PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Fire Prism?

Bathawk
20-03-2010, 06:08
been hearing a lot of this possible product over on BolS. But I'm confused, isn't there already a Fire Prism on the shelf at my Friendly Neighborhood Game store?

Znail
20-03-2010, 06:16
The current Fire Prism is a hybrid kit with the crystal and the rest of the special bits being metal.

Cypher
20-03-2010, 06:32
Did you even read the question?

Yes, it looks like a full plastic Prism is on the horizon - the Incoming! Spearhead thread covers it (somewhere).

enigma-96
20-03-2010, 07:38
Did you even read the question?

Yes, it looks like a full plastic Prism is on the horizon - the Incoming! Spearhead thread covers it (somewhere).

DID YOU? The poster above WAS answering his question.

Also yes the current FP is a hybrid kit though a fair amount of it is definately plastic. Like the entire chasis for instance.

MadHatter
20-03-2010, 09:35
So will it be any cheeper? I need one more to complete my sunstrom formation.

enigma-96
20-03-2010, 09:53
So will it be any cheeper? I need one more to complete my sunstrom formation.

Sadly with the current trend with GW somehow justifying making newer plastic sets the same or more expensive, with a few damn good exceptions of course (mmmmmmm killa kanz), I think it will be unlikely that the prism gets any cheaper. Though I will say that if it does stay the same cost that their is a high chance their will be tons of extra, though useless, bitz in the box to convert your units up with.

MadHatter
20-03-2010, 09:57
I could live with some extra bitz, and I did not figure it would be cheeper. But hey it would be nice if they at least put it the shuriken cannon and maybe the vehicle upgrade for it.

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 11:56
they are making a plastic fire prism i hope they drop the price just like they will drop the metal cyrstal coz fire prisms are really ***** unless there are two of them:)

elvinltl
20-03-2010, 11:58
I would prefer Plastic Wraithguards....

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 12:06
Thats an amazing idea :D
ASTIC WRAITHGUARD !!!!
Eldar players will finaly be able to make a good wraith
army for less than 600

bryne3
20-03-2010, 12:17
Thats an amazing idea :D
ASTIC WRAITHGUARD !!!!
Eldar players will finaly be able to make a good wraith
army for less than 600

OMG, so true

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 12:22
2 squads of 10x waraithguard !
farseer
2x wraithlord

= .....DEATH !
and for players who like tanks then some plastic fire prisms would be nice ;)

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 12:33
I also think they should bring out some sort of new tank for the eldar. !
A more heavily armoured one with a higher armour and more powerfull weApons
than the falcon !! Altho i do love falcons!

elvinltl
20-03-2010, 12:38
OMG, so true

Eldar players have been lamenting this like long before Humans were born... and GWS still refuse to invest in Wraithguard moulds.

MadHatter
20-03-2010, 12:58

this would be better then the plastic prism in my mind as well. :)

Gargskull
20-03-2010, 13:04
I also think they should bring out some sort of new tank for the eldar. !
A more heavily armoured one with a higher armour and more powerfull weApons
than the falcon !! Altho i do love falcons!

I wonder what Eldar could have that would fit the 35 large transport slot, i.e. land raiders, battlewagons, valks etc. Every 40k army* is gradually getting one so what would Eldar have?

*Nids one is 30 but I think it still fits in the same class. :p

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 13:59
Think that mabey they could bring a super heavy like the cobra into local stores instead of FW.. Just like the baneblade etc :) that would truley but the eldar codex bakk up with all the new ones in terms of being able to take on any army

suprememidgetoverlord
20-03-2010, 14:10
I think the new fire prism box will include another option, with the rumored rules in white dwarf.

Maybe the night spinner? One box would allow you to build either option.

As for the cobra, I have one, and I've used it 3 times so far, and as great as it is and looks awesome, I've been asked to not play it as much, people complain it's too powerfull.

Wich sucks, but since I like to not be excluded from my group, I don't play it as much.

Mostly players that don't have access to S "D" weapons, like nids and space marine players.

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 14:18
Iv gt an eldar titan :D
and my friends grt anoyed when i use that but one of them has the chaos one so i aint complainnig :)
I think that eldar have some of the best vehicles in 40k for the points and definetly the best upgrade ( holo fields )

Ravenous
20-03-2010, 14:24

I wouldnt be surprised to be honest, back when I worked for "the man" there were whispers of plastic jetbikes, wraithguard, fire prism and the scorpion.

And of course I shot them down as madness.... but here we are. Should be interesting which ones (hopefully all) are true.

Gargskull
20-03-2010, 14:26
Most units are going to be plastic eventually, it's just a matter of when.

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 14:36
i think if they could make moulds taht were detailed enough then eventuly GW may make only plastic models :O

Archangel_Ruined
20-03-2010, 14:40
No, plastic moulds cost a fortune to cut so IC's will stay in metal. GW will put the things that sell in volume into plastic as over time they make their money back and then plastic kits are far more profitable. I'm amazed they recut the sprues for the chimera, that thing must have been a license to print money after all these years.

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 14:51
Awww a guess !
But after seeing what the terminators looked like when they released space hulk again it shows that sum AMAZING detail can be made on plastic models :D

also i aint sure but does it cost alot to make the resin models coz they are so cool looking :)

Gargskull
20-03-2010, 15:05
I have a theory as to how plastic characters could be achieved but don't want to derail this thread, look for a new one in GW general in a bit. :)

Archangel_Ruined
20-03-2010, 15:08
Resin is cheap to cast but unreliable so no good for mass production and sales.

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 15:14
Resin is cheap to cast but unreliable so no good for mass production and sales.

How come all the expensive models on forge world are resin then if they are unreliable ?:)

Archangel_Ruined
20-03-2010, 15:20
Have you bought anything from them? Warped, bubbly gubbins that require hours of careful work to fit together properly. That and the moulds break on a regular basis, which is why things can take a while. They cost a lot of money as there is a great number of man-hours that go into them and they're damn cool, which pretty much doubles the price of anything.

EldarLegend
20-03-2010, 15:29
Yeah i have a eldar titan :)
and i was just currious :D
i didnt realize that so many man hours were put into resin models :O
and i agree they look AMMMAZING !!

MadHatter
20-03-2010, 20:59
I wouldnt be surprised to be honest, back when I worked for "the man" there were whispers of plastic jetbikes, wraithguard, fire prism and the scorpion.

And of course I shot them down as madness.... but here we are. Should be interesting which ones (hopefully all) are true.

I heard the same thing about the wraith guard when i work for the man as well. So it was the only unit I did not buy. even with the discount it was not worth that much money. It will be cool if they finally get to it.
God I would pre order 3 scorpion tanks if they put them into plastics.

Archangel_Ruined
21-03-2010, 01:01
Unless they move some of the dark eldar imagery over towards the eldar, thus opening up the possibility of kit sharing, I can't see an eldar super heavy happening. I was suprised they went with the stompa though, so I might be completely wrong.

MadHatter
21-03-2010, 04:55
yea I would not count on the super heavies either. In fact i stay out of the rumor threads for the most part. So yea I do not believe thing even hinted at by ex co workers who still work for gw until I see it on advance order or on the shelfs.

Valkyrie114
21-03-2010, 05:07
LGS Manager confirmed the new fire prism.
... and hinted very subtly that eldar will be getting quite a few plastic options very soon.

MadHatter
21-03-2010, 05:25
LGS Manager confirmed the new fire prism.
... and hinted very subtly that eldar will be getting quite a few plastic options very soon.

well i am sure he did, and i am sure we will see some cool stuff. and I will be happy to add them to my eldar forces. But till i see it, I am not going to go bonkers for it. Otherwise I would be going insane as the Necon and Dark eldar seem to be coming out every year for the past couple from random rumors.
but that is cool he confirmed it for you. :chrome:

Bodric_V
27-04-2010, 09:01
My LGS manager says he's seen the new FP, and it looks quite different. and comes with a night spinner turret option. and there are 2 other kits on the way but he doesn't know what they are yet.

AndrewGPaul
27-04-2010, 09:06
If you go into the Rumours section, you'll see pictures of the Fire Prism/Night Spinner kit.

Lord Damocles
27-04-2010, 09:07
Who *hasn't* seen the new Fire Prism?

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4605380&postcount=391

AndrewGPaul
27-04-2010, 09:41
Bodric_V and MadHatter, apparently. :)

ChrisMurray
27-04-2010, 11:00
Yep pics in the rumours thread. (for a few days now)

I don't like the look of the new prism, the night spinner is ok but the prism now looks too much like a toy(I know they are toys but they now look like a kids toy).

MajorWesJanson
27-04-2010, 11:21
The new prism will likely be at the $49.50 price point that a lot of the other tanks are now at, which puts it at the same price as it is now.

Plastic Wraithguard and Jetbikes both seem like likely releases for the next edition Eldar Codex whenever it comes out, as most aspect shrines are tricky to shift over to plastic. Maybe a HQ box as well, for farseers, warlocks, autarchs.

[edit] Well, Striking Scorpions and Fire Dragons could be made as a combined kit, just different arms and head options.

chromedog
27-04-2010, 13:08
Have you bought anything from them? Warped, bubbly gubbins that require hours of careful work to fit together properly. That and the moulds break on a regular basis, which is why things can take a while. They cost a lot of money as there is a great number of man-hours that go into them and they're damn cool, which pretty much doubles the price of anything.

This isn't necessarily so. I've bought resin models from a dozen other "garage" manufacturers over the years, and ALL boast better (much) QC than FW. They HAVE to, they don't have GW's Customer service guarantee behind them (which would bankrupt them).
The man-hours on FW stuff is in the original sculpts which the moulds are taken from. The biggest problem they have is that the originals are only "100%" sized (and resin shrinks as it cures, so casts will always be <100% sized. Anyone with the Land Raider extra armour can testify to this.)

Most of the issues with FW casts are in the casts - not the moulds, though. Improper mixing, mainly.

The ALL plastic fire-prism and Night Spinner is pretty much confirmed though. The spinner has rules in WD the month it is released (it's on the cover).
I'll be shortening the prism lance myself and throwing the shadow weaver bits into the bits box (I already have one, and unless its rules are better than sub-optimal - like now - I don't need another one. I have the one because the model itself is cool. The rules for it suck.)

chromedog
27-04-2010, 13:15

This isn't necessarily so. I've bought resin models from a dozen other "garage" manufacturers over the years, and ALL boast better (much) QC than FW. They HAVE to, they don't have GW's Customer service guarantee behind them (which would bankrupt them).
The man-hours on FW stuff is in the original sculpts which the moulds are taken from. The biggest problem they have is that the originals are only "100%" sized (and resin shrinks as it cures, so casts will always be <100% sized. Anyone with the Land Raider extra armour can testify to this.)

Most of the issues with FW casts are in the casts - not the moulds, though. Improper mixing, mainly.

The ALL plastic fire-prism and Night Spinner is pretty much confirmed though. The spinner has rules in WD the month it is released (it's on the cover).
I'll be shortening the prism lance myself and throwing the shadow weaver bits into the bits box (I already have one, and unless its rules are better than sub-optimal - like now - I don't need another one. I have the one because the model itself is cool. The rules for it suck.)

vendrid
07-05-2010, 12:29
Hey guys was looking at the new fire prism model personally I think its ok bar the lance on the end so I messed about with it in Photo shop should be an easy green stuff conversion

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4170/diapo098e61e60bc1096f6f.jpg