PDA

View Full Version : Battle for Skull Pass, good value?

eron12
18-03-2010, 06:31
Basically what the title says. The set seems to be a great value in minatures if one is interested in Dwarfs, Goblins, or especally both, plus it has the 7th ed Rulebook, which I don't have. Just the goblins alone would cost more than the set to purchase individually.

Am I missing anything here, or is it a great deal if you are the least bit interested in the armies?

Hicks
18-03-2010, 06:36
It's definitely a great value. I have a dwarf army and I use lots of BfSP miniatures. It's so much cheaper than buying the normal kits.

Some people hate the look of those dwarfs though, but I think they look good enough for core units and that leaves you more money for the special stuff.

FailSafe07
18-03-2010, 06:46
I agree. If you play dwarfs or gobbos absolutely get the kit. Even if you don't it makes sense to buy the box, take the rulebook, dice and templates and then sell the pieces. You can make a decent bit of what you spent on BfSP back.

Onidan
18-03-2010, 07:20
If you play Dwarfs, O&G or both get it. The value is great, and even if the individual minis look not that great they are hardly noticeable once they´re mixed in a unit.

If you´d be only interested in the book or whatever, 8th is around the corner.

Schmapdi
18-03-2010, 07:53
If you want gobbos - definitely - they blend in well with normal goblins.

If you want dwarfs - probably - they aren't as nice as normal dwarves - but make decent rank filler.

Otherwise, I think I'd pass.

shelfunit.
18-03-2010, 08:12
Yup, it is good value - the 100+ models for £40 (don't buy direct from GW, get it from Wayland or Maelstrom) is excellent value for once from GW. All the models hold up well against their multi-part bretherin and the extra non-combatent models are pretty good for making terrain and objectives with.
On top of that you get a fist full of dice (like you don't have enough at the mo ;) )

Condottiere
18-03-2010, 09:41
The Dwarf miniatures look good, too bad the same can't be said about the goblins. Cheap way to fill out the ranks; usually cheaper to buy either the models or the entire box second hand.

Arbas
18-03-2010, 09:48
I'm holding off for 8th - too much cash to risk buying more redundant rules ...

Rodman49
18-03-2010, 10:33
I would say yeah its a great value at its old price point of $50, but with its increase to $75 its not worth it for 8th edition. I bought one set at $50, but with its price hike no one has bought any in this area since.

Deetwo
18-03-2010, 11:14
I think it's great value even just for the small rulebook :)
The hardback one is great and all that, but it's a bit of a drag to carry around to tournaments and such.

Overall, the current starter sets are most likely the best value boxes GW has ever produced.

musical
18-03-2010, 12:12
Yeah its good value, I got it just for the Night Goblins.

mrtn
18-03-2010, 12:14
The Dwarf miniatures look good, too bad the same can't be said about the goblins. Cheap way to fill out the ranks; usually cheaper to buy either the models or the entire box second hand.

I'm the other way around, I don't like the dwarves but I think the goblins are great.
It can also be useful for other armies, I've used some 50 gobbos as skavenslaves in my army, and I think you could use the troll in a WoC army as well.

phoenixguard09
18-03-2010, 12:32
Its great if you play Chaos Dwarves. :D

I'm getting 3 of them before 8th. I've been putting of my Chaos Dwarves for far too long...

rtunian
18-03-2010, 13:36
fantastic value for any o&g, dwarf, chaos dwarf, skaven (think slaves), or ogre (think gnoblars) general

Shamutanti
19-03-2010, 01:23
The Dwarves make good cross overs in an Empire force also (e.g. using Dwarf Hand Gunners for Empire ones, considering Empire has small villages of Dwarf settlers around them and every Dwarf knows those up ground land lovers are weak kneed wimps!)

Jind_Singh
19-03-2010, 06:05
is it good value? so much so I bought 3 boxes and traded all the stunties for gobbos!

the gobbos are a complete (and actually really good) 500pt army - with some very small additions it becomes an amazing 1000pt army! :D

the stunties also look cool enough to use - though overall the gobbos look cooler.

the troll is nice and plasticy so he's easy to convert

the little huts/dwarven fence thing, and other pieces are cool to work with - i made a gobbo village out of mine - made a fenced yard which holds giant squigs with herders chasing them!!! :D

Condottiere
19-03-2010, 07:27
I think a number of people have tried converting the pony into Dwarven cavalry.

Sambojin
20-03-2010, 07:28
It's great value you. Buy two of them and you've got a pretty much complete O+G and dwarf army. Just you make a couple of bolt-throwers out of sprue bits, a couple of pump wagons from the anvil (for O+G) or just use it as an anvil for dwarfs. You can also get a doom-diver from the O+G scenario objective thing. And a pony... which is cool. Makes an alright bull-centaur by chopping the captured dwarf up and gluing them together if you're into chaos dwarfs.

You can actually make a reasonable 1200pt CD army out of it, if your handy with conversions. I've made ninja-goblins, gigantic spiders, netters and clubbers, the aforementioned warmachines, a death squad of gork and quite alot of other random stuff. There's not alot you can't make out of it, come to think of it. Nice just to buy. But REALLY nice if you convert stuff up. Great value.

Crazy Harborc
21-03-2010, 03:41
It was a better (cost less) deal at the beginning of 7th Edition. IMHO it is still a good deal. Still and all, I bought 3 grand total...That was at the orginial price.

I am into BOTH of the armies in the box. Sold the rulebooks that came in the boxes

Sambojin
21-03-2010, 04:16
Imagine the NG ninja-spam we could have all created in 6th. Or Ravening Hordes Spider-rider goodness....... A 5th Ed netter and clubber block........ Ah, the nostalgia of a 7th edition starter set. Can't wait for the memories they make for the armies involved in 8th. :)

defunct
21-03-2010, 05:04
Ahh, the Gobbos are excellent. A Night Goblin Archer unit wouldn't look as good on tabletop without the BfSP archer ones mixed in.

The Spearmen are also great unit fillers.

Freman Bloodglaive
21-03-2010, 05:25
I've just bought a couple of BfSP Dwarf Cannon to act as Dogs of War cannon. They look nice and small compared to Empire Great Cannon.

brendel
21-03-2010, 07:08
It was better Value 3 years ago at $95 NZ, now its $135 NZ still good Value.