PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Get Their Information from White Dwarf

War Angel
19-03-2010, 15:09
Title pretty much says it all. :D

Anyone else get what information they learn about whatever game
from White Dwarf. Be it 40k, Fantasy, or Lord of the Rings.

Usually this would happen from someone who's not on a board or doesn't
visit regularly.

I did it with 5th edition. Saw in WD a month before that something was coming and thought
it's either a new edition or a campaign. When I saw what it was I thought they just did one.
Not realizing the time that went by. :D

Thud
19-03-2010, 15:13
Nope. Last WD I bought was 302 (UK). The local shop doesn't even stock WD any more as no one buys it.

Sir_Turalyon
19-03-2010, 15:14
I used to learn information about the game from WD when it was there. As for knowledge about the releases, Warseer is usualy better source.

Bloodknight
19-03-2010, 15:17
I haven't bought WD in ages. I think the last one was the one with the preliminary Warriors of Chaos army list, a while before the WoC book. I only buy WDs with rules in them, which has become a very rare occasion.

Ph4lanx
19-03-2010, 15:31
I have a subscription to white dwarf. Personally I find that if you don't read into the magazine as many people here like to trash it and lay into it, I find it an enjoyable read and love seeing the 'Eavy Metal stuff they do, especially the last 3-4 months where they've gone nuts with tutorials :)

Creeping Dementia
19-03-2010, 15:31
Haven't ever bought a WD. Looked through one once, just seemed like a big advertisement I had to pay to read:eyebrows:. I can think of many things I'd rather spend money on. Is there ever anything actually worth reading in there?

CoolKidRoc
19-03-2010, 15:42
Back ten years ago when it was like 4 or 5 bucks I used to buy it, but now with it being close to 10 dollars I just don't have any reason to buy it. Especially with no updates of rules or things along those lines, but they'll be suckering me in with WD 366 as there are supposed to be new rules for Eldar Vehicles in there, those jerks.

cptmachine
19-03-2010, 15:51
I have a subscription to white dwarf. Personally I find that if you don't read into the magazine as many people here like to trash it and lay into it, I find it an enjoyable read and love seeing the 'Eavy Metal stuff they do, especially the last 3-4 months where they've gone nuts with tutorials :)

Yes I find that the quality this year has really improved with more datasheets for apcolaypse, Tutorials, and better battle reports.

Granted its still very adverty but not as bad as it used to be, not sure about the articles which are basically pictures of new sprues then again as modellers its not bad to see what you get.

We need more hobby articles and tactica like we used to get to bring it back up to parr.

soul destroyer
19-03-2010, 15:57
when I first started out in 40k about 4 years ago WD was a must read and as a newb I guess it taught me a few things, but these days I rarely buy it. A quick look in the newsagent and I'm done.

Just seems like a big advert

Void Reaper
19-03-2010, 16:01
I like WD, especially the modeling tutorials. They had a great section years ago about battle damage on Space Marines. Also, the special missions and Apocalypse games are fun eye candy, and they provide plenty of ideas. I will say, though, that battle reports have gone WAY down hill in the last few years. I used to love them, now they're not much use to someone who actually wants to know stuff about the new army.

It's advertising-heavy, but what do you expect? It's totally within GW's prerogative to advertise within their own magazine.

Hrw-Amen
19-03-2010, 16:04
I still buy it and read through it although it is nowhere near as good as it used to be. It does appear to be one long advert nowadays. I much prefered it when they included more stuff that was converted, or sent in by people etc, although I know that was a long time ago. I think myself the best ones were around the time that Rougues Trader was first released, around issued 90 - 110'ish.

Creeping Dementia
19-03-2010, 16:10
We need more hobby articles and tactica like we used to get to bring it back up to parr.

Good hobby articles would be great. Tacticas though... even though I don't read WD I have looked though the Bat Reps before, seems to me the guys writing those wouldn't know useful tactics if it were a 400lb woman smacking them upside the head. I just get the feeling a tactica section would be filler, with either dumb ideas, or blatantly obvious ones (take TH/SS termies, put in Landraider, drive mindlessly toward the enemy... we really need wasted paper on that?).

War Angel
19-03-2010, 16:15
I can think of many things I'd rather spend money on, like a hammer to smash my own hand with:rolleyes:.
Reminds me of the episode in South Park where the Scout Master tells
them not to talk about the pictures and Butters smashes his hand with
a hammer when someone asks.

Is there ever anything actually worth reading in there?
I think so. There was a recent one with Legion of the Damned in it. That had some story, including
some new theories on who they were. I still belive the Fire Hawks one as that's probably the official
one. The rest just for show.

I only buy WDs with rules in them, which has become a very rare occasion.
I know. :(

WHatever happened to Chapter Approved. I know Andy Chambers left but why not continue it? There were times
I rated a White Dwarf based on the article. The best imo being rules stuff like army lists. Now I like having them
even if they're for stuff I don't collect.

Standard Bearer is good. I like reading the history of the game and Jervis Johnson seems like a cool guy.

I have a subscription to white dwarf. Personally I find that if you don't read into the magazine as many people here like to trash it and lay into it,
I'm seeing a little of that now. Oh well. Now I know. :rolleyes:

I find it an enjoyable read and love seeing the 'Eavy Metal stuff they do, especially the last 3-4 months where they've gone nuts with tutorials :)
I like the Golden Demon stuff. Seeing how good they can be and thinking
they must take forever to do that. :cool:

Yes I find that the quality this year has really improved with more datasheets for apcolaypse, Tutorials, and better battle reports.
imo 2009s were all good. Most were great like the ones mid year. New stuff coming out.

I love the data sheets. Not too many I can use yet.

Some make me think heretical thoughts like getting a Thousand Sons Warcoven. There are days I think Chaos will get my Dark Angel self yet.
I try to resist but Chaos just looks so good. :evilgrin:

.It's advertising-heavy, but what do you expect? It's totally within GW's prerogative to advertise within their own magazine.

Of course. They're an evil corporate entity. It's all about the pounds.

SPYDER68
19-03-2010, 16:25
WD's are best for the painting sections and see'ing modeling ideas.

Vepr
19-03-2010, 16:31
I would not mind paying for them if they started adding more content. It sounds like the one coming up this summer is more like what I would expect out of a magazine that costs 9 dollars US. I would almost rather have them release one every two months at 12 or 15 each with a lot of great content than one every month that is mostly advertisements.

DarkMark
19-03-2010, 16:40
They should advertise in WD. I can't see the problem with them putting toiletries and such in there. Would a few Ax or Gillette ads really be that distracting?

Price wise its on par with any other rag out there. 8 hardly breaks the bank.

htj
19-03-2010, 17:12
Back when I was a nipper (or at least just post-nipper) I used to read White Dwarf. Then there was a long hiatus when I left all things GW behind. A few of years back I returned with a vengeance to the hobby but something dreadful had happened. What had once been a friendly, interesting magazine, written by adult versions of my geek-child self had become a lurid catalogue and thinly veiled advertising tool. The friendly face had been replaced with a corporate mask, and everything just felt a little too slick, a little too corporate. I was heartbroken. I felt a key element of the hobby had gone away. What might have been a gradual transition was stark and apparent from the years gap. I looked back on my old WDs to see if it was merely nostalgia at play, but no. The format had changed. The soul had gone. White Dwarf was dead, and a stranger had taken it's place.

So, no. I get most of my gen from Warseer these days.

bluenova
19-03-2010, 17:24
@htj +1

(Coming back to GW after a few years drinking beer and chasing girls) I remembered enjoying WD and buying it every month, then I saw how much of a saving the subscription was, so I got that. For a while I was happy, then, I felt, the quality started to drop and I didn't bother renewing the subscription.

So I missed a month or two, but would flick through the copy on the shop shelf (gotta love WHSmiths - you can stand there and read all day and they don't move you on). One month there was something worth looking at in more detail so I bought it. The next there wasn't, so I didn't. Then I realised that if I added up the amount I was spending a year buying every other month's issue or so, compared to the subscription, I was spending more for less - then GW ran the special offer on the subscription a couple of years back so I would be saving even more in the long run and took out a few years worth in one go.

BUT, in the two years since I think there've only been two issues that I would have bought as the quality has dropped so much!

The battle reports used to be interesting, with two players using their own actual armies, telling the story of the game half in narrative as they went and showcasing interesting conversions - now it's just X army of the month, picked off the 'eavy Metal office shelf by the marketing dept. and they try to tell us that they've chosen those units for tactical reasons :shifty:

:confused: 2-3 pages taken up with how to assemble the latest tank - there are instructions in the flippin' box!! :wtf: Those pages could have been used for something USEFUL!!

These days I go straight to the Standard Bearer article, which is consistanly enjoyable and often informative. The rest I just flick through, looking at the pretty pictures and thinking about the army I could have bought with the money I spent on the subscription.

That said, the quality seems to be improving again :) By quality, I mean hobby content, not just pictures of the latest models :rolleyes: (did anyone else notice for a while they changed from calling it a 'magazine' to a 'catalogue' on the front cover - around about the same time the content changed...)

Shamutanti
19-03-2010, 17:39
2-3 pages taken up with how to assemble the latest tank - there are instructions in the flippin' box!! Those pages could have been used for something USEFUL!!

I have bore witness to a full 10man scout squad, made by a young lad of 11-12, being binned and replaced by two new scout squad boxes (for free of course - that's GW being awesome!) because he had 'supposedly' followed the instructions and ended up with 10 men, all with their hands the wrong way around (left and right got confused?) AND

and I **** you not

AND their heads UPSIDE DOWN.

All of them.

Every single one.

When the staffer mentioned it I peered over and well... the look on this kid's face. Confusion and innocence, bless him! xD

If that can happen with Scout squads (and I've seen many an adult butcher their models with too much glue and not reading the instructions supplied in the kits), then putting MORE instructions in the White Dwarf might be the only way to ensure those you face up against have their weapons glued to the model's hands and not their feet.

Hypaspist
19-03-2010, 17:42
I buy it most months, but haven't yet subscribed (probably should) I always find something in there that I gain some satisfaction/enjoyment/interest from, whether it's Standard Bearer, and 'the face' or a painting tutorial, or simply some lovely pictures, I don't feel like it's the 3/10 that I see in the White Dwarf thread sometimes.
This magazine has to cater for some very different age groups, and I think sometimes that get's forgotten. I am not saying it's an important periodical with absolutely critical information on every page, but for what it is, and the price it is at, I find it a reasonable purchase.

That said, I am not buying it for the news as there is very little for 40k that I do not already know/have an inkling about from Warseer. But that doesn't stint my enjoyment of the magazine :)

de Selby
19-03-2010, 17:50
I hardly buy WD any more, but when I started that was where I got my information. I suppose for other systems like LOTR it's the only place I get information because I don't look elsewhere.

These days I get my information from those emails that GW sends out. The lockdown is tight enough that the only information I care about (wht are the new models and what do they look like) is generally only available this way. It's less exciting this way but what can you do.

Ozendorph
19-03-2010, 18:09
I used to LOVE white dwarf. I've got hundreds of issues going back to 106. Unfortunately these days there's precious little content, just scraps of news (which is always stale, due to the wonders of the internets), and most of the writing is weak. The last time I bought an issue, the gal at the comic shop rang me up at $9 US (!)...far too much for a few nice pictures and a bunch of advertisements I could find elsewhere.

Remember when WD contained things a gamer may find of interest? Warhammer Quest expansion pieces, fun sub-codices, even complete mini-games...what the heck happened to that stuff?

Wintermute
19-03-2010, 20:56
We already have a thread to discuss White Dwarf here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972) and we do not need another.

Thread Closed

Wintermute