formations and such that we get to use in WHFB and TW.

tzeentchgiant
29-05-2005, 16:01
The link isn't working for me, suggestions please?

TG

The boyz
30-05-2005, 10:42
Looks pretty good, what made me laugh was that little Goblin running around.

PSD
31-05-2005, 23:24
Like Samael, im withholding judgement.

Pretty video, but as with a lot of games in the past, that doesnt mean an awful lot.

Still, looks promising.

Kelroth
01-06-2005, 01:22
That was.. interesting. Not sure what it actually pertains to for a game, though.. maybe something Dynasty Warriors style?

Lordmonkey
01-06-2005, 02:01
Hmm... *narrows eyes*

Ozorik
02-06-2005, 19:48
What Id love to see is Warhammer: Total war. However I doubt Ill be seeing that anytime soon (you know it would be an instant classic Creative assembly).

Free flowing RTS games such as DoW have never worked very well in a melee orientated setting IMO, with the exception of Warcraft III. Combats always seem to end up in a massive scrum with no real tactics other than mass production of elite units.

Until I know more Im remaining sceptical about this.

Armies of exigo was okish and IIRC got middling reveiws.

Kelroth
02-06-2005, 19:58
Ozorik, there's a mod in production for exactly that - www.zodiak-productions.com

I'm sure it's already been mentioned here.

Crube
02-06-2005, 20:35
Pretty video, but as with a lot of games in the past, that doesnt mean an awful lot.

I agree - I work (and have worked) in games, and things like this all too often result in disappointment.... :(

The boyz
03-06-2005, 11:29
I agree - I work (and have worked) in games, and things like this all too often result in disappointment.... :(

Yeah I agree, I wont really be making any Judgement on it, untill I have sat down and played it. Or I have read a review on it.

BoosterX
07-06-2005, 13:32
That's a rendered movie.

It's not actual game play, it has nothing to do with the game itself.

They are just teasin people with a glimpse of a created universe.

Just because the video was First person, it means nothing for the end game. Since the game is over head like Age of Empires, but on a larger scale such as Total War.

Calgar
07-06-2005, 15:22
Anyone got a link to the WFB trailer video?

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-06-2005, 13:16
Thinking of Zoidburg I feel, therisnosaurs.

All for no buildings, though I don't know how popular that kind of thing is (seeing as I though it was one of the best features in Ground Control, but then they just changed everything I liked to make the second one).

Think with an empire side of things would be best for units rather than messing around pinning things. Just build a unit of set size and tag it to an army. Isn't this the things that is based of warhammer online with the mention of realm vs realms or is this yet another game?

I agree, the no buildings in Ground Control was brilliant. Made it far superior to most other RTS. GC II modified the concept, although I still think it works.

Sadly, DoW botched it I think. Looks like 40k, feels more like C&C :( Here is hoping that if they do a RTS it won't involve base building and mindless training of units.

The realm vs. realm is another game. The game Namco is building is not actually Warhammer Online. Thats the game the people behind DAoC is building, and thats the realm vs. realm one.

Ozorik
08-06-2005, 18:40
Sadly, DoW botched it I think. Looks like 40k, feels more like C&C Here is hoping that if they do a RTS it won't involve base building and mindless training of units.

I dont think that is very valid.

DoW is actually sensible about how resources are gathered and just how you can recruit units and how many of them you can have rather than mindlessly tank rushing.

Bland C&C clones are dross but well thought out resource based RTS games such DoW or WCIII can be excellent.

TW games are also about base building (in essence) and can be played by mindlessly training decent units but I still think it is the best RTS series I have every played.

I wouldnt mind this game being Dark Omen II or SOTHR III or whatever. Those games worked well and while wernt spectacular I still completed Dark omen about 8 times. I like RPGesque strategy games :)

The one and only James
11-06-2005, 01:06
Theres really not enough shown to make any judgement. But, I must say I would like to see another SOTHR game or something like the Total War Games.