PDA

View Full Version : Guess X" Weapons (Seriously?)

elvinltl
15-03-2010, 16:53
Is it for fluff sake or for toning down powerful weapons? I am curious.

I understand in Warhammer Fantasy where shooting units are rarer and chances are you'll have to be guessing all your artillery. But in 40k, people can easily park a 48" firing range shooting unit beside the guess weapon and blantantly cheat by shooting the 48" firing range weapon first. (Measure the distance to check whether it is within range and remember it... and "Guess" the range for the other weapon.)

SPYDER68
15-03-2010, 16:54
Umm, there arent Guess weapons in 40k anymore.

Murrithius
15-03-2010, 16:55
In 40k, you no longer have to actually 'guess' the range.

Gx" under range basically stipulates that it is a Barrage weapon, and may fire at targets out of LOS...

Ninja'd again!

elvinltl
15-03-2010, 17:02
Ok... confusing rules with similar prints. They changed the rules in the latest edition? I was looking at the Eldars' Support Weapons option D-Cannons and it states G24".

Gearhead
15-03-2010, 17:05
And your scenario would not work. Back when you did have to guess, such weapons had to be fired first to prevent such shenanigans. Of course, there was always "accidentaly" guessing onto combat, which is one reason the rule was changed.

SPYDER68
15-03-2010, 17:06
G24 makes it a barrage weapon.

And goes off the barrage weapons in rulebook.

Instead of guessing, you place the template anywhere you want.

Then see if its "within" the weapons range.

And if its not within the range, then the shot is lost.

So a G24 weapon, if you place it 25" away you lose the shot as you didnt guess if it was within the weapons range where you placed it.

Murrithius
15-03-2010, 17:07
Yup, it means you can fire at anything within 24", regardless of whether you can see it or not, with some scattering of course.

Pg 32 BRB for full rules.

elvinltl
15-03-2010, 17:14
And it being Artillery mean that you can deny them of cover save from their own troops. Excellent for the current edition. I think I should give them a try.

MadHatter
15-03-2010, 17:14
And your scenario would not work. Back when you did have to guess, such weapons had to be fired first to prevent such shenanigans. Of course, there was always "accidentaly" guessing onto combat, which is one reason the rule was changed.

It was not an accident, it was a tactical loss. :cheese:

Deetwo
15-03-2010, 17:56
And it being Artillery mean that you can deny them of cover save from their own troops

Artillery is just their unit type and it has nothing to do with ignoring cover saves.

The term you are looking for is "barrage" ;)

Vaktathi
15-03-2010, 19:28
Guessing range for barrage weapons was removed in 4th edition.

Fixer
15-03-2010, 19:38
Indeed. Due to constant systematic abuse :)

"I guess range to that marine there." *points to assault marine in pysical contact with looted Basilisk* "37 inches! Which just so happens to hit all your marines bunched in close combat with a couple of Sluggas."

This would happen pretty much every game. It was the reason that the Eldar player fielded D-Cannons.

Anyway, I think the only weapon left with guess range in 5th edition is the Tau Airbursting Fragmentation launcher.

catbarf
15-03-2010, 19:55
I am very glad that the system has been changed. You're a general, not an artilleryman. They came to the same conclusion in Battlefleet Gothic years ago, that the player shouldn't be responsible for aiming the Nova Cannon and it could be used for some beardy shenanigans. Now if only Fantasy would drop it too...

naloth
15-03-2010, 20:39
I am very glad that the system has been changed. You're a general, not an artilleryman. They came to the same conclusion in Battlefleet Gothic years ago, that the player shouldn't be responsible for aiming the Nova Cannon and it could be used for some beardy shenanigans. Now if only Fantasy would drop it too...

Yes. I would add to that list of beady issues the potential for canon sniping (yea, the line passes through that guy and I'm going to guess a little high to be on the safe side... oh, it hit the guy in/behind the forest... lucky, I guess) and guess weapons that end up in CC as well.