PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see, outside of armies?

Inquisitor Kallus
17-03-2010, 01:52
Scenery, books, gaming themes/supplements, board/box games, gaming aids? If you could choose anything and Games Workshop were to make it, what would you like to see? And, if possible gives reasons as to why....

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with and will post my own fairly soon

SandQueen
17-03-2010, 01:56
Alien terrain.

We've got Imperial building kits. Hab blocks, churches, landing pads, all kinds of stuff. Why not some Necron stuff? Maybe some curvy eldar buildings or Tau stuff?

Inquisitor Kallus
17-03-2010, 02:11
Sounds cool. And on that train of thought, i'd love to see some 'special' dice. With designs/styles for different armys. And taking that further some kind of 'command console' for different races like in the old Space Crusade. Keeps track of wounds, army list missions etc

Voss
17-03-2010, 02:21
Alien terrain would be nice, but, honestly I want GW to step up and finish the remaining old books before they do anything else. Dark Eldar, Necrons and announcing some sort of decision on the Inquisition books should come before anything else at this stage.

The kitschy junk can all wait.

TheDarkDuke
17-03-2010, 02:26
I'd much rather see the time and resources go into the actual model range to be honest. I'd really like to see a show case book released with outstanding painting and conversions from the studio/employees/games days. One of the things that gives me the most inspiration to get back to the modelling/painting desk is seeing others work and taking inspiration from it.

Im sure there will a ton of collector model wishes such as the certain power armoured leaders as something "outside" of armies for releases.

MEPHISTONSRAGE
17-03-2010, 03:12
I would like for them to release new Codexes, for the armies that haven't been redone as of yet. I would also like to see more character models. Of NEW Characters.
Each race has its own heroes. so make them and add to the current pantheons.
Terrain would be nice, but Books and Models that should go with them.

Inquisitor Kallus
17-03-2010, 03:24
Ok, maybe I should rephrasr this,........what apart from 'army' miniatures and 'army' codexes

Occulto
17-03-2010, 03:29
Non gaming related stuff. Posters, mugs, stickers - that sort of thing.

Project2501
17-03-2010, 03:55
The return of bitz!

SandQueen
17-03-2010, 04:01
Ok, maybe I should rephrasr this,........what apart from 'army' miniatures and 'army' codexes

Shirts.

I've seen some of the Gamesday shirts and they're ok but I'm talking army specific clothing. I would love a polo with maybe an Eldar insignia on it or something.

In fact I'm fairly sure that most people would dig a collared shirt, something respectable, with their army insignia. In some cases it could be humorous. Like with an eight pointed star or a symbol of gork or mork.

Casualwear would be fine too especially if it was actually made in women's sizes. Maybe a tank top or more feminine cut t-shirt? I'm sorry but the current generic fittings for Games Day and GT shirts are very unappealing from a woman's standpoint.

MadHatter
17-03-2010, 04:10
Shirts.

I've seen some of the Gamesday shirts and they're ok but I'm talking army specific clothing. I would love a polo with maybe an Eldar insignia on it or something.

In fact I'm fairly sure that most people would dig a collared shirt, something respectable, with their army insignia. In some cases it could be humorous. Like with an eight pointed star or a symbol of gork or mork.

Casualwear would be fine too especially if it was actually made in women's sizes. Maybe a tank top or more feminine cut t-shirt? I'm sorry but the current generic fittings for Games Day and GT shirts are very unappealing from a woman's standpoint.

I have two Rogue Trader Shirts and would love to get some shirts as well.
I also like the Alien terrain as well. Sorry its a minature toy maker and I want them to make things for my gaming tables.

The Ginger Ninja
17-03-2010, 04:31
I would like to see Dark Eldar. Oh wait, thats an army :shifty:

Shirts.

I wish they would do this, I would definitely buy a few

Troah
17-03-2010, 04:49
Real Tau battle armor!
Real Dark Eldar Archon armor!
Posters of dead Space Marines! Lots of 'em! :D
Oh and maybe some kind of short 40k anime. Nothing too fancy, and NOT a live action film because that would be too short, so a short anime series would be perfect. Focusing around the life of an Imperial Guardsman.

=D

Firaxin
17-03-2010, 05:55
...I've thought about it for about ten minutes and decided I don't actually want the BL to publish any more books or GW to do anything because I don't trust them not to screw it up.
:angel:

DEADMARSH
17-03-2010, 05:57
The shirts thing really is a head scratcher. GW holds the IP rights to all these cool symbols and don't do jack with them. Senseless.

I managed to grab one of the tan Harakoni Helldivers shirts at the Chicago GamesDay 2006. Still wear it quite a bit. Would buy another one for sure as it's starting to get a bit worn out now.

They'd need to be careful with it though- printing up a bunch of "WAAAGH!" shirts in 40 point font is going to have a somewhat limited appeal. No offense to the Ork players, but the thing I liked the most about the Helldiver shirt is it isn't super obviously 40k, y'know? The front has the lightning bolt in the ring with the words Harakoni Helldivers around it. The back is a reference to Big Game 2006. There's a Guard skull on one sleeve and 31st on the other. That's it. No massive 40k logo or GW imprint. In short, it's a shirt they were giving away, but I would have gladly paid $20 for it.

In short, would I buy a shirt that had a massive 40k logo on it? No. Would I buy a shirt with codex cover artwork on it? No again. But a shirt with the Cadia symbol on it? Sure. A crux terminatus? Probably. Heck, I'm not an Eldar player, but some of their craftworld symbols are cool and if I did play them, I'd buy a shirt with a craftworld symbol on it. Tau Septs, stuff like that. Relatively subtle in that it isn't a "LOOK AT ME! I'M A 40K PLAYER" kind of thing.

That being said, I'm a 36 year old married guy with a kid on the way. I'm decidedly not the target market and don't mean to sound like I'm hating on anybody who would proudly sport a Codex Dark Eldar shirt. If you dig it, more power to ya.

Firaxin
17-03-2010, 06:11
I agree with you Deadmarsh. I think GW will find that in their target market of Middle-High school kids, where peer pressure can be enormous than other stages of life, people are more likely to purchase/wear the more subtle designs than openly declare themselves a nerd or whatever.

SandQueen
17-03-2010, 06:21
I agree with you Deadmarsh. I think GW will find that in their target market of Middle-High school kids, where peer pressure can be enormous than other stages of life, people are more likely to purchase/wear the more subtle designs than openly declare themselves a nerd or whatever.

and if they want to garish it up then they can. I'd be cool with some cute yoga pants that said Eldanesh or had an Aquila in place of the word "Juicy" across the tush. I think it would be fun. Maybe do track jackets like Atari or Nintendo? There are numerous possibilities that dont have to be totally out there.

destroyerlord
17-03-2010, 06:29
I totally agree on all counts. And this is probably why GW won't bother doing non-wargaming accessories.
Xenos terrain would be cool (the ork barricades were a bolt from the blue and are actually pretty cool).
@Inquisitor Kallus, GW do make special dice for different armies, but they are usually limited release gifts from GW Direct when a new army is released. I'm pretty sure they did dice for both Skaven and Beastmen, not sure about 40k though.
@Troah, They are making an animated direct-to-DVD film called Ultramarines. Not sure on the release date, but you should look it up.

Griffindale
17-03-2010, 06:30
and if they want to garish it up then they can. I'd be cool with some cute yoga pants that said Eldanesh or had an Aquila in place of the word "Juicy" across the tush. I think it would be fun. Maybe do track jackets like Atari or Nintendo? There are numerous possibilities that dont have to be totally out there.

Ok, the aquila on the shorts is funny, and it sounds a little hot.

Is a better and larger community of gamers a possible answer? Maybe some with more familiarity with soap and personal hygiene. Maybe some people that place somewhere between the poles of superscrawny dude with greasy hair and morbidly obeast dude with bad smell.

But, if that can't happen, I guess I would buy some Space Marine merchandise...

Troah
17-03-2010, 06:44
@Troah, They are making an animated direct-to-DVD film called Ultramarines. Not sure on the release date, but you should look it up.

Eh....If it's about Space Marines I think I'll pass. In my opinion Space Marines are becoming more overrated then Halo and Twilight added together.

Griffindale
17-03-2010, 06:48
Eh....If it's about Space Marines I think I'll pass. In my opinion Space Marines are becoming more overrated then Halo and Twilight added together.

O god, I just got the picture in my head of Master Chief taking off his helmet and it was Edward. :yuck: Then cortana appeared and ofcourse, Bella.

Project2501
17-03-2010, 06:48
Maybe it's the old age, but aside from shirts, I swear GW or FW used to sell keychains and patches and such years ago.

Griffindale
17-03-2010, 06:52
Maybe it's the old age, but aside from shirts, I swear GW or FW used to sell keychains and patches and such years ago.

Yeah, I've seen a Sanguinius keychain on Ebay from time to time. It was made by another company, I guess a subsidiary of one of the two or something like that. I think it was called BattleGear or something.

GrogDaTyrant
17-03-2010, 07:01
To either stop the silly mantra against variant army-list themes (such as the Chaos Legions, Ork Clans, Craftworlds, IG Regiments, etc.), or to stop making entire codices for every chapter of marines. Since the latter isn't likely to happen... I'm willing to settle for PDF articles to satisfy the first.

Occulto
17-03-2010, 07:17
Yeah, I've seen a Sanguinius keychain on Ebay from time to time. It was made by another company, I guess a subsidiary of one of the two or something like that. I think it was called BattleGear or something.

Bulldog Battlegear.

I've got a Crux Terminatus pendant.

Project2501
17-03-2010, 07:18

BattleGear! You know what? I think you're right, that was it.

Edit: Ninja'd :p

Shadowheart
17-03-2010, 08:05
I'd like to see some high-end collectables. I'm partial to busts myself, but some statues could do too. The Space Marines they did were crap. It would have to be unique sculpts, artist interpretations of 40K rather than bigger versions of the miniatures. They could even do some 'replica' weapons or artefacts for display.

Posters and t-shirts seems like a no-brainer, but GW's very reluctant in that department.

Also, I'd love to see GW and/or Forgeworld do a range of civilian miniatures. Well, as civilian as 40K gets, anyway.

xerxeshavelock
17-03-2010, 08:19
Civilian vehicles and figures, for roleplaying, special scenarios etc.

ICEMANQ
17-03-2010, 08:28
Things like Duraseal/Coversoft/whatever its called in your country (you know, the stuff that school kids cover their books with - adhesive that will have Spongebob pictures all over it or whatever) with Games Workshop related stuff on it. Stationery, mugs, t shirts, Moleskine made books with aquila's on them (Call them army list books or something), more dice, dice bags, more bags, key chains, everything. I personally think if they made some GW related school materials they might make a bit more moolah/get some kiddies in.

Voss
17-03-2010, 08:37

I'm quite serious when I say they should not be doing anything else until they get the old armies redone. I know you're asking for other things, but nothing should be taking away resources from fully functional 5th edition lists for everyone. Thats what the game runs on, thats what should be done.

AndrewGPaul
17-03-2010, 09:37
I'd like to see some high-end collectables. I'm partial to busts myself, but some statues could do too. The Space Marines they did were crap. It would have to be unique sculpts, artist interpretations of 40K rather than bigger versions of the miniatures. They could even do some 'replica' weapons or artefacts for display.

Posters and t-shirts seems like a no-brainer, but GW's very reluctant in that department.

Also, I'd love to see GW and/or Forgeworld do a range of civilian miniatures. Well, as civilian as 40K gets, anyway.

Forgeworld used to do busts - an Orc, a askaven and a Space Wolf in Terminator armour are three I remember. There were also quite a few large-scale figures. There used to be quite a range of replica weapons - I saw an ad for Tyrion's Sunfang in a n old White Dwarf!. I can only assume that they didn't sell well enough to bother with. Same goes for T-shirts, as there used to be loads about 15 years ago - I wore my Escher logo T-shirt till it wore holes.

Civilian miniatures is a good idea, and a bit of a missed opportunity. They could have gone up as direct-only minis, likke the Imperial Guard tank crew, and there's a couple of "rescue/capture/protect/eat the civilians" missions in Battle Missions that could have been used to cross-promote them.

VonManstein
17-03-2010, 09:38
Hmmm I'm not too demanding, as long as I can game I'm okay. Cheaper suitcases? :P

Petay1985
17-03-2010, 09:44
Make all of the artwork available as prints for sale

Crovax20
17-03-2010, 09:58
Xenos scenery. Imho they could make an Ork upgrade sprue to use on imperial buildings, or just Orkified buildings. Necrontyr, Eldar and Tau scenery would be welcome as well.

Lord_Of_Bats
17-03-2010, 10:07
Make all of the artwork available as prints for sale

THIS!

Black Library is apparently doing print on demand soon (Xenology please), i'd love GW to do posters like that, especially of old pics too! Considering that old fantastic Adepus Titanicus art, Space Hulk art, the awesome colour piece of the Genestealer Cult, the techpriests standing beside a specimen tank containing a tyranid head, the dissected Hormagaunt, the awesome Marine Standard Bearer artwork....

Ozeor
17-03-2010, 10:07
a new 6th FOC to really really shake things up

Inquisitor Kallus
17-03-2010, 12:10
I'm quite serious when I say they should not be doing anything else until they get the old armies redone. I know you're asking for other things, but nothing should be taking away resources from fully functional 5th edition lists for everyone. Thats what the game runs on, thats what should be done.

I'm not asking what SHOULD or SHOULD'NT be done, and i'm not talking about armies being re-done, there are enough threads on that subject for you to comment on. The point of this thread is to get an idea of the kind of things people would like to see 'outside' of armies. Thinking outside the box as it were.

I would love to see Warhammer Quest make a return as it was simply one of the most entertaining offshoots of WFB i've ever played and had some amazing 'moments'. I'd also like to see Man 'O War updated, and possibly reprints/PDFs of Battle for Armageddon. (Forgot I was in 40k discussion for a second)

Anyone see the General's Compendium for WFB? Imagine a 40K version with in depth kill team rules, ideas for linking Bfg, Epic 40k and Aeronautica Imperialis together. Cool pictures of non-standard 'armies', different missions such as boarding actions (like the close quaters PDF on GWs website), Jetbike/skimmer/rolling terrain combats, and more besides.

Hunger
17-03-2010, 12:29
I would like GW to make a complete personal hygiene kit which includes branded GW soap-bars, shower gel and shampoo together with pictoral instructions similar to those found in the tank kits. The whole lot would be supplied in a 50 metal tin with the word 'EXTERMINATUS' on it, so that it became a must-have item, meaning the stinking fatsos at my local shop would certainly purchase it.

Ironhand
17-03-2010, 12:41
First, Xenos Terrain, at least one piece for each race.

Second, a 40K campaign book on the order of the General' Compendium

Jagged
17-03-2010, 14:03
The return of bitz!

In a way it is. With the slow and relentless (see what I did there?) progress towards plastic they do appear to be willing to see sprues where appropriate.

But more would be nice :) For example I was disappointed to see that the Kan weapons were not collected onto one sprue. In fact they look like they have been designed so they can sell single kanz :(

MarshallSam
17-03-2010, 14:30
I would love to see a set of the 18 Pre-Heresy Primarchs. No rules just something to paint and collect. Actually I think this should be done by FW, cause they do a much better job on the details.

sprugly
17-03-2010, 14:33
a deck of strategy cards. I used to love these in 2nd and though the strategems kinda fill the void i'd like to see a proper deck of 40k strategy cards for optional use with a normal game.

make 52 of them and usable as normal playing cards to.

sprugly

jt.glass
17-03-2010, 14:46
a new 6th FOC to really really shake things upAny thoughts on how? Care to add them to this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249245) if you have?

jt.

Doppleskanger
17-03-2010, 15:09
No, what they should do is form a record label and release second rate heavy metal records. Oh hang on.....

redesign the foam insets for the carry cases, so they hold more models, and make model specific sets of foam, to hold particular models. I do know other companies do this stuff btw, its just there is a convenience to picking stuff up off the shelf rather than online.

A reprint of Rouge Trader to go with the next rule book in a special edition. Only because the binding on the original was terrible and all of my pages have fallen out. Still a damn good read though.

Starchild
17-03-2010, 15:15
I'd like to see GW release a book for designing your own scenarios. ;)

Archon Varaleq
17-03-2010, 15:37
more fluffy things to paint! I want to see some of the old aspect warriors from the eldar lore brought up into models!

Inquisitor Kallus
17-03-2010, 18:54
more fluffy things to paint! I want to see some of the old aspect warriors from the eldar lore brought up into models!

For a second there i thought you were going to start talking about Chaos bunnies or something..... *takes finger away from big red button which releases 10 score arco-flagellants into the local vicinty*

Hrw-Amen
17-03-2010, 19:22
If it has to be scenary then yes some alien stuff.

Other than that some sort of source material, maybe another chapter approved, or as has been mentioned a 40K Generals compendium.

I'd also like more of the BL books on audio as it is something to listen to in the car. Having said that though I am not overly impressed with the ones they have done so far, but maybe if they cut back the over the top background effects.

I would also like shirts, T-***** etc, but subtle as other have said, nothing to in your face 40K nerd, just a symbol or something.

Also I would quite like another first person shooter game of a similar line to Firewarrior, maybe one that enabled you to play one of several races though.

Lord of Worms
17-03-2010, 19:24
I would like to see the release schedule of rules development not be dictated by miniatures releases.

Easy E
17-03-2010, 20:00
Another World-Wide Internet Campaign?

Black Gobbo (before it became a mini-White dwarf)?

SandQueen
17-03-2010, 20:02

I would love this. Ive heard about some of the previous ones (Eye of Terror and Medusa 5) and would really like to experience it myself

Project2501
17-03-2010, 20:47
I would love this. Ive heard about some of the previous ones (Eye of Terror and Medusa 5) and would really like to experience it myself

I too would like another MedusaV/13thBlackCrusade -BUT- only if GW actually incorporated the results of the event into the fluff.

I know about 11 good people that stopped playing after the 13th Black Crusade because of GW going back on their word which left a really foul taste in our mouths.

MadHatter
17-03-2010, 21:19

Black Gobbo (before it became a mini-White dwarf)?

Me too for both.
I enjoyed the campaign though i realize whatever the result nothing is gonna happen to GW story. But it still was fun.

Black Gobbo used to have such great articles.

From Shadows
17-03-2010, 21:23
Return of Chapter Approved books, also return of the Index Astartes books.

Firaxin
17-03-2010, 22:18
I would love a World-Wide Internet campaign if it was closer to the EoT than Medusa V.

ie; something more important than a single practically nameless world that has no impact on anything, with more freedom (so players aren't stuck only fighting battles in territories relegated to the countries they're from. Like, I really wish I could have fought battles in Medusa V's capital hive city of Euryales, or for the planet's spaceport of Demios, so as many Imperials as possible could escape. But no, I was stuck fighting to control the strip mines on a planet that we knew was going to be lost to the warp no matter what we did...), and more in depth strategy (ie, the results happening in one region affect things during the campaign rather than just after it, like the domino effect in the EoT campaign).

My recommendation? Operation: Iron Hammer. Revealed in the latest Tyranid codex to be the largest Imperial crusade against the Tau to date. Spanning several systems, it would include planetary engagements and space zones.

For once, the Imperium would be on the attack. An added bonus is GW doesn't have to come up with a stupid reason for why Tau are present. You'd have Orks from the Waagh against the Farsight enclave. Necrons would appear from the artefact worlds, like 'Q-15,' Landfall, or even Arthas Moloch. Chaos, which would benefit from cutting the Crusade off from the rest of the Imperium by attacking from behind, is right next door in the Maelstrom. Hive Fleet Colossus is incoming from the opposite direction. The Eldar would come to fight chaos and prevent the Necrons from capturing too many Tau and somehow learning to utilize their low-warp signatures. Dark Eldar would be... pillaging and stuff.

[I suppose the most natural fault lines would then be Imperials, Necrons, Tyranids, and Orks, vs Tau, Eldar, Chaos, Kroot, Demiurg, and Dark Eldar. A pleasing change to the typical 'Order vs Chaos' which really goes to show how no one in 40k is the good guy.]

The Tau Empire would never be in any real danger, of course, because GW wouldn't let one of their better-selling armies go the way of the dodo. But realistic outcomes of the campaign could be (depending on who wins) that the crusade is shattered and the newly mobilized Tau are ready to surge out in a new expansion phase into the Imperium's unprotected belly, or the Imperium drives the Tau back into their 3rd or 2nd spheres of expansion, giving them a really solid beating for once and enlightening the fishcow-commies (i know they're not commies) as to the true power of the Imperium/frighteningness of the galaxy.

Other ways GW could capitalize on this venture would be to realize rules for standalone Kroot and Demiurg armies, similar to how they did the LatD...

TimLeeson
18-03-2010, 00:13
An Epic game set in the war in heaven with Necrons, Old Ones and their allies and Enslavers. Done like the LOTR "Battle of 5 armies" sort of thing.

Coasty
18-03-2010, 20:58
Oh and maybe some kind of short 40k anime. Nothing too fancy, and NOT a live action film because that would be too short, so a short anime series would be perfect. Focusing around the life of an Imperial Guardsman.

=D

Excuse me a moment...

DEATH TO ANIME!!! KILL! MAIM! BURN THE SPIKY-HAIRED, BUG-EYED FREAKS!

Ok, carry on.

Troah
18-03-2010, 21:05
Excuse me a moment...

DEATH TO ANIME!!! KILL! MAIM! BURN THE SPIKY-HAIRED, BUG-EYED FREAKS!

Ok, carry on.

Very mature...

ctsteel
18-03-2010, 22:16
a deck of strategy cards. I used to love these in 2nd and though the strategems kinda fill the void i'd like to see a proper deck of 40k strategy cards for optional use with a normal game.

make 52 of them and usable as normal playing cards to.

sprugly

Doing this as the Emperor's Tarot would be very fluffy and interesting.

Dangersaurus
18-03-2010, 22:59
Bling - strategy decks as per sprugly, strategic asset deck, counters, special effects tokens, etc.

Allies supplement - A book of mercenaries and allies for all armies. Not just rules on mixing, but new units across the board.

Chapter Approved - Both in White Dwarf and a semi-annual supplement. The only way to get new non-Apocalypse models out besides the glacially slow rotating codex system.

3rd Party White Dwarf - A little after WotC put out their 3rd edition of Dungeons and Dragons they ended up licensing out Dragon and Dungeon magazines. These were already failing, and only lasted five years, but what a fiery five years. Easily a high water mark in quality, thanks mainly to the enthusiasm of their fan-turned-pro editors and writers. If WD is doomed, this is the kind of doom it should strive towards.

Bonzai
18-03-2010, 23:35
I would love to see Xeno varients of all the planet strike pieces. Usefull for the suplement, and awesome as just terrain pieces as well.

LonelyPath
18-03-2010, 23:46
What I'd like to see...

The return of t-shirts
More varied scenery sets/pieces
Keychains
Bitz
More varied supplies fr scenery buouilding (like plasticard, etc)

Inquisitor Kallus
19-03-2010, 22:01
Emperors Tarot , Eldar 'Seer Runes', more boards for Realm of battle boards such as craters, rivers, roads, trenches, city tiles and the opportunity to buy individual tiles.

sabreu
19-03-2010, 22:05

But...but...they punch through tanks, and their high fives cause fatal shockwaves like the hulk!

Inquisitor Kallus
19-03-2010, 23:06
but...but...they punch through tanks, and their high fives cause fatal shockwaves like the hulk!

awr sommmmmmmmmmme!!

Sunfang
19-03-2010, 23:31
Um...

Suplement tieing in Gothic, Planet strike, and campaign materials that are surface tiles and function more as WFB Kingdoms, all tied in together. With that said a huge emphasis on "add your own content." I really think it would be perfect for a serious gaming group. Simply find someone out of the group that could write the narrative as you go.

Xeno terrain.

Minimal t-shirts, nothing screaming WAAAGH for instance...also messanger bags.

the ability to purchase full board layouts, albiet costly...

Doppleskanger
20-03-2010, 03:34
yeah trench lines cut into the realm of battle boards would be sweet.

Make the plastic cement the same as the revel stuff with the thin metal tube

SandQueen
20-03-2010, 03:38
Minimal t-shirts, nothing screaming WAAAGH for instance...also messanger bags.

I'd love a stylish messenger bag. More totes are always handy

Lord_Of_Bats
21-03-2010, 19:00
I would love to see Xeno varients of all the planet strike pieces. Usefull for the suplement, and awesome as just terrain pieces as well.

Indeed!

Also planetary empires expansion with additional forms of tiles and xenos buildings.

Army cases with a clear window in them and a removable inset 3d-relief army-logo piece with a troops head on it so you can clearly customise the case to make it much more identifiable as belonging to a particular person and themed with their army. Say having the word 'Tyranids' in a nice tyranidy font and awith snarling termagant head relief that i could paint in my armies colours so it will be clearly distinct from say my opponents eldar army. That adds customisation/personalisation and branding together in a very neat package! This idea i sooooooo want! You only need one sprue of army logos to come with the army case and the opportunity for a larger-size version of an army troop head to paint would be seriously cool!

Return of battlefleet gothic with some rules sprucing and plastic nautiloid tyranid ships with imperial ships in the main box as nautiloid ships make more sense and look vastly cooler and more tyranidy than any of the terrible tyrannid ship miniatures and frankly the biggest space battles in the imperium fluffwise have been vs tyranids and the main defeats of the hive fleets have in fact been ship-to-ship combats.

A book of short stories from Xenos perspectives, yes even Tyranids as we got some Tyranid perspectives in the Space Hulk novella and i think it's quite manageable in short story form at least, after all even instinctive animals make choices and there's plenty of personalised animal-view writing out there!

Army-loyalty Branding. I already have made earrings out of spare tyranid warrior heads and a bookmark too. I think people would love to be able to show off their preferred force with such things.

'Piles of corpses' terrain pieces of cheap troops like Termagants.

Plush Ripper sock-puppet and lifesize Genestealer skull and Termagant head trophy kits.

Pink Horror
21-03-2010, 19:53
Better licensing agreements, in general. They've gotten a little better with video games (Dawn of War), but they still weren't creative enough with Blood Bowl. They should let someone else pour over the IP and do hipster clothes. They should sell off toy licenses, movies, comics, many more video games, all kinds of merchandise. They should let other talented people figure out exactly what to do with all that IP instead of trying to micromanage everything. A movie about the space marines shouldn't be some direct-to-video cartoon, they should try to make a blockbuster. I think the problem is they would have to give up creative control and most of the profit, but it would grow the brand and be no work for them. Games Workshop could easily be Marvel if they had the vision to do it.

burad
21-03-2010, 19:54
An aquila belt buckle that's made out of harder metal so it doesn't break in half thru normal use.
Polo shirts with embroidered logos on them for the different forces/races.
Carrying cases better designed for the taller vehicles, like Ork trukks & battlewagons, that have things sticking out all over.
A music CD to play while gaming with themes from various races.

Archangel_Ruined
21-03-2010, 20:12
I'm sorry, nerd-wear? Seriously people? Music? From GW? Because that wont be awful. I mean, look at how they've revolutionised the world of publishing. Oh, wait...

GW should spend my money on developing the things I use, miniatures, cases, paints, rules and the such. Not on god awful fan fiction (although I imagine that this is funding itself these days, there really is no accounting for taste), naff music (I'm old enough to remember Bolt Thrower, they might be funny in an ironic way but not for those who had to live through it the first bloody time) or racks of dodgy clothing (this coming from somebody who does own two GW t-shirts, but I won them in tournaments so they weren't just taking up valuable retail space in a shop). I don't want them taking too big a part in making computer games, leave that to the programmers and just have the final say on plot and other fluffy things. A company should concentrate on their core business, if you dilute the brand with a bunch of naff spin offs things don't go so well. There are enough examples of this from other businesses.

tezdal
21-03-2010, 20:40
Uhh Battlefleet gothic!

War Angel
21-03-2010, 21:06
Scenery, books, gaming themes/supplements, board/box games, gaming aids? If you could choose anything and Games Workshop were to make it, what would you like to see? And, if possible gives reasons as to why....

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with and will post my own fairly soon
More story, art, scenery.

Story: Always a good idea. We have 40,000+ years to work with. More happened than the Horus Heresy,
Fall of Eldar, Orks and Tyranids.

Flesh out existing stuff. Like the Plague of Unbelief I saw in a White Dwarf that had a
Space Wolves campagin. I saw someone mention on a thread that Istvaan V should
have more. I was thinking earlier today they should go back a thousand years and
work with that. Or any other time.

Dante and Azrael as marines before they became chapter masters. Or the worlds they came from.

Azrael came from a world called Kimmeria. A feral world. Ok now tell me more. If that's in the
Dark Angels codex please forgive me I haven't read it.

Art: How could this be a bad thing. So much good stuff. Add more and there's more good stuff.

Alien terrain.
I second that. I look through White Dwarf and only see Imperial stuff. What about our Xenos friends.
They have worlds too. The Imperium hasn't conqueored it all...yet.

Shirts.

Another idea I second. I have Gamesday shirts and a couple necklaces. Dark Angels symbol and Angel of Vengence.
Also a keychain. How about more.

Maybe a tank top or more feminine cut t-shirt?
The problem with that is gamers would never stop staring at those that are wearing them. Not that they stop now.

Oh and maybe some kind of short 40k anime.
That would be great. Some sort of Tau human helpers. That way we could have English without it looking like
the aliens speak it all the time.

Deadalus
21-03-2010, 21:17
I would just like to see something that isn't a Space Marine or variant chapter for once. However we all now that won't happen.
I would also like to see white dwarf turn away from basically being a giant advert.

Doppleskanger
21-03-2010, 22:42
@Archangel_Ruined

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Rok_(band)

no, not a happy memory!

Inquisitor Kallus
21-03-2010, 23:18
Variant lists make a return such as Exodie Eldar, Snakebite Orks, LATD, Drop/Savlar Chem Dogs/Harakoni Warhawks/Tech Guard. Just think about it, metal hybrid packs (even tho theyre being moved away from) or plastic (i can dream) to convert your standard sets. These could be done on a very small scale and what could be cooler is an adversaries kit/mould one sprue with both 'good' and 'bad' guys on it which could save on production costs but specifically easy to 'snap' in half to package. White Dwarf articles to back them up, conversion guides,sample armys, army lists, battle rep, bitz sets.
E.g.

Eldar Exodites Vs Snakebite Orks
Adeptus Arbites Vs Lost and the Damned Cultists
Mutants Vs Ecclesiarchy

They could not only be used in smaller games such as kill team or combat patrol but also lead into bigger armys and not be a huge outlay in cost as most of the plastics are there for the armys.:D

shin'keiro
22-03-2010, 02:27
T-shirts (not just space marine ones!)
Pendants (not just space marine ones!)
Posters
Mugs
Alien scenery (Tyranid, Eldar, Tau, Necron etc)

Doppleskanger
22-03-2010, 03:09
a spray on base coat that really sticks to metall minis would be good?

bryne3
22-03-2010, 03:33
A real necron.:shifty: I would keep it, and call it borris. and it would be borris and i would be me. I wonder what necrons eat?

fisher368
22-03-2010, 08:42
Shirts.

that would be cool a nice clothing line

bitz yes we need bitz,(while yes you ultimaly get more by buying the model/squad but it cost more for one bit, like the assualt cannon for my drednought)

and yeah newer characters and models of said characters 40k and fantasy only though LotR you can only have so many

stickers=awsome

book on well painted models
1 would be huge would have stills of hundreds of thousands
2 couldnt get and entire army that would be a book altogether course they could split it up into the different armys for each section of the game

brightblade
22-03-2010, 10:49
I have two Rogue Trader Shirts and would love to get some shirts as well.

Further on merchandising. I had a long chat with one of the senior product guys at gamesday in Birmingham last year. Talking about copies of blueprints (for raiders and predators) that were on display there. The conversation drifted onto t shirts, other art, jackets and so on. He said that it just 'wasn't on their radar' as they were a 'games company not disney':wtf:

I pffft'd at him. Told him he was blind to a major money spinner for the company. Let's face it. Who wouldn't want nicely designed clothing. Nothing garish. Just cool stuff, like the t shirts from 'last exit to nowhere.com'

And mugs too..and underpants... and quilt covers.. and romper suits for babies...:shifty:

Ok. Got carried away. But other merchandise? Hell, yeah.:D

AndrewGPaul
22-03-2010, 11:57
I can only assume that clothing, accessories and replica weaponry wasn't profitable, given that they used to do all three, and now don't.

brightblade
22-03-2010, 12:06
There is certainly a critical mass point but surely some merchandise is possible and profitable? Even if just for short periods around, say, Christmas?

Jagged
22-03-2010, 12:23

I am not a fan of GW's Battle boards but their grass mat is really good and hard wearing. I wish they did a desert version. That would be really useful.

Promethius
22-03-2010, 12:54
My mini wishlist:

- a re-release of Battlefleet Gothic, with plastic ships. Seriously, the game is done (and is excellent, probably the best-designed gw have ever done) and you could probably fit a battleship, couple of cruisers and a handful of escorts on a sprue the size of a current tank kit. Smaller even. Marketed right, and for the right price, everyone could have a fleet to go with their army. God I love bfg.

- Primarch models. As collector pieces. Awesome. I'll chuck custodes in here as well.

- A space ship boarding action 40k supplement, with rules for fighting in zero-g, in airless environments etc. Not only would ship-to-ship boarding actions be awesome, but you could have random generators that add more or less g's to the combat zone, etc.

Killgore
22-03-2010, 12:55
I like wearing my Mechanicus T-shirt from Black Library, most people don’t associate it with being Games workshop so you can happily walk through crowded streets without people thinking you’re a smelly gamer lol

I wouldnt mind some 40K stickers , im ashamed to admit that I like putting stickers on my university folder (currently Iron Maiden from metalhammer magazine).

Ironhand
22-03-2010, 13:24
I am not a fan of GW's Battle boards but their grass mat is really good and hard wearing. I wish they did a desert version. That would be really useful.

I second this. I'd really love to see a desert version.

Lord_Of_Bats
22-03-2010, 14:02
My mini wishlist:

- a re-release of Battlefleet Gothic, with plastic ships. Seriously, the game is done (and is excellent, probably the best-designed gw have ever done) and you could probably fit a battleship, couple of cruisers and a handful of escorts on a sprue the size of a current tank kit. Smaller even. Marketed right, and for the right price, everyone could have a fleet to go with their army. God I love bfg.

- Primarch models. As collector pieces. Awesome. I'll chuck custodes in here as well.

- A space ship boarding action 40k supplement, with rules for fighting in zero-g, in airless environments etc. Not only would ship-to-ship boarding actions be awesome, but you could have random generators that add more or less g's to the combat zone, etc.

Considering how much ship-boarding is in the background and even a Pimarch met his end through one it'd be good to see... though the free pdf battle mission actually seems meant to represent that somewhat! Though the terrain for such other than spacehulk boards is not so easy.

Hrw-Amen
22-03-2010, 14:32
Ship boarding actions expansion would be something I'd go for. It would be a good thing to tie in with a re-release of BFG. I also think BFG was one of the better games and all plastice sprues would be a winner for sure.

Having said that I have before suggested that as each codex is redone, it could easily include a few extra pages for BFG for that particular armies fleet, or in the case of IG, the Imperial Navy etc. I'm sure that would get more people interested and would allow for the support of both games in one.

I don't think scenary for ship boarding would be that hard, basically just themed box shapes with some corridors. Could and Should be good.

AndrewGPaul
22-03-2010, 14:48
Would you really need an expansion to play out boarding actions? Surely a Battle Missions-style scenario would be sufficient. Space Hulk-style corridors aren't totally necessary (although you can calso get pieces from Doom: The Boardgame and other such games) - just use lots of terrain - like a Necromunda setuip, but on one level, using long pieces to block off areas. Just say that all wall pieces block movement and LOS, and you're set.

I'd like some high-quality prints of some of their classic artwork. The Rogue Trader cover art, for example, or Mark Gibbons' Green Knight

Lord_Of_Bats
23-03-2010, 10:42
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=6900023a Close Quarters Action

There's a basic ship boarding scenario! Amongst other things. And honestly i think it needed and deserved more fanfare!

It should have got a battle report and scenery for it.

GrimZAG
23-03-2010, 12:19
I would love to see free blisters for $X spent in store. that would rock.

Earthbeard
23-03-2010, 13:17
The Ability to buy specific sprues from box sets, they already do it, with some of the accesory sprues for vehicles and weapons, not sure why they don't expand it further, it's not like they're cheaper that way.

Merchandise, cups, tshirts, mouse mats, stickers all that jazz, amke for some cheaper alternative for models for b'day etc, and I'm sure most people who play would end up getting something from the range at some point!

x-esiv-4c
23-03-2010, 13:21
The glorious return of D-rok and Wraith! :D

brightblade
24-03-2010, 10:48

I third this, good idea. :)

htj
24-03-2010, 10:55
I'm quite surprised by the love for the battlemats. I only ever saw one, a friend of mine had it, and it shed something chronic. There were bald patches last time I saw it. Maybe he just got a duff one.

Oh, and what would I like to see? Sales and discounts. :)

brightblade
24-03-2010, 10:59
Really? I have had mine for years now. Actually, it is two, attached to two 4x4 tables which I play on regularly. Maybe he did get a duff one or maybe because mine is not being rolled up every time I play?

Zoring
24-03-2010, 11:28
Magazine Fed, Nerf Versions of Lasguns.

I spose bolters for you Space Marine fans. psh.

Koll
24-03-2010, 11:47
I'd love a Games Workshop brand case deep enough to hold my Monoliths, the current cases are about an inch too shallow for them. Real Shame because if they were just one tray depth deeper I could my entire Necron army into a single large sized GW case.

I'd also love some Alien scenery, Tau, Necron, Eldar etc.

Jagged
24-03-2010, 12:59
I'm quite surprised by the love for the battlemats. I only ever saw one, a friend of mine had it, and it shed something chronic. There were bald patches last time I saw it. Maybe he just got a duff one.

When did he buy it and was it in a roll? GW used to sell grass mats that were produced for them by someone like Ziterdes that came in a roll. Those slowly moult and need to be stuck down to survive well. I don't know who produces their current mat but it comes in a box, has strong cloth backing, can be folded and rolled, is hard wearing and doesn't shed.

Doppleskanger
24-03-2010, 15:11
Yeah if you have the rolled ones and keep rolling it up it will fall apart. If you stick it to a board they last for ever. However the new cloth ones seem pretty indestructible what ever you do with them. Well, I haven't tried getting drunk and using it as a blanket....yet!

Cheeslord
24-03-2010, 15:19
I'd love a Games Workshop brand case deep enough to hold my Monoliths, the current cases are about an inch too shallow for them. Real Shame because if they were just one tray depth deeper I could my entire Necron army into a single large sized GW case.

I'd also love some Alien scenery, Tau, Necron, Eldar etc.

I agree with the Alien scenery. Far too poor to buy an official GW case however;- I just use cardboard boxes and bubblewrap.

I'd like to see a turn-based online version of 40k so we could all play without buying any miniatures and play games over weeks, a turn at a time. What do you think the chances of GW making that (or not sueing the bottom off anyone who made it as freeware) would be?

Mark.

AndrewGPaul
24-03-2010, 18:35
Games Workshop are a company who's main source of income is selling miniatures. What do you think? :)

lowmanjason
24-03-2010, 19:06
Sounds cool. And on that train of thought, i'd love to see some 'special' dice. With designs/styles for different armys. And taking that further some kind of 'command console' for different races like in the old Space Crusade. Keeps track of wounds, army list missions etc

i made something to that effect here, check it out i think it is exactly what you are looking for! http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246777

I would love a World-Wide Internet campaign if it was closer to the EoT than Medusa V.

ie; something more important than a single practically nameless world that has no impact on anything, with more freedom (so players aren't stuck only fighting battles in territories relegated to the countries they're from. Like, I really wish I could have fought battles in Medusa V's capital hive city of Euryales, or for the planet's spaceport of Demios, so as many Imperials as possible could escape. But no, I was stuck fighting to control the strip mines on a planet that we knew was going to be lost to the warp no matter what we did...), and more in depth strategy (ie, the results happening in one region affect things during the campaign rather than just after it, like the domino effect in the EoT campaign).

My recommendation? Operation: Iron Hammer. Revealed in the latest Tyranid codex to be the largest Imperial crusade against the Tau to date. Spanning several systems, it would include planetary engagements and space zones.

For once, the Imperium would be on the attack. An added bonus is GW doesn't have to come up with a stupid reason for why Tau are present. You'd have Orks from the Waagh against the Farsight enclave. Necrons would appear from the artefact worlds, like 'Q-15,' Landfall, or even Arthas Moloch. Chaos, which would benefit from cutting the Crusade off from the rest of the Imperium by attacking from behind, is right next door in the Maelstrom. Hive Fleet Colossus is incoming from the opposite direction. The Eldar would come to fight chaos and prevent the Necrons from capturing too many Tau and somehow learning to utilize their low-warp signatures. Dark Eldar would be... pillaging and stuff.

[I suppose the most natural fault lines would then be Imperials, Necrons, Tyranids, and Orks, vs Tau, Eldar, Chaos, Kroot, Demiurg, and Dark Eldar. A pleasing change to the typical 'Order vs Chaos' which really goes to show how no one in 40k is the good guy.]

The Tau Empire would never be in any real danger, of course, because GW wouldn't let one of their better-selling armies go the way of the dodo. But realistic outcomes of the campaign could be (depending on who wins) that the crusade is shattered and the newly mobilized Tau are ready to surge out in a new expansion phase into the Imperium's unprotected belly, or the Imperium drives the Tau back into their 3rd or 2nd spheres of expansion, giving them a really solid beating for once and enlightening the fishcow-commies (i know they're not commies) as to the true power of the Imperium/frighteningness of the galaxy.

Other ways GW could capitalize on this venture would be to realize rules for standalone Kroot and Demiurg armies, similar to how they did the LatD...

that would be awsome and even more awsome if they produce updates and FAQs, new rules and even models based on the results. it show that the 40k universe is ever evolving and not so stagnent!:D

Logarithm Udgaur
25-03-2010, 01:31
Affordable prices that don't make me feel I have just visited the proctologist. That is all.

Maybe he did get a duff one or maybe because mine is not being rolled up every time I play?
Most likely the second reason. The glue they use to affix the static grass seems to crack and flake off when bent.

lubi125
25-03-2010, 03:46
More novels of the Gaunt ghost series!!!

I love them!

New Cult King
25-03-2010, 06:15
A Warhammer 30K gameline, including miniatures.

Inquisitor Kallus
25-03-2010, 14:44
Cool objectives to capture, boards for space boarding combat (space hulk like sections and bigger sections to represent cargo bays etc) in plastic, city boards

Nezalhualixtlan
25-03-2010, 18:51
Biggest thing for me would be terrain. Alien terrain would be awesome, I'd like *new* expansion sets for the Realm of Battle Board, potentially with water areas, like swamp, or particularly river sections. It'd be great to have some Eldar, Tyranid, Tau, or Necron "buildings" or associated ruins, or smaller terrain bits or objectives available though. I guess some pure Ork stuff could be cool too, but it's pretty easy to "Orkify" any of the more pure alien architecture stuff by ripping stuff up and attaching some plasticard plates to other existing pieces, and Chaos really would have an easy time spiking up Imperial stuff, though some pieces there like Daemon gates and stuff could be cool too.

HK-47
25-03-2010, 18:58
I would like Eldar terrain, and an Eldar themed scenario, like Craftworld defense. It would be like Space Hulk, with the objective of the Eldar player to drive the opponent off his or her's Craftworld.

Chiron
25-03-2010, 19:07
Cheap alternative heads and weapons sprues, sold seperately and preferably plastic.

I miss the Space Marine Close Combat sprue from long ago

Sonofgabe
27-03-2010, 00:44
Always wanted a bionics sprue for guard/marine armies.

Tommygun
27-03-2010, 01:04
Generic Alien plants.
Both big ones for blocking lines of sight and small ones for adding visual interest to the gaming board.
I think generic non-race specific plants would be more useful than say Tyranid themed life forms.

Inquisitor Kallus
28-03-2010, 16:06
Generic Alien plants.
Both big ones for blocking lines of sight and small ones for adding visual interest to the gaming board.
I think generic non-race specific plants would be more useful than say Tyranid themed life forms.

How about both? Multi-level intact buildings which you can place models in would be cool, like the anphelion base internally but with stairs, gangways etc in a more necromunda ish/city hab style. Cargo craft/civilian transport craft, civilian models in plastic. This could allow you to do all sorts of things.

Tommygun
28-03-2010, 16:30
Multi level intact buildings are nice, but there is a problem using them in games.
LOS issues with models out side the building shooting at models inside them.
Also multiple assaults on different floors and the awkwardness of moving models on every level.
Civilian items could work with special scenarios for Battle Missions.
I am hoping they will be putting additional Battle Missions as pdf on the GW site like they did for Apocalypse data sheets.

Eldartank
28-03-2010, 19:34
Some life-size replicas of some of the 40k wargear and weapons. I would live to have a bolt pistol, power sword and Space Marine Scout armor to wear at a haloween party or some big GW event. (yeah, I know, uber nerk geek fantasy)

jesusjohn
28-03-2010, 20:47
I'd like a land speeder, it would make the comute a lot easier, plus a Multi Melta for people who use their phones and drive ;)

In all seriousness i'd like some sensible, affordable xenos terrain. when i say sensible i mean i don't want the eldar fortress of redemption! I want things that can be used in regular games. area terrain kits would be nice as well like the trees they did that could be removed.

Generic terrain peices in a bag to make bigger terrain out of.

I'd quite like a weekend at warhammer world with other adults playing games and doing some painting and getting a few beers in without it being a tourney - bit left field that one!

It does look like we all want xenos terrain, GW are you listening!

ozzie347
28-03-2010, 23:20
a kill-team only expansion. something along the lines of mordheim, not crappy necromunda. and have all races listed, not just hive gangs...

Lord_Of_Bats
02-04-2010, 01:48
Generic Alien plants.

I painted some jungle trees in my tyranid army colours, the segmented stem in the red of my armies carapace and the leaves in the purple of the exposed muscle.

The idea being that rather than adapting the tyranid troop-forms to the local foliage my fleet just covers the planet with foliage that camoflages the troops. They look great on the table even though they arent fully shaded and highlighted yet.

Edit: Oh i thought of another great idea:
Trophy and casualty set. Severed heads, skulls, banner and insignia pieces and whole corpses/wounded/captives with bits of every army on the sprues.

Nearly every army takes some form of trophy (i just love the partial tyranid warrior on the forgeworld ultramarine ven dreadnought) and many take an aweful lot. The dead/wounded minis would make great objectives as we already see with the marine casualties. You could use the pieces like skulls heads and helmets of your own army as wound counters, enemy pieces as base decorations, fill trophy racks and decorate bannerpoles with regular oppomnents heads and even decorate terrain with signs of prior battle!

Say have one sprue of casualties with dead/dying miniatures, one from each main army in the game (a quick wrap in razorwire and that mini beomes a captive), then a sprue of heads and helmets and skulls and insignia for each of the armies in the game and it'd be easy to throw in some chapter symbols etc too.

It would be truly awesome. And i bet it would sell massively. Time it with the release of Dark Eldar or Chaos Space Marines and watch it fly from the shelves!

FSB
02-04-2010, 02:22
1. A supplement that advances the timeline by 1000 years and is canon.
2. Tau and Eldar terrain kits.
3. Plant terrain that looks like the terrain from Oblivion's Shivering Ilse expansion.

burad
02-04-2010, 02:44
More stuff to help you do campaigns.

Inquisitor Kallus
07-04-2010, 23:41
The return of 'formations' box sets or indeed army sets (whole army) for each race that you could use as a detachment for 40k (old school epic players will remember this)