PDA

View Full Version : If you were to open a store, what would you sell?

mafty
16-03-2010, 18:44
Aside from the GW 40k and Fantasy line up, what would you sell? magic, D&D, hordes/warmachine, etc?

MadHatter
16-03-2010, 18:46
I would sell what the customers asked for. Magic and CCG are going to make it so most games stores can keep thier doors open. But truthfully if you are wanting to open a store you should listen to the clients. as every location will have different desires.

N810
16-03-2010, 18:47
I would sell and range or game that I liked,
and I would let the customers brouse too.

Dejay
16-03-2010, 18:47
Space Marines most likely.

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 18:48
I would dedicate a significant amount of space to smaller studios like MaxMini and MicroArt if they had decent margins. Other than that, I would obviously go by what the customers liked. I'd spend some time getting to know them, and try to order stuff that they would enjoy playing with. But I would definately like to focus on obscure products. It's a lot more visceral when you see the MicroArt AdMEch guys right in front of you for example.

I think most places need to bite the bullet and sell those damn CCGs in order to make ends meet, unfortunately.

Malorian
16-03-2010, 18:49
Ice cream in the shape of dead babies...

(This should be in random musings.)

Culven
16-03-2010, 18:53
I agree with MadHatter. The store needs to offer what the customers want to buy. Otherwise, there will be reduced sales and more product taking up retail space.

One of the issues that I have considered it the lack of profit on gaming tables. Rent still needs to be paid for that space. So, to balance it, the store needs some product which will provide stronger sales with less space. Magic can help with this, but like GW games, some space is still needed for gaming, otherwise sales will drop. Tournaments and organized play seem to be key in maintaining the sales of miniature and card games. One solution I thought of is building special tables which have comic boxes and then during game time, a game table "lid" can be added to provide space. That way, the floor space will be able to make some money when nobody is playing on it.

sigur
Definately.

@mafty: Welcome to Warseer. This messageboard goes beyond 40k general and you should think where your thread belongs before you start it.

By the way, how is ice cream shaped like dead babies any different than regular baby-shaped ice cream? :eyebrows:

kermit
My local store has... but not complete list:

20 Computers with all the desired titles (WoW, etc)
Trade Paperbacks for "graphic novels", with the ability to order single issues on request
Warhammer
Warhammer 40K
Misc. figures (McFarlane type things)
Magic, and other CCGs
Hockey cards
Posters
D&D books and accessories and special orders for other RPG's
Swords with special order books available
Hockey memorabilia, as it is in Canada and he sells tons
Food, lots of fried stuff, quite a list of different food products
2 - 8' tables and 2 - 4' tables for all types of gaming
Drinks, Pop (soda) and a slushy machine

That is about all I can think. I think the secret to a good store, is the staff. All of my local's staff know their stuff... they are very friendly and personable to just about everyone. The store is open from 10am to midnight 7 days a week.

Malorian
16-03-2010, 18:56
"By the way, how is ice cream shaped like dead babies any different than regular baby-shaped ice cream?"

It's white instead of pink and there are X's instead of eyes.

Dio´Ra
16-03-2010, 19:00
My local store has... but not complete list:

20 Computers with all the desired titles (WoW, etc)
Trade Paperbacks for "graphic novels", with the ability to order single issues on request
Warhammer
Warhammer 40K
Misc. figures (McFarlane type things)
Magic, and other CCGs
Hockey cards
Posters
D&D books and accessories and special orders for other RPG's
Swords with special order books available
Hockey memorabilia, as it is in Canada and he sells tons
Food, lots of fried stuff, quite a list of different food products
2 - 8' tables and 2 - 4' tables for all types of gaming
Drinks, Pop (soda) and a slushy machine

That is about all I can think. I think the secret to a good store, is the staff. All of my local's staff know their stuff... they are very friendly and personable to just about everyone. The store is open from 10am to midnight 7 days a week.

I that an actual store or your vision of the perfect store? :evilgrin: You could basicaly live in that place 24/7 if you add a sleeping couch to it :p

mafty
16-03-2010, 19:00
Definately.

@mafty: Welcome to Warseer. This messageboard goes beyond 40k general and you should think where your thread belongs before you start it.

By the way, how is ice cream shaped like dead babies any different than regular baby-shaped ice cream? :eyebrows:

didnt know where else to post it, its 40k relevant. Move it if its in the wrong spot i guess.

anyways, liking the ideas, keep me coming guys.

Radium
16-03-2010, 19:04

It'd look more mutilated I guess?

I'd sell blonde scandinavian women. Come on, you all know I'd make more money than microsoft by selling women to gamers :p.

sigur
16-03-2010, 19:07
It'd look more mutilated I guess?

I'd sell blonde scandinavian women. Come on, you all know I'd make more money than microsoft by selling women to gamers :p.

Yes, because most babies die by ripped out limbs than any other causes.

And: AHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHA gamers are stupidl LOL I totall get wat u sayn LOl :eyebrows:

wazatdingder
16-03-2010, 19:18
Beer and fried pickles.

Culven
16-03-2010, 19:29
Oh, you mean real women. I don't know how you would make money doing that. Gamers either don't know what to do with women or they would get tired of one and not want to waste the money on another.

Now, if you have woman shaped ice creams, which the gamers could lick all day, and would eventually need to be replaced . . . that is where the money would be. :D

IcedAnimals
16-03-2010, 19:39
What I sell isn't important! Its how I sell it! Gotta make sure your store has girls in maid outfits dealing with the customers.

Lord of Worms
16-03-2010, 19:40
You gotta move the merchandise quick to pay for "help" like that, my friend.
Unless you're a front for the mob :shifty:

Dangersaurus
16-03-2010, 19:57
If nothing else I admire your fortitude if you're opening a niche-of-a-niche store in the current hobby market. I'd go with toys or sports gear and sell the hobby stuff on the side.

Question: How do you make a small fortune as a hobby game retailer?

stroller
16-03-2010, 20:19
Question: How do you make a small fortune as a hobby game retailer?

Answer: Start with a large fortune... same as airlines.

massey
16-03-2010, 20:26
Yeah, I probably wouldn't open a game store. There are better ways to invest your money and get a good return. If you're in a town where there's not a game store, and you're looking to do it for your livelihood, you need to be prepared to sell whatever your customers will buy. I'd look at ccgs, board games, video games, comic books, things like that.

You want to get product that will move as quickly as possible. You don't want to have huge piles of old games sitting around taking up space. More space equals more rent. One thing that is a big seller in our local store is (not really surprisingly) the vending machine. Keep a coke machine and a candy machine well stocked. You might only make ten cents on a coke, but especially on game nights, you'll sell tons of those things.

Fobster
16-03-2010, 20:38
Anyone had any experience with a store that had tables you could book and pay per hour? Most stores have games nights but aren't usually set up for you to just rock up and play. I know you could go to a gw store but then you'd be at a gw store with red shirt types.

N810
16-03-2010, 20:44
Hmmm....

Actualy an in-store lunch counter might not be too bad of an idea...
something along the lines of what you might find in a convience store in the USA.
Basicly anything you could deepfry, grill, microwave or put together cold.

But definately keep the restuant area sectioned off as to not make too much of a mess.

Culven
16-03-2010, 21:01
Anyone had any experience with a store that had tables you could book and pay per hour?
I have only heard bad things about a store that wants to rent tables by the hour. I have thought about the issue, and I think that a fee to reserve a table might work better. Then if someone wants to ensure they have a table during a specific time, they can. Otherwise, it would be first come - first served. The fee should also be per table used, not per player.

viking657
16-03-2010, 21:08
I tell you what I wouldn't stock and thats lord of the rings

Culven
16-03-2010, 21:11
I tell you what I wouldn't stock and thats lord of the rings
Well then, how do you propose to collect all of the dust in the store? :eyebrows:

scopedog91
16-03-2010, 21:16
I would sell...men's toiletries...damn some of us nerds are smelly bastards...oh, and I would also sell dirty magazines...

Ironhand
16-03-2010, 21:18
What I sell isn't important! Its how I sell it! Gotta make sure your store has girls in maid outfits dealing with the customers.

Not maid outfits, Japanese schoolgirl outfits. :evilgrin:

Seriously while I'd sell 40K, WHFB, a good selection of historical miniatures and rules, some RPG rules and figures, I'd also sell radio-controlled airplanes, cars, and boats. That's really where the money is in the hobby business.

viking657
16-03-2010, 21:20
Lol I forgot about the importance of dust collecting! I stand corrected a small LOTR section would be a must to prevent the marines from getting dirty

The pestilent 1
16-03-2010, 21:45
Capacitors and generators fuelled by Nerd rage.

Unstoppable I tell yeh

mafty
16-03-2010, 22:13
yea i figured selling things that "sell quickly" was the ideal route lol........maybe Canada is different than the US, hobbies are just as popular than ever up here, the GW I goto has 8 tables and you have to wait to get a table on thursday nights EVERY week. Its very busy up here. Where I would plan to open it also doesnt have a GW or any competing store for about 30-40 miles radius and the population is about 1 million people.......

Malorian
16-03-2010, 22:15
Small hard candy weapons.

(Goes well with the icecream babies.)

MadHatter
16-03-2010, 22:57
If you are seriously considering opening a game store, I would recommend staying away for prepared foods, as this service may require lic. and have constant inspectors in your way. Not to mention high potential for law suites from someone crying food poisoning. Soda pop and candy bars/bag of chips not bad. however be prepared to clean up a mess.

Renting tables is bad idea, as most people feel that if they spend money in your shop you should provide them a place to play. And to be fair, it does help to promote sales if there is a couple of people playing games in the back so the potential customers can see what they are looking at.

Instead of renting them set days with priorties. Friday is magic night sunday is pokimon for the kids. And saturday for mini's. organize events and get people to sign up for them. promote sales during the events.

Get the local gaming community involved in store activities, make them feel like it is as much thier space as it is yours. Also be prepared to work long hours and the store alone for the first few years.

Bunnahabhain
16-03-2010, 23:37
Time, energy, and willpower to finish that painting.

Now, where you find suppliers for those is up to you...

massey
16-03-2010, 23:40
I'd also cater to people who start hobbies like 40K with discount box sets. From talking to our local store owner, I believe he pays about 40% for GW stuff. So a box that is $50 costs him $20 wholesale. Price a "beginner's set" to suck people in.

For instance, somebody new walks into the store, sees people playing 40K. They're gonna ask about the game. You give them a quick rundown (30 seconds or less), show them the game tables, tell them how often people play, invite them to come in and use a store army sometime. Then show them the beginners set. "Want to start Space Marines? We have a store special." One Assault on Black Reach box, one Space Marine Battleforce, and a codex. All you need to play the game for $150. US retail on that would be about $195, but you'll still make a profit on the deal, and it sucks them into the hobby more thoroughly than if you just sold them one thing. You might even work out a couple of 1000 point starter armies for around that price range. Something moderately competitive, not too expensive. Those starter sets could even be the store armies that you let people try out. "You have fun with the store's Eldar army? You can buy that exact army right here with our Eldar starter set."

If they have fun, they'll buy more stuff.

Above all, keep the store clean. You'll have moms bringing in their kids. You don't want mom to go to use the bathroom and find a dirty magazine sitting there by the sink. Or suggestive pictures of Supergirl right beside the toilet. Focus on keeping it family friendly, so that means gamers have to watch their mouths when kids are in the store. This is not a man cave, it's a place of business.

Son of the Lion
16-03-2010, 23:41
I'd like to run a Gaming shop combined with a Haberdashery - I could sell geeky themed Hats and scarves.

No pants though.

IncrediSteve
17-03-2010, 00:49
I've mostly decided that opening a gamestore will be my "retirement" a good few decades from now. I've no delusions of it being profitable, just so long as it pays for itself I'm content.

Multiple gaming tables, MtG and other CCGs, as much of the GW range as I have room for, Flames of War, whatever is popular at the time really. An equipped LAN room and vending are also a must.

Lord of Worms
17-03-2010, 02:26
Anyone had any experience with a store that had tables you could book and pay per hour? Most stores have games nights but aren't usually set up for you to just rock up and play. I know you could go to a gw store but then you'd be at a gw store with red shirt types.

It's better if you offer "memberships".

TheDarkDuke
17-03-2010, 02:37
Adult videos, booze, candy and umm ya... go with what works EVERY WHERE!

In terms of a hobby store, its pretty standard at well run ones to dabble in a bit of the big stuff. Comics/Graphic Novels, Cards, Games Workshop and Anime. After that it depends on the market. There would appear to be enough of a market for my local retailer to be looking into a distributer for Warmachine at least.

Edit: Wow I can't believe I wasted my 1000th post with so much sinful comments to start it off...lol.

mafty
17-03-2010, 04:11
ya I have no intention of offer "pay for tables" I think thats silly and will drive people away. gaming will always be free.

I like the idea of a starter set, that would be a nice way to get people into both 40k and fantasy.

Kind of hard to know what the community wants without actually having a store yet.....more interested in what would be ideal things to look into if I were to open one. And it seems like CCG (which i figured anyways), 40k, fantasy, rpg board games, possible anime/action figures, maybe comics/graphic novels, and maybe some other tabletop games like flames of war, hordes/warmachine

MadHatter
17-03-2010, 04:21
ya I have no intention of offer "pay for tables" I think thats silly and will drive people away. gaming will always be free.

I like the idea of a starter set, that would be a nice way to get people into both 40k and fantasy.

Kind of hard to know what the community wants without actually having a store yet.....more interested in what would be ideal things to look into if I were to open one. And it seems like CCG (which i figured anyways), 40k, fantasy, rpg board games, possible anime/action figures, maybe comics/graphic novels, and maybe some other tabletop games like flames of war, hordes/warmachine

Whatever you pay for GW products is double what they charge the retailer. Most others are 60% of what you pay.
I would start out with what you want to see in your store. What do you play? If you are big into 40K you are likly going to have lots of 40k players interacting with you more then fantasy. You will be the idol of all the kids and most of the adults. So Participate n all your major product line. If you want to sell anime have it playing on a tv somewhere. If your big into flames of war, then play that.

duffybear1988
17-03-2010, 04:23
maybe stock a few of the smaller wargames such as anima tactics, as well as things like mageknight for those people who cant play real wargames :D

The Ginger Ninja
17-03-2010, 04:25
Guns. Chainsaws. 40k.
Do I need to say anymore?

massey
17-03-2010, 06:38
Of course, in time, the "in" thing will change. Who would have thought 20 years ago that ccgs would sell? If you're talking about the future, no one really knows what will be popular at that time.

Griffindale
17-03-2010, 07:29
lol someone in this thread gave me an idea. I'm going to patent it. Staff your store with gorgeous women and have them constantly dress in some form of cosplay. Hell if we could serve food and have them wait tables they could make a killing!

Patent pending...

Escaflowne_Z
17-03-2010, 10:29
No matter what you offer, do not skimp on terrain for your gaming tables. Pet stores sell it on the cheap, or that recycled rubber terrain is excellent as well. War Torn Worlds is the company.

Also, depending on the demographics of your area, Battletech is also a game that is very different from 40k/Fantasy that is having a resurgence in the last few years. Also, it only takes up a small area to stock it or play it.

The Marshel
17-03-2010, 10:47
I'd actually want to have a heavy focus on terrain building supplies. ranging from the normal stuff like modeling sand and flocks, to installation foam, balsa, wood, polyfillers, the lot!

duffybear1988
17-03-2010, 11:44
lol someone in this thread gave me an idea. I'm going to patent it. Staff your store with gorgeous women and have them constantly dress in some form of cosplay. Hell if we could serve food and have them wait tables they could make a killing!

Patent pending...

In Japan they have these anime themed cafes where only young attractive girls are allowed to work and they are hotbeds for 'geeks' like us... They are specifically designed with us in mind and they dress up in maids outfits, school uniforms etc.

When I die I hope heaven is like that, only with a few huge monsters and a gun/sword or 2 so that the waitresses can show their gratitude when I slay the monsters :D

Culven
17-03-2010, 14:57
Another option with anime is to have it available for rental. One of my local stores does this and seems to have decent sales associated with it. The main advantage would be that customers can preview a new series and buy it if they like it. If not, they are just out the rental fee and they can try something else. It seems to help sales expand when customers can explore the genre and find what they really like.