PDA

View Full Version : How often do you play unofficial rules?

Whitehorn
15-03-2010, 15:35
I'm looking to gauge some numbers to see how relevant custom/fan-made rulesets are amongst the Warseer crowd.

Pink Horror
15-03-2010, 15:37
Given the way we usually solve disputes, probably every game.

Oh, you mean on purpose...

Whitehorn
15-03-2010, 15:43
Indeed. *chuckle*

Lord of Worms
15-03-2010, 15:51
I personally hate practically everything about 5th Edition, so we mostly use common sense amendments to 4th. The games are usually much more fun without deep strike all over the place and Kill point garbage.

GrogDaTyrant
15-03-2010, 16:12
I will on occasion make up unofficial scenarios or modified rules just for events. Such as large 10-player dreadnought wars, etc. Usually this has to do with just writing up a custom mission, some sort of ruling on how player turn sequence will handle larger amounts of players, and modding the FOC or giving some armies 'counts-as' options so that they can still partake in the event.

nedius
15-03-2010, 16:55
I always play at a my LGW, and as such people mostly toe-the-line GW rules wise. I would, however, happily play unofficial rules. But then, I've enjoyed making up 40k rules for xenomorphs, predators, daleks, triffids and so on in the past for daft little games with friends...

Oh, and I LOVE genestealer hybrids, whose existance is barely mentioned these days in anything official.

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
15-03-2010, 17:31
Very often.
1) Custom missions, which more often than not imply custom rules.
2) Quick troubles solving. (ie: Mawlock deepstrike, etc...)
3) Sheer fun... exemple: 2 Orks tribes fighting. What would the losers of a CC do, if their Nob get killed? Run? Or simply join the other mob which have a better Nob (the one who's still alive...)? Funnier the second way... But that kind of game IS VERY unpredictable!
Most important rule: have fun. This is the rule we never forget or ignore.

Petay1985
15-03-2010, 17:40
I and my gaming group use house rules and 'fan-made' untis a lot, including non-legal army lists and the like, this mostly to theme battles, forces etc... and usually is an attempt to bring things more in line with the back ground.

Examples that spring to mind are; Iron Warriors, Inquisition/Deathwatch, chaos (mix of guard and marines), etc...

Logarithm Udgaur
15-03-2010, 17:51
Every chance I get. Sadly, this is not that often.

Carlos
15-03-2010, 17:52
I and my gaming group use house rules and 'fan-made' untis a lot, including non-legal army lists and the like, this mostly to theme battles, forces etc... and usually is an attempt to bring things more in line with the back ground.

Examples that spring to mind are; Iron Warriors, Inquisition/Deathwatch, chaos (mix of guard and marines), etc...

Its a shame we dont but this is how EVERY gamer should play and how GW sees every gamer playing. Its commentary and supplements seem aimed squarely at the guys having fun at home trying new things and having a laugh, all the while the tourney guys are trying to build killer lists and are ignoring them and wonder if a unit is viable, as opposed to being fun to play with.

Thud
15-03-2010, 18:13
Rarely.

In my last game, though, my opponent mixed his army from three different codices.

MadHatter
15-03-2010, 18:54
I like custom missions, and using old armies which are no longer supported and have no problem with them being used.

But i generally do not deviate to much from the core rules to much. unless it is fully agreed upon before the game starts.

Easy E
15-03-2010, 19:43
Whenever I can get my opponent to agree.

Which is not very often.

Ironhand
15-03-2010, 20:16
Never have, never will. In my experience unofficial rules are badly thought out and generally an excuse for some fanboy to boost his particular army to ridiculous heights of excess.

Missions are something else entirely. I play a lot of custom missions.

NightrawenII
15-03-2010, 20:58
Whenever my opponent agree.
If I can get the permission I use my SCh captain and with friends, we often play "Capture the Flag".

DeeKay
15-03-2010, 21:04
I can't stand these people who insist on playing 40k without some modification. Seriously, the game is so full of holes you could run a Baneblade through some of them!

To properly play 40k, all you need are some dice, a tape measure and a few beers (or sodas for the young uns!) A relaxed attitude works wonders too!

With regards,
Dan.

Creeping Dementia
15-03-2010, 22:58
I haven't, and probably never will. I get too few games in as it is, wouldn't want to waste gaming time on some other guys version of a non-existant army. Hell, I don't even use official supplements much at all. I'm one of those weird hobbiests though, whose main focus is tournaments and am into stuff like competition. Thats sort of looked down upon round these parts.

Ronin_eX
15-03-2010, 23:08
I love writing custom rules and scenarios for games I play. During 2nd Edition I did it a lot. With current editions I've found homebrews one of the only ways to get a fun codex sometimes and I have an extensive house rule doc for it as well (still need to test most of it as I don't play 5th much).

With other games I do it to a greater or larger degree. Most of the time it is custom scenarios though.

Bunnahabhain
16-03-2010, 00:05
Whenever I can.

I'm used to playing other systems, and altering rules. 40k has lots of easily improved bits, so if I can, I do.

My Guard, I have balanced homebrew rules for storm troopers that actually have a job, a Vanquisher that isn't a worse tank-killer than half the rest of the codex, and a few other easy improvements that very few people have objected to...

Draconian77
16-03-2010, 00:12
All the time. I'm not sure that you could even play the game without patching it up by yourself in the first place. (Those are just minor issues.)

I'm also not a big believer in TLOS, a lot of our casual club games use an abstract system based on a models type/base size.

the1stpip
16-03-2010, 00:22
I dont use special rules, and will only play unique missions in a campaign. I also try to make sure any unique armies that I may build fit easily into one codex.

However, I will never say never. The 40k campaign weekend last year had an Ork Mek army with lots of weird and wonderful stuff. Would have loved to do that.

e2055261
16-03-2010, 00:40
Actually, I thought that you could easily tick more than one box. It does depend mostly on who you are playing. I try not to tamper with the core rules too much since this generally leads to bigger holes in the rules elsewhere. It always looks bad when you try to improve your own codex; I'll notdo that.

SandQueen
16-03-2010, 02:20
I've never played any alternate rules. Never really had access to them.

wazatdingder
16-03-2010, 02:22

Welcome. Let me introduce you to the internet. Behold all its glory:D

NightrawenII
16-03-2010, 12:19
Welcome to the wonders of internet. Tempus Fugitives (http://www.tempusfugitives.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=15&Itemid=60) and Fly Lords of Terra. (http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/2009/09/40k-mini-dex-logo-sheet-archive.html)

Ambience 327
16-03-2010, 14:27
Check my sig - you'll know my answer. :D