PDA

View Full Version : Legion of the Damned Chaplain?

Grimstonefire
17-03-2010, 21:40
Quick question for a 40k novice. Can the legion of the damned have a chaplain, if so, could it be one in terminator armour?

Lord Damocles
17-03-2010, 21:43
There are no specific rules for it, but there's no reason from a background perspective why such a character wouldn't/couldn't exist.

jlmb_123
17-03-2010, 21:46
They don't have one, but there's no reason you couldn't use them if you were running the Legion as a stand alone army, using standard Marine rules and Legion-themed models

Although the 2nd. Edition (and I think early 3rd. Edition) fluff said that the Legion had no identifiable command structure. Which was then backed up by releasing an army list with a Commander, Apothecary and Techmarine in it.

I think the Chaplain with the Bolt Pistol and Skull Helmet would fit in well with the Legion of the Damned.

If you're asking whether squads of Legionnaires can have them, the short answer is no, but again there's nothing wrong with you putting a Chaplain model into a Legion squad and saying it's a Sergeant.

Grimstonefire
17-03-2010, 21:50
Oh this would strictly be for a modelling project, though I was curious if people would have thought it stupid from a background point of view.

Same reason I'm tempted to do some LotD Terminators....

Mr Zoat
17-03-2010, 22:03
2nd had a Veteran Sergeant with a soul sucking skull. 3rd had a short list.

DuskRaider
17-03-2010, 22:25
I'd say go for it! Legion of the Damned have a ton of character, and I remember the days of entire armies of LotD that were floating about. Chaplains already have that grim death look, converting them further won't be too hard.

jeffersonian000
17-03-2010, 22:34
One of my projects is converting Terminator Chaplains into LotD Termies, just so I can add Termies to my LotD army I've had since 2nd Ed.

From 5th Ed standpoint, a SM Chaplain in TDA should be about to keep up with a squad of LotD as an attached IC, if you pay close attention to which special rules work and which don't.

SJ

Kasr
18-03-2010, 00:27
from a background perspective i think it could go either way on one side you have the fact that they are fighting to kill as many enemies before they succumb to their warp disease/curse and a chaplain driving them on to further glory.

on the other side you have the fluff that they all agreed after they realized their fate that they were all equal before the emperor and dropped all pretense of rank, not to mention a loud mouthed chaplain exhorting his brethen on and shouting curses an ork would be proud of at the enemy would really go with the deathly spectre motief that the legion of the damned are supposed to be known for

Tommygun
18-03-2010, 00:47
As an independent character, couldn't a Chaplain join a Legion squad?
You could convert one to look like a Legionnaire but rules wise count him as a HQ choice.

ehlijen
18-03-2010, 04:19
Tommygun:

Due to the Legion squad's deployment rules, they cannot be joined until arrival unless the character can also teleport, ie is in terminator armour, ie exactly what the OP wanted :D

Alessander
18-03-2010, 04:58
Wasn't Cenarius a chaplain?

AndrewGPaul
18-03-2010, 09:22
Centurius is a veteran Sergeant.

GrimZAG
18-03-2010, 09:27
you mean like this:

http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.com/2009/09/bobinator-explains-his-realistic-legion.html

Tiller5
18-03-2010, 12:08
I say go for it - GW has published a Legion of the Damned Apocalypse Datasheet for having a detachment of them, including Terminators (albeit this was made before the 5th Edition Marine Codex's publication).

Besides, for a modelling project the sheer awesomeness of the army's outcome will far outweigh any complaints from the fluff purists. A whole army of Damned will look spectacular on the battlefield, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress already!