PDA

View Full Version : More Chaotic then Chaos

Stronginthearm
21-03-2010, 02:36
Does it seem to anyone but me that we are having an influx of new pychic powers, Looking through the Space Wolf codex and their pychic powers look nastier then my own CSM, and they are (no offense here speak as you find) a bunch of space armored norse berserkers, why are they more attuned to warpiness then thousand son sourcerers (mangled the spelled on that)

Please share your thoughts, am I correct or just crazy?

iluvatar18
21-03-2010, 02:45
There are dozens of threads that have debated this exact subject.

I'm pretty sure consensus was that it's a new trend GW is taking. Fluff wise, Eldar should just Annihilate with psychic powers. But here we are and their powers are out done by Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Space Marines, and Tyranids. :wtf:

Just wait for Eldar and Chaos to get new codecies (spelling?). I'm sure they will destroy with their psychic powers, just wait for GW to get around to them.

Archangel_Ruined
21-03-2010, 02:52
Mindwar is still 19 different kinds of nasty and don't get me started on guide and doom, warptime is a game winner on DP's, I can't really see too much of a problem. I feel sorry for the lists with absolutely no defence against psykers these days (it seems GW didn't want orks to have any counter to pyskers other than a well placed headbutt, odd the way their other codeces have gone, similar for IG).

Stronginthearm
21-03-2010, 02:55
There are dozens of threads that have debated this exact subject.

I'm pretty sure consensus was that it's a new trend GW is taking. Fluff wise, Eldar should just Annihilate with psychic powers. But here we are and their powers are out done by Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Space Marines, and Tyranids. :wtf:

Just wait for Eldar and Chaos to get new codecies (spelling?). I'm sure they will destroy with their psychic powers, just wait for GW to get around to them.

Sorry didnt see any of those other threads, didn't mean to duplicate

nagash42
21-03-2010, 03:08
I think chaos should just have the powers they have now then just add the rogue psyker powers from the witch hunter codex theres all your nastyness

Mannimarco
21-03-2010, 03:22
theres an escalation in psyker powers, chances are when chaos comes around the powers will put lash spam to shame

Voss
21-03-2010, 03:32
Does it seem to anyone but me that we are having an influx of new pychic powers, Looking through the Space Wolf codex and their pychic powers look nastier then my own CSM, and they are (no offense here speak as you find) a bunch of space armored norse berserkers, why are they more attuned to warpiness then thousand son sourcerers (mangled the spelled on that)

Please share your thoughts, am I correct or just crazy?

Crazy. While weak psykers are easily destroyed or corrupted, psyker =/= chaos.

It has nothing to do with background, and everything to do with the current designers wanting more psychic powers in the game. When the eldar and spiky marines books come round again, they'll get more powers too. Unless, of course, the design paradigm has shifted again.

Based on the current trends (psykers are the new black), though, I won't be terribly surprised if Dark Eldar somehow get a bunch of psychic powers (or possibly just some more anti-psyker gear), and Necrons get a giant pile of anti-psyker tech.

IcedAnimals
21-03-2010, 04:22
with all the new psychic powers I sure am going to miss my psychic hood being map wide when sisters get updated.

wazatdingder
21-03-2010, 04:33
Just wait and see what Dark Eldar do. Yes, they are anti-psykic, But I am sure they will have something devastating to psykers.

x2wyckedx
21-03-2010, 04:39
Mindwar is still 19 different kinds of nasty and don't get me started on guide and doom, warptime is a game winner on DP's, I can't really see too much of a problem. I feel sorry for the lists with absolutely no defence against psykers these days (it seems GW didn't want orks to have any counter to pyskers other than a well placed headbutt, odd the way their other codeces have gone, similar for IG).

Yeah you are right. Powers like jaws of the World Wolf are garbage. The tzeentch specific power "Bolt of Change" is really what its all about. Thousand Sons sorcerers should be the most potent in the game. Eldar should be right up there too. Space Wolves should not have ******* pyskers at all.

TheWarSmith
21-03-2010, 06:18
I can't wait for Tzeentch Dreadnought sorcerors!!!

If they don't do that, I'll be pissed.

x2wyckedx
21-03-2010, 07:45

That would definitely be cool. I would be more than satisfied if we had dreads that didn't lay waste to our own armies. Even if I had to keep a sorcerer within x number of inches of him... kinda like wraithsight.

Znail
21-03-2010, 09:03
Just wait and see what Dark Eldar do. Yes, they are anti-psykic, But I am sure they will have something devastating to psykers.

I wouldnt expect that realy. Most anti-psyker rules comes with psykers, meaning that its somewhat self balancing. If you face an enemy psyker, then your own will be worse off, but you will also semi-counter the enemy.

Earthbeard
21-03-2010, 13:34

Can't see it happening, the fluff for Loyalist and Chaotic dreadnought "pilots" has diverged quite a bit.

Chaos dreadnoughts aren't honoured warriors allowed naps and resting, they are usually interred as punishment and always awake, hence the crazyness.

MasterDecoy
21-03-2010, 13:54
well at my LGS we've started calling the BA codex the new chaos codex.

Corrode
21-03-2010, 14:07
Yeah you are right. Powers like jaws of the World Wolf are garbage. The tzeentch specific power "Bolt of Change" is really what its all about. Thousand Sons sorcerers should be the most potent in the game. Eldar should be right up there too. Space Wolves should not have ******* pyskers at all.

I agree, the psykers that have been present in the Space Wolf list since 2nd edition should have been removed to conform to some weird idea players have developed that only Eldar and Tzeentchy sorcerors should have psykers worth a damn.

Znail that's been true in the past, but I could see Dark Eldar having a bunch of anti-psyker tech, because what's funnier than making a mon-keigh's head explode from a great distance without even having to bother aiming the dark lance?

Either that, or they'll get enslaved psykers which they torment, and which thusly function like Weirdboyz with random psychic phenomena going off everywhere.

TheWarSmith
21-03-2010, 16:49
Dark Eldar have anti psych now w/out an actual psyker. I forget what it's called, but it goes around forcing every psyker to pass ld test or die, and it's a plus/minus to the roll depending on proximity to the guy using the item.

Grey Knights are very anti psych w/out necessarily having to have a psyker themselves.

DE could easily have an item "psychich powers targeted at this unit, or activated within X" must roll 3d6, and discard the lowest on their psychic tests", or something like that.

Bestaltan
21-03-2010, 16:59
I feel sorry for the lists with absolutely no defence against psykers these days.......

And yet you mentioned IG in this group? It is a rare IG tournament list nowadays that doesn't have the inquisitor with two mystics and the uber psychic hood. If you feel sorry for anybody in this group, feel sorry for Tau. Zero psychers AND zero anti-psycher ability.

I'm to the point where I just don't like the psychic phase at all (and I normally run Bugs). With each new codex, it's becoming more and more like fantasy's magic phase, and there's a reason why I moved over to 40k. At least be like fantasy and give us the 40k equivalent of the dispel scroll.

Vhalyar
21-03-2010, 17:11
And yet you mentioned IG in this group? It is a rare IG tournament list nowadays that doesn't have the inquisitor with two mystics and the uber psychic hood.

This just might come to an end soon with the rumored GK book this year and the death of the allies rule :D

Inquisitor Engel
21-03-2010, 17:19
If you feel sorry for anybody in this group, feel sorry for Tau. Zero psychers AND zero anti-psycher ability.

Markerlights and a railgun to the face have always served me well enough...

wazatdingder
21-03-2010, 17:24
A quick thought on the cost of psykers, especially T-Sons.

Powers are way too overpriced considering:

1. You need to pass a psychic test.
2. There is a chance to nullify
3. You have to hit if you're shooting
4. You have to wound

Take Bolt of Change str8 ap1 24" 1 shot. 85 pts for an aspiring sorcerer with it and 4 chances to fail to use it.

Troah
21-03-2010, 17:24
I've always wondered, if the Tau have no connection to the warp, does that mean that some pyscher abilities will not work on them?

TheWarSmith
21-03-2010, 17:32
A quick thought on the cost of psykers, especially T-Sons.

Powers are way too overpriced considering:

1. You need to pass a psychic test.
2. There is a chance to nullify
3. You have to hit if you're shooting
4. You have to wound

Take Bolt of Change str8 ap1 24" 1 shot. 85 pts for an aspiring sorcerer with it and 4 chances to fail to use it.

Agreed. Why do I have to also roll to hit for BoC. At the very least, that test shouldn't be based on BS.

Archangel_Ruined
21-03-2010, 18:11
Why not, it's a fireball type thing. You've got just as big a chance of missing with it as you do with a bullet so go figure. Warptime is where the chaos codex is though, aspiring sorcerors are an unfortunate exception but they do get a mobile mega krak missile and a force weapon for the squad.

Corrode
21-03-2010, 18:55
I've always wondered, if the Tau have no connection to the warp, does that mean that some pyscher abilities will not work on them?

Most of the destructive ones would still work because they translate into physical phenomena. Tau aren't blanks, they're just dim (in Warp terms) so they can still be affected by the Warp - they just don't affect it very much themselves.

Archangel_Ruined
21-03-2010, 19:58
Indeed, being psychic dunces doesn't stop a lightning bolt of magical energy from taking your head off. If there were any powers that relied on possession or the such then that would raise more questions as the psyker would be dealing with inferior materials, for want of a better word.

Vhalyar
22-03-2010, 07:06
Indeed, being psychic dunces doesn't stop a lightning bolt of magical energy from taking your head off. If there were any powers that relied on possession or the such then that would raise more questions as the psyker would be dealing with inferior materials, for want of a better word.

Like these?

Gift of Chaos - The target is transformed into a chaos spawn
Bolt of Change - Causes damage through rapid mutations
Lash of Submission - Mind control