PDA

View Full Version : Valkryie Transportation?

Gonders
21-03-2010, 13:35
Hey all,

A question for Imperial guard players out there. How do you transport your Valkyrie models?

I just picked up my first one the other day, and aside from realising how cool they all, I only just realised how huge they are too!

My normal case is never going to fit even one in with the rest of my army, so how do you do it?

Thanks

Glen

castellanash
21-03-2010, 13:36
i was going to get one but realised the sheer size of it too. how about using the box it comes in and magnetise the parts? then you might be able to get 2 in that one box :)

neko
21-03-2010, 13:39
I'm currently looking into the same problem. One option that I'm considering are the Valkyrie specific foams on http://www.gamingfigures.com/. Before I splash any money on them though I want to see if my tank conversions will still fit...

Sabre86
21-03-2010, 13:44
The wings of the Valkyrie are quite capable of being slotted on or off, although I wish I did it with my first two, you can fit three in a GW small case if you lay them down on their side, two in one half of a large one if you stand them up..

Transporting my Valkyries/Vultures takes multiple cases. =/

htj
21-03-2010, 13:51
I'm a big fan of Kaiser Rushforth (http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/) cases myself. Along with having special trays for Valks, they look everso dapper, and they're strong yet light. Lovely.

Hal'jin
21-03-2010, 13:52
Detach magnetised wings and detach the base with the pole and fit two inside the case together with 2 Chimeras and a lot of infantry. Put a box with tanks into backpack.

Voila, 2000+ of Guard packed up.

For mankind
21-03-2010, 17:03
Old Fashioned:
A box, stuff if with old newspapers in between and you get six of this things safely from a to b.
If the box big enoug you can but the books and the GW foam with infanteri on the bottom of the box.

The only thing tricky is to find a box of perfect size....

wazatdingder
21-03-2010, 18:22
I only use mine at home, traveling with them sux.

Mannimarco
21-03-2010, 18:54
KR multicase has a custom foam cutout specifically designed to carry 1 valkyrie

tuebor
21-03-2010, 19:05
I can fit a Valkyrie and 3 Russes inside an $8 pistol case I bought at a local sporting goods store.

Todosi
25-03-2010, 15:05
Battlefoam has a couple options, one with wings on, one with wings off:

http://battlefoam.com/catalog.php?category=13

ehlijen
25-03-2010, 15:14
I mounted the rocket pods on swivvel extenders that open through the side doors. The result is that the wings are very thin and easily stored when removed (the slot works perfectly fine even without any magnets).

neko
25-03-2010, 17:56
I've just received 2 KR cases with Valkyrie foams, and the Valkyries themselves fit well.
The foams also have 4 spaces each which are meant for taking Chimeras or Leman Russes, but these look like they may be a tighter squeeze once I put the tracks on, and there's a similar situation for the slots for the heavy weapon teams, but this can partially be put down to my using standing men as part of my teams.
Finally, there is 20 spaces for infantrymen, and most of them are sized so that standard guardsmen fit snuggly. 4 of the spaces are elongated however, which is great for fitting in any figures in poses that take up extra space.

Spacker
25-03-2010, 19:40
I'm tempted with the KR trays, but for now I'm using some FIC pick and pluck trays with them shaped to hold the Valks tightly. There are two big problems with the FIC trays though - the edges are a little too thick, so the Valk wing tips are a very tight fit, which makes getting them in and out a little awkward; and the double sided tape used to hold the bottom of the tray on has a habit of coming apart, and combined with the tight fit sometimes the wing tips are actually stuck to the tape.

I've got KR trays for infantry and tanks and I much prefer the softer foam - there's a lot more leeway for odd shaped models. The rigid card boxes negates the problems of soft foam, and I've been gradually replacing my FIC trays with KR ones. The only issue I have with the KR Valk tray is the price - but given it's versatility I can see why it costs this much.

I have 6 Valkyries/Vultures built at the moment, so transporting them can be a little awkward. I tend to put a couple in KR cases in foam trays, and then 3 of them in an aluminium CD case wrapped in bubblewrap, 2 upside in the bottom and the other right way up above them, leaves enough space to get some tanks in too. I have a KR double size alu case that I was going to use for my Warhound, but I may end up using some PnP trays to get 3 Valks in that; the bottom one upside down, one in the middle reversed, and finally another above it.

I'm also considering removing the wings and adding pins and magnets which will make things a whole lot easier.

neko
25-03-2010, 19:50
Quick question on the Vulture: how large is it compared to a Valkyrie? Would it nicely fit into a Valkyrie foam, or would I need to add lots of padding?

Spacker
25-03-2010, 20:02
Quick question on the Vulture: how large is it compared to a Valkyrie? Would it nicely fit into a Valkyrie foam, or would I need to add lots of padding?

It's a little narrower, but not by much. You might need a little extra padding around the tail, but the rest should be ok.

25-03-2010, 22:19
the wings slot in, you don't need to glue them at all. same with the base.

Devil Tree
25-03-2010, 22:47
While I don't have any Valkyries, I prefer putting my larger models in tupperware containers. Just wrap them up in paper towels or cloth and make sure there isn't any extra space for them to be jostled around. While might not be a very glamorous way to transport your models, it's cheap and effective.

bigcheese76
25-03-2010, 22:56
Transporting Valkyries? Dont glue on the wings. Then I have a Jessops Camera case in which I can fit three and about four chimeras. I then lay the Valkyrie wings on top of the Valkyries.

KR mulitcases are great, but a bit too much for the foam for me, so I only have blocks of foam and infantry trays for them.

Xyrex
25-03-2010, 23:10
You don't transport Valkyries... THEY TRANSPORT YOU!!!!!

-also-

In Soviet Russia... Valkyrie transports YOUUUUUUU!!!!

lord_zyplon
26-03-2010, 03:04
The only thing tricky is to find a box of perfect size....

The Valkyrie box itself :D

I magnetized mine, so I take it apart, put it in its box, and stick leftover Pelican case foam around the model. A pair of gumbands on the box, and I'm set.

CushionRide
26-03-2010, 04:04
i use a large trombone case for my army case ^_^

40k Boy
26-03-2010, 10:31
I'll say the same as i say in all these threads....

Kaiser Rushfoth Multicase! for 20 the tray carries the Valk and 4 tanks, as well as additional turrets. AND you can get an inlay that sits in the top of the tray that holds 20 infantry too.

Its great value!