PDA

View Full Version : Pre Heresy 1k Sons

Sir Phobos
21-03-2010, 08:40
A friend of mine is thinking of doing a pre-heresy 1ksons army and I was wondering what advice you could give him? Also what would be the most representative force in the codex SM?

The Custodian
21-03-2010, 08:55
Um.... ONe thing i would suggest is get the artbooks (Collected visions), loads of inspiration in there.

As far as dexes go the chaos and codex marine dexes work also, however ive seen arguments for the other books also (not Black Templars though :p)

Magos Explorator
21-03-2010, 10:20
I have a blog here on Warseer which shows my conversions and, more recently, painting of the force. Perhaps it will be of use: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228225

I build it using the standard Marine codex.

War Angel
21-03-2010, 13:21
A friend of mine is thinking of doing a pre-heresy 1ksons army and I was wondering what advice you could give him? Also what would be the most representative force in the codex SM?
1. Do it. Pre-Heresy stuff looks awsome.

2. Index Astartes had a picture of a Pre Heresy Thousand son. He was red with grey or silver trim.

3. Also more librarians. Or sorcerers.

Kasr
22-03-2010, 21:05
i would go with the standard chaos codex because you can field sorcerers in your troops choices to be more representative of the obscene number of psychers they had during the great crusade because all the thousand sons had psychic powers to some extent

bigcheese76
22-03-2010, 21:16
I would advise using the Chaos Codex but just making the models look alot less chaos. For inspiration my main advise would be to run a few searches on google images of pre heresy sons and other stuff. Secondly, check out some of the awesome project logs for this kind of thing here at warseer, magos explorator has already mentioned his and I think there are a couple of others about.

Firmlog
22-03-2010, 21:17
Go with Space Wolves, super powerfull psykers and the Irony would be hilarious.

rodmillard
23-03-2010, 15:36
Go with Space Wolves, super powerfull psykers and the Irony would be hilarious.

And you can have 4 of them in your army...

Or go BA for the new librarian dreads.

IcedAnimals
23-03-2010, 18:48
if my fluff is correct many of the thousand sons were not psykers (all those turned into rubric marines) and the reason they have so many psykers now is the rubric when cast it amplified the psychic powers of even the latent marines. So they didn't have as many psykers as they do currently.

That being said I would use either the C:SM or C:SW. They were loyalist so they would be using loyalist type abilities and the chaos codex just isn't going to be able to represent them well enough if you take out rubric marines.

meno1
28-03-2010, 12:19
@ IcedAnimals from what I've read every pre-heresy Son had some inkling of psychic power, essentially making them all psykers. It was the sergeants and officers however who had more power and were more noticable as true psykers, but every Thousand Son could feel the warp, had a "third eye" kind of thing and I'm not sure what other powers as I haven't read that much into it.

Alarum
28-03-2010, 12:49
I am in the process of reading "A Thousand Sons" at the moment and have been putting some thaught into a pre heresy 1ksons army. With what I have been reading and the amount of psychic marines in the legion I think that a good representation of them would be to use the Grey Knights codex.

The ony problem i see is that 1k sons dont focus on melee as much as shooting. But it seems to fit that the bonuses you get for being a GK could be generated from the psychics in the unit.

Points are similar to the chaos codex so you will have a similar model count.

Raibaru
28-03-2010, 14:44
DA Robed bodies.
Maxmini 'librarian' helmets.
Tomb Kings great weapons.
Maxmini jetpacks.
Maxmini bits with spell books and candles

These were the things I organized for my thousand son experiment that I put on hold almost immediately after I got started.

You will make a very good looking basic sorcerer with the above kits with relative ease and the most expensive piece to get out of all this is probably the tomb king weapons.

I also wouldn't worry about the chaos codex if you want to use the SM one. It takes no imagination at all for you to convert your heavy weapons guys and things of that nature to shoot spells with the same profile as lascannons, meltas, etc. A lot of people seem to use the chaos terminator lord model for their obliterators. What's to stop you from using several of the above mentioned kit bashes as a squad of devstators?

baphomael
28-03-2010, 20:15
DA Robed bodies.
Maxmini 'librarian' helmets.
Tomb Kings great weapons.
Maxmini jetpacks.
Maxmini bits with spell books and candles

Maximini do pre-heresy terminator pads now as well :D

TheWarSmith
28-03-2010, 20:57
Which ones do you mean when you say "librarian" helmets? I couldn't seem to find them.

I'm trying to heavily theme my post heresy sh 1ksons egyptian, but it's tough to get a good amount of khopesh swords.

SandQueen
28-03-2010, 21:16
Which ones do you mean when you say "librarian" helmets? I couldn't seem to find them.

I'm trying to heavily theme my post heresy sh 1ksons egyptian, but it's tough to get a good amount of khopesh swords.

Look at the "Steam Knight" helmets. They look quite Thousand Sons-ish

TheWarSmith
28-03-2010, 21:29
ok, that's what i thought you meant. Yes, I agree, they look like that.