PDA

View Full Version : Necrons (moved from Blood Angels Thread)

Pages : [1] 2

necrons2011
15-03-2010, 17:23
Hello, I can't start a thread.

I have some information regarding the development of a Necron codex. I do not normally come on Warseer, but thought you would appreciate this information – hence the small number of posts. You have no reason to put faith in me – and I am not prepared to prove my validity at potential detriment to my career. I do not want to specify my exact employment with Games Workshop for this reason.

Necrons have completed the initial concept phase of their line expansion. Release schedule is currently for January 2011.

This conceptual phase has been stop-start for some time – it is a product range that has massive potential, and Games Workshop have been very uncertain of the most lucrative theme by which to capitalise on its fanbase. The development is considered a high-risk investment – a commitment problem that the team is well aware of, and is exacerbated by there being multiple such high-risk line expansions currently being pursued.

3 multi-part plastic kits have been finalised as:

- Immortals
- Spyders
- The Necromancer

Immortals are on a large (35mm) base; they are redesigned as larger, bulkier and more dynamic.

Spyders have 3 different builds

The Necromancer is the central sell of the line expansion and has been the focus of much of the early design process. It has been through several incarnations (and names), but is essentially of the same principle as the Bone Giant for the Warhammer Fantasy range. It has a mechanised skeletal torso housing a suspended crystal, and will likely have a choice between two horrific weapons.

That is all the information I can disclose. I will not post any more.

I would like to add that development staff are getting very frustrated by headquarters’ increasingly tyrannical policies – within and between departments – with regards to information restriction. It’s absurd, and unnecessary.

Eoloran
15-03-2010, 17:31
Interesting. I hope it's true.

Ph4lanx
15-03-2010, 17:35
My girlfriend now has a VERY hard decision to make, considering she has just started a Necron army :)

Ba'al Starslayer
15-03-2010, 17:35
Sounds very interesting... I like the way GW seem to be making them more in-line with their "Fantasy Counterparts" - The Undead. The Bone/Necron Construct (The Necromancer, surely it should be called the NECRONancer? :P ) actually sounds like a really good idea. Necrons really do have alot of things that can be added. This is a great teaser and even if it is fake, it's something to keep hold of! :P

Scelerat
15-03-2010, 17:39
Wow, that sounds really cool. Also, the insight of GW employees is always interesting on many levels.

Starwolf
15-03-2010, 17:44
Good to see Immortals and tomb spyders as plastic. Maybe I'll actually buy a spyder when that happens.
I assume the Necromancer is a special character, as that is the way things have been going lately. I don't know that I fully appreciate a faceless horde getting special characters, but if Nids get them then so will Crons.
I hope it's true. At least, I hope the release date is true.

Lord Damocles
15-03-2010, 17:46
essentially of the same principle as the Bone Giant for the Warhammer Fantasy range
Sounds suspiciously like a(/the) Setekh to me...

EDIT:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l202/LordDamocles/Setekh.jpg

Lyinar
15-03-2010, 17:48
Given that this person posted it in the Blood Angels summary thread (and the fake rumours that people put out regarding them), I'm inclined to take this with a fair amount of salt.

Crooked-1
15-03-2010, 17:49
I hope these rumours are true cuz
i´ve been starting up a small necron force lately.

Slashattack
15-03-2010, 17:55
Sounds good. Although I would have thought black templars will be released then, due to GWs marine love.

Inquisitor Engel
15-03-2010, 17:58
*sigh* Another army I will have to steel my resolve against starting...

InquisitorThor
15-03-2010, 18:00
I heard they will also add some necro-dancers in the form of belly dancing necron girls :p

More seriously, I would love to see a bigger necron construct and based on the developments seen with plastic lately and the trend towards larger and bigger kits it is something plausible. Wait & See ...

rmthedude
15-03-2010, 18:10
If Necrons come out next year I will eat my lord's hat!

SPYDER68
15-03-2010, 18:13
Its to early to tell, or know if this is true, i know for one wont go by it until there is at least 3-4 different sources.

Daemon Prince Adramalech
15-03-2010, 18:19
If Necrons come out next year I will eat my lord's hat!

How would you like it cooked sir? Rare, Medium perhaps Well Done? :D

Psyberian
15-03-2010, 18:19
More seriously, I would love to see a bigger necron construct and based on the developments seen with plastic lately and the trend towards larger and bigger kits it is something plausible. Wait & See ...

Well based purely on speculation, rumor and conjecture it seems good. If you look at the source that was the inspiration for the Necrons, or at least appear to be to some of us. The most recent movie had a giant robot blowing holes in buildings and such. I wouldn't be surprised if we got bike riding Necrons to. Ok, that would be kinda cool. Flanking bike riding necron warriors all meshed with the bike speeding across the battlefield. With twin linked gauss rifles coming from the back of the bike like the ork bikes.

aka_mythos
15-03-2010, 18:22
It all sounds good and worthwhile. True or not I hope it happens.

I wonder how long its going to take BoLS to take this and run with it like its fact.

Gargskull
15-03-2010, 18:25
Well based purely on speculation, rumor and conjecture it seems good. If you look at the source that was the inspiration for the Necrons, or at least appear to be to some of us. The most recent movie had a giant robot blowing holes in buildings and such. I wouldn't be surprised if we got bike riding Necrons to. Ok, that would be kinda cool. Flanking bike riding necron warriors all meshed with the bike speeding across the battlefield. With twin linked gauss rifles coming from the back of the bike like the ork bikes.

Stuff like that would make Necrons so much more interesting imo, I've often wanted to paint a few, but only a few.

Fah Uhl
15-03-2010, 18:28
Hmm necromancer, MC or Dread? Sounds interesting!

VonManstein
15-03-2010, 18:30
I hope its true. If they just make the next Necrons codex interesting to play with and I'll start them. I really like the look of the army (yes also the current models), their codex is just plain boring on the long run. Heck even on the short run.

The good thing is, they cant make it worse!

x-esiv-4c
15-03-2010, 18:32
Interesting to see that they consider it a high risk venture.

Sildani
15-03-2010, 18:33
Many, many thanks for this information. This may well qualify as the best first post anyone's ever made.

As for the Dev team getting frustrated with HQ, I wonder: how many "Suits" are running GW these days, and how many of the "old guard" still have a say?

Being a pointy-ear addict, I must ask: could you illuminate the thought process/kits/miniature appearace of the Dark Eldar as you have done here?

Gargskull
15-03-2010, 18:34
Sounds suspiciously like a(/the) Setekh to me...

EDIT:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l202/LordDamocles/Setekh.jpg

That thing looks very cool.

gorgon
15-03-2010, 18:37
Yeah, given that we've seen some fairly elaborate hoaxes lately, this is to be taken with a pretty big grain of salt. Especially the amount of wishlisting we've had on the subject. Tomb Spyders being more modular with different builds is something I've shamefully promoted for a while (although not as shamefully as my idea to make Pariahs HQ/upgrade character choices, LOL).

IMO, one of the more believable things in there is GW considering it a high-risk project and weighing it carefully given other high-risk projects on the way (DE?). There's no actual great insight with that comment, but it does seem believable and an accurate comment on the state of the product line.

The mentions of the conceptual stage being "stop-start" is likewise believable. I've said for a long time Necrons are a bit of a conceptual mess as is (space undead/straight horror/Terminator/Lovecraft/robots). GW is no stranger to the mishmash concept, but in this case I don't think they mesh well. Sleek, streamlined Warriors fit the "robot" theme but not so much the Lovecraft angle (in which case you'd expect them to be more ancient and ornate). Not to mention the fact that the horror themes would suggest that *fear* should be a central component of the army both in fluff and in gameplay. It's there in spots with Pariahs and Flayed Ones, but for the most part fear (a horror concept) takes a back seat to WBB (a Terminator theme) as being the Necron "thing" on the tabletop.

Personally I just want to see them pick a direction and carry it through.

LususNaturae
15-03-2010, 19:30

Bike riding Necrons.....

You mean Destroyers?

Raibaru
15-03-2010, 19:35
I don't understand why they could consider it a high risk venture when the sales of the line are directly tied to the near total lack of support GW has given the range.

I'm going to guess the other high risk ventures are Dark Eldar, Tau, and non-marine marines.

Practically anything but Chaos, Space Marines, Eldar, Orks, and IG could probably be considered 'high risk' by GW :(

Zothos
15-03-2010, 19:42
Makes me wonder if more support for these armies by GW would result in them being less "high risk".

I have gigantic Tau, Necron and Chaos "Night Lords" armies. It is sad when 2 of the 3 are not very competitive in the grand scheme...the Chaos one is viable but somewhat bland. Here is hoping that this rumor comes to fruition and we see new Codices for these armies that need it and not a new color marine of the month.

havik110
15-03-2010, 19:47
Interesting to see that they consider it a high risk venture.

Its not a mech list. Its at best a tough horde shooting list or tough jetbike shooting list...If they stick them in transports welcome to more marines...

I don't understand why they could consider it a high risk venture when the sales of the line are directly tied to the near total lack of support GW has given the range.

Welcome to what I have been saying about my dark eldar for 6 years...

Atherakhia
15-03-2010, 19:49
i don't like the idea of this "Necromancer"
whatever happened to the big spidery thing "housing the glowing crystal", that kicked the ass out of the Imperial Guard (was it IG Codex? I cna't remember)

NOW THAT would be AWESOME

gorgon
15-03-2010, 19:53

I'm going to guess the other high risk ventures are Dark Eldar, Tau, and non-marine marines.

Practically anything but Chaos, Space Marines, Eldar, Orks, and IG could probably be considered 'high risk' by GW :(

While what you say regarding support is true, look at it with a bean counter's perspective. They sold well early on, then sales steadily declined and have likely nearly dropped off the cliff. I think if anyone looked at that downward trend they'd have a little concern about whether a relaunch will cause sales to reverse course in a significant way.

Especially if the qualitative data suggests Necrons originally sold well thanks to their strength in that metagame and ease of painting (remember boltgun metal spray paint?). That opens up real questions as to whether the fan base actually wants or will want the product on its own merit.

Personally, I think Necrons done right would sell. But I understand why they aren't considered a sure success. I think a nice start would be to move away from the notion that Necrons have to be a "boring" army. I know why some fans like that aspect of the army, but IMO that's a label that turns people off to Necrons far more than it appeals to them.

de Selby
15-03-2010, 20:01
I don't think there's anything too shocking in this rumour. Plastic Immortals are long overdue, the spider is a big metal kit and GW hates those almost as much as hybrids, and people have been talking about a necron bone giant even since before Terminator Salvation.

I think anything that isn't marines, IG or orks is considered high risk at the moment. It's obviously a self-fulfilling prophecy. I am slightly surprised not to see any new vehicle kit for necrons since that is where GW is making their money these days. I guess that 'Necromancer' or tomb spider variants might fill the place of tank kits in the necron range: so they will be large and expensive in £ per point.

Lord Damocles
15-03-2010, 20:20
i don't like the idea of this "Necromancer"
whatever happened to the big spidery thing "housing the glowing crystal", that kicked the ass out of the Imperial Guard (was it IG Codex? I cna't remember)

NOW THAT would be AWESOME
That would be bigger than most 40K boards :p

(Tomb Stalker from Medusa V campaign):
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l202/LordDamocles/TombStalker.jpg

A smaller version as was [perhaps] hinted at in Index Xenos: Necrons would work nicely though.

aka_mythos
15-03-2010, 21:22

...Welcome to what I have been saying about my dark eldar for 6 years...
It has more to do with the quantity of work and models that would need to be produced. DE are practically 100% new. Thats alot of money to invest for a risk adverse company that only shows a consistency of profit from Space Marines from new people coming into the hobby. Necrons with their relatively short list of units similarly require a large investment for thei update.

It does amuse me that GW pushed all the easiest projects first so they could have more time to focus on these more involved projects and that now they're sweating it now that its come time to do what they planned.

asura
15-03-2010, 21:25
It seems difficult to believe someone like that. Anyone could take a pseudo and register to announce something...Since Dark Eldars are highly expected by the fans, why wouldn't it be DE? A hint for the pseudo: Darkeldar2010...

Games Workshop's ultimate goal is to sell the figures that they currently have in their stock, that includes the Necrons. Therefore, I perfectly understand that they would avoid to communicate about a possible new army, or at least about redone units (such as immortals since they could still sell the current ones).
However, what I don't understand is why they don't communicate about profiles that don't have any models!? Why releasing a gaming profile and then, maybe, a model? GW is known for producing miniatures before games (those are created to sell the miniatures)...I'd like to give some examples: thunder cavalery, swarmlord, alpha tyranids with dual boneswords, seekers of slaanesh (where will they put the 2nd daemon wave in their schedule???)...

Actually, there is 50% of chance that Necrons will be released in 2011: either it's true or not :D

Sargarius
15-03-2010, 21:36
The plastics sound nice if true, though I think Flayed ones would benefit to in plastic (their hands ALWAYS fall off).

As for the Tomb Stalker I have always wished FW would do a model of it, just for the heck of it. Though I do think it would be made a tad smaller than the moon-sized spider that it is.

As far as most rumors seem to be going codex's are apparently going xeno-imperium-xeno and so on. So if you say DE-Inquisition-Necron that would fit what most rumors are saying, if they are all true....which is not always the case.

PxDn Ninja
15-03-2010, 22:25
I have a feeling this rumor is pretty false. That being said, I hope the Necromancer bit is a lie. From the description it sounds terrible.

I wouldn't mind a large Titan for Apoc though.

All I want is Gauss Weapons to work better against vehicles, and for our prices to be adjusted (if they don't fix gauss).

I would also like a new Tomb Spider model that actually looks like a monsterous creature.

Vaktathi
15-03-2010, 22:55
If all this is true then it is great news. Can't wait to see a new necron book.

that said, are we getting anything between BA and this?

Prokrustes
15-03-2010, 23:00
Why oh why no new plastic pariahs?

Sons of Sanguinius
15-03-2010, 23:02
I wonder how long its going to take BoLS to take this and run with it like its fact.
HAHAHA! QFT! I suspect by tonight or tomorrow. :rolleyes:

So lame though, I mean, I could post the same thing. "I'm not going to defend myself and I'm not answering this post but here's what I've heard: blah blah blah"

Seriously? I'm surprised this wasn't closed already.

I know, I'm going to make a new account, and call it "Necrons2012" and say, "I know everything that's in the book. I work for GW and here's a little bit of what I know" and see what kind of responses I get. The reason I shouldn't do this is the same reason this thread should have been locked. It's fake and a waste of time.

I love my Necrons and they do not appreciate the teasing. They will slumber further until there is a new book in-hand.

blurrymadness
15-03-2010, 23:11
Funny thing is, if they make the codex even as bare as the Ork codex (low numbers of options per unit) they would still have a far more fleshed out codex than they have now.

I'm a little miffed at the immortals bit, as I just finished converting about 18 of them recently. Maybe there'll be an in-between warriors and immortals unit, or a warrior upgrade so I can find a use for them and new models..

EDIT: Thinking on it, it makes sense the order of their releases. They've used a whole set of reliable releases to pump themselves up before all these potentially disastrous releases.

Look how it's come: CSM, Orks, Space Marines, IG, Space Marines, Tyranid, ...Space Marines..., and now we have rumors of Inquisition, DE, Necron codices all coming up? Seems entirely plausible that they've been wanting to do these but need a good jumping point and the market for the last decade has been horribly unstable (2 full bore market crashes). Boosting all they can before a dangerous area is just what anyone with good business sense would do.

Hoarmurel
15-03-2010, 23:34
However, what I don't understand is why they don't communicate about profiles that don't have any models!? Why releasing a gaming profile and then, maybe, a model? GW is known for producing miniatures before games (those are created to sell the miniatures)...I'd like to give some examples: thunder cavalery, swarmlord, alpha tyranids with dual boneswords, seekers of slaanesh (where will they put the 2nd daemon wave in their schedule???)...

I agree with you in all of this. Why are they including such powerful options in the last codex (say Tervigon, Thunder wolves, Stormraven...) without a model or even some info about it?
I thought GW was a model company :rolleyes:

On topic. All this post (i mean the first one) is really strange, If this guy is really working for GW, I think he could launch the info contacting with one of the 'reliable people' or one of the mods... And would be actually believed by all. Posting it himself does not show more credibility, but the opposing.

pointedstick
15-03-2010, 23:52
So lame though, I mean, I could post the same thing. "I'm not going to defend myself and I'm not answering this post but here's what I've heard: blah blah blah"

Seriously? I'm surprised this wasn't closed already.

It's fake and a waste of time.

I love my Necrons and they do not appreciate the teasing. They will slumber further until there is a new book in-hand.

If you aren't going to contribute anything, why bother posting? You have no idea, and it is every bit as valid a thread as any other, no reason why it should be closed.

I have a feeling this rumor is pretty false. That being said, I hope the Necromancer bit is a lie. From the description it sounds terrible.

So you know nothing about it beyond a large metal giant creature, and already decided it is rubbish? Is complaining about something that wouldn't be out for at least nine months a new warseer record? ;)

Many people are talking about Necrons being well under way, and they are likely to be out in the next year, so people could easily have some idea of what it will look like. Personally I am hoping they end up being more than simply marine equivalents, I would love to see Necrons going back to the sort of race they were in second edition, very small nigh indestructible armies, I still recall the battle report with necrons vs sisters of battle.

As to selling, GW has a good number of races, neither too many nor too few, and I think every race is going to sell well, from marines to Dark Eldar and Necrons, so I hope they will forge ahead with this.

Joewrightgm
16-03-2010, 00:02
This makes me very happy. Necrons were my first and longest serving army in 40k, and I really hope they bring more of the undead flavor to them.

I also hope that they keep the ominous and ever present conspiracy theories rampant in this codex; for me, that was one of the main draws.

As to the rumors of models: Immortals, yes please! I've always loved the concept and the way they work in game.

Spyders: Interesting choice, and it will be cool to see what direction they take them in rules wise so that everyone may need/want one.

Necromancer: I await with bated breath for this mini; it sounds positively epic, and I think it scratches the itch many necron players have had for a walker-sized 'warrior'.

Sons of Sanguinius
16-03-2010, 00:03
If you aren't going to contribute anything, why bother posting? You have no idea, and it is every bit as valid a thread as any other, no reason why it should be closed.
I did contribute something. I am disgusted by the fact that you people accept anything other people post nowadays as fact, just like the BoLS comment. I mean, come on, the guy has 1 post and SAYS he won't respond. Sure it has a place in the news & rumors category but like all other trash rumors and unsubstantiated claims it will not be acknowledged and will fade away after a few days.

I would love to see Necrons going back to the sort of race they were in second edition, very small nigh indestructible armies, I still recall the battle report with necrons vs sisters of battle.
Necrons existed in second ed? I thought both their WD article and Chapter Approved article were in early/mid Third Edition with their codex hitting in late Third....

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 00:08
I did contribute something. I am disgusted by the fact that you people accept anything other people post nowadays as fact, just like the BoLS comment. I mean, come on, the guy has 1 post and SAYS he won't respond. Sure it has a place in the news & rumors category but like all other trash rumors and unsubstantiated claims it will not be acknowledged and will fade away after a few days.

Necrons existed in second ed? I thought both their WD article and Chapter Approved article were in early/mid Third Edition with their codex hitting in late Third....

It is a rumour thread, he has a rumour *shrug* nothing to be gained from simply saying it is a lie.

Yes they did, old metal models, they gave away a free metal warrior on the cover of a white dwarf, number, hmm, 217? I reckon it is about there, third edition came out WD 226, nine months later. Warriors got up from pretty much anything at all, and if a destroyer was destroyed, the pilot could climb out of the wreckage as a warrior. Also scarabs were anti vehicle suicide bombers, you could attach them to a specific vehicle armour side and it reduced that facing's armour value..

Hoarmurel
16-03-2010, 00:25
It is a rumour thread, he has a rumour *shrug* nothing to be gained from simply saying it is a lie.

But I think Sons of Sanguinius has part of reason, Why post it for himself and don't contact with mods or somebody more reliable that could post it?
Everyone would believe it then.

I don't say this guy is lying, only thing I say is pretty strange...

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 00:28
Nothing strange about posting a rumour you have, it wouldn't necessarily occur to everyone to tell a mod first.

rabblerouser
16-03-2010, 00:34

Yup... 97 or 98. I remember them being very powerful, but the models were so-so and they were very expensive. That's not counting chaos androids...

Asher
16-03-2010, 00:34
I guess Son of Sanguinius is still a bit traumatized by the Linksys incident. :p

Anyway; while the info and his username seems a bit off, there is no reason to doubt the poster just because he has 1 post. In those 5 years of warseer, I have seen a few such posters who delivered quality information despite posting for the first and only time.

Just sayin' :angel:

The Dude
16-03-2010, 00:45
That's called Moderation. Don't worry about it ;)

Mannimarco
16-03-2010, 00:47
The Dude here seems pretty trustworthy when it comes to the rumour mill

anything to confirm/deny?

The Dude
16-03-2010, 00:58
The Dude here seems pretty trustworthy when it comes to the rumour mill

anything to confirm/deny?

How much money you got? ;)

Seriously though, I haven't heard much beyond "they are in the pipeline" so no, nothing to add.

No reason to be rude to necrons2011, but then again, no need to take it as gospel just yet.

If this is true, I'm more interested in the comments about the studio's attutude towards the rumour lockdown.

I'd like to know what The Voice has to say about this...

vampiricus
16-03-2010, 01:19
35mm base for the immortals? Unless there are plans to introduce a whole new base size, (doubtful) 40mm would be the choice yes?

That right there makes me wonder the validity of this post

Gazak Blacktoof
16-03-2010, 01:29
Thought somebody would pick up on that- its not uncommon for people to make simple errors when posting and I'd hazard a guess that the same is true when posting rumours.

Not sure if I like the sound of a giant necron as a unit choice- I'd prefer it as a lord option- so he gets to look down on the tiny people as he crushes them with his tecnomancy. IMO necron lords are all about the fear and the ego trip.

Its nice to see my favourite 40K army mentioned again, fingers crossed they get somewhere close to the massive expectations of all the current necron players.

Voss
16-03-2010, 01:50
I guess Son of Sanguinius is still a bit traumatized by the Linksys incident. :p

Anyway; while the info and his username seems a bit off, there is no reason to doubt the poster just because he has 1 post. In those 5 years of warseer, I have seen a few such posters who delivered quality information despite posting for the first and only time.

Just sayin' :angel:

To be fair tho', Sons has a point. There's been an awful lot of garbage (not just BA, but over in the fantasy section too) thats been accepted as gospel, gotten people up in arms about it, and then turned out to be complete trash.

Part of it is the way people react, but an awful lot is blind acceptance of anything by people who simply want there to be news about <whatever codex they're interested in>.

A little doubt may be healthier for the forum than over-acceptance.

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 01:53
Or people could just discuss rumours without making assumptions either way, you don't have to form an opinion about their veracity, simply consider the rumour. No need for anyone to be rude about the original poster, doesn't mean people are blindly accepting anything.

jspyd3rx
16-03-2010, 02:02
So this Necromancer is the new cron equvilant of a trygon. hope it is just as big. Also hope that the tomb spyder is just as kool as the tervigon.

Sons of Sanguinius
16-03-2010, 02:07
Linksys incident?

Asher
16-03-2010, 02:09
Linksys incident?

He/she wrote the fake BA dex. The Bolter&Chainsword user Linksys is presumably responsible for the confusion.

Joewrightgm
16-03-2010, 02:11
Well, the thing is the Tomb Spyder had the Tervigon trick before the Tervigon; Cruddace just turned it up to eleven.

I would like to see what the other 2 variants of spyders will be. I'm hoping they're not including the particle projector upgrade in that count. If history teaches us anything, must have and leave at home units will reverse as the pendulum swings back the other way.

Voss
16-03-2010, 02:12
Or people could just discuss rumours without making assumptions either way, you don't have to form an opinion about their veracity, simply consider the rumour. No need for anyone to be rude about the original poster, doesn't mean people are blindly accepting anything.

That would be contrary to past practice, however. So perhaps it does need pointing out.

MajorWesJanson
16-03-2010, 02:21
I agree with you in all of this. Why are they including such powerful options in the last codex (say Tervigon, Thunder wolves, Stormraven...) without a model or even some info about it?
I thought GW was a model company :rolleyes:

It seems they are planning ahead with this wave release thing. When selling models, GW likes to have something to sell them around. Mostly it is the codex, but future waves have been around impressive models, like Ork with the Battlewagon, Guard with the Demolisher, ect. If they sell all the cool models longside the codex, there is nothing left to build a ton of hype for the wave release. This way they can advertise like "Thunderwolf (and a few characters)" "Tervigon/Tyrannofex box! (and some metal kits). It just gives them something to build hype around.

They are also seeming to do this with themes, like Planetstrike "Terrain!" Battle Missions "Walkers!" and Spearhead "Tanks!" Maybe next we will see Boarding Actions "Elite Infantry!"

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 02:31
GW likes to have something to sell them around. Mostly it is the codex, but future waves have been around impressive models, like Ork with the Battlewagon, Guard with the Demolisher, ect. If they sell all the cool models longside the codex, there is nothing left to build a ton of hype for the wave release.

Possibly, or the models just aren't ready for release and they are trying to get the codexes out, we have had a good number of releases lately, nearly getting on top of everything.

Joewrightgm
16-03-2010, 02:33
Also, on the rumor side of things: I think its always appropriate to treat each rumor with skepticism, but shouting down people who are posting in good faith seems wrong to me. If you are skeptical, say so and support your reasoning.

Low post count is never a reason to discount rumors in their entirety, but as Linksys proved, caution is almost always required.

Seeing Steppingonyou over in the fantasy rumor area effectively stand down from rumor-mongering because Avian kept trashing his posts, as well as others piling on was sad for me. This guy/girl was posting in good faith, trying to stoke the fires and get people talking; which rumors should always do, but he kept getting shouted down without, I think a fair chance to be heard.

I thank anyone who is brave enough to post on probably one of the most brutal forums to do so.

The Dude
16-03-2010, 02:35
No need for anyone to be rude about the original poster, doesn't mean people are blindly accepting anything.

This is important to reiterate. Being polite is paramount. That said, if you know something is false, and can prove it, please point it out.

I would rather people who place false rumours are crushed early on. I did a lot of detective work in an attempt to get to the bottom of a lot of the Blood Angels rumours.

Use the Search Function. Find the posters previous posts and check what was true and what wasn't. Who's supporting it, who's denying it, and who's noticeably absent from discussion altogether?

For example, our good friend Daemon Prince Adramalech has shown support for this rumour. Consider that (s)he also said the following:

The veil parts......a shadowy figure pulls itself into the material plane....

The Daemonic entity scryes into the future........images flash briefly before his eyes like a sudden a violent storm..........winged jump packs.......wrist mounted storm bolters.........relic blades.......the vision fades......a smile plays across his bestial visage......

The shadowy figure fades back into the warp......

And that was in January. I determined this post to be the source of many of the later made up rumours, and it accurately describes Sanguinary Guard (apart from the fact they don't really have Storm Bolters).

Do I take this as absolute proof? No. Lots of things can change over that amount of time. I will, however, lean towards believing this one.

For the time being :shifty:

Seeing Steppingonyou over in the fantasy rumor area effectively stand down from rumor-mongering because Avian kept trashing his posts, as well as others piling on was sad for me. This guy/girl was posting in good faith, trying to stoke the fires and get people talking; which rumors should always do, but he kept getting shouted down without, I think a fair chance to be heard.

Not to drag up old coals, but as far as I can tell with this situation (which I only really had a brief look at), Steppingonyou was actually telling big fat porkies, but nobody wanted to listen when this was pointed out. Sadly the whole situation could have been handled better, such as in the manner I outlined above ;)

I'd like to see more posters doing this kind of detective work. It's really going to be necessary in the future if GW keep this level of secrecy up.

Kurgash
16-03-2010, 02:41
I don't want to build up hope, for that is a mortal emotion. I will simply wait, our patience is eternal. We waited eons for new life to grow for the reaping, we can wait a little longer to grow our forces...

ForgottenLore
16-03-2010, 02:48
I don't get people's surprise here. Most of this rumor is stuff we have already heard or is just common sense. Over in the Dark Eldar rumor thread there were already ramblings that necrons would be in 2011, probably early. The Tomb Spider is one of the most obvious candidates for a plastic kit left in the 40K range so no surprise there. That they are also upgrading one of the infantry units to plastic is also not surprising. That they are making a new, large, splashy figure for the next codex is simply a given. The only thing in the original post that I consider a "new" rumor is that the big fancy model is going to be more like character/monster than a new type of vehicle. Everything else just seems like confirmation of what has already been rumored.

Like the Dude, I thought the most interesting bit about the post was the supposed attitude of the development team to GW management and current policy. To me that sounds like trouble. If the working environment is becoming obnoxious enough that the game designers and creators are becoming disaffected it could mean that GW is going to see more turnover in personnel, which would make the product quality less consistent and probably less good, which would feed a downward spiral. that's very pessimistic on my part and entirely speculative, but that is what I got out of it.

Voss
16-03-2010, 02:58
I don't get people's surprise here. Most of this rumor is stuff we have already heard or is just common sense. Over in the Dark Eldar rumor thread there were already ramblings that necrons would be in 2011, probably early. The Tomb Spider is one of the most obvious candidates for a plastic kit left in the 40K range so no surprise there. That they are also upgrading one of the infantry units to plastic is also not surprising. That they are making a new, large, splashy figure for the next codex is simply a given. The only thing in the original post that I consider a "new" rumor is that the big fancy model is going to be more like character/monster than a new type of vehicle. Everything else just seems like confirmation of what has already been rumored.

Unfortunately, 'obvious' doesn't make for an accurate rumour. That was probably the most insidious things about the linksys debacle- it was a combination of reasonable and well established rumours with a bit of common sense applied to the list itself so it looked 'reasonable'. Like yourself, I wouldn't be surprised at new plastic kits for immortals and tomb spyders, and a new big thing has been the hallmark of the last several GW releases. Its as likely to be reasonable guesswork as it is insider information.

Like the Dude, I thought the most interesting bit about the post was the supposed attitude of the development team to GW management and current policy. To me that sounds like trouble. If the working environment is becoming obnoxious enough that the game designers and creators are becoming disaffected it could mean that GW is going to see more turnover in personnel, which would make the product quality less consistent and probably less good, which would feed a downward spiral. that's very pessimistic on my part and entirely speculative, but that is what I got out of it.

That in itself is suspicious. An insider going to gripe about internal politics on a public forum that he doesn't intend to post on again is... odd. Its a job risk for no real gain.

Sons of Sanguinius
16-03-2010, 03:05
That in itself is suspicious. An insider going to gripe about internal politics on a public forum that he doesn't intend to post on again is... odd. Its a job risk for no real gain.
My point exactly.

The Dude
16-03-2010, 03:05

necrons2011 could just as easily be someone who is in frequent contact with the design staff as a member of staff themselves. If the frustration is really at that level, it wouldn't be at all surprising for a friend to feel the need to express it publicly on their behalf, especially considering the amount of flak they cop in places like this about the lack or rumours.

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 03:08
Ultimately this debate is just going to go round and round in endless circles until someone respected on here makes a definite statement, even then people will argue.

TimLeeson
16-03-2010, 03:20
Id hope these rumours are true, but until I hear more I will take it respectfully with some salt :) a new tomb-spyder, plastic immortals would be very welcome. I'd like to see them go further with the lovecraftian-terminator theme more, as it mixes two things I love together perfectly for me. They are my joint fave army with Enslavers.

Zanzibarthefirst
16-03-2010, 03:36
The only thing I'm interested in is plastic immortals. Many thingelse is just stocking filler

Inquisitor Engel
16-03-2010, 04:55
The only thing I'm interested in is plastic immortals. Many thingelse is just stocking filler

This is remarkable - Add a plastic Lord in there and the Necrons have suddenly become an "all the good stuff is plastic" army...

vampiricus
16-03-2010, 05:25
gimmie those plastic immortals! im tired of converting a box of warriors. Even if it IS cheaper, takes too long! lol

Kelvan
16-03-2010, 09:08
I wonder what Harry know about this rumours.

howlinmonkey
16-03-2010, 09:38
I think the only thing that has stopped me expanding my Necron force is the actual monetary cost of doing so. Immortals, pariahs and flayed ones are expensive to build up squads, and even if you manage it, the points cost is just as restrictive! All Necrons should be done in plastic, now would be the time to drop the metal ones from production.

Daemon Prince Adramalech
16-03-2010, 10:24
And that was in January. I determined this post to be the source of many of the later made up rumours, and it accurately describes Sanguinary Guard (apart from the fact they don't really have Storm Bolters).

Heh well they have Angelus Bolters which are effectivley Storm Bolters with half the range....I can't give up all my secrets in one go now can I :)

Tymell
16-03-2010, 10:39
Interesting info. Nothing in there strikes as especially unlikely, though January 2011 might be a tad on the optimistic side.

I don't think folks should start bouncing around saying "Necrons are coming start of 2011!", but this original post is something to bear in mind at least, for nearer the time.

incomplete
16-03-2010, 10:57
This is quite nice. A small hint of a rumor, with some tasty food for thought/speculation. I am not terribly interested in the "truth" of the rumor at this point, it's nearly a year off! Come this autumn, I'll be hoping for substantiated rumors, but for now, this is enough to pique my curiosity. Necrons were my first army, and they sadly became boring quickly. Some unit variety, some fine-tuning to WBB and phase-out, and I may be heading back to the Tomb Worlds.

Malagate
16-03-2010, 11:21
I'm with Tymell on this, file away the information posted and then review it closer to the time, see how it stacks up. Until then we can only apply thanks to the bearer of news, so as better to encourage news bearers and only go down the negative path when something can be confirmed as poppycock. Innocent until proven guilty, so I'll take it in good faith that they're sincere.

Of course, if Voices accompanying Men bearing Pies show up and chortle at this anonymous report, we could safely assume that it is total rubbish. The fact that there has so far been no reliable sources saying that this rumour is rubbish does give it some plausability, but of course our other sources might just have not gotten around to commenting yet/are unsure/don't want to get involved/want to watch us squirm at horrid lies and refuse to put us out of our misery.

Would Harry & co set us straight if randoms are trolling us? Assuming they know something that counters the original poster's claims of course...there's also the assumption that Harry & co wouldn't necessarily confirm a rumour either (job security, mysteries of life, etc) whereas I'd be hopeful that they would shoot down falseties.

Still, plastic tomb spyders would be a dream (recently put together a metal one, grrr...) and plastic immortals are a sure-fire winner (I only bought 1 Immortal, never assembled it as it was so disfigured as to be almost impossible to bend back into shape without breaking it...I've got 10 old school metal Immortals that fit together just fine though). Not too sure about a base size increase though, I mean sure if it's really quite big and imposing then yes I could see it, otherwise why? I always thought of big base sizes as being good for assault units, Immortals are something I would never use to charge into anything...

A large Necron walker I'm in two minds about though, something about the size of an Ushabti relative to Warriors I could see as a bipedal walker. Bigger than that (as in Bone Giant size) I'd rather reserve for something that's not bipedal, as in more big spidery things. It would just seem better to me that way, unless they really blow me away with a new concept of course.

I would appreciate a stronger direction for the Necrons as a whole too, yes keep the ancient menace, but will they go more terminatory or Lovecraftian style? I would like them to keep the mix, maybe drop some of the fear elements as frankly fear based attacks are pretty much useless in 40K at the moment. More anti-psyker themes would be appreciated by myself as well.

Souleater
16-03-2010, 11:25
Immortals might end up being to Warriors are what PA SM are to Terminators (or Even Ork Boyz and MANs). I.e even larger than they are now. They could certainly push up their base size.

If Necron are to be a 'tough to kill' army then they will need to get a lot beefier considering what BA and Nurgle can do.

I hope there is some incoming Necron love, btw.

Malagate
16-03-2010, 12:44
Here's a thought, I'm going to start a "New Necron army" fund. I'm just going to put aside a minimum of £20 and a max of £50 every month until January 2011, starting next payday. That'll be 10 months of saving for this rumoured release, so a minimum of £200 and a maximum of £500 just for Necrons. That should make a tiny improvement in sales figures that might just help GW release that "Oh, new xenos releases can make money too!".

Heck even if the rumour is not true, it'll be nice motivation to actually save some of my money instead of spending it as quickly as it comes in >.> That's at least one good reason for the veil of secrecy to be lifted when it comes to future releases...

Iverald
16-03-2010, 13:06
I think there is no reason not to give the OP some credit. I'm with The Dude on this.

Axel
16-03-2010, 13:24
Unfortunately, 'obvious' doesn't make for an accurate rumour.

Isn't an "accurate rumour" called "news"?

The posting is exactly this: a rumour. Believe at your own peril.
Trash it without reason, and rumours stop to appear.

Personally I think this posting looks like it is genuine. That does not mean it is, but it could be. :shifty:

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 13:29
Interesting info. Nothing in there strikes as especially unlikely, though January 2011 might be a tad on the optimistic side.

Harry said to expect Dark Eldar and Necrons probably in the next twelve months I believe, with Dark Eldar likely to be between games day and christmas, so january for Necrons would be reasonable.

AdmiralDick
16-03-2010, 14:05
non of this goes against my former source in the design team, who was ousted because of the silly policy about secrecy (as though GW are competing against someone).

gorgon
16-03-2010, 14:43
Isn't an "accurate rumour" called "news"?

The posting is exactly this: a rumour. Believe at your own peril.
Trash it without reason, and rumours stop to appear.

Exactly right.

Spiney Norman
16-03-2010, 14:46
A new Necron Codex would be very nice indeed, forgive me for not dancing energetically, while I'm optimistic and hope this is all true, its utter folly to get your hopes up for any GW release until its officially announced, and even then its not a certain thing.

I started collecting Necrons in 3rd Ed when their last codex came out, then, a while later I started collecting Witch hunters when their last codex came out.

Being as I have just started an Eldar army I should probably warn any Eldar players out there not to expect a new codex anytime in the next decade...

Tymell
16-03-2010, 14:54
Harry said to expect Dark Eldar and Necrons probably in the next twelve months I believe, with Dark Eldar likely to be between games day and christmas, so january for Necrons would be reasonable.

The reason I'm cautious about something like January is precisely because Harry said between Games Day and Christmas for Dark Eldar. Delays can still occur, so even if sometime in early 2011 for Necrons is reasonable, January might (as I say) be a tad on the optimistic side.

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 14:56
The reason I'm cautious about something like January is precisely because Harry said between Games Day and Christmas for Dark Eldar. Delays can still occur, so even if sometime in early 2011 for Necrons is reasonable, January might (as I say) be a tad on the optimistic side.

The Dark Eldar release need not impact the Necron release, why would it?

Tymell
16-03-2010, 15:09
The Dark Eldar release need not impact the Necron release, why would it?

I didn't say it would. I just mean that "between Games Day and Christmas" translates as "between September and December". If DE came out in Nov/Dec, I'd very much doubt we'd see another 40K codex in Jan.

Meanwhile, that aside, plain old delays to the Necron dex could occur.

I wouldn't rule January out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go beyond that either. I certainly couldn't imagine it coming out -before- January, that's pretty much the earliest reaslistic estimate, and hence it's on the optimistic side.

BramGaunt
16-03-2010, 15:19
I would make a shot and say DE in October.

Afaik the release schedule would be something like:

April: BA

May: LotR supplement + O&G plastics

June: Spearhead with some plastic kits

July: Warhammer 8th

August: Warhammer Armybook of some kind:

September: Warhammer starterkit

October: Codex: Whatsoever

November: Armybook

December: Usual Christmas stuff, possibly 2nd wave of Codex: Whatsoever

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 15:20
But then think of the last few months and all the releases we have had, Space Wolves, Nids, Battle Missions, Blood Angels. October Dark Eldar and January Necrons wouldn't be a stretch.

Tymell
16-03-2010, 15:44
But then think of the last few months and all the releases we have had, Space Wolves, Nids, Battle Missions, Blood Angels. October Dark Eldar and January Necrons wouldn't be a stretch.

I don't really understand why you seem to be arguing with me when I'm not contradicting you :p

I am not saying "Necrons will not be coming in January 2011".

I am saying that's the earliest I could possibly see them being released. Hence, it's optimistic. It's the best case scenario.

I am saying that for a variety of reasons they might be pushed back, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it go beyond that date.

pointedstick
16-03-2010, 16:23
I don't really understand why you seem to be arguing with me when I'm not contradicting you :p

I am simply pointing out that January is not optimistic, currently it seems possible, given Harry's out in 12 months comment in February, you said that with Dark Eldar at the end of the year, January would be soon, but it is possible given the recent release schedule.

Daemon Prince Adramalech
16-03-2010, 16:44
I would make a shot and say DE in October.

Afaik the release schedule would be something like:

April: BA

May: LotR supplement + O&G plastics

June: Spearhead with some plastic kits

July: Warhammer 8th

August: Warhammer Armybook of some kind:

September: Warhammer starterkit

October: Codex: Whatsoever

November: Armybook

December: Usual Christmas stuff, possibly 2nd wave of Codex: Whatsoever

Close, in fact very, very close. :)

Souleater
16-03-2010, 16:55
Wait, seven months to save for Dark Eldar? :eek:

Could it be true?

Edit: If DE are out in October I'd be saving my B/day and Xmas money for the second wave a few months later. Necron or Sisters are the only armies that would have me debating spending that money. :D Oh to actually experience the bitter-sweet joy be being torn between spending on two armies that I actually really like!

C'mon, GW show us some dirty, filthy Xeno love!

Tymell
16-03-2010, 17:01
I am simply pointing out that January is not optimistic...

It is though. Optimistic doesn't mean it's not going to happen, it just means it's hoping for the best. According to dictionary.com: "disposed to take a favorable view of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome."

If things go favourably (i.e. no delays, Dark Eldar out sooner rather than later), Necrons could well be out in January.

Sargarius
16-03-2010, 17:18
Depending on how the DE turn out I may start a small army of them, but Necron is what I am really waiting for!

I want to see a Heavy Destroyer plastic kit with multiple weapon options, that would be nice.

Spiney Norman
16-03-2010, 17:27
Hold on, if the current release trend holds wont we be seeing another marine dex between Deldar and Crons? 2 Xenos codices in a row would be somewhat unusual...

Revlid
16-03-2010, 17:33
For perhaps the first time in an army release, I'm genuinely looking forward to the new Special Characters.

Some of the stuff being talked about is an interesting break from tradition, to say the least.

BramGaunt
16-03-2010, 17:34

o rly? oo I should try that with next weeks lunch schedule... If I fill in steak everywhere, I'm bound to get it...

decker_cky
16-03-2010, 17:41
Depending on how the DE turn out I may start a small army of them, but Necron is what I am really waiting for!

I want to see a Heavy Destroyer plastic kit with multiple weapon options, that would be nice.

I would hope they'd just recut destroyers to include the heavy destroyer bits. Probably put them in boxes of 3.

scarletsquig
16-03-2010, 17:49
I would hope they'd just recut destroyers to include the heavy destroyer bits. Probably put them in boxes of 3.

More likely boxes of 1, for £12 each.

Edchopp
16-03-2010, 17:53

IG was a massive risk which paid off with the inclusion of the Valkyrie, Before then IG was nowhere near the top five armies. Robin Cruddace if I could afford to drive up to nottingham just to hug you I would!

But the rumours of the Necrons are exciting!

PxDn Ninja
16-03-2010, 17:55

So you know nothing about it beyond a large metal giant creature, and already decided it is rubbish? Is complaining about something that wouldn't be out for at least nine months a new warseer record? ;)

Many people are talking about Necrons being well under way, and they are likely to be out in the next year, so people could easily have some idea of what it will look like. Personally I am hoping they end up being more than simply marine equivalents, I would love to see Necrons going back to the sort of race they were in second edition, very small nigh indestructible armies, I still recall the battle report with necrons vs sisters of battle.

As to selling, GW has a good number of races, neither too many nor too few, and I think every race is going to sell well, from marines to Dark Eldar and Necrons, so I hope they will forge ahead with this.

My basis is from the following:

"The Necromancer is the central sell of the line expansion and has been the focus of much of the early design process. It has been through several incarnations (and names), but is essentially of the same principle as the Bone Giant for the Warhammer Fantasy range. It has a mechanised skeletal torso housing a suspended crystal, and will likely have a choice between two horrific weapons."

THIS is why I feel it sounds terrible. The Bone Giant was pretty lame in Fantasy, and without more information, my initial reaction is not positive for a Necron version. Couple that with the fact that it "is the central sell of the line" worries me.

Personally, I think this rumor is just that, a rumor. I don't see GW changing the base size of the Immortal models either.

Once more factual information is released by GW, I'll revise my opinion, but as this is all we have, this is all we can base our current views on, and my view is that the Necromancer has great potential to be terrible, moreso than it does to be awesome. Time shall tell.

tazguy95
16-03-2010, 17:55

Please tell us more... :cries:

Daemon Prince Adramalech
16-03-2010, 18:11
Please tell us more... :cries:

Alas I wish I could, but i'd have an Inquisitorial Kill Team breathing down my neck faster than I could say the Emperor protects and those guys are just a nuisance. :(

shaso_iceborn
16-03-2010, 18:23
I have personally heard the base sizes for Immortals will change as well as a basic toughness increase across the board. This has probably been said already but I have also heard that WBB is gone in favor of FnP and the ressurection orb always allows FnP to be made.

decker_cky
16-03-2010, 18:39
I have personally heard the base sizes for Immortals will change as well as a basic toughness increase across the board. This has probably been said already but I have also heard that WBB is gone in favor of FnP and the ressurection orb always allows FnP to be made.

Fairly common sense way of cleaning up rules, and I think that change in itself will add variety to choices. I think the "fill three slots but anything you take should have a pair" aspect of the army construction is a real flaw to the necron army.

Garanaul the Black
16-03-2010, 19:07
Hold on, if the current release trend holds wont we be seeing another marine dex between Deldar and Crons? 2 Xenos codices in a row would be somewhat unusual...

Weren't Black Templars mentioned? That certainly could have changed, I've been away for a long time....

Edit: Oops, looks like its Grey Knights (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4487633&postcount=169)...

On Topic: A new Necron codex is most welcome, I end up playing vs them a lot and would love to see more options available, its a little bland at the moment.

This has probably been said already but I have also heard that WBB is gone in favor of FnP and the ressurection orb always allows FnP to be made.

I've been hearing the same, and while it makes sense to bring it into line with the current rule set, I'm not a fan of it. WBB probably needs to be tweaked, but is much more characterful. A boost in Toughness and FnP make them cheaper Plague Marines with Rending weapons.

G

vampiricus
16-03-2010, 21:14
Im starting to wonder if necrons2011 is kicking back in his/her desk chair watching how this thread transforms. I challenge this person to show us a pulse. Making 1 post isnt helping their reputation.

Zothos
16-03-2010, 21:29
Necrons2011...Thank you for the rumor!

Daemon Prince Adewale Oglunyeye...(or something similar)...thank YOU for your insight into the matter.
Now if only we knew HOW close the gentlemen was with his schedule...lol..
By the way...thanks to ALL who post rumors (or facts)...It makes coming here fun...and is a large part of what draws me here to Warseer.

If this "Necromancer" is to be the "Central sell" of the Necron line, I would expect the rules to be somewhat "Fantastic"....which as far as i know was the failing of the bone giant for TK.....good concept...not so good execution...

If it works well in game...It WILL sell well...nature of the beast.
Unless the sculpt of said model sucks....but quite frankly the designs coming from GW lately have been fantastic...my hopes are high for a great 12 months~

Keep the rumors coming...even if they are false...it certainly gives us something to talk about...(no do not make anything up ;))

IcedAnimals
16-03-2010, 21:35
Some of our best rumor sources on warseer are people with single or double digit post counts. I am also looking forward to necrons. In fact this is going to be a very next two years in 40k. I wish they had spread out my armies better.

My brother is getting his dark eldar. And I will be getting necrons, sisters, black templars and tau. While I am excited it would have been nice to spread the money around over the years.

Kurgash
16-03-2010, 21:48
Im starting to wonder if necrons2011 is kicking back in his/her desk chair watching how this thread transforms. I challenge this person to show us a pulse. Making 1 post isnt helping their reputation.

True and I must say he did this in perfect Necron fashion; coming in out of nowhere, laying down a withering fire of rumors and teasers then disappearing without a trace once he accomplished his task.

Ba'al Starslayer
16-03-2010, 21:50
Could I just ask if anyone could point (Or better, LINK) me to some rumour threads about DE and Necrons? All this talk of new armies has got my imagination going again! XD
I have to say, I really can imagine Immortals on slightly larger bases, with larger guns and larger shoulders, they could easily look more menacing than they do now! :p

Gargskull
16-03-2010, 21:58
Here's a thought, I'm going to start a "New Necron army" fund. I'm just going to put aside a minimum of £20 and a max of £50 every month until January 2011, starting next payday. That'll be 10 months of saving for this rumoured release, so a minimum of £200 and a maximum of £500 just for Necrons. That should make a tiny improvement in sales figures that might just help GW release that "Oh, new xenos releases can make money too!".

Heck even if the rumour is not true, it'll be nice motivation to actually save some of my money instead of spending it as quickly as it comes in >.> That's at least one good reason for the veil of secrecy to be lifted when it comes to future releases...

Good plan, I may do the same, I like what I'm hearing here and Necrons would make a fine second army for when Da Boyz need a break.

I thought there was another marine release planned for this year, most often rumoured to be black templars. But that schedule is pretty good all things considered.

Have you considered that he/she is either, a very busy person who doesn't hang out on the internet (I've checked, they do exist) or perhaps he/she is the close friend of a GW employee, has posted this on their behalf but has no interest in the hobby themselves.

Gazak Blacktoof
16-03-2010, 21:59
I have to say, I really can imagine Immortals on slightly larger bases, with larger guns and larger shoulders, they could easily look more menacing than they do now! :p

I too think they'd look good as nob sized models- I'd just use the current immortals as an elite warrior unit.

CKO
16-03-2010, 23:07
I would like to add that development staff are getting very frustrated by headquarters’ increasingly tyrannical policies – within and between departments – with regards to information restriction. It’s absurd, and unnecessary.

Seems like the chaos powers are at work turning gw staff against each other or policies.

I am very very happy to see Necrons in the works.

Azzy
16-03-2010, 23:11
Hmm. The rumor doesn't contradict previous information (in fact, it lines up with what little has been said in the past). Also, DP Adramalech (a reliable source, judging from multiple posts in the past) seems to give it the thumbs up. Everything about the rumor is quite plausible... I'm going to accept this one until more tried and true sources contradict it.

weirdmaster
16-03-2010, 23:20
Hooray for rumours of new Necron stuff; it's been a long time coming. Here's to the Cron players both new and old!

Flame Boy
17-03-2010, 00:31
I would imagine they could go a few different routes for the Tomb Spyder in multi-part plastic with assault spyders, shooty spyders and worker/swarm spyders, which could be nice. I hope there is some validity to this particular piece.

I find the name of the walker odd, to me, the Necron Lords and Tomb Spyders are the "Necromancer" aspects of the army currently, I would have thought that if they wanted to give the Necrons a big scary walker, the name would reflect that more. Of course, with little understanding of what the Necromancer could be, my gut instinct would probably be irrelevent anyway.

*insert typical comment about salt consumption here*

Merreck
17-03-2010, 00:53

Hmm! If Dark Eldar were in the Fall and the Necrons in Januray, that would be a clever ploy by GW's part if they released some 2nd wave Dark Eldar kits ALONG with the Necrons. The DE wouldn't outshine the Crons, and the DE would get access to the extra (new) kits that they need ASAP! What a holly jolly ($$$) Christmas that would be!

Hokiecow
17-03-2010, 04:00
He never implied 'Codex: Whatsoever' was DE. If anything Black Templars will be out near the end of the summer.

Kurgash
17-03-2010, 05:12
He never implied 'Codex: Whatsoever' was DE. If anything Black Templars will be out near the end of the summer.

Then what will the army in between imperial codice be?

pointedstick
17-03-2010, 05:19

Dark Eldar are the likely bet though.

incomplete
17-03-2010, 08:10
I don't wish to stray too far into the land of wishlisting, but there has been some talk in this thread of the "theme" of the Necrons. I hope the terminator reference is played down, should be nothing more than a physical resemblance. i love the ancient menace aspect, and i hope that gets played up more.

i love the story of the C'tan, but i would prefer they move to apocalypse only status, and get really nice greater daemon style forge world models. for regular 40k, having someone with an ability to channel a portion of the C'tan's power would be nice, or maybe some type of herald of the C'tan character.

i think a good niche for Necrons in terms of gameplay would be anti-psyker. do more with the pariahs. it would be really nice to see them as troops and in plastic, but i doubt that will happen. maybe give the entire army an anti-psyker rule, the presence of the necrons makes the warp seem to move away, psyker units must pass x test before each attempt to use a power.

again, sorry if i'm derailing, just some thoughts.

Mewy
17-03-2010, 09:27
Like someone said: these ideas that have been put forward are at least something cool to keep ahold of. I hope they are true, because if they are, it's the kind of inspiratonal direction that will make me start to like necrons as a more of a modelling/converting and theming army.

I don't wish to stray too far into the land of wishlisting, but there has been some talk in this thread of the "theme" of the Necrons. I hope the terminator reference is played down, should be nothing more than a physical resemblance. i love the ancient menace aspect, and i hope that gets played up more.

i love the story of the C'tan, but i would prefer they move to apocalypse only status, and get really nice greater daemon style forge world models. for regular 40k, having someone with an ability to channel a portion of the C'tan's power would be nice, or maybe some type of herald of the C'tan character.

i think a good niche for Necrons in terms of gameplay would be anti-psyker. do more with the pariahs. it would be really nice to see them as troops and in plastic, but i doubt that will happen. maybe give the entire army an anti-psyker rule, the presence of the necrons makes the warp seem to move away, psyker units must pass x test before each attempt to use a power.

again, sorry if i'm derailing, just some thoughts.

That would actually be kind of cool. Since they are all machines (and Tyranids are particularly nasty anti-psyker so it's not like it wouldn't ever get put into a codex) they could have a "soulless" rule. Along the lines of only psychic powers with a strength value can harm them. May be a bit too powerful, but it would mean that mind worm or mind war or similar powers would not work well against them. It would be a difficult rule to word properly to get the right powers to work/not work correctly.

Gethvar
17-03-2010, 09:37
they could have a "soulless" rule.
The problem is that the necrons aren't soulless, but they could explore and pimp up pariahs as they are curently a bit dull rulewise ,but sometimes is fun to play with them, they got the athmophere...
I would love to see a necron equivalent of wraithlord i would be cool especially if it would add some bonuses to the nearby units (could work as a orb for example or as a TS)
Necrons has a huge potential...i hope the rumor is true...

Malagate
17-03-2010, 10:44
The problem is that the necrons aren't soulless, but they could explore and pimp up pariahs as they are curently a bit dull rulewise ,but sometimes is fun to play with them, they got the athmophere...

Sorry to veer massively off topic here, but when it comes to Necrons being soulless or not there's a bone of contention. It's something more explored in the background books and weirdly enough the videogames, I don't think there's a clear canon consensus on whether 'crons could be considered soulless or not (although I personally think they have a kind of soul, otherwise the C'tan wouldn't need them and would just make robots...unless even Necrontyr-made AI isn't good enough for combat (or the C'tan were just doing it for the evlulz)).

Anyhoo, slightly back on topic, Pariahs right now just don't really fit any good role in the army and so it's something I would really love to see improved in the new codex. Giving a unit the tools to be either terminator equivalents or terminator killers and then giving them those stats was just mean (one attack each at I3...ffs), also their special rules these days are not as nasty for anti-psyker in this game of psychic hoods, rune staffs, shadows in the warp and runes of warding (especially when psychic powers can attack from beyond the range of the leadership debuff). A new model for them should go without saying, I recently got a single Pariah on a whim and lo and behold, the bugger won't fit together without seriously bending the crap out of those arms...I'm really starting to hate old metal kits -_-

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they'll produce to replace all the old metal kits, as well as any evolutions in their looks. Are there any rumours about which style direction they're moving in? I'd love to know if they're going for a more alien look rather than "metal skeletons and spiders oh my!", I think a clean, functional aesthetic works well for 'crons, but I'd be just as happy with esoteric or just plain old ancient looking stuff.

Revlid
17-03-2010, 11:27
I would imagine they could go a few different routes for the Tomb Spyder in multi-part plastic with assault spyders, shooty spyders and worker/swarm spyders, which could be nice. I hope there is some validity to this particular piece.
You're spot-on with this one. "Dedicated" Spyders will certainly be making an appearance.

Spectral Dragon
17-03-2010, 11:28
With Necrons Being my top army and having heard a few smatterings I figure I should pitch in.

First, Everything I hear tells me there WILL be new units. I keep hearing a new vehicle, HQ and a new troop choice, but who knows?

The next thing I heard was that they want to change rules without changing the overall feel of the army, which IMO would be hard to do. I was told to not expect FNP unless it comes up as an upgrade of some sort however, which implies WBB is staying but changing at least slightly.

The forces are going to change in the FOC a bit. \

Like the previous releases, there will be 3-4 new plastic kits, but possibly only 3-4 new metal kits. They are keeping *most* of the old line.

The new vehicle could possibly be a more specialized version of the monolith, such as a weapon platform. I was told to not expect this model in the first wave but who knows?

Other things I was told:

Expect necrons to move even further from marine statlines.

Expect warriors to be one of the more all around usefull troops in the game again.

Expect a host of different wargear for the new HQ.

I was also told of the January release

I was also told that units would have options more in line with how the current GW dexes are. (hence the tomb spider rumor in the first post?)

I am not sure what to think of the Necromancer, I wouldn't think they would have avoided outright undead names this whole time and suddenly switch gears.

All of the above to be taken with NaCl.

Revlid
17-03-2010, 12:20
First, Everything I hear tells me there WILL be new units. I keep hearing a new vehicle, HQ and a new troop choice, but who knows?
I expect rather more than that in terms of new units.

The next thing I heard was that they want to change rules without changing the overall feel of the army, which IMO would be hard to do. I was told to not expect FNP unless it comes up as an upgrade of some sort however, which implies WBB is staying but changing at least slightly.
True.

The forces are going to change in the FOC a bit.
True.

Like the previous releases, there will be 3-4 new plastic kits, but possibly only 3-4 new metal kits. They are keeping *most* of the old line.
True. In some cases, this is good. In others, it is dissappointing. Still, the more clunky elements of the old line are being replaced, at least.

The new vehicle could possibly be a more specialized version of the monolith, such as a weapon platform. I was told to not expect this model in the first wave but who knows?
A specialized version of the Monolith certainly sounds like a good call.

Expect necrons to move even further from marine statlines.
True.

Expect warriors to be one of the more all around usefull troops in the game again.
Well, that's always a matter of opinion. But certainly, they look like they'll be more useful than they have been for a while.

Expect a host of different wargear for the new HQ.
True.

I was also told of the January release
Correct, afaik.

I was also told that units would have options more in line with how the current GW dexes are. (hence the tomb spider rumor in the first post?)
If you mean what I think you do, this is true.

All of the above to be taken with NaCl.
Of course. ;)

Hokiecow
17-03-2010, 12:36
Dark Eldar are the likely bet though.

Then what will the army in between imperial codice be?

My money is on Black Templar.... and maybe even Tau before DE and Crons

Kurgash
17-03-2010, 12:40
I've seen some things in the Epic: 40,000 line with Necrons in the terms of obelisks so I'm not sure if that would be something tooled into for standard 40k but who knows. I'm not even sure what it is, just that it exists.

pointedstick
17-03-2010, 12:48

A number of people are now stating Dark Eldar for around October however, and there are not physically enough months to have black templars and Tau out before that.

Reflex
17-03-2010, 13:01
there is only 1 thing i want from a new necron codex. for it to be compedetive.....

Gazak Blacktoof
17-03-2010, 13:23
I've seen some things in the Epic: 40,000 line with Necrons in the terms of obelisks so I'm not sure if that would be something tooled into for standard 40k but who knows. I'm not even sure what it is, just that it exists.

Might be an obelisk (hope it gets a better name) but that's nothing more than a concept- monolith guns without portal- that was created for the epic list by fans.

I personally don't like the concept- we've got a dropship (monolith) we've got gunships (destroyer squadrons)- if they've both got great resilience I don't see what you need a tank for.

patrialuvien
17-03-2010, 13:56
All the previous rumors back during the BA ones had additional info about incoming GK plastics and working on redoing Sisters. Where has this BT/Tau/Crons crap come from? Are any of these rumors from dependable sources, aka ones that were right about BA and SW, or are these all pulled out of wishful thinking?

Revlid
17-03-2010, 14:27
All the previous rumors back during the BA ones had additional info about incoming GK plastics and working on redoing Sisters. Where has this BT/Tau/Crons crap come from? Are any of these rumors from dependable sources, aka ones that were right about BA and SW, or are these all pulled out of wishful thinking?
Yes. As it is, Dark Eldar and Necrons are damn-near-certainties in the (relatively) near future, maybe having a marine release in between - if this is the case, it's more likely to be Black Templars than Grey Knights.

In any case, DE and Crons are largely confirmed.
Black Templars have been speculated as a likely Marines release.
The same applies to Grey Knights.
Tau have been pulled out of thin air.

Hoarmurel
17-03-2010, 14:34

I think Harry or hastings or one of these people had said that is more likely to get "Silver marines" than BT.
I think the DE are still the first of all those armies. If Necrons are truly released by January of 2011, that leaves few time to release more than 1 army after summer and all the Fantasy happening.

Of course, I can be wrong, actually :)

gorgon
17-03-2010, 14:36
True. In some cases, this is good. In others, it is dissappointing. Still, the more clunky elements of the old line are being replaced, at least.

Hmm. I hope Wraiths and Pariahs make it onto the "replace" list. Wraiths never quite captured the menace or motion of the artwork. Pariahs...well, I'm not even sure what they were going for there, other than maybe cheesy 1950s movie-style robots.

Anyway, with more HQ options, vehicle options and FOC changes, it sounds like they're hitting a good number of my wishlist items.

And thanks for chiming in, btw. :)

Hive Fleet Chiron
17-03-2010, 14:55
I just joined to this forum, I have been playing 40k for a while now. I didn't used to follow releases at all, but ever since the new 'Nids I have checked on the up and coming codices. With all the references to Greyknights and so on and so forth, I would think that they will be the next, IMHO.

The other thing is I do think we will see DE before Necrons. Maybe November or October, for DE I think beginning of summer for GK and then WFB for the rest of the time between. (this is supposed to be a wfb year, New RB and I thought GW said 3-4 new WFB codicies last year for 2010 and 4 new W40k for 2010) we have 3 if it is GK. So, 1 more. Not BT not BT (it Probably is) :(

Combat Emu
17-03-2010, 15:03
Well afai remember Harry said, that Blood Angels were only half the story -> More Power Armours this year and keeping in mind there was a lot of talk about inquisition that wasn't shot up... Grey Knights are a good bet.
Also Harry kept saying, that DEs were close and maybe still in this year. But this "maybe" imo puts them behind GKs or whatever power armour appears as third dex.
Rumours with Necrons earlier than DEs were refused by Harry, but he also sayed that Necrons were still on the horizon too.

So all in all it's either both GK and DEs in 2010 and Necrons in January 2011 or just GKs in 2010 and DE in January and Necs in April or something.

And if you now keep in mind what Deamon Prince Adra(too lazy to look up your full name, sry ^^ ) said it's more likely that GKs are in october and both DE and Necrons in 2011.

But the beginning of 2011 was imo always a safe bet for Necrons if one kept track of most of the rumours. All this summer 2010 stuff e.g. was never really convincing.

So this release date is not as made up as patrialuvien implied. Tau and BTs are totally made up though ^^ At least I didn't read anything concrete about BTs soon, well except blind guesses. This Tau rumour is probably from that one Tau thread here a few months ago... though there it was clearly said, that Tau are still ages away.

I hope I didn't get anything wrong here ;)

lowmanjason
17-03-2010, 15:05
That would be bigger than most 40K boards :p

(Tomb Stalker from Medusa V campaign):
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l202/LordDamocles/TombStalker.jpg

that thing is badass!

Malagate
17-03-2010, 15:24
Hmm. I hope Wraiths and Pariahs make it onto the "replace" list.

I'd say +1 to that, not least because Wraiths are currently a pig to put together and the top-heaviness makes it very easy for them to fall over and break at the fragile spine join.

My wishlist for new models would be:
* plastic Tomb Spyders (seemingly confirmed)
* plastic Immortals (rumoured possibility)
* plastic Wraiths (very necessary in my opinion)
* plastic Flayed Ones (especially if they get switched out of Elites, but I could still accept metal what with only the hands being seperate pieces)
* recut Destroyers to include Heavy Destroyer option (or new alternative that I can't anticipate)

Anyone care to confirm or shoot down that wishlist?

I could live without plastic Pariahs, I think the current model is ok but it could do with better casting. However, I could say the same thing about almost all of the metal models I've bought recently from GW. Almost all of them have some glaring imperfection that can't be easily repaired with a bit of bending, filing or even greenstuff (ok, maybe if you had advanced greenstuff skills, which I don't).

Think I've gone a bit off topic there, sorry. I still like to think about how this new rumoured MC might turn out, as to be honest I think more MC's would be better for Necrons rather than something like a new Tank. It's just I've always seen MC's as more durable and hence more Necron-like, as even a Monolith could be taken out by one very lucky lascannon shot but a MC is almost impossible to 1 hit kill (at least from range).

Are there any vehicles for Necrons rumoured in the pipeline? I really find it hard to imagine something that would fit in with what they are, so if there is I will hopefully be pleasantly surprised with what they come up with (or it'll be our version of Vanguard or Pyrovores...).

gorgon
17-03-2010, 15:36
Just doing some math, I dunno that there's room for plastic Wraiths or Flayed Ones. Or even replacements for the hybrid kits (Destroyer Lords and Heavy Ds). If we're looking at the usual 3-4 new plastic kits, and we think we know that Immortals, Spyders, a new walker and a new vehicle/Monolith variant are on the way, the plastic slots would appear to be filled already.

Then figure a new HQ might fill one of the 3-4 new metal slots, and suddenly there aren't many slots to redo metals either. I can see why they're saying most of the line is going to remain as is.

cthorpe
17-03-2010, 15:43
Hmmm.
Daemon Prince Adramalech has also suggested Grey Knights (by a roundabout way ;) ) would be fairly soon... and he has been right on the money so far with his Predictions... or daemonic scrying into the furture ;)

Keep an eye or two.. maybe more for his posts...

Best wishes,

carl

Night Bearer
17-03-2010, 15:45
I think Harry or hastings or one of these people had said that is more likely to get "Silver marines" than BT.
I think the DE are still the first of all those armies. If Necrons are truly released by January of 2011, that leaves few time to release more than 1 army after summer and all the Fantasy happening.

Of course, I can be wrong, actually :)

I compiled this historical list a while back for a thread on a local forum, but this is as complete as possible the army/edition release schedule for WHFB and 40k since 2005:

2005:
January: Ogre Kingdoms
August: Wood Elves
November: Black Templars

2006:
March: Tau Empire
September: WHFB Seventh Edition
October: Orcs and Goblins
November: Eldar

2007:
January: The Empire
March: Dark Angels
September: Chaos Space Marines
November: High Elves

2008:
January: Orks
March: Vampire Counts
May: Daemons
July: 40k Fifth Edition
August: Dark Elves
October: Space Marines
November: Warriors of Chaos

2009:
February: Lizardmen
May: Imperial Guard
September: Space Hulk
October: Space Wolves
November: Skaven

2010:
January: Tyranids
February: Beastmen
April: Blood Angels
July: WHFB Eight Edition

Looking at this schedule, a couple things pop out as being pretty historically consistent for GW:

-For the last three years, there have basically been two "first half" releases and two "second half" releases over each year, for an average of about four books a year since 2006.

-The most common release dates appear to be January, March, October, and November, with each system getting a "first half" and "second half" book, and neither system has gotten two army releases after summer.

-Since at least 2005, GW has alternated systems for army releases. That is, they haven't done back to back 40k or back to back WHFB books, it's always been one system and then the other (e.g. Skaven - Tyranids - Beastmen - Blood Angels, etc.)

-There has not be a December new army for at least the past six years (I didn't go earlier than 2005). I would speculate that GW cannot sustain four straight months of book releases (October-January) and for whatever reason has made December the non-release month.

Off of those observations:

-Three existing releases plus possible Oct/Nov releases would already put us at five for 2010. It's possible that GW is gearing up for another 2008-like year of six army books, which would suggest an August release for the other "extra" army release (just as they released an "extra" army in January of both years). Otherwise, it suggests there's no summer release as they are already at five for the year, assuming their normal two fall releases.

-Regarding GW's establish pattern of alternating systems, any summer release would appear to be for WHFB (since the last release was 40k), followed by an October 40k release and a November WHFB release. This would suggest that 40k is only due one more army for this year, unless GW is deviating from their historical pattern for second half releases (e.g. army in December, two summer armies, etc.).

Again, just speculation, as nothing's written in stone regarding GW's releases. But they do have some historical consistency that seems to provide some clue as to what we can look forward to for the rest of the year.

(Sorry if this is off topic, I just thought it'd be useful to the speculation).

PreacherBoyRoy
17-03-2010, 16:19
Plastic immortals would be awsome. I really don't know what i think about the MC yet. I was already hoping for around the begining of the year, but this rumor hasn't really giving me any solid reason to expect it then. still, fingers crossed ;)

Hokiecow
17-03-2010, 17:03
A number of people are now stating Dark Eldar for around October however, and there are not physically enough months to have black templars and Tau out before that.

No one has said DE coming out in Oct. Harry said he wouldn't be surprised if we saw something bewteen GD and the end of the year.
One codex could be released at the end of summer/Fall and the other End of the year/January 2011.

The only rumors of GK is that they are in progress, the same with Sister.

Well afai remember Harry said, that Blood Angels were only half the story -> More Power Armours this year and keeping in mind there was a lot of talk about inquisition that wasn't shot up... Grey Knights are a good bet.
Also Harry kept saying, that DEs were close and maybe still in this year. But this "maybe" imo puts them behind GKs or whatever power armour appears as third dex.
Rumours with Necrons earlier than DEs were refused by Harry, but he also sayed that Necrons were still on the horizon too.

So all in all it's either both GK and DEs in 2010 and Necrons in January 2011 or just GKs in 2010 and DE in January and Necs in April or something.

And if you now keep in mind what Deamon Prince Adra(too lazy to look up your full name, sry ^^ ) said it's more likely that GKs are in october and both DE and Necrons in 2011.

But the beginning of 2011 was imo always a safe bet for Necrons if one kept track of most of the rumours. All this summer 2010 stuff e.g. was never really convincing.

So this release date is not as made up as patrialuvien implied. Tau and BTs are totally made up though ^^ At least I didn't read anything concrete about BTs soon, well except blind guesses. This Tau rumour is probably from that one Tau thread here a few months ago... though there it was clearly said, that Tau are still ages away.

I hope I didn't get anything wrong here ;)

Tau and BTs made up!? :wtf:

Brimestone hinted that BT would be out in 2010 by not shooting down the speculation, Harry had his "Crussier" based marines comment (something like that) which many believe is BTs .... AND Stickmonkey said we can expect more Marines later this year...

As for Tau, we've seen new models at GD last year.
Harry made the comment of an army "Droning in". Since Tau are the only army with Drones, it was assumed to be Tau he was referring to.

Flame Boy
17-03-2010, 17:06
I agree with you, Malagate, I think the Monolith is an interesting part of the Necron armoury because it is quite different to what everyone else has, but there's only so many abstract levitating blocks you can have in the same army without it feeling samey.

I am hoping they fill that gap with the Tomb Spyder and similar constructs. I originally thought the Tomb Spyder model was lackluster, but the trailer for the Tomb Spyder unit in the DoW: Dark Crusade expansion made it look far more dynamic and sinister. I think following the likes of the automated constructs that obey the Necrons would make for more interesting models than another brick-like Obelisk model.

Daemon Prince Adramalech
17-03-2010, 17:49

That's odd I dont remember specifiying what order anything was coming in?? :confused:

And just call me DPA it's easier in the long run and saves any spelling errors :D

Sargarius
17-03-2010, 17:55
Might be an obelisk (hope it gets a better name) but that's nothing more than a concept- monolith guns without portal- that was created for the epic list by fans.

I personally don't like the concept- we've got a dropship (monolith) we've got gunships (destroyer squadrons)- if they've both got great resilience I don't see what you need a tank for.

The Obelisk was described as a smaller vehicle that acted as a "damage conductor". When nearby vechiles took damage they could transfer it to a nearby Obelisk instead. In 40K terms I would see them as Living Metal 12 or 13 on all sides, weaker weapon, and no portal.

I could see the Obelisk in 40k, what I could not see would be Tomb Stalkers, Aeonic Orbs, and Aboitters(spelling?).

tazguy95
17-03-2010, 18:04
No one has said DE coming out in Oct. Harry said he wouldn't be surprised if we saw something bewteen GD and the end of the year.
One codex could be released at the end of summer/Fall and the other End of the year/January 2011.

The only rumors of GK is that they are in progress, the same with Sister.

Tau and BTs made up!? :wtf:

Brimestone hinted that BT would be out in 2010 by not shooting down the speculation, Harry had his "Crussier" based marines comment (something like that) which many believe is BTs .... AND Stickmonkey said we can expect more Marines later this year...

As for Tau, we've seen new models at GD last year.
Harry made the comment of an army "Droning in". Since Tau are the only army with Drones, it was assumed to be Tau he was referring to.

Weren't the Tau at that GD supposed to be a new employee's test sculpts, and rumours were shot down that they were new Tau for release?
Also, about the comment on the fact that GK were only supposed to be in progress; The GK have more reason to expect a new codex and Black Templars evidence has mostly been structured with speculation. Also, your evidence upon which another space marine army is to be released this year, also backs up the GK, as they are, Space Marines.

More on topic however, plastic immortals sound amazing and possible news of different spyder variants also sounds very promising. Ahhhhh! I really need to start saving more money.:eek:

Daemon Prince Adramalech
17-03-2010, 18:11
If Black Templars come out anytime soon i'd be a happy Daemon Prince but if thats the case then they've managed to avoid even my daemonic powers....which not much does. Any way getting off topic a little here. Back to the Necron discussion.....

Hoarmurel
17-03-2010, 18:39
I compiled this historical list a while back for a thread on a local forum, but this is as complete as possible the army/edition release schedule for WHFB and 40k since 2005:

Good work. :)

After seeing that, it seems that 40k will get only 1 more army this year, I agree with you.

What army? My guess is Dark Eldar, they are sounding quite a lot.

So according with that historical schedule, Necrons in January 2011 is fairly possible, but that would leave 2 xenos codex one after the other without any 'imperial' between. :confused:

Mike3791
17-03-2010, 18:54

This wouldn't be surprising at all since they currently only have one of each of these(hq, troop, vehcile), and have the least variety of ANY existing army.

Skullking
17-03-2010, 19:51
I really hope that the fluff surrounding the Crons stays true to the original codex. They were a seemingly unstoppable force, with the C'tan being 'masters of the material universe', which is why I found it hard to believe that you could actually use them in a normal game. I recall reading a while back that they were going to be pushed into an apocalypse only setting, with Necron lords being able to take on their personas for a time, kind of like in Dow Dark Crusade, but who knows if that is still true.

The only thing that seemed to be stopping the necrons from taking over the whole galaxy, was the fact that they were so sleepy, and most of them were still not awake. The new tyranid codex has one mention of them, and they pretty much annihilate some tau and actually 'scare off' tyrannids. I have hope for them still being the 'looming danger' of the galaxy. The 5th edition rulebook fluff for them was miserable though, making them look like out of date robots who clunk around in an meaningless attempt to maintain their empire.

The C'tan in my opinion are the real enemies of the Chaos gods, they are in essence, anti-chaos. So I hope we see more of that dynamic, although it will most likely be more 'everybody attack the Imperium' BS (I'm so tired of that in 40k, and 'we all hate the f-ing Empire' in fantasy) i realize that that is how we as 'humans' are suppossed to relate to the overall story. But I can't deny that my favorite picture in the 40k rulebook is the bloodthrister fighting a carnifex and the bloodcrusher swarmed by gaunts, who didn't want to see that fight play out?

Anyway, enough rant on fluff. I hope these rumors I've seen are true, I know the necrons will at least have some cool models coming their way, when they finally do release.

Spectral Dragon
17-03-2010, 20:04
I'd say +1 to that, not least because Wraiths are currently a pig to put together and the top-heaviness makes it very easy for them to fall over and break at the fragile spine join.

My wishlist for new models would be:
* plastic Tomb Spyders (seemingly confirmed)
* plastic Immortals (rumoured possibility)
* plastic Wraiths (very necessary in my opinion)
* plastic Flayed Ones (especially if they get switched out of Elites, but I could still accept metal what with only the hands being seperate pieces)
* recut Destroyers to include Heavy Destroyer option (or new alternative that I can't anticipate)

Anyone care to confirm or shoot down that wishlist?

I could live without plastic Pariahs, I think the current model is ok but it could do with better casting. However, I could say the same thing about almost all of the metal models I've bought recently from GW. Almost all of them have some glaring imperfection that can't be easily repaired with a bit of bending, filing or even greenstuff (ok, maybe if you had advanced greenstuff skills, which I don't).

Think I've gone a bit off topic there, sorry. I still like to think about how this new rumoured MC might turn out, as to be honest I think more MC's would be better for Necrons rather than something like a new Tank. It's just I've always seen MC's as more durable and hence more Necron-like, as even a Monolith could be taken out by one very lucky lascannon shot but a MC is almost impossible to 1 hit kill (at least from range).

Are there any vehicles for Necrons rumoured in the pipeline? I really find it hard to imagine something that would fit in with what they are, so if there is I will hopefully be pleasantly surprised with what they come up with (or it'll be our version of Vanguard or Pyrovores...).

Tomb Spider: Rules largely different, bigger model from what I hear, and yes. I heard that it is expected to oh just fit comfortably on a 60mm base.

Immortals: Expect these

wraiths: no news yet

Flayed ones: some rule changes, no new model.

With the exception of Immortals, which I have heard just about everywhere, take this with a grain of salt.

As for vehicle I have allready mentioned a possible weapons platform vehicle.

Combat Emu
17-03-2010, 20:43
@DPA ;) : I was just connecting the dots between what you and what Harry said. I think Harry once said DE might make it into 2010 as 4th 40k codex.
If so, that would automatically make them the last 40k army release of 2010. Combined with that "half the story" notion that would add up to first GK or whatever and then DE. Since Necrons will be quite surely after DE(even some important GW guy said that officially at some GD once and Harry said something similar) but still on the radar, my bet is: GKs -> DEs -> Necrons. The only question that stays is, whether DE will make it into 2010. And since you said that the earlier assumption about releases was quite accurate(with only 3 40k dexes in 2010), the only way my model would fit, was if DE were in January and Necs in April of 2011.

@Whoever :wtf:ed at me ^^: Tau were once said to be on the way, but quite a while away. And if there really are solid rumours about Black Templars, I missed them(Ok, that doesn't mean much, I can't keep track of all the Warseer rumours ;) ). I thought they were mere assumptions. Didn't know someone reliable said they would appear in 2010. If true, I'd have to adjust the above by switching GK with BT. But with all those recent rumours about inquisition I had really put my faith on the silvery guys.

PS: If all my assumptions were correct this would be the most merriest time in all 40k history with all the really old dexes being (partly, sorry WHs ;) ) redone. I'd for once love GW if this was true ^^

Znail
17-03-2010, 21:01

BA being only one half of the story is a pretty obvious reference to DA as they shared codex way back.

Combat Emu
17-03-2010, 21:15
He was referring to this year I think. Are you proposing that this one release slot is not only occupied by GKs, BTs and Tau, but also by DAs? We certainly haven't heard much about them(I dare say nothing...) in the last time... I mean, ok, there is a slight, i mean really slight chance, that everyone's wrong about this, but I doubt that somehow ;)

PS: "I dare say" means: Don't yell at me, when I'm mistaken ^^

Hoarmurel
17-03-2010, 21:17
BA being only one half of the story is a pretty obvious reference to DA as they shared codex way back.

That was extensively discussed, and the conclusion was that the reference was not for DA, but another marine Chapter. ;)

my_name_is_tudor
17-03-2010, 21:24
We certainly haven't heard much about them

Well, DPA said: (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4388327#post4388327)

The veil parts.......images flash before his daemonic eyes......flashes of robes, flashes of power armour, flashes of a broken sword.

Power armour, robes and a broken sword? That's Dark Angels.

And he also said: (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4491823#post4491823)

If Black Templars come out anytime soon i'd be a happy Daemon Prince but if thats the case then they've managed to avoid even my daemonic powers....which not much does.

Implying that he believes Black Templars aren't coming soon. If we're working on the basis that DPA is informed, which he seems to be, then what reason is there to not listen to him..

Leggy
17-03-2010, 21:29
The Obelisk was described as a smaller vehicle that acted as a "damage conductor". When nearby vechiles took damage they could transfer it to a nearby Obelisk instead. In 40K terms I would see them as Living Metal 12 or 13 on all sides, weaker weapon, and no portal.

I could see the Obelisk in 40k, what I could not see would be Tomb Stalkers, Aeonic Orbs, and Aboitters(spelling?).

It'd be quite cool if monoliths formed vehicle units with obelisks, and the smaller models had to be allocated the hits first. Kinda like a shield drone.

Combat Emu
17-03-2010, 21:32
@Tudor: Probably... but visions tend to be inacurrate and mysterious... Perhaps it's a new GK unit ^^

The point is, that many rumours claim to get that one space, but there can be only one who gets it. I'm ready to drop the inquisition, since there were strong but not really plausible rumours. But all that doesn't quite change the fact, that Necrons are probably second dex in 2011 imo and that is what really matters here ^^
...Well at least if GKs/BTs are not between DE and them...

my_name_is_tudor
17-03-2010, 21:39
Probably... but visions tend to be inacurrate and mysterious... Perhaps it's a new GK unit ^^

The point is, that many rumours claim to get that one space, but there can be only one who gets it. I'm ready to drop the inquisition, since there were strong but not really plausible rumours. But all that doesn't quite change the fact, that Necrons are probably second dex in 2011 imo and that is what really matters here ^^
...Well at least if GKs/BTs are not between DE and them...

Harry's wording implied two Space Marine codexes this year. We've had Blood Angels, and the whole 'two sides' thing (if taken to mean anything at all) plus DPAs comments about broken swords in my opinion make Dark Angels the obvious choice.

I believe I remember Harry stating that Inquisitorial codexes were in progress but without a set date. I don't personally think Daemon Hunters or Grey Knights count as Space Marines for the purposes of people hinting at or collating rumours.

Harry, if I recall correctly, said there MAY be another codex before the end of this year. Presumably then we're looking at Necrons vs Dark Eldar. It has been mentioned in this thread by confident-sounding but unproven (I think) members that Necrons would be looking at a January launch. I can't see GW doing a December AND a January codex launch, especially not two big releases such as DE and 'crons.

I've also heard implied that Dark Eldar are going to happen some time during 2011, but nothing firm.

My speculation then is that we will next see Dark Angels followed by Necrons in the new year. Xmas will be a Fantasy launch (this is, after all, a 'year of Fantasy').

Or maybe this is all bull honky.

Combat Emu
17-03-2010, 21:52
Harry's wording implied two Space Marine codexes this year. We've had Blood Angels, and the whole 'two sides' thing (if taken to mean anything at all) plus DPAs comments about broken swords in my opinion make Dark Angels the obvious choice.

Ah right... I forgot something was "winging our way" :D
But I think the whole discussion about all those other release slots doesn't quite belong here. :angel:
Anyway I think I now sufficiently elaborated, why I think necrons get the second release slot and not the first in 2011. Though I'm still not sure what that means for these new rumours now.

ogretyrant
17-03-2010, 22:52
Quick question wanted to ask in the thread about the c'tan before it was closed. The outsider appeared in the black library novel daemon world right?

Edchopp
17-03-2010, 23:32

I wouldn't expect Tau before these guys, they are a range that need redoing but not to the same extent the others do plus If you read the new nid book Rob Cruddace (May he have a thousand blessings heaped upon him for IG) refers to a new crusade by the Imperium into the Tau.

I take that as a hint that the Cruddace will be writing the Tau book and as it was roughly ten months to a year between the guard book and the nid that it will be after January as they are a range that needs a lot of work.

Heap a whole load of salt on that though.

tazguy95
17-03-2010, 23:32
Quick question wanted to ask in the thread about the c'tan before it was closed. The outsider appeared in the black library novel daemon world right?

No, I don't believe so. That novel is about an uprising of chaotic savages attacking chaos marines who happen to live nearby (it's on a crone world).

I do hope however, that GW don't wreck Necrons. Not that it matters anyway, as the models will probably lure me into buying them anyway.:)

Merreck
17-03-2010, 23:38

No.

*YAR THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD MATEY!*

That thing in Demon World is supposed to be "The First Titan" and by that I mean the template upon which other titans were based on. It had "forgotten" what it was until the Alaric "convinced" it that it was a demon. Based on the implications (it's armor was a white marble like the Pariah's, it was capable of advanced self-repair, and the typical glowy neon green eyes and power sources), this titan was either Necrontyr tech OR tech COPIED from the Necrontyr. This matches other implications that human technological advancement copied off the Necrons until....they woke up and ushered in the Long Night and thus Man's superstition of technology. A lot of that is conjecture on my part, but that titan was most certainly NOT a C'tan.

*SPOILERS DONE*

The OUTSIDER is most likely inside a Dyson Sphere which is cruising toward Terra from the Southern Galatic Rim. It's the reason for that mass disturbance and avoidance from Hive Fleet Leviathan (Codex Necrons). The name of this...structure is Lyriax (Based on the Eldar codex).

THE MORE YOU KNOW!!!

Hokiecow
18-03-2010, 01:24
I wouldn't expect Tau before these guys, they are a range that need redoing but not to the same extent the others do plus If you read the new nid book Rob Cruddace (May he have a thousand blessings heaped upon him for IG) refers to a new crusade by the Imperium into the Tau.

Personally I don't want to Tau to be up next. I believe they need some quality time with the designers since their last codex was a rush job. But a lot of players believe they could be pushed out with minimal work, we've seen new models, and rumors of "Droning" and "Winging" hint that they will sooner then later.

Hopefully the schedule has been swapped around and they are not as soon as rumors once pointed.

I'm not sure why people are stating that everyone is saying DE is next. Harry made a speculation and everyone has taken it for gospel. I have not read anyone else that has corroborated his statement and he has also said their likely in 2011. I'm a DE player and I would LOVE for them to be next, but nothing has been posted that says THEY WILL IN 2010. If I'm wrong, please point me to the post of someone who's in the know that has said DE will be released in 2010

The OP is the only one who has said the Necron's will be early 2011, and he even said they have just finished the initial concept phase. Jervis once said it takes another 8-9 months after the plastic models are done before a codex can be released. If anything DE fit the early 2011 slot since axiom heard from a source that the DE Ravager molds are being digital edited.

@CE: you were :wtf:ed for you blanked statement that Tau and BT rumors were made up.

steppingonyou
18-03-2010, 05:06
the first post reminds me of something i saw also. i believe the conversation started with"finally the troops selection for necron wont be one choice of suck."

patrialuvien
18-03-2010, 06:22
So, basically, a lot of rumors have started recently insinuating a redo of 'Crons, but no real confirmation of new sculpts, just 'trust me guys'. Fine, they deserve a redo, 3rd ed stuff should be redone. However, given the time frame here, I'd bet on a 2011 release at the earliest.

DE are supposed to be done now, but you have to remember that we're talking about DE. GW may just up and decide to put them off longer, who knows? We might see them summer or fall if GW actually follows through with them.

Finally, we've got an apparent 'marine' codex incoming. So far, I haven't heard jack all about any new units or sculpts for BT, no mention of them anywhere, and they've had one of the more recent codex releases in 4th. With all the info we've heard from reputable sources about new GK sculpts, plastics, and the nod to GK's in the fluff description of the Stormraven, I'd say the GK's are that incoming marine codex. If all the BT speculation is based upon the fact a lot of BT fans want a new codex and they see 'marine codex' as a slot that only they could fill, then I call shenanigans on that.

steppingonyou
18-03-2010, 06:30
i really wish i didnt take so much heat and stop posting rumors. as GK are an army i play i payed close attention when the parade of stuff got waved by my face.

it will be nice to have some new GK units in a few months. ive said too much

Cain1001
18-03-2010, 06:49
Aren't GKs considered Inquisition and NOT Space Marines? Why would they hint at an upcoming Space Marine release and drop Demon or Witch hunters????

Spectral Dragon
18-03-2010, 07:22
When did this become about inquisition? Can we perhaps stay on topic so that yet another rumor thread doesn't get locked?

I hope some bits and pieces come down from more official channels soon as I am getting tired of knowing anything for sure at the last second, the rumors I posted a few pages ago I only know because I know a few people, and have confirmed with other individuals who seem to be in the know. I have been wrong on Necron rumors before, however.

nagash42
18-03-2010, 07:40
a broken sword?....robes?....power armor? that's cypher! could this mean a chaos dex is on the way I mean they are power armored and new rules for cypher would be cool.

On the necron front the dragon would be cool to see in model form.

Spectral Dragon
18-03-2010, 07:45
a broken sword?....robes?....power armor? that's cypher! could this mean a chaos dex is on the way I mean they are power armored and new rules for cypher would be cool.

On the necron front the dragon would be cool to see in model form.

That dragon would fill most of a table going by the few subtle hints we have at it's size ;)

ForgottenLore
18-03-2010, 07:45
I take that as a hint that the Cruddace will be writing the Tau book

From your mouth to GW's ears man.

Gargskull
18-03-2010, 08:15
That dragon would fill most of a table going by the few subtle hints we have at it's size ;)

Is this that Tomb Stalker fan art again or something else?

twistinthunder
18-03-2010, 08:16
Aren't GKs considered Inquisition and NOT Space Marines? Why would they hint at an upcoming Space Marine release and drop Demon or Witch hunters????

grey knight are actually a chapter of the adeptus astartes (space marines)

patrialuvien
18-03-2010, 08:21

Thank you. Honestly, they have very similar stat lines as SM and are about as close as SW or BA are to SM's, only they are used by the Malleus side of the Inquisition. The only non-SM part of the Inquisition are Sisters, which are just a hybrid of guard and SM themselves. Xeno Hunters are an amalgam of all chapters, so I really don't understand why another 'marine' codex must automatically mean Black Templar.

As to the off-topic'ness of this discussion, there's no where else to bring this up. Mods keep closing all the threads about it, like somehow 'Crons rumors and BT rumors have more clout than DH or WH ones :rolleyes:.

Spectral Dragon
18-03-2010, 08:22
Is this that Tomb Stalker fan art again or something else?

Fluff from a few codicis, "mechanicum" Novel.

MarksmanCypher
18-03-2010, 08:51
Good work. :)

After seeing that, it seems that 40k will get only 1 more army this year, I agree with you.

What army? My guess is Dark Eldar, they are sounding quite a lot.

So according with that historical schedule, Necrons in January 2011 is fairly possible, but that would leave 2 xenos codex one after the other without any 'imperial' between. :confused:

I don't see where this Imperial-Xenos-Imperial-Xenos thing is coming from:confused:

From 2005-April 2010:

Black Templars
Tau
Eldar
Dark Angels
Chaos Space Marines
Orks
Daemons
Space Marines
Imperial Guard
Space Wolves
Tyranids
Blood AngelsSo I'm not sure where this Imperial-Xenos-Imperial thing is coming from. It hasn't happened in years - Tau and Eldar aren't imperial, and Orks and Daemons certainly aren't, and Marines-Guard-Wolves doesn't have a xenos between.

So, really, Dark Eldar this year and Necrons early next year is more than feasable.

As a side note, there's one thing I would really really like to see in the codex - Lords being able to take wraith bodies :D

player21
18-03-2010, 09:27
who do you think is writing to codex? I am pretty sure kelly doing DE. So that leaves matt or robin.

Vhalyar
18-03-2010, 09:46
As to the off-topic'ness of this discussion, there's no where else to bring this up. Mods keep closing all the threads about it, like somehow 'Crons rumors and BT rumors have more clout than DH or WH ones :rolleyes:.

How about here? (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247038&page=14) :p

Gazak Blacktoof
18-03-2010, 10:56
it will be nice to have some new GK units in a few months. ive said too much

No that's just enough, thanks :D. Grey Knights look awesome so it'll be nice to see some more models and plogs for them.

taffeh
18-03-2010, 11:58
Hello, I can't start a thread.
Games Workshop have been very uncertain of the most lucrative theme by which to capitalise on its fanbase. The development is considered a high-risk investment – a commitment problem that the team is well aware of, and is exacerbated by there being multiple such high-risk line expansions currently being pursued.

I try and stay away from the rumour mill as much as possible but found this un trivially interesting

If I was a company / stakeholder with such a 'restrictive' release schedule to my customers for whatever reason other than giggles and I wanted to release a high-risk line, I'd go to a forum, pub or other gathering of said customers and start giving out tidbits to ensure hype is built up to ensure best success...

Trying to win favour by trying to connect with the fanbase on disgruntleness is also a good way...

rkunisch
18-03-2010, 13:34
Ah, but wouldn't that be true for all C'Tan? As far as I understand it, they use the necrodermis to transfer into another form. Why shouldn't the dragon not also be able to do this?

I always viewed the C'Tan on the table as a kind of avatar. :p

Have fun,

Rolf.

gorgon
18-03-2010, 14:17
Power armour, robes and a broken sword? That's Dark Angels.

Wow. That's a bit of a bombshell if it's DA. And DA would seem to be the obvious reference there.

Night Bearer
18-03-2010, 15:28
Aren't they even listed as Chapter 666?

Or has that been retconned??? :angel:

incomplete
18-03-2010, 16:01
As far as I understand it, they use the necrodermis to transfer into another form. Why shouldn't the dragon not also be able to do this?

I always viewed the C'Tan on the table as a kind of avatar. :p

hmmmm... i'm imagining a C'tan the size of a Trygon... that would be sweet!
:chrome:

Vedar
18-03-2010, 17:22
Immortals are on a large (35mm) base; they are redesigned as larger, bulkier and more dynamic.

When did GW ever use a 35MM base? I thought it was 40mm?

Sargarius
18-03-2010, 17:46
I doubt they would make a Dragon model, just because he still sleeps (rumours say on Mars). If he did wake though he had the strongest armies and technology, his armies would be broken...

The Outsider is still not really involved in the current "war" and is insane, so may not even care.

One thing I would like is if they started selling squad sets. If a unit has a min squad of 5, sell a box of 5!

FerociousBeast
18-03-2010, 19:01
Daemon Prince Adramalech said that the Stormraven will be released with the Grey Knights. That implies the Grey Knights will be released. It doesn't necessarily imply when the GKs will be released, but if DPA knows about specific releases for the GKs, it implies soon.

Couple an impending release of GK with rumors of a second power armor codex in 2010, and that lends strong support to Grey Knights being released in 2010.

Not going to be Dark Angels, I'm sorry to say.

ErikTheRed
18-03-2010, 19:34
Daemon Prince Adramalech said that the Stormraven will be released with the Grey Knights. That implies the Grey Knights will be released. It doesn't necessarily imply when the GKs will be released, but if DPA knows about specific releases for the GKs, it implies soon.

Couple an impending release of GK with rumors of a second power armor codex in 2010, and that lends strong support to Grey Knights being released in 2010.

Not going to be Dark Angels, I'm sorry to say.

And what about this ?

The veil parts.......images flash before his daemonic eyes......flashes of robes, flashes of power armour, flashes of a broken sword.

Fable
18-03-2010, 19:45
I don't mind that Necron2011 has never posted before. The main reason is because he has provided us with something we haven't had for a while... an actual rumor. Not just of the additional potential Necron unit, but of a potential divide between the designers and upper management.

It surprises me that so many people are ripping the OP for being unwilling to post any response to his post, mainly because when have we ever had that before in regards to a real rumor? Before he passed Brim had an e-mail account set up and sigged specifically for anonymous tip and rumor submissions which he would sift through and post. In such an instance we would never get the chance to directly confront the rumor poster, nor would we expect them to start posting a defence of their information.

Since his passing no MOD has stepped up to accept a similar level of responsibility, nor have any of the respected members of the community given such an offer, people who would be able to tell the difference between refuse and gold.

Until there is another avenue for rumors we'll simply have to accept that sometimes we'll get one off rumors submitted by people looking to do nothing other than give us one quick and dirty bit of info and disappear back into the shadows.

Gargskull
18-03-2010, 20:48
Fluff from a few codicis, "mechanicum" Novel.

Ah, I see, no pictures then I'm guessing?

hmmmm... i'm imagining a C'tan the size of a Trygon... that would be sweet!
:chrome:

That would indeed be awesome as hell, the Trygon is a stunning model. I got to see one at my local club last night not only built but absolutely beautifully painted. GW is truly doing some amazing models nowadays.

ForgottenLore
18-03-2010, 21:19

3 days apparently,

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/03/40k-rumors-necrons-2011-minis-and.html

patrialuvien
18-03-2010, 21:36
How about here? (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247038&page=14) :p

Hmm, yes, a rumor thread about all Inquisition getting killed off, oh yes I want to discuss rumors there.

Yeah, just gonna post this here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showpost.php?p=591748&postcount=70

:rolleyes:

decker_cky
18-03-2010, 22:05
To be fair....they didn't run with it as if it were a fact.

Gargskull
18-03-2010, 22:14
Why all the flak against bols? It clearly says rumours, it links back here, it advises caution etc. No where in that post did they say any of it was fact.

Daemon Prince Adramalech
18-03-2010, 23:24
And what about this ?

Ok i'll throw you a bone, the sons of the lion are not the only chapter to utelise a sword in their heraldry.

Gargskull
18-03-2010, 23:26
Are any veils parting today? ;)

Daemon Prince Adramalech
18-03-2010, 23:29
The Veils are always parting :)

Ba'al Starslayer
18-03-2010, 23:30
Grey Knights use the Sword piercing a book as iconography. Although only the Dark Angels Deathwing (As far as I'm aware) utilize the "Broken Sword" motif.

Daemon Prince Adramalech
18-03-2010, 23:42
Did i ever say that i meant the sword was broken in the literal sense?

prose.
18-03-2010, 23:46
the sons of the lion are not the only chapter to utelise a sword in their heraldry
They are the only ones to utilize a broken sword in their heraldry though. Unless somethings changed. Oh well. I assume you're referring to Grey Knights then. Thanks for the hint.:)

Why all the flak against bols? It clearly says rumours, it links back here, it advises caution etc. No where in that post did they say any of it was fact.
The underlying misogyny of the "anatomy of a girl gamer" (get it anatomy teehee) article is why I don't respect them personally. Also, while I'm not Stelek's greatest fan, members of the BoLS community cracked jokes about his wife's miscarriage in response to Stelek pointing out that "Leafblower" was not in fact an optimized Imperial Guard list. Granted this wasn't the site administrators themselves but it happened under their watch and deserves to be an embarrassment for their website.

Classy gents.

People here tend to only dislike them 'cause they give bad tactical advice and lazily take most of their rumours from here (they've gotten in the habit of sourcing them but they're not really a rumour site if they're using other sites' rumours all the time are they?).

Sorry for not even trying to stay on topic. Anatomy of a Girl Gamer just pissed me off so much. I'm interested to see what changes Necrons have in store for them. Grey Knights too.

Ba'al Starslayer
18-03-2010, 23:48
According to an earlier quote it's a -Broken- sword that was seen... I think. Or am i misreading? Either way I thought BTs were on their way.... Please tell me they are... please? :P

Gargskull
18-03-2010, 23:53
The Veils are always parting :)

That sounds amusingly rude. :D:p

The underlying misogyny of the "anatomy of a girl gamer" (get it anatomy teehee) article is why I don't respect them personally. Also, while I'm not Stelek's greatest fan, members of the BoLS community cracked jokes about his wife's miscarriage in response to Stelek pointing out that "Leafblower" was not in fact an optimized Imperial Guard list. Granted this wasn't the site administrators themselves but it happened under their watch and deserves to be an embarrassment for their website.

Fair enough, I thought it was just a news theft issue. I used to read bols years ago but haven't bothered in just as long.

According to an earlier quote it's a -Broken- sword that was seen... I think. Or am i misreading? Either way I thought BTs were on their way.... Please tell me they are... please? :P

Geez, one guy sees a model that's fallen off the table and suffered a little battle damage and it's like the damn da vinic code in here. :p

pointedstick
18-03-2010, 23:57
They are the only ones to utilize a broken sword in their heraldry though. Unless somethings changed. Oh well. I assume you're referring to Grey Knights then. Thanks for the hint.:)

The underlying misogyny of the "anatomy of a girl gamer" (get it anatomy teehee) article is why I don't respect them personally

I am a girl gamer and I found that article rather offensive myself.

On topic, I am looking forward to all these up coming 40k releases over the next year or so, wonderful stuff. Nicely spaced so I should be able to afford them all too :p

I like these Necron rumours, they desperately need to be something other than a marine equivalent.

-AIR-
19-03-2010, 00:29
Ok i'll throw you a bone, the sons of the lion are not the only chapter to utelise a sword in their heraldry.
If I'm not mistaken, High Marshall Helbrecht wields a sword forged from Rogal Dorn's broken sword. Or was it someone else?

Iverald
19-03-2010, 00:52
But a REAL sword is hardly iconographic, isn't it? ;)

Templars have sword icons on theeir chapter upgrade sprue, but the symbol is nowhere near as common as on GK's.

Mirbeau
19-03-2010, 01:06
Templars and DA have been shot down repeatedly by the main rumour mongerers, it seems very clear it's not them. And it's looking very likely it is indeed Grey Knights... I wonder to what extent the inquistion would feature in a Grey Knight book, if at all.... and what lovely flying silver things may replace them...

Joewrightgm
19-03-2010, 01:12
Well, the Black Templar's Chapter Master has a sword that was originally Rogal Dorn's, after Rogal had broken it in disgust at his failure to protect the Emperor. It was re-forged and given I believe to Sigismund, the Emperor's Champion of the Imperial Fist Legion after the Heresy. It was then passed down through the millenia.

Also, the Dark Angel Deathwing company banner features a broken sword, as well as their company badge.

Very interesting.

MarksmanCypher
19-03-2010, 01:18
Don't forget that it's rumoured Cypher carries Lion El'Jonson's sword, broken when he duelled Luther...

The Dude
19-03-2010, 01:18
Wasn't this thread about Necrons?

Joewrightgm
19-03-2010, 01:33

Fair point. :shifty:

I'm excited to see how much bigger the Necron codex will be; the 3rd edition one was on par for thickness with the other books at the time, but the big thing is where they will take the continuity.

For example, will we find out what the World Engine was? Will they take a more in-depth look at the Damnos Incident?

I can almost say for certain that they will, because in one of the awesome design philosophy pod casts, Jervis and others mentioned that events will carry through different books, and the example they used was Damnos.

I will also be interested to see who gets the writing credit for the Codex; if you look on the inside cover of the current one, it has no less than Phil Kelly, Andy Chambers, Pete Haines, Graham Mcneill, and Andy Hoare.

Now how much writing each did I'm not sure, but since it seems that each new book is only credited to one writer, it will be interesting to see who lands that gig.

pointedstick
19-03-2010, 01:39
the name itself has some very interesting implications. Necromancers are traditionally those that deal with death magic, and in particular raising the dead. So could it be that we're going to see some actual, honest-to-god zombies in 40k?

Could just as easily refer to the deathless robotic necrons. Necrons aren't going to have zombies are they.

The Dude
19-03-2010, 01:44
This "Necromancer" sounds very interesting. Obviously it'd be the seemingly compulsory new "big toy" that all armies seem to be getting nowadays (in both 40k and FB), but the name itself has some very interesting implications. Necromancers are traditionally those that deal with death magic, and in particular raising the dead. So could it be that we're going to see some actual, honest-to-god zombies in 40k?

Or it could be a working name based on it's function, ie, that it raises or creates Necrons.

It will likely turn out to use elements of the Tomb Spyder / Res Orb / Monolith portal.

If it does turn out to be called a Necromancer, it's just an Imperial Designation anyway, so that's fine.

Sort of.

Reflex
19-03-2010, 01:44
to be honest, the necron rumours and whishlisting has gone crazy over the last 2 years.
such things as wwb is gone for fnp, they are getting s/p, there is a new tank, immortals are now unit leaders, the monolith is going to cost 300pts, to be released in sept 08, no january 09, no january 2010 etc etc etc etc (the list could take several pages to complete.

so even with this 'new source', which for all we know could be a hoax to just create ripples in the pond, the expected outcome of the necron codex is still basically unknown and in a whishlisting stage.

for all we know, when the codex is released things could take a complete left turn and out walking horde of "metallic space marine zombies" now becomes a horde of "metallic space orks" or "metallic guardsmen".

imo, since gw have stamped thier foot down on rumours and i take very little notice of this new source.

i still love and play my crons, and ill still wait for a codex, but as for rumors and such i take no heed as the last few years have coughed up nothing but false hope and squabble wishlisting.

FerociousBeast
19-03-2010, 01:59
Is it just me, or are the Necrons really boring? I think that might be part of what is meant in the OP when it says that Necrons are a high-risk investment.

Their background seems like it might be interesting, but they really are only interesting in my opinion as villains, as an opponent to vanquish. Actually playing them has always seemed a particularly uninspiring idea. The army just frankly lacks character. Like the Tyranid gribblies, except the whole army is like that. Few colors, few variations in pose or armament, no personality quirks or variations.

In other words, they are very satisfying to blow away by the dozen, but spending the time and money required to field them yourself doesn't sound nearly as fun.

I know that a lot of people love their Necrons. But I also know that a lot more never started a Necron army. Games Workshop has their work cut out for them with the next Codex Necrons.

pointedstick
19-03-2010, 02:04
Is it just me, or are the Necrons really boring?

It is the problem with a lot of armies on their first outing, Dark Eldar are far more interesting fluff wise than rule wise, as were Tau in their first codex. Necrons could be a great army, there is an awful lot of untapped potential, they just need a bit more depth.

Hoarmurel
19-03-2010, 02:42
Or it could be a working name based on it's function, ie, that it raises or creates Necrons.

Yes, i agree with this. 'Necromancer' could be the name for the main function in background or rules. Can be some sort of "portable stasis tomb" to raise/repair damaged necrons.

Or perhaps could be only a name for the thing, without any more implications :)

jspyd3rx
19-03-2010, 03:54
Maybe the Necromancer can give the entire army feel no pain regardless of what downed them. That would be awesome and very scary. Could give folks a reason to max out on warriors.

Dranthar
19-03-2010, 04:48
What the... my last post disappeared?! What the hell happened?? :wtf:

Could just as easily refer to the deathless robotic necrons. Necrons aren't going to have zombies are they.

Mmm, you might be right. :shifty:

But I can still hope! Gosh darn it, I want a cheapo cannon-fodder zombie horde! :D

19-03-2010, 04:52
plastic immortals would be awesome, i hope they make them nice and bulky, two wounds would be good too.

Night Bearer
19-03-2010, 04:56
Since his passing no MOD has stepped up to accept a similar level of responsibility, nor have any of the respected members of the community given such an offer, people who would be able to tell the difference between refuse and gold.
I'm neither a mod nor a respected member of the community, but I'd be willing to take on that responsibility.

massey
19-03-2010, 05:28
Maybe the Necromancer can give the entire army feel no pain regardless of what downed them. That would be awesome and very scary. Could give folks a reason to max out on warriors.

That would suck. I'm sick of the Necron horde. Make them even more boring. I hope they change up the Necrons a bit.

Kurgash
19-03-2010, 05:48
If anything, I see the Necromancer as a portable power matrix portal for necron units to teleport through and reroll WBB, giving the appearance of the dead rising to their feet again, like in ancient legends of dark wizards.

MarksmanCypher
19-03-2010, 06:17
Maybe the Necromancer will be Wraithlord-esque.

High toughness and strength, can be tooled up with lots of shooty stuff, but without the Wraithsight and he instead has the necron WBB or FNP or whatever else they may have, and can also spawn Necron Warriors in a way similar to how the Tervigon spawns termagants.

cuda1179
19-03-2010, 06:42
My hope for the Necromancer would be for it to be somewhere between the wraithlord and the Tervigon. I don't really care if it has wounds or and armor value, but please let it fit the Necron archeotype. Very tough, but slow.

What I'd like it's stats to be. Either toughness 7, with 3 wounds, or armor 13, 12, 11. Inititive 2, 2 attacks, Standard Necron WS and BS, strenth 7, 3+ save.

Maybe one decent shooting weapons (guass cannon or heavy guass cannon) and then have some GREAT support abilities. Either improves WBB rolls, or has a long-range orb effect.

cuda1179
19-03-2010, 06:44
I would also like to agree that Immortals should be bulkier. I actually prefer the older style Necron Immortals from before the codex. They were REALLY bulky and I thought they were a tad too big for 25mm bases. They also definately looked like they were toughness 5, unlike the new immortals that just look like taller warriors with large shoulder pads.

MarksmanCypher
19-03-2010, 06:57
My hope for the Necromancer would be for it to be somewhere between the wraithlord and the Tervigon. I don't really care if it has wounds or and armor value, but please let it fit the Necron archeotype. Very tough, but slow.

What I'd like it's stats to be. Either toughness 7, with 3 wounds, or armor 13, 12, 11. Inititive 2, 2 attacks, Standard Necron WS and BS, strenth 7, 3+ save.

Maybe one decent shooting weapons (guass cannon or heavy guass cannon) and then have some GREAT support abilities. Either improves WBB rolls, or has a long-range orb effect.

I'd rather see it with a Toughness value rather than an armour value, although an AV would make it more Necron-like and prevent it from being turned into a Spawn.

I think the Necron Lord should be more customisable. Right now there's not much you can do with them and I think more diversity would be better - maybe able to give it Flayed One hands which would make it rending, or a Wraith body.

I can tell you now, if I can do a lord with a Wraith body, I'll do a Necron army just for the opportunity to convert a freaky-looking lord.

cuda1179
19-03-2010, 07:06
I'd rather see it with a Toughness value rather than an armour value, although an AV would make it more Necron-like and prevent it from being turned into a Spawn.

I think the Necron Lord should be more customisable. Right now there's not much you can do with them and I think more diversity would be better - maybe able to give it Flayed One hands which would make it rending, or a Wraith body.

I can tell you now, if I can do a lord with a Wraith body, I'll do a Necron army just for the opportunity to convert a freaky-looking lord.

I agree that a Wraith-Lord would be the coolest thing that has happened to 40k in years. I all ready have 4 lords, and would get another if that became an option.

Revlid
19-03-2010, 08:43
Is it just me, or are the Necrons really boring? I think that might be part of what is meant in the OP when it says that Necrons are a high-risk investment.

Their background seems like it might be interesting, but they really are only interesting in my opinion as villains, as an opponent to vanquish. Actually playing them has always seemed a particularly uninspiring idea. The army just frankly lacks character. Like the Tyranid gribblies, except the whole army is like that. Few colors, few variations in pose or armament, no personality quirks or variations.

Much like many starting armies. Giving them character is a large part of what this update will be about.

There are loads (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3940267&postcount=1)of (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3630165&highlight=necron#post3630165)ideas (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4198804&highlight=necron#post4198804)floating (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2951505&postcount=1)around the fanbase for characterful changes and additions, and more being added by the Dev Team that (to my knowledge) no-one's yet suggested.

Combat Emu
19-03-2010, 10:31
I agree with Revlid. There is very much potential for interesting characters there, especially in form of the necron lords.
The thing is: Many ppl only see necrons as metal murder machines. But actually they are once living metal murder machines with a tad of character still in there somewhere. So if you started a story with the necrontyrean life of a Lord e.g. there could be really interesting and even tragic charakters there, now merely a shade of what they once were.
Also there are the C'tan. Especially the Deceiver is able to really make for interesting stories. I love that callidus story :D All it takes here is for the C'tan to be a little more attached to the minor mortals... maybe also with some favorite lords or something and a few more goals besides to feast for all eternity. I mean just feasting isn't as great as if you also had some entertainement to go with it ^^
Ok, of course there should be still differences among them. I could think that the deceiver just deceives for fun while the dragon does everything to gather more power. Nightbringer want's to feast ^^ and the Outsider seeks revenge on the laughing god somewhere deep in his twisted mind.

I don't say, that every Necron should get an identity, certainly not! That's part of their flavour. But some reminders of former great characters could establish much better plots than just: "They want to kill everything."
Though that motif is still a part of the Necrontyr culture, there is (or at least was) certainly more to their lifes than just that.

But these are just my two cents...

prose.
19-03-2010, 12:53

Well there was a piece of fluff that came out in White Dwarf IIRC around the time the C'Tan miniatures came out that hinted at Cypher duelling with a C'Tan, drawing the blade he keeps with him and promptly losing it into the necodermis like a Callidus assassin.

So it all kinda comes full circle I guess... ;)

As to the new codex fluff: The 5th Edition Rulebook has that blurb in the Necron fluff about some of their programs degrading and being stuck in loops, carrying out the same actions over and over again. I think it's a safe bet they'll be playing the glitching machines angle up further and likely downplaying the C'Tan as they weren't even mentioned in the rulebook.

gorgon
19-03-2010, 14:29
I agree with Revlid. There is very much potential for interesting characters there, especially in form of the necron lords.
The thing is: Many ppl only see necrons as metal murder machines. But actually they are once living metal murder machines with a tad of character still in there somewhere. So if you started a story with the necrontyrean life of a Lord e.g. there could be really interesting and even tragic charakters there, now merely a shade of what they once were.

Agree 100%. The notion that "Necrons are supposed to be boring" is a fallacy.

I still say part of the problem is conceptual. There's all that ornate, atmospheric Lovecraftian fluff in their background, and then when it gets to army lists and gameplay they're just a faceless robot army, designed for uniformity like the Star Trek Borg (I know they're cyborgs, but you get my meaning).

Look at the Warrior models...they evoke sleek and high-tech far more than ancient elder races and cosmic horror. I generally like the design, but they're NOTHING like what you'd envision if someone asked you to close your eyes and imagine a Lovecraftian robot.

If they get Necrons in a little bit better spot conceptually, I think a lot of good stuff will naturally flow from that. I think a fresh approach to Lords that gives them more personality almost HAS to be part of the solution. IIRC, Apocalypse refers to "levels" of Lords based on their function (and thereby what type of army they lead). That may be laying the groundwork for what we'll see in the codex.

And I still say they'll get closer to their fluff and more interesting as an army once fear and psychology becomes a more central part of their gameplay rather than a shameless Terminator-inspired rule.

FerociousBeast
19-03-2010, 15:25
Agree 100%. The notion that "Necrons are supposed to be boring" is a fallacy.
I don't think anyone is saying that Necrons are supposed to be boring. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, they are currently boring, and that it would be difficult to make them much more interesting without betraying the concept of a vast horde of automatons.

Giving Lords more personality is a start, and I think upping the involvement of the C'tan in some way or another is going to be a given, although in the latter case, you have to be careful. You don't want the C'tan to become necessary to the army list.

Hell, who knows. Given GW's take on special characters lately, maybe they will want C'tan to be necessary to the army list.

gorgon
19-03-2010, 15:38
Oh, not trying to put words in your or anyone else's mouth. It's just that I've seen that opinion expressed elsewhere at other times.

I do think the latter part of your statement creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. I agree it's hard to do anything when the concept is "faceless horde of automatons." That's why I advocate some conceptual shifts.

And IMO you have it somewhat backwards. The issue with Necrons as currently designed is that they went for a "space undead" structure in which the C'tan as necromancer/vampire/whatever holds all the personality, with the Necrons as skeletons/zombies having none.

So if you want to play Necrons without fielding a C'tan, all you have left are plain metal skeletons without any personality or character. IMO, they need to both beef up the Lord's personality and find ways to subtlely give more personality to the individual units. It's Codex: Necrons, not Codex: C'tan.

But who knows what their approach will be.

lowmanjason
19-03-2010, 15:47

this reminds me of some fan fluff i read once about a lord that hated and destoyed all life because of the the betray and loss of his wife. (loss of his wife being his only memory or something)

this inspires me to start a new thread about lords and backgrounds for them and thier armys. hope to see some you there!;)

Jagged
19-03-2010, 15:48
Caveat: My knowledge of Necrons is wafer thin!

Not knowing much or indeed anything about the Necrons I always assumed they were suppose to be 1) the 40k equivalent of Tomb Kings and 2) Lords or Law as opposed to Lord of Chaos. I don't see why any of that should need to result a boring army.

You can shoot me down now :)

Souleater
19-03-2010, 16:14
They could develop some personality in the troops as well. Are Flayed Ones some kind of psychopath or simply 'degraded' Warriors? If a Warrior degrades mentally and keeps charging into the enemy will he get uploaded into a Flayed One shell?

Do Pariahs have more sentience than their older kin? How do they feel about stuff?

Then we've got the whole artificial constructs thing going on.

I'd like to see more with the teleportation aspect of them, too.

I agree that they need to pull away from the WHFB undead horde. I personally would prefer the Necron to be a more elite low model count army. A small force of them should be somethign to fear, with the larger legions in the background being a true nightmare to contend with. I know that a lot of people prefer the hordey style.

And upping the Lovecraftian elder gods terror and insanity would be a fantastic way of moving away from the 'faceless bodies' horde approach. I'm not sure how it would work in game mind you - 40K seems to be very poor in terms of troop psychology.

There is also the danger of stepping on the toes of the Chaos Gods...except the C'tan came into existence long before them, of course...but in games terms I think C'tan followers would lack the psychic powers making up for them in terms of fear, confusion and disorientation.

Theocracity
19-03-2010, 16:16
Personally I hope they pump up the idea that were mentioned in the recent Battle Missions book. The fluff in there suggests that the Necrons were the reasons that humanity flourished and took over the galaxy - so that they could be an easy food source for the C'tan. The idea that the humanity was always undermined by them, through the Untouchable gene and the technology that was founded on Necron tech from Mars, is something they could explore in the form of anti-psyker cultists and machine spirit betrayals.

Whatever the case I hope there's variation, as any good army has many different facets that can be represented on the table. Malfunctioning robots, primoridal Necrontyr culture, eons old creatures clinging to faded memories (or going straight-up insane), scheming cults, Mechanicus betrayals, unfathomably powerful technology, capricious star gods... there's a ton of material that can make Necron interesting both in fluff and on the table.

pointedstick
19-03-2010, 16:21
I agree that they need to pull away from the WHFB undead horde. I personally would prefer the Necron to be a more elite low model count army. A small force of them should be somethign to fear, with the larger legions in the background being a true nightmare to contend with.

Definitely, every single warrior should be a threat, and something you worry about, just as they were in second edition