PDA

View Full Version : A "cheap way" to buy necrons?

Alltaken
15-03-2010, 20:28
Hi guys, I've been really of 40k for about 5 years or so. Played some 4th edition full proxy necron army. I really love them and want to build a my first 40k army. Since I'm now able to buy from GW, allready bought 1,75 armies of fantasy and they seem pretty cheap compared to building nec's.

I used to play with a lot of warriors and veil + immortal's or heavy on destroyers, maybe 3 heavy destros in the oddest case, and 1 or 2 monos. I also liked scarabs.

Since I haven't played any 5th and I'm not aware of any rumors on future realeses could you please recommend what's viable, what could come as a 2k list with 2 or 3 builds, that's not hugely overcosted. Since with 300 USD I can make a fairly variable WH army. How can I go 40k wiht more or less that amount?

MadHatter
15-03-2010, 20:42
I use warriors and destroyers. With destroyer lord and a foot lord. and a couple monoliths.

I try to max out the warriors in a squard to prevent phase out.

bigcheese76
15-03-2010, 20:56
Plenty of warriors is a good start point, then a lord with a res orb and some destroyers too. Eventually a Monolith but dont use it below 2000 for fear of phasing out. If you want to go up to 3000 the Nightbringer may be a good way to go. Also, so you know, rumours are currently that we will see a new Necron codex in 2011, but nothing is definate.

Vedar
15-03-2010, 21:06
The Necron Battleforce is one of the best buys for Battleforces. Everything in there you can use.

Buy 2 boxes for around $70 each (ebay) and you get

56 Warriors
6 Destroyers
14 scarabs

That leaves you $150 to buy a monolith, some immortals and a lord or 2.

Sekhmet
15-03-2010, 21:16
Yeah I agree. In my opinion, Battleforce + Lord is a very good start on a Necron force. If you're really stingy with Scarabs, you can buy an extra bag of large bases to make 15 or so swarms*.

I'd personally get battleforce and a lord and play a few small games before going any higher, but two battleforces is kind of a waste as tons of warriors is not anything near the best Necron army, nor is it remotely fun for either player.

*swarms = bases representing scarabs by using only one or two actual scarabs rather than the four you usually see. I personally use three scarabs per base to represent the three wounds they have, which also helps me save money on more scarabs.

MadHatter
15-03-2010, 21:18
Plenty of warriors is a good start point, then a lord with a res orb and some destroyers too. Eventually a Monolith but dont use it below 2000 for fear of phasing out. If you want to go up to 3000 the Nightbringer may be a good way to go. Also, so you know, rumours are currently that we will see a new Necron codex in 2011, but nothing is definate.

Why not? it can save units from being lost. its a floating weapons platforms. and its living metal makes it a beast. your power matrix can not be destroyed.

Inach
15-03-2010, 23:07
Try to convert 2 warriors into 1 immortal. Its a cheap and very good looking way. There are plenty guides around.
Destroyers will work very good, they are the cron 'workhorse'. Good luck and have fun!

IcedAnimals
16-03-2010, 00:27
Yeah I agree. In my opinion, Battleforce + Lord is a very good start on a Necron force. If you're really stingy with Scarabs, you can buy an extra bag of large bases to make 15 or so swarms*.

I'd personally get battleforce and a lord and play a few small games before going any higher, but two battleforces is kind of a waste as tons of warriors is not anything near the best Necron army, nor is it remotely fun for either player.

*swarms = bases representing scarabs by using only one or two actual scarabs rather than the four you usually see. I personally use three scarabs per base to represent the three wounds they have, which also helps me save money on more scarabs.

I put 3 scarabs on my swarm bases as well. Unfortunately it doesnt help with the amount I need to buy as I put the extra scarab on the bases of my other models like my warriors.

e2055261
16-03-2010, 00:33
Get the battleforce bfor GW pull it. It's probably the best value BF out there at the moment. This will change when the Necrons get a new codex.

Sekhmet
16-03-2010, 00:34
Try to convert 2 warriors into 1 immortal. Its a cheap and very good looking way. There are plenty guides around.
Destroyers will work very good, they are the cron 'workhorse'. Good luck and have fun!
There are plastic immortals coming out within a year or so, so I would hold off on that.

BladeWalker
16-03-2010, 01:50
@OP: Yeah, I'd buy 2 Battleforces, 2 Monoliths and a Lord. The rest I would hold off on until there is a new book.

Tethylis
16-03-2010, 04:04
Look out on ebay for some of the old style metal warriors to use as Immortals. I managed to pick up 2 lots of 20+ of these old guys and I really like the style of them so much I think they fit they idea of an ancient millenia old immortal perfectly. I also like using the old style metal scarabs for Tomb Spyder spawned scarab bases

There are at least 4 squads of there old guys going on ebay atm aswell as various single models

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 04:40
Scratch build your monoliths. Seriously, I mean, it`s just a pyramid.

MajorWesJanson
16-03-2010, 06:19
@OP: Yeah, I'd buy 2 Battleforces, 2 Monoliths and a Lord. The rest I would hold off on until there is a new book.

This. And maybe a 3rd battleforce when you get the money.

scarletsquig
16-03-2010, 09:43
As everyone has said, you're in luck, Necrons just happen to be the best value-for-money 40k army that exists.

High-point models, lots of plastic, tons of stuff in the battleforce.

don_mondo
16-03-2010, 10:05
www.bartertown.com

owen matthew
16-03-2010, 12:08
Why not? it can save units from being lost. its a floating weapons platforms. and its living metal makes it a beast. your power matrix can not be destroyed.

Plenty of armies will make it pop in a round or two, or even worse, ignore it and burn down the already dwindled numbers of Necrons because you brought the thing to begin with. I do not use it myself.

Alltaken
16-03-2010, 13:08
TY guys, probably going for a battleforce and a Lith for starters, maybe a second battleforce eventually. Though I'll definetly need more destros than warriors after a battleforce probably.

@Sekhmet Nice to now that immo's are going plastic, thanks for the news.

MadHatter
16-03-2010, 18:42
Plenty of armies will make it pop in a round or two, or even worse, ignore it and burn down the already dwindled numbers of Necrons because you brought the thing to begin with. I do not use it myself.

The monolith will allow you to save warriors who failed thier WBB rolls. it has a weapon which cannot be destroyed. It is a monster and denys the the second die for armor penatration.

If they ignore it ok. then beat them down. deep stike it into the center of the table, giving yourself the most oppertunity to use it. I personally love this weapon of mass destruction just to save those who get forced into close combat or have failed their WBB rolls.

And not everyone has to use it. Nor would i expect everyone who plays necrons to use it.

Starwolf
16-03-2010, 19:53
Don't get 2 battleforces. 1 has enough warriors that you won't need any more. Plus, warriors are pretty boring. Extra destroyers and immortals are always a good choice. I know Immortals are supposed to be going plastic at some point, but the metal models do look pretty nice.

IcedAnimals
16-03-2010, 20:14
I just got the old necron megaforce or whatever it was called. Usually cost 200$ but I got mine for 100. Its basically a super version of the battleforce. Though it seems to be no longer available (I got mine less than 2 months ago in store). Also while browsing their website I noticed the scarab swarm is the old original metal scarabs. I thought they were discontinued in favor of the sleek plastic ones.