PDA

View Full Version : What do you take for 25%+ Core

KillbotFactory
18-03-2010, 05:08
I have seen a lot of different thread on the emphasis and debate of what armies look like with a cap of 25% characters but I have yet to see much comment on the effect of having a minimum 25% core on army building. While I agree that characters shape the game a lot more than core troops do in the current environment I am curious to see core choices would look like in these restrictions.

With your current books, what changes would you have to make if any to your current army in order to reach 25%(563 points out of 2250)?

I'll start with my 2 main armies,

Tomb Kings- Nothing to change here really, Although not lots of room to spare I usually take in the 600+ range of core troops with a mix of skeletons/chariots.

High Elves- My typical armies would get butchered by this rule. If forced to I think my core choices would look like this:
3 x 10 Archers
24 Spearelves

Tarliyn
18-03-2010, 05:12
with the exception of high elves and a few select builds I don't think many armies would be effected at all with only a 25% core required. If this percentage rumor is true I hope the minimum for core is more than 25%.

I also imagine that if a minimum core is required high elves will be errated to have a different minimum than everyone else.

Ultimate Life Form
18-03-2010, 05:41
Saurus Warriors and... more Saurus Warriors. :shifty:

Seriously, we have more or less 2 different Core choices for Lizardmen, and Skinks do almost nothing in that regard, so expect to either see Blowpipe Skink spam or Saurus walls (that is the road I'm going).

Also it is COMPLETELY false to say that most armies will remain unchanged, as it is more or less a habit to grudgingly take the compulsory core minimum, which is FAR from 25% for most armies, and spend the points on nasty Lords and Rares.

Still I'm somehow happy about that rule, because I think Core should be a big part of an army (as it's its core), and 3x10 Skinks just don't cut it. But if they do it, I think it would be time to lift that stupid 'doesn't count towards your core choices' rule that has been blighting recent army books. That way, we may actually see Jungle Swarms and Rat Swarms one day as they eat a big chunk of points but give you the feeling you don't actually 'get' something for taking them.

steppingonyou
18-03-2010, 06:12
how about 400 zombies? anything i take after that will just take up important zombie space.
ill take and army that looks like this

1 vampire slightly tooled (cause i have to! no zombie lord)
3 necros, on carts
400 zombies in one unit, 100 wide and 4 deep.
2 vaegulfs to flank or what not.

the plan would be to get everything engaged to the front and raise new units to rear charge and flank charge.

lets see the demons do something to that. im guaranteed to get outnumbering bonuses, that should match the disdain and scowls of everyone. best part is as zombies die i just set them up on a different card for next game

Stumpy
18-03-2010, 06:24
Empire: 776 points in core
Lizardmen: 762 points in core
No changes, I've got just under 35% core in both anyway :D

Tarliyn
18-03-2010, 06:53
Also it is COMPLETELY false to say that most armies will remain unchanged, as it is more or less a habit to grudgingly take the compulsory core minimum, which is FAR from 25% for most armies, and spend the points on nasty Lords and Rares.

I guess I just never see people skimming on core troops like that. In both areas I have played at getting the 3 min core guys you need have taken most of the points. Must be a regional thing. People do load up on nasty rares and or characters. Stupid flying beasties and hard to kill large targets.

TsukeFox
18-03-2010, 07:08
how about 400 zombies? anything i take after that will just take up important zombie space.
ill take and army that looks like this

1 vampire slightly tooled (cause i have to! no zombie lord)
3 necros, on carts
400 zombies in one unit, 100 wide and 4 deep.
2 vaegulfs to flank or what not.

the plan would be to get everything engaged to the front and raise new units to rear charge and flank charge.

lets see the demons do something to that. im guaranteed to get outnumbering bonuses, that should match the disdain and scowls of everyone. best part is as zombies die i just set them up on a different card for next game

you are my hero. It is. A template, spell, and artillary magnet , but it is still genius! But dead things are creepy, smelly, and dead

snottlebocket
18-03-2010, 07:18
Chaos: Currently I just run the minimum amount of 3 units of horsemen because I'm focussing on a fast chaos army full of ogres, dragon ogres and knights. If I need more points in core I'll probably get a marauder and chaos warrior infantry block. (not a bad change since I can afford to be a bit less competitive)

Lizardmen: More saurus, more skink skirmishers. I'm fine with that.

Dwarfs: Eh, dwarf warriors, thunderers, crossbowmen, longbeards, I'm fine with more of any of those although I doubt I'll need it to meet the points requirement.

Orcs and goblins: Again I love greenskin core and I doubt I'd need to change my list to meet any new core requirements.

bert n ernie
18-03-2010, 07:32
I guess it depends on whether certain units count towards minimum core or not.
I can see it affecting a lot of popular builds, but I can only see that as a good thing.

For my skaven, if Giant rats and Rat Swarms don't count towards core I'll be very annoyed as my army is a moulder themed list. I might be able to manage 450pts without those two choices, but would be up in the region of 850pts if those counted. Despite the fact that I may be permanently dropping my seer on a bell, I'm very much in favour of this potential change of direction. I wouldn't have a problem adding more core if everyone else was doing it.

someone2040
18-03-2010, 07:34
Hmm... I think in my Dogs of War, I'll need to take more Light Cavalry and Duellists. Maybe some more Heavy Cavalry as well.
I fair reasonably well due to taking the Marksmen of Miragliano and Volands Venators, so for 2000 points I don't need to shuffle them around too much.
I do have to shuffle around others though due to losing Asarnil. If only Deathfang came out of the rare points values :(

Grey Mage
18-03-2010, 07:46
Large blocks of saurus supported by small swarms of skinks. Same as I do now for that matter, with a couple skink priests for support and a Scar-Vet for the general at lower point values, Slaan+Skinks at 2000+.

Right now my 1250 and 1500pts run 2 Blocks of Saurus, 2 units of skinks, one EotGs, one scar-veteran, 2 razordons, and 3 terradons, with a unit of saurus cav or krox and some chameleons or ranked skinks at 1500pts.

At 2000pts? 1 unit of temple gaurd, 3 units of saurus with spears, 30 skinks, 1 slaan, 1 EotGs, 2 Razordons... you get the idea. Core units are never skimped on, because they work well for their points.

I take EotG for the ward save against shooting *I HATE warmachines* and counter-cavalry charge abilities. The extra DD doesnt hurt either. Razordons and skinks are mostly to keep my saurus from getting flank charged all day, and give me a little shooting.

Ive always laughed at 2x EotG+Slaan, simply because it seems like such a waste of points in the end. Id rather get 2 skink priests and a pair of sallies/razors for the price.

Fredmans
18-03-2010, 08:23
With my 2250 O&G, I am well over 50% core as it is. The crucial special and rare slots are so cheap and there is a four-hero cap anyway. If percentages came into play, I guess my core percentage would go down in favour of special and rare slots. Still well over 25 %, but less than now.

With WoC, I always field a block of marauders, a block of warriors, marauder horsemen and some dogs. That is about 25 %, so not much change. On the other hand, the points I sink into magic and specials will probably end up there.

/Fredmans

StormCrow
18-03-2010, 08:36
Well my orcs will remain the same; i usually have around 6-800 points of core

My tomb kings will also be unaffected, as i like archers, chariots, and skellie warriors in abundance

My dark elves *might* need to be looked at but honestly all their core choices are useful so i doubt that'd be a big deal either.

So bring on the change, I can handle it (except the 25% max characters will ruin my tomb kings :()

ChaosVC
18-03-2010, 08:39
I always take around 25% core unless I am playing Highelves... It really depends on what kind of list I am making there is no definate answer to that for me.

Condottiere
18-03-2010, 08:43
For DoW, nothing much changes, except that perhaps one character would be dropped, possibly two if a Captain couldn't be squeezed in.

All the basic human troop types are in Core; in fact, we're closer to the DE in this regard, because we can switch our choices to RoR with their own integral Hero-equivalent Champions, which would make any game with an 8th Edition book against a vintage DoW force would at a minimum be not a foregone conclusion.

Cyberfries
18-03-2010, 08:52
I think, the rule changes not much for many races.
It will be hard for high elves or WoC, but thats it.
Armies like Orcs and Skaven will never have a problem with that,
the empire, beastmen, ogres and dwarfs only slight problems.
No, I think the 25% on core is a good rule, I'm more sceptic with the 25% cap on rare and characters.

fantasypisces
18-03-2010, 09:49
My Bretonnia army will pretty much be unchanged, as bret armies are mostly core anyway.

For my skaven though. erm, it depends if giant rats count or not. If they don't I will have to add significantly more clanrats and cut back on characters or specials.

GuyLeCheval
18-03-2010, 09:59
many clanrats and slaves...

BigbyWolf
18-03-2010, 10:08
Due to the fact that I'm currently running Dragon Lord and Knight spam with my WoC, they are definately going to need changing, but seeing as other armies will be toning down I can't see a problem with that.

Ogres won't suffer at all, neither will my OnG.

My only gripe with it is that my current VC list will suffer, although it's got 3 units of Black Knights and one of Blood Knights and the only core are 3 units of Ghouls and some Direwolves, it's not a competetive army, and now it becomes less so.

crazywhiteboydance
18-03-2010, 10:10
It doesnt affect my Skaven at all & most of Daemon armies will be ok but the tourney level lists will some adjusting but then if there's a char cap what else are you gonna fill points with...troops! & loads of em :D

Memnos
18-03-2010, 10:11
Ogres, I field close to 50% core. Possibly more.

Deetwo
18-03-2010, 10:22
Hmmh.. 500 points core, eh (I only play 2k games)... If it's going to be true, most of my armies will stay as is as far as core goes (characters will be a different story alltogether).

Daemons manage that easily, I already use a big block of PBs and a couple units of horrors.. Just need a couple extra models to make up the difference.

My DE is currently 140ish points short, which just means more xbows.

HE on the other hand is absolutely screwed. I really don't want to take more spear/bow elves than I absolutely have to. Not really sure what to do with the army, since the core simply sucks.

Wood Elves have such fantastic core, I generally already use 5-6 units anyway.

StarFyreXXX
18-03-2010, 11:49
I always take 4-6 units of core in 2k-3k games so I expect my armies won't change much. If I can't take an engine, that slot will be filled by more special choice kroxigors.
In fact, my army will look more lik my 6E army, but without being as overall effective (or fun to play) as my 6E lists...

2-3 units of 50 pt, 2x5 formation skinks to rotate and redirect units. 1-2 units of skirmishers, and 2 units of 21 saurus.

Sanjay

The SkaerKrow
18-03-2010, 12:29
My armies all have at least 40% Core, so the switch to a 25%+ requirement doesn't affect me at all.

mrtn
18-03-2010, 12:45
For my skaven I'd need two clanrats more.

For my beastmen I'd need one or two units more, depends on which army list I start with.

For my nurglings (VC ghouls counts as) I'm in trouble, not because I don't use enough core, but because I have so few points in specials and rares, and so many in characters.

For my WoC I have enough points in core already, but as I usually play magic heavy I'd have to change them as well.

duffybear1988
18-03-2010, 12:50
my list wouldnt change at all as I already run the following -

CHARACTERS (505 pts)
1 chaos lord on daemonic steed
1 sorcerer

CORE (945 pts)
2 x 20 marauders
12 marauders
5 x 6 warhounds
5 maruader horse
18 warriors

SPECIAL (690 pts)
8 knights
1 chariot
4 ogres

RARE (110 pts)
2 spawn

Desert Rain
18-03-2010, 12:59
My High Elves would get kinda screwed by that rumour, not so much on the core part compared to the special part though. My 2250 list has 367 points in core so another archer unit or some sea guards would boost them to over 562 points. Specials on the other hand would be royally screwed since 9 out of 14 units are special ones.

So core would be something like this:
23 Spearmen: Full Command, Lion Standard/warbanner
10 Archers
10+ Sea Guard: Shields

Forgotmytea
18-03-2010, 13:05
At the moment, my (admittedly small) Wood Elves have well over 50% core, a nice mix of Dryads, Glade Guard and Glade Riders, so they're fine :) My Dark Elves are just below 50% core on my average 2000pt list, so again, very little modification needed there ;)

Alltaken
18-03-2010, 13:21
oh, I take round 500 to 600 core skink sauri troops, just run 2 big blocks of sauri and of your points go! rarely run rare or special outside of terradons and temple guard. The occasional cav maybe

Gromdal
18-03-2010, 13:38
I have atleast 50% core. KE mostly!!!

Oh yeah baby, see my 16 year old kids run down your 500 year old sword masters.
In your face...

Grymlok
18-03-2010, 14:55
Still I'm somehow happy about that rule, because I think Core should be a big part of an army (as it's its core), and 3x10 Skinks just don't cut it. But if they do it, I think it would be time to lift that stupid 'doesn't count towards your core choices' rule that has been blighting recent army books. That way, we may actually see Jungle Swarms and Rat Swarms one day as they eat a big chunk of points but give you the feeling you don't actually 'get' something for taking them.

Totally agree.

It's always struck me as a synical ploy to ensure that you purchase Saurus/skinks. They don't want you buying a few units of Jungle Swarms (or a base with three rolled up bits of green stuff as snakes!!) and have that count as your core.

I usually have 25% or more of core anyway, but I do think that "doesn't count" is an annoyance, as it removes some flexibility.

Bloodknight
18-03-2010, 15:01
I play Dogs of War, more than half of my 2K list is in Core anyway.

30 Crossbowmen, 3x9 Pistol Duellists, 6 Voland's Venators, 3x5 Fast Cavalry, 5 Knights plus one or two Pike blocks, if I feel like it.

Sygerrik
18-03-2010, 15:13
In numbers, not points, I will continue to have a 50/50 Slave/Clanrat split, with weapon teams on all the Clanrat units and a few small Giant Rat "darts."

Commodus Leitdorf
18-03-2010, 15:41
Hmm, I would just end up taking what I usually do for my Empire

25 x Swordsmen
9 x Swordsmen detachment
30 x Halberdiers
10 x Militia Detachment
10 x Handgunners
10 x Crossbowmen
6 x Knights
6 x Knights
10 x Huntsmen

Nothing would change all that much for me really except I would have to make cuts to my character alotment. And that would all depend on how the magic phase changes and whether or not I need to invest anything into magic defense beyond a single Warrior Priest or just my Arch Lector.

Poseidal
18-03-2010, 15:52
Remember that 'core' is sort of a recent invention.

Before, it was 'regiments' which was basically anything that wasn't a character, monster or warmachine.

N810
18-03-2010, 15:54
Skinks+Saurus :p
(not that I have any more options)

Lord Anathir
18-03-2010, 15:58
3x10 archers covers too much horizontal space, leaving your battle line a bit stretched and weak. additionally there will be line of sight issues.

@2250 25% = 562.5

20 Spears, sb, m
20 Spears, sb, m
2x 10 Spears to hold mages, redirect, screen elite infantry.

Enigmatik1
18-03-2010, 17:13
20 Skeleton Archers, SB, Banner of the Undying Legion
3 Chariots, SB, Icon of the Sacred Eye
4 Chariots

Total = 567 points @ 2k :D

StarFyreXXX
18-03-2010, 17:14
N810 - hehehe

What do you mean? We have TONS of options.

You can have skinks...or skinks with blowpipes...or skinks with krox that just give up free CR, and saurus :)

Sanjay

Enigmatik1
18-03-2010, 17:21
N810 - hehehe

What do you mean? We have TONS of options.

You can have skinks...or skinks with blowpipes...or skinks with krox that just give up free CR, and saurus :)

Sanjay

I'm not sure what's worse...having 2-3 options or having half your options either be redundant or not even be viable/worth their points? ;)

I'm going to try to be fair and call that one a toss up.

artisturn
18-03-2010, 18:05

I totally agree,if we are going to be required to increase the amount of core we need to bring to the table then it is time to lift that restriction or enable some kind of system if I bring three "regular" core units then I can have one "don't count as" be a legal choice that counts toward my 25% core minimum.

I pretty much average around 21% core,as a VC player it is in my best interest to field large units, I usually start my ghouls/skeletons at 17 to 19 at the minimum and my zombies at 30 so it will be just a matter of adding a rank or two to their starting size.

librisrouge
18-03-2010, 19:17
This could really make my State Troops much more viable. To use them right they take up a good portion of core anyway but now they'll be fighting other core more often...and...and...they'll still get beaten down by Chaos Warriors and Saurus and Spear Elves won't they?

N810
18-03-2010, 19:20
This could really make my State Troops much more viable. To use them right they take up a good portion of core anyway but now they'll be fighting other core more often...and...and...they'll still get beaten down by Chaos Warriors and Saurus and Spear Elves won't they?

Probaly, but Chaos Warriors and Saurus and Spear Elves will be full of musket an cannon holes by the time they get to fight...

Lord Anathir
18-03-2010, 20:07
spear elves dont beat state troops + detachments.

Avian
18-03-2010, 23:13
Not generally if they are all by themselves, no.

Stumpy
18-03-2010, 23:19
Well, you're fighting a noob of an elf player if he lets the detachments work. That, or you've already won by then and he has nothing to deal with them. Detachments just plain suck.

I expect we'd have to fill the 3 minimum core then after that we can take whatever as long as its core (dogs, swarms and such). Oh, and for the lizardmen core, the one unit I don't consider fielding is saurus :p

Devil Tree
19-03-2010, 00:17
My armies (Beasts, Empire and Orcs) should be fine. I tend to go troop heavy anyways with around 50% core.

I personally would be in favor keeping the restrictions on swarms and some beasts from counting as core. They're not actual soldiers that do things like scout enemy positions, set up camp and help move or guard supply lines. They're mainly just animals that have to be goaded into attacking the enemy, if they aren't constantly attended and fed they'd probably just wander off. I'm sure there are a couple exceptions, with animals rising up and attacking invaders ( la Avatar) but I would like to keep things at least a little semi-realistic (for fantasy:rolleyes:).

Panzer MkIV
19-03-2010, 00:21
I wouldn't have to change anything when the new minimum Core is implemented

All for 2000pts

Dwarfs

2x20 Warriors, FC, shields
1x20 Longbeards, FC, shields, Rune of courage
2x10 Quarellers, mus, shields
1x10 Thunderers, mus, shields

Total: 1110pts

Empire

29 Swordsmen, FC
Detachments: 9 halberdiers, 5 archers
29 Spearmen, FC, shields
Detachments: 9 halberdiers, 5 archers
10 Crossbowmen
10 Handgunners
5 Knights, mus
20 Flaggelants, prophet (thanks to the presence of a Priest ;))

Total: 1056pts

Warriors of Chaos

2x24 Marauders, L.A, Shields, FC
2x5 Horsemen, flails, mus
2x5 Hounds
17 Chaos Warriors, FC, shields, Warbanner

Total: 877pts

O&G

25 Orcs, 2 choppas, FC
25 Orcs, shields, FC
30 NG, spears, shields, FC, 2 fanatics
20 NG, bows, mus, 1 fanatic
12 Orc arrer boys, mus, boss
2x5 Wolfriders, spears, mus

Total: 898pts

Bring on 8th Edition :D

Mirbeau
19-03-2010, 01:32
DRYADS! Really Wood Elves players are spoiled for choice by our core troops, most are very useful, though I'm still unnerved by the potential prospect of what happened to the beasts happening to us.

Slacker
19-03-2010, 09:15
My Empire doesn't really change very much-I take a few big block with detachments that'll easily fill the 25% requirement. My Dwarfs of Chaos are in much the same boat-I take two big blocks of Annihilators and a block of Warriors. I think I'll actually be able to decrease my core a bit with them when the new rules come out, we'll see.

ChaosVC
19-03-2010, 09:37
Lots of Mauraders with great weapon light armour shield and mark of Khorny khorn khorn!!!! WHOOOHOOOO!!!! I always wanted a real Warrior of Chaos army where there are multiple mauarder units and a few hard elites like warriors and knights...perhaps the 25% core rule with make things easier for my core to do their job?

Skyros
19-03-2010, 19:24
Many armies wouldn't really be affected. Empire, dwarves, orcs, skaven, dark elves, etc, all have tons of quality core. Lizardmen only have a couple core options but Saurus may just be the nastiest infantry around in 8th edition so they aren't suffering either.

The only army that would really 'suffer' is the High Elves - and I would expect them to have a special rule for army composition in 8th ed just like they do in 7th.

enygma7
19-03-2010, 21:36
I'd welcome it if it happens, but it needs to be combined with other changes. The site of minimum core really repulses me and I generally avoid playing high elf armies and daemons for that reason - I like to see "proper" armies and 2 units of elf archers cheerleading an army of dragon princes insn't a proper army. But as well as a points minimum they also need to make ranked core infantry worth taking (essential?), otherwise we'll see dark elves fielding armies of harpies, dark riders and xbows and beastmen with hordes of chariots etc.

My armies won't need to change to meet the restrictions. I field armies that "feel right" and within those self imposed restrictions make them as competetive as possible. So I'm hoping 8th ed will be another moment when I can sit smugly back unscathed and listen to the whinging of all those who took "the most optimal list". Muhahahaha!! Ahem. Time for my medication.

Odin
19-03-2010, 22:54
Doesn't affect any of my armies, I easily take at least 25% core in my Chaos, Wood Elf and Empire armies.

FanaticKilla
19-03-2010, 23:28
It will screw up my fast lizardmen lists I normally take consisting of Skinks and mounted Saurus. Either I take 8 units of Skink skirmishes or I start taking Saurus warriors with spears which kinda defeats the point of fast.
I guess I could try out Skink cohorts though I don't really think much of them.

larabic
19-03-2010, 23:42
I play Dwarfs so my core is usually 2-3 block infantry (20 strong) and a unit of gunners and a unit of crossbows 10 strong each.

StarFyre
20-03-2010, 01:36
Thats funny... I used jungle swarms for the first time today in 7E. 2250 pt game vs an all horse/cavalry chaos army with a tzeetnch lord on disc. Needless to say, the BRB lores are garbage compared to what that wizard was putting out. In the end, the swarms did the most. They destroyed 2 units of marauder horsemen. Rest of army got popped by nurgle/khorne knights and that tzeentch lord.

I may try adding 2 or 3 units of swarms now :)

Sanjay

KillbotFactory
20-03-2010, 01:48
Thats funny... I used jungle swarms for the first time today in 7E. 2250 pt game vs an all horse/cavalry chaos army with a tzeetnch lord on disc. Needless to say, the BRB lores are garbage compared to what that wizard was putting out. In the end, the swarms did the most. They destroyed 2 units of marauder horsemen. Rest of army got popped by nurgle/khorne knights and that tzeentch lord.

Not sure what more swarms are going to do against chaos knights regardless of how well they killed marauder horsemen. On the other hand the Lore of Metal is your best friend in this match up as each casting of spirit of the forge wipes a unit of knights off the table and you can also snipe the characters.

On a more on topic note, I am pleasantly surprised to see that with the exception of high elves I think the consensus is that most normal armies aren't bothered at all by this rule while the more abusive DE/Liz/VC/WoC builds seem to have to do some adjustment. While I see how most armies will just result in what many would consider boring spamming of certain core choices I still see it as a rule that overall benefits warhammer.

StarFyre
20-03-2010, 02:17
I used lore of metal..killed a total of 3 models with it. Couldn't get past all the dispel dice he had and when i did...oneof the spells i used still allowed armour saves (the 2d6 one), and due his regeneration/toughess i wasn't able to do much overall. Even if it did, still NOTHING compared to what that wizard did...or wizards (he had 2 level 2s as well).

I don' tcare about the change really since i normally use lots of core and try to avoid engines anyways (personally, I prefer my 6e game better with no rares and only 1 or 2 units of krox for special).

Saurus are decent against most things (other than the armies i happen to play against :P heheheh ) as are mass skinks.

Sanjay

TheMav80
20-03-2010, 02:47
Lizards - I always take at least one block of 18 Saurus with spears. If I don't take the Slann and his Temple Guard, I add two more blocks. Two units of skinks are there either way.

Ogres - Ha! I usually don't even take any specials. I probably take close to 800 points in core.

TheSanityAssassin
20-03-2010, 03:09
My Empire list has about 1000 pts core, so that's not a problem. Still a wack of Knights and my unit of Flagellants and some Handgunners.

My High Elves weigh in at about 315 pts core. I'd probably build up a couple more Archer units, or maybe a small band of Seaguard to fill it out.

Havock
20-03-2010, 03:31
I can hear the DoC players laughing about this :p

Lord0rcus
20-03-2010, 05:59
Daemons: I'm normally over 25% core, & I include standards for my opponents to catch
Lizards: I'll have to buff up the most here. Thinking about adding skrox detachments or sauri.
Dark Elves: I field a New Model style army with about 40% bows/spearmen
VC: more skellies
I have a DoW army, but I haven't broken them out since 6th ed.

Cartoon
20-03-2010, 08:10
If the other rumor about infantry fighting in two ranks is true then chaos warriors will certainly be a popular choice. Two units of those with some marauder/horsemen support and I'll be at %25 no problem. I just hope I still have room for my chosen somewhere in there. Actually, they will probably a much better option then since they would have tons of other infantry to support them.

So yeah, chaos warriors all the way for my WoC.

logan054
20-03-2010, 08:19
khorne warriors with extra hand weapons, 6 wide, 49 attacks with champions... khorne marauders with great weapons, 25 attacks, wonder if they will change frenzy if this rumour is true.

Skywave
20-03-2010, 09:08
Either with my VC or TK I'm well over 25% of core. I usually field around 30% with my VC, and 35 to 45% with my TK, that's for 2000pts game.

In fact if characters wasn't so essential in both army I'd have more core, just that both army require a buttload of point in character to perform decently.

Stuffburger
20-03-2010, 14:26
I wouldn't even really have to think about it with O&G- my last 2k list was 47% core.

I really, really hope the "infantry fights in two ranks" rumor turns out to be false. Elite infantry turns invincible on the charge and it's not really possible to anvil anymore. Can you imagine charging 2x6 swordmasters and getting smacked with 24 S5 attacks before you can even go? It could be a feasible rule and would help infantry to the detriment of cavalry but (as usual) all the armybooks would need to be rebalanced to take that into account.

Cartoon
20-03-2010, 21:58
khorne warriors with extra hand weapons, 6 wide, 49 attacks with champions... khorne marauders with great weapons, 25 attacks, wonder if they will change frenzy if this rumour is true.

That would be pretty insane. I think the fight in two ranks rule is not that both ranks actually get to attack, I believe its where if models in the front rank are killed then models from the second rank will step in and fight that round to make up the attacks. So if three warriors are killed before they have attacked that round, three warriors from the second rank will step up and you will be attacking with a full front rank. Or at least that's what I've heard on how that rule will work.

If it is actually that both ranks actively attack, Khorne warriors will be insane. It would be neigh unstoppable.

goonerslg
20-03-2010, 22:20
I just knocked up a 1500 point VC list for Monday night with 40 skellies, 20 ghouls and 18 wolves. Think they all total about 680/700 points (50 of those are on banners).

Shimmergloom
21-03-2010, 00:25
3 main armies, we nearly always play at least 2250, so that's what I will base this on:

1. Greenskins:

core: no problem no matter what build I take.
Characters: will have to lower the points if 25% max is true. I use about 650-675pts in characters is my most common builds. Just with a black orc warlord, bsb and 2 lvl 2 shamans.

Dark Elves:

1. Characters: My most common build uses about 700pts in characters. If mounts don't count, I'll be find and just need to drop a scroll. If they do, I'll have to do more retooling.
2. Core: I field 425-545pts in core, so I'll just need to add 18pts to get it to 25%.

Beastmen:

I haven't used their 7th edition book yet, but in the lists I've been making up I would have to change alot in characters.

I was wanting to use a gorebull, gorebull bsb and 2 bray shamans.

Core should be no problem, but they have pretty awful core(excluding chariots) that's going to get eaten alive by 2 rank fighting infantry from about a dozen armies.

I have ogres sitting in a box that only see action as ringer armies for tournies. If they get to fight in 2 ranks like other infantry, then ironguts or 2 hw bulls could be pretty great.

Characters will be very problematic though.

brendel
21-03-2010, 03:34
Dont think it would change much in my armys.

Say for each army at 2000 pts

High elves x2 units of 20 spearelves and unit of 10 archers. wont change

Night Goblins over 60% of my army is core

Empire 50% of my army is core

Its just my hero's that would change.