PDA

View Full Version : Cant get into WHFB. Can you convince me?

hendybadger
18-03-2010, 15:15
HI there, new to this section of the forum.
I run the newest GCN club in Cornwall and alot of the members plays Fantasy.
I have never managed to get into it though. I dont know if its the general theme, the armies or just the rules or models.
Running a fast growing club it may be good for me to get into the game but Im still very unsure about it.
Currently I play 40K Tyranids, Necromunda Delaque and Spyrers and looking into Warmachine.

Is this game worth learning and getting into if Im not that sure to start with?

Putty
18-03-2010, 15:19
high learning curve and requires significant investment in the crap load of models.

you sure?

unless you want to challenge yourself with tier 2.5 / 3 armies (meaning no Lizardman, Dark Elf or Daemons), there is no quick gratification in WHFB.

The Red Scourge
18-03-2010, 15:23
You probably need to mature a bit from the spacemen of the future, try again in a few years time, when you've developed taste ;)

Yes, it is a requirement to be condescending and snooty towards 40K players to play fantasy :p

Sons of Blight
18-03-2010, 15:24
depends on what you like- not sure anything really relates to nids in fantasy that much-
but their are more choices to pick from in fantasy - I've played 40k since I was 15 now im 31 and just started playing fantasy... have barely touched 40k since, if thats saying anything.

Lord Solar Plexus
18-03-2010, 15:34
I can only second what has been said. Oh, I still play 40k but ever since I started Fantasy it has been the system that intrigues and fascinates me more. Since I do not get that many games in and play one of the weaker armies against a pretty shrewd opponent, I tend to lose many a game, and yet I keep coming back for more.

Shadow_Steed
18-03-2010, 15:35
It is definitely worth getting in to, since you already have all the paints and glues etc required for the hobby it makes things even easier!

Just browse the GW page or where you intend to order from and decide what army you think look the coolest and go with it!

Arkfatalis
18-03-2010, 15:36
In my opinion 40k is better as all the models are generally fighting or shooting while in fantasy you can spend hours painting models and have them never fight, fantasy is more unit based while 40k is more single model based. I prefer the way combat is in fantasy, but wish more models would fight, but prefer the shooting in 40k. If warhammer was more skirmish based then it would become much cheaper and more people would play. TBH wait until the next set of rules come out, but look at the armies in the mean time and think about whether or not you really want to start playing fantasy or not . Also, the shooting, like cannons and alot of warmachines in fantasy requires guess work, while 40k just lets you place a template over a target and roll the scatter dice.

BigbyWolf
18-03-2010, 16:25
Play WFB...the Dwarfs of this universe haven't been inexplicably wiped out by a random alien menace!

Play WFB...the most popular of our races aren't exactly the same thing! (Space Marines...I'm looking at you...)

Play WFB...we get more girls then the 40k crowd! Probably because they find Vampires sexier than astronauts...

Shamutanti
18-03-2010, 16:43
The best advice for starting any new gaming system is find an army you like the look of it.

You won't stick with a system if you don't like the army you've bought.

So - look through the armies, have a scan through several of the army books, pick out a few models of each army you like the look of, work out if you can use them and how you can.

Make a financial decision after that.

Fantasy isn't for everyone, the same as 40k or Lotr/Wotr isn't for everyone. And as we know, there's no point in doing something hobby related if you don't enjoy it.

If it turns out Fantasy doesn't catch you, there's no models you like or how people explain how you do stuff in the game doesn't perk your interest, don't fret. You don't need to know how to play Fantasy to run a club (even a Fantasy orientated one), you just need to support it. If someone brings a Fant army down, get them a game with someone else, if you've got loads of people interested and playing Fantasy, run a tournament, put on cheap tickets, get some extra funds into the club to purchase more Fantasy terrain (or materials to make it). Heck, even let people know the why also, so those who don't 'like' Fantasy tournaments still may want to take part.

If you don't know how to run a Fantasy Tournament/Campaign, download some rule packs, ask around Warseer, get some local club tourny/camping packs that are just there for the 'fun' and keep it small in points if you're still unsure.

The most important thing to remember is they're coming to engage in their hobby with others, but helping them doesn't mean you also have to 'do'. Support is the key word here, can't stress it enough :)

Lord Solar Plexus
18-03-2010, 16:52
Play WFB...we get more girls then the 40k crowd! Probably because they find Vampires sexier than astonaughts...

Oh...I always thought it had to do with the most manly codpieces...

BigbyWolf
18-03-2010, 17:16
Oh...I always thought it had to do with the most manly codpieces...

Well, that might be the reason YOU were drawn to WFB! ;)

Condottiere
18-03-2010, 17:21
Don't do it unless you find a faction that resonates.

Or, if you need to dip your toes in the water just to figure out what it's all about, check around to see if there's a cheap army for sale, preferably already painted.

If you need convincing, the chances are that whatever you select first will be a mistake, so go the cheapskate route until you know enough.

AFnord
18-03-2010, 17:24
Let's not fool ourselves, we all were drawn to the game thanks to the many codpieces.

Is fantasy worth playing? Yes! It's a fun game, and quite different from 40k. While some skills can be carried over from 40k to fantasy, you will need to plan ahead a lot more in fantasy. I'm of course not saying that you don't plan ahead in 40k, but 40k is more about making plans for this & the next turn (with a general idea about how the turns after that will play out), in fantasy you need to plan 3 turns ahead.
Is it worth to play in a competitive environment? Not really, at least not if you don't have a way of doing something to limit the impact of some poorly balanced books. A comp system or similar feels nearly mandatory, unless you are ok with daemons, VC, DE & one or two lizards dominating the field.

But, borrow an army, get a feel for the game, make sure that you want to invest all that time & money into the game before you actually start.

hendybadger
18-03-2010, 17:32
Instead of being 'Immature' by playing 40K, I like it because I am a sci-fi fan. I dont even own a Space Marine! Converted aliens all the way!

I think the 2 things that put me off the most are, 1- The amount of models for a decent sized useable army. Dont like lots of models that are all the same!
2- Fantasy just isnt my favourite theme. 20 rats with knives dont do the same for me as 1 armoured warrior with insane combat skills

L1qw1d
18-03-2010, 17:33
I think it's worth it just for the experience. I like 40K but they are 2 different beasts I am learning.

In 40K there's more individuation and "on the fly" type of rules- because the game is based on tactics. Tactics are what you do in the heat of the battle when things go bad.

Fantasy is WAY more about planning- the strategy. Strategy has the plan to achieve your goal, and you can start off stronger- staving off the things that go bad, if your plans all run smoothly (...when has that EVER happened???).

I also think it goes into what you like to look at/ paint/ shows a part of your personality or gives you a challenge. My wife says she wants to try Woodies- well for me thats a LARGE challenge, so I may get into them.

hendybadger
18-03-2010, 17:36
The only armies I like the look of the most just dont seem that playable or competative.
Ogres - No Gnoblars
Warriors of Chaos - All Chaos armour. No beasts or Maruders
Daemon- Tzeentch only
Vampires - Vamps and Skelletons only

Llew
18-03-2010, 17:42
Well, with any game, if you cut out utility troops or role-playing units, you're going to have a tougher time being competitive.

WFB is a cutting-edge wargame for 1995 or so. If they stuck to the core of the game, it would be pretty playable, despite some oddities and lack of clarity. However, with the Army Books, they managed to muck up any sense of balance fairly well. It's tough for me to try to convince people to dive into it, despite the fact that most of the models are utterly lovely.

I think you should try to talk all of your WFB players into switching over to WotR though.

Jack of Blades
18-03-2010, 17:46
My wife says she wants to try Woodies- well for me thats a LARGE challenge, so I may get into them.

I would like to know if there's anyone who has a wife/girlfriend/alien/stone who doesn't play or want to play Woodies :p

hendybadger
18-03-2010, 18:20
My wife thinks Woodies are far too nice and pansy like to even consider them.
If its not chaos shes not interested!

BigbyWolf
18-03-2010, 18:26
The only armies I like the look of the most just dont seem that playable or competative.
Ogres - No Gnoblars
Daemon- Tzeentch only

TBH, Tzeentch Daemons can be very powerful, WoC can be effective without Marauders, provided you take a few units of hounds and some Knights, and an all Vamp/ Skelly army can also be good (lets not forget that "Skelly" can refer to Wights, Grave Guard, Black Knights and Wraiths...plenty of good units there).

hendybadger
18-03-2010, 18:51
With the WoC I would only want Warriors and Knights ect. Not ken on using ANY animal type units woth them.
The Skelly range could be good though.
Isnt the Tzeen abit bland? Only 3 types of unit!

Jack of Blades
18-03-2010, 19:05
With the WoC I would only want Warriors and Knights ect. Not ken on using ANY animal type units woth them.
The Skelly range could be good though.
Isnt the Tzeen abit bland? Only 3 types of unit!

You can make that work but I would suggest sticking to a higher point level like 2500-2999 for that kind of army. It's only there that you can really flesh out WoC with enough units to support that kind of army imo, at lower point levels I think you'll find yourself overwhelmed.

Good for ya.

Daemons in general are bland especially mono-god armies and I've picked up that WoC can become quite dull pretty quickly... VC are better in that regard.

enyoss
18-03-2010, 20:10
To be honest, I think you might be better off giving it a miss. Although I have my favourite armies that I like to play, I am actually drawn to all the armies to some degree. If you are really having to convince yourself that it's worth doing, it probably isn't.

That said, I was never keen on the look or feel of Necromunda when it came out either, but after a couple of games with a friend who got the game for Christmas it became my favourite games system. It would have been a whole lot cheaper if I'd ended up canning my Necro gang though, when compared to a whole WHFB army!

The Red Scourge
18-03-2010, 20:24

Not quite right..

[QUOTE=hendybadger;4494443]Ogres - No Gnoblars

Oh, you're right about that one..

Go for it, it might not be the 'best', but it can definitely dish out some pain.

Daemon- Tzeentch only

They're daemons, 'nuff said.

Vamps, skellies, wights (skellies in armor), skellies on skelly horses.. Thats a great army :)

And if you're really in it for the competative thing, then warhammer is much better than 40K, the lack of balance is more pronounced, so you can always compensate for tactical deficiencies by buying the No1 army :p

Tarliyn
18-03-2010, 20:31
well with an all tzeench army you could do some conversions and some counts as play and use units from warriors of chaos and units from beastmen and have a mixed army. Their is no wysiwg in fantasy so counts as is valid. That would help with the only getting to play with 3 units thing and also allow you to use the warrior models you seem to like. As stated vamp/skeletons can be very competitive and look cool on the field too. Plus basic skeletons are quick to paint. Ogres don't really work now, with or without gnoblars. A new book is on the horizon and no one knows how that will change things.

But even if you find an army you like the look of. Proxy a handful of games and make sure you want to start. It is expensive and time consuming (as you know since you play 40k). Also if you don't like the look of units on the board this may just not be the game for you. Personally I prefer the look of a ranked up unit to the cluster**** that is a skirmish formation, lol.

What I am saying is you can make the armies you said you like work but be sure you are interested enough before you pull the trigger.

Another thing to think about, is there a large 40k community there too. Because even if you get a fantasy army and you get it painted if you always choose to play 40k over fantasy then your models are just collecting dust and that is no good either. Inversly if you have no 40k community and a great fantasy community that also helps you come to a choice.

Pacorko
18-03-2010, 20:32
Funny thing is I play both, after 25 odd years... odds because many things have changed too quickly, but I still play both variants of WH.

If you need convincing, then your heart is not in it at all, so you really should stick to what you like and borrow a fantasy army once in a while instead of being forced to do it for appearences' sake. Who ever said a club manager had to have an army for every game run by the club?

The stronger points of Fantasy is that it is more rewarding about how you maneuvre your troops throught the battle to gain and advantage/minimize their disadvantages, and that the game isn't decided at list-making or deployment as often as 40K where many battles turn out to be very one-sided affairs thanks to min-maxing.

Not that you can't pull this off in Fantasy, mind. It's just that with Fantasy you can still put a decent fight and stop/fend off the opponent's ultrakilly unit(s) with some sound-if-desperate tactics.

But as I said: if you need convincing, then you are not ready to take the plunge, yet.

I would like to know if there's anyone who has a wife/girlfriend/alien/stone who doesn't play or want to play Woodies :p

Here! Hand's right up, mate! Mine has a profound dislike for elves; at least those of a "more common" fantasy vein, thanks to Tolkien and his many imitators.

She digs the Dark elves, but still has to play a game with them. Her favourite army is "them witchies" aka Night gobbos. once in a store she saw an all-metal Night Goblin army and laughed at the looks of the gobbos while saying a loud "there's even witchies in here". I laughed out loud too, and since that day began collecting a nice army for her to use. Thanks to BfSP, her horde is nigh-unstoppable and lots of fun to play with.

She likes beastmen, tyranids and ogres, too, and scoffs at any eldar.

danny-d-b
18-03-2010, 20:53
start up a deamon army I'd say- yep you may be called cheesey- but don't go to over the top (take lesser units say) and then if it doesn't work you can always use them to do 40 k

smallgreenguy
18-03-2010, 20:54
All of the armies you posted are either very competitve, with the exception of ogres, but even they can do really well with some practice. Ironguts with regen in the flank always eats babies for breakfast.

I would offer up that fantasy is a more satisfying experience than 40k, and therefore worth trying out at least at 1000 pts. Few other games will make you feel exhausted by the time you're done if you're playing with a decent opponent just due to the raw amount of thinking that can go into a win vs a loss.

wizbix
18-03-2010, 21:38
WHFB is for real men, so you have to ask yourself the fundamental question: are you a 4ok wimp or a real man who can handle proper close quatre battle? ;):)

Spider
18-03-2010, 21:56
HI there, new to this section of the forum.
I run the newest GCN club in Cornwall and alot of the members plays Fantasy.
I have never managed to get into it though. I dont know if its the general theme, the armies or just the rules or models.
Running a fast growing club it may be good for me to get into the game but Im still very unsure about it.
Currently I play 40K Tyranids, Necromunda Delaque and Spyrers and looking into Warmachine.

Is this game worth learning and getting into if Im not that sure to start with?

If the idea of fantasy battles with all that entails doesn't exite you, then do not bother.

You seem to be more of a 40k/skirmish type player, stick with those.

mortiferum
18-03-2010, 22:07
Play Daemons - if you don't like them in Fantasy you can always carry them over ino 40K.

Its what I've done - I have the Daemon army, all made up with magnetised bases so I can switch between the round and square bases.

So far I've played maybe 12 games of 40K Daemons vs 0 games of Fantasy Daemons. Still haven't been brave enough to sacrifice a 40K game for a fantasy game.

Stronginthearm
18-03-2010, 22:11
Play WFB...the Dwarfs of this universe haven't been inexplicably wiped out by a random alien menace!

Play WFB...the most popular of our races aren't exactly the same thing! (Space Marines...I'm looking at you...)

Play WFB...we get more girls then the 40k crowd! Probably because they find Vampires sexier than astonaughts...

Sigged, just perfect, especially the Space Marines

Get into WHFB that way you can play Xenos and not have to wait 10 years for every codex update

FORtheGREATERgood
18-03-2010, 22:22
It's definitely worth it but you may not find yourself coming back to 40k that much as previously said (though every now and then everyone needs variation). My 40k battlewagon and trukk orks haven't seen the fluorescent light for quite some time.

cyberspite
18-03-2010, 22:34
Well, if you aren't really that into fantasy I definitely wouldn't invest in a full army straight away. Maybe buy a small force (500pts) and play a few doubles games to see what you think of it. Or even ask to borrow someone else's army for a game or two.

The new edition is supposed to be coming out this year too, and I believe they are introducing objectives like 40k and making the game play a bit faster as well, so maybe it would be more to your liking.

Oh, and you should try WotR too, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Roark
18-03-2010, 23:47
I dont know if its the general theme, the armies or just the rules or models.

If you're not even certain about why you don't like it, I'm not sure that anything I say would convince you otherwise...

*deeply confused*

I've played both systems, and fantasy is far superior WHEN the opposing forces are in relative balance to each other. This is a general problem in Fantasy though, so you've gotta have access to playing partners who have healthy egos and an understanding of the concept of mutual enjoyment (as opposed to a compulsive need to pwn everyone they play at the cost of all else).

Asp
18-03-2010, 23:54
start mordheim its way cooler than fantasy

Lord Dan
19-03-2010, 03:37
There have been quite a few pro-40K players posting here. That surprises me. Usually they stay on their side of the forum line...

Back on topic, fantasy has a high learning curve. In fact it's a frustratingly high learning curve. If you need convincing just to start playing, this game probably isn't for you.

Also, 40K players: go home. :)

Condottiere
19-03-2010, 04:21
They're confused by the last Forum reorganization - it's like when your regular Pub relocates down the road.

Grey Mage
19-03-2010, 09:52
There have been quite a few pro-40K players posting here. That surprises me. Usually they stay on their side of the forum line...

Back on topic, fantasy has a high learning curve. In fact it's a frustratingly high learning curve. If you need convincing just to start playing, this game probably isn't for you.

Also, 40K players: go home. :)

It might have something to do with many of playing both systems. Theyre different styles of combat, both have their strengths and weaknesses... is that so hard to imagine? I find it incredibly ignorant that so many players, on both sides, seem unable to value the other game.

To the OP: WFB is a good game, and if your heading a club you should at the very least be familiar with the rules for it so you can adjudicate disputes. Read through some army books fluff, see what calls to you, and then see what you can do with 500pts and work your way up if you enjoy it.

Memnos
19-03-2010, 10:01

My fiance wants to collect High Elves. ;) SEE? Totally different. They're elves who know how to dress.

ChaosVC
19-03-2010, 10:13
Chaos warriors is a 90% aggressor army and you have to take all kinds of shooting before you can smash your enemies face into the stone. If you can stomach that, I suppose you are good to go...but then you also have to learn how to use all the other option in the army book, taking only a few types of units will make your game utterly boring really fast.

But honestly, do you really want to start warhammer for yourself or simply because everyone in your club plays it. Its not good to force yourself upon something you may not like.

-Grimgorironhide-
19-03-2010, 10:21
I guess it all comes down to if you like fantasy, medieval settings and you can afford to invest in it.

I myself tried getting into 40k but scifi is just not my thing. I mean I love the background from a reading point of view but I am a fantasy person at heart.

For gameplay it can be quite fun and tactical aslong as you keep your lists friendly and fun. I despise powergaming.

Also I would advise against starting with a horde army since it can cost an absolute fortune nowdays.

cheers.

hendybadger
19-03-2010, 11:14
Thanks for all of this. Lots to think about

ashc
19-03-2010, 11:53
I think if you need serious convincing then its probably not for you, particularly if there is no one race that jumps out and says 'play me'.

hendybadger
19-03-2010, 17:11
I think you may be right. All these thoughts and still nothing overly inspiring

Lord Dan
19-03-2010, 17:17
It might have something to do with many of playing both systems. Theyre different styles of combat, both have their strengths and weaknesses... is that so hard to imagine? I find it incredibly ignorant that so many players, on both sides, seem unable to value the other game.

To the OP: WFB is a good game, and if your heading a club you should at the very least be familiar with the rules for it so you can adjudicate disputes. Read through some army books fluff, see what calls to you, and then see what you can do with 500pts and work your way up if you enjoy it.

I'm sure you made a point somewhere in there, but it was drowned out by the noise created with the implication that 40K is a system comparable to fantasy.

First of all, how dare you?

BigbyWolf
19-03-2010, 17:59
I'm sure you made a point somewhere in there, but it was drowned out by the noise created with the implication that 40K is a system comparable to fantasy.

I laughed...hard, and perhaps wet myself a little...

Charistoph
19-03-2010, 18:12
Of course, there are many different ways to play.

Like Chaos Warriors, but don't like all the extra? Buy Chaos Knights, but use the Bretonnian army book. They'd LOVE that. :D

But probably a better question, what draws you to the armies you play in 40K?

What has turned you off from Fantasy so far?

smallgreenguy
19-03-2010, 21:40
What has turned you off from Fantasy so far?

I was wondering this too, is it more of a gameplay thing or a fluff thing? It's hard to imagine a 40k player not liking the fluff of fantasy, so I'm wondering if you have some reservations about perceived gameplay that's turning you away? Although I guess it's possible to not like fantasy fluff!

Grey Mage
19-03-2010, 22:13

I dare many things, including handing out reality checks as part of my day job ;). Its risky, but not as bad as being a repo man, or time traveling.

But for reference, Im sure my point was that he should play fantasy ;).

Bouncl
19-03-2010, 23:16

Well, it's quite easy. I mean, they're both made by the same company! :p

On a more serious note, I too have looked at Fantasy several times. The setting attracts me, and the rules look fine. What really bugs me is the metagame. I see a lot of people taking mages and the like, and large amounts of characters, and that's not entirely the game I want to play. I like my little guys to be able to do stuff, yanno?

The other thing is Tomb Kings. I think Tomb Kings are awesome, and I'd have an army if it weren't for the fact that they're so old!

Lord Dan
19-03-2010, 23:23
I dare many things, including handing out reality checks as part of my day job ;). Its risky, but not as bad as being a repo man, or time traveling.

But for reference, Im sure my point was that he should play fantasy ;).

Fair enough. :p

Pacorko
20-03-2010, 00:14
They're confused by the last Forum reorganization - it's like when your regular Pub relocates down the road.

Yes. Right after trading locations with the gay bar.

Good times had by all... onlookers!:p

To the OP: WFB is a good game, and if your heading a club you should at the very least be familiar with the rules for it so you can adjudicate disputes.

:wtf:

Erm... pray thee why? A club organizer is by no means the "over-judge". He just heads the club for mant blokes and lasses to play in, each game/tourney can have it's own judge selected from its player base.

Otherwise, the Club's head will have a real deal having to listen all the sual gripes from 40Kers, and then come to adjudicate on some quite obscure happenstance in WHFB games that are not explicitly covered in the rules...:shifty:

Fortunately, we WHFBers know those are few and far between... :p

Dantès
20-03-2010, 04:29
Another one for the 'my girlfriend doesn't like elves' camp :p She wants me to start Lizardmen or Dwarfs, and doesn't like my Skaven because they're 'not cute!'

If it's any help, I tried to get a friend of mine into 40k about a year ago, and he hated it. Three months ago I had him play a game of Fantasy, but he didn't want to try due to 'bad memories' of being bored playing 40k. In the end I convinced him, and he loved it. He bought the Dark Elf army book then and there, and has so far built and painted a 1500 point army :p

40k = throw buckets full of dice on the table, and pray for 4's.

Fantasy requires a lot more thought, and it's a lot more rewarding. Though I wouldn't recommend jumping in right away and buying the army that you *think* you might like, play a few intro games until you have a pretty good idea about the core rules, and use different armies (whether your initial reaction the army was good or bad). The only way you can really strike out an army from the list of what you'd like to have is once you play with them, and get a feel for the backround.

I started Skaven, because I liked the models. I found out I don't really like the fluff, or the way they play. So I playtested Beastmen, Daemons, WoC, Orcs, Empire, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, High Elves, and Ogres, and found that I either don't like the way they play or their story, so I've managed to cross them off my list. Interestingly enough, I played a game with Lizardmen last week, and really had a lot of fun. Three armies I originally did NOT want, I now am considering (Dwarfs, Vamps, Lizardmen). Bretonnians (my first fantasy army, from 7 years ago) and Tomb Kings (love their fluff) still hold interest for me.

So, I've managed to narrow down the list for myself, but the most interesting part was that armies I originally thought I had no interest in, have now become of great interest to me. Since you say you run a club, you'll easily be able to borrow the armies needed to playtest. Do yourself a favor and keep your mind open, you can't choose which army you want from the get-go, only thing you can do is narrow down the list :p

Loki73
20-03-2010, 04:34

We have astonaughts!? Was that a pdf release =) j/k

I have a love hate relationship with fantasy. Love the minis. Hate the damned rules.

Grey Mage
20-03-2010, 09:26
Yes. Right after trading locations with the gay bar.

Good times had by all... onlookers!:p

:wtf:

Erm... pray thee why? A club organizer is by no means the "over-judge". He just heads the club for mant blokes and lasses to play in, each game/tourney can have it's own judge selected from its player base.

Otherwise, the Club's head will have a real deal having to listen all the sual gripes from 40Kers, and then come to adjudicate on some quite obscure happenstance in WHFB games that are not explicitly covered in the rules...:shifty:

Fortunately, we WHFBers know those are few and far between... :p

I dont know about where you play, but here the only reason to have a club head is to have a go-to guy for organizing tournaments and scenarios, wich also makes him the default rules adjudicator as hes the one least likely to be directly involved in the game at hand. If the two, or four, or 10 players cant all come to a reasonable agreement or obvious RAW, the person is supposed to call it after listening for a while, or reminding them of rules that they may have missed/skipped over.

They also tend to be the one who keep the written copy of the house rules/tournament house rules/ army composition guidelines for comp scores, etc... wich means again, they need to be familiar with the rules for any and all systems.

Spiney Norman
20-03-2010, 09:56
Let's not fool ourselves, we all were drawn to the game thanks to the many codpieces.

Actually I think it was the skink priest's lack of codpiece that intrigued me most... :eek:

I play both Fantasy and 40K, generally speaking, as long as you ignore the space marine ranges, 40K has much more inspiring models than Fantasy. Don't get me wrong Fantasy has some good stuff now, the recent Skaven esp, but many of the models in 40K are absolutely epic, theres nothing in the fantasy ranges that can hold a candle to my sisters of Battle army, plus I think 40K has much more in depth fluff to stir the imagination.

I started off playing 40K but mid 3rd edition I wanted a new challenge so I focused on my 2nd love after sci-fi... dinosaurs, and promptly started Lizardmen in about 2005.

Quite simply Fantasy is just a better game, even with all its balance issues and bizarre overcomplicated rules, gameplay is still so much richer than 40K. In 40K, as long as I remember my battle plan, my objectives and which models have the anti-vehicle weapons the game is largely down to who rolls better over all.

Fantasy is much more intense, everything can literally change at a moment's notice, if you miss something you could wind up losing a unit of even the game if its a big slip up, while ultimately you can still be defeated by bad rolling, as you get a grasp on the game and understand how the rules work the possibilities.

wizbix
21-03-2010, 02:04
Space Marines are cool but 40K does not have a fat, flatulence ridden Goblin riding around in a wolf drawn Chariot.

Condottiere
21-03-2010, 08:41
The humour aspect has been toned down considerably in Fantasy, which is a pity.

If the writers were smarter, they'd figure out how to write fluff that can speak to two audiences.

Xynok
25-03-2010, 23:50
Rat-people dude. Rat-people. Don't take WFB seriously and you'll probably enjoy it more

scarletsquig
26-03-2010, 03:55
How about you collect daemons, and use them as both a fantasy and 40k army?

Square bases in 40k, I know, but it's not a big deal.