PDA

View Full Version : How do you weigh down models that tip?

Gararion
19-03-2010, 04:06
Am buiding myself a defiler and have come into the problem where its two DCW arms cause it fo fall foward. How do you overcome such problems? Hoping that I can insert a few lead fish line wieghts to help this, but not sure if that will work. Any other methods that you use?

don_mondo
19-03-2010, 04:11
A nickel fits nicely into a 25mm base (non-slotta) or glue a washer onto the bottom for slotted bases.

Troah
19-03-2010, 04:12
When my models are top heavy I normally glue some kind of heavy material on the bottom of the base.

Samus_aran115
19-03-2010, 04:14
Pennies work on slotties (If you can't spare 5 cents). I sometimes fill the bases with cheap modeling clay and then harden it. It adds good weight.

Wrong forum, me thinks. belongs in MP&T.

Also, try placing the coin farther to one side, to counteract the weight. :)

BigBadBull
19-03-2010, 04:18
tungsten fishing weights and coins under the bases

Samus_aran115
19-03-2010, 04:18
Am buiding myself a defiler and have come into the problem where its two DCW arms cause it fo fall foward. How do you overcome such problems? Hoping that I can insert a few lead fish line wieghts to help this, but not sure if that will work. Any other methods that you use?

Ohwait, didn't read this, just the second post,lol.

Um, try weighing down the back of the Defiler, so it pulls the rest up. You can glue things inside the defiler if you haven't glued it already. I put some fishing weights glued into the hull for mine. Makes it feel heavy as a metal model.

Sykorax
19-03-2010, 04:47
I have the same issue but running a nurgle force so I may throw a few nurglings on the back to keep him down.

For other gods - use marbles & sculpt him a set of balls.

New Cult King
19-03-2010, 04:49
Those big chunks of metal you cut off your metal minis work a treat :D Recycling ftw.

Maskedman5oh4
19-03-2010, 05:02
I have used washers and round pieces of worthless copper cut to fit. Everyone has a supply of round wothless copper (state-side atleast). :confused:

Setesh
19-03-2010, 05:49
fishing weights work really well

Amornar
19-03-2010, 06:03
Steel washers, a variety pack of different sizes is a great assist on my desk from weighing down bases to bulking up dreadnaughts.

cuda1179
19-03-2010, 06:11
The defiler is a nasty piece to balance. MOst of my friends figured it out BEFORE assembly and practically filled the back legs with small fishing weights. Whatever you do make the middle set of legs stick as far forward as you can.

When I assembled mine I didn't know about the tipping issue, and it was far too late to put weight on the inside. Luckily I found a large metal monster head in the store bits box and hung that on the back of the defiler along with some metal "chains" that I believe came with the Dark Eldar Jetbike box set.

If you find that your Defile is still tipping, build yourself a large mark of your favorite god, fill that with weight, and hang it on the back of the defiler.

Plastic Rat
19-03-2010, 06:13
You can overcome a lot of balance problems with posing. Often a pose that makes the model fall over isn't natural, unless the pose is frozen in a state of intense action.

I would look at your pose again and see what you could do to balance it out. If you REALLY wanted a pose that over-balanced the model, you're going to be stuck with weights. See if you could possibly base it or work small washers into parts of the model where they won't be seen or blend in with the model to offset it.

Another option is a flying base underneath the body. On a defiler it shouldn't be all that noticeable if you leave it clear.

marv335
19-03-2010, 08:37
First up, save yourself a load of gaming problems and put the defiler on a base.
then you can adjust the CofG with weighted scenery. I recommend the metal dead space marines from mail order

Tourniquet
19-03-2010, 10:24
2 5cent coins (australian) fits perfect and adds enough weight to even way down the old metal lascannon and other metal dev weapons

Axel
19-03-2010, 10:26
Models that tip despite a weighted base can be easily fixed by gluing a small chunk of plastic (a stabilizer fin) to the outside of the base. I know that we usually try to fix it without changing the look, but I found that this works so much better then weights...

Latro_
19-03-2010, 10:39
Worth noting gluing coins to things is prob illegal in your country but meh no one will find out heh.

I'v never had tipping probs with deflilers.. odd.

I'd glue some weights under its main hull, no one looks there and it should help out.

Bestaltan
19-03-2010, 11:07
Worth noting gluing coins to things is prob illegal in your country but meh no one will find out heh.

That would be an interesting conversation in jail.....
"What'cha in for, mac?"
"Coin gluing."
"You too, huh?"

For smaller, front heavy models, I've often used decorative rocks on the bases. It keeps them weighted down, plus it also adds to the look of the model, once I paint the rocks up.

Placement on the base can also help smaller front heavy models. If you glue them to the very back of the base, that can help counterbalance them.

For models without bases, as has been said, drop some weight either into the model, or sculpt some additional weight into the back of it.

Deetwo
19-03-2010, 11:12
Steel washers cost practically nothing and there's a huge variety of different sizes, so you can have suitable ones for all your models.
I even put them on the bases of models that do not normally have any balance problems, like marines. I feel plastic on it's own is a bit too light.

This habit was something that just stuck with me after playing Tyranids with a lot of hormagaunts that basically aren't even over their bases..

Thud
19-03-2010, 11:14
First up, save yourself a load of gaming problems and put the defiler on a base.
then you can adjust the CofG with weighted scenery. I recommend the metal dead space marines from mail order

My first thought as I saw the OP.

The smallest coin in Norway is the 50 Ýre coin (worth about 5p.) and according to the Central Bank 34 million of those have simply vanished. Surely this can only be the cause of either 40k players, or pirates. Or 40k playing pirates.

Bunnahabhain
19-03-2010, 12:29
I'd just base it, and it will stand up fine, and play more easily...

I've got about 300 20mm WW2 Russians, based on UK One Penny pieces, and a whole load more loose change forming the counterweight for a tabletop trebuchet- the flat doesn't have room for the 150 kg counterweight one I built. Using lead or tungsten weights, it would be easy enough to down scale the design enough to be in WHFB scale, but none of the armies I play have stone throwers of any type...

It's not just 40k players causing loose change to vanish....

the Goat
19-03-2010, 12:37
I have used washers and round pieces of worthless copper cut to fit. Everyone has a supply of round wothless copper (state-side atleast). :confused:

I hope you are not talking about US pennies, because they are made of zinc!

LonelyPath
19-03-2010, 13:30
For the Defiler and Soul Grinder I put a few weights or small coins inside the rear legs and body, it adds a counterweight that stops it from tipping. For anything else (like infantry, etc) I glue small coins of pieces of metal to the underside of the bases.

StormWulfen
19-03-2010, 13:39
I found that if you don't want to put a ton of weights on your defiler then position one of the claws so it is touching the ground (maybe smashing some poor SM/Guardsmen/Eldar ect into the ground.) looks cool and saves the model weighing you down.

incarna
19-03-2010, 16:16
Every year around the same time I take all my coins to a nearby coin machine. Inevitably I end up with a good number of Canadian coins. The trouble to exchange these coins isnít worthwhile so I simply hold on to them. I then glue them to the bases of my tipsy models and it helps to keep them upright. Sometimes, after theyíre glued, Iíll mush Mighty Putty into the cracks to add a tiny bit of extra weight.

I have a carnefex at the moment thatís weighted down with about three video game tokens, two Canadian quarters and about a half dozen Canadian pennies and the stupid conversion STILL tips over.

As a side note - Mighty Putty is AMAZING filler. It's not easily scupltible like Green Stuff but it really helps build up areas that you later shape with green stuff. It's much cheaper and extremely mighty.

Lyinar
19-03-2010, 16:29
Pretty much all of my Space Marine Standard Bearers that I've ever made have ended up with a penny in the base to keep them from falling on their faces.

And to my knowlege, defacing currency is only illegal so long as you do it to try to make it look like a different coin, otherwise those machines they have that flatten pennies into souvenirs wouldn't be around. Gluing a penny, or bits of one, inside a miniature should be no problem. Trying to turn a nickel into a few dimes, THAT's what they'll get you for.

Godzooky
19-03-2010, 16:45
I once put a couple of sandbags on top of Cindy Crawford after she gave me £10.

I jest, I jest. The penny under the base idea is an elegant solution. Adds value to the model, too. :shifty:

Grax
19-03-2010, 17:07
Nickels work great, glued to the bottom of the base, and you get 20 for $1

(if you can't spare nickels, then this is the wrong hobby for you ^_^)

From Shadows
19-03-2010, 17:11
Metal washers, which you can get a bag of for a couple bucks at a hard ware store. If i need alot of weight i use lead tape.

Hypaspist
19-03-2010, 17:45
Outside of the OP's Defiler if it's based, and it's centre of Gravity is towards a certain direction, I will usually put Milliput (much cheaper than green stuff, and more durable than your average clay, but no reason not to use Clay) into the opposite half to 2/3rds of the base to bring the centre of Gravity back to the centre. I find this works nicely, The issue I tend to find with coins/washers etc. is that they bring the CoG down but not more central

Your mileage may vary of course :)

SanguinaryDan
19-03-2010, 18:40
The only vehicle I ever had that had a tipping problem was a Demolisher (got a little carried away with the old, metal Rhino/Predator armor) and I solved it by gluing Chaplain Lemartes inside the engine compartment.

No more tipping, no more hideous, clown helmeted, disco marine staring at me from my bitz box.:D

Starchild
19-03-2010, 20:20
A model that tips over is usually an indication that the base is too small. :(

When I noticed that my Warp Spiders kept falling over, I put them on the larger bases (see the link in my sig). I think they look a lot better now, and they actually stay upright. :cool:

Lyinar
19-03-2010, 20:25
The only vehicle I ever had that had a tipping problem was a Demolisher (got a little carried away with the old, metal Rhino/Predator armor) and I solved it by gluing Chaplain Lemartes inside the engine compartment.

No more tipping, no more hideous, clown helmeted, disco marine staring at me from my bitz box.:D

Now I just have a mental image of poor Lemartes, his armour firmly affixed to the engine, yelling "HELP! LET ME OUT! I WANT TO SMITE THE ENEMY, DAMMIT!"

Hunger
19-03-2010, 20:35
A nickel fits nicely into a 25mm base (non-slotta) or glue a washer onto the bottom for slotted bases.

Or a penny, if you're from the UK. Thats how I weigh my tippy hormagaunts down. Works a treat.

You can hammer lead weights flat too, or if you're feeling adventurous you could try smelting your own. It easy - you just heat the lead in a saucepan, then pour into a little greenstuff mould.

Be sure to do this OUTSIDE.

Incidentally, if you happen to press a pound coin into the greenstuff, then pour in the lead, and apply a little shining gold to the finished product, you'll find that its much easier to buy your next box of models...

StormWulfen
21-03-2010, 00:28

If only I had room to sig that :D

Runt Nosher
21-03-2010, 02:22
I've had this problem a lot in my Daemon army which has quite a few wing armed models and some flayling Soulgrinders. What I've found to be most effective is pin it to your base and go the scenic route. I normally walk on the beach where I live and manage to find really nice and smooth washed rocks and some interesting bits of driftwood/kindling. Little bit of paint, flock, some fake bushes and you're gold. Either that or have him stomping a model/models from your most hated opponent.

Samus_aran115
21-03-2010, 07:03
I hope you are not talking about US pennies, because they are made of zinc!

yep. Scratch off a bunch of copper and taste it. It's zinc-tasting!

Pretty much all of my Space Marine Standard Bearers that I've ever made have ended up with a penny in the base to keep them from falling on their faces.

And to my knowlege, defacing currency is only illegal so long as you do it to try to make it look like a different coin, otherwise those machines they have that flatten pennies into souvenirs wouldn't be around. Gluing a penny, or bits of one, inside a miniature should be no problem. Trying to turn a nickel into a few dimes, THAT's what they'll get you for.

Thozze machinezz don't do anything to the moneyzz, it just spitzz out a custom piece of copper and stealzz your moneyzz. Duh? You can do whateverzz you wantzz with your ownzz moneyzz,azz long azz you don't turn it into someother moneyzz