PDA

View Full Version : khorne=corn link

ChaosBeast
18-03-2010, 20:37
well ive always assumed that khorne was just a mildly amusing name thought up by gw in the early days of warhammer but i was just watching a documentary on human sacrifice and it talked about how the aztec god of fertility and corn (the staple food source it seems) demanded death and blood in exchange for making the fields fertile. do you think GW could have grabbed the link or its just coincidence

Hasan ibn Sabbah
18-03-2010, 22:13
This theory is amusing and in, some wicked way, awesome :D

Popcorn for The God of Corn! Butter for The Throne of Butter!

Lyinar
18-03-2010, 22:21
You're both Disturbed! :p

No, really, look at your Avatars. ;)

Interesting theory, anyway... I liked the bit in Brothers of the Snake where the Inquisitor was mildly amused by the punniness of a bunch of Chaos farmers calling themselves the Children of Khorne.

Hasan ibn Sabbah
18-03-2010, 22:31
You're both Disturbed! :p

No, really, look at your Avatars. ;)

Ok Sir, you made my day. I totally missed it xD

Xyrex
19-03-2010, 00:26
i doubt it...

djinn8
19-03-2010, 02:02
Yeah they're a bunch of cereal killers *ba-bum, tish*

Grimbad
19-03-2010, 02:47
"What should we call the Khorne marines?"
"Eaters of Khorne?"
"Maybe we could slip that through, just make it sound a bit more sci-fi."
"World Eaters of Khorne?"
"Sure."

Nonalyth
19-03-2010, 08:58
"What should we call the Khorne marines?"
"Eaters of Khorne?"
"Maybe we could slip that through, just make it sound a bit more sci-fi."
"World Eaters of Khorne?"
"Sure."

Mind = blown

taffeh
19-03-2010, 09:32
Corn fed World Eaters...

e2055261
19-03-2010, 09:45
Come on fellas this is getting really corny....

Q what does a blood thirster eat?
A corned beef

Bunnahabhain
19-03-2010, 13:13
And the corns in corned beef have nothing to do with the cereal corn.

They are corns of potassium or sodium nitrate, and they got their name from the corning process of Gunpowder, which makes it more powerful, reliable, and safer, and which contains Potassium nitrate.

You can't go around making links just because the name sounds similar. Next people will be linking Khorne and Khaine.....

This one sounds unlikely, but there are enough bad puns scattered through the GW universes almost anything is possible.

DDogwood
19-03-2010, 13:39
And the corns in corned beef have nothing to do with the cereal corn.

They are corns of potassium or sodium nitrate, and they got their name from the corning process of Gunpowder, which makes it more powerful, reliable, and safer, and which contains Potassium nitrate.

Well, not nothing - they're called "corns" because they're "grains" of material. But yeah, it's a pretty distant relationship.

Many North Americans are blissfully unaware of the fact that the word "corn" can refer to anything other than maize.

Night Bearer
19-03-2010, 20:08
My understanding is that it's a GW corruption of the first murderer, "Cain", in that you have "Khaine" (eventually used as a Dark Elf god), corrupted further to "Kharne" (eventually used for the Betrayer), and finally "Khorne".

Why GW went with "Khorne" instead of the other variants, I don't know. This is simply what someone in the studio way back when - I believe it was Andy Chambers, but it might have been Jervis or even Paul Sawyer - telling me that it's basically a convoluted form of "Cain", which GW used and reused often during the early days of Warhammer Fantasy and Rogue Trader.

BTW, and I could very well be wrong on this, but I was also under the impression that the British term "corn" is (or was traditionally) the English term for what we Americans call "wheat". (With the British using the term "maize" for corn). Before the aforementioned explanation from a studio member, I remember my initial impression being that the name was meant to invoke the image of killing untold numbers just as wheat is harvested.

Feyaden
20-03-2010, 04:11
I still like referring to war hounds of khorne as corn-dogs.

ChaosBeast
20-03-2010, 12:30
some of these jokes are groan worthy, heck they all are :D

ScytheSwathe
20-03-2010, 13:06
Sorry for the lesson, but corn can be used to refer to any dry fruit in the form of a caryopsis. It tends to get used more specifically for whatever cereal is grown most commonly in the area, so in the US-maize, england (and presumably the rest of europe [i think its a german word]) wheat, and historically refers to oats in scotland.
But also shows up in barleycorn, peppercorn etc.

Anyway, im enjoying the horde(um) of a-maize-ingly corny jokes people. Im oat so looking forward to 'earing more........

Lord Malorne
20-03-2010, 13:17
Likely a link, Nurgle is stolen from history.