PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop Target Audience

shandy
18-03-2010, 13:39
So good news for quite a few gamers.

A recent report which has been in the newspapers these last couple of days has stated that once a person gets pass 35 years of age they are no longer considered young.

Now I know a number of posts on here refer to GW's priority audience is their young gamers and getting them into the hobby and they do nothing for the veteran gamers.

Well if your 35 or under you are now the priority so you don't have to worry about it.

It does mean though that next year I no longer count as priority and join the veteran group but I plan to enjoy my last year of being a "young" gamer with enthusiasm.

Shandy

Chaos and Evil
18-03-2010, 13:55
Well, that's a primed grenade of a first post, if ever I saw one. :angel:

Bloodknight
18-03-2010, 14:02
For some reason I thought I had accidentally clicked on a thread in the Wastes, reading that 1st post...

Condottiere
18-03-2010, 14:49
Ironically, it would be that over 35 demographic that would have the time and the most disposable income for their products, whether personally, or by proxy (kids).

Hena
18-03-2010, 18:27
I thought that in GW terms, young gamer is under 10 ... :D

freddythebig
18-03-2010, 20:03
Well I am 48....I suppose I had better start thinking about what I am going to do when I grow up.

Skaven13
18-03-2010, 20:27
Interesting post, if not a little pointless in nature. It's a game. Play what you want, how you want. Who cares what other opinions people may have about "age".

Max Jet
18-03-2010, 21:37
Naaaah...
Somehow almost 50% of GWs releases don't target the younger gamers, but the stupid gamers. So if you're stupid you will always find something thrown in for you, no matter how old and if you look for a decent release you will find no extra for you, just because you're younger.

Lewis
18-03-2010, 23:38
I was always given to believe the end of young was 13,14 in GW terms. This aside I'd love to see a comprehensive review of GW beliefs about target demographic and what they think they make from whom

Angelwing
19-03-2010, 00:20
The british railway companies don't consider people 'young' anymore after 26. Twas a sad day when my discount card expired.

Max Jet
19-03-2010, 00:44
Chekhov's Grenade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun) goes : BOOM!

Your clever plotting has triumphed and I bow before you. (Also I have learned something interesting today)

HOWEVER My point still stands as it is, because the "Target audience" debate pops up quite often and I feel we need to realize, that it is not about age.

Skaven13
19-03-2010, 02:30
Your clever plotting has triumphed and I bow before you. (Also I have learned something interesting today)

HOWEVER My point still stands as it is, because the "Target audience" debate pops up quite often and I feel we need to realize, that it is not about age.

So now the insinuation is no longer if you like a lot of what GW offers, you must be a child. Now, it's if you like about 50% of what GW has to offer, you are stupid?
*shakes head
Some of you people on here truly amaze me.

Sikkukkut
19-03-2010, 03:49
"You don't stop playing games because you get old, you get old because you stop playing games."

--a wise man on RPGNet

Samus_aran115
19-03-2010, 03:52
Naaaah...
Somehow almost 50% of GWs releases don't target the younger gamers, but the stupid gamers. So if you're stupid you will always find something thrown in for you, no matter how old and if you look for a decent release you will find no extra for you, just because you're younger.

Like buying 5 CSmarines for 20$ when you can get 10 for 35$ :wtf::wtf:

Max Jet
19-03-2010, 13:36
So now the insinuation is no longer if you like a lot of what GW offers, you must be a child. Now, it's if you like about 50% of what GW has to offer, you are stupid?
*shakes head
Some of you people on here truly amaze me.

Sale numbers of the Citadel gaming board or the Gold Swords.. or even more the battle mission book, while you can have much cooler missions almost for free in the old Codicies.. THAT amazes me!

htj
19-03-2010, 14:11
Ah, the old 'if I don't like it, people who do are stupid' argument.

Come on guys, if GW make things you don't like then don't buy them. Let's not throw sticks at each other.

Besides, I quite like the idea of the gaming board. It's pretty and storable (a vital concern in my flat.) Except the skull pits. Those would have to go.

freddythebig
19-03-2010, 20:16
"You don't stop playing games because you get old, you get old because you stop playing games."

--a wise man on RPGNet

'George Bernard Shaw'

I have quoted this a few times myself over the years (see previous post for my age).

Master Jeridian
19-03-2010, 21:40
A recent report which has been in the newspapers these last couple of days has stated that once a person gets pass 35 years of age they are no longer considered young.

Considering average life expectancies are around 70-80, putting the 'half-way mark' around 35-40, what exactly is your point? How old do you have to be to not be considered young? Moving into the second half of your life qualifies for me not to call you young (though it's not really old either- more 'middle-aged').

Now I know a number of posts on here refer to GW's priority audience is their young gamers and getting them into the hobby and they do nothing for the veteran gamers.

Well if your 35 or under you are now the priority so you don't have to worry about it.

Interesting tautology you got going there. I'd argue 'young' describes teenagers and younger, say 12-16 in GW marketing.

It does mean though that next year I no longer count as priority and join the veteran group but I plan to enjoy my last year of being a "young" gamer with enthusiasm.

Ah, I wondered where this whine was going, you old codger.

chromedog
19-03-2010, 23:10
You're only as old as the woman you're feeling.

41 here. Of course, GW is no longer one of my priorities. I'm moving to Corvus Belli.
Even with rules translated from Spanish to English, it's still a tighter rule set.

burad
20-03-2010, 01:22
The reason I'm playing this game now is because it's easy. My current friends don't have the time or the interest to learn or invest in a more complicated game, or one that takes 8 hours to play a good game of. So we play this because it's easy fast and fun.

I liked the LOTR moves AND Judge Dredd. And the Sharpe's and Hornblower miniseries. Of course I was a military history major.

lanrak
21-03-2010, 22:16
Hi burad.
Have you seen 'Two Hour Wargames' rule sets , does exactly what it says on the books...:D

I am at a loss to find a rules set ,more complicated than 40k , that gives a similar level of game play.(Most deliver the game play of 40k , without all the abstract complications of conditional exceptions.)

GW plc appear to want to appeal to those people who treat GW plc as a charity case.

They willfuly ignore ALL the companies shortcomings, and claim 'elite status' from being able to spend stupid amounts of money on overpriced product.:rolleyes:

The wargames hobby is about creativity and social interaction, and working together to achive a common goal.;)

The GW hobby(tm) is an invention of GW plc, centered around 'selling toy soldiers to kiddies'.

I am suprised so many people get them confused...

EldritchRaider
22-03-2010, 11:30
Hmm....Well this is a hell of a post haha...
I can understand getting kids in while they're young, you know, so they don't like other stuff by the time they can think for themselves... But a lot of other gamers find having little kids around real annoying. -.-

burad
22-03-2010, 23:07
The last several miniatures game systems I played before i came to 40k:
StarFleet Battles. takes too long. good game, just takes too long.
Age of Iron/Age of the Dreadnought. my current buddies have no interest in ships (the ones that did moved away)
Shipbase III. (modified for iron ships) same as above
Empire Napoleonics. great game. buddies that did this moved away, new ones have no interest in napoleonics.
Battletech. Good game. We just started playing this again.

Napoleonics is simpler in many ways than 40k or WHFB, but takes longer to learn, requires much larger armies (and an interest in napoleonics, of course), and a bigger table. OTOH, you have to use real tactics in napoleonics, not gimmicks.

The ship games are all simpler, but naval tactics are kind of a niche interest and you gotta have a much larger space to play in.

StarFleetBattles just takes too long per turn and the turns are too complex. But we really like the starships; this is the one game where all my current buddies and I still have minis. Perhaps we'll go back to this one day if the rules improve.

So this is how we arrived at 40k. Plus we're all getting older, so 28mm is easier to paint than 15mm. But geez, this is expensive compared to anything else we have.

lanrak
23-03-2010, 10:54
Hi burad.
If you like space ship rules , have you looked at Full Thrust?
(From Ground Zero Games.)
The intro rule set is free to down load...

As reguard to 28mm minis, there are alternative manufactureres about.
('The Minatures Page' is your friend here...;)Lots of ex GW staff have moved to other companies and sell nice minatures at reasonable prices.)

And there are several rule sets that may appeal more.
Fast and Dirty, StargruntII, Chain Reaction III, Xenocide firefight...
Have alook of 'freewargamesrules ' on the internet to browse some FREE alternatives rule sets.

You should NEVER feel 'stuck' playing a particular rule set.
There are loads of examples of free rule sets you can try out, to see what you ACTUALY like playing:D.

Variety is the spice of life!

The biggest barrier to starting any new game is the start up cost.
If the (sample) rules are free and you can use existing minatures , their is little resistance to trying out new stuff.

You can adapt most rule sets to get the game you realy want.
(40k is particularly hard to adapt because of its restrictive and holistic structure.)
And most wargamers are happy to adapt and try out new stuff.
Because wargaming is built upon socialy creative interaction!

Happy Gaming ,
Lanrak.

Master Jeridian
25-03-2010, 17:04
The biggest barrier to starting any new game is the start up cost.
If the (sample) rules are free and you can use existing minatures , their is little resistance to trying out new stuff.

You can adapt most rule sets to get the game you realy want.
(40k is particularly hard to adapt because of its restrictive and holistic structure.)
And most wargamers are happy to adapt and try out new stuff.
Because wargaming is built upon socialy creative interaction!

It may be the biggest barrier, but the second biggest and close runner-up is opponents.

It's far, far easier to find 40k players than to find people willing to try out obscure 28mm skirmish rulesets (or heaven forbid, your own homegrown ruleset).

Most wargamers, like most humans, prefer their rut however much they moan, to the dangers of the unknown wilderness.

Once you've overcome the cost barrier, your next big barrier is getting opponents to do the same.

howlinmonkey
25-03-2010, 20:04
I'm 45 and have no urge to buy a zimmer frame just yet! I still enjoy the 40k universe as much as I did in the 80s.
Seriously,from what I've seen of gaming clubs,they tend to be populated by mainly over 35s anyway,plus they are usually situated in pubs.
Personally I'm totally in favour of us 'veterans',simply because it sticks in some(not all)of the historicals craws that older players play science fiction wargames!
We give credibility!

ftayl5
28-03-2010, 08:53
I nevr looked at it like that...
GW focuses on the kiddis/teens who barely have enough money to buy stuff with, plus they may be wanting to save for a car, the future, school stuff and have money for social activities.

Whereas the veteran gamers who probably arent thinking of the above things, have a job and have enough money to buy warhamer suff are mostly ignored.

Bizzare

isaac
28-03-2010, 10:01
Reinholt talked about this in depth, how the teens are actually not the biggest source of income compared to the vets.

Condottiere
28-03-2010, 13:52
It would make sense, if like cigarettes, you want to hook them early, and then have a loyal customer without requiring anything beyond some reminders that GW continues to exists and makes better toys than everyone else.

isaac
28-03-2010, 13:57
Except GW has crap retention

Higgen
29-03-2010, 03:22
They should probably get more fiber and exercise, then.

SandQueen
29-03-2010, 04:15
they should probably get more fiber and exercise, then.

EEEPPPIIICCC

:p

Condottiere
29-03-2010, 09:59
The vital stuff gets absorbed into the system, though I suspect, not at the optimal rate that would be possible if the process it was pushed through were more efficient.

panshandle
29-03-2010, 14:06
Reinholt talked about this in depth, how the teens are actually not the biggest source of income compared to the vets.

Do you have a link to that, I wouldn't mind having a read.

isaac
29-03-2010, 14:23
I don't remember in which thread he said it, but look through his posts (you see them on his profile) and you will find it.

Worth a look anyway, probably one of the better informed and eloquent posters here.