PDA

View Full Version : The WARP?

fox-hound
20-03-2010, 03:04
What would happen if let's say, there was an Eldar ruin wiht some kinda dark engery force thing and a portal opened and a Space Marine Captin got sucked into it? Would he be like instantly ripped apart into little pieces by the warp or would somthing else happen? If he survived could he possibly get out?

wazatdingder
20-03-2010, 03:06
My guess is that he would be moved to the background forum...

Oh dear, have I become one of those people...

OK, He would probably find himself in the webway, then he would stumble upon the black library and become the most powerful person in the galaxy. Until Ahriman stabs him in the back and takes his mojo.

fox-hound
20-03-2010, 03:10
Ah, I see.

fox-hound
20-03-2010, 03:11
What would be in the warp? Is it like Hell or is it just like another demition?

wazatdingder
20-03-2010, 03:15
Short Answer- Watch "Event Horizon"

Long answer- Read every book in BL and go to a few lectures on Quantum Physics. If you figure it out, write a book and make millions.

fox-hound
20-03-2010, 03:23
okay will do.......NOT! lol

Doppleskanger
20-03-2010, 03:32
its full of teeth and tentacles! He wouldn't last too long...

TheWarSmith
20-03-2010, 06:35
Short Answer- Watch "Event Horizon"

Long answer- Read every book in BL and go to a few lectures on Quantum Physics. If you figure it out, write a book and make millions.

Go for short answer. That movie is INTENSE!!!! I just added it to my netflix.

MadHatter
20-03-2010, 09:18
I always visualized it like the the Babylon 5 hyperspace.
though i would go with the short answer to.

Marshal Sinclair
20-03-2010, 10:06
He would not be ripped apart instantly, but he wouldn't survive long. Warp Spiders make short jumps directly through the warp, and most of the time they survive. But being in their for more than the few seconds Warp Spiders are in there for... I wouldn't rate his chances of survival.

htj
20-03-2010, 10:40
The warp is a dimension of pure energy. Physical attributes mean little there and would be altered beyond all recognition... or maybe they wouldn't. The warp is unpredictable and, well, chaotic. It's not unknown for physical beings to survive exposure to the warp, but precious few would remain sane. Certainly after any length of time. Eldar are better at it, they've had millennia to practice.

Do you have a particular idea in mind for a character, or were you just curious?

NightrawenII
20-03-2010, 11:53
He would not be ripped apart instantly, but he wouldn't survive long. Warp Spiders make short jumps directly through the warp, and most of the time they survive.
...as anyone using teleport technology, maybe with exception of Necrons. The teleport create a tunel throught the warp, so it isn't the same like being suck in the warp.

Marshal Sinclair
20-03-2010, 12:15
Creatures HAVE survived being thrown bodily into the warp. In the Ork Codex there is the story of the Hulk floating unshielded through the warp, and the boys loving it.

Archangel_Ruined
20-03-2010, 12:23
I feel somebody here should point out that there is precisely nothing quantum physics will teach you about the warp. Why someone on here feels that the study of how atoms and the bits that make them interact will shine any light on an entirely fictional magic dimension, full of demons, is beyond me. Quantum physics is not like scientology or kabala, it wont solve all the questions life throws at us, ever.

Anyway, moving on... The necrons don't use the warp, they've got massless FTL gubbins on their ships so they don't need to. How they vanish off the battlefield I forget right now, I think it was some sub-spacey gumph explanation but I might be completely wrong on that one. The orks are routinely exposed to the warp unshielded, but they like a good scrap and have their own psychic resonance doo-dads so it probably doesn't matter so much to them, snotlings don't enjoy it though. The biggest risk in the fluff hasn't been getting your arms ripped off by a daemon but daemonic possession whilst in the warp. That can ruin your day when you make the move back into real space, nobody wants to be the portal for a great unclean one...

sigur
20-03-2010, 13:35
.... demition...

:eyebrows: Seriously?

okay will do.......NOT! lol

You are a weird young man.

Anyhoo, everything you can and can not imagine could happen. I guess that's the only answer.

TheWarSmith
20-03-2010, 15:10
Foxhound: "demition", Sigur: :eyebrows: Seriously?

Anyhoo, everything you can and can not imagine could happen. I guess that's the only answer.

Says the man w/ a mustached squirrel as his avatar.

Seriously though foxhound, spelling and grammar are good things. It's really not that hard. I took the pleasure of correcting your homework assignment below.

captin=captain
demition=dimension
wiht=with
engery=energy
somthing=something

What would happen if, let's say, there was an Eldar ruin with some kinda dark energy force, and a portal opened, sucking a Space Marine captain? Would he be instantly ripped apart into little pieces by the warp, or would something else happen? If he survived, could he possibly get out?

HannibalSW
20-03-2010, 15:19
Check out the Bartimaeus Trilogy, first Book The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. They do not pertain to 40k, but the way the demon in it describes his world is much how the warp might exist. Just much more malevolent and hostile.

wazatdingder
20-03-2010, 15:29
:eyebrows: Seriously?

Is it surprising. Look at his signature. I doubt he gets information anywhere other than X-BOX and Sponge Bob.

Partisan Rimmo
20-03-2010, 16:28
The warp is almost entirely energy and floating monsters, so either a) He'll flat out be melted or b) He might be able to exist in some strange psychic form. Or option c) something very strange and unexplained happens. They all work.

Eldar portals tend to lead to the Webway, which is a much more stable version of the warp which you can live inside, but if a Webway portal is broken, then it'll send you into the proper warp.

Essentially, the warp is like a universe made of energy, where the daemons mostly exist in energy form. It's when the real universe and the warp universe meet each other that things like daemons and daemon worlds start to appear, as the two universes can start to manifest inside each other.

Hope this helps.

fox-hound
20-03-2010, 17:06
The warp is a dimension of pure energy. Physical attributes mean little there and would be altered beyond all recognition... or maybe they wouldn't. The warp is unpredictable and, well, chaotic. It's not unknown for physical beings to survive exposure to the warp, but precious few would remain sane. Certainly after any length of time. Eldar are better at it, they've had millennia to practice.

Do you have a particular idea in mind for a character, or were you just curious?

Yeah I'm planning a campaign and I thought it would be cool to have the main marine charector get sucked into the warp and come back 10 years later as a super librarian.

htj
20-03-2010, 17:15
Yeah I'm planning a campaign and I thought it would be cool to have the main marine charector get sucked into the warp and come back 10 years later as a super librarian.

That could certainly happen. Of course, to him, only hours may have passed. Or perhaps centuries. Of course, his sudden development of psychic powers and time spent in the warp would make him the subject of extreme suspicion to his brother Marines. I doubt they'd blindly follow him.

Damocles8
20-03-2010, 17:46
one big flaw in your campaing....the Inquisition....

Corpse
20-03-2010, 18:42
Eldar have webway portals. They use them frequently. The webway is a stable "warp" that has its own hazards because of the webway fallen into disrepair and being invaded. (webway is massive, sort of like an endless labrynth)

But for fluff's sake, if it was a warp portal, perhaps to keep a demon trapped deep inside a planet. The captain would probly be possessed by it if he was sucked in. And often since these things are prisons, he will also be trapped until it is broken and he's sent into the real warp space. Space marines are prizes for daemons so he wont be killed, but still possessed. Maybe mutated beyond recognition.

But if you want his story to continue, you could bend it a bit and say that he was put there by the eldar to try and trick the daemon into doing something for you. (they can see into the possible futures, if something looks good they do it)

fox-hound
20-03-2010, 18:55
I've thought of this, he gets possed and then he re-appears in the last battle and uses the dark demon to destroy some uber titen. Then the demon leaves his body due to some kinda spirit rituel thing that casts the demon out. Then in the next campaigne his true power is unleased when the marine are faced with immposable odds, he opens up the warp and like 1000000000000 (or 10:rolleyes:) warp angel things appear (im thinking the new BA models) and Polaris (captain) is transformed into an angel thing too and goes kill everything!!! What do you think??

Archangel_Ruined
20-03-2010, 19:54
I think your character would be shot in the face by a marine within seconds of returning. Doubly so if he was ever possessed, even briefly. The marines do not tolerate such things, first founding chapters or those with direct links to them are even less tolerant (they'd shoot him in the face twice). A marine army that was led by anyone who had been possessed at any point would be wiped out by the grey knights and ordo malleus with extreme prejudice. Unfortunately this does stamp on your fluff ideas. If you want to model some "warp angel things" you could always just have your character as some kind of living saint and drop the warp/daemon thing.

NightrawenII
20-03-2010, 20:11
Yeah I'm planning a campaign and I thought it would be cool to have the main marine character get sucked into the warp and come back 10 years later as a super librarian.
If he wasn't psyker(=Librarian) at the beginning, he could spend 1.000.000 years in the warp and still not be able to use psychic powers.

What do you think??
:eyebrows: I think, you could shake hands with Matt Ward and C.S.Goto.

tuebor
20-03-2010, 20:15
I think your character would be shot in the face by a marine within seconds of returning. Doubly so if he was ever possessed, even briefly. The marines do not tolerate such things, first founding chapters or those with direct links to them are even less tolerant (they'd shoot him in the face twice). A marine army that was led by anyone who had been possessed at any point would be wiped out by the grey knights and ordo malleus with extreme prejudice. Unfortunately this does stamp on your fluff ideas. If you want to model some "warp angel things" you could always just have your character as some kind of living saint and drop the warp/daemon thing.

If you've played Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising you'll see that it's not unheard of for a Marine to disappear under similar circumstances for a very long time and then assume a leadership position in their Chapter, especially if it's a rather minor Chapter in the great scheme of things.

As for the Inquisition that could be the main conflict in the campaign. The Inquisition gets wind of what's happened and drafts various Imperial forces to bring the Chapter to heel. The final mission of the campaign could be a showdown between the Marine Captain and the Inquisitor or GK Grand Master that's been hunting him.

Archangel_Ruined
20-03-2010, 20:19
When GW meets computer game plot lines bad things happen, that's all I'm saying on the matter.

tuebor
20-03-2010, 20:23
When GW meets computer game plot lines bad things happen, that's all I'm saying on the matter.

It's no sillier than the rest of GW fluff.

totgeboren
20-03-2010, 20:38
I could rather see that he get sucked into some warp-thingy, gets possessed by a powerful and sneaky tzeench daemon, and later returns and appears to be normal.
By some extremely unlikely fluke that my imagination can't make up just yet, he gets through the Librarian scans, and can take command again.

During some epic and decisive battle, the daemon takes control and destroys the titan or whatever you was thinking of, then he sprouts wings and tentacles and causes a localized warp-rift, bringing on a horde of daemons that kill everything.

Everyone dies, and then they lived happily ever after.

Lord Damocles
20-03-2010, 21:09
C.S.Goto.
Ironicly (or perhaps not :shifty:), Goto does actually have a Marine (Librarian) get sucked into the warp and survive long enough to get pooped out on an Eldar world (Dawn of War: Tempest).

fox-hound
20-03-2010, 21:45
The living saint thing is cool, but I was kinda thinking he could be a fugative (with a few loyal followers) hunted by the greay knights, etc. while trying to stop some kinda invasion by daemons from the warp to clear his name and prove his loyalty to the Marines.

totgeboren
20-03-2010, 22:01
To be honest, I think this is the wrong place to look for approval of any idea where a loyalist marine get warp-based power which he can then use for good.
The warp corrupts, and only a small percentage of those who are born with psychic powers learn how to control them before either being killed by angry mobs, or being possessed and then killed by angry mobs, or being possessed, then turned into a portal for daemons, being killed in the process.

Someone with no training whatsoever, being given warp-based powers, would probably be possessed really quick, or just be driven mad and ending up frying everything around him, himself included in an orgy of destruction.

I mean, in the Imperium, even marines can be executed just for picking up tainted weapons. If a marine is suddenly fused with enough warp-power to blast titans to bits, how do you think his former comrades will react?

If he gets powers, he is a bad guy. It's that simple.
As I said in my previous post, you could instead have him fall from grace, but maybe saving his comrades in the process if you really really need him to be a hero.

Col. Tartleton
20-03-2010, 22:08
Where is Philip when you need him...

http://www.philipsibbering.com/WH40KRP/40K_7_AM_9_Physcis.shtml

This should give you a taste. I find it a well thought out bit of unofficial fluff.

rodmillard
20-03-2010, 22:09
If you deleted "Marine Captain" and replaced it with "radical Inquisitor" however, the campaign would run seamlessly...

fox-hound
21-03-2010, 00:24
Ok so it's not going to happen. Okay I got what I need, thanks!:)

Marshal Sinclair
21-03-2010, 10:54
A marine army that was led by anyone who had been possessed at any point would be wiped out by the grey knights and ordo malleus with extreme prejudice. Unfortunately this does stamp on your fluff ideas. If you want to model some "warp angel things" you could always just have your character as some kind of living saint and drop the warp/daemon thing.

Except the exorcists. An entire chapter who have been possessed and exorcised. All their new recruits go through the same thing, too.

slayerofmen
21-03-2010, 13:39
i don't know i think it could work,

super librarian + super titan + super man = super awesome, which would be super

finish the campaign with chuck Norris descending from the sky driving the A teams van that would be well SUPER

and what's a titen i NEED to know

EDIT: then frodo baggins comes down dress like the Texan from the predator and lays waste to EVERYTHING

htj
21-03-2010, 13:48
It's what you should do to something when it's loose.

Archangel_Ruined
21-03-2010, 15:16
And you can't spell?

htj
21-03-2010, 15:55
That's a given, I think.