PDA

View Full Version : Will GW honor Indy Chaos Dwarfs at Vegas?

Phytrion
16-03-2010, 20:40
Hey all,

For fun on my blog I'm tracking how armies do on the North American GT circuit (here: http://www.morningsomewhere.com/bugeater/?p=40) and something interesting came up:

In the early tournament reports, a chaos dwarf player placed second at one of the tournaments (The Conflict GT). My question is this: was this Chaos Dwarf army the Indy GT codex that was produced recently, and if so will GW allow it at the tournament in Vegas? If they *do* allow it, does that open the flood gates for future player made army books?

BigbyWolf
16-03-2010, 20:43
Hey all,

For fun on my blog I'm tracking how armies do on the North American GT circuit (here: http://www.morningsomewhere.com/bugeater/?p=40) and something interesting came up:

In the early tournament reports, a chaos dwarf player placed second at one of the tournaments (The Conflict GT). My question is this: was this Chaos Dwarf army the Indy GT codex that was produced recently, and if so will GW allow it at the tournament in Vegas? If they *do* allow it, does that open the flood gates for future player made army books?

Not being 100% certain, but I think it would have been the Indy book, and I don't think it's GW legal.

Thommy H
16-03-2010, 21:11
It was indeed an army from the Indy GT book (see here (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6925)). Given that Conflict is an independent tournament, and that's exactly the stage on which the Indy GT book was intended to be showcased (clue's in the name!), don't expect it to be adopted by an official GW tournament no matter how successful it is.

sulla
16-03-2010, 21:13
My question is this: was this Chaos Dwarf army the Indy GT codex that was produced recently?Why would they? Can't see it happening myself, even though they have repeatedly voiced exasperation at players not making their own rules...

Phytrion
16-03-2010, 21:15
It was indeed an army from the Indy GT book (see here (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6925)). Given that Conflict is an independent tournament, and that's exactly the stage on which the Indy GT book was intended to be showcased (clue's in the name!), don't expect it to be adopted by an official GW tournament no matter how successful it is.

So what is that guy going to do? He earned a bid to the Vegas tournament, will he just have to take another army?

Condottiere
16-03-2010, 21:18
Seems unlikely, since it would set a precedent in regards to a non-GW Army Book.

Thommy H
16-03-2010, 21:54
So what is that guy going to do? He earned a bid to the Vegas tournament, will he just have to take another army?

Use Ravening Hordes? Counts-as Dwarfs? I don't know really, but it's his own fault for taking a non-GW army in the first place.

Urgat
16-03-2010, 22:15
His own fault? I doubt he regrets it, why should he?

Thommy H
16-03-2010, 22:24
I didn't say he should regret it, just that if it causes a problem, it's of his own doing. I actually have a credit in the Dwarfs of Chaos book, so believe me when I say I'm no hater ;)

Malorian
16-03-2010, 23:02
I wouldn't think that it would be allowed and I think it would be very dangerous for GW to allow it.

He should be happy they let him use that list when he did but if he goes to Vegas he needs to use an official GW army.

Commodus Leitdorf
16-03-2010, 23:23
He'll probably use another army or just use the Ravening Hordes list. The Indy book is just what it is...an Indy book.

As much as I would love GW to just take the thing, slap GW approved sticker on it and print it in a White Dwarf as "official"...I highly doubt it's going to happen.

Edit: And I still think his army looks like someone puked those chalky heart candies all over it

catbarf
17-03-2010, 01:05
The Ravening Hordes rules are still legal, why not just use them?

Ultimate Life Form
17-03-2010, 01:12
As much as I would love GW to just take the thing, slap GW approved sticker on it and print it in a White Dwarf as "official"...I highly doubt it's going to happen.

The abysmal artwork would be prohibitive. It even tops John Blanche in this regard (happy JB derailing everyone).

Then again, it is not unheard of (really...... ?!? :rolleyes:) for GW to just take someone else's book, slap a property of GW sticker on it and send it off to the printing machines, so I hope they copyrighted it somehow or something, lest they did the work for free while someone else reaps the rewards.

Sygerrik
17-03-2010, 01:17
Chaos Dwarves are regularly allowed in GW tournaments using Ravening Hordes rules. My guess is that he will simply have to use that list, or another army. Sucks, but as people have said, it really sets a bad precedent. What if someone wants to take Nauticans to a GT next?

Phytrion
17-03-2010, 05:37
I'm not supporting the idea of GW allowing the list, I guess I'm just raising the issue since GW decided to abandon running their own GT circuit for independently run tournaments (which I have no problem with), but the Indy GT guys have come together with an army book for an army that has a strong following but has had no attention from GW.

riotknight
17-03-2010, 05:56
I'm not supporting the idea of GW allowing the list, I guess I'm just raising the issue since GW decided to abandon running their own GT circuit for independently run tournaments (which I have no problem with), but the Indy GT guys have come together with an army book for an army that has a strong following but has had no attention from GW.

I realize nothing has been said about FW's fantasy division, but I don't think they're being completely ignored anymore. Just a thought.

Condottiere
17-03-2010, 09:35
Question is how long would they require to bring out an official army book? Fandexes are the result of a perceived failure in an existing army book, an army that hasn't had one for the current edition or a new faction.

sulla
17-03-2010, 15:27
Chaos Dwarves are regularly allowed in GW tournaments using Ravening Hordes rules. My guess is that he will simply have to use that list, or another army. Sucks, but as people have said, it really sets a bad precedent. What if someone wants to take Nauticans to a GT next?

It doesn't set any sort of precedent. Tournaments should always list what army books are allowed to be used. If they don't want an army, don't allow that book to be used.

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-03-2010, 15:46
But why would GW allow a non-GW product at there event? They got no reason to do that.

Grey Mage
17-03-2010, 15:56
But why would GW allow a non-GW product at there event? They got no reason to do that.

Yes they do in fact.

1) He still needs to use GW models. Those are their products.
2) Good will. The community would smile upon this. They in turn could make sure it was known that they were doing it as a favor the CD players, who have mostly been left out in the cold for years and years. People happier with the company they buy things with means they are more likely to continue to buy things from them.
3) PROFIT!

Arjuna
17-03-2010, 18:19
There is no chance whatsoever that the independent chaos dwarf book will be legal at the GW event in vegas. Never happen, anyone who thinks there is the faintest glimmer of a hope otherwise simply has no real understanding of how GW operates its business.

cornixt
18-03-2010, 01:17
I realize nothing has been said about FW's fantasy division, but I don't think they're being completely ignored anymore. Just a thought.

Until we see pics of the models or a statement fro GW or FW, it's not good enough.

To respond to the main thread question, the way that GW is selecting participants is odd in itself. I bet most of the tournaments have some for of house rules used, from composition to scenarios. It might not be as significant as an entire army list, but it is still not solely GW published rules.

honorandglory
18-03-2010, 23:05
What is a little more interesting is what happens to people that have non GW models in their Indy GT army. Will they be made to buy GW models? Even if this destroys their theme. Or can they compete with the non GW models?

Devil Tree
19-03-2010, 05:18
Don't they have some general guidelines were a certain percentage of any given model has to be from GW?

Slacker
19-03-2010, 09:11
Somewhat knowing the guy in question, I believe he'll be bringing his Vamps to Vegas. It actually was a brief kerfluffle in the Northeast community here when he won with them, couple people tried to pull the 'they're not real' card, which fell flat when the obvious counter-GW knew the tourney's rules ahead of time and didn't do anything-and they could suck it up.